Review of Kayak

Tel: +1-978-451-0771
2017 Customer choice award

henryp44
11/16/17

I've used Kayak a few times to get me somewhere. Although not all airline companies appear in the search, i usually find the best deals on their website.

Kayak gets a 4/5 from me.

daniab1
9/28/17

Kayak.com sucks when it comes to doing their job. Do not book a car with them or with Dollar/Thrifty. I wish i could give a zero and not a 1 for ratings. Poor customer service on both ends. Gave me this around Kayak that Dollar owed me the refund then Dollar same thing on no Kayak owe you the refund. I would suggest dealing with the actual car rental company like Enterprise etc but don't book with a third party. From personal experiences. Second time trying Dollar car rental. Never again... You have been warned..

keithm114
7/14/17

but I like BestTravelCoupon,com and Trivago.com more. These 2 sites seem to search more and post better deals.

claasj
7/5/17

If you want to find best price for your trip, avoid kayak. Low cost airlines like Thai Smile have their own online booking which is much cheaper but not included in kayak search. Kayak suggested to book same flight via kiwi.com 50% more expensive. Never again

johng465
5/19/17

My favorite site for sure when it comes to booking flights, but why do they default to "hotel search"? Thats not even their strength. Anyways the prices listed are no accurate sometimes and sometimes the flight wasnt even available when i clicked off the page to go to the booking site. So i reccommend it but you need to be careful like i n all things.

satishs12
5/12/17

We are two families who bought tickets from kayak for the same itinerary. One family got redirected to http://Expedia.com and my family to http://Justfly.com Both families decided to cancel the tickets. Family with Expedia got refunded with $300 per person charge from airlines. Yesterday When we called Justfly to cancel, an agent named Leo said the ticket is fully refundable except the $300 per person airline charge and a $150 from Justfly. I questioned him why we need to pay extra $150 per passenger when the family booked through Expedia did not charge. Agent Leo said they cannot waive the cancellation but lower it to $125 per person. The agent said the tickets are cancelled and we will be refunded the amount except the $425 per person. We then rebooked a non refundable ticket through Alnita travels today. After all the new tickets got confirmed, Agent Leo calls and tells there is some $300-$600 fuel charges that the airline won't refund and the cancellation was unsuccessful. How come the tickets bought from kayak with same itinerary and airlines can go to different websites for booking and have different cancellation charges especially what just fly saying "fuel charges ". I called one more time and second agent France confirmed that agent Leo made a mistake and only better option I have is to agree the extra charges and cancel. After almost 3.5 hrs on phone and talking to his supervisor I was forced to let go additional $600. They cannot keep up their word and do not care about customers. This is the worst travel company. Kayak should take the ownership and remove justfly from their list of travel companies. Kayak should not allow different travel companies to have different conditions. Based on this experience I will never use online travel companies.

rs148
5/3/17

Kayak.com essentially is a deceptive advertising platform for shady booking companies to blend in with legit airlines to fleece unsuspected travelers with 'cheap fares' schemes. Booking companies like Vayama and kiwi.com can become a thorn in your travel experience. They "partnered" with Kayak.com to get customers but they provide no real customer service. These booking companies have hidden fees that make it very unwise to use them. And Kayak.com facilitates all this. Just stay away from Kayak.com to save yourself money, headache, and suffering.

jessicak81
4/28/17

I have used Kayak for years! Lately the price watch is a crock. Click and price goes up. Ok I get it sometimes it happens BUT on every flight I have searched the past 3 months?? The kicker is that those prices don't change then on their site--still show the cheaper rate for a few days. ARGH. So sad to be discontinuing our relationship with what was once the crown jewel. :-( Goodbyes are hard.

lynnw56
4/25/17

You do nothing when we had troubles like you promise, I want to sue your company, why you just do the business like that? Lie and the lady customer service is not professional, no any star for kayak

melissar100
4/25/17

I booked a rent a car through Kayak, which was a thrifty rent a car. We were given a quote of $276.79 to rent a car for 11 days. There was additional insurance that we knew about and of course taxes, but the base fees were much more. To get this car we wound up paying $652.73. IT was from the airport and after arrival did not have time to run around and secure another one. When I called Kayak I was told to read the terms and conditions, I asked which ones and I was told he was not going to read them all I needed to. This is an old fashion bait and switch I will NEVER use them again!!!

stevenb168
2/22/17

I looked around for flights,from lax to panama city panama. After getting our pass ports out and cc and spending 30mins to get all the info in place . I pushed book it and it said oh you took to much time so go back and look for the prices again. Of course they were more $$$ what a waist of time . Use someone else .

eds190
2/22/17

Giving these guys a rating of just one star is being super charitable!! We started at Kayak to purchase airfare to Sydney, Australia. By the time I paid for the tickets, I discovered that Kayak had pawned us off to Vayama which Ive never heard of before. Too late, monies had already been sent. Then the problems really began. TWO weeks BEFORE we were scheduled to leave, I called Vayama to see if we could upgrade our Qantas seats to premium economy. The agent politely asked if we were aware that our final segment home was cancelled. I said no and asked when were they planning on notifying us? I received no reply. They said they had to send this up to the ivory tower and would hear something within 48 then 72 hours. ONE week later, they provided us with a flight changes. We tried to obtain seats and after researching American and Qantas, we determined that Vayama had somehow obtained two different record locators for us, one being an impossible route. We called again to notify them of this and an agent confidently indicated we didnt know what we were talking about double locators were impossible. She said shed send this up to the ivory tower again. THREE days before we were to leave, Vayama emailed us to indicate that indeed we had two record locators for the same trip and that between them and American Airlines, they determined the best approach would be to leave well enough alone and to struggle through our seat assignments at the airport. Well never use either of these travel agents again.

carolh133
1/8/17

I booked a hotel in for our trip to Barcelona. The per night price had been discounted and Kayak said that it was the best price and to book now. I did. Two days later the same hotel for our date's had dropped the price by more than 10% !!! Thanks Kayak! You cost me £9 per night each extra on a low cost hotel. The idea is good but I'll trust my own instincts in future.

pamelal47
12/15/16

Booked our trip. Dec 6 2016..Flight we chose was perfect two tickets all business class in all segments of the flights. Booked paid when we got our confirmation not the case we were put in economy in two flight segments. Have been trying to fix ever since. No contact number for Kayak.Must deal by emails. Kayak blames the Airlines the Airlines blame Kayak.Even though I have my flight details Infront of me that we booked all business in all segments of our flight .
I think I have been scammed. I contacted them immediately letting them know there mistake. (Kayak and Airlines )
And I have been in a nightmare ever since..
Why can't I get what I booked .? I'm the consumer and Kayak and the Airlines both expect me to roll over and go oh well what ever. (I ask the public ..When have we become a door matt to allow companies to take advantage us.?.) And how many people are they doing this to.?
Kayak was the web site. Just fix our flights

tonyf47
12/3/16

I recently booked a trip to London through kayak.com. The fares were in line with other sites and about $100 cheaper than American airlines. When I purchased the ticket through KAYAK, it sent me and email from another service, airfares.com, that said in addition to the ticket not being fully refundable, there was a $350 change fee and a $450 cancellation fee if the ticket was canceled or changed before the date of travel. Unfortunately I was unable to use the ticket so I contacted British airways to cancel. British airways told me that they could not cancel my ticket because it had been issued through an agent who they identified as International Travel Consolidators. British Airways could not provide me a working telephone number for their agent (International travel consolidators), I later remembered the airfare.com email and called their offices. This all occurred before the departure date and time. Airfare.com told me that there would be a $450 cancellation fee which would net about $110 refund, but to get that, I would need to pay them the $450 cancellation fee then wait 3 to 6 weeks to receive back the $450+$110 refund. If I can't even get a portion of my original payment back, I certainly wouldn't send them more money.
Kayaks position is that they are only a search site, not the ticket agent, so they have no responsibility or control. Based on that, I would say only use KAYAK as A price comparison, then go directly to the airline or someone like Expedia, a travel agent or someone reputable who you can contact for service.

Tip for consumers: Use for searching... NOT FOR BUYING!

adams238
11/18/16

Very convenient service to operate. Site with good usability. it is easy to find and to book. Friendly support and my experience was very good

tassb
11/3/16

I used it just this week with a good result. They keep their prices at bay, not trying to oversell like expedia. Good convenient search and options.

ronnyd9
9/22/16

kayak is one comparison site that I have had great success comparing flight info

marcelam4
Mar M.
8/29/16

I booked flights to several countries and found good prices and all went through very well,

charless145
8/25/16

Do not use kayak.com. We bought tickets through them. The tickets were canceled, but we did not receive notification. Even though they were canceled, the tickets continued to be listed by kayak.com under My Trips,so we had no way of knowing that they were cancelled. We didn't find out that we had no tickets until we checked in for the flight. These things happen, but when we called them to report that they information listed under My Trips was inaccurate, they were not only unhelpful, but extremely rude. Using kayak.com cous us an extra $1000 and the aggravation of being treated rudely. Spare yourself and do not use kayak.com

danielp115
8/13/16

Best rates not always up to date, will hound your inbox with ads.

jackiem66
8/3/16

I HAVE BEEN USING KAYAK FOR FLIGHTS FOR YEARS AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH THE WEBSITE. THIS TIME I GOT CAUGHT OUT WITH A NEW OPTION TO SAVE MONEY BY BOOKING FLIGHTS WITH ONE AIRLINE ONE WAY AND ANOTHER RETURN. THE FLIGHTS SHOWED AS BEING $99 EACH. I WENT AHEAD WITH THE FIRST FLIGHT WITH JET BLUE AND 30 SECONDS LATER WENT TO PAY FOR THE RETURN FLIGHT WITH DELTA ONLY TO DISCOVER THE RETURN FLIGHT WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE RESULTING IN HAVING NO OPTION BUT TO BOOK A FLIGHT 3 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE. VERY SAD AS I'VE USED KAYAK COUNTLESS TIMES BUT THIS TIME WILL BE THE LAST. I TRIED TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FIRST OF ALL TO DISCUSS THIS COMPLAINT BUT WAS NOT ABLE TO FIND A WAY TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE FIRST OF ALL. TOO BAD :(

bernardot5
6/28/16

I've used Kayak a few times to get me somewhere. The first time was when I was traveling to San Diego for a marketing conference. I got the flight through them while I ended up staying at the hotel on a deal I got for being at the conference. Other websites would've cost me around an extra $200 for the whole thing.

Another time I actually managed to save $800 by getting my hotel, car, and air travel through them. I compared this around getting directly from the companies I was purchasing from as well as a couple of those other sites I see on television. There has been one time when they weren't the cheapest, but given that it was a smaller airline, I can't really blame them.

donnay6
6/23/16

I searched the site for two hours before finding multiple flights that would work. When I went to book I was led to Delta website where I was told the price could not be met! What a huge waste of time. STAY AWAY!

isajob
6/21/16

My husband and I travel frequently locally and internationally, for work and for fun. Since he owns his business, he shops for the best routes and fares on Kayak. Kayak is the best place to narrow down the choices to 2 or 3 airlines by routes, by dates. Of course we check our frequent flyer airline first, but that is often not the best value fare overall or not the fastest routes.

305 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I did a direct search to the actual airline sites, and I found a flight cheaper than 100 bucks , so is it just me or does kayak only list flights up to 100 bucks and up ?

By mario m.
Questions? Get answers from the Kayak staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Kayak