Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

wp17
5/16/17

Tried to return some items that were apparently over the 14 day window for returns and weren't exactly as advertised (multi color instead of just one color) and received a snotty reply: "By the way, even 5/11, it is still over 14 days. Policy is policy. If you give us a bad review because your order is over 14 days not allowed to return, we will report you to Etsy and post your threatening email under your review to let people know what kind of buyer you are." Wow...such a great company to do business with, and certainly the last time I do.

fredy30
5/12/17

Purchased a vintage 3 chain glass shade, over a week later updated shade has shipped.Shade arrives in a box barely big enough for glass shade, it is wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap,packed in peanuts the shade is shattered.
Will never do business with again

brendab126
5/10/17

I ordered 2 signs for teacher appreciation week. Huge lack of communication with the product. I purchased it . Received it in an email still had to take it to a print shop and pay additional $28. Not happy at all.

elizabeth
5/10/17

Years ago, Etsy was an excellent place to find truly handmade and unique goods. That is not the case now.

Search is dominated by cheap, reseller items. Before purchasing anything on Etsy, I always check Ebay and AliExpress; a lot of the time, the exact same items are listed on those sites for a fraction of the cost. Any truly unique items are buried under a sea of manufactured or trademark/copyright violating goods.

Further exacerbating this problem is the terrible search engine. Rampant mistagging means that search never pulls up the items you are actually looking for.

In addition, the seller quality has definitely gone down. Many either 1) Don't ship on time 2) Never ship at all 3)Ship sub-standard goods.

If you want to support small handmade goods, I'd look elsewhere. Shopping on Etsy is not at all what it used to be

jedi7
5/9/17

My cc was stolen and I was issued a new one. When the new one came I tried to update it on etsy since I owed $0.20 for a listing fee. However, due to the short cc shipping time, their very short grace period resulted in them suspending my account and then wouldnt allow me to update it with the new cc - there was no way to just update the card! On top of that, I wasnt allowed to purchase anything from etsy bc i didnt have a valid card on file - with no options up updating to the new card. This glitch in the site is absolutely rediculous and a middle schooler could fix the coding to allow a new cc to go through plus pay a fee. Why would I have to plead with them to call me so I can beg to have my new cc be put into my file to pay less then a quarter i fees and buy something.

rileyl11
5/8/17

A while ago I had purchased a LEGO figure from a seemingly popular LEGO seller on Etsy. The seller is located somewhere in Europe. I never saw my package. There was an issue with the package itself, and it was never delivered. When I tried getting my money back from the seller, the seller basically told me I was out of luck and not getting my money back. Even though I never even SAW my order. I never physically got to see it because of post office issues. When I brought this up with Etsy, they backed the seller. SO the package went back to the seller, the seller got to keep my money... I still don't know what I did wrong. I feel completely cheated. I use Etsy sparingly now. There is maybe one seller I stick to ordering from, and it's not often. The products I get from this seller are the best, so I want to stay in touch. Other than that, I wouldn't buy much on Etsy. I would trust other websites like eBay or Amazon over Etsy a hundred times over.

tyt15
5/7/17

I ordered 2 golf balls priority for a party on Sunday. I text the company multiple times asking where my order was, no response. On friday 3 days after a placed the order priority, they sent me a confirmation that iit was going to be shipped that day. I emailed them again, no response. Now next week I will be shipped a useless order that was supposed to be priority. Please think twice about using this company and don't let them ruin your parties!!!

jackm195
5/4/17

Pathetic excuse for a company, dreadfully corrupt.

My girlfriend had started her selling business on Etsy selling merchandise which she put a lot of time, money and effort into. She had lots of orders coming in and business was extremely healthy for her. We had been looking at moving out of my parents house and into our own flat, put the deposit down and within the hour have had to pull out of moving because Etsy have shut her account down and held all of the money owed to her until September!

Turns out this links back to an issue a little while back where an anonymous person had made some sort of inquiry to Etsy to see if she had permission to sell her products (she is selling under a brand) and she had sent proof of permission to Etsy and this person so it was cleared up, She had done nothing wrong here bear in mind. Etsy put her on a probation period where if she broke any of the terms they would suspend her account. That's fine, she had been doing nothing wrong so had nothing to worry about. But they still did this even though nothing was done wrong.

So now they have suspended her account for 'extortion' because she hosted a giveaway for her customers. If they bought an item, all they would have to do is leave a review of said item and they would be entered in to a draw to win free stuff. Apparently this is extortion and was listed in the T&Cs. Well actually it wasn't, but they said it anyway.

When my girlfriend noticed this she got in touch with Etsy to ask what was going on they told her that doing giveaways was against their policy, she replied asking them to explain further as she couldn't see it listed in their terms. they then sent her a blunt email telling her to refer to the previous email, then blocked communication with her. Disappointed with this she tried contacting them via Twitter, which they also blocked her on.

They had around £1900 of her money from buyers which she won't see until September, she still had to find money to make and ship orders. They left her without income without warning, and refused to talk to her and hear her voice. What an absolutely disgusting way to treat the people that are keeping you in business. I will be sharing this far and wide and to everyone even slightly inclined to using ETSY.

ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES OF A COMPANY. Do not support this selfish, lazy establishment. Spend your money elsewhere, or better yet buy from the sellers directly.

Tip for consumers: If you like an item from a seller don't buy through Etsy, buy direct, then the sellers get the money and recognition they deserve.

box18
5/2/17

I used to love etsy and even promoted them to everyone and even inspired some friends open shops of their own to sell there too long ago before they were as widely known. It is people like me who made etsy the community it became. I feel they treated their sellers better before they became public. It's not the same any more. They are becoming like another website I know that rhymes with dejay who's getting hammered by another website that rhymes with parmesan.

You'd be surprised how dirty some sellers play the game. Your competitors will be the ones to complain about your listings if you are doing too well (even if they are the ones infringing your original creative ideas). Have a few complaints and etsy will close your shop and it won't matter what you say. And if you have 2 shops, like I did, they will close both of them.

You're better off creating your own website and driving your own traffic through other websites. At $.20 per listing (for 3 months or until it sells, at which time you will incur another $.20 to relist), fees add up real quick despite them taking 3% final value fee plus additional 3%+ if you opt for direct deposit.

alem9
4/27/17

DO NOT order from this company. I've order a canvas that was $327.82 over a month and a half ago. I tried contacting this company multiple times and nobody has responded. Do not order from them!

crystalb71
4/25/17

I love this site. And I love the idea of purchasing from the little guy, instead of a corporation. Some very talented sellers!

debbiec106
4/23/17

They sent my purchase to someone else is what they told me. So I'm having to wait till that customer decides to send it to me. What ever!!! Etsy should have sent out my purchase again but to me this time. I've emailed over and over Still havnt received anything Or my money back. Who is running this place. A bunch of kids???

brucej40
4/22/17

Received my first order of treats from Katrina's Barkery, my Samantha really loved them. Will be ordering more.

carolm192
4/21/17

Googled glass clocks on Etsy and found the product I wanted. The artist / maker is well worth a look Craig is passionate about his work and it is truly beautiful .My clock arrived quickly and beautifully packed -- and not far from where I live.This site is well worth a look

michaelw337
4/18/17

I purchased several items for my upcoming wedding from this site. Loved all of them. They arrived as described in a timely manner. Would recommend!

melissas118
4/18/17

I ordered something paid for it and didn't recieve it....ETsy said too bad nothing they can do..... So you are screwed if you order something from this site. They can take your $ and you not recieve anything. DO NOT USE ETSY!!!!

oliviad20
4/14/17

I had a shop since 2012. I was paying them over $350 in selling/listing fees & an additional $350+ in payment processing fees PER MONTH...
They closed my shop - REFUSE to listen or help in any way. VERY generic email replies when i do get one.
They WILL NOT even reply to my emails & they STILL have $$ in my payment account that they refuse to release to me. However, they still want me to fulfill my orders & ship them out at my own expense & i have to hope that they release the funds to me.
Not sure what to do... because etsy HAS the money & not me. At this point I don't care about the reviews.... I want the $$ for the sales so I can complete & ship the items or the buyers will be assed out till etsy decides what they're going to do. Its not fair to ME or the BUYER, but I don't have the $$$$- Esty does.

hellolittlejoysi
4/12/17

I ordered from Hello Little Joys/Little Joys via Gmail in February 2014. In particular, the sushi hair clip trio sit and bandana bib trio set. When I received my items they smelled of cigarette smoke. The hair clips fell apart immediately and the bandana bib had a Chinese tag on it. Come to find out that this individual is an infamous scam artist who purchases her items from Aliexpress and resells them for more. I found it sketchy how this person doesn't list their full name or address. Come to find out it's because she's well known for being an insane thief and hides her name because of this. Beware!

#hellolittlejoys #littlejoys

soupyk1
4/12/17

Presently closing 3 accounts once unsold listings expire. Customer service is basically non-existent - and a public company to boot! Does not listen to suggestions by professional sellers and is constantly changing search functions to the detriment of its members. As bad as fleabay is, it is still a better option to spend a few cent more for results.

lisaa160
4/9/17

Etsy sucks for both sellers and buyers! As a seller; I complained I was being harassed by a man & Etsy suspended all 4 of my shops! 8 years on this site, sticking it out with all their bogus changes, no sales. As a buyer;forget it if you have a problem, they do NOTHING, you have to call your bank to get your money back.
They allow scammers & said there's no way for them to remove these people! Really eBay will remove a fraudulent buyer in a flash.
They play favorites to their sellers, they have be the perfect stay at home housewife, that has nothing to do other than cook, clean,organize the house & make arts and crafts projects! That's their ideal seller & main target for buyer, yeah right, it's 2017.
Vintage site! Where, 95% is new! made in China junk. Retailer jewelers are allowed & they have links to their websites, gee none of them frauds are suspended.
The search system never works, the employees are clueless, their own editors pick items new from Walmart for 99 cents & promote them as vintage..
Real dealers, antique sellers & buyers laugh at this site.. It's filled with crap!
At this rate, their system is overloaded with complains, cases, etc. Doubt they'll be in business long..

daver125
4/8/17

SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS, ENTREPRENEURS, AND ANYONE THINKING ABOUT SELLING ON ETSY- DO NOT PUT ANY TRUST IN THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE A TERRIBLE PLATFORM.
-They are extremely lazy as a company.
-They will nickel and dime you with their bogus smoke in mirror ETSY PATTERN which is a complete slide of hand service.

Poor operation would be a compliment. Don't let them take advantage of you. I went to Shopify!

Tip for consumers: Go to Shopify or WIX. Etsy will be out of business soon as their extensions and apps are outdated, overpriced, and extremely limited.

deborahs110
4/8/17

I am an Etsy shop owner. I actually have two shops one is five years old one is just a year old. I recently had my five-year-old shop hacked and contacted Etsy immediately for help. They responded by suspending both my shops stating it was for my protection. I strongly believe it was for their protection not my own. I am a single mom of two daughters and my Etsy shops are my main source of income to take care of my family. I have made numerous attempts to contact someone at Etsy for help and support to no avail. The company that preaches and teaches to us shop owners on the importance of great customer service has proven to practice just the opposite. I am angry and disappointed; among other feelings I am heartbroken. Etsy had given me the opportunity for a life I truly enjoyed and now, in my opinion, has taken it all away at the click of a mouse. The hacker started the process but Etsy has done the unrepairable damage.

madb6
4/7/17

I WROTE A CHECK AS ETSY LETS AND ALLOWS PEOPLE TO WRITE CHECKS AND MAILED IT THIS WAS OCTOBER 2016 AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BABY IN 8 WEEKS WELL IT IS NOW APRIL AND STILL NOTHING LIKE REALLY??!! ETSY SAY THEY CANT DO $#*!, MY BANK WONT DO $#*!, AND THE COURTS SAY SINCE IT WAS ONLINE THEY CANT DO $#*! SO I GUESS IM GONNA HAVE TO MAKE A 13 HOUR TRIP TO BEAT THE HELL OUT THIS LADY AND MAKE SURE ITS WOTH THE MONEY I SPENT ON BABY AND MAKE SURE ITS WORTH MY DRIVE ALL WAY DOWN THEY BECAUSE THIS $#*! WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH STEALING FROM MY ASS!!!!!! STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AND YOU CAN NOT CALL ETSY THEY HAVE A NUMBER BUT IT TELLS YOU TO EMAIL BASICALLY AND HANGS UP LMAO SO I HAVE TO WAIT WEEKS FOR THEM TO RESPOND AND HEAR THEM SAY WE CANT HELP SORRY!!! LIKE $#*! U I WILL HELP MYSELF TO HER DAMN DOOR

karinh12
4/7/17

ATTENTION CONSUMERS!!! Use another trusted site. There is absolutely NO buyer protection. First purchase a few months ago went smoothly. I didn't like the item (t-shirt) because of the quality. But, I just decided it would be a hassle to ship it back. Second, and LAST time was a few weeks ago. Different "company." But, again for another T-shirt. I placed my order and 8 DAYS later, they convo me that it's out of stock and will be delivered in another WEEK! By the time it gets to me, it will for sure have passed the date I needed it. But, I figure I could use it for another event. I receive the package and now I'm pissed off.I specifically asked if it was going to be a certain color or atleast close to it. It's not. I'm baffled and even googled the color. Fast forward, I'm 100% not satisfied. The transaction, the quality (looks like something you can get at Charlotte Russe. But, for a cheaper price tag!), the fit (unflattering). I ask for a refund. Denied. But, she does offer to trade in for another shirt. Of course, after paying for shipping AGAIN, this shirt that I'm trading in will cost me $35+. SO not worth it. But that's not the point. I don't want any of the products. I just want my money back. Contacted Etsy and same lame answer as other people on here. No BUYER PROTECTION! Cancelled my acct. Going back to Macy's, Amazon, eBay etc. This is your last warning before you buy anything on Etsy! Just DON'T! Especially from HappyHeadTees. Learned my lesson. Never doing business with Etsy again. I have just bought myself a $27.58 rag for my car.

shannona29
4/6/17

This site is a dream for people whom love handmade. I am disappointed that they now allow non handmade items.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v. on 12/12/15
Helpful answer

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q. on 4/29/15
Helpful answer

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G. on 3/3/13
Helpful answer

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O. on 11/14/15
Helpful answer

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S. on 8/4/15
Helpful answer

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M. on 5/28/15
Helpful answer

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V. on 11/2/15
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Etsy