Review of Match.com

pr@match.com
2017 Customer choice award

sb245
12/12/17

Please please please never use Match.com they will ask you to sign up for a guaranteed 6mo membership and make you believe you will get an additional 6 months for free!! This is what I did - giving up $150 CAD was a hard decision in itself, but then 6 months later, there is another $150 charge!! I was horrified - that is $300 total in one year. It is days away from Christmas and now I will have to make sacrifices in purchasing gifts for family. I only met two men and I was disgusted by their demeanor. THEY WILL NOT REFUND YOUR MONEY!!! They offered to charge me $60 USD for ONE MONTH in exchange for the 6 months. Who in their right mind wants to pay $60/mo to be abused???????

For all of the bullying and forum and verbal abuse I have been subjected to on that site, I am in tears to know that it has cost me both financially and mentally.

Tip for consumers: They do not refund, they sign you up for auto renew with no reminder. Misleading membership options

lynnf44
12/11/17

Match offers a lot of people to contact while they plunder your bank account by automatically renewing your subscriptions. I got married but it wasn't because of Match. On a fluke I went to a Caribbean Psychics fair where a woman named Marlene gave me specific and detailed info that led to my now 9 year marriage that gets better every year. Watch your wallet with match.

cy2299
12/11/17

I signed up after watching the latest advert during a break in Grand Designs on channel 4. Was funny because I was thinking about trying online dating (finally split with my fiance a few weeks ago but it was a slow obvious death to that relationship) and figured I needed a new way to meet people at my own pace. I'd heard lots of great things from the girls at work about WeJustFit.com but when I saw the match ad I decided to plump for that instead hopefully I dont regret it haha! It's easy to use (been using my tablet mostly) and ive had a lot of messages (always good for a bruised ego) so definitely a case of so far, so good. Will see where it goes. Suzie x

estellam1
12/11/17

I recently signed up for match.com as user name MYSTAGIC, and got a few people that contacted me, but I couldn't view or click on any of this stuff or even know who was viewing me, until I pay for service, so I paid for service to see who was messaging me, so I wrote some responses to a few people and started talking to someone and we were really hitting it off, but I had to sleep it was 3 am, so I logged out and the next day my account was terminated and no indication to why, and I know I didn't write anything offensive or bad, I uploaded a single photo, and barely used the site, I didn't even have service for more then 12 hours so I wasn't even able to setup anything or proceed with talking to the person I was talking with and now that I am no longer on the site I have no way to contact them. Using match.com was one of the most awful experiences I have ever had with any online site. They give no warning or even explain why your service was terminated, when you try to talk to them they simply refuse to give any real information, and after doing so research into this company they have had serious issues dating as far back as 2011.

I paid for service on: 10 December 2017 at 00:11 am
account was terminated at : 10 December 2017 at 06:14 am

I only used the site for roughly 3 hours and got permanently terminated, for some unknown reason that they won't even tell me. The only response I got was some automated message of:
------------------------------------------------------------
Dear MYSTAGIC,

We received your inquiry regarding the status of your Match membership.

Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. We believe this action to be in the best interests of our member community.

We can also confirm that a full refund has been issued. Your bank can provide you more details about when it will appear on your statement, when the funds will be available to you, etc.

If you paid to attend an upcoming Match Event, please know your name has been removed from the RSVP list and any charges associated with the event have been refunded.

For reference, our Terms of Use can be accessed at the following link: http://www.match.com/registration/membagr.aspx.

Regards,

Match Corporate Care
------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I do not recommend this site for any reason whatsoever. They robbed my chance of talking to someone that I found very interesting, though it's very possible that the activity sent to my account was entirely fake and generated by match.com to be fooled into buying service. Seeing how, not even moments after signing up I receive allegedly all this winks, profile likes, and private messages, from real users, which I find it hard to believe I got all that activity within my first 10 minutes of using the site with a incomplete profile. Then after buying services I could respond to these items. But then suddenly without warning my account is terminated, and I have to get a refund, thankfully, I paid through paypal and have buyer protection. If your looking for dating sites, I wouldn't put match.com any where near my choices, and I will never recommend this site to anyone, and anyone asking about this site, I will tell them the very short experience I had with it.

Tip for consumers: Pick another dating site, match.com is awful

pemf
12/9/17

if your subscription is renewed automatically, even if you call them on the day it happened, they will not issue you a refund, not even a partial refund. This happened to me and a girl i was dating. So you are charged a full price for 6 months. The customer service reps are extremely rude, and would simply hand up the phone after stating that they do not have such a thing as a "refund". Honestly, this is the first time i experience such a horrible customer service from an online service. I have had excellent experiences at ebay, amazon, newegg, okcupid, etc. Please stay away from them.

laurences14
12/7/17

After at least two years of off-and-on subscriptions, I had had enough and thought I had cancelled automatic renewals, which they say are "for your convenience." About 3 or 4 days after my subscription should have lapsed, I realized that my subscription seemed to be still in effect, although they had not notified me of billing me for a new subscription period. I tried to contact customer service, but it was Friday after 4 p.m. PST, and their offices are only open during business hours CST, M-F! After difficulty even finding a phone number, I called them on Monday, and was told me that a refund was "blocked" because I had sent ONE message (to be sure my subscription was still in effect). They refused to refund the UNUSED PORTION of my subscription (two months and three weeks) for the same silly reason, as if computers are unable to calculate the portion remaining. It's another dating SCAM.

michaela406
12/6/17

I stopped using the website but then I found a $71 USD charge on my credit card. match.com automatically charged me a 3 month renewal fee of $71 USD two days earlier. I received no email notice from them leading up to the automatic payment. I called their number and the operator said the best he can do is refund me $20.01 and he refused to transfer me to his supervisor. In summary they charged me $51 for a service I did not use.

jodies39
12/4/17

My account got hacked! Some lady put two photos on my profile, messaged a whole lot of people, 'liked' people I wouldn't of 'liked', and then blocked a whole bunch. Not a very secure site apparently. I called Match to try to get a refund and they flat refused. Be very cautious.

francisn9
11/29/17

Over 100 emails sent out and not a single responce. Most profiles are fishing scams. Canceled my subscription and deactivated my account a MONTH ago yet they still just hit my bank for another $104 and refuse to refund my money since i did not save my confirmation number. When called they say my account is still active and visable and even though they charged me less then 24 hours ago im stuck having a paid membership for another 3 months. AVOID this site at all costs!

mariof16
11/28/17

Just when you think youve had enough you finally get a date. Thats my experience on match. I keep saying im going to quit and try one of the more fashionable new sites (wejustfit gets a lot of good reviews for example) but then I get another date and im all giddy again for a week. Still when I count up what ive spend and the number of good dates ive been on it doesnt make for great reading put it that way. To summarise: worth a try but dont limit yourself theres more to online dating than match (even if I dont take my own advice lol)!

carlose27
11/28/17

A waste of money. If you are a minority, short of stature and poor, you will be more poor when you pay for a membership. No real women ever answered my messages.

lorik82
11/27/17

All these dating sites show you all these men that are supposed to be in your area. When you join and they get your money there is no good looking men or women in your area they are hundreds of miles away. So many people are dissatisfied with these dating sites as they are truly looking for true love and come up empty handed after paying all that money out. But lets face we all rely on these sites as where else is there to go to meet men and women that you are looking for to spend the rest of your life with surly not a bar. So match is not the only one they are all guilty of it zoosk, plenty of fish, our time, Udate, MeetMindful, senior dating and dating 50 and over. And many more I am sure. This is wrong to get peoples hopes up and take their money when all they want to do is find love. They should all have to give you a 7 day trail to look at the site for free to see if what they are saying is true. And if it is then charge the person but to take money and all the people they show you are hundreds of miles away your not going to find love that way lets be realistic .

julesb38
11/24/17

Everyone is complaining about you for your systems. I signed up for Match.com with their 6 month guarantee. After 6 months they kept charging my credit card. and you didn't send an email to inform that you get money from my account.

peterp172
11/15/17

I used to use this site down south and it was much better. I dont know if its not as effective for me for setting up dates because its generally worse overall or because I moved to Glasgow. I've started using wejustfit after I read an article about a couple that met on that site and its a case of so far, so good. Even if it doesn't end up my long term choice, it proves that theres no point in being loyal to match forever and thinking that nothing is better just because they spend lots on advertising. It always pays to stay on the ball. You wouldnt keep paying for your broadband service if it wasn't working for weeks at a time now would you?

tatyanas8
11/14/17

The matct.com customer support is terrible. After two emails, they sent the letter that they are not going respond to the request anymore. The problem was not solved. Also, the website has a huge amount of bugs, can be hacked easily. Very disappointed with match.com service.

sandhyas2
11/11/17

My husband is Danceguitar, Texas irwing. 41
Do not trust this man. I married him in November 1st 2013
All docs available
I am his third wife

michaeld346
11/10/17

I signed up for Match.com with their 6 month guarantee. After 6 months they kept charging my credit card. After calling them multiple times, they told me that I should have gone under my account settings & adjusted their default settings within a certain timeframe even though my status stated Guarantee. JUST CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO REMOVE THE CHARGES, THEN TRY THE BUMBLE DATING SITE BECAUSE IT IS JUST AS GOOD IN MY OPINION, & IT IS FREE.

lisar272
11/9/17

Loved Match until they outsourced customer service to India! It's the biggest mistake too many US companies are making.

kathleenn23
11/9/17

I'm concerned MATCH has the ability to hack more money from my account! What can I do for recourse? BTW they are unresponsive in replying!

nikkie30
11/9/17

I was looking for a dating site that wasn't surrounded with "hooking up", or the repetitive annoying dating scene, but something meaningful and classy more upscale. Being a single mother of 2 I decided to give this a try, it was a free offer why not. But with the free offer if I did not cancel within 7 days I understood my card would be billed and rebilled for continuation of services. After I entered my card I was redirected to another page through match.com and it asked if I was sure, I was still second guessing but the page refreshed and I was a member,I didn't mind it was a free trial as of 07/29/17. I read and understood that my card was NOT TO BE CHARGED UNTIL AFTER 7 DAYS OF A FREE TRIAL. This was not the case the very next day 7/30/17 the charge went thru. I noticed this on 7/31/17 and emailed to contact the company stating there must be an issue I was billed. Well when someone finally got back to me I responded promptly that I would like to cancel and get my money back.
This was an on going email reply with the company until someone was like give us a call. I work 2 jobs and email was my only chance of contact, but I called on my only day off and the person was like you used this service we cannot refund you. I was like well I only used the service within the trial period, so you are telling me that you offer a trial period but if I say yes and use the service I am automatically billed? He stated yes. So I was instructed to contact my bank to see what they could do about these fraudulent charges and they opened a case. I did. But then I was told I needed to deactivate the account which I asked for not once but twice via email with the company. Well now 3 months later I am being told that I cannot find out anything from match.com until December 24th 2017!!! 5 MONTHS AFTER I ASKED FOR THIS NIGHTMARE TO BE OVER! I am furious that this company's customer service is unhelpful. There is no supervisors to talk to and I don't think my concerns reached the proper authority to handle the situation and if it did I feel sorry for the numerous other singles that have been taken advantage and mislead the way I have. Math.com is not what it says to be, I would highly recommend Tinder or Plenty of Fish over this scam of a business. The only thing I requested was to cancel services and receive my hard earned money ($59.70) back to use towards a legitimate company who doesn't prey on singles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKI93jsaPhU

johnm1213
11/8/17

Tried many dating sites and apps and it takes a lot to beat match, mingle2day and cupid. Those sites ain't perfect but they work. Wasted too much time on other sites and apps and trust me, it ain't worth it. Two of my last relationships were found on online dating sites, and met my last girlfriend on match. Don't get why everone else not happy with it.

alanc110
11/7/17

If you use this, you feel it's great to screw the blind

My friend is blind & can't walk. He was not able to make it talk

They refused to refund his money.

Tip for consumers: If you use this, you think it's great to screw the blind

bereczs
11/5/17

Not only does this app have the highest number of creeps Ive ever seen, but this site gets you for your money.
Every single filter I tried to use never worked. Im still getting men with the opposite of what I want. The number of real profiles would be easier to count than the fake ones.
I was ever harassed multiple times about my political stances from members who recognized me on Facebook.
I paid for a 6 month subscription, and after three months, I was blocked. Mind you, I hadnt been on in weeks. When I reached out to customer care, to see what the problem was, I got told that I had violated terms. Which is hard to do when youre not on the site for weeks. $67 down the drain.
Then when I reached out to customer care, all I got as a response was a link to the terms and violations and, this is the final email on this subject.
Not to mention the extreme amount of glitches you report and they never get fixed. My account was hacked, and no one will help me or refund my money. Customer care cant even get into your account once theyve blocked it. So how do you expect to investigate a problem when you delete everything?
Crap-tastic dating site. Dont do it.

virginiam53
11/3/17

I signed up for match for 3 months. I cancelled it online. At least I thought I did. Then just today I looked at my bank acct and there was a charge for $139. I called match right away. They told me I never cancelled it and they could only refund half of my money.. At this point I was very upset. I know they can refund for the full amount but they just choose not to. Match is a freakin scam..

laurag163
10/30/17

They automatically make your account auto-renewal and won't refund you for a continued membership you don't want.

1,052 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Absolutely NOT. This is a site that has only one purpose and that is to scam you out of your money. Not only are there scammers as stated by Diane H. and Sally C. this site is completely dishonest about how it works and what you can expect from it. I'll share this one example to illustrate. When you join with a credit card, they will inform you that you now have full access to their site and features. You can now send mail to the men and start meeting them. However, there is a catch that they do NOT mention on the sign up page. The catch is that you can send all the letters you want to the men, BUT, unless the men are also fully paid members, none of them are allowed to read your mail and reply to you. What is the point of paying to use the service when the other side must also have a fully paid membership? If you have paid your membership fee then by all standards you are now entitled to not only write to the men but to expect them to reply back to you. Not on match. There is an extra fee that you must pay so that non members can receive, read and reply to your mail. This is a SCAM on every level. Please save your money and avoid this site at all costs. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Read the testimonies on this site and understand that they are all 100% correct and accurate.

By josh l.

Back in the 1980s, strip clubs were pulling all sorts of over charge and fake charge scams and forcing people tp pay. Here in Atlanta a majpr federal case against the GOLD CLUB brought all that to light and alot of changes were made in the industry..... I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE....these social sites seem to be attempting the same types of scams and are getting away with it. By U.S. fedeal standars ALL THESE SITES FALL UNDER THE RACKETEERING STATUTE. Unfortunately there is NO enforcement of these laws at this time. Your best option is to dispute the entire charge with your credit card. They may not want to do this because they are seeing so much of it. BE FIRM AND INSIST IT IS A MATTER OF CREDIT FRAUD. Also be sure to indicate that you are filling a consumer notice with the Federal Trade Commision (they have online forms for this to keep a numbers count on how many people are affected by these sorts of things. www.FTC.org). If you have been a good card holder, you shouldnt have any issues except for 1: ALL THESE SITES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR REBILLING/DRAFTING YOUR CREDIT ACCOUNT. You may want to file a COMPROMISED CREDIT CARD CLAIM AT THE TIME OF THE DISPUTE and have your card issuer SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT CARD WITH A NEW CARD NUMBER.

By kevin t.

You will have a hard time getting your money back Terri. The first time I was with them years ago, I forgot the auto renewal and tried to get my money back and they fought me tooth and nail. This time I tried both Ourtime and Match and both experiences were not good though Ourtime was a bit better. I agree with some of the answers here that Match baits you toward the end of your subscription with possible contacts, but since I cannot proof that I have to add that disclaimer. Everything you have run into with your experience I have had with mine.

By mark k.

If you were charged in one lump sum, you can't. If they are auto billing you every month, shut it off. If they took one lump sum, the best you can do is file a formal complaint with the BBB and any federal fraud protection agency you can dig up. Why would they refund you? They don't give a $#*!. To even get a response, you will have to have a local attorney draft a letter threatening to bring civil action (that will cost more than the year they billed you for). If you wanted to make a point, hire the attorney to file the civil suit. The suit would have to be for considerably more than they extorted. To win that is next to impossible because the court will require you justify the additional damages for which you are suing, They will, by law, have to respond. At which point they will issue a refund (a couple hundred dollars), the court will consider it satisfied, and the attorney will bill you a couple of grand for their effort. Point is, you're screwed! These internet companies know that the expense you would incur trying to fight them (especially across state lines) far, far exceeds what they ripped from you. It's essentially legal theft. Sorry about your luck...You got had! I've been there in other areas myself.

By tom j.

Hi Stephen, First of all, I am really sorry you are still dealing with Match.com and their unethical ways. I am still receiving emails for Match too, even though I have canceled my account many months ago. I scam every email they send me, but they send new emails form alternate email addresses. Perhaps you will have better luck then me, if call them. I am seriously thinking of contacting Better Business Bureau to see if that helps. I know that it looks bad for a business to have complaints on them on BBB, so if you mentioned that to Match when you call them (that is if you get to reach them), they might stop pestering you. So the only advice I can think of is, contact BBB, and state your concern and complaint to them. Good luck!

By Tone J.

Cancel the card you used when you joined.

By Paisley-girl n.

The first thing you need to understand (if you haven't already discovered it on match) is that none of your letters will be read unless the recipient is a FULLY PAID member. Even though you have paid to be a member you are still not able to contact the other person. There is a option available to you but it's pretty much extortion on the part of Match. You can pay an additional monthly fee where all of your mail is delivered and they can read and reply back to you. Apart from that I can't really give you any other answers other than don't renew with this site.

By josh l.

I feel the same way Teresa, i have been on the site for 1 year now and cancelled my subscription, but was told it won't officially cancel until May because i waited to late after my initial sign up day, so i got stuck with another year. I am a handsome guy with a lot to offer, but for some reason never really got emails as i expected, i started to think the people profiles were fake or the women i was interested in didn't know a good man if his profiled slapped them in the face, just sayN. 41, recently divorced for little over a year, highly educated, working in my profession, make close to six figures, single, don't cheat, great personality, smart, don't play, and real down to earth.....but i guess no one believed it or didn't like my handsome picks...IDK. confused!

By jacie r.

It is because there are not any real people on match.com. Most of the profiles are fakes, or they are people who may have once been on the site and now their profiles are used as bait to get you to sign up and pay, thinking there are actual matches that could be made. Also a lot of the profiles are people who have not actually signed up and paid so they could not even get back to you if they wanted (unless they too pay for the privilege of sending an email reply). Do not sign up! This is an unethical site that does a bait and switch to get money out of you and others and does not delivery on any promises. Most of the profiles are cons trying to get something from you. This site should be shut down!

By firstname l.
Questions? Get answers from the Match.com staff and other customers.

12 Photos for Match.com