US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

tonyf47
12/3/16

I recently booked a trip to London through kayak.com. The fares were in line with other sites and about $100 cheaper than American airlines. When I purchased the ticket through KAYAK, it sent me and email from another service, airfares.com, that said in addition to the ticket not being fully refundable, there was a $350 change fee and a $450 cancellation fee if the ticket was canceled or changed before the date of travel. Unfortunately I was unable to use the ticket so I contacted British airways to cancel. British airways told me that they could not cancel my ticket because it had been issued through an agent who they identified as International Travel Consolidators. British Airways could not provide me a working telephone number for their agent (International travel consolidators), I later remembered the airfare.com email and called their offices. This all occurred before the departure date and time. Airfare.com told me that there would be a $450 cancellation fee which would net about $110 refund, but to get that, I would need to pay them the $450 cancellation fee then wait 3 to 6 weeks to receive back the $450+$110 refund. If I can't even get a portion of my original payment back, I certainly wouldn't send them more money.
Kayaks position is that they are only a search site, not the ticket agent, so they have no responsibility or control. Based on that, I would say only use KAYAK as A price comparison, then go directly to the airline or someone like Expedia, a travel agent or someone reputable who you can contact for service.

Tip for consumers: Use for searching... NOT FOR BUYING!

adams238
11/18/16

Very convenient service to operate. Site with good usability. it is easy to find and to book. Friendly support and my experience was very good

tassb
11/3/16

I used it just this week with a good result. They keep their prices at bay, not trying to oversell like expedia. Good convenient search and options.

ronnyd9
9/22/16

kayak is one comparison site that I have had great success comparing flight info

marcelam4
Mar M.
8/29/16

I booked flights to several countries and found good prices and all went through very well,

charless145
8/25/16

Do not use kayak.com. We bought tickets through them. The tickets were canceled, but we did not receive notification. Even though they were canceled, the tickets continued to be listed by kayak.com under My Trips,so we had no way of knowing that they were cancelled. We didn't find out that we had no tickets until we checked in for the flight. These things happen, but when we called them to report that they information listed under My Trips was inaccurate, they were not only unhelpful, but extremely rude. Using kayak.com cous us an extra $1000 and the aggravation of being treated rudely. Spare yourself and do not use kayak.com

danielp115
8/13/16

Best rates not always up to date, will hound your inbox with ads.

jackiem66
8/3/16

I HAVE BEEN USING KAYAK FOR FLIGHTS FOR YEARS AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH THE WEBSITE. THIS TIME I GOT CAUGHT OUT WITH A NEW OPTION TO SAVE MONEY BY BOOKING FLIGHTS WITH ONE AIRLINE ONE WAY AND ANOTHER RETURN. THE FLIGHTS SHOWED AS BEING $99 EACH. I WENT AHEAD WITH THE FIRST FLIGHT WITH JET BLUE AND 30 SECONDS LATER WENT TO PAY FOR THE RETURN FLIGHT WITH DELTA ONLY TO DISCOVER THE RETURN FLIGHT WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE RESULTING IN HAVING NO OPTION BUT TO BOOK A FLIGHT 3 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE. VERY SAD AS I'VE USED KAYAK COUNTLESS TIMES BUT THIS TIME WILL BE THE LAST. I TRIED TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FIRST OF ALL TO DISCUSS THIS COMPLAINT BUT WAS NOT ABLE TO FIND A WAY TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE FIRST OF ALL. TOO BAD :(

bernardot5
6/28/16

I've used Kayak a few times to get me somewhere. The first time was when I was traveling to San Diego for a marketing conference. I got the flight through them while I ended up staying at the hotel on a deal I got for being at the conference. Other websites would've cost me around an extra $200 for the whole thing.

Another time I actually managed to save $800 by getting my hotel, car, and air travel through them. I compared this around getting directly from the companies I was purchasing from as well as a couple of those other sites I see on television. There has been one time when they weren't the cheapest, but given that it was a smaller airline, I can't really blame them.

donnay6
6/23/16

I searched the site for two hours before finding multiple flights that would work. When I went to book I was led to Delta website where I was told the price could not be met! What a huge waste of time. STAY AWAY!

isajob
6/21/16

My husband and I travel frequently locally and internationally, for work and for fun. Since he owns his business, he shops for the best routes and fares on Kayak. Kayak is the best place to narrow down the choices to 2 or 3 airlines by routes, by dates. Of course we check our frequent flyer airline first, but that is often not the best value fare overall or not the fastest routes.

dereko11
6/18/16

This is a helpful flights search tool as it helps to compare the fares of different companies. But making payments on the site was somewhat a challenge for me. The card was rejected a couple of times and I couldn't find a way to contact someone so they could help me out.

allaa2
5/30/16

I literally end up booking all my flight via Kayak. I've tried many: expedia, skyscanner, opodo, last minute and etc - but every time prices on Kayak are better and they have some great search options, allowing you to quickly compare and book your flight. Highly recommend it.

susank70
5/23/16

My husband bought a flight ticket from Kayak.com. We waited till the next day without receiving a confirmation, receipt, itinerary, anything etc...nothing. I found two methods to contact them. Both were useless without having the information we needed from the confirmation. The bank showed two tickets were booked, but did not show by whom because the ticket(s?) were pending till the day before the flight. I finally called the airline and they were able to provide us with my husbands itinerary, receipt, etc..that Kayak.com should have provided us to begin with. Never! Ever! Again, will I waste my time with this search site.

fredericks33
5/16/16

Kayak always come handy when you want to book for hotels. They make the entire process very easy and flexible.

terriev
5/3/16

Great comparisons. They do provide what comparisons one is looking for but many times other sites make less expensive options available.

andrews179
4/29/16

Kayak has become my go-to site to find airline prices. Very quick and efficient!

theag4

3/29/16

very efficient

smileyf1
3/19/16

I have used this website to find hotel deal quite a few times and have never had a problem. It compares many companies that don't always show up on other sites and I found some good deals. Never had a problem, no complaints here, will use again and recommend.

toms209
3/16/16

not going to use it because of all the Spotify ads. Going with expedia

frankt48
3/11/16

I bot an hotel via this site and when I arrived the hotel was not even close to what the pictures shown in the web site.
I called and they said they couldn't verify my card, which doesn't make sense as my card was already charged. I asked for my money back and they said at least 5 buisness days. I believe that they could sell the room for more so they cancelled my trip 3 days before. Then I had to rebook with the hotel and it was double the price. When I called to ask questions I was hung up on 3 times and when I finally talked to the manager he kept saying I need to talk to my bank. I asked why the money was off my card if they couldn't verify it. He kept saying I need to talk to my back. I said he needed to answer the question but never did.

bassema1
2/28/16

good

alexc113
2/11/16

I bought a hotel for all star weekend 3 days before my trip after my credit card was charged they sent me a email saying it was cancelled. I called and they said they couldn't verify my card, which doesn't make sense as my card was already charged. I asked for my money back and they said at least 5 buisness days. I believe that they could sell the room for more so they cancelled my trip 3 days before. Then I had to rebook with the hotel and it was double the price. When I called to ask questions I was hung up on 3 times and when I finally talked to the manager he kept saying I need to talk to my bank. I asked why the money was off my card if they couldn't verify it. He kept saying I need to talk to my back. I said he needed to answer the question and he replied with. I don't have a answer for that. I wasted a hour of my day on hold with them and I am waisting more time Reviewing them. Horrible buisness. Do support them ! Don't stand beside wack. We as consumers have the power to take down any corporation!

catherinem37
1/31/16

Just to warn you that this is the worst service ever. They do not have any responsibility for nothing. My husband bought a ticket fly using this website and suddenly he ended up booking with the company directly which is American Airlines and they didn't give any confirmation of this transaction. We thought that it was not a purchase made cause we haven't been charged so we bought the same flight ticket from American Airlines to Flight Hub where it went well..then 5 days after we found the charges that we made using Kayak and when you go through its privacy terms, there is no way to get a refund. We spoke to American Airlines cause we have double ticket flights and they say we can't get a refund cause is a non refundable ticket. We explained to them the issue and we didn't receive any notification from them but AA say that they only can give us credit for 2 years, what the heck!..Very disapointed of both Kayak and AA , they have the worst service ever and I won't buy any tickets from them even though they say they are the cheapest..Be aware !!!

193 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Kayak staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
bettyb8
Betty B.
on 6/29/12
Answer
mariom3
mario m.
A: I did a direct search to the actual airline sites, and I found a flight cheaper than 100 bucks , so is it just me or does kayak only list flights up to 100 bucks and up ?
on 4/19/12
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Kayak staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Kayak