Review of Etsy

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

crystalb71
4/25/17

I love this site. And I love the idea of purchasing from the little guy, instead of a corporation. Some very talented sellers!

debbiec106
4/23/17

They sent my purchase to someone else is what they told me. So I'm having to wait till that customer decides to send it to me. What ever!!! Etsy should have sent out my purchase again but to me this time. I've emailed over and over Still havnt received anything Or my money back. Who is running this place. A bunch of kids???

brucej40
4/22/17

Received my first order of treats from Katrina's Barkery, my Samantha really loved them. Will be ordering more.

carolm192
4/21/17

Googled glass clocks on Etsy and found the product I wanted. The artist / maker is well worth a look Craig is passionate about his work and it is truly beautiful .My clock arrived quickly and beautifully packed -- and not far from where I live.This site is well worth a look

michaelw337
4/18/17

I purchased several items for my upcoming wedding from this site. Loved all of them. They arrived as described in a timely manner. Would recommend!

melissas118
4/18/17

I ordered something paid for it and didn't recieve it....ETsy said too bad nothing they can do..... So you are screwed if you order something from this site. They can take your $ and you not recieve anything. DO NOT USE ETSY!!!!

oliviad20
4/14/17

I had a shop since 2012. I was paying them over $350 in selling/listing fees & an additional $350+ in payment processing fees PER MONTH...
They closed my shop - REFUSE to listen or help in any way. VERY generic email replies when i do get one.
They WILL NOT even reply to my emails & they STILL have $$ in my payment account that they refuse to release to me. However, they still want me to fulfill my orders & ship them out at my own expense & i have to hope that they release the funds to me.
Not sure what to do... because etsy HAS the money & not me. At this point I don't care about the reviews.... I want the $$ for the sales so I can complete & ship the items or the buyers will be assed out till etsy decides what they're going to do. Its not fair to ME or the BUYER, but I don't have the $$$$- Esty does.

hellolittlejoysi
4/12/17

I ordered from Hello Little Joys/Little Joys via Gmail in February 2014. In particular, the sushi hair clip trio sit and bandana bib trio set. When I received my items they smelled of cigarette smoke. The hair clips fell apart immediately and the bandana bib had a Chinese tag on it. Come to find out that this individual is an infamous scam artist who purchases her items from Aliexpress and resells them for more. I found it sketchy how this person doesn't list their full name or address. Come to find out it's because she's well known for being an insane thief and hides her name because of this. Beware!

#hellolittlejoys #littlejoys

soupyk1
4/12/17

Presently closing 3 accounts once unsold listings expire. Customer service is basically non-existent - and a public company to boot! Does not listen to suggestions by professional sellers and is constantly changing search functions to the detriment of its members. As bad as fleabay is, it is still a better option to spend a few cent more for results.

lisaa160
4/9/17

Etsy sucks for both sellers and buyers! As a seller; I complained I was being harassed by a man & Etsy suspended all 4 of my shops! 8 years on this site, sticking it out with all their bogus changes, no sales. As a buyer;forget it if you have a problem, they do NOTHING, you have to call your bank to get your money back.
They allow scammers & said there's no way for them to remove these people! Really eBay will remove a fraudulent buyer in a flash.
They play favorites to their sellers, they have be the perfect stay at home housewife, that has nothing to do other than cook, clean,organize the house & make arts and crafts projects! That's their ideal seller & main target for buyer, yeah right, it's 2017.
Vintage site! Where, 95% is new! made in China junk. Retailer jewelers are allowed & they have links to their websites, gee none of them frauds are suspended.
The search system never works, the employees are clueless, their own editors pick items new from Walmart for 99 cents & promote them as vintage..
Real dealers, antique sellers & buyers laugh at this site.. It's filled with crap!
At this rate, their system is overloaded with complains, cases, etc. Doubt they'll be in business long..

daver125
4/8/17

SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS, ENTREPRENEURS, AND ANYONE THINKING ABOUT SELLING ON ETSY- DO NOT PUT ANY TRUST IN THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE A TERRIBLE PLATFORM.
-They are extremely lazy as a company.
-They will nickel and dime you with their bogus smoke in mirror ETSY PATTERN which is a complete slide of hand service.

Poor operation would be a compliment. Don't let them take advantage of you. I went to Shopify!

Tip for consumers: Go to Shopify or WIX. Etsy will be out of business soon as their extensions and apps are outdated, overpriced, and extremely limited.

deborahs110
4/8/17

I am an Etsy shop owner. I actually have two shops one is five years old one is just a year old. I recently had my five-year-old shop hacked and contacted Etsy immediately for help. They responded by suspending both my shops stating it was for my protection. I strongly believe it was for their protection not my own. I am a single mom of two daughters and my Etsy shops are my main source of income to take care of my family. I have made numerous attempts to contact someone at Etsy for help and support to no avail. The company that preaches and teaches to us shop owners on the importance of great customer service has proven to practice just the opposite. I am angry and disappointed; among other feelings I am heartbroken. Etsy had given me the opportunity for a life I truly enjoyed and now, in my opinion, has taken it all away at the click of a mouse. The hacker started the process but Etsy has done the unrepairable damage.

madb6
4/7/17

I WROTE A CHECK AS ETSY LETS AND ALLOWS PEOPLE TO WRITE CHECKS AND MAILED IT THIS WAS OCTOBER 2016 AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BABY IN 8 WEEKS WELL IT IS NOW APRIL AND STILL NOTHING LIKE REALLY??!! ETSY SAY THEY CANT DO $#*!, MY BANK WONT DO $#*!, AND THE COURTS SAY SINCE IT WAS ONLINE THEY CANT DO $#*! SO I GUESS IM GONNA HAVE TO MAKE A 13 HOUR TRIP TO BEAT THE HELL OUT THIS LADY AND MAKE SURE ITS WOTH THE MONEY I SPENT ON BABY AND MAKE SURE ITS WORTH MY DRIVE ALL WAY DOWN THEY BECAUSE THIS $#*! WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH STEALING FROM MY ASS!!!!!! STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AND YOU CAN NOT CALL ETSY THEY HAVE A NUMBER BUT IT TELLS YOU TO EMAIL BASICALLY AND HANGS UP LMAO SO I HAVE TO WAIT WEEKS FOR THEM TO RESPOND AND HEAR THEM SAY WE CANT HELP SORRY!!! LIKE $#*! U I WILL HELP MYSELF TO HER DAMN DOOR

karinh12
4/7/17

ATTENTION CONSUMERS!!! Use another trusted site. There is absolutely NO buyer protection. First purchase a few months ago went smoothly. I didn't like the item (t-shirt) because of the quality. But, I just decided it would be a hassle to ship it back. Second, and LAST time was a few weeks ago. Different "company." But, again for another T-shirt. I placed my order and 8 DAYS later, they convo me that it's out of stock and will be delivered in another WEEK! By the time it gets to me, it will for sure have passed the date I needed it. But, I figure I could use it for another event. I receive the package and now I'm pissed off.I specifically asked if it was going to be a certain color or atleast close to it. It's not. I'm baffled and even googled the color. Fast forward, I'm 100% not satisfied. The transaction, the quality (looks like something you can get at Charlotte Russe. But, for a cheaper price tag!), the fit (unflattering). I ask for a refund. Denied. But, she does offer to trade in for another shirt. Of course, after paying for shipping AGAIN, this shirt that I'm trading in will cost me $35+. SO not worth it. But that's not the point. I don't want any of the products. I just want my money back. Contacted Etsy and same lame answer as other people on here. No BUYER PROTECTION! Cancelled my acct. Going back to Macy's, Amazon, eBay etc. This is your last warning before you buy anything on Etsy! Just DON'T! Especially from HappyHeadTees. Learned my lesson. Never doing business with Etsy again. I have just bought myself a $27.58 rag for my car.

shannona29
4/6/17

This site is a dream for people whom love handmade. I am disappointed that they now allow non handmade items.

ameliar15
4/6/17

I ordered a hat on Etsy.com - MadHatCattery 718-8557955 NY. My credit card was charged a couple months ago, but never received the product. I checked online and it never shipped. And guess what??? This seller is no longer on Etsy. And no way to contact Etsy to let them know. Very disappointing!

judym108
4/5/17

I am a big fan of Etsy! They offer a huge variety of products. All of the items I have ordered from Etsy have outstanding. Everything was just as advertised and everything has been excellent! I am planning several other orders very soon!

timw110
4/2/17

Etsy really sucks!! They can shut you down for no reason. Don't rely on this company for your income. Customer service sucks with their automated responses. DO NOT USE ETSY!!!!!!

ashleya90
3/31/17

Paying over $30 for an item and not receiving is exactly what happened for me. I contacted the seller who basically said sorry for you and Etsy saying well that problem is between you and the seller is exactly that, disgusting. I wish I would have known how terrible this experience would have been because I would have just went to amazon.

gregorym40
3/30/17

I was nervous about purchasing jewelry on Etsy but my wife wanted a nature-inspired ring for our marraige renewal and our research kept bringing us back to Etsy and Segal Jewelry. The online display of his jewels looked really nice but we weren't sure if it would be as nice in person. It was far nicer in person! It is solid yet delicate, intense yet subtle. It is so unique and so special...my wife is over the moon! And to boot, it was supposed to take 4 weeks but arrived in 2. During the 2 week waiting period, the jeweler stayed in touch wth us, inquiring about our story. Through our communications, we shared that we planned to renew our vows so that our kids (6 & 9 years old) could be with us. When the ring arrived, the package included a highly personalized letter about love and how touched the jeweler was by our story and plan to include our children. My wife was touched at how personalized the entire experience had been and she says she feels that the ring was made with Segal's love. Thank you, Yaniv Segal!
#happywifehappylife

arianev
3/29/17

300/5000
I ordered a tank top on etsy and I never received it. The merchant did not want to refund me and etsy site did not intervene. They are not real merchants. They proceed illegally. It is very strange that the site has not yet been reported to the police. They're thieves.

saraw69
3/27/17

The seller is unprofessional, check out all items before you purchase anything and make sure items advertised are genuine

victorg44
3/26/17

I'm trying to start a business. It doesn't let me. also i gave etsy my credit card number, 2 days later somebody from etsy hacked into my account!!!!!!!!1

alexandram30
3/19/17

I started out as a buyer in 2011 and I really enjoyed the fact that I could find a lot of handmade items and vintage as well. I bought into the idea of helping out small businesses, even though the stuff was a little more expensive most of the shops were great.

Over the last couple of years or so most of the wonderful shops have been leaving because there are copyright infringing shops, shop owners that aren't held accountable for awful transactions, and a bunch of non-handmade items being sold as handmade. There's even been a class action lawsuit because of the shaky or lack of business practices.

Last year I decided to test out being a seller there. The top there complaints in the forums EVERY month are usually: 1.) copyright infringing-either someone gets caught or people try to look for ways around it. 2.) no customer/seller protection when there is a problem, dispute, or confusion with orders. Etsy depends on other shop owners in the forums to answer questions for people, but since they don't know anything about another shops orders then it makes no sense and no real customer service. 3.) People stating they don't like interacting with customers-these shops are a continuing problem and they let it be known.

As a seller you can work hard on your shop and others will copy everything you do. Your SEO, products, designs, and anything and everything will be copied. You can work all day and night on your shop and within a day or two get ripped off of the hard work you've put in because lazy shop owners will go around and see all your info since SEO isn't hidden. Etsy wants you to compete with other shops because you're going to do more free work on bringing more traffic to Etsy and not your singular shop.

Shops are lumped in together. The ranking on each page is random (which item/shop appears first when you search) so you can have the best customer service and someone that might not take care of their shop or has a bad ranking can be first page and you might be lost in the back pages. Some shops pad their ratings/reviews any way.

If you manage to get past all of that, and you're a great seller don't sell too much because Etsy takes out fees to restock, transaction fees, etc. Doesn't sound like much but if you sell a lot then it can add up to being more than having a stand alone monthly website fee.

Most of the handmade shops are getting the short end of the stick and that's why a lot of them have left. They can't compete with the cheap manufactured crap that is being sold there. A lot of the items there you can find on Ebay for pennies. Reporting these shops can go overlooked. A lot of shops have then turned to selling the cheap manufactured stuff and/or copyrighted materials. Which Etsy looks the other way on, but the copyright owner catches wind of it the shop owner looses everything.

Etsy acts like and says they don't tolerate it but they say only copyright holders can get people to take down the copied/infringing/non-handmade work. That invites people to steal, copy, and sell things that are not handmade. That's so backwards!!!! It's very much like saying,"don't do it....but we'll look the other way while you do."

If a shop owner is caught doing these things Esty says they'll close the shop. Depending on how the person handling the investigation is feeling is more than likely what will happen. Some shops have stayed open and some are closed. Some shops that have been only accused of wrong doing have been closed without a full investigation. So you can be closed on speculation alone.

Ebay has at least taken steps to improve the site and it's not fully perfect, but at least they're trying to make it better. At Etsy, you can sell culturally inappropriate and fake cultural crafts to some degree. (Black Mammy dolls, fake Native American crafts, costume jewelry as real), they say it's vintage. But, you can't sell German ww2 stuff, old rebel flags..that falls into vintage too.

Seems like the awful stores that used to be on Ebay got kicked out or moved to Etsy.

As a buyer, you have to be very careful now and shop around before making any purchases there. Don't get jerked around if a shop owner says that they'll mail it out and they don't give you a tracking number in the time they have listed in their shop. Hold their feet to the fire and if they don't talk to your credit card/Paypal company!

I've seen these shops come and go, a lot of these people only do this for extra income so it's not their main priority. Stick with the shops you've done research on. I'm down to one shop that I buy from because the shop owner only sells there. I've been a customer for years. If it wasn't for that one shop, I'd would have been gone years ago.

I chose to leave as a seller a few months ago. I usually tried to be proactive in the forums to help people. One day I came across a forum post where someone asked about how sellers felt about negative reviews Etsy has if you do a Google search.

A few smug sellers responded that "customers were just looking for their 15 minutes of fame or only shining a spotlight on the negative". Since customers do share their favorite products on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and take the time to leave reviews....even if they aren't 5 stars, I felt that was a slap in the face since some buyers are also customers and these are the EXACT issues that need to be addressed. These customers have given their money and some haven't even been given their items or get horrible customer service and that's beyond stupid to write that! Must be the Etsy gang that wrote it.

Yes, there is an Etsy gang! They're seasoned sellers that talk down to new sellers, sometimes bully in the forums or private messages, and treat people that ask questions about their products like trash. (If a person doesn't immediately buy their stuff, they won't respond with answers).

I see them in the forums all the time claiming they created putting certain color combinations together or anyone that has a similar description or item must be stealing from them. Don't get me wrong, people do steal stuff...I'm talking more of a coincidence, like if you put something red and yellow together you aren't the inventor of it. These sellers are awful, I don't care how long they've been there.

The average seller makes about $100-$150 a month if you work at it everyday and put in well over 8-12 hours a day. I have seen fake shop accounts in the forums every few months (some of the avatars I remember seeing months earlier) that boast how well their doing for the month. Then, when you go and check their shop it shows they haven't sold anything in months. How can that be if they're doing so well for the month? I suspect favoritism or just the fact that it's an illusion to keep shops going and working for free advertising for Etsy.

Does $150 (if that) a month sound like you're getting a fair return if you work consistently every day? All the back tracking for your products leads to Etsy and they mask it as an opportunity, but really they cheat buyers and sellers.

Granted not every shop owner is terrible, but lately the bad ones seem to be overtaking the site. I'm not a jaded person because I feel should have sold more so I'm out to shake my fist at everything Etsy related. I'm grateful for the experience, but use caution if you do shop there.

Tip for consumers: If you buy anything there always use Paypal since they give you 60 days to file a complaint if you have problems with the order.

Don't ever open up a shop there, you'll be wasting so much time.

alexa1888
3/18/17

This is probably my favorite place to purchase interesting things on the net. There are lots of great home made items, vintage items sold by excellent sellers.

556 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

73 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Etsy staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question