Review of Groupon

sysadmin@groupon.com
2017 Customer choice award

sharont87
10/1/17

Buca di Beppo was very expensive for two people. Okay my fault for not doing more research. My husband and I love leftovers so what the neck. $90 later food was not any better even when I tried doctoring it at home. Would never ever eat here again. Chicken Parm. And Chicken Alfredo was our two picks. Olive garden even Fazolis had more flavor

ashleyh150
10/1/17

After searching for the best place to buy flowers. I decided to purchase a voucher for 30$ worth of flowers from 1800-flowers. After visiting their website, I found out that they will charge you a service fee of 15$ in addition to your order! That is not listed in any fine print and really defeats the purpose of any voucher. I should have just purchased the larger flowers and got my service fee waived better then giving groupon my money on top of the flower place.waste of money!

patrickg71
9/29/17

Groupon sold me a membership to a gym, which turns out to have been closed for weeks. Then working through multiple "chat" sessions (as no human exists at Groupon) I was finally told that I could use my purchase towards another Groupon purchase. 1) I should be able to get a refund! ...2) They are still selling Groupon's for the closed gym, even after they "confirmed" that it was closed.

I would guess that a substantial portion of Groupon's profit is unused Groupons!

Crooks. Spread the word.

tytrt
9/29/17

There was a problem with my card so they just canceled the order without informing me. when I notice the item was out of stock. Very poor customer service.....

paulinek2
9/28/17

I have never had a bad experience with Groupon. They have always come thru with the items I have ordered. Except for one time when they e-mailed me to let me know that they had a problem with the vendor, whose product I ordered, and that my item was not available and they refunded my money to my method of payment. Great company, good customer support.

marthat24
9/28/17

We recently purchased a hotel room in Aspen through Groupon. We paid for it up front as is required to "get the deal". We traveled to our destination with 2 kids 5 hours. When we tried to check in to the hotel they told us they did not have our reservation to contact Groupon. The hotel further told us they did not have any rooms available anyway, they were sold out. We contacted Groupon and you have to try to chat with them on the phone you get NOWHERE. They wrote us an e-mail giving us a refund and said they were sorry. They left us stranded with no solution to their screw up. With 2 kids and after traveling 5 hours we had no choice the cheapest room we found on the spot we found was 3 times more than we had booked but we had no choice they left us stranded. Groupon has no guarantees for what they sale, sales are NEVER final, they are false advertising. They say Ibam sorry at nauseum but in the en all they do is give a refund. Imagine if you are far from home, they gave us a coupon for $100 to spend with them. As if you want to buy from them again. Customer service amounts to I am sorry emails with no solutions NOTHING.

lenad10
9/28/17

Very frustrating - groupon has gone downhill.
I used to be an advocate until the last two groupon deals I bought BOTH were falsely advertised and impossible to redeem.

1. The place groupon sold me a voucher for was closed for 2 months and yet groupon still sold their service with false advertising.

2. Absolutely absurd. I bought a flight lesson as a gift. When I called the company they swear groupon was supposed to stop selling their voucher and that they were invalid. Groupon never sent any notification or apology for their mistake.

There is no phone number to call and on the chat if you can convince them to give you a refund, you have to wait 72 hours for someone else to contact you.

heatherc115
9/28/17

you can save if you need something specific but you have to plan ahead.you could waste limited resources if you don't use whatever you buy.be selective in your purchases and use them in a timely manner.

mabyp
9/27/17

I had guests from Europe in town, so my partner decided to invite all of them/us to watch the football game at UMD Terps vs. UCF. He was very proud to have struck a great deal on groupon.. The fine print was that the tickets would have been sent via email before the game! The game was on Saturday afternoon at 3pm. My partner kept sending messages to groupon help desk asking when the tickets would have been sent..He was always reassured "you'll receive your tickets before the event" As of 12/noon on Saturday, he still had not received any tickets at his nth message to Groupon, fed up with their usual response - you'll receive your tickets before the event" He went to the stadium and bought tickets there !! Luckily there were still some tickets available! This is unbelievable.. Hoping in a refund he wrote again to complain and the message received was:

'm sorry for the inconvenience. That's never the experience we want you to have when you make a Groupon purchase.

We've investigated this issue and I can confirm that there were some delays in sending tickets, but you'll receive your tickets before the event.

Unfortunately, because our GrouponLive deals are ticket purchases, we're not able to offer refunds after the day you buy them. We always do our best to explain this clearly in the Fine Print on the page where you buy the deal and on your Groupon voucher itself. I'm sorry if anything about this was confusing.

Again, my apologies that I'm not able to help with your request. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Natalia P.
Groupon Customer Support

Still the same response!!! AWFUL experience! NEVER AGAIN

mm326
9/26/17

I made a reservation at Edgewater Beach resort in Panama Ctiy Beach through Groupon. When I arrived, there was an astronomical fee that was not clear on Groupon's website. The clerk at the hotel stated I could get a refund, he would put in the notes that I did not stay so I could get a refund.
Groupon and the Hotel both stated it is not their's, but the other party's responsibility and have gotten nothing but a run around, especially from Groupon.
I will never ever do business with Groupon again and would recommend the same to others.

jaredt12
9/26/17

I had purchased a massage and the merchant kept canceling my appointments. Groupon customer service would not refund me the purchase amount. Thus, groupon is a risk as the merchant may not honor the groupon and groupon will not provide a refund. It can save alot, but it is a risk and can cost you $ if a merchant does not honor the groupon. Beware of Groupon's customer service and refund policy!

brandyr21
9/25/17

I will never in my life use Groupon again!!! There were 2 purchases made in my name that i did not make. Groupon has a dumb ass policy that they will refund your money if you tell them by the next day. Well i did not notice this until 2 days later. I contacted them and they said sorry our policy states we will refund you up to the next day after purchase. I had a few words for them so they said we will file a complaint for you, alot of good that did not even 3 hrs later and i get an email that they didn't find anything wrong and will not be refunding my money. What a crappy company. I called my bank and it is being handled but i am done with Groupon. Beware people, Groupon is only worried about making money and not making their customers happy!!

judyj35
9/25/17

Love this company and their deals. Even if for some reason you don't use them before they expire, you can still get at least what you paid for it! I've found so many new wonderful placed simply because of Groupon, and now I'm a repeat customer. On the one unusual occasion that I did have a problem, I called customer service and they made it right within MINUTES. The merchants that use Groupon are really smart to, great way to build their clientele. You can even use Groupon with e-bates! Will never stop using, and if you haven't used Groupon yet, find a place and service near you and start now!

jaredj8
9/25/17

This is the perfect place to try new services, products, classes and at a great price. We found are new favorite restaurant this way :)

sanm15
9/25/17

I placed an order on Sept 16th.
Fine print says that
Order ships in 2 days
Order is delivered within 7 business days.

After one week, order status says that preparing for shipment.
Now can someone explain me how Groupon will deliver this order within 7 days?

It was my mistake that I ordered products from Groupon. No one at this company knows where is my order and there is no way for me to understand exact ETA for this order.
This happened 2nd time so going forward big NO for any product purchase from Groupon

johnnieo
9/25/17

Recently I bought a Groupon, but I forgot to use a promo code. I asked if I could cancel and re-purchase because the difference was $80. I was told that wouldn't be equitable for Groupon. I've been a good customer for several years, and they wouldn't bend. They tried to get me to believe that the promo code wouldn't work for my deal, but I had referred someone who did get the 20% off his price. I pleaded as a matter of principle, but Groupon didn't care when I said I couldn't shop with them anymore. Nothing I said made any difference. Groupon would rather dump a customer than to make a good business decision. They finally offered me a measley $5, which to me was the same as leaving a bad tip at a restaurant. I no longer will be a Groupon shopper because I know that the customer DOESN't come first.

maryx7
9/24/17

Everyone who has been ripped off by Groupon, lets launch a social media group to stop this predatory taking of consumers hard earned money. Cash doesn't ever expire! Why should a voucher? The government will need to change the laws about this. Why should any merchant receive your money and provide no service for it - that's irrespective of whether it has expired or not - CASH never expires.

amberp42
9/24/17

I purchased an item last year, November 25, 2016. It was a watch. On November 27, 2016, I got an email saying the watch shipped via FedEx and was given the tracking number. I was told it would arrive in 4-7 business days. This was a Christmas gift. As Christmas got closer, I never received the item. I have been in contact with many people and I was told that they "ran out of stock" and they would refund the money. I said I wanted what I paid for so they told me to wait and they would get more in stock but it may take a while. It was sad that I didn't get what I paid for on time and even worse they said it shipped when it never did. Today, September 24, 2017 I chatted with Cyrille J and she tried to tell me that FedEx lost the package and she was sorry that FedEx did that. Then, she ended the chat with me! Never gave me a chance to say anything else or resolve the problem! I was first told that it ran out of stock but they would send me one when they received another and today, she told me a different story and tried to blame it on a shipping company when the product wasn't even shipped!!! What a scam. I will never do business with this company again (I did shop a lot with them) and I will make sure to pass the info along to everyone I know.

Tip for consumers: Avoid this site entirely

nanar3
9/22/17

They have some good deals, but the original price is usually marked waaay up so that it seems you're getting a much better deal.

cr3969
9/22/17

I have used Groupon for discounts on local services and have found it to be very good. BUT, buyer beware - groupons for services expire in 180 days. You don't lose the money you paid, you lose the deal. But, the reality is, can you expect a local vendor to hold up a deal for longer than 180 days? I guess not.

My experirence with buying goods has been with buying a refurbished phone. I'm on try #3 because the first one came in and the speaker didn't work. Second one came in and wouldn't accept my SIM card. My biggest gripe with Groupon - it takes 2-3 weeks for the refund, even if I return the item immediately. Groupon's customer service is nothing special and it's impossible to actually speak with someone - the best I could do was a chat and the person was of no help.

I am an avid Amazon.com user because their return policy is AMAZING and their customer service is excellent. If this third phone is not good, I'm done with Groupon - I'll spend the extra $$ and buy from Amazon.

jessicag175
9/21/17

Great service and promised turnaround time Promises delivered thanks one of the best company good offers

jaynec18
9/20/17

I recently purchased the 3 tickets for £12 at any Vue cinema outside London. When I went through all the choices and put the code in, it took me to a page where you had to choose a seat for a further £4.99 per ticket!!! No where on the original advertisement was this mentioned - Complained to Groupon Customer services and got a load of bu.. sh.. as all answers had nothing to do with the complaint. I gave up in the end and got them to refund my money. Rubish service and false selling!

Tip for consumers: If you want to pay more than double the advertised offer for cinema tickets - go ahead and book with Groupon!

mobinj
9/19/17

Do not trust their reviews. There are some good places but there are some really bad offers too. I used Groupon to get my oil change for my car, turns out they never did the oil change.

robertd129
9/18/17

I haved used Groupon many times and found the process to be simple and easy to use.
Highly recommend Groupon to anyone

mikew214
9/14/17

So I bought concert tickets. Then it turned out I could not go. So less than an hour later. I login to attempt refund or cancel. I still have not yet been assigned tickets. So I email them. The concert is about 72 hours away. They get back over a day later with about 48 hours left til concert. Still not assigned tickets which I think is weird. So I finally get a response from some call center in foreign country guy. Basically saying tough luck give it to someone as a gift. So I text a friend and give away tickets. Still not assigned tickets yet. Then a couple hours I get an email from groupon sorry we sold tickets we don't have some system error. They refund 1 of 2 tickets. I email and said I gave away tickets this is unacceptable. Got generic response about bumping it up. Two days after concert get email your situation has already been resolved. I'm like hell no it has not and I haven't received a full refund. Still haven't heard anything it's been about 3 weeks now. They didn't even say sorry or anything for bad customer service. I've decided to share with my friends my horrible experience and we all buy tons of groupons. It's a horrible organization that has no clue about satisfying or resolving issues. I've never been treated so arrogently.

1,623 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes , Groupon is legit. You need to read the fine print before ordering live event tickets- -they will not refund your money even if it's there fault. I only buy tickets for activities that don't expire or you can use the purchase price towards a non-Groupon service the vendor offers. Hope this helps.

By Wylendia E.

I do not buy or recommend buying anything with expectations of a guarantee. If it isn't what you expect. It is your problem - not theirs.

By Jackie M.

Groupon usually sends a tracking # via email If not do as the other people suggested, check My Groupons

By Storme G.

I usually call the merchants I am interested in before buying the coupons, and ask them if the groupon coupons work, and how much more I have to pay. You could do the same, contact the merchants you are interested in and ask them how groupon works for them?

By Julie P.

I personally do not trust groupon. The question previous to yours printed on this site should answer your question as to its reliaiblity

By SHIRL H.

No fees. However, the deals they advertise never add up to be what they seem on the web site. Beware

By Selcuk I.

The one I took by Holly and Hugo at least were I would research the company before buying. Also about twice a year they put all their courses for $5!! I got mine completed it and it helped boost my resume and I was able to get a vet assistant job pretty quickly compared to before where I only got a call back from about one place which didn't lead anywhere. :) hope I could help!

By Melanie R.

There should be a Proof of certification provided. Check that first, send Groupon support an email about your concerns. If I looked up the same ring. Is it being offered by Bliss? And 14k white gold? there is a description provided. From what I can see everything is there. I will tell you that there are 2 different scales for determining the clarity of diamonds. One is much more stricter that the other. Sorry I don't remember the names of them, but my guess is that the lower scale is being used to determine the clarity. I-J at 12-13 is about the standard for most diamonds bought in a jewelry store. Walmart would be n-m at 21-24 clarity. Print out the page so you have a copy as proof of the description. Take it to a jeweler and have it appraised. If it doesn't match, you have so many days to return the item. Groupon will keep a record of your emails and question sent. You can also contact Bliss Jewelry to confirm everything before you buy. An additional step that I recommend is to first sign up for ebates if you don't have an account. If you by it through the ebates site you will get back up to 12% of the sale price back. That's a lot of change back. No catch. I by everything through ebates. Yes you can return the item. Just make sure you are following the process.

By Bonnie S.
Questions? Get answers from the Groupon staff and other customers.

30 Photos for Groupon