Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

andrewj112
10/11/17

I have ordered several items...decals for my car and my fiancees car. I had Just received my Superman window decal. I have had no problem and i had received my orders withing 3-4 days depending on where it was coming from. The customer service was excellent. Thanks Etsy. I will recommend them to folks....oh wait....i already have done tht.

briannam21
10/10/17

Been waiting on my order for awhile now still haven't got it can't get ahold of nobody to talk too will not order from them again.

danah64
10/9/17

Received a second bird from this artist ... birds are delicate and very lifelike. I bought a pure white one and a blue jay. They are sitting on a lampshade and at Christmas, the white one sits on my tree (I bought the white one at a sale before this artist opened on Etsy). Love them! You can be sure that this seller will deliver as promised.

jessf24
10/7/17

I have shopped on Etsy for years! Spent thousands of dollars on that site!! I guess the policies have changed. Or the shops dont care. Second time never receiving my package. Sellers are small shops arent held responsible to make customers happy. Etsy doesnt do anything either. Im done. I wont shop on Etsy ever again. Sucks to waste hard earned money online and have no guarantee of ever receiving your package. Shop local or direct!!

thun13
9/29/17

Spent 5 years on this site , and one day they shut us down without warning just like housand of sellers else . This is the most unsafe place for seller , please be careful !

tamraeu
9/28/17

I bought a few items from Etsy for my granddaughters BD, 2 of which never arrived. I reached out to sellers many times to no avail. it's very difficult to "open a case" on this issue. that tells me the Etsy mgmt really doesn't give a crap if you receive your items. I will never buy from this site again.

traceel
9/27/17

It seems about 30% of the time when I buy on Etsy the items don't ever arrive. I get charged and sometimes I get charged like $50.00 to ship very light items, but then they never come.
Etsy doesn't back you up like Amazon. They make you wait a week AFTER your item is late before they'll even open a case.

I ordered--most recently--sparkelers and rose satchels for my daughter's wedding next week. I'm out $600.00 on these 2 items--neither have arrived--and Etsy's policy is that I should wait until the wedding is over before they will even look in to it.

NO MORE ETSY for me. Amazon takes care of their buyers.

donnad118
9/26/17

I ordered two initial prints as wedding gifts from Knot&Nest. Before placing the order, Becca took the time to show me what the prints would look like using two different date formats. I ordered them on the 20th of June and they arrived on the 24th. The burlap was of very nice quality with some stiffness for easy framing. I framed them myself purchasing frames that were matted with an 8 x 10 opening. Love this product and will be purchasing again. Thank you Knot&Nest!

joek117
9/24/17

I ordered acrylic paints never received it after waiting 15 days contacted the seller he responded that they will investigate . That was the last I heard from them I send more messages and never got any responses that was the end of it no refund no product no explanations.

paulel1
9/22/17

i have ordered items for my wedding includings my dress i received them well before the time frame on time quicker than i expected. i bot my dress from LoveTheBride shop the shop owner is tasha mertene based in Lavia very good quality my dress was done in less than 3 weeks very happy with the finish.
i didnt have to return any of them.
other etsy vendor i would recommend
my wedding jewellries from https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/LILYINWHITE
ring holder https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/talkingloves
cake topper https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/caketoppersshop667
wedding bag from https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/AlohaCreativeShop

nishaa5
9/21/17

I ordered a dress for a wedding for my daughter on 9/7/17 when I received the dress it was torn. I emailed the manager several times about the issue and received no response. I paid 90.00 for a dress that cost less than 5 to ship. Shipping was $17 and then the dress was torn upon arrival. I will NEVER order or recommend this unprofessional company to anyone. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS SITE!!!!

christinaf44
9/13/17

Recently Etsy has changed their policy to one which forces buyers to accept bank cards and credit cards. Unfortunately what this means for sellers is very long wait timse for getting payed. I decided not to use Etsy anymore when it took 3 weeks for them to deposit the proceeds from my last sale into my bank. That is WAY too long. No more selling on Etsy for me!

normk1
9/13/17

Ordered an item, a different one was received, forgot my password, their system is unfriendly, told them so, then received a 1 line email that was :"You cannot do that" and two sellers cancelled orders. This is not a business; it is a popularity contest and if sellers perceive a buyer is not to their liking, the buyer is screened out.

michaelp340
9/13/17

Ordered a birthday present at etsy.com, vendor MunchkinsNPumpkinsUK.

Time between order and delivery was 24 days (birthday present, which obviously didn't arrive in time). Vendor aggressively defending herself by pointing to all kind of vague conditions. Customer is stupid. Very customer unfriendly and delivery time of the 19th century. Paid 15 euro deliery cost for a product of 20 euro and had to wait for 24 days (shipping from UK to NL) !? Unreal. Never returning here again. P.S. And now I got reported for review extortion and abuse. Another example how seller is treating customers. Have no words left.... Totally flabbergasted.

jos7845
9/12/17

I am just glad that I have read other reviews before going any further with Etsy as a platform to expand my business and creating that dependency on them.
My experience- I just opened an account with Etsy and messaged some potential clients introducing our Business and the services that we offer.
After sending 5 odd messages Etsy blocked my messenger and restricted me from sending anymore messages. I initially thought it may just be their policy that doesnt allow more than 5 messages per day, hence tried again and the messenger is still blocked. Not sure what is Etsy are so insecure about??
After reading their unprofessional behavior towards other members who have been with them 3-5 yrs, I doubt their customer service will ever bother to address my query and hence I cant be bother either.
They promise to make a Bird fly by giving her wings and then tying off the wings just so that bird can only fly at Etsys will!
They want to dictate everything in your business, whom your business should and shouldnt be introduced and control it. For me personally, its like restricting my progression further.
Thanks to other members for their reviews, you have just saved me lot of time & energy that I could invest elsewhere to expand my business further. Never would never want to work with unprofessional ppl again!

cassiem18
9/11/17

I could seriously spend hours browsing all the cool handmade and vintage items on Etsy. I can't speak from the seller's perspective, but as a buyer, your experience all depends on whether you order from an honest and professional seller. So far, I've only had one bad experience, which involved an unresponsive seller and an undelivered item. I opened a case, and Etsy's customer service gave me a full refund within a week.

scotts287
9/6/17

In my option they use to be a good website to buy from but not anymore. They stared getting scammers on their site and that is bad for business.

jarahs
9/6/17

LOVE this site. Used it for my wedding, for the birth/nursery of my first child, and for gift giving. Never have I been dissatisfied :)

jillw50
9/5/17

Amazing book of Poetry and Prose. Looking forward to the next edition. ##BBF Melody Lee. Her words/thoughts are amazing and inspiring

anno105
9/5/17

Despite all of their BS proclamations to the contrary that they have a process to assist buyers who are ripped off, Etsy has - for years - allowed sellers on their site to lie about what they are selling, rip people off, and if a buyer asks for help, Etsy does NOTHING. If you're going to buy on Etsy, the person you are buying from can send you nothing or send you something completely different, and you will lose your money. In addition, look at their review process closely. No review after a certain amount of time. Can't review if you've filed a complaint. Can't sort reviews. And, I provided Etsy with email exchanges that proved without a doubt that the seller stole $60 from me. Etsy just "closed the case."

sc3537
9/2/17

I signed up via the Australian website. I bought an item from an Australian seller in the app which showed me the purchase was in Australian dollars.long story short I got charged extra.turned out the fabulous UX/UI on the websitr had set my default transaction currency to USD even though the app was showing me everything was in AUD.

Etsy support were crap. They were basically saying it was my fault I didn't know about their stupid default currency setting which is hidden on some obscure tab in the user setup when you go in via the website.

They offered me a gift certificat as I'd that was going to make the additional currency conversion fees and my lack of confidence in the product go away.

Don't do it too yourself. If you want to shop local go local.

mazio
9/1/17

I complained to Etsy about a seller who I believed misrepresented the product he was selling on their platform. Etsy never investigated intead, only stated that the complaint would be put on seller's file. I lost cost of shipping the items back to seller.
Also once items are returned, Etsy website doesn't allow you to review the product. I therefore couldn't warn other unsuspecting buyers about this particular seller.
If you are a buyer please avoid the platform because you wont get that much protection from Etsy.

annem205
8/31/17

People should realize that Etsy as a whole does not speak for the millions of small shops that sell there. Before you place your order you should check the shops reviews and send the seller a quick note to see their response time and business manner.

Quite frankly it's silly to peg Etsy as a whole as fraudulent when each shop is independent of Etsy. Just like eBay or Amazon, it is your responsibility to check out the credentials of a shop before you purchase. If you are unhappy with your purchase simply dispute it with your bank or credit card company if Etsy is not fast enough for you. It's just that simple.

leighb41
8/28/17

Candlebrate is a great little candle shop with these cute little candles for birthday cakes. They have leggo, pac-man, spiderman, star wars, etc. And the prices are crazy low! They also have candles in jars/tins, but if you have a theme birthday party coming up, you should check them out.

tinat20
8/28/17

I was happy with Etsy for a very long time but it went downhill quickly. I sell mainly vintage/estate jewelry and had buyers complain that items took "TWO DAYS to arrive" (nobody offered or PAID for overnight). Many buyers don't read the details or only read them AFTER they have ordered and paid then want to cancel. Etsy blames the seller for this. I also had no problem with giving a refund AFTER IT GET THE ITEM BACK. Etsy will cave to buyers by giving the refund before or INSTEAD of the return - so out the money AND the item. You can only have 3 complaints in 18 months or you are suspended for a month. On number 4 you are closed down forever. I made some nice cash there while it lasted but I could only lose so many items and so much money before we had to part company. I would try it again though if I was able to enforce my terms but I cant afford to give items away free.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v. on 12/12/15
Helpful answer

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q. on 4/29/15
Helpful answer

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G. on 3/3/13
Helpful answer

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O. on 11/14/15
Helpful answer

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S. on 8/4/15
Helpful answer

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M. on 5/28/15
Helpful answer

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V. on 11/2/15
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Etsy