Review of Groupon

dmca@groupon.com
2018 Customer choice award

ashleyn102
7/14/19

This app will steal your money without hesitation. They are thieves, dont even waste your time because they will take your money in a heart beat

josephc668
7/10/19

So many different and great deals each day. If you plan on doing a new activity, go check that site and you will surely find something similar to it for a nice price. You can literaly find anything from children books to medical certifications!

scarlety
7/9/19

Purchased restaurant voucher online on 5/2019; The restaurant was out of business and we contacted the Groupon customer support online for refund; The Groupon rep. not only didn't help me, but also wanted to sell me something else instead of refund. She was very rude and cut off the chatting line just because I didn't follow her options to take their offering. I didn't use groupon often; from this experience, the entire thing seems a bad joke. The Groupon is playing games to cheat on people's money. No business/ service worse than this, stay away...

oliviar88
7/8/19

I purchased a Groupon voucher for a particular service. I was given something completely different. When I contacted Groupon customer support they stated that because "a" service was rendered that they weren't responsible. If you pay for an oil change... you might get a car wash. They do not care. I urge you not to use Groupon if you have not already used the vendor.

jasonh420
7/3/19

Anyone thinking of using Groupon for your business "DON'T". Groupon clients for most part are loyal to Groupon. They will take your original price sell it for half that amount then give you 37 percent of that profit. Then Groupon supposed to pay you two concrete days out of the month and will be 2-5 days late paying you every time. If you get on Groupon do it for no more than 2 months then leave!

greerh
7/2/19

You can no longer contact customer service by phone or email. I can't get in touch with the company to schedule my massage and I can't contact Groupon to get my money back. I'll never use them again.

michelleg429
7/2/19

Accidentally purchased two instead of one x 12 bottles wine and immediately contacted Groupon. Advised by email one lot would be refunded. Upon checking three days later there were still two orders, contacted Groupon again only to be told to read the fine print. NOT HAPPY

juliam8
6/28/19

Shopping for Groupon Goods.
1. Upon completing a purchase, every time I get a message "sorry, something went wrong". It's very confusing as the order actually went through, the status is "processing" and it gets shipped after a while.
2. There is no link to edit or cancel order while in process. Then it gets approved at 1 am and they give 2 hours to edit/cancel. Really?
3. Discount code didn't work with no error message and no discount applied.
4. Order details fail to include product specifics from drop down menus. No wonder they sent me wrong size.
5. Fine print says "free returns" but when clicking on "return" I get a message that it's not eligible for returns.
6. Customer service contacts are excruciatingly hard to find on the site.
7. The form to describe a problem to customer support allows to send only a Twitter size message. What's the purpose of this feature?
8. Customer support looks like really bad AI (or outsource?) which isn't able to comprehend what you're saying and shoves random messages at you.

Shop elsewhere, I've seen exactly the same deals on LivingSocial. And most deals are not really deals but regular prices.

nathanaelg6
6/28/19

I purchased a gift certificate through Groupon. I did my research of the 3rd party and felt very comfortable with the purchase. When I entered my groupon code I then was made aware that it was only a discount card and not a gift certificate which I purchased. I attempted to contact Groupon via phone and they do accept phone calls. I then attempted to contact them via live chat agent and found that Groupon is never online. I filed a complaint with the Groupon and a Zander L responded. They would not refund me and they would not provide a contact # or a last name of who I was speaking with. Only Zander L which is the most made up name ever. Groupon will rip you off bottom line. I have filed a fraud charge with my bank and reported them to the BBB. I will never do business with them again.

aikow
6/27/19

Would have gave 5 stars, but I once bought concert tickets , they cancel the concert change of venue I try to get a refund and he never came through . (Was the red cat Jazz concert,

codys95
6/22/19

We were very particular and meticulous when shopping around and when choosing Groupon we are 100% certain our bill would be in CAD (it said it would), and we got charged in USD; big difference. We contacted them and they said since we were already billed, there's nothing they will do.

Criminal.

Never again.

chrisa447
6/21/19

I am a Groupon select member, its a waste. without membership, you could still use the special coupons and receive offers, with membership it is expensive. So avoid membership of 5$ per month.

gill12
6/21/19

I have purchased a large number of Groupon deals. Some of the products are good and a bargain. Some are marginal but what you'd expect for the price. However, I purchased a carpeting cleaning deal to be fulfilled by a company called National Dusters. When I called to schedule an appointment, they told me they did not service my area. I promptly notified Groupon by responding to an email I received from them. When my credit card bill arrived, I discovered that Groupon had billed me for the deal AND National Dusters had billed me an amount that was greater than the deal price. Since the Groupon website did not provide any obvious information as how to contact Customer Service, I went to my credit card company. They were unable to resolve the issue. I went back to Groupon and tried several things that were supposed to get me to customer service. The best I could do, was to get into a loop that sent me non-nonsensical emails. I emailed National Dusters and thus far have not received a response. Before this, I would have given Groupon a good rating, but this experience has resulted in two stars which is probably more than they deserve.

mrsd40
6/21/19

I bought a Sonic toothbrush for Christmas. The brush tip stopped fitting on the handle so I contacted Groupon and since it was purchased before Christmas it was now past the 45 days so I had to work with the selling vendor, Great Smile and Vanity Planet: BOTH HORRIBLE.

I received the REPLACEMENT and, as I expected, the exact same issue happened. I am NOT HAPPY that I am only eligible to receive credits instead of a refund. If they are only selling products for a cheap price but the products are junk, WHY SELL THEM? 100% for profit! They do NOT care about customers. They do NOT care about quality. They do NOT care about providing good customer service OR good products.

I will never ever do business with Great Smile, Vanity Planet, or with Groupon. I am VERY disappointed and frustrated that they sent TWO DEFECTIVE items and expect me to order something else that's ALSO likely defective. HORRIBLE SERVICE! HORRIBLE PRODUCTS!

jessiecannat
6/20/19

I wish I could give negative stars. They list false information for hotels, when you try to cancel with the hotel the hotel tells you no problem, Then groupon says the hotels policy is that you cannot cancel. Supervisors will not get back to you after you're told that they will contact you even when you send multiple emails. I rented a hotel New York City that was listed with a pool. You had to pay extra for amenities. This pool closed at 5:45 and you were not allowed to check in until 4:00 PM. What was not listed on Was that you have no access to the pool for any more than an hour and 45 minutes, And you only have access when you rent out a lien for 30 minutes at a time. I had three children with me I'm not sure what children are satisfied with 30 minutes of a li I had three children with me I'm not sure what children are satisfied with 30 minutes of a lane. I ended up having to pay over $200 for a room that I didn't even stay in all when I tried to dispute it previously

margaretm412
6/18/19

I bought a Groupon and never logged back in for about 3 weeks. When I did log in to call the merchant to set up my appointment my Groupon had been redeemed.

Groupon has no customer service number anymore. They make it EXTREMELY difficult to get to any person at all and you have go through a series of steps to get anywhere which is a complete waste of time because once you get in touch with someone they don't care and do nothing for you. Not a timeline of when they will complete the "investigation" not that they will do anything for you, nothing! So basically I'm out my $300 and could give a rats ass. This has been a horrible experience and I will never spend another dime with this company of scam artist

mem122
6/17/19

If I could give a worse rating than crappy( spelled $#*!ty! #%&@*#) I would. It doesn't let you know how to complete your order. I got the message that there was issues, but I could not go to that part of the site. It charged my card. Never got the tickets I ordered. Still have to pay for the tickets I never got. Never going to use groupon ever again.

elaines158
6/17/19

Bought a deal Friday for Ian's Oven, a restaurant we've been to many times(food is good). Owner of restaurant, John, refuses to honor the coupon saying it's the wrong one. Wants us to buy other exact same deal from other site. We say no way. Husband contacts Groupon today for a refund or a credit since owner of restaurant refused to honor their coupon. Groupon says tough luck, all sales final. So we are stuck with a worthless deal that we paid $15 for and we had to pay our meal bill to boot.
Not at all happy and don't care to ever use groupon again or go to Ian's Oven(unless they get a new owner).

mellissar1
6/16/19

Soooo....over the years I've spent a ton of $ on Groupons. I used the majority but let 6 different ones expire. No big deal, they say the business has to give you face value, so what u paid for the Groupon off their service or product. Not one company has valued it. I try to get a hold of Groupon customer service and they make it impossible to talk to someone so they don't have to refund u. The customer service chat is a joke. The operator never connected with me, hung up, then sent me an email of a chat that never happened where the operator took care of the issue. No!!! Nothing was ever resolved. Also, last 4 groupons I bought no one ever answered the phone to schedule an appointment or they are already out of business. I used to love Groupon, but this is very shady business practices all because you got too big and selfish. I guess I won't be getting my refunds and I won't be spending another dollar on this scam company.

chrish33
6/14/19
• Updated review

My original review was way before Groupon went public. They had their IPO in 2011. Their laughable $26 initial price is now $3. They own thousands to Quebec businesses, delaying payments months and months. They take (nearly) half of the coupon prices they sell, yet, they were bleeding deep red 9 out of 11 years since their IPO. There is no improvement in sight.

Any merchant who is approached by Groupon should run from them.

Anyone who considers buying Groupon coupons must be prepared to receive no product/service in return.

“There is no such thing as a free lunch!”
8/29/11
• Previous review

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Groupon, like other group discount sites, are pushing businesses to feature money-loosing deals, taking 50% of what you pay from business and convincing business-owners that people once visited the business will continue to do so over and over again paying full price. Life shows the opposite.

If you bought an incredible deal from Groupon, you must know that the business, you about to visit, looses money on that deal. To recuperate, the business will use all kind of strategies - from up-selling at higher-than-usual prices to cheating or closing the doors on you. So, be prepared. If you think you are strong enough to not submit to sales pressure, you also must be prepared to receive low-quality service in return (you know, when business will realize you cannot be milked, they get rid of you by giving you $#*!ty service).

My advice is instead of buying coupons from Groupon, call the company they advertise and tell them you want the deal but like to pay directly. You will need to pay, may be 1 cent more, (in order for business not to violate Groupon agreement), but you're guaranteed a happier experience.

joeyh59
6/12/19

Never received my purchase(s)
Followed all procedures perfectly~
Groupon rep kept referring me back to vendor who I had reached out to on multiple occasions & merchant was unresponsive for days, weeks-
Groupon reps continued to string me along w commitments of escalation of my issue to no avail-NO ORDER(s) EVER RECEIVED after 2 months-no resolution.
COMPLETELY & TOTALLY RIPPED OFF
NEVER AGAIN***

lisam1026
6/12/19

I have several unused coupons and it is impossible to get a refund! The vendors don't respond nor does Groupon. I am going to complain to the state consumer protection agency. I advise everyone to do the same.

gailm202
6/6/19

I would rate this company a 0 .. the Customer Service sucks . i requested a refund and it has been very difficult to get .. i never used the voucher and this should not be that hard .

davew299
6/5/19

Don't waste your money buying groupons. They shut down their customer service phone lines and now you can only deal with the morons on their chat lines. Good luck getting any money back from them! Stop buying groupons and put those idiots out of business!

kalaunad
6/5/19

NOW I LOVED THE IDEAL OF THE GROUPON BUCK. BUT NOW THEY CHANGED IT TOO AFTER 3 DAYS YOUR NOT ABLE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I AM GOING TO BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT I PURCHASE OR MORE LIKEY GOING TO US IT LESS TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. GROUPON IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE.

1,623 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

It is a legit site. I have made a couple of purchases. Any material type items have been junk. I was satisfied with the purchase of a voucher for a discount to a local attraction. Never buy any hotel or vacations. If you read the reviews you will find they a sub-standard, at best, a rip off. Always read the reviews for anything you purchase. Most have complaints of low quality. Bottom line, read reviews and/or do a search before purchasing anything from the. I personally will not buy anything but a local attraction voucher that DOES NOT have assigned seating. The seating offered is in the worst area of the event.

By kj s.

Yes, report it but using social media is a very effective way to get a companies attention. Spread the word, Groupon does not honor returns!

By karen h.

I do not buy or recommend buying anything with expectations of a guarantee. If it isn't what you expect. It is your problem - not theirs.

By Jackie M.

Groupon usually sends a tracking # via email If not do as the other people suggested, check My Groupons

By Storme G.

I usually call the merchants I am interested in before buying the coupons, and ask them if the groupon coupons work, and how much more I have to pay. You could do the same, contact the merchants you are interested in and ask them how groupon works for them?

By Julie P.

I wish I could say why, but a solution might be to contact Call Curtis, or your local News station that helps with consumer issues. They always seem to get fast resolutions, because companies hate BAD TV PUBLICITY.

By Patti B.

I personally do not trust groupon. The question previous to yours printed on this site should answer your question as to its reliaiblity

By SHIRL H.

No fees. However, the deals they advertise never add up to be what they seem on the web site. Beware

By Selcuk I.

The one I took by Holly and Hugo at least were I would research the company before buying. Also about twice a year they put all their courses for $5!! I got mine completed it and it helped boost my resume and I was able to get a vet assistant job pretty quickly compared to before where I only got a call back from about one place which didn't lead anywhere. :) hope I could help!

By Melanie R.

There should be a Proof of certification provided. Check that first, send Groupon support an email about your concerns. If I looked up the same ring. Is it being offered by Bliss? And 14k white gold? there is a description provided. From what I can see everything is there. I will tell you that there are 2 different scales for determining the clarity of diamonds. One is much more stricter that the other. Sorry I don't remember the names of them, but my guess is that the lower scale is being used to determine the clarity. I-J at 12-13 is about the standard for most diamonds bought in a jewelry store. Walmart would be n-m at 21-24 clarity. Print out the page so you have a copy as proof of the description. Take it to a jeweler and have it appraised. If it doesn't match, you have so many days to return the item. Groupon will keep a record of your emails and question sent. You can also contact Bliss Jewelry to confirm everything before you buy. An additional step that I recommend is to first sign up for ebates if you don't have an account. If you by it through the ebates site you will get back up to 12% of the sale price back. That's a lot of change back. No catch. I by everything through ebates. Yes you can return the item. Just make sure you are following the process.

By Bonnie S.
Questions? Get answers from the Groupon staff and other customers.

Groupon?