Review of Match.com

pr@match.com
2018 Customer choice award

terryr166
4/9/19

I'm a slightly above-average-looking, physically fit and well-groomed, middle-aged male with a better-than-average career. I'm single and looking for a female partner or a dating companion. I became a member of Match.com for 3 months; put up a decent profile with good photos and engaging text; and then proceeded to browse potential matches.

After sending out 40 or more messages and getting 0 responses, I spent some more money to "ensure that my messages can be read". This pricey little "add-on" allowed me to see if my messages were being delivered and then read (or not). Sadly, I discovered that less than 10% of the messages that I was sending were actually being read; 90% were "delivered" but were NOT being read. This tells me that Match.com has many active profiles with NO active owners. In other words, if you become a member of this dating site, you will find MANY potential matches who might as well be ghosts because the vast bulk of your messages will go unread.

Perhaps these profiles were once active, but the owners have long since left the site. In fact, I'm certain that my profile is being used without my permission to lure unsuspecting women into purchasing a membership. I've deactivated it, but they said they will "keep it on file for a year in case I returned", which is how they get to use my profile without my permission in a dishonest attempt to make their site look like it has more members than it actually has.

After 3 months of daily use, I had sent out nearly 300 messages and received only 2 responses, which resulted in 0 dates and a disappointing experience overall.

lik4
4/3/19

Match has just made it incredibly hard to find a "match" via a search. You used to be able to search by various criteria including income. They took that away. As the match customer service rep explained, wealthy men like to date the housekeeping women that work in hotels. I kid you not. It used to be you could search for someone who was on the same level as you, keeping possibilities at a minimum. Now, I get 2000+ matches. WTF...
If you are like Allex P who uses the site for "dating" - great. If you are serious about meeting someone to build a life with...GOOD LUCK!

franks467
3/26/19

Here's how to get somewhere with these meet up sites. 1. read reviews to avoid wasting your time & money to get to a site that gives you a real chance (e.g match or wejustfit.com) 2. Dont be scared to join more than one site if you have a good start or hear good things 3. Make a good profile 4. Send interesting intro messages 5. Dont message the same person if you dont get a reply, its creepy 6. Repeat as many times as it takes keep trying as usually when you're ready to quit you get somewhere with someone nice. 7 Keep the faith! :-)

richarda406
3/25/19

Don't waste Your time On These Over inflated Women Who think Only Money Buys Them Happiness. I'm a fairly Good Looking Man. I Had two Responses To My outreaches. One Asked For My Phone and would Call Me in a Week. She was Busy. After i Gave It To her. She Must Have died? These Gold Diggers (wanting To Wine and dine them....Beware..I Like FINE Dining) Are Either Cougars Or Women Who Need to Feel important By Having Men Write To Them to Make Themselves FEEL GOOD. Don't waste Your Money Is my thought For You.

allexp
3/20/19

I've been dating online for a long time now. Basically, you get what you put in! Match ain't a bad dating site and works just fine if you invest time in a decent profile. It has more members than any other dating site, at lest as far as I know. So you should be fine using it. Possible you are not lucky on it, in that case check out Yamvoo or Tinder. Also worth trying IMO.

deniset50
3/6/19

Ok, I thought I'd give this site a go just to experience for myself if it really works.
First of all, after joining I was constantly receiving messages saying I have been added as a favourite. Secondly I was constantly receiving messages, this is happening before I was a paying victim. I then decided to join, giving them the benefit of the doubt. Once I joined, unlimited for 6 months, asking how I'd like to pay, I opted for £19.99 per month. Ok, so, once I joined and read my messages, about 10 of them, All of which were not my type. After deleting 99% of them I checked to see who added me as a favourite. Upon doing so I noticed that they're were men in my favourites whom I didn't add neither liked. Oh ho, I thought, this is fishy.... not only were there non invited favourite but they're were also men that were adding me as a favourite unbeknownst to them.... what a joke. I then decide to cancel my subscription after just 1 day. Almost immediately after cancelling I received a message from a rather good looking bloke who claimed he was called Nick asking to get to know me better. I told him I have just cancelled, immediately after sending my message he instantly responded with a 4 line sentence. I thought WOW theres NO way on the planet could he of read the message & responded in less than a millisecond IMPOSSIBLE! In hindsight I now know that was a generic message sent to pressure me to stay, I then responded with "that was too quick...bye"!
I believe MATCH.COM is a scam & they only have a 0903 number which cost the earth to call so most people lose their money if they want to cancel or just can't be bothered. Don't waste money on this site, go out, meet people the natural way it will save you a lot of money, hassle & uneccessary stress. By the Way I had to give 1 star if I had my way they wouldn't even get half!

teef
2/26/19

Let me tell you how it works. Research shows that 85% of profiles on this dating site are either fake or redundant so, only about 15% are real. Redundant profiles are managed by bots and/or site moderators. Such profiles wither do not respond or send you a new standard response re; "Sorry, your invitation was declined. Keep a smile on your face and keep looking! The Match Team". Other standard responses include; "I'm sorry I don't think we're a match. But thanks for your message: I hope we both find someone right for us!", "I don't think you're the one for me. But you'll be the one for someone else, so keep on looking!", "You'll make someone happy one day, but I don't think it'll be me. Let's both keep looking for that special someone: they're out there somewhere!", "I'm sorry I don't think we're a match. But thanks for your message: I hope we both find our special someone!", "Thanks for getting in touch. I don't think we're right for each other. But keep looking you'll find the right match one day!", "Sorry I don't think right for each other. But stay on your dating journey and I hope you'll find someone soon."

Notice how all he responses are ridiculously similar? This implies there are some fat men with micro genitals in a dark room somewhere making up all these poor responses!

Don't use this site as it is a scam as are most dating sites.

They block you after sending these messages.

Tip for consumers: It is a scam and a waste of time!

christopherj161
2/19/19

I signed up for match last October and it has been a complete waste. The site completely ignores your preferences and your daily matches are filled with women who don't like people of your race, are out your age range, and only want men who are over 6 feet.

The few people that do match your preferences ignore your messages, and even the ones that do actually like your profile ignore your messages to them. This leads me to believe a good portion of these profiles are fake created by match.com employers to give you fake likes. I have also noticed many of the daily matches are repeated and even the profiles I have said no to continue to pop up.

Their only goal is to get money out of you and hope you get frustrated enough to spend even more money on their gimmick boosts. I paid for a 6 month membership and I am counting down the days I can kiss this site goodbye. I'm also going to change my credit card number because I have heard stories of Match charging your credit card even after you cancel.

This is the worst $119.97 I have spent. But hey if you like being ghosted and laughing at the fake profiles of women then you may enjoy it.

Their guarantee is also a joke. If you somehow match all their requirements to get the guarantee, then they don't give you your money back, instead they supposedly give you another 6 months "free".

Tip for consumers: Don't give them any money; its a scam site.

annien27
2/12/19

He's only looking for a hookup. Acts like he's a nice guy but he's not. He decided not to talk to me since I didn't have sex with him. Smokes way too much weed. At one point he kinda snapped and I don't think he even noticed he snapped. I mean it just came out of nowhere. He was talking and then he snapped and I was like wtf was that all about. It was just weird.

christianb126
1/23/19

You can see why match are still seen as the leaders even after all this time. Except for maybe wejustfit.com (really impressed by that one) it's hard to think of anything that comes close, really. To be fair, they have the marketing budget and the reputation so it shouldn't be a surprise, but all in all it is still worth the subscription fee. You will find dates if you put effort in.

anastasian7
1/13/19

WORST DATING SITE ever. Zero dates or matches in a month compared to many matches and dates on free sites like pof. Most men on there have ONE pic and do not ever respond to a gorgeous woman like me - as they are 90% FAKE PROFILES!!! Only real people they have is 60 - 80 year old dirty grandpas.. and as soon as I politely pointed out I was HALF their age and NOT interested in dating them.. I got a HARASSING EMAIL stating I am off the site for "improper communications" and violating the rules. Excuse me? Is this Sex Trafficking Site and Match Douchebags think I am their property and they are selling me to their 80 year old patrons? They won't even refund the $90 fee ! RUN fro this MATCH SCAM !

kevins611
12/28/18

ATTENTION all men, get off of all dating sites NOW!!!! Unfortunately women have what we want and they decide if you get it. The dating sites out there are just in to take your money and don"t care if the women are not real or live where they say or are not even women!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets all stop and shut this down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have spent thousands trying and every time it's a scam... Commercials are BS STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 days use of Match Cost me 1 year subscription !!!!!!!!!!!!!

elizabethc430
11/29/18

Men who are married , divorced with one foot in their previous marriage and not really available - you are asking for a broken heart if you sign up for this

tomw328
11/25/18

My account has been taken over by someone else 3 times in 6 weeks. Spend most of my time trying to correct the problem. That and deleting messages from women I've never seen before that some are thousands of miles away. Tech support keeps telling
me to change my password. Please, Even my financial institutions don't ask me to change my password every week. They are just trying to cover up their own technical incompetency. So I'm paying for something I can't even use. Also, I've noticed they like to keep old photo/profiles of women up even after they are long gone from this site. Just to make it look like they have a lot to chose from. My advice is to stay away
from Match.

sonyab37
11/12/18

Everyone says match is the best online dating site and I can see that it could be, but in my area its not quite as good as wejustfit.com. I started with match and then found WJF and havent looked back since. Exceptional site to meet singles near me, really is. Sonya, Devon

jacquier7
11/10/18

Did not find anyone from the site, it is a least a good site. Set up and functionality are good. Found more people looking for casual more than serious, but if that is what you want - Go for it!!

jenniferr429
10/30/18

Make sure you have enough money to use this platform or you get nowhere. I do not like the fact that you are actually paying for love and not actually finding love. A bunch of cheaters also. I'm good.

normanm49
10/21/18

Im a 68 year old fit person with a mid 50 appearance and looking for a serious relationship. MATCH.com let me down. I had a 6 month membership and was looking for a future partner with a selection criteria of women between 20 years and 67 years old looking for a man of my age! What I got from MATCH was 85% of women looking for men to about 50 years old 5% up to about 60 years old and really only about 1% to 2% supposedly what I was looking for. Out of that 1% to 2% only 1% actually replied to my invitations. Im under the impression that a large portion of supposed seekers are fake as you see lots of "Exact" profile descriptions.

melissav82
10/20/18

READ THIS AND RESPOND IF YOU HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE PLEASE!!! I am ticked! Usually when you join a dating site, the first couple days you get bombarded with messages and then the messages slowly start to dwindle. I have used Match a couple of years ago and it was non-stop messages. Nothing ever really worked out but at least people were contacting me. I joined last night again because I had decent luck last time ( I used profile I hid from last use but changed it up) Unfortunately, I did the 6 month bundle (had a coupon). I was getting ready to receive all kind of hits and NOTHING. I got an email saying my profile was visible and NOTHING. This morning I thought for sure, I would have messages but I only received two and 3 likes. I made sure my profile was not hidden and I that I didn't have any weird filters on. I would understand it if my pictures showed me looking like a toothless hick living in a back of a van but I think I look pretty decent in my pictures (adding one below). On Plenty Of Fish, I am bombarded with messages, so why not on here??? A site that I PAY for!!! Makes you wonder!! So, I decided to buy a boost( I know I know but it was a test)... after the hour was up..it said I had almost 200 guys look at my profile. Yet, when you look at the "who viewed me" there as no one new that looked. Interesting huh? However, I did get 4 likes out of that and 2 messages but they were all much older and looked like they could be my dad. Not exactly what I was looking for. I have messaged a few guys and NONE have responded. I think this is all a joke. I am getting super irritated. Why am I getting great results on other sites FOR FREE, yet a site I pay for I am getting NOTHING?? Something just isn't right!!

mieshaw
10/11/18

So I wanted to use match because I was tired of guys from POF and tinder being disgusting and shallow. I'm a 5'11 black woman and that seems to scare men off. So I decided to sign up for match and I was there for 3 months and only one person talked to me and wanted to be friends. And he ghosted after a while. I really did feel like I wasted my money because it wasnt worth trying to talk to all these guys just to be ignored in the process.

thomasp275
9/23/18

If you value your money stay away from this site what is funny is for all the positive reviews there are almost just as many of them with negative reviews as well, this site is a joke at best.
Safety and security is non existent. If you are not familiar with the way modern websites work now a days basically a website is broken down into sub sections typically called modules. Then those modules are assigned to a something with an id signature.
This is where the flaw comes into play if you can find a way to jumble up the id of your module, or someone elses, then you can gain access to their profile and access all of their messages, then edit anything on their profile, and just pray that your credit card information is secure.
When i found this flaw i messaged match about it because i was one of the people effected by this.
What does match do ?
Did they thank me for finding this and notifying them? no, instead they lock me out of my account which someone else had already changed my profile and was using it to message people in california when i live in oklahoma. he linked his account to mine to be able to message people since i was a paid member and he was not.

Instead of Match doing anything about it they just suggested that i reset my password, which would be fine if that module actually linked to my profile instead he now has all of my credit card information, he has the abilty to pose as me to other members and match does not do anything about this.
I have sense canceled my credit card and posted a fraud alert on it, but Match is not doing anything about this, and if you use this website you can become a victim like i did, i even submited physical evidence of how this is happening and match still wants to allow the loop hole to persist.

So trust me STAY AWAY from this company.
You can email their support which is really hard to find, but when it comes to companies that make it hard to contact support you should be very very cautious of companies like this.

Tip for consumers: Dont... OR atleast use some sort of prepaid credit card that you preload only the amount you are willing to lose to this site.

johns3216
9/18/18

The appealing profiles are usually fakes or no longer in use and the less appealing profiles are abundant (some are hideous). Your findings might vary. Match is a waste of time and money in my view.

alexanderb123
8/30/18

I thought Match.com was trustworthy. I was wrong.

Never mind the awful site interface that is far inferior to free-to-use competitors like OKCupid. Never mind the massive number of bot profiles, the search algorithm that's only slightly better than random. Never mind the shocking $30-a-month price tag.

They are legitimate scam artists. They automatically renewed my subscription (after I went out of my way to turn that function off) and charged me for four months (!!!). Now I'm out $120 for a crap service that I never used.

Please, don't use Match.com. Almost any other dating site would be a better use of your time and money. They are jackals who prey on saps like me- don't be their next victim.

caitlyns13
8/29/18

I disliked this site at first because I thought it was full of tools and rude guys who just want in your pants instead of a relationship/future. However, I can't say I hate this site because I met the love of my life on it. 4 years later, looking back on the experience, I can't complain. Even in life, you always have to go through people to find the best ones. The only difference is you have to do that online. I think it is worth it, but try subscribing when there are deals!

liyo
8/25/18

Using match was a no brainer. The people were grateful to see me and they worshiped me. I like the service and would recommend it any time you need a date

1,052 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I was unable to get a refund but I dispute the transaction and got my money back that way. I said it was because they were not providing the service they claim to offer. If you can dispute with your bank just tell them you didn't authorize the transaction and the company refuses to refund you. Good luck.

By Lara W.

Absolutely NOT. This is a site that has only one purpose and that is to scam you out of your money. Not only are there scammers as stated by Diane H. and Sally C. this site is completely dishonest about how it works and what you can expect from it. I'll share this one example to illustrate. When you join with a credit card, they will inform you that you now have full access to their site and features. You can now send mail to the men and start meeting them. However, there is a catch that they do NOT mention on the sign up page. The catch is that you can send all the letters you want to the men, BUT, unless the men are also fully paid members, none of them are allowed to read your mail and reply to you. What is the point of paying to use the service when the other side must also have a fully paid membership? If you have paid your membership fee then by all standards you are now entitled to not only write to the men but to expect them to reply back to you. Not on match. There is an extra fee that you must pay so that non members can receive, read and reply to your mail. This is a SCAM on every level. Please save your money and avoid this site at all costs. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Read the testimonies on this site and understand that they are all 100% correct and accurate.

By josh l.

Back in the 1980s, strip clubs were pulling all sorts of over charge and fake charge scams and forcing people tp pay. Here in Atlanta a majpr federal case against the GOLD CLUB brought all that to light and alot of changes were made in the industry..... I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE....these social sites seem to be attempting the same types of scams and are getting away with it. By U.S. fedeal standars ALL THESE SITES FALL UNDER THE RACKETEERING STATUTE. Unfortunately there is NO enforcement of these laws at this time. Your best option is to dispute the entire charge with your credit card. They may not want to do this because they are seeing so much of it. BE FIRM AND INSIST IT IS A MATTER OF CREDIT FRAUD. Also be sure to indicate that you are filling a consumer notice with the Federal Trade Commision (they have online forms for this to keep a numbers count on how many people are affected by these sorts of things. www.FTC.org). If you have been a good card holder, you shouldnt have any issues except for 1: ALL THESE SITES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR REBILLING/DRAFTING YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNT. You may want to file a COMPROMISED CREDIT CARD CLAIM AT THE TIME OF THE DISPUTE and have your card issuer SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT CARD WITH A NEW CARD NUMBER.

By kevin t.

You will have a hard time getting your money back Terri. The first time I was with them years ago, I forgot the auto renewal and tried to get my money back and they fought me tooth and nail. This time I tried both Ourtime and Match and both experiences were not good though Ourtime was a bit better. I agree with some of the answers here that Match baits you toward the end of your subscription with possible contacts, but since I cannot proof that I have to add that disclaimer. Everything you have run into with your experience I have had with mine.

By mark k.

If you were charged in one lump sum, you can't. If they are auto billing you every month, shut it off. If they took one lump sum, the best you can do is file a formal complaint with the BBB and any federal fraud protection agency you can dig up. Why would they refund you? They don't give a $#*!. To even get a response, you will have to have a local attorney draft a letter threatening to bring civil action (that will cost more than the year they billed you for). If you wanted to make a point, hire the attorney to file the civil suit. The suit would have to be for considerably more than they extorted. To win that is next to impossible because the court will require you justify the additional damages for which you are suing, They will, by law, have to respond. At which point they will issue a refund (a couple hundred dollars), the court will consider it satisfied, and the attorney will bill you a couple of grand for their effort. Point is, you're screwed! These internet companies know that the expense you would incur trying to fight them (especially across state lines) far, far exceeds what they ripped from you. It's essentially legal theft. Sorry about your luck...You got had! I've been there in other areas myself.

By tom j.

Hi Stephen, First of all, I am really sorry you are still dealing with Match.com and their unethical ways. I am still receiving emails for Match too, even though I have canceled my account many months ago. I scam every email they send me, but they send new emails form alternate email addresses. Perhaps you will have better luck then me, if call them. I am seriously thinking of contacting Better Business Bureau to see if that helps. I know that it looks bad for a business to have complaints on them on BBB, so if you mentioned that to Match when you call them (that is if you get to reach them), they might stop pestering you. So the only advice I can think of is, contact BBB, and state your concern and complaint to them. Good luck!

By Tone J.

Cancel the card you used when you joined.

By Paisley-girl n.

The first thing you need to understand (if you haven't already discovered it on match) is that none of your letters will be read unless the recipient is a FULLY PAID member. Even though you have paid to be a member you are still not able to contact the other person. There is a option available to you but it's pretty much extortion on the part of Match. You can pay an additional monthly fee where all of your mail is delivered and they can read and reply back to you. Apart from that I can't really give you any other answers other than don't renew with this site.

By josh l.

It is because there are not any real people on match.com. Most of the profiles are fakes, or they are people who may have once been on the site and now their profiles are used as bait to get you to sign up and pay, thinking there are actual matches that could be made. Also a lot of the profiles are people who have not actually signed up and paid so they could not even get back to you if they wanted (unless they too pay for the privilege of sending an email reply). Do not sign up! This is an unethical site that does a bait and switch to get money out of you and others and does not delivery on any promises. Most of the profiles are cons trying to get something from you. This site should be shut down!

By firstname l.

I feel the same way Teresa, i have been on the site for 1 year now and cancelled my subscription, but was told it won't officially cancel until May because i waited to late after my initial sign up day, so i got stuck with another year. I am a handsome guy with a lot to offer, but for some reason never really got emails as i expected, i started to think the people profiles were fake or the women i was interested in didn't know a good man if his profiled slapped them in the face, just sayN. 41, recently divorced for little over a year, highly educated, working in my profession, make close to six figures, single, don't cheat, great personality, smart, don't play, and real down to earth.....but i guess no one believed it or didn't like my handsome picks...IDK. confused!

By jacie r.
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

Match.com?