Review of Match.com

pr@match.com
2017 Customer choice award

mieshaw
10/11/18

So I wanted to use match because I was tired of guys from POF and tinder being disgusting and shallow. I'm a 5'11 black woman and that seems to scare men off. So I decided to sign up for match and I was there for 3 months and only one person talked to me and wanted to be friends. And he ghosted after a while. I really did feel like I wasted my money because it wasnt worth trying to talk to all these guys just to be ignored in the process.

louisel72
10/4/18

Signed up to match around valentines day (I know, so stereotypical right? Those damn ads though!) and been using it with varying degrees of success. In recent weeks ive become a member on wejustfit.com and been using the two as a way to improve my chances of getting more regular dates (im not saying I was spending too much time on my couch eating Ben and Jerry's but lets just say I'm not looking forward to my next trip to the dentist!) and it's really helped. Both have different people and use different functions or whatever they're called, gives a bit of variety and definitely helps improve your chances of finding 'the one' (simple case of meeting more people so increasing chances of finding Mr. Right, if he exists). Anyway, long story short, match is good, maybe not as good as they promise but if you're using it with another site to fill in the blanks it can work wonders. Right, someone has a date to prepare for...wish me luck!

thomasp275
9/23/18

If you value your money stay away from this site what is funny is for all the positive reviews there are almost just as many of them with negative reviews as well, this site is a joke at best.
Safety and security is non existent. If you are not familiar with the way modern websites work now a days basically a website is broken down into sub sections typically called modules. Then those modules are assigned to a something with an id signature.
This is where the flaw comes into play if you can find a way to jumble up the id of your module, or someone elses, then you can gain access to their profile and access all of their messages, then edit anything on their profile, and just pray that your credit card information is secure.
When i found this flaw i messaged match about it because i was one of the people effected by this.
What does match do ?
Did they thank me for finding this and notifying them? no, instead they lock me out of my account which someone else had already changed my profile and was using it to message people in california when i live in oklahoma. he linked his account to mine to be able to message people since i was a paid member and he was not.

Instead of Match doing anything about it they just suggested that i reset my password, which would be fine if that module actually linked to my profile instead he now has all of my credit card information, he has the abilty to pose as me to other members and match does not do anything about this.
I have sense canceled my credit card and posted a fraud alert on it, but Match is not doing anything about this, and if you use this website you can become a victim like i did, i even submited physical evidence of how this is happening and match still wants to allow the loop hole to persist.

So trust me STAY AWAY from this company.
You can email their support which is really hard to find, but when it comes to companies that make it hard to contact support you should be very very cautious of companies like this.

Tip for consumers: Dont... OR atleast use some sort of prepaid credit card that you preload only the amount you are willing to lose to this site.

johns3216
9/18/18

The appealing profiles are usually fakes or no longer in use and the less appealing profiles are abundant (some are hideous). Your findings might vary. Match is a waste of time and money in my view.

alexanderb123
8/30/18

I thought Match.com was trustworthy. I was wrong.

Never mind the awful site interface that is far inferior to free-to-use competitors like OKCupid. Never mind the massive number of bot profiles, the search algorithm that's only slightly better than random. Never mind the shocking $30-a-month price tag.

They are legitimate scam artists. They automatically renewed my subscription (after I went out of my way to turn that function off) and charged me for four months (!!!). Now I'm out $120 for a crap service that I never used.

Please, don't use Match.com. Almost any other dating site would be a better use of your time and money. They are jackals who prey on saps like me- don't be their next victim.

caitlyns13
8/29/18

I disliked this site at first because I thought it was full of tools and rude guys who just want in your pants instead of a relationship/future. However, I can't say I hate this site because I met the love of my life on it. 4 years later, looking back on the experience, I can't complain. Even in life, you always have to go through people to find the best ones. The only difference is you have to do that online. I think it is worth it, but try subscribing when there are deals!

liyo
8/25/18

Using match was a no brainer. The people were grateful to see me and they worshiped me. I like the service and would recommend it any time you need a date

danielb106
8/14/18

The only thing one can count on with this site is getting a list with pics of single people that fit your age requirements. If you are a man, it also seems likely that you will contacted by a very young East European woman attempting a scam. Fortunately they are not very clever. So just be realistic. Using the site is difficult as there are few directions. Also, at times they will ignore all of your preferences including your decision to remove a match from your list of possibilities. In the past, when I used Eharmony I had none of the problems I've experienced here.

lindaj247
8/13/18

In less than 2 months on the site I received 16 false profiles that I had to report. Users fraudently taking a profile that was not their own to lure you in. Most profiles were widowers looking for widows. Said they had been widowed for 5 or 7 years, their wife died of cancer or her and their son had been killed in a car accident in Germany. Descriptions of themselves changed regularly from what they posted and what they said in their messsges. I am so sick of these scammers that I will NOT renew my subscription. It took all of the joy out of the process, only to learn that the person you thought you were getting to know was only there to take advantage of you. Match needs to protect/block/protect the accounts of its users so that they are unable to have their accounts hacked by would be thieves.

charlesr39
8/11/18

I have subscribed to match.com a few times as a paid subscriber. Being aware that Match segments their subscribers more than other sites, I performed a test by changing my zip code to different local zip codes within a 3-mile radius and the females who viewed my profile and daily matches varied by zip code, therefore just putting your profile on match does not mean your profile is automatically accessible to everyone.

Match.com is the No. 1 Dating Site (note that match is an advertiser to the sites that state that match.com is No.1), BUT Match.com is the No. 1 Scammer based on my experiences:

(1) Match.com continuously gave me Daily Matches of women who are no longer on the site, women who did not post photos, and women residing outside of my geographic area. Match takes your money and delivers what you don't want.

(2) Based on singles that I know personally that are no longer on match, the site uses their profiles as if they are still on match.

(3) Failing to show a photo is a red flag that indicates that a person is either married, a criminal, or is hiding something, therefore delivering those profiles to me through Daily Matches leaves a red flag about Match.com. From my documentation, some days included 8 out of 10 Daily Matches with no photos.

(4) Most of the women (95%) on the site that I communicated with were not exactly honest about numerous aspects of their profile. Some are obvious - age, race, body size

(5) I had Scammers view, Like, Favorite, and email me. Profiles of Scammers are fairly easy to identify, but Match.com attracted a good number of them.

From experience, you have to date/meet at least ten people on match.com before you find someone decent, not perfect, honest or your match, just decent.

As Match.com receives your money, Match.com gives you the impression that you will fall within that small percentage of couples who really connect for a long-term relationship, but I have been on match.com a few times, and like most people, I am not one of the very, very few that they advertise to reach a Long-term Relationship.

Don't be Fooled!

berta21
8/9/18

I had a pretty good month on match, a fair few chats going on and even managed a real date (ive been told i was lucky to meet someone and get a date arranged so soon but guess I'm just irresistible lolz!!!!) I also have an account with a company called wejustfit.com and love that site! i heard from someone (or maybe i read it on a review site) that its a good idea to use more than one dating site tho so i went for this one too and it's working out well so far. Of course, one month and one date isn't really enough to say its the best, but its easily 8/10 and id suggest to anyone to try it as so far no problems at all. Enjoy !

annak225
7/31/18

I was a member for 2 years. Had 2 scammers never met anyone off Match. Last week I cancelled my subscription and then last night I looked at my bank account and I was charged for 90 days. I emailed and said I canceled my subscription but apparently I cancelled only part of it (?) Even though I clicked on cancel subscription

So I contacted them regarding it. And I was told I will not get a full refund. I am getting 1 month "free". I told them I dont want another month I want a full refund because my account shouldn't have been charged in the first place. They said they can't give me a full refund

roberth892
7/26/18

Had a woman use this site i paid good money to be on to do advertising for a company to gain revenue i reported her and was banned. I used match long ago almost married from it a Midwestern woman but after a 15 hr day showed up to my place and she had a man in her car asked you are off work early. This site like all the rest are a joke go over seas for someone decent and get a prenup.

tylers152
7/25/18

I bought six months and got one message, I messaged her back and never got a response. I got another six months free with nothing happening. Waste of money.

rend3
7/22/18

So being on the dating market for some time I decided to give match.com a chance. I did the 6 month plan with "match guaranteed." I built the account and put in everything and sent out messages on a regular basis. On that note, I had one response that got only a few messages in before it went dead in the water. After a year of trying to use it, I never had a successful match on the site.
A large issue I also had on the site was I put in as a deal killer "Does not want kids" as I have no desire to have children. 8/10 of the daily matches were "wants kids." You're doing a pretty poor job on finding good matches if you're ignoring the deal killers for a person when you go "hey, here are some folks that we think would be good matches for you." It would be similar to telling your friends you do not do well at dating very religious people, then having them set you up with a person who is in church 4 nights a week and bases their daily lives on scripture. To each their own, but ignoring someone when they say "I don't want to date x types of people" is piss poor matchmaking.

So I mentioned in the subject "Unless you fit into a particular appearance." Reason I mention that is online dating how you look more often than not ranks very heavily on if someone will just glaze past your profile or take a closer look. Online people seem to often be much pickier on appearance than say at a bar or something similar. Is it a bad thing? Not really. Everyone is entitled to their own physical preferences. Someone should be with the person that makes them happy and if part of what makes them happy is based on their appearance then more power to them.

All in all, I've had better luck on the free sites than match.com. Don't waste your money. Their customer service when you bring up the issues run copy and paste generic answers.

samirp3
7/22/18

Most of this people claiming to be military personels on dating sites are scammers. You find them on every dating sites , also on instagram. I was involved in a romance scam that I lost a lot of money to the tune $500,000 . I advice you to always insist to see your alleged lover before any financial commitment. If you have lost money to this heartless con artists you can contact wealthrecovery94ATGeeMailDOTCom . They recovered about 80% of my funds traced to the con artist that scammed me. Thank me later.

markc614
7/9/18

Cant really complain tbf. Not v expensive, some really nice singles looking for dates in scotland and other benefits too (tried match nights, etc). Prob my 2nd fave dating site after wejustfit.com and ive tried them all! These just seem to work well for central scotland and ive got mates that say they both work well for down south too. Well worth stumping up a few pictures of the queen for, works out cheaper than a cinema ticket if you get the long term membership so that does me nicely!!

rickb245
7/9/18

You better be the Pope...dont say anything about your lifestyle they will cancel you post haste...Dont say Bi or couple...Be a Priest

tonym291
7/8/18

I have tried Match off & on for years and honestly have never met in person 1 single woman! I believe most members are male, many profiles are either fake, stale outdated or Match bots created to catch your cash or keep you as a paying member. For older folks like myself it's a complete waste of time/money and patience. Friends have confirmed the same basic complaints. Match also runs 8-10 other dating sites, they're all a waste of time! It's all a SCAM baby!

allenj43
7/5/18

When I tried Match a few years back I would get all kinds of messages come to find out they were all fake. All had been generated by Match itself and were done to keep people paying for the site. Match was of course sued over this. So I would just stay away from this site. I am not sure anything has changed.

daynas15
7/5/18

I have gotten nothing but scammers replying with the same story. I really do not think there are any real people on here. I have complained to match.com with no response. This site is horrible

jacobd62
7/5/18

Decided to give this a shot. Signed up for a year subscription (not cheap). For some reason....they had me listed as a 68 year old man.....I'm 28. In other words....nobody of my age is going to see me. I got some likes from elderly folks. It took over a month to get it fixed, since you can't change it on the website. Had to call customer service a few times....and figured that they would extend my subscription for that time. No dice. They pretty much told me "tough break".

In the year that I spent on the site....I maybe communicated with one person. I sent around 100 messages and never received any responses. It seems like they have a ton of fake accounts....and the real accounts are probably for people that have been inactive forever.....but Match keeps them on the site to make it seem like there's more potential people than there actually are.

And don't be fooled if you aren't on a subscription and only have a free account. They will spam you with messages saying things such as "somebody likes you" every few days. Once you pay and sign up....you realize that it's nothing more than a lie.

It's too bad. But it's way more productive to use free sites or apps like Tinder or Bumble. Don't waste your money on this scam website.

markw594
6/29/18

Pleased to report ive had a few dates on this site (and also on wejustfit.com in fairness) & that's all I can ask for, the chance to meet people online that I want to meet in person. Now I've found the sites that work for me I'm feeling positive about online dating again, like when I signed up originally. Good times :-)

joshm222
6/26/18

They got me too on the auto renewal when I was sure I had turned it off. They wouldn't refund because I also didn't receive any notice that I was on a new subscription and I had sent one person an email so the new subscription had been "used", fortunately I used PayPal to pay and I was able to successfully dispute it. Match locked my account, but oh well, it wasn't worth another ~$180, it wasn't worth the first! I'm actually glad because it spares me from the temptation of going back on there.

kayew16
6/22/18

After reading so many negative reviews, I was sure that I had been kicked off the Match dating site when my account was shut down. But, a few days later I received a message from customer service explaining that my account had been hacked and someone was using it to send out messages to other members so the staff canceled my membership. They told me to go ahead and sign in and my profile will be activated. They advised me to change my passwords for Match.com and for my private email, which I did. Then customer service gave me a one week credit for my subscription.

1,052 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I was unable to get a refund but I dispute the transaction and got my money back that way. I said it was because they were not providing the service they claim to offer. If you can dispute with your bank just tell them you didn't authorize the transaction and the company refuses to refund you. Good luck.

By Lara W.

Absolutely NOT. This is a site that has only one purpose and that is to scam you out of your money. Not only are there scammers as stated by Diane H. and Sally C. this site is completely dishonest about how it works and what you can expect from it. I'll share this one example to illustrate. When you join with a credit card, they will inform you that you now have full access to their site and features. You can now send mail to the men and start meeting them. However, there is a catch that they do NOT mention on the sign up page. The catch is that you can send all the letters you want to the men, BUT, unless the men are also fully paid members, none of them are allowed to read your mail and reply to you. What is the point of paying to use the service when the other side must also have a fully paid membership? If you have paid your membership fee then by all standards you are now entitled to not only write to the men but to expect them to reply back to you. Not on match. There is an extra fee that you must pay so that non members can receive, read and reply to your mail. This is a SCAM on every level. Please save your money and avoid this site at all costs. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Read the testimonies on this site and understand that they are all 100% correct and accurate.

By josh l.

Back in the 1980s, strip clubs were pulling all sorts of over charge and fake charge scams and forcing people tp pay. Here in Atlanta a majpr federal case against the GOLD CLUB brought all that to light and alot of changes were made in the industry..... I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE....these social sites seem to be attempting the same types of scams and are getting away with it. By U.S. fedeal standars ALL THESE SITES FALL UNDER THE RACKETEERING STATUTE. Unfortunately there is NO enforcement of these laws at this time. Your best option is to dispute the entire charge with your credit card. They may not want to do this because they are seeing so much of it. BE FIRM AND INSIST IT IS A MATTER OF CREDIT FRAUD. Also be sure to indicate that you are filling a consumer notice with the Federal Trade Commision (they have online forms for this to keep a numbers count on how many people are affected by these sorts of things. www.FTC.org). If you have been a good card holder, you shouldnt have any issues except for 1: ALL THESE SITES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR REBILLING/DRAFTING YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNT. You may want to file a COMPROMISED CREDIT CARD CLAIM AT THE TIME OF THE DISPUTE and have your card issuer SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT CARD WITH A NEW CARD NUMBER.

By kevin t.

You will have a hard time getting your money back Terri. The first time I was with them years ago, I forgot the auto renewal and tried to get my money back and they fought me tooth and nail. This time I tried both Ourtime and Match and both experiences were not good though Ourtime was a bit better. I agree with some of the answers here that Match baits you toward the end of your subscription with possible contacts, but since I cannot proof that I have to add that disclaimer. Everything you have run into with your experience I have had with mine.

By mark k.

If you were charged in one lump sum, you can't. If they are auto billing you every month, shut it off. If they took one lump sum, the best you can do is file a formal complaint with the BBB and any federal fraud protection agency you can dig up. Why would they refund you? They don't give a $#*!. To even get a response, you will have to have a local attorney draft a letter threatening to bring civil action (that will cost more than the year they billed you for). If you wanted to make a point, hire the attorney to file the civil suit. The suit would have to be for considerably more than they extorted. To win that is next to impossible because the court will require you justify the additional damages for which you are suing, They will, by law, have to respond. At which point they will issue a refund (a couple hundred dollars), the court will consider it satisfied, and the attorney will bill you a couple of grand for their effort. Point is, you're screwed! These internet companies know that the expense you would incur trying to fight them (especially across state lines) far, far exceeds what they ripped from you. It's essentially legal theft. Sorry about your luck...You got had! I've been there in other areas myself.

By tom j.

Hi Stephen, First of all, I am really sorry you are still dealing with Match.com and their unethical ways. I am still receiving emails for Match too, even though I have canceled my account many months ago. I scam every email they send me, but they send new emails form alternate email addresses. Perhaps you will have better luck then me, if call them. I am seriously thinking of contacting Better Business Bureau to see if that helps. I know that it looks bad for a business to have complaints on them on BBB, so if you mentioned that to Match when you call them (that is if you get to reach them), they might stop pestering you. So the only advice I can think of is, contact BBB, and state your concern and complaint to them. Good luck!

By Tone J.

Cancel the card you used when you joined.

By Paisley-girl n.

The first thing you need to understand (if you haven't already discovered it on match) is that none of your letters will be read unless the recipient is a FULLY PAID member. Even though you have paid to be a member you are still not able to contact the other person. There is a option available to you but it's pretty much extortion on the part of Match. You can pay an additional monthly fee where all of your mail is delivered and they can read and reply back to you. Apart from that I can't really give you any other answers other than don't renew with this site.

By josh l.

It is because there are not any real people on match.com. Most of the profiles are fakes, or they are people who may have once been on the site and now their profiles are used as bait to get you to sign up and pay, thinking there are actual matches that could be made. Also a lot of the profiles are people who have not actually signed up and paid so they could not even get back to you if they wanted (unless they too pay for the privilege of sending an email reply). Do not sign up! This is an unethical site that does a bait and switch to get money out of you and others and does not delivery on any promises. Most of the profiles are cons trying to get something from you. This site should be shut down!

By firstname l.

I feel the same way Teresa, i have been on the site for 1 year now and cancelled my subscription, but was told it won't officially cancel until May because i waited to late after my initial sign up day, so i got stuck with another year. I am a handsome guy with a lot to offer, but for some reason never really got emails as i expected, i started to think the people profiles were fake or the women i was interested in didn't know a good man if his profiled slapped them in the face, just sayN. 41, recently divorced for little over a year, highly educated, working in my profession, make close to six figures, single, don't cheat, great personality, smart, don't play, and real down to earth.....but i guess no one believed it or didn't like my handsome picks...IDK. confused!

By jacie r.
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

12 Photos for Match.com