US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

dissatisfiedc8
9/23/16

So many creative shops and nice sellers

angiep21
9/22/16

Etsy allows big sellers to break the rules. I've reported many shops that claim handmade when items are not handmade. I've included links to the exact items to Etsy and shops aren't being shut down. These sellers are also using the stock photos of where they purchased their items.
Some of these shops have over 3000 sales, which explains why Etsy hasn't shut them down!
Those "leather" wrap bracelets you see all over Etsy, I bet 1 out of 100 shops actually handcraft them. Otherwise, you can purchase them from China for as low as 99 cents each and they aren't even worth that. I had someone send one as a gift to me a couple years back and it was a piece of crap!

dvorahc
9/21/16

I ordered 5 dresses from Sara Sims, Vintage Opulence for my wedding. I based each design off of dresses that she and previously made with some changes in color and length. I sent her detailed measurements, heights of wedding party and colors and styles they wanted. I had to have her re-dye and change 4 of the dresses as she seemed to be having trouble following directions. She only delivered one dress that was what I asked for but still looked a bit plainer than her original design.
She sent the 5 dresses stuffed into a box the size of a phone book. The dresses were very wrinkled and I had to pay $9.00 in additional postage. They did not look like the dress designs she had posted. The green was way darker than the example I sent her, the burgundy was lighter than her design. Only one was the correct size and color. All were incorrect length.
I ordered the following:

Tiel Green size 4              -I received dark green size 10
Burgundy size 12             -Color okay size 4/6
Aqua size 14                    -Color fine, size 4/6
Purple size 12                  -Plainer than design but okay
Wedding dress size 14      -Size correct underlining of dress a complete disaster
After many emails she offered to make the dresses that were too small again but after seeing her horrible workmanship or lack of: holes in all 4 dresses, lace sewn haphazardly onto dress connecting wherever, crookedly instead of sewn into seams.
Seams not finished. All stitching very crooked. Loose threads, rotting material that frayed and came unraveled. My wedding dress was so crooked that one side of the skirt went up under the overlaying lace while the other side hung way down making the dress look like a drunk cupcake. When I tugged at the underskirt it frayed and came almost completely unsewn. I have pictures.
Sara took no responsibility for her terrible work or making the dresses the wrong sizes. I sent her pictures of all the holes and crooked lace, etc. I sent two dresses back before the wedding and sending a third back because the dressmaker told me it would cost more money to fix the green dress that was too big than to go buy a new one. We had to buy 3 new dresses plus buy a new under dress to wear under the wedding dress she made, after I took out all the lining and skirt.
I was so surprised she made them so quickly. I chose her because I like her designs and that she takes old lace and slips, etc., to make new dresses. The problem is she does not know how to sew. She tacks her dresses together so they look beautiful on line but in real life they look like a drunk made them. The worst part is she does not care that she is a bad seamstress and takes no responsibility and no refunds. If a mechanic messes up my car and three of my neighbors cars, I am not going to trust him to re-fix the problem on my car. That is how I felt about her making me new dresses.
I asked her for 50% refund. I thought I was being rather generous. No word from her since August 5th. I got married on August 27th. My last communication with her was on August 18th when I let her know I send her 2 dresses back and wanted 50% refund or my husband would contact his credit card company and ask for a full refund.
My husband went on line to find complaints and they were very hard to find but they were there and were comparable to mine.
In my correspondence with her before I paid she was very polite and accommodating, supposedly doing what I asked but in reality she did what she wanted, and did it poorly. At one point I asked he if we could talk on the phone because it seemed she was not understanding me. No comment.
She is messing with peoples special occasions and that is not okay. Everything about my wedding worked out wonderfully except her and the dresses.

mntnm
9/19/16

I realize the site has lots of sellers. Some are good and some are bad. I had a problem with a bad seller. He sent me the wrong item, apologized and said he would send me the correct item when I sent him back the one he wrongly sent to me. He also told me something about the item I thought I had purchased that was NOT in the description, namely that the item had a crack in it (a vintage item). He had another item for sale that mentioned a crack but this one did not. I told him that I did not want it anymore and I would prefer a refund. I send back the item and demand that he pay me for the return shipping. He says he will send it to me. I open a case on Etsy. Etsy tells him to refund me the return shipping and that he won't be able to use the Etsy payment system and to find alternative means to refund me. They tell him to refund me the return shipping within one work or Etsy will refund me on his behalf and suspend his shop. This is what Etsy posted in the case log. Several weeks go by and I receive nothing. Etsy Admin asks us both for an update. I respond saying I am still waiting for the refund. Nothing from the seller. Then, without any warning Etsy Admin closes the case saying the seller refunded the money. WRONG. Etsy does not support buyers. And judging by the long list of forum posts by sellers, the entire site doesn't work well at all. I will never visit that site to buy anything ever again. I will only go there to post about how Etsy Sucks.

bobj21
9/17/16

Etsy is a solid site that has been around since about 2005. The site itself is clean, navigable, and easy to use. Several of the reviews here on SJ have been about specific sellers - that's not what this review is about.

Like several other online sales sites - each vendor/store is a separate transaction. You are dealing with a different person each time. Look at the star ratings of each store before you buy and leave feedback. Most sellers will want to protect their reviews and ratings and provide you with great service.

This site is heavily craft specific and has a niche following. If you make handmade items you probably already know about it and/or use it.

REASONS TO USE

[1] You are unable to understand star rating systems
[2] You are a compulsive buyer who does no research before you purchase

ajf7
9/12/16

If you know what you're looking for in Vintage & what you expect to pay, you'll do well. Especially if you're looking for something rare. Sellers are for the most part (85-90%) very fast to reply to ANY question. I also limit my Searches to US or closer to not get killed on shipping. But if it's an item made anywhere but the US, I have bought from the UK and paid very little for the item (a 19th C. Russian icon); even with Shipping higher than the actual item, it was well worth it!

If you are looking for handmade or organic makeup, you will find tons of amazing Shops and Sellers who care for the environment.

Etsy is an extraordinary, iconoclastic business model. And that reflects from the top down.

I have amazing votives made by OldSoulArtisan which burn perfectly and of the finest materials. If you want to flex your entrepreneurial muscles, this is a good place to start experimenting with branding, logo design, SEO, etc.

Etsy's Search has a lot to be desired so being very specific in the name of your listing is vital. A search for "Cotton boho maxis" is only good if the Seller uses all three words. Your Search will pull cotton, then boho, then maxi until you have to scroll through 20,000 items to find what you're looking for and read the Details bc a maxi may be rayon.

Because Etsy's commission is much lower than eBay and they don't nickel and dime you all the way as eBay does (more so with each Update of the User Agreement), I'm considering opening a shop there in 2017 but I need to get my ducks in a row to post pics on Pinterest to increase traffic, etc. so I need to make a serious step-by-step plan.

sumad
9/8/16

I have just had a very bad experience with an Etsy seller. First let me say that I really hate having to write anything of a negative review however when it is warranted I will do so. That said I have been a shopper on Etsy for years and have had pretty great exchanges with the many sellers that I have shopped with. Some of them have been absolutely magical! This one has been more like a slow train ride through hell! I placed an order on August 22,2016 for two necklaces and one pair of earrings. Nothing crazy or even custom made items. The beaded necklace was comprised of ready made beads and one simple "crafty" style pendant with college logos. The other necklace was a ready made pendant on a chain and the earrings also ready made items. This should have been a really quick simple order to fill and ship. But that's not the case! The shop said it needed 5 to 10 days to fill orders... Okay? Then we add in shipping time. I only live a few hours away from the sellers location so shipping should be a breeze! Nope! Trying to communicate with the seller was less than great with only unhelpful robotic responses when she felt like replying! I did actually get a shipping confirmation which was useless because the tracking info stated a label had been created but no item had been shipped?? I tried to find out what was going on and the seller told me she would look into it with the postal service and meanwhile she would reship the items I had ordered. Still waiting...3-4 days later no new shipping confirmation and no explanation as to where the first shipment is?? So today( Sept 8. 2016) I get a convo message stating that I will be getting a refund and that the seller could not fill my order because she doesn't have the earrings I paid for!?! Seriously! So the seller as good as promised this order would be(re) shipped she said she would reship and didn't know that she didn't have one of the items BEFORE telling me that? I feel very jerked around by this seller. I am sad and so disappointed in this whole experience. I'm not sure if it's an issue of being under stocked on listed items or being disorganized and having poor communication skills. Perhaps a lack of business acumen and not understanding that it's NOT about the sale IT"S ABOUT THE CUSTOMER! It doesn't matter if you please the easy people. They will come and go. It's about pleasing the hard people. They will often times become the most loyal CUSTOMERS not just an easy one time sale! This seller has certainly lost my sale and any future business or referral I may have made in future. Really, she could have offered me the items that were ready and explained the delay on the beaded piece and I would have been ok waiting on that.( At least I would have gotten something!). She could have offered to send the necklaces and explained she was out of earrings offered me a coupon or something on the re-ship items. So many simple ways to resolve this and keep the sale and maybe the future CUSTOMER! I will tread carefully from here on when shopping at Etsy and I would advise the same to others as well. Sorry..... SassyGirlsX3 you blew it! BTW: Etsy if you're reading this think about offering some business education to sellers with less experience so maybe shoppers could have a more smooth experience across your platform offerings.

PS: So had another look at the email sent by the seller and it appears that I should be getting the two necklaces but not the earrings. A refund for those should be coming. So far everything this seller has said about shipping has been inacurate and dodgy all the same. Even if I do get the necklaces it will be uncomfortable wearing them. If I happen to dislike them forget about returning anything because frankly I've had enough of this drama... Good Luck if you choose to shop there folks!

aliciab36
8/23/16

All the details written by Ethnocity about the the "SO CALLED" yoga necklaces and malas are of no use. All the healing details written in each of the products is FAKE. OVERPRICED items with no healing properties and just trying to fool customers. Ethnocity is fake.

milr2
8/22/16

Are employees/staff have the right to open a store at ETSY. Had heard some rumors that some employees have their stores, stealing ideas and design and eliminate others vendors that compete with them. Of course they have the power to shut down ur store or give u hard time so you will quit.

lm92
8/17/16

Pay no attention to what the listing says. They will take your money and when they get around to it, will send what you paid for. They have use of your money and you have no product. NEVER AGAIN!!! Then when you request to cancel the order they are insulted and rude. Really...........they get to be rude? It is the worst experience I've ever had. It was only $150 but they had my money and I didn't have anything. Buy somewhere else.

dythama
8/5/16

My husband bought me a ring and earrings from a handmade jewellery company in Israel, the site photos and description are nothing like the items we received and to return them will cost £30. The quality is poor and very cheap, will definitely not use this site again

casc9
7/31/16

Buyer beware! Etsy and its Application are a total ripoff!
I purchased items with this app. They were sent to the wrong address. Per Etsy your items are automatically sent to the address that you have used the most. Not your most current address. My order was almost $100, currently doing a claim against Etsy with my bank as Etsy said this is policy and they have done nothing to recover my order or refund my money. Poorly written application. Or was it they did make a $100 off me by hiding behind the small print. Shop elsewhere there are companies out there with smarter apps.

billiep10
7/30/16

I accidentally found this website while browsing the Internet. I wish I would have found this review page before ordering from it. The site is quick to collect payment, but impossible to guarantee product. I ordered two pieces from the site. The vendor had one excuse after the next. First excuse. She copied my address incorrectly. Second excuse family emergency. I am awaiting the third excuse, so stay tuned. I am not sure if the vendor understand shipping a package takes little time and effort. I am trying to maintain a positive correspondence with the vendor, because she now has my money. I will be filing a formal complaint with the BBB once I receive the merchandise. I will never order from the site again nor would I recommend anyone else to. I truly believe it's a scam. I just hate I fail for the scam.

veronicab28
7/29/16

I was uncertain about purchasing body jewelry on etsy until I shopped BeltaneMoon. I am more than amazed at the quality, communication and prices at Beltane Moon. The shop owner goes by "Steel" and is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and pretty funny, too!

destinyd5
7/28/16

Terrible!!! If I could give one star I would. Double charging customers!! It's been like this for so long and they know it's happening yet they keep doing it

chinam7
7/25/16

IMPORTANT: "YOU ARE NOT BUYING DIRECTLY FROM ETSY, BUT FROM ONE OF THE MANY TALENTED SELLERS ON ETSY;
ETSY DOES NOT PRE-SCREEN SELLERS AND THEREFORE DOES NOT GUARANTEE OR ENDORSE ANY ITEMS SOLD ON ETSY OR ANY CONTENT POSTED BY SELLERS (SUCH AS PHOTOGRAPHS OR LANGUAGE USED IN LISTINGS OR SHOP POLICIES); CAMILLE, ETSY INC.
SO
DO NOT BY FROM ANY ETSY SELLER WHO WILL NOT GIVE RETURNS BEFORE THOROUGHLY CHECKING THEM OUT!
DO NOT BUY FROM SELLERS OUT OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES WHO REFUSE TO GIVE RETURNS OR SITE REASONS SUCH AS HYGIENE CONCERNS OR USAGE WITHOUT FIRST CHECKING THEM OUT. MANY SELLARS WHO REFUSE RETURNS ON THESE GROUNDS USE THEM AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT TAKE PRODUCTS BACK EVEN WHEN THEY'VE MADE MISTAKES ON YOUR ORDER. MAKE SURE THAT THINGS LIKE REMOVING AN ITEM FROM THE PACKAGE DOESN'T CONSITUTE "USE" IN THE MIND OF THE SELLER.
REMEMBER, YOU HAVE SOME RECOURSE THROUGH CONSUMER ORGANIZATIONS IF YOU BUY FROM A U.S. VENDOR, THAT RECOURSE RAPIDLY DISAPPEARS WITH VENDORS FROM OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY.
ALWAYS READ MORE THAN THE FIRST FEW REVIEWS. MISTAKES MAY BE FAR AND FEW BETWEEN BUT YOU WANT AT LEAST SOME IDEA OF HOW THEY'RE HANDLED BY THE SELLER. ALSO CHECK THE PROFILES OF THOSE LEAVING THE REVIEW.
DO NOT FOR ONE MINUTE THINK THAT ETSY TRUST AND SAFETY WILL HELP YOU WITH AN ISSUE BE YOU BUYER OR SELLER. IT'S CONSIDERED A FORUM FOR THE INDIVIDUALS TO HASH IT OUT. ETSY WANTS NO PART OF IT EVEN THOUGH UNETHICAL SELLERS ARE A DIRECT REFLECTION ON TH
WATCH OUT USING PAYPAL. I LOVE THE SERVICE AND USE IT ON A REGULAR BASIS, BUT its DISPUTE METHOD AND PURCHASE PROTETCTION AREN'T USEFUL WHEN AN UNETHICAL SELLER IS DETERMINED TO KEEP YOUR MONEY. PAYPAL HAS A PROCESS, BUT CHANCES ARE YOU'VE CONTACTED THE SELLER ALREADY AND THEY'VE VOICED THEIR INTENT NOT TO COMPLY
IF YOU TRULY WANT TO RISK AN OUT OF COUNTRY ORDER OPT FOR CREDIT CARD PAYMENT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE
Now let's get down to business.
This is a call to task for Magic Tribal Hair and Etsy for certain business practices. It pains me to do so because Ive been a shopper on Etsy for several years and have never had to file a dispute with any seller. My dispute against Magic Tribal Hair was registered with Etsy Trust and Safety on July 4, 2016 and escalated on July 11, 2016. Etsy has yet to supply any real indication whatsoever that they are investigating. I contacted the CEO to no avail. I called the only available number for Etsy and received a message to the effect that they do not take this type of call. I was then referred back to the page where I could request a phone call. This number was currently unavailable. This is a common complaint of sellers and buyers when trying to navigate Etsy's ineffectual dispute system.
With no apparent recourse for my complaint I chose to open a case with the Better Business Bureau. This case was forwarded to Etsy who took 48 hours to respond. As per Camille, Etsy abdicates all responsibility in the matter suggesting it's merely an outlet for many talented sellers. However it's an outlet that attempts to control what is said about the sellers, and frequently pulls down from their forums any identifying information about unethical sellers. They are more than happy to pull down a review that they feel doesn't meet their guidelines and don't seem perturbed by abusive seller responses to a poor revue. All too often the entire content of a forum complaint is missing. You are left with a handful of answers and forced to extrapolate the question. I'll take unethical business practices on the part of Etsy vendors for $1000 Alex!. I have asked repeatedly for someone at Etsy to read the conversations between Magic Tribal Hair and myself. They show quite clearly what lead to my wish to return all purchased items, photographs, excuses and fabrications, hell blatant lies on the part of the seller, and a more real time view of both sides of the issue. Camille was also quite clear in stating the Etsy phone policy. In fact this was what was written in the statement i received from Etsy:
IN THE COMPLAINT, THE CUSTOMER ALSO STATED THAT SHE EXPERIENCED TROUBLE CONTACTING ETSYS CUSTOMER SUPPORT BY PHONE. THE CUSTOMER MAY NOTE THAT ETSY IS ONLY ABLE TO OFFER SUPPORT VIA TELEPHONE THROUGH THE REQUEST A PHONE CALL TOOL. INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TOOL CAN BE FOUND THROUGH THE FOLLOWING HELP PAGE: HTTPS://WWW.ETSY.COM/HELP/ARTICLE/4872

I can't stress this enough. i indicated in my BBB complaint that i called the Etsy number, 718) 855-7955. From there i was redirected to my case and a request button to click on that wasn't working. i could not make a request for a phone call. These the exact words i used in my BBB complaint:
THE PHONE NUMBER GIVEN DIRECTS YOU BACK TO YOUR COMPLAINT WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO REQUEST A PHONE CALL FROM ETSY, BUT THIS SERVICE IS UNAVAILABLE.
The entire tone of Etsy's response to my complaint leads me to believe that Etsy Trust and Safety is nothing more than an opportunity for unethical sellers to run out the clock on claims and Etsy refuses to recognize the acts of these sellers is a reflection on them. All Etsy seemed concerned with is not being the one returning my payment. I never asked for that, what i wanted all along was for someone to read the convos. If payment is to be returned i want it to come from Magic Tribal Hair, but apparently all Etsy has to offer is a resolution system that is designed to resolve nothing. As a result I'm left with no choice but to take it into a public forum. So yes, this is about Magic Tribal Hair, but Etsy is included also for its refusal to get involved when a vendor using their service and name takes advantage of a seller or sellers.

So here we go.
The following includes a description of events from the time the order was placed until the present. I have screen grabbed all conversations and am more than happy to supply them. My missive to the CEO is also available. All Better Business Bureau are publically available.
The chain of events is as follows:
On May 22nd and 24th of 2016 I purchased several hair pieces from Magic Tribal Hair through Etsy.

Melanie Penners
Schlegelstraße 30
50935 Cologne
Germany

She had many items for sale including hair falls, braids, and yarn dreads. Her Etsy store pages made no mention of textural differences in the Kankelon hair she uses could be associated with color difference, that I should order, taking dye lots into account. Or that multiple items and/or different textured items shouldn't/can't be worn together.

My order was as follows:

1 set of custom 50cm/20" chignon braids
1 custom Gretel hair band
1 set medieval hair falls

All items were ordered in #30 Light Copper.

Through Etsy convos I discussed with the shop owner not only the connector I would like, how I was planning to use it, but the reason I felt the connector I chose would be more than adequate. At no time during these convos, did the seller suggest I use a different connector, that the project I was planning was an impossible flight of fancy, that the hair falls and braided items shouldn't/can't be worn together, that different textures along the same color line are different colors, or the presence of dye lots. All of this would have changed my order.

In subsequent convos there was mention made of her order arriving without the #30 light copper. This happens and I indicated I left me good deal of lead time between my order and when I would actually need the items. There was also something about shipping, but again at the time I wasn't in a particular hurry. Still, no mention was made of color differences and dye lots and I was never asked if I would like to adjust my order accordingly before the project was started.

The braids and head band arrived first. They seemed somewhat dark, but I have several wigs that color and it can be hard to determine actual color on a computer monitor. there was also a great deal of visible glue however, the project I intended would cover my natural hair so the color was perfectly acceptable and any glue would be well hidden.

The falls arrived several days later. Upon opening the box, and without need of comparison, it was clear the falls were much lighter in color. Again their was also a considerable amount of visible glue. This is where the fun started. I sent pictures showing the color difference and received an email back stating, "THANK YOU FOR YOUR MESSAGE AND I'M SORRY TO HEAR YOU ARE NOT 100% HAPPY WITH THE BRAIDED HAIR PIECES." This was followed by:

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, THERE IS A SLIGHT COLOR DIFFERENCE ALTHOUGH ALL ITEMS ARE MADE OF EXACTLY THE SAME HAIR AND HAIR COLOR. I MADE THEM ALL OF COLOR 30 BUT THE DIFFERENT TEXTURES AND THE TREATMENT OF THE HAIR CAUSES THE SLIGHT DIFFERENCE IN COLORS. THAT IS WHY THE WAVY HAIR IS NOT AS BRIGHT AS THE CRIMPED HAIR IN THE OTHER PIECES. THIS DIFFERENCE CAUSED BY TEXTURE IS INEVITABLE AND WE CANNOT POIT OUT THIS DIFFERENCE IN THE COLOR CHARTS, BECAUSE IT IS NOT REALLY PREDICTABLE. ONE FACTOR IS THAT COLORS SLIGHTLY CHANGE IN VERY FINE NUANCES FROM THE MANUFACTURER NOW AND THEN. IT IS THE SAME AS WITH WOOL, WHERE YOU SHOULD NOT KNIT ONE PIECE WITH WOOL FROM DIFFERENT CHARGES (THEY HAVE NUMBERS TO DISTINGUISH). AND THE OTHER FACTOR IS INOUR HAND-MADE PRODUCTION: SINCE THE TEXTURES ARE HAND-MADE SOMETIMES THE COLOR DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT TEXTURES ARE MORE, SOMETIMES THEY ARE LESS, THIS IS NOTHING PREDICTABLE.

I HOPE YOU WILL LIKE YOUR HAIR PIECES ANYWAY ESPECIALLY SINCE NOT ALL OF THEM ARE WORN AT THE SAME TIME.

I indicated that was how I intended to use them, together. I reprinted the convo explaining how I was going to use them. The seller got progressively more abusive. She became accusatory insisting I was "misusing" her hair pieces. She went on ad nausea about how I couldn't do my craft project. That I should have gotten the other connector. All this at the point where I was suggesting making this info more clear upfront, making it easier for people to order. It was even suggested I take $100 worth of hair, unbraid it and experiment to get it the right color. A process that can't even be done on the head band. Finally exasperated by this individual I said I wanted to return both orders. Then the seller got real nasty. At this point I did post a well deserved negative review that didn't meet Etsy guidelines. It was summarily taken down including the oh so deserved one star for customer service. I was accused of attempting to unleash a "$#*! storm" of bad publicity. Deserved bad publicity as the seller seemed far more concerned with the prospect of keeping the money, than she was with customer service.

So to sum up: in her own words she can't supply a consistent product because textural differences and her "process" result in color differences. Colors come in dye lots so unless you can indicate you want a single dye lot you take what you get. You can't possibly use her products together because mixing textures is considered a misuse of her product tantamount to the illegal use of oxycotin, let's not forget she doesn't feel the need to tell you any of this prior to sale. She won't bring it up in subsequent convos, in fact she'll make no mention of it before starting the project. Also remember none of this became an issue until after I called the seller on the noticeable color difference

Well this isn't my first rodeo. Ive worked quite a bit with Kankelon hair. I proceeded to buy bags of regular and textured hair off Amazon, from multiple suppliers, all using the same color code number. Imagine my excitement at finding out there was a color that's a near perfect match to my own hair, #27. I ordered #27 because it made proving my point less expensive. Bags and bags arrived from 3 different vendors, no color difference between textures, no dye lots listed anywhere. Simply, no matter where I bought it, I consistently got the same color. with all this hair in hand I proceeded to make the two falls and three braids and affix them to the rigid head band like I had originally intended. Though told you can't possibly use five the finished product contains 7 hair pieces, nine if you figure one of the pieces is made from 3 individual units.

Having opened the dispute with Etsy, and with evidence at the ready I posted pictures of the sales indicating the multiple purchases of both standard straight and braiding hair from multiple vendors, as well as pictures of the craft project that couldn't possibly work containing multiple hair textures, using multiple production methods, and everything magically the same color. I also stated that use was at the discretion of the buyer. The seller does not get to decide how, when, or where an item is used. Of course all this went through Etsy Trust and Safety which means it's apparently completely ignored. What I did get was a complaint on the part of the seller that posting evidence refuting her statements had nothing to do with the case. Possibly a curious quirk of the German legal system.

Well in the presence of the fact that I proved in multiple instances the seller's statements about texture, dye lots and process are only true for her. That the project I intended could be easily completed. That textures and hair pieces can be mixed and mounted on a rigid head band, I have to conclude statements made by the seller were a weak attempt at not making good on her mistakes. In fact through all of this the seller has never posted anything more evidentiary than because I say so. Even if everything she says is the gods honest truth it should have been clearly stated on her site to avoid ordering problems, if not on the site, in subsequent convos during the process of discussing connectors. With so much opportunity to get it right there really is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Finally after telling you they actually do nothing, Camille is very clear when it comes to what Etsy doesn't do, Etsy will tell you they have no power to force a seller to return money. Its my humble opinion, but I would venture to say this isn't true. Their power lies in the ability to suspend an individuals shop after and only after a proper investigation. If the shop is found to be acting in a fashion that doesn't reflect well on Etsy the choice is evident, make it right or have your shop suspended for a given period of time. You see despite their claims otherwise shops are linked to the Etsy name. You hear phrases like, I got it on Etsy, or I bought it from so and so, they're on Etsy. When it all goes horribly wrong it becomes don't shop on Etsy, not don't by from so and so.

In light of their abdication of all responsibility and as long as it can't be guaranteed that there are protections for buyers or sellers, it's clear no one in good conscience can recommend Etsy as a place to shop. Sellers, they don't even remove disputed shops from a persons feed. Precious space is wasted advertising the wares of people you will never do business with again. They also offer no way of bookmarking a site without clicking favorite shop. this is a distinction that can only truly be made after you've delt with a vendor. It's deceptive, and when you realize who you're dealing with never warranted that little heart, unfavorite you may, but once again their wares rep[eatedly show up in your feed. In short, SHOP AT YOUR OWN RISK because Etsy is no help when a vendor using their service takes advantage of a buyer. Etsy is just Etsy, by their own admission they don't stand for honesty, quality, or any of the other characteristics by which you would judge a business. They are a clearing house of unvetted shop owners for which they claim no responsibility, the vast majority of which are wonderful. Unfortunately you have no reasonable expectation that those that act in a dishonest, unethical fashion will be delt with when their practices are brought to light. Sadly youre just flying blind.

As of 7-25-2016 Etsy closed thje case saying part of the oprder was used:

HELLO, THIS IS DREW FROM ETSY'S TRUST & SAFETY TEAM. THANKS FOR UPDATING THE CASE LOG.

BECAUSE PART OF THE ORDER WAS USED, WE ARE NOT ABLE TO MEDIATE THIS DISPUTE USING THE CASE SYSTEM. FOR THIS REASON, I AM GOING TO CLOSE THIS CASE. YOU ARE WELCOME TO CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER TO RESOLVE THIS TRANSACTION OUTSIDE OF THE CASE SYSTEM.

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ETSY'S CASE SYSTEM CAN BE FOUND HERE: HTTPS://WWW.ETSY.COM/HELP/ARTICLE/4521

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH THIS PROCESS, AND I'M VERY SORRY THERE ISN'T MORE WE CAN DO TO HELP.

The items in question were removed only once from their packaging to photograph them in an attempt to show the color difference. The items couldn't have been used because I purchased hair ion #27 to complete my project. A color I found only because I was forced to find an alternative to complete my project. It still proves that dye lots are nothing more than an excuse with no basis in fact, and there are no color differences between textures. Innless of course this issue exists only for magic tribal hair and light copper#30.

So in closing Etsy does not vet it's sellers, has a totally ineffectual dispute system designed to resolve nothing, It makes accusations with no foundation in fact, and doesn't require it's sellers to probe the validity of their statements.

L. China Mayhew

jillj10
7/23/16

Don't buy anything on this site, you will not get a refund if there is a problem. Etsy does not care. Stay away from Psychics there, they are all fake and will rip you off. Etsy should ban Psychic readers but they are greedy and won't, won't give you your money back when you file a complaint.

elyg7
7/20/16

Many personalized jewelry items are listed as HANDMADE. In reality those items are programmed by computer & are cut with machine or laser cutters. The only part done by hand is attaching the machine made trinket to a machine made chain. That is hardly considered handmade. What Etsy is doing is called false advertising & deceiving buyers.

A personalized necklace, weather it is a monogram, name necklace or any pendant with a name is handcrafted, cut with a jewelers saw frame using delicate jewelers saw blades.

If it is programmed by computer & cut by machine or a laser cutter it is not handmade.

lindao49
7/18/16

I regret making the purchase. The fabric of the flower girls dresses I purchased as poor quality. Nothing as in the catalogue.

patriciaj53
7/18/16

I placed an order with Etsy fourteen days ago and have yet to receive the order. Payment was taken from my card after seven days but they have now also taken a second payment for exactly the same amount and I have had to cancel my credit card. Not a happy customer and now discover I am not alone believing this. I want my goods and my money back in respect of what was taken fraudulently. Shan't see me again.

TJ

christinec83
7/16/16

I was promised delivery within a week and paid for express delivery but I did not get the item for some weeks and then had difficulty with customs as I am in the UK. I had made it clear that the dress was to be used as a costume for a play. I found the shops attitude totally unhelpful because the dress did not arrive on time for the play so was no use to me. They refused to give me a refund. Some time has passed but they knew the circumstances and this is a bullish attitude. They still sell this dress and and it would not be a hardship to them to accept a return. As it is I have lost an awful lot of money on wasted postage and customs fees and I would still have to pay postage back. I would not recommend buying from these people at all.

nathanz2
7/12/16

Ordered an item listed for 2-3 days delivery. It is now 9 days and no sign of it. Etsy has no clue! The seller says it'll be another two weeks and Etsy claims they have no say in it all. This was a mistake.

laurenf24
7/7/16

I started selling on Etsy quite some time ago. I never sold a lot, but it was enough to make it worth it. Etsy has become so over saturated with mass-produced items that it is equivalent to Ebay.com. It is so sad to see, and I had to dissolve my business with them. Etsy used to be a community of honest, hard working, hand crafting, sellers. Now I cannot tell you the amount of dishonest sellers I have encountered in the past couple of years. It is truly disheartening to see. I bough a custom order for my wedding, and the product was not as described. I couldn't use the product at all. I was not offered the option to either replace or return the product. Can you imagine the unnecessary stress this added to my wedding? I even opened an etsy case and it was dismissed without being addressed. Etsy has come to a point where they do not care about the quality of the products they are allowing to be sold. I am utterly disgusted.

millardf5
7/7/16

I just divorced and lost all the furniture so had to start over. I found a lot of unique things on Etsy I really liked so I placed orders for 4 big ticket items. I didn't find out until after the fact that two of them turned out to be in Europe with associated shipping costs higher than the item prices. Another was "lost" in transit and the sellers fell off the radar so now have a pending dispute filed with my bank, PayPal, and Etsy. The last item has been "processing" for a one and a half months. In short, I really don't think you can buy anything from Etsy. Try Houzz, they actually sell and deliver stuff. For now, I am out $2,000!!!!

kimh136
7/6/16

I ordered many things on one site, yet had to do 12 different orders. so I had to pay s&h 9 times for that one order. the others had free shipping
that made my life quite confusing. 15 emails saying what i had purchased, 15 confirmation emails from PayPal. then 16 more emails from the purchases I made being sent, and 15 more confirming my items were on their way then 15 more saying they had arrived. what a nightmare. never ever again. that was some bullcrap. also very difficult & time consuming. then just try & reach them, what a joke.
its a shame bc they sell beautiful pieces, but not worth so much hassle. i feel sorry for the vendors on this site.

555 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

58 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Etsy staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question