Review of Barnes&Noble

New York, NY, USA
Tel: 1-800-843-2665

maryh62
4/6/17

Because there is a store near me, I stop in quite often to check their sales. I have a membership card which earns discounts on purchases. While this is technically a book store, they also sell a variety of other products. I have purchased stationery, pens, calendars, candles and other items. Good quality. A bit pricey; wait for the sales and use the member discounts.

smha1
3/27/17

Besides mom and pop specialty bookstores, Barnes and Noble are the best thing going when you need a book immediately. Although pricier compared to Amazon, the B&N membership softens that blow, along with having a good stock of books on hand. The children section in my store is far from the beaten path, and they have a nice section where they can read and play while the adult shoppers are never hassled. There's also scheduled reading events for children and more so during the holidays. Most B&N stores have Starbucks inside, who also honour the membership discount. The workers at mine are also friendly, so 5 stars

patriciaw118
2/22/17

Still the best bookstore in metro Phoenix! The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. They go out of their way to make sure you find everything you are looking for and that is an asset in today's retail climate.

louiseh45
2/15/17

I love being able to go in and actually sit down to peruse a book before buying it. This lets me know if I truly want to add it to my collection, which I usually do. The prices are a little high, though, so I don't go too often.

barryl40
12/23/16

On line or in store, the service is always excellent. Special orders always arrive by promised date.

ronniet12
12/19/16

I placed an order for TWO books November 25, 2016 due to one of their come on coupon emails. Got an email that the books were shipped November 26, 2016. Waiting and WAITING, I went to the post off with the tracking information (still reading at the PO November 29, 2016) in DECEMBER! I was told UPS was using a third party to deliver merchandise. I CALLED UPS. They told me to take this concern to the POST OFFICE. I called Barnes and Noble EXTREMELY irate (yes, maybe I was yelling! Wouldn't you?). Besides telling me to have a professional attitude, customer service would NOT help me! The resolution there was a CREDIT! I hope!! Never checked. I STILL WANT MY DAMN BOOKS! Now, not only do I have to reorder some where else (like Amazon who do deliver timely!), but have the cash. I had this same problem with Shutterfly (non delivery of an order). Not only were they courteous, but they made sure another order was made (gratis) and SHIPPED and DELIVERED timely! I WILL NEVER EVER ORDER ONLINE FROM BARNES AND NOBLE AGAIN! I'll just drive the twenty miles one way to the store. They suck and don't give a $#*! (no wonder brick and mortal book stores are becoming dinosaurs!). Want books? Order from Amazon!

diannag8
12/7/16

Great place to shop at for books, not as good as shopping from the Chapters book store, but still good none-the-less. Decent prices.

bevc8
12/6/16

I ordered 2 books from the Barnes and Noble book store in New York on Thursday, and both books arrived at my house in Tennessee on Monday. Very pleased with their service.

alanam10
12/4/16

Before I start, let me warn whoever wants to apply to any position in Stamford Barnes and Noble: DO NOT APPLY. There's a manager who will never hire you but will insult and humiliate you.

Last year, I applied for head cashier position and he interviewed me. He was sarcastic and rude. Towards the end of my interview, he told me that he wasn't the manager and as soon as manager comes in he/she'll review my application. It was rejected. I applied again couple of months later, for part time book seller, and it was him calling me again, saying that I was picked for interview and that him and I spoke before.

I went to the store and did interview for 20 minutes. The manager was AGAIN sarcastic and rude to me. He then called another manager for I guess it is called "Second interview" or something. After that, I got an email from Barnes and Noble human resource requesting for background check. I did background check online. The manager called me at 7:00 PM on Friday asking him to call back regarding my background check and he GAVE HIS CELL PHONE NUMBER. I did call back through his cell phone number, but he never called me back. I even left message for him through his co-worker. HE NEVER CONTACTED ME. I called him and finally spoke to him and he tells me that I have to reply back to the email that was sent by the human resource. However, that was weird because the email includes "Do not Reply". He tells me that unless I reply back there won't be any background check unless I reply back. I did ignore that advice because technically it made no sense. The background check did go through and I got the consumer report from the Barnes and Noble indicating that the background check is complete. I called the manager and he told me flatly, that he decided not to hire me. Since I wasn't hired anyway, I asked whether he called my references and he told me he didn't and my background check was fine, but just decided that he didn't want to hire me. I'm not quite sure why he decided to go through background check if he decided not to hire me from the beginning. Also why he called me at night and giving me his cell phone number. I'm not sure why he never responded back despite leaving messages after he tells me to call back.I feel that he was never going to hire me anyway and just call me up to play with me.

I never met anyone so cruel in my life and I don't want to go through what I went through again. Is this how Barnes and Noble company treats people? or is it just him?

kurth28
11/5/16

My college bookstore often had better "gift" offerings PRIOR to this one size fits all across the country. The books seem to be higher priced.

duanes24
8/15/16

With Amazon Prime, why would I need to go to Barnes & Noble? I don't

sandeepa
7/22/16

It is a paradise for book lovers.Any topic or subject I can find the book easily in the shelves.Great reading at reasonable prices

anthonyb123
7/18/16

I've been both in the store and online with them, and I've always been satisfied with them. Of course online you have access to more books than they could ever stock in store, especially the more "controversial" volumes that I'm not going to list here but leave to your imagination. You can even use your membership discount online if you have it and you always get your tracking number so you always know where and when your package gets checked in.

aprilb49
6/25/16

Reading is one of my favorite things to do, one of my favorite hobbies out there. This store is one of my favorite stores to purchase books from. They have any book you could possibly imagine. It's just simply amazing. :)

richl13
6/10/16

The store on State st. in Chicago is a great place to brows, shop, and read. I never had a negative experience. Selection is OK and if they don't have something in stock, they really "bust their bun's" to get it to you asap.

tannerc7
6/4/16

If they dont have it they can get it!

kimberlyt17
4/16/16

After placing an order for several books online with this company I even paid for express shipping to get them in 2-3 business day or what I thought which will not be til 9-10 days the shipping was out of this world and I still don't have the books when needing them for an event!! So disappointed and when I talked to them the several times and ways I did they were of absolutely no help!!! The Barnes and Noble company kept blaming the marketplace seller and If I contact the seller they blame Barnes and Noble!! what a catch 22!! Don't do business with BARNES AND NOBLE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomp37
4/8/16

Last time I was at Barnes & noble, spent 2 hours there, checking out books, and other Nick nacks, one of my favorite places to go to

jamesm399
3/14/16

I've been buying books forever from this place. These days I buy them through my Nook. Their coffee shops and free wifi are a real pleasure to visit and I often go there to work when I need to work but am tired of the office.

pc68
3/14/16

Although I try to frequent local independent bookstores...B and N. com just makes it too darn easy to shop in quantity. For people who are dedicated bookworms there are always a hundred more titles you want...if not more. This site lets you maintain your wish lists and has out of print books available through their own vendors. Being a member gives you a savings card that is really worth the few dollars a year to renew it. Maybe twice in ten years has there been a title they didn't have. They also have a decent return policy. Even without a receipt you can at least get store credit in most cases. One year for my B-day I got three copies of the same book. In store they gave me credit for two. They also send coupons by mail a few times a year. All around great shopping experience.

shannonc48
2/9/16

I love Barnes and Noble. They usually have what I am looking for. I could spend hours in there just looking at the books and magazines. Sometimes I feel like their stuff is a little overpriced. I like the magazine selection, and I like that there are magazines from overseas available too. I love the bargain section. I usually find something I want in there.

cliffs21
1/27/16

My local Barnes and Noble supported my good family friend by allowing them to do a book signing for the book they wrote about their special needs son. I continue to support Barnes and Noble for supporting new authors who have just written their first book.

lisah168
12/28/15

I'm so glad that a real bookstore still exist. We love shopping there. Always helpful staff and they will spend as much time as needed to find what we are looking for. They make it easy to ship books when they are out of stock.

brittanyf12
12/3/15

I placed an order for several books and received them very quickly. One of the books was found to be out of stock after I placed my order, and they promptly refunded me for it.

otiso2
11/17/15

Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken and Other Poems. This book is a delight, I enjoy reading it it was refreshing I would recommend this, it is very well written.