Review of TripAdvisor

right@tripadvisor.com
2017 Customer choice award

michaelb1348
6/30/18

I made a booking, I thought through "Trip advisor" to find it was booked through https://www.cancelon.com. What I thought was the rate and booking I set up with Trip Advisor was 2 rooms with 2 adults each. the confirmation from CancelOn showed 2 rooms 2 adults. When I immediately called CancelOn for clairification I was told 1 adults only per room. To add two more adults to the reservation resulted in close to doubling the cost advertized with Trip Advisor, To cancel at that time would result in a $220.00 fee. Absolutely ridiculous, After some discussion with the nice representive and his discussion with his supervisor, the fee was reduced to $110. This is still too much for a 15 minute transaction that was deceiving from the beginning. I would advise people to avoid offers from Trip Advisor and do not allow CancelOn to make the bookings.

nancyp213
5/14/18

Purchased advance tickets for the Museum which is supposed to whisk you inside without standing in line. HA! Pouring rain and the line had probably 100 people. Showing our "avoid the line" ticket to the door guard, he said no...that means you avoid the line inside the Museum, not outside. Go back into the rain with all the other people that have the same ticket. Finally, getting inside...there was another long line and everyone had the same "avoid the line" ticket! Take this into consideration when you buy "advance..avoid the line" tickets!

malissan1
4/27/18

Between TripAdvisor and OpenTable...vacation planning is a piece of cake. I use it like Wikipedia; I get ideas for things to do/places to stay then further research them. Love it.

harryh43
4/24/18

I especially find the hotel reviews useful as I shop around online. There are enough good and bad reviews to get a good picture of how frequent the bad happens and the good. It's helped me to avoid some bad experiences. I only wish that more travel sites would link to the Tripadvisor review for the establishment.

thomasj160
4/23/18

Recently stayed at the Quinta De Reciao near Lamego Portugal in a converted grist mill. Location and facility were wonderful. Would have given 5 stars but did not have wifi and the TV did not work so could not check out what was going on in surrounding areas. Would recommend this place even without wifi.

kevinp158
4/18/18

Been using their app for more than a year now and it works awesome for making hotel booking quicker and easier. Yes! TA is my travel mate..

path168
4/13/18

Went this afternoon for HH and the 2 good beers were out. Then, the chef decided that dinner would start at 5 not 4 as advertised. Seriously??? Bought one over priced beer and left. Went next door to Calypso, great craft beer for 3$, shared the seafood platter, and had the clam soup. Excellent. SKIP 11th ST. Bad marketing and decision by the chef, Would love a response.

sudheeshk
4/11/18

Our Dubai tour was professionally organised by Tripfactory . Totally tension free with their arrangemen

madonnaw
4/8/18

I booked with Cancelon for the Superbowl 2018. I paid in advance for a room at the Hilton 10 mths ahead of time and received my confirmation. I called them every month to make sure my confirmation was still there and was reassured it was. Cancelon put me in a Comfort Inn and told me a week before I departed. It was too late for me to get a room elsewhere. They ruined my trip and birthday weekend. I will never use them again, and hope this reaches people considering uses them in the future. I contacted them several times after for a partial refund out of good faith with no response.

jeanpierrej
4/1/18

Just return from the Excellence; despite disappointing renovation (now modern-retro versus charming elegance), we still in love with this beautiful resort, visited 17 times since 2005. Service is still excellent, food no so appealing, no more casino, but seeing few great staff (Jeifried, Naomi, Miss Rodriguez, Dario and another Dario on the beach) treating us for many years as VIP, makes our vacation a dream. Go to the Excellence, you will always want to be back.
Christa & Jean-Pierre

maryg381
4/1/18

We checked I. Had the most pleasant experience Ive ever had checking in to a facility !! Matthew was amazing and very helpful I would definitely recommend the hotel because of him !!!! I have traveled many places And felt very welcome at this facility

meerap3
3/30/18

Please don't recommend Aloha pure nature in rishikesh....totally fraud hotel. Very bad management ; totally unprofessional

jayc172
3/24/18

I assume it is good since you are associated with them; you seem good. I have never used travel agencies, only church related groups or organizations like CIE Tours. I notice other reviews; take a look at them.

dotm8
3/21/18

Have been to Flippers when visiting Ft. Myers and Bonita Beach area -you should try it? Food was really amazing and so were the drinks - little high for evening so we always do lunch. I hope you will try it.

berylb4
3/13/18

The best and the only place in St.Thomas to shop for Jewelry, They are honest and they will give you the best price and their jewelry is qunique.

Jack & Jackie B.

andrewt78
3/5/18

This site will not release any contact information of the guests until all the payments are complete.
As a remote owner with rental properties in Costa Rica, this makes it difficult to prearrange transportation, tours, and activities with the guests.
All other sites, VRBO, Airbnb, etc. release the information when the booking is made and half payment is received by them.
Another annoying negative is that this is the most difficult site to get thru to on the phone.
Overall Tripadvisor/Flipkey is the worst vacation rrental site for owners. They push their "free" listings but owners pay in not being able to provide the best service for their guests.

aiselles
2/19/18

I travel a lot and this site is very helpful when I'm searching and booking hotels. Their review section is also a great feature for me to check and see others feedbacks/comment of that particular hotel,restaurant etc.. On top of that I am also getting affordable offers and discount from this site. Highly recommended!

emilyw114
2/14/18

I adore this site. Very useful, a lot of truthful information. When I plan a trip I always use this service.

franko62
1/27/18

I love to travel and find it very handy to check accomodations/things to do and or reviews in general when I am in a new country or town. Very handy!

jacquesh8
1/23/18

My wife politely asked to replace an item in her order that was not properly cooked. The owner, an older woman, tried to explain away the problem through erroneous and misleading claims, when her explanations were refuted by my wife she grabbed her plate with a huff and disappeared. Her business model appears to be "the client is always wrong"!

pierrec18
1/20/18

I think that due the low identity controls of this site is very easy to create false reviews that can damage a lot a property or the opposite,it can magnify your expectations of it.From the site also they hide they real identity to access a property and inspect it but it would honor them if they comment with the management of the property prior to upload them.

josephf44
1/14/18

After using Trip Advisor extensively for worldwide travel the past 3 years, I offer an assessment of the company's reviews, listings, bookings, and payment protection policy:

Review Positives: 1) The characters for writing a review aren't limited, allowing for more detailed reviews than several other sites; 2) The site seems to publish all reviews, good or bad, allowing for accurate ratings of the businesses; 3) The site continues to be the largest and most respected source of reviews, providing an invaluable resource for those willing to put the time in for research.

Review Negatives: 1) The computer's "bad word" screener is picky and intolerable, taking no account of word context nor providing a list of banned words; 2) The rejection of a review does not include a reason, nor a copy of the draft to attempt a rewrite; 3) Reviews of new places are discouraged via unjustified rejection of such reviews, including ones that meet the detailed requirements.

Overall, I'd judge TA's reviews to be more inclusive and detailed than booking.com or any other travel site. And while its true that some non-critical reviewers are too generous with their 5 star ratings while others are too unreasonable with their 1 star ratings, the totality of reviews provides immense help and details in determining the suitability of an establishment. I wouldn't book any new place without using it.

Listing Positives: 1) The website's pictures, details, map locations, and reviews for each site are usually clear and user friendly to navigate; 2) You can open and review a specific listing without losing your spot in the prior listing of places.

Listing Negatives: 1) Some of the owners' pictures are very poor quality, suggesting a low standard for photo representation; 2) Some owners submit a rediculous number of un-related photos, covering up a lack of relevant ones, or trying to hide the grim accommodation being presented; 3) Some of the map locations are shown as big, general circles, rather than specific locations which is vitally relevant; 4) Some owners hide mandatory fees in the lower narrative without reflecting them in the listed price, allowing their listing to appear higher in the general listing's order; 5) Many of the prices listed in the specific listings' price details are noticeably higher than the summary listings' prices.

Overall, I'd judge the listings to be useful, helpful, and adequate, but with multiple flaws that could and should be corrected.

Booking Positives: 1) The process is simple, clear, and user friendly; 2) The final cost and details are usually provided on the specific listing page; 3) The payment process is usually easy via credit card or Paypal. 4) Follow-up emails are always provided concerning the bookings and payments.

Booking Negatives: There surely are some, but not to my memory.

Overall, I've found the booking system to be excellent.

Concerning payment protection, I can pass judgement based only upon one recent case incident where I prepaid $1400 (non-refundable) for a month's stay in a specific room. Upon late check-in, I was provided an alternative cruddy room worth half the price. With the private condo owner completely unavailable, I checked out the next day and pursued a refund from Trip Advisor - my first such encounter and test for them.

Payment Protection Positives: 1) The TA staff attentiveness, care, reasonableness in understanding, and status updates on my case was excellent. 2) The resolution of the booking mistake was fairly handled with consideration for both owner and guest. 3) The warranted refund was timely credited within 11 days.

Payment Protection Negatives: 1) The lack of contact telephone numbers on the website was an unnecessary, initial annoyance. Only after my initial messaging did they provide numbers of 844-558-6015 and 877-354-7539 for assistance; 2) The handling of my case by 7+ reps and 3 email sources contributed to unnecessary confusion, stress, and worry.

Overall, I was impressed with Trip Advisor's response, action, and prompt resolution. It's good to know that they do hold the money, at least for awhile til after check-in, so that a guest isn't completely vulnerable to a condo owner's mistake (or a dishonest one). In this sense, the TA fee does buy some insurance that is worthwhile.

brianp146
1/6/18

We were a party of eight attending the new year's dinner and dance, staying over three nights. The accommodation was very good in the upgrade room except for having the shower being over the bath and water not very hot.
The food was excellent over the whole period but the live group playing on new year's eve was far too loud and only played the same tempo so anyone wishing to have a romantic dance was not catered for except for the disco chap who played a medley of 60's music. This rather spoiled the evening for us, however on new years day there was an excelleny sing over dinner that evening.
We would not go back unless they had a better live group more sympathetic to the age group attending. Our age group was 50 to 60.
Brian Passey

josef269
1/6/18

What I like the most about this website is that I can see photos taken by people who have visited the hotels and tours, among other things.

suej58
12/7/17

We held a meeting at the Fairfield Inn in Monaca, PA and it was very nice. The room was very well equipped and had an efficient set-up. The room worked great for our meeting and short presentation. Carol, the manager was a pleasure to work with, as well as the worker who took care of our room. She was wonderful as well. Thanks & would recommend their meeting room and hotel!

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

These guys are a joke, and take advantage of unsuspecting rentors and renters by charging fees and cancellation penalties, even when it was not you who cancelled. I'd avoid them!

By Kerry D.

Questions? Get answers from the TripAdvisor staff and other customers.

TripAdvisor?