Review of Match.com

pr@match.com
2017 Customer choice award

sapnac2
1/17/18

That about says it all.....and the rest are "currently seperated". Worst customer service ever. Worst experience ever....after 2 months and toms of fakers, scammers and hackers. All was left is "currently seperated" men who are not ready for a relationship becuase they are still tied up in the past.
I phoned customer service for a refund and was told that they cannot tdo that, I asked to be transferred to a manager/supervisor and toild that was not possible and then the customer rep rudely told me she was hanging up because she had answered my questiosn....whuch ws not the case.
I remeber being on this site 10 years age and so many of the men are still on here...so it seems they are not interested in a relationship. Women stop giving it out for FREE!!! Have some respect for yoru selves and clear boundaries.

christines164
1/16/18

The worst....just takes money. Sca bad......worst.......customer service...took my daughter's money even that she .canelled same day sign up

pissedo89
1/15/18

To begin with, Match is a SCAM!!! They block your account access 2 days B4 free trial ends, so you cannot log in to cancel b4 THEY CHARGE your credit card. Look out for a class action lawsuit over this!!

Then their entire user interface is hideous, super slow and infuriating!
Their messaging system is awful. It does not allow searching your mail, so if you are looking for a specific email with a specific content or keyword, you have to scroll down and open each one of your dozens or hundreds of emails to find it! Then, if you answer to one email and you go back to your inbox, their system takes you back to the top of your inbox, so you have to scroll down and keep clicking "next page" a dozen times to get to the last email you viewed.

Custom searches constantly crash and you have to start all over again. It takes thousands of clicks and hours of work to do what other sites do in 20 seconds. I cannot believe there are millions of idiots paying for this trash. I bet most of them have been blocked out of their accounts, like I was, and Match keeps using their profiles to build false expectations in both potential new users and advertisers.

davel137
1/12/18

I joined match in 2016 and have used it on and off since then with some success. I signed up to wejustfit.com last month and it's also very good the first time ive found a site that compares well with match. I'd recommend match for sure, it's served me well, but id recommend using both as this seems to be the way forward to increase your chances at setting up lots of real dates.

mikaylah3
1/8/18

I joined match to find a great guy. I signed up for 1 month with no renewal. During that time I met an amazing guy so i no longer needed match. Expecting my membership not to renew i see on my bank account that they charged me $42. I contacted them and they said they are not able to give me a refund. I am now paying for another month when Im not even using it. Worst site! Will not refer anyone.

abhik6
1/8/18

This is another American dating scam. The website created just beleive is stealing heard earned money of its users. They do hell lot of ads to get traffic. Once u user sign-up they just bill them illegally till the time he don't complains.

Absolute thief. Very bad user interface. Chance of getting match is next to non...

jims324
1/6/18

A really good sign up process, and a good section of people on this dating site. You don't get too many muppets on it.

michaelg413
1/4/18

I canceled my subscription but they somehow re-activated it and charged me for 3 months - they make it almost impossible to cancel, you have to click on a link and then it asks for your password - then it doesn't let you in.
I got contacted by many obviously fake profiles

laurac282
1/2/18

Somehow MATCH.COM has an auto renewal on my 80 year old father. He called twice after I told them he was being charged and I called them to cancel. They said they cannot cancel the order. Taking advantage of the Eldery!!

lisaf185
12/26/17

My review is similar to those below. I had not been using Match for months, and knew my subscription was expiring sometime in Dec.BUT I had heard from others disasters that I had to turn off auto-renew as to not get charged without my approval first. WELL, that is what I thought anyways! I STILL got charged $130+ even though I went on the site and officially cancelled the whole account THE SAME DAY! Then saw 2 days later that the charge still went through on my card. So i had to call, and they absolutely refused to refund, even though SAME DAY CANCELLATION!! They have no real regard for their customers, it is just about the bottom line. I mean, I have NEVER used a site/ product or bought something that if returned the EXACT SAME DAY could not be refunded! Completely ridiculous! Terrible customer relations. Do not use, unless you like wasting money.

erico37
12/26/17

Regardless of whether or not you turn off "autorenew," they will charge you. If you find out TWO days later and try to get a full refund, this is what happens:

Wendy F.: Hi, my name is Wendy F.. Please give me a moment to review your account and I'll be right with you.
Wendy F.: Im sorry to hear you wish to discontinue your time on our site.
Wendy F.: While I review your account, would you please tell me why you want to cancel?
professorpub@gmail.com: My personal life is in a twist right now.
Wendy F.: I do understand.
Wendy F.: Per your request, Ive turned off the automatic renewal. You will still be able to utilize the subscriber-only features until the end date of your current subscription on 03/26/2018.
professorpub@gmail.com: I wanted it to end 12/24.
professorpub@gmail.com: That's when my subscription was set to expire.
Wendy F.: I'm sorry that you weren't aware of our auto-renewal policy.
professorpub@gmail.com: I do not want to pay for, or have, an account.
Wendy F.: For convenience and to make sure your subscription benefits are never inadvertently lost, all Match subscriptions automatically renew by default when the subscription period is done. This also protects you from rate increases by locking in your rate for as long as you keep your subscription current.
Wendy F.: Here's what we can do.
Wendy F.: While we are unable to process a full refund, I can provide you with a partial refund. Since you are currently within 30 days of the auto renewal, the system would drop you down to a one month subscription.
professorpub@gmail.com: I had turned off autorenew a month ago.
Wendy F.: The refund would be in the amount of $29.01, which represents the difference in price after converting your subscription to the one month package.
Wendy F.: Please let us know if you would like to proceed with the partial refund.
professorpub@gmail.com: What was the full term amount charged? What would be the amount of the refund?
Wendy F.: It doesn't appear that the automatic renewal was ever turned off, so thats why your subscription renewed. I apologize for the confusion.
professorpub@gmail.com: How much was charged?
Wendy F.: The amount is $80.97 only.
professorpub@gmail.com: So, because I got charged two days ago for something I didn't want and thought I'd turned off, Match keeps $51.96? Do I have that correct?
Wendy F.: I understand that the amount after the refund may be different from the price you saw advertised on our site. This is because you initially purchased a package subscription, which includes three of our Premium Services at a discounted price.
professorpub@gmail.com: Please let me know if you would like to proceed with this theft of my funds. Is it worth it? This is really bad public relations. Can you refund more than the $29 you stated?
Wendy F.: Unfortunately, the system only allows us to issue a refund for $29.01. Im sorry thats out of my control.
professorpub@gmail.com: Whose control is it in? May I speak with them?
Wendy F.: I understand you wish to speak to a supervisor. I assure you my supervisor will provide the same information I provided you.
Wendy F.: We can only process a partial refund on your account. Would you like to proceed?
professorpub@gmail.com: Then refund me. And be assured I personally will never use your service again. Also be assured that I will let others single people know about this. Keeping my $50 will end up costing your company more than that in fewer future subscriptions and bad publicity.
professorpub@gmail.com: You should reconsider who you work for, Wendy.
Wendy F.: Im sorry you feel the need to do that.
Wendy F.: At this time, that is all I can do.
Wendy F.: Let me process the partial refund now.
Wendy F.: Per your request, I have issued a refund in the amount of $29.01, and it was processed immediately. It was successfully processed on my end, but may take 3-5 business days for your financial institution to receive.

Wendy F.: You will still be able to utilize the subscriber-only features until the end date of your current subscription on 01/23/2018.
Wendy F.: I'm really glad I could assist you today. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Wendy F.: Thank you for choosing Match. If there's nothing I am able to assist you with, I'll sign off now but if you have any other questions, take a look at our FAQ page.

samb232
12/23/17

These people (Match.com administrators) are sickening. I paid for a year and, after 1 month, I get a message saying my account has been terminated. I had no idea why, and asked them. They referred me to their "Terms of Use", which is voluminous and complicated. I read it anyway and didn't see anything I did to violate any of their terms. I asked them to clarify and they refused to tell me why they terminated my account.

In the meantime, I had spent hundreds of hours cultivating relationships on the site, only to have all of those conversations become inaccessible to me as I can't log on to the site.

AND, they have my money and refuse to refund it.

I would not recommend anybody using this site, as you could be wasting a LOT of time and money, should they arbitrarily decide to pull the rug out from under you for no reason.

juliush24
12/22/17

Match.com engages in discriminatory business practices, based on gender. Male (and almost exclusively only male) customers are often reported by other users or my match.com employees for "verbally harassing" other members, even when they do not communicate with other members at all. While other members' reporting may be simply a trolling or revenge practice (resulting from a lack of interest received from male members), match.com employee reporting is a practice directly supported by the company itself. One of the most active corporate-sponsored scammers works under the name "Tony E.".

Following the completely fake, unfounded accusation(s), the merchant terminates the unsuspecting users' account, without looking into the facts or giving any explanation, falsely citing the male user's supposed behavior, while providing no evidence whatsoever, of it. The merchant hides behind its reference to "privacy policy" and typically gets away with wrongfully terminating the account with zero explanation or proof of alleged activity given.

The merchant then collects the funds for partial or no service rendered, as the terminated member does not get reimbursed for the remainder of the the original, pre-paid subscription term, often at a value in excess of hundreds of dollars. The customer service center refuses to answer inquiries from the wrongfully terminated member, hangs up on the caller, states that it has no relationship with the corporate office itself, which supposedly decides over investigation or cancellations. The only step it recommends is to email the corporate office - but the corporate office refuses to respond to emails altogether.

Curiously, though, this scamming practice includes the invitation of user to open up another, brand new account, effectively paying again for the already-purchased service.(!) Very well organized scam with a well-established brand to cover it.

The above findings have been thoroughly documented, and the documentation is now being used in support of a lawsuit by the legal representation of three members, one of which is the author of the above review.

buzzo
12/19/17

match.com sent me on dates with serial-dating women that were only interested in a free meal... furthermore... they sent me on a date with a catholic school teacher that was only interested in my finances and worth... I have been on several dates from match and they are not the "miracle" dating service that they portray themselves to be.

sb245
12/12/17

Please please please never use Match.com they will ask you to sign up for a guaranteed 6mo membership and make you believe you will get an additional 6 months for free!! This is what I did - giving up $150 CAD was a hard decision in itself, but then 6 months later, there is another $150 charge!! I was horrified - that is $300 total in one year. It is days away from Christmas and now I will have to make sacrifices in purchasing gifts for family. I only met two men and I was disgusted by their demeanor. THEY WILL NOT REFUND YOUR MONEY!!! They offered to charge me $60 USD for ONE MONTH in exchange for the 6 months. Who in their right mind wants to pay $60/mo to be abused???????

For all of the bullying and forum and verbal abuse I have been subjected to on that site, I am in tears to know that it has cost me both financially and mentally.

Tip for consumers: They do not refund, they sign you up for auto renew with no reminder. Misleading membership options

lynnf44
12/11/17

Match offers a lot of people to contact while they plunder your bank account by automatically renewing your subscriptions. I got married but it wasn't because of Match. On a fluke I went to a Caribbean Psychics fair where a woman named Marlene gave me specific and detailed info that led to my now 9 year marriage that gets better every year. Watch your wallet with match.

cy2299
12/11/17

I signed up after watching the latest advert during a break in Grand Designs on channel 4. Was funny because I was thinking about trying online dating (finally split with my fiance a few weeks ago but it was a slow obvious death to that relationship) and figured I needed a new way to meet people at my own pace. I'd heard lots of great things from the girls at work about WeJustFit.com but when I saw the match ad I decided to plump for that instead hopefully I dont regret it haha! It's easy to use (been using my tablet mostly) and ive had a lot of messages (always good for a bruised ego) so definitely a case of so far, so good. Will see where it goes. Suzie x

estellam1
12/11/17

I recently signed up for match.com as user name MYSTAGIC, and got a few people that contacted me, but I couldn't view or click on any of this stuff or even know who was viewing me, until I pay for service, so I paid for service to see who was messaging me, so I wrote some responses to a few people and started talking to someone and we were really hitting it off, but I had to sleep it was 3 am, so I logged out and the next day my account was terminated and no indication to why, and I know I didn't write anything offensive or bad, I uploaded a single photo, and barely used the site, I didn't even have service for more then 12 hours so I wasn't even able to setup anything or proceed with talking to the person I was talking with and now that I am no longer on the site I have no way to contact them. Using match.com was one of the most awful experiences I have ever had with any online site. They give no warning or even explain why your service was terminated, when you try to talk to them they simply refuse to give any real information, and after doing so research into this company they have had serious issues dating as far back as 2011.

I paid for service on: 10 December 2017 at 00:11 am
account was terminated at : 10 December 2017 at 06:14 am

I only used the site for roughly 3 hours and got permanently terminated, for some unknown reason that they won't even tell me. The only response I got was some automated message of:
------------------------------------------------------------
Dear MYSTAGIC,

We received your inquiry regarding the status of your Match membership.

Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. We believe this action to be in the best interests of our member community.

We can also confirm that a full refund has been issued. Your bank can provide you more details about when it will appear on your statement, when the funds will be available to you, etc.

If you paid to attend an upcoming Match Event, please know your name has been removed from the RSVP list and any charges associated with the event have been refunded.

For reference, our Terms of Use can be accessed at the following link: http://www.match.com/registration/membagr.aspx.

Regards,

Match Corporate Care
------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I do not recommend this site for any reason whatsoever. They robbed my chance of talking to someone that I found very interesting, though it's very possible that the activity sent to my account was entirely fake and generated by match.com to be fooled into buying service. Seeing how, not even moments after signing up I receive allegedly all this winks, profile likes, and private messages, from real users, which I find it hard to believe I got all that activity within my first 10 minutes of using the site with a incomplete profile. Then after buying services I could respond to these items. But then suddenly without warning my account is terminated, and I have to get a refund, thankfully, I paid through paypal and have buyer protection. If your looking for dating sites, I wouldn't put match.com any where near my choices, and I will never recommend this site to anyone, and anyone asking about this site, I will tell them the very short experience I had with it.

Tip for consumers: Pick another dating site, match.com is awful

pemf
12/9/17

if your subscription is renewed automatically, even if you call them on the day it happened, they will not issue you a refund, not even a partial refund. This happened to me and a girl i was dating. So you are charged a full price for 6 months. The customer service reps are extremely rude, and would simply hand up the phone after stating that they do not have such a thing as a "refund". Honestly, this is the first time i experience such a horrible customer service from an online service. I have had excellent experiences at ebay, amazon, newegg, okcupid, etc. Please stay away from them.

laurences14
12/7/17

After at least two years of off-and-on subscriptions, I had had enough and thought I had cancelled automatic renewals, which they say are "for your convenience." About 3 or 4 days after my subscription should have lapsed, I realized that my subscription seemed to be still in effect, although they had not notified me of billing me for a new subscription period. I tried to contact customer service, but it was Friday after 4 p.m. PST, and their offices are only open during business hours CST, M-F! After difficulty even finding a phone number, I called them on Monday, and was told me that a refund was "blocked" because I had sent ONE message (to be sure my subscription was still in effect). They refused to refund the UNUSED PORTION of my subscription (two months and three weeks) for the same silly reason, as if computers are unable to calculate the portion remaining. It's another dating SCAM.

michaela406
12/6/17

I stopped using the website but then I found a $71 USD charge on my credit card. match.com automatically charged me a 3 month renewal fee of $71 USD two days earlier. I received no email notice from them leading up to the automatic payment. I called their number and the operator said the best he can do is refund me $20.01 and he refused to transfer me to his supervisor. In summary they charged me $51 for a service I did not use.

jodies39
12/4/17

My account got hacked! Some lady put two photos on my profile, messaged a whole lot of people, 'liked' people I wouldn't of 'liked', and then blocked a whole bunch. Not a very secure site apparently. I called Match to try to get a refund and they flat refused. Be very cautious.

francisn9
11/29/17

Over 100 emails sent out and not a single responce. Most profiles are fishing scams. Canceled my subscription and deactivated my account a MONTH ago yet they still just hit my bank for another $104 and refuse to refund my money since i did not save my confirmation number. When called they say my account is still active and visable and even though they charged me less then 24 hours ago im stuck having a paid membership for another 3 months. AVOID this site at all costs!

mariof16
11/28/17

Just when you think youve had enough you finally get a date. Thats my experience on match. I keep saying im going to quit and try one of the more fashionable new sites (wejustfit gets a lot of good reviews for example) but then I get another date and im all giddy again for a week. Still when I count up what ive spend and the number of good dates ive been on it doesnt make for great reading put it that way. To summarise: worth a try but dont limit yourself theres more to online dating than match (even if I dont take my own advice lol)!

carlose27
11/28/17

A waste of money. If you are a minority, short of stature and poor, you will be more poor when you pay for a membership. No real women ever answered my messages.

1,052 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I was unable to get a refund but I dispute the transaction and got my money back that way. I said it was because they were not providing the service they claim to offer. If you can dispute with your bank just tell them you didn't authorize the transaction and the company refuses to refund you. Good luck.

By Lara W.

Absolutely NOT. This is a site that has only one purpose and that is to scam you out of your money. Not only are there scammers as stated by Diane H. and Sally C. this site is completely dishonest about how it works and what you can expect from it. I'll share this one example to illustrate. When you join with a credit card, they will inform you that you now have full access to their site and features. You can now send mail to the men and start meeting them. However, there is a catch that they do NOT mention on the sign up page. The catch is that you can send all the letters you want to the men, BUT, unless the men are also fully paid members, none of them are allowed to read your mail and reply to you. What is the point of paying to use the service when the other side must also have a fully paid membership? If you have paid your membership fee then by all standards you are now entitled to not only write to the men but to expect them to reply back to you. Not on match. There is an extra fee that you must pay so that non members can receive, read and reply to your mail. This is a SCAM on every level. Please save your money and avoid this site at all costs. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Read the testimonies on this site and understand that they are all 100% correct and accurate.

By josh l.

Back in the 1980s, strip clubs were pulling all sorts of over charge and fake charge scams and forcing people tp pay. Here in Atlanta a majpr federal case against the GOLD CLUB brought all that to light and alot of changes were made in the industry..... I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE....these social sites seem to be attempting the same types of scams and are getting away with it. By U.S. fedeal standars ALL THESE SITES FALL UNDER THE RACKETEERING STATUTE. Unfortunately there is NO enforcement of these laws at this time. Your best option is to dispute the entire charge with your credit card. They may not want to do this because they are seeing so much of it. BE FIRM AND INSIST IT IS A MATTER OF CREDIT FRAUD. Also be sure to indicate that you are filling a consumer notice with the Federal Trade Commision (they have online forms for this to keep a numbers count on how many people are affected by these sorts of things. www.FTC.org). If you have been a good card holder, you shouldnt have any issues except for 1: ALL THESE SITES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR REBILLING/DRAFTING YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNT. You may want to file a COMPROMISED CREDIT CARD CLAIM AT THE TIME OF THE DISPUTE and have your card issuer SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT CARD WITH A NEW CARD NUMBER.

By kevin t.

You will have a hard time getting your money back Terri. The first time I was with them years ago, I forgot the auto renewal and tried to get my money back and they fought me tooth and nail. This time I tried both Ourtime and Match and both experiences were not good though Ourtime was a bit better. I agree with some of the answers here that Match baits you toward the end of your subscription with possible contacts, but since I cannot proof that I have to add that disclaimer. Everything you have run into with your experience I have had with mine.

By mark k.

If you were charged in one lump sum, you can't. If they are auto billing you every month, shut it off. If they took one lump sum, the best you can do is file a formal complaint with the BBB and any federal fraud protection agency you can dig up. Why would they refund you? They don't give a $#*!. To even get a response, you will have to have a local attorney draft a letter threatening to bring civil action (that will cost more than the year they billed you for). If you wanted to make a point, hire the attorney to file the civil suit. The suit would have to be for considerably more than they extorted. To win that is next to impossible because the court will require you justify the additional damages for which you are suing, They will, by law, have to respond. At which point they will issue a refund (a couple hundred dollars), the court will consider it satisfied, and the attorney will bill you a couple of grand for their effort. Point is, you're screwed! These internet companies know that the expense you would incur trying to fight them (especially across state lines) far, far exceeds what they ripped from you. It's essentially legal theft. Sorry about your luck...You got had! I've been there in other areas myself.

By tom j.

Hi Stephen, First of all, I am really sorry you are still dealing with Match.com and their unethical ways. I am still receiving emails for Match too, even though I have canceled my account many months ago. I scam every email they send me, but they send new emails form alternate email addresses. Perhaps you will have better luck then me, if call them. I am seriously thinking of contacting Better Business Bureau to see if that helps. I know that it looks bad for a business to have complaints on them on BBB, so if you mentioned that to Match when you call them (that is if you get to reach them), they might stop pestering you. So the only advice I can think of is, contact BBB, and state your concern and complaint to them. Good luck!

By Tone J.

Cancel the card you used when you joined.

By Paisley-girl n.

The first thing you need to understand (if you haven't already discovered it on match) is that none of your letters will be read unless the recipient is a FULLY PAID member. Even though you have paid to be a member you are still not able to contact the other person. There is a option available to you but it's pretty much extortion on the part of Match. You can pay an additional monthly fee where all of your mail is delivered and they can read and reply back to you. Apart from that I can't really give you any other answers other than don't renew with this site.

By josh l.

I feel the same way Teresa, i have been on the site for 1 year now and cancelled my subscription, but was told it won't officially cancel until May because i waited to late after my initial sign up day, so i got stuck with another year. I am a handsome guy with a lot to offer, but for some reason never really got emails as i expected, i started to think the people profiles were fake or the women i was interested in didn't know a good man if his profiled slapped them in the face, just sayN. 41, recently divorced for little over a year, highly educated, working in my profession, make close to six figures, single, don't cheat, great personality, smart, don't play, and real down to earth.....but i guess no one believed it or didn't like my handsome picks...IDK. confused!

By jacie r.

It is because there are not any real people on match.com. Most of the profiles are fakes, or they are people who may have once been on the site and now their profiles are used as bait to get you to sign up and pay, thinking there are actual matches that could be made. Also a lot of the profiles are people who have not actually signed up and paid so they could not even get back to you if they wanted (unless they too pay for the privilege of sending an email reply). Do not sign up! This is an unethical site that does a bait and switch to get money out of you and others and does not delivery on any promises. Most of the profiles are cons trying to get something from you. This site should be shut down!

By firstname l.
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

12 Photos for Match.com