Review of TripAdvisor

right@tripadvisor.com
2018 Customer choice award

elizabeths547
3/9/19

My husband and I used trip advisor to book our upcoming family vacation to Gatlinburg, TN. We travel multiple times a year with our children and unfortunately our initial vacation fell through and we had to have last minute travel plans. We got confirmation from trip advisor, the full vacation, more than $1500 was debited from our account, and got the remaining details from the property owner regarding our cabin and stay. 5 days before our trip, trip advisor cancelled our vacation much to the surprise of myself and the property owner. Upon contacting them they said my trip on short notice "fit the description of a fraudulent activity" and asked me to confirm my information. Even after confirming our information and asking if the needed further confirmation, ie copy of DL or Credit card used, their representative Sharon still refused to rebook our property OR assist us in any type of accommodations since this was 100% their error. The lack of professionalism or empathy when handling someone's vacation and money is disappointing to say the least. When speaking with another supervisor regarding this situation, I was told to "use another platform to book another property" for my vacation in 5 days. This is not how you conduct business!

avad13
3/7/19

Have been choosing a hotel in Vienna for reviews on this resource. The average rating was 4.8, 72 voted. We arrived, and the hotel was a disaster. Thus, tripadvisor cannot be trust

russm21
2/27/19

I was rather surprised to receive an email from tripadvisor, with defamatory accusations accusing me of trying to manipulate their system and making threats toward me and my clients.

After contacting them to find out what the hell this was about, It turns out that if you ever posted a review on TripAdvisor in the past and then end up affiliated with that company in the future, they will start taking unethical actions against you and the company you reviewed in order to penalise you and negatively affect your clients listing and rating.

This is obviously very likely to happen to you work in IT and web design managing websites for clients.

In my case I create websites and I have created websites for several local restaurants and also created TripAdvisor listings for them which I manage on their behalf.

And like many hundreds of thousands of other people around the world, I use TripAdvisor to review restaurants I visit, since that is the whole point of the website. And as a result I have of course reviewed some the restaurants who have since become clients.

Since nobody has the ability to see into the future, they cannot possibly know that a restaurant they are leaving a review for may become a client, or even that you might work for them in the future. And since time travel is not possible, you cannot go back and undo your review.

I have explained this to Tripadvisor, but they simply do not care and still think it is perfectly acceptable to take these unethical actions and to penalise you for review you left in the past before you were affiliated with that company.

elizabethr390
2/18/19

Jan 12, 2019 - Our stay was therapeutic at Homewood Suites by Hilton, Florence S.C.
1st Floor King Suite: High Quality, Spacious, Perfectly Clean; Shower - Therapeutic/Soothing! King bed - Woke up so refreshed. Didn't want to check-out! Kitchenette - Over the top! Fully loaded, Wow! Customer Service - Very professional, knowledgeable, genuine, highly accommodating after advised of health challenges! Hotel - Absolutely beautiful! Great home away from home! Thanks for such a warm welcome and a genuine come back soon!
Elizabeth R.

andreaa144
2/15/19

She wouldn't tell me anything and would be angry with me for no reason. Constantly on her phone and wouldn't let me even touch it.
Spyfix6 was basically my last clue.
When I got to her WhatsApp chats I broke in tears, my Wife was about to run away with this guy she had never met in real life.
Cannot thank Spyfix6 (at) gmail (dot) com enough.

Smartphone surveillance
Cheating Spouse.

rickp138
1/19/19

Our reservations went very well, and the individuals we were renting from were great. Lots of communication and lots of help from them.

However, there was absolutely no help from Tripadvisor when I asked for it on their website. No response equals no business. I'll take my business to the sites I have used, because they do respond. So, if I find a location on Tripadvisor I will look for it on other sites to set up the rental.

Also, don't look to provide feedback directly to Tripadvisor or any reviews of the Tripadvisor website. They are not there. The one email I received requesting feedback concerning Tripadvisor through the FeeFoon site doesn't exist.

susanl68
12/3/18

Is it pressure from merchants that is causing Trip Advisor to trash negative reviews? Is Trip Advisor going the way of Yelp? Is Trip Advisor unable to deliver? Is censorship going on? How much does it cost to get a bad review censored? Did the ownership of this business change hands? Gosh, what happened?

camilles46
11/29/18

We rented a very expensive vacation home from Magical Vacation Homes in the Reunion Resort in Florida. We have vacationed at Reunion every Thanksgiving for the past seven years. From New England, we rent a home with a private pool for the serenity of it and do not go into the Parks. Having paid for pool heat, we were disappointed to have none for our entire stay. We were never notified that there was a problem until we called Magical only to be told that no one was available to fix it because of the holiday. After NUMEROUS calls to Magical and their care team, we were told that the heater had to be replaced and was being "shipped." In Florida, wouldn't you think they could go to a pool supply store and purchase one??? Needless to say, we had no pool heat in November for our stay which spoiled our entire vacation. We ere told to use the other public pools on the property but we did not pay for a very expensive pool home to use public pools. Please do not do business with this company. Their communication was horrible and extremely aggrevating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tylern27
11/10/18

Lately TripAdvisor has been an absolute must for all of my vacation needs. Regular hotel trips just don't cut it anymore. There's just something a lot more exciting in trying your luck in some obscure rental place.

patriceb19
11/7/18

My sister and brother-in-law and I had a great time seeing Lizzie Borden's home and imagining how this family lived and died. A gruesome crime, to be sure. Some parts really creepy like a door that opened by itself. Suzanne St. John was a super tour guide in this experience. My relative on my Dad's side came from Ireland over to Fall River. My Dad had to walk by Lizzie's house on his way to his grandmothers!

jakiz
11/4/18

Attempted to contact TripAdvisor is a entered an incorrect email address on an order. When you call the phone number for TripAdvisor they advise you that they handle all tech support online. There is virtually no way to correct the error that I had made so I couldn't receive my confirmation email on my booking nor could I talk to anybody about it. I will never use TripAdvisor again

coraleev
10/29/18

My husband and I went on a cruise to Bermuda for our 40th wedding anniversary. Upon leaving the ship in Bermuda, we came upon taxis lined up to take tourists around to see the beautiful island of Bermuda. A very professionally dressed man named "Charlie" approached us and offered to take us on an hour trip for $100. As my husband has trouble walking, we took him up on his offer. True to his word, he showed us such beautiful sites and he was so informative. He stopped anytime we wanted to take pictures, go in a place such as the old churches, lighthouse or anything we wanted. He made this trip all about us. He actually took us around for 1 1/2 hour for the 1 hour price. If you go to Bermuda-be sure to look "Charlie" up. You won't be disappointed. He is a real professional.

freddied12
10/26/18

"aircraft over half empty"
Freddie Deneira (United States) 23rd October 2018
Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. On October 18 I approached the desk of Peruvian air to ask if I could fly on that day instead of the ticket date, the attendant said there is no problem and directed me to their office. At the airport, I went there and the clerk said there is no problem, she informed me that I would have to pay a 47 dollar rebooking fee to which I agreed. soon after she spoke to a supervisor she ask me to comeback at 2 PM and confirm the flight, I agreed even though I wanted to pay for the rebooking then and there she refused to accept my payment and asked me to come back at two because there was a probability that the flight was going to be cancelled. I came back five minutes to two and waited, finally, after I went the front desk and asked for assistance they told me that the person at the office was late coming back from lunch, so I waited and the clerk showed at 2:25 PM and went in to his office to open the computer site, It took about ten minutes and, mind you the flight was to depart around 3:20 Pm he spent about 15 minutes supposingly checking the flight load factor. He finally told me that the flight was fully booked and there were two unclaimed seats that he could book me on if I pay 151 extra dollars. I paid up. Proceeded to the gate, went onboard, sat in the assigned seat and waited to feel how lucky I had been to get a seat not minding the price I had to pay. Waiting for the door to close and the rest to the people come on board I was surprised that the aircraft was over half empty.

benp146
10/18/18

Using this site to find what to do, activities and places to see when I'm traveling. Easy to use and get's you a lot of information in one place.

joana123
10/5/18

Tengo la mala suerte de tener que colaborar con ellos. No he visto peor servicio al cliente en mi vida. Semanas para contestarte un mail, ninguna posibilidad de resolver los problemas por teléfono. Sin ninguna duda la peor compañía con la que colaboro.

terryw215
9/28/18

The top app which I use while traveling. All sightseeing, useful tricks and interesting tips are included. The big advantage is the opportunity to read references about the particular place from other people. One of the best helpers in a new location.

brucek98
9/20/18

Amsterdam Restaurant in Rhinebeck NY. This restaurant is worth the visit. The food was quite good, fresh and prepared well. Appetizers were actually better than main courses. Excellent wine list.The one complaint I have was with service, it was much too slow and we had multiple people attending to us. No idea who was supposed to do what.

oliviaw64
9/20/18

Very convenient to learn all the details about the trip. You can even plan your route.
I like when everything is prepared before head, so you don't have to think of anything during the trip and just enjoy it. It is a pleasure to deal with this site.

cathya85
9/5/18

We got very lucky earlier this last August when we managed to find a campsite near Yellowstone. I didn't expect too much because everything was booked. However, we got five nights at Rainbow Point Campground, 5 miles north of West Yellowstone and loved it! It's beautiful, has very spacious camp sites, very clean vault toilets, on a lake, the quietest campground I've ever stayed at and the hosts were meticulous about keeping toilets and campsites impeccable. Our campsite's ground had been raked when we arrived. As soon as a camper leaves, within minutes they are checking the site and getting it ready for the next person. It was 5 miles north of West Yellowstone and I think 2 miles on a paved road and then 2 miles on a good gravel road. $19/night can't be beat. Showers are available at the coin laundry in town.

williamn129
8/23/18

Needed to find out some specific info about my next destination and managed to find most of my answers in one place. Very useful site!

dominiquec25
8/19/18

I booked a one-way shuttle ride to an airport. I received a confirmation but it did not contain the time the shuttle would arrive. The next morning, no follow up confirmation. I called trip advisor but the automated system said to call the vendor. I called the vendor. There was no reservation but trip advisor did keep the $45 Payment. When I cancelled a shuttle reservation that did not exist, they kept my money. Will never use their service again.

davidc1276
8/9/18

As an owner Trip Advisor doesn't help you one bit. They allow you to publish a minimum of info ( compared to airbnb or similar), and I found the calendar doesn't work. There is no Customer Service to speak of. It's all pre-recorded, and all based on keywords. It's the worst of what a computer driven world looks like.
However, the traveller seems to like the complexity , and completeness of info for planning entire trips. That means that the owner becomes quite a small part of the attraction of the website, and this leads to a minimalistic presentation of our rooms.
I like the way the traveller is encouraged to make contact, but this is a slow and unreliable way of taking bookings. With some travellers it works, with many others it costs you a lot of patience and careful explaining to get things done.

ronc234
8/7/18

UP AND DOWN THE WEST COAST,AND THIS ONE I REALY LIKE,STAFF IS GREAT AND A GREAT GENERAL STOR,,WITH PATRISA AS MANAGER,,GREAT PERSON AND LOTS OF STUFF IN THE STORE,,,GOING MONTHLY NOW BECAUSE OF TWO ADDOPTED BOYS,,SCHOOL TIME,SO BEAUTIFUL IN THE WINTER,,,SAN BENITO CAMP GROUNDS HOLLISTER,CA,,,,SEE YOU THERE

Tip for consumers: LOTS OF OPEN SITES HERE,,LARGE SITES,SHADE,POOL adult and family,BEAUTIFUL IN THE WINTER

barbarah401
8/6/18

If you are headed to Door County, Wisconsin be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Shoreline restaurant in Gills Rock. Not only is the food wonderful, but if you are there at 8:30 pm, the sunsets are spectacular. Ordinarily they don't take reservations, but we were a party of 17 and they made an exception. The service was excellent and the presentation of the meal was fabulous. Barbara H.

claireg62
8/1/18

I have just had a terrible experience with Getaroom.com, a site I was bumped to from Trip Advisor while making a reservation at a Hampton Inn. Hampton Inn has been fabulous and cheerfully refunded the disputed amount. BUT Getaroom is still trying to force me to pay for a night's lodging at the Hampton Inn even though they have already refunded Getaroom their money!!!! Apparently Getaroom's business model is to force you to pay for a room you didn't use even when the hotel has refunded the room charges???
There are (at last count) 1328 reviews for Getaroom. Over half - 714- give a single star which in their words equals a rating of "Terrible". Why is TripAdvisor, a trusted site I used to rely on completely - allowing themselves to be associated with this fraudulent and dishonest organization? All the reviews use words in their headlines like SCAM, FRAUD, BE WARNED, MISLEADING. These reviews could not be worse. TripAdvisor people, please wake up and get rid of these crooks. FYI I am also contacting the folks at Hampton Inn who apparently authorize Getaroom to do business on their behalf. No reputable company should want to be associated with this website.

3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

These guys are a joke, and take advantage of unsuspecting rentors and renters by charging fees and cancellation penalties, even when it was not you who cancelled. I'd avoid them!

By Kerry D.

Questions? Get answers from the TripAdvisor staff and other customers.

2 Photos for TripAdvisor