Review of Etsy

Tel: +1.7188557955
press@etsy.com

isaacm55
8/15/17

They deleted items off my shop and sent a snooty email that "you cant cleverly re package items to sell. You can only sell items you made, vintage items, or craft supplies"
Problem: Both items were kits I put together for processing wood and making a camp fire making them craft supplies.
One of the kits had diy tools that I made.
Now they're hipsters from Brooklyn so I don't expect them to know what camp gear is but atleast sit your jegging clad butt down at the computer and study what you're deleting before you alienate the community that is your business.

rachaelr16
8/11/17

Don't expect Etsy to help you as a customer AT ALL. First of all, it is impossible to reach their customer service team. You first need to open a case with the seller and then they GET A WEEK TO RESPOND?! Excuse me? This order was already two weeks late. Then once I finally could escalate the case to Etsy, all they do is CC me on an email to the seller and GIVE THEM ANOTHER WEEK TO RESPOND? I'm not sure who's side Etsy is on, but it sure isn't the customer. Stay away!

susans372
8/10/17

As my title alluded, I'm thankful I looked this up before setting up my handmade jewelry store. The reviews here and on the better business bureau stopped any and all plans to do business with them as a "middle man". Seemed to good to be true, and once you look deeper its a nightmare pit that many fall into innocently.
Thanks to everyone that came forward to warn people like me as well as the buyers.

lisab375
8/8/17

Also here is a link to petition #ENOUGH Etsy

ayesham7
8/7/17

Estay suspended my account and closed my store within 2 days without allowing me to complete my profile or even finish listing. I am completely confused and felt like a criminal.

lic53
8/5/17

etsy deactivated my new opened shop(just 1 day) with no explanation at all, after my unstopping trying and they gave me a ridiculous reply which nothing is true.They so called that being transparent and honest but to look what they did to me. After I provided all the id card and bank information,uploading some items which are exactly respect their selling policy, and they just simply shut down my shop. Ridiculous,rude after all.

frankies24
8/4/17

I wanted to look at vintage craft beads. I selected "beads" > craft supplies & tools >UK >vintage>price lowest first. What came up were buttons, iron pyrite fossils, knitting patterns, beaded purses, cabochons, sea glass, beaded cardigans...in short, a whole load of items that were not beads. I began to add minuses. "beads" -buttons. I pressed Enter and Etsy wiped out my filters and re-set to Anywhere >All Items and Relevency. Long story short, every time I added a minus item Etsy re-set all my filters. When I'd added everything that was not beads, it returned only ONE search result. Which was a bonsai plant made out of wire!
Etsy's search engine is frustrating, ridiculous and archaic. Want to waste hours and send your blood pressure through the roof this is the place to do it.

sharryh
7/31/17

I found the site growing everyday. lots of great buys on vintage clothing. Love Carrie Ann's style sense!! My purchase went through easily and quickly. Thank-you to bowandarrowco!!

rachelp65
7/31/17

This is the same concept as any site. Make sure you check the seller before you buy. I have been buying scrapbooking things from this site and it has nothing but great.

lascam
7/30/17

Bought a t-shirt from sculltamatgear. It was a Johny cash t-shirt. It's been three months and this shop is out of Cleveland Ohio. I emailed twice and was given the run-around. I emailed a third time asking for my money back and no response. I went to find the shop and it's says oops doesn't exist. I won't buy anything off this anymore! Esty should either make it right because trickery and scam artist should be vetted to protect the consumer! It's clear that's not happening here. I won't loose my $$$*" over 30 bucks, but...goodbye Esty!

stephanies80
7/23/17

I purchased an item and it arrived broken. I contacted the seller and she said " Too bad so sad I dont do refunds". I contacted their customer service and they told me theyre just a platform and cant do anything to help me. Since the item was confirmed as delivered it is the sellers discretion to choose to accept refunds. I contacted the seller again and she told me I was harassing her. I left her a bad review and at this point I conacted me credit card company and send them pictures of the broken items, the correspondense from Etsy, and the messages from her. An hour later I get a tirade of messages from the seller telling me she was going to sue me for leaving a bad review.. I forwaded this to my credit card company too. The credit card company very quickly found in my favor and reversed the charges. A few weeks later I logged on to my account to buy something else. A message popped up telling me my account was suspended. I contacted etsy and was told that my account was suspended because I went over their heads. They saidby contacting my credit card company I violated their terms of service.

Moral of the story- if a company tells you you cant use the protections offered to you by your credit card company they are shady. Steer clear of etsy.

jasons298
7/22/17

Absolutely the worst Customer service experience of my life!! I purchased a wreath from Dee's Custom Wreath for $68 including shipping. I put up the wreath at my front door which has a storm door. After a few weeks I noticed that the wreath has faded tremendously! I sent Dee's Custom Wreath and email and they stated that since it was in the sun they can not do anything for me!! Not a refund, replacement, 20% off next purchase, NOTHING!!! She stated they do not offer any refunds at all!! So I contacted Etsy thinking they are a pretty big company, they got to help right???? WRONG!!! I followed the procedure and within a week Etsy contacted me and stated that it's up the seller discretion and it's a used product and they can not return used products. Really? Your kidding me right? I got to be dreaming? Nope, I spoke to the manger she repeatedly stated that Etsy will not take back any product that is used! so I guess 2-3 weeks is considered used to Etsy? So pretty much I threw $68 down the drain! So let me get this straight I bought a wreath that lasted less then 3 weeks and I can't return it, exchange it, or get anything back for it? Please whatever you do, DONOT order from Etsy or Dee's Costume Wreath

loric102
7/21/17

Love it but sometimes it seems difficult to use the purchasing and selling portion. I wish there were more clear guidelines.

bonniew54
7/21/17

Half of the goods for sale on Etsy are not homemade - unless you define homemade as made in a factory in China. So many of their items can be found in discount stores and even Chinatwon that you are wasting our time if you want qualify goods that are homemade. I suggest people stay away from shopping on Etsy until they don't lie about their policy of requring Sellers to sell items they design or make.

jennie176
7/19/17

This site has gone past the dogs and straight into the sewers. I was on it for over a year, made my payments on time and sold original merchandise that people enjoyed. Then, a Domo plush I made for myself got mixed in by accident and boom, account is gone. There's no customer service number so you're forced to wait for automated emails that may or may not have been sent from a real person, and there's no way to speak to ANYONE from their company about issues you could be entirely innocent of. You could be selling the most original artwork ever conceived and they'll still find a way to suspend you. Not worth it, guys. Avoid etsy like the plague. Go to BigCartel, Storeenvy, eBay, Amazon, whatever, just stay away from etsy.

sauleg
7/19/17

Etsy may seem like a frank and cozy place, heaven for small business, not that 'mean, big corporation' other platforms may look like. This is not true. I thought I found the most perfect place to sell. Until one day without any communication, explanation, we got kicked off. We were not re-selling, we disclosed all possible details about ourselves, we were making everything ourselves. One day theg just susoended our shop, instead os responses sending emails with vague generic rule statements. Saying we lied about our business, our listings do not qualify and etc. We asked for a detailed information, explanation and ways to fix it
They kept syaing we are suspended and unwelcomed. After one week of desperate e-mails (shop suspended, money frozen, everything is gone. 2 years of work, hundreds of hours of our time, energy. Literally, thousands of $) one nice member of Integrity team (some of them are rude,arrogant and very bot-like. Or even psycjopath like) explained that there was overlapping information between several accounts therefore they banned everyone. We had one store. My partner (not a store member) had personal account for shopping. Her brother had one. We all live in the same flat and share workspace/studio. It was enough to believe we are sort of criminals. They banned people for living together, shopping on etsy. Us for being a successful seller. Not returning the money we paid for now deactivated listings.

This company has no respect for its customers, it does not value our work. It is not sweet, bubbly and cozy. It is abusive, harrassing company. If you are selling there-sell on other platforms,as well to avoid being deleted and left without any income. If you are buying there- look for contacts of shop you like and order directly! Save your money and save money that sellers pay on fees to that horrible machine!

muenim
7/17/17

I ordered for a kitenge dress and paid for it. After five weeks and several reminders someone send a message apologizing for the delay, allegedly they were in hospital. She Asked me to send my measurements which I did. Three months down the line my money gone and esty maintains very loud silence.

vincenta49
7/15/17

I have always had better sales on Etsy than Ebay but recent changes to their application and slow responses and outages my sales have dropped to almost ZERO

carminaz
7/14/17

Etsy is just a web of commercial transactions, it is not a business model that contemplates the mutual benefit between sellers and customers.
Local sellers with international clients are not responsible for the product arriving or arriving in good condition at the hands of the customer as it happens with websites like Amazon or the websites of other department stores.

The system to resolve commercial disputes, when the product did not arrive or returned to the seller, is a very simple system where Etsy asks the seller to send a proof that the parcel was delivered to the post office. If this is so, Etsy closes the case and points out that the postal services are responsible for the loss of the product, urging the parties to agree without arbitration.
A seller who wants to access international customers and for that purpose must generate shipments through third-party services, he must understand that his responsibility for the product does not end in the same way as a local purchase, that is, it does not end as soon as it crosses the door Of your store.
Etsy is only a web that allows a transaction model, does not generate a real platform that allows to expand the confidence and guarantee between those who use that means of buying and selling.
One more story of e-commerce that will end up degrading itself.

amandap128
7/14/17

Ordering from this company is the worst decision you can make in life. . Horrible customer service. Misleading website. I was told that they are a small company and pretty much 2 bad that I didn't get what I ordered. No contact number. If you ordered anything coming from the warehouse and tried calling the number they gave you it just goes to a voicemail that is always full. Katie was able to get my order shipped the next day. (Katie I'm sorry for posting your phone number for everyone to call, but it did get the attention I was looking for) Katie was very nice to me on the phone and that is why I chose to take down her phone number, not because you refunded me $4 smh!! Please do not waste your time emailing because they are rude!! It took me 2 months to find a number to call. I WILL NEVER IN LIFE ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!!!

ll579
7/8/17

I sell self-made wigs.

People have no manners here.
I get messages to take pictures with the wig on, measure this, that, do this, that etc. And in the end, they just disappear. They don't even say "thanks, but it's not what i want / i gave it a second thought and i won't buy" or something like that. I waste my time for them and they just disappear without a word.
Now i don't reply to anyone, only to actual paying customers.

It's full of window shoppers. I have at least 40 likes on most of my items, but no purchases.
If i sell an item, there is always at least one person who sends me death threats, calls me fake, scammer or something. These come from people who have not purchased anything from me, never talked to me or anything. They have the sold item in their favourites, so i assume they are angry because i sold it. (why the f did they not buy it if they wanted it lol)
I make only 1 of everything, i'm not a big manufacturer.

liliiak
7/1/17

I just recently ordered from that horrible company bag. The bag is missing and they just looks like trying to assist me , but not really. Big time liers, dishonest people I dont know they running the business. Never ever order anything from them, even if u think anything happen to your order. Dont become the victim of their scam products . There is not phone number who to contact , the phone number provided is not accepting incoming calls, there is no alive person to talk with. Sellers never call u back even u leave phone number name and described the issue. be smart and never deal with that company. SUCKS..... Their sellers writing long boring stories and a lot of unnecessary information and pretending they help u. Who needs sorry? when the item u ordered is missing and they in their turn sending the items cheapest way instead to make sign for item , Now both headache for them and me.Again I care less about their unfavorable business, I care for myself and other consumers.....

bryonm11
6/30/17

I've always done good on Etsy once I identified with a product that buyers wanted. I would average 2 to 5 sales a day. Maybe 100 to 150 views a day on average. Then they went public, started making changes. Next thing you know there are a bunch of the chinese sellers from ebay selling their garbage on etsy. They come in mass, they get preferential placement in search results. This has effected my ability to sell in the following ways. Now on average I get 20 views or less a day and it is getting worse with each passing day. As of now at 9 am on 6/30 I have 0 views on Etsy which is beyond unusual. A lot of these reviews are people that got suspended for one reason or another, this review is because they made changes that hurts small businesses in favor of low cost mass produced bull$#*! from a nation that pays no respect to Copyright laws. It's what happened to ebay but it's like Etsy got in a star ship and got to the bad part at warp speed. This is what is more than apparent. All companys turn to $#*! as soon as they go public because they are then using other peoples money so they have to show a return on every quarter no matter what. Start your own websites, don't waste money on facebook boosts because they only return vanity metrics, learn about SEO and exploit all other venues until they go public then abandon them because they'll turn to $#*! anyway. Don't get to upset at these companies, they're just chasing the money just like we are doing. I know I'm not selling to feel good about myself, I sell to make money like everyone else here.

glennym1
6/30/17

My wife has a store on there that they shutdown. So because it was same ip address they shut mine down too. They shut my store down with out any warning or notice it was shutdown,. Then refused to give me my money from my sales. I shipped the items and customers received the items with out any companient. So basically they stole 376 dollars on me. If you trying to start a business this is not the place.

lindab269
6/24/17

I have used Esty to make purchases on occasion. I have always felt the company showed no interest in customer satisfaction but now they are involved in defrauding customers. CoyoteRainbow seller deals in healing stones. They are selling fake Moldivite stones that are very expensive $30 to $100 a piece. I contacted Esty about the fraud and have yet to hear from them a month later. I will be giving a review w/ Consumer Affairs next and so on. Esty has 700 plus reviews here and a rating of 2/5. I am grateful to Sitejabber and others for this venue.

556 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v. on 12/12/15
Helpful answer

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q. on 4/29/15
Helpful answer

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G. on 3/3/13
Helpful answer

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O. on 11/14/15
Helpful answer

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S. on 8/4/15
Helpful answer

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M. on 5/28/15
Helpful answer

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V. on 11/2/15
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Etsy