US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

edj22
8/4/16

Two experiences with Living Social: with the first, the phone number for the participating vendor was simply not in service. After several calls, I gave up and received a refund from Living Social. The second was more recent: I purchased a voucher in January that is valid for one year. I planned on using it over the summer. After many calls to the participating vendor in June and July, leaving messages with an answering service and not receiving any reply, I gave up and am now trying to get a refund from Living Social.

Issue #1: full refunds are only given within seven days of a purchase
Issue #2: current refunds are in the Living Social currency ... meaning I have to try again with another participating vendor
Issue #3: While I paid $98 in January, I am only entitled to $84 of Living Social currency.

Don't try to call Living Social unless you have a long time to wait on hold. I called twice and was on hold for half an hour both times. When I asked for their address, the first representative hung up on me. The second rep was nicer, but would not help with a refund.

I've written an email to their CEO ... waiting for a reply.

NOT WORTH THE EFFORT TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS.

eb535
8/4/16

I normally purchase from Groupon but decided to give Living Social a try. I bought a voucher for a pressure washing service. For weeks I tried contacting the merchant to schedule an appointment, but could not get in touch with anyone. I left several messages but was never contacted. I was unable to cancel online, so had to call Living Social to request a refund. I called, waiting almost an hour to speak with a representative. The rep I spoke with, named Kieara, was completely unapologetic, unprofessional, and sounded as if she was either distracted by something or high on drugs. She essentially told me that she could not resolve my issue and left it at that. I understand that this woman must deal with a lot of unsatisfied customers, but she was so unhelpful and obviously hates her job. I will not be purchasing from Living Social again.

ashleya72
8/2/16

I have to admit, I used to love LivingSocial. In fact, I used to buy vouchers from them on a regular basis. Until today. I live near DC, and I was going to go visit one of the museums this past weekend that I had an expired LS deal for. Yes, expired. I googled the museum to see what time they opened and found out that the museum has closed for good. So, I called LS to get my money back. I spoke to a rude, non friendly lady, who informed that I could not get my money back. Apparently that would have to be between me and the merchant. How on earth am I supposed to get anything from a place that is permanently closed?! I asked to speak to her manager, and she came back on the phone only to tell me that a manager would not come speak to me because they have nothing different to tell me. I am appalled at their horrible "customer service" and will never be buying anything from them again.

katherined23
8/2/16

Great way to save money and try a new experience. Also love Groupon... wonderful ways to save!

annad78
8/2/16

I bought an item that wasn't compatible with any of my phone, tablet or laptop and have been trying to get a refund since the beginning of July. So glad I didn't pay out a huge amount. I haven't yet been able to find a phone number to try calling them, I keep receiving emails saying the money has been refunded, but to no avail.

Wish I'd read the reviews before using them....... Never again!!

mm231
8/1/16

You have to be on hold for over an hour and still do not reach a customer service rep. I sent 4 emails and after the 4th I get an email that states "oops you have replied to an email to no one looks at"!! After the 4th email and an hour on hold -- really!!!! Unacceptable customer service -- I have never had this issue with Groupon and will give them my business.

robertk171
7/30/16

We arrived at the hotel on 27 July 16 for a 2 night stay. The shabby reception area was the first warning, along with the strong smell of stale cooking oil. The Receptionist did give us a smile or she was holding back a laugh, then went on to tell us that although the advertising stated WiFi access and T.V !4in in the bedroom, they do not work because of the hilly area. (That could have been rectified had they bothered) She also said that at 2 in the morning, we might be disturbed be the fishmonger, making his delivery which he did, then going on to say a room was above the kitchen extractor, so it's best to keep our window closed. I will show you up and how to open the security door leading to the stairs. The handle was loose and had to be held up before you press the numbers, if it didn't work press another number and start again. The room measured 8ft x 10ft, no room for any shelving, a small chest for the kettle ect., no room for the usual cosmetics, nor in the bathroom. The shower cubicle was nicely decorated with black mould the whole room was drab , smelly and cramped. We decided to eat in and booked a table, another mistake, on entering the bar/resteraunt, we were almost overcome by the dreadful stong burnt cooking oil smell. It was 20 mins before I managed to order our meals, and after a further 3/4 hr walked out and down to Hey on Wye for a good dinner. At breakfast in the morning, there was no ham or cheese and when I asked for toast, only brown bread toast was offered. I asked for white bread and was told they don't serve white bread. I pointed to the next table where white toast was evident. She adopted an agressive attitude and huffed off. The table next to us had ordered a cooked meal which was so long coming, they walked out. The whole hotel was poorly decorated, shabby, unclean, unwelcoming and to be avoided. It ruined our break

colleenc38
7/29/16

How is this company still in business? No way to contact online, LOOOONG wait times on phone - and you have to listen to their commercials. AWFUL!!!!

patriciar110
7/27/16

I recently bought a voucher to a concert for $32 - $6 in Deal Bucks, $26 via my Paypal. The concert gets cancelled due to weather and I call about refund. After waiting more than an hour on hold, a representative tells me she needs to contact the merchant to confirm and puts me on hold yet again. After 10 mins, I hang up because I'm headed to a meeting. I get an email later telling me my LivingSocial account had been credited for $32 in Deal Bucks. What?! I call the next day and spend another hour on the phone. I explain to the rep that I was credited for the full amount to my LivingSocial account rather than be refunded the way I paid. I also explained that I knew someone who supposed to go to the concert who got an email, without calling,saying she was getting a full refund to her method of payment. She apologized, saying I should have gotten that email and didn't and said she needed to get a supervisor to cancel the Deal Bucks and refund my card. I then asked if I would get an email, alerting me to the fact. She said I would get one if I wanted. Why wouldn't I when the other person got one without requesting it? I later got an email saying I would receive $26 dollars to my PayPal account. But when I checked my LivingSocial Deal Bucks - $0. Why zero when I have $6 prior? Now, I need to call again and take another hour out of my life to get $6 in Deal Bucks back!!! I will dump the $6 in Deal Bucks ASAP so I can unsubscribe from all LivingSocial emails. I will tell everyone to avoid them.

Tip for consumers: Be prepared for extra long wait times to speak to a live person.

lindab260
7/26/16

I bought this item from Living Social. It was £9.99 and stated that full price was £59.99. Nowhere online have I seen it advertised at the full price. In fact, when I received it, it turned out to not be as good as advertised. If I had paid £59.99 for this I would have sent it back with a strong worded complaint. I no longer use it!!! There have also been other offers that have not come up to expectation.

Tip for consumers: Be very careful about what you think may be a bargain!

lindah200
7/25/16

Do not buy anything from them. Purchased Sams club membership says the code is invalid am still on hold after 1 and half hours. Go to groupon NO STARS

stephaniec94
7/25/16

Takes over an hour to talk to someone. Im trying to get some costco coupons delivered to my house that will expire in 2 weeks. Ive called over 4 times.....on hold for over an hour each time. you get what you pay for, its not worth the deal. Will never order again.

larrye19
7/23/16

DO NOT ORDER THIS WATCH that Living Social and OpenSky are Hyping.

tiffanyz3
7/21/16

many coupon to save money!

jessicac122
7/14/16

They do not answer the phone! They do not offer any help via email. You wait for an hour and 1 minute then you get disconnected. YOU WILL NOT GET REFUND - THEY SUCK!!

shirleyh86
7/13/16

They don't give u any information in your order how to return defective merchandise. Then there is no info on the Internet as to how to return your order. Then you are on hold forever to get a voucher to return defective merchandise. I've been on the phone on hold for over an hour. When u finally speak to a real person, they are very nice and apologize for the wait. I may never use Living Social again because of this.

joano14
7/12/16

Beware that hold times to speak to a customer service representative can be OVER AN HOUR and probably won't achieve the result you want anyways. After years of receiving excellent customer service from this company, I will no longer be doing business with them. I recently had an issue with one of the vouchers I purchased and spent over three hours on hold. The recording makes you believe the wait will be only a short while and then turns into 20 minutes, 30 minutes, then over an hour. I would imagine most people (like me) simply give up and try to call again later but later it's the same thing all over again. No good deal is ever worth the frustration with the "new" way this company is doing business.

abbym16
7/8/16

The only method to contact customer service is a phone number. After waiting an hour I was just dropped FOR THE SECOND TIME. I cannot get through. I am calling because my coupons never came that were supposed to arrive with my Costco membership. I did get through several months ago to discuss this issue and they said they would send them again, and nothing! I double checked and they have the correct address. I am horribly disappointed. I don't think I will use them again.

margaretc70
7/6/16

You call Living Social (no website address for questions or concerns) and are put on hold EVERY time! No less than 20 minutes. My belief is they do that in hopes that you will get frustrated and hang up, which is what I did earlier today. I'm just trying to get deal bucks as the time has lapsed for a refund. I was told I cannot because the vouchers show as used but were not. The company, Best Tours, cancelled that particular tour as they did not have enough participants but for whatever reason, still marked the vouchers as used. It's up to me to get in touch with Best Tours to have them relay the message to LS that the vouchers were not actually used. If I could possibly forward the cancellation email(s) sent to me from Best Tours to LS, that may solve the issue BUT there is no LS email address to do so. If I'm out the $140, I can live with that but I will not go down without a fight and without everyone knowing the less than satisfactory service I'm getting from Living Social! Thanks for listening!

Margaret C

annas164
7/6/16

I'm really disappointed. I've ordered two bracelets. I didn't get them. There is no email address to contact them to get the refund.

tinat43
7/5/16

Item was ordered in wrong color. There's no way to switch order online or email Living Social. Only option is to call. After 3 days of trying and waiting 3+ hours on the phone, I was told I would have to wait til the item ships and then return it. How does that make sense if the item hasn't shipped yet I have no idea but item will be returned and we will close our account. Never had problems like this with Groupon so they will now receive all of my business.

kikip1
7/2/16

This is like so many online shopping options, you can browse in peace and use the coupons on your phone. I had one horrible experience with a vendor and was thinking I just got hustled. I contacted Living Social and they were attentive, communicative and quick. In fact, the vendor was apparently so bad, Living Social issues me a straight refund instead of just credit to my account. That goes a long way to gaining my respect!

janices52
7/1/16

I ordered 3 pairs of earrings on 6/7/16 and received them about 10 days later. On the second wearing, one of the earrings came off the post. I have been trying to contact LS for two days to ask about a replacement. I sat on hold for nearly an hour yesterday before getting disconnected. I have looked all over their site for an email.

I'm not sure I'll ever order jewelry from them again, or anything else for that matter. The vouchers expire too quickly and now that I know what a nightmare it is to get customer service, I'm leery.

jamesc333
7/1/16

I saw a great deal in an email. I tried to purchase it over about four days but kept getting messages that payment processor was having a problem and to try later. I called customer service line on two days. Both days message said to expect a long wait (due to higher than normal activity) of 40 or 50 minutes (followed bt another one saying 5 minutes). I gave up after an hour yesterday (estimate 50 minutes), I am the other call (estimate 40 minutes (just passed 30 minutes). They have no email to send a complaint. I plan to send future offers to spam and delete. No deal is worth his much time or effort! Groupon is much easier to use.

bubbsp1
7/1/16

I buy many deals from here and have never been ripped off. The details in the descriptions are fairly accurate.

41 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the LivingSocial staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question