Review of Groupon

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

danl78
3/4/17

Lots of great deals. Been using it for ages. Available in most cities that I travel to.

The only thing that should be more clear is with restaurants: dates (and times) when deal doesn't apply is not stated visibly enough. I was "caught" booking a dinner this way few times. Had to get a refund. This can be easily avoided.

Either way, a good company.

samanthap62
3/4/17

Definitely a must have app to have on your phone when your in a new area. A ton of deals from new businesses to try out their service for a low price.

kandisp
3/4/17

I spent $229 on an Xbox which arrived not working. They tell me they don't deal with it, call Microsoft. Who keeps it for anaother month. It comes back, same problem, nothing changed. Now they want me to send it again. I just want out, but now the 90 day warranty is up and they will only fix it if I pay. What?
I contact Groupon explain the whole story. One response, after 3 days waiting for a response,Your 90 day warranty is up. Case closed.

bettyb82
3/2/17

The customer service is horrible, rude and you will be ignored . I wanted to cancel an order because could not get an appointment with the carpet cleaning services with my coupon but customer service said they were not cancelable . The lady was so rude and she hang up in me . Will stay away from Groupon this is the second time this happen to me

ashl2321
3/2/17

weekends are my groupon search for restaurants half off. The service is good too but you have to make sure its neary by

estherc18
3/2/17

Love browsing I always seem to find some great deals. They come quickly and I have never had a problem with my purchases.

adriand24
3/2/17

Helped me to save some money and there is really lot of products to choose! That could be cool for getting more stuff for electronics.

georgew104
3/1/17

I love shopping here. Get the wine tasting certificates and have some fun. They make for a great weekend adventure.

staciec8
3/1/17

Super fast and courteous customer service. Easy returns and a huge array of different goods and services you'd never think of.

krystalw9
3/1/17

I have bought a few things from Groupon so far. Have not had any problems or complaints, I would say I'm satisfied and would shop on Groupon again and would recommend it. My only thing I'd try I weigh the was more for my area

parimap
3/1/17

Good site to trust and offer is always excellent. But somtime offer is not valid.However site is good not bad one..

nancym164
3/1/17

I have bought several Groupons. I especially like it when I get a notice that the time has been extended.

ruthd34
3/1/17

I have purchased Groupons for massages and had some good experiences and some very bad ones! Groupon refused to refund my money even when the Business and I agreed that we were not a good fit. It is a crap shoot, and Groupon does not value it's customers enough to look at an individual situation and make adjustments the veer from their rigid policy of only 3 days for a refund, which is of course a totally unrealistic length of time. Jen P. was unrelenting, unsympathetic, and unapologetically unhelpful!

lisac276
3/1/17

Bought a Groupon for guitar lessons for my fiance. Instructions were to contact the vendor (guitar teacher) to set up the lessons. After 7 attempts to contact the vendor and zero returned calls, I called Groupon. They said they would contact the vendor and have him get in touch with me within 3 days. Three days later after not hearing from either Groupon or the vendor, I called Groupon back. They said they will contact the vendor "again" and I would hear something in two days. Two days later, you guessed it. Nothing. I called Groupon again. I asked for a refund, since the vendor is unreachable both my me and by the vendor. Nope. "We don't give refunds" is the answer. This is my absolute last Groupon. Luckily my credit card company saw the value of my business (unlike Groupon) and refunded it from my credit card.

beths90
2/28/17

I noticed that I had a package going to the wrong address the day that I ordered it. I called to let them know and they said they can't do anything about it and it will be delivered to the wrong address. After being delivered I called and said I wanted a refund. They would not refund me the money. They said they already had an item they refunded from 3 years again and can't do it again. The previous item was sent to the wrong apartment building because the delivery service made a mistake not me!! Despite debating this over and over they still refuse to refund my money. Horrible customer service.

lindam268
2/28/17

I purchased a Groupon with a "one day 50% discount". Once I checked out, I realized the location for my restaurant was incorrect so I contacted Groupon through instant chat (since a phone number is no where to be found on their website). They told me they will CREDIT my account and apply Groupon Bucks so I can REBUY the correct Groupon. After waiting 10 days for my refund to my bank account, I contacted Groupon via chat again and was told I was not going to get a refund because I didnt apply the coupon code the 2nd time. I told them I thought the Groupon Bucks took place of the coupon code since I was asked to REPURCHASE the correct Groupon. They said no and and that was it. Needless to say, I was not happy, because not only did I now pay full price for my "50% off coupon", I had to be penalized because there was miscommunication. Groupon needs to have more easier access to speaking with a live person so these situations are avoided in the future.

nataliek30
2/28/17

I bought a Starbucks Groupon and my husband wanted to buy the same one (diff account). It kept saying error. I called Groupon and they gave no help and blamed it all on Starbucks. Then the guy said he would give it to me anyways then hung up on me. I called back and spoke with a girl. I told her the same thing and she couldn't help me, blamed it on Starbucks and told me they couldn't give me the Groupon. She said the man lied to me about giving me the Groupon. So I got lied to, no help, disrespected and hung up on. I then called Starbucks to let them know what Groupon was doing and how they blamed it on them. They told me it's all Groupon (which I believed) and how sorry they were they did that. I told them they need to take note with how Groupon is teating people and makes Starbucks look bad. He then told his team about what was going on since I called the feedback line. I have never been treated so badly by a company and they have THE WORST costumer service. They could care less about helping you. They lost a lot of costumers in my family.

matthewb127
2/27/17

I really didn't think about it this way but they are really good at giving me ideas for where to take out my next date. I just login and look at what would be a fun activity for two people.

pattym35
2/27/17

Of course, they always lead with the lowest price....always sucks me in. I always read the reviews though....and they're usually helpful. I've gotten good quality stuff. So I feel like I came out ahead....

vincentv17
2/27/17

Especially the ROG3 Cleaner works great 5 star rating and 20% OFF makes this a great deal. Love the site

deeb67
2/27/17

Go for it walk with your fingers in the comfort of your home and a pair of fussy slippers. You will find it with no effort.

kated47
2/27/17

DO NOT BUY GROUPONS!!! I bought a groupon for pilates classes using their mobile app, and the next day received two emails -- one for the pilates (stamped 9:51 a.m.) and the second for a car wash (10:05 a.m.) which is nowhere near my home. I tried live chat twice, two phone calls (one hung up on me), one supervisor. They said this often happens when purchasing via the app, but would not issue a refund. One hour later, I am very aggravated. So now AMEX will just cancel everything. No groupons ever again.

miket172
2/26/17

On 1/3/2017 we bought for $100 a Groupon Coupon for The Melting Pot restaurant in Bedford, Massachusetts, where we understood we could apply our $100 to meals, and would get 4 $25 credits when we visited the restaurant 4 times.

On 1/25/17 (3 weeks later) we first went to use the coupon on a $37 meal, only to find out that the deal was not exactly as described. We had thought we could use our $100 over several visits, but our waiter told us we needed to spend it all in a single visit. We showed them the deal, and asked them to show us where it said that, but they could not. Nonetheless, the restaurant said we needed to spend the rest of the $100 on that visit, which we did not want to do. They said they could do nothing and we had to take it up with Groupon. We paid for that meal in cash and left, very unhappy, but expecting at least to get a refund.

(We are not alone. After visiting the restaurant, we read the reviews of the offer, and there were two which recounted experiences identical to ours. One called it the biggest scam around.
Also, reading all the other scam victims of Groupon on this website provides strong evidence for our government to take action to stop what Groupon is doing.)

We contacted Groupon the next day. Even though we had good reason to ask for a simple refund, Groupon refused to give it. Over the course of several emails and phone calls, we gave them our arguments, but they just replied with bland robo-emails. They had our money and were not going to give it back.

We had charged it on a VISA card, and we entered a dispute. VISA listened to our story, saw our point and gave us a "provisional" $100 credit. But a few weeks later they took that back saying that they could not legally take back the money from Groupon (or at least were not willing to fight them for our measly $100.)

We were naïve to trust Groupon, and it looks like we will get no satisfaction from them. We can at least warn others to beware of Groupon.

This episode reflects poorly on the business practices of both Groupon and The Melting Pot restaurant, neither of whom even apologized for the misleading offer. If they even cared, they could have at least improved the description of the deal to make it clearer, but they have not.

Good businesses stand behind what they sell. There is no good reason for Groupons 3 day refund rule, other than to keep the money of unhappy customers. They have no regrets as long as they can keep our money.

elveecao
2/25/17

My husband and I attempted SEVERAL TIMES to visit this eatery. We were successful once, and the Groupon didn't cover our meal. So, we returned SEVERAL TIMES after that, and either the kitchen was closed due to their irregular hours or the restaurant was not open. Even though we Did Not enjoy the flavorless food the first and only time our schedule matched their fluctuating hours, we attempted to return just to get something for the Groupon money we paid. Perhaps Groupon should warn people of places with unpredictable, erractic hours and mediocre menus. Like many others, our time and money have their limits. If I had known it was goung to be a donation, I would have preferred ST. JUDES Hospital.

stephv2
2/25/17

I have purchased items on Groupon and at times when I wanted to cancel the item for whatever reason the pathway to cancelling the item, also kept having a Big "VIEW VOUCHER" even after wanting to cancel the item. You have to click and give your reasons why, which is fine, but you have to meticulously ensure you don't click on the biggest thing on the screen which is "VIEW VOUCHER." And if you click on it by accident the product is yours, especially if it's after 3 days where you waited 4 days because of a long weekend for the merchant to respond.

2,179 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

109 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Groupon staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question