Review of AbeBooks

Tel: +1.2504123200
domains@abebooks.com

samanthac121
1/15/18

Avoid this site like the plague! I ordered a text book, that in the description said it was a bundle with textbook and online access code. I am usually a fairly savvy online shopper. I read everything I could see on the page, and nowhere did it say text book only. Only after the order processed, did I see a description from saying "textbook only". After the order processed, I couldn't cancel, so the same day it arrived, I returned the book, using "item not as described" for the reason. I now have an email saying it chose the wrong reason to return. Are you kidding me? Even if a separate description was hidden further down the page, the item was NOT sent as was listed in the description at the top of the page. They gave no specific instructions on changing my reason, even through I stand by my initial reason. STAY AWAY FROM ABEBOOKS AND CAMPUS BOOKSTORE!

denniss164
1/9/18

I live in Australia.
Ordered a book from Ogma books through Abe books.
Ogma Books are in the UK.
The book was for delivery to a friend in the UK.
Price for the book and UK postage was paid for.
Couple of days later Abe said seller wanted more than five times the UK postage.
I queried the extra charge and was then told the book was no longer available.
At no time did I have direct contact with the book seller.
All done by email through Abe books!!!!
NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!
STAY WELL AWAY PEOPLE!!!!

jonb133
1/8/18

I've ordered probably a couple hundred books (novels) from AbeBooks. They are getting worse in that 30-50% of the books I receive, now as compared to a few years ago, are not described as book club editions when in fact they are. For the most part I never have a problem in receiving a refund, it's just a pain. Although last week, most recently, they asked for 3 different pictures of the book (this was directly from one of their participating dealers ThriftBooks).

shelleyc44
1/7/18

I ordered a $100.00 very large book. This company sent the book with no insurance and understated the weight. As a result, I am unable to file a claim from the postal service for my loss, and they get to keep my money. I know of too many reputable dealers, so am ferry sorry I opted to give these people a chance.

connieg57
1/4/18

I wish I could give this company ZERO stars. I sent books to them, and after a few days, I realized that the FedEx man wasn't picking up the packages from the shipping center. I got nervous, and I was afraid my books would not arrive by the deadline, so I contacted them to ask them to please refuse the shipment if they didn't arrive in time, because I had sent quite a few books, and I couldn't afford to lose money on them. Because of this, they will no longer allow me to sell books to them. They closed my account and told me that if I tried to open another account, they would close it as well. I did NOTHING wrong whatsoever and this is how they treat me???

markm443
12/31/17

Ordered a book at a much better price than I could find elsewhere. They confirmed the book was in stock. Book never showed up. When I asked for tracking or any proof of shipment they claimed to have mailed a $100 book without any tracking. I believe they realized other people were asking more for the used book and never shipped it. All the answers I received were nonsensical. Avoid this place like the plague unless you are willing to be scammed.

davidd405
12/21/17

Ok, I am upset so let me try to temper my rage somewhat and try to be as cool headed as I can be.

First time buyer from Abeboooks.com so I was buying some text books for resale. I thought I was purchasing what I clicked on the Hardback cover and the specific ISBN associated with the text I was purchasing. No apparently what I want is not relevant, so they sent me international versions of what I ordered with soft covers and different ISBN numbers. i ordered two of the text, and another text for different subject, and I see now on the tracking number they are sending me a international version of the text I ordered from Ireland.

I have to pay for shipping to get a full refund. They will not provide you with return shipping label. You cant get a refund until the books are returned. Then they will ship them back to you in snail mail that takes 5-8 days to receive.

So with that being said I will have to make a decision, attempt to give them another chance and risk more investment of my time in a company that does not have live talk customer service, there is no phone number on their website for customer service line. Its all done via email. Canned responses. And see if they will refund me my money.....but based upon my experience there is little confidence they will do right by me.

Or take the text books and sell them on another platform to get my money back, in a month or so. At least in that space I have some control.

I have seen other reviews after the fact of ordering through Abebooks that describe similar scenarios where customers are infuriated by lack of service-and dedication to treating customers right.

Since I started this review, I have again heard from Customer service tech who states I will get a full refund of the original cost of books and shipping charges, plus additional shipping charges to return the books. Which is apparently in the return policies of which I did not read, prior to ordering. I cant say this is totally unreasonable as a policy, my main frustration is that they decided I didn't need the books I ordered but sent me similar books by the same title which are of less value to me than what I ordered.

If I were to order them again I don't think I have any control to ensure I will get the correct books!! What a shame!!!

saram193
12/13/17

Ordered book but the seller canceled evidently when saw could get more for book and I refused to pay substantially more for book than what they listed book for Abes backed up this dishonesty

maureens42
11/29/17

I paid for an express service for my delivery and am still waiting 6 weeks later despite attempts to find out what is happening

jessicag184
10/27/17

Do not order from this site. I ordered a book that was out of print, and instead was shipped a different book in the same series. When asked to cancel- I was denied. When asked to return, I was given no response.
When I received the book, it was IN an AMAZON.com package with a gift receipt enclosed.

I was completely taken advantage of by a reseller, that got my order WRONG, and nowhere on the site is a place for customer feedback.

franks200
10/25/17

it was easy first time to place an order, the price for the second hand book was very cheap and the postage reasonable, even if the wait was quite long

racheln40
10/7/17

My first order was cancelled because the seller didn't ship the book in the timeframe given. Okay, fine, things happen. I decided to give them another chance because of their low prices, and ordered the same book from a different seller. Not the next day, not even two days, FOUR days later my order was cancelled again due to the seller listing the book 'in error', whatever that means.
These issues have lost AbeBooks my business, which is a shame cause I buy a lot of both used & new books. I'll stick with Amazon and pay a little more cause I know without a doubt that I'll actually get what I order.

dann1199
10/5/17

I have ordered countless books from Abe and they are always as advertised and it doesn't take long for current releases to end up there. New David Baldacci book only took about 4 months to be available on Abe.

davidt286
9/30/17

I have been buying books regularly through Abebooks for fourteen years. During that time, I have never had a problem with service or delivery. I recommend Abes.

shannonm122
9/30/17

Do not trust this website at all. Booksellers are unreliable and either don't send you exactly what you want or they don't send anything at all. They asked me to cancel my refund request when I've been waiting 20+ days for a textbook and THEN they decide to tell me it's been shipped.

amberf31
9/28/17

Beware. DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!!!! They do no stand by there customers. If you order the wrong book, maybe they will take it back was the response i got back. Spend your money else where. This is a scam that takes advantage of people who dont know what they do

brentk22
9/25/17

I just recently came across AbeBooks. I have ordered from AbeBooks twice in past month. Very fast delivery and what I ordered was exactly as promised! Very impressed with AbeBooks. Was shocked to see so many "bad/negative" reviews. Thank you AbeBooks for a very good experience. I am a very happy/satisfied customer and will continue to use AbeBooks in the future!

arleneb28
9/20/17

I bought a book six weeks ago and never received by the promise date of 9/14/17.

I called Abebooks and spoke to Lloyd he gave me crock of you know what. He said it would take seven more days to contact the book publisher. I told him I didn't care and that wanted my money back, and he told me that it was the protocol. Then I got an email saying that they're refunding my money this morning.

Do not buy anything from Abebooks!

albao
9/20/17

I bought a book for my daughter , I paid extra shipping the book never arrived, I have to ask them and never reply, after I keep asking they said the book never was shipped .
never used this website for textbooks ever again ... Worst Service Ever. Nobody to be talked all conversation is by email...NO human Service

christopherf44
9/19/17

Ordered a book from them for my son's University course on 8/21. Still hasn't arrived. Paid for DHL 3-5 day service. Found out it's being sent US Postal. Currently three weeks overdue. Do not buy from Abe Books!!!!!!!!!

guadalupez
9/16/17

I am a college student and the book was taking WAY to long to arrive. I needed to buy the book from my college's book store. Then they told me that they couldn't take it back. I'm a college student. Do they think that I have money that I can throw around. WILL NEVER BUY BOOKS HERE AGAIN.

kp112
9/15/17

I will never use this website for textbooks again. I purchased a "New" textbook and paid for expedited (3 to 7 business days) shipping. The book I received was clearly used, had highlighting throughout, and it took almost 4 weeks to arrive. Stay away!

vanessac66
9/15/17

My "brand new" textbook turned out to be a knock off...you name it: smudged ink, faded ink, typos that aren't found in a legitimate copy of the book (I know because I borrowed the REAL version from my school library), pages with folds in them. I paid over $100 for a home made book. I will never use this site again.

annaho1
9/14/17

Run for your life from this website...ha! I've never seen this kind of fraud website in my life. I've ordered for my nursing school textbook from this website since August 22, 2017 and today is Sept 14, 2017, almost one month and i've not receive my textbook and MY EXAM is next WEEK. Some people said only buyers from outside USA are the only one having problems with ABEBOOKs are liars because I live in US. I even called the DHL two days ago to confirm the tracking number they gave me, but they said they don't have my book yet.

If had known, i would have read reviews before purchasing. if you have opportunity to read all the reviews in the website and you still purchase from them, then you're on your own. People who seems to write good review for them are from the workers i think.The only thing i still wish to do, is to make a video and share both on google and everywhere i can, to tell people about this fraud website. I wish not to give any star but the site won't let me....VERY POOR SELLER!

maryh358
9/14/17

Don't trust giving your credit card to them I have not received my book and my card was charged $160 including fast shipping fees I tried once before buying a book from them and two weeks later they said the book was out of stock don't know why I tried a second time don't trust them.

I've not had the bad experiences of the previous reviewers. That said, choose your sellers carefully. Just as on ebay, etc., check the reviews of the seller. One of the sellers I use often on Abe is Hippo Books. They sent me an email recently that the book I ordered from them was not the advertised quality and that their packers caught the mistake. The book was not salvagable and was regrettably destroyed. They checked their stock and did not have another copy at all. They promptly refunded my money without me having to ask. They were apologetic and I have since then purchased other books from them with dependable and accurate results. Another seller I use is Owls Books. They refunded my money after one email to them when I complained that the condition of the book I received did not match the advertisement. Again, absolutely no hassle and good results since then. I like to use sellers in close proximity to my residence or at least in the same state. Your experience will, as always, will depend on your due diligence as a buyer.

By Melody B.

"Trust" and "Abe Books" do not go hand in hand, based on my experience....

By Johnny F.

Abe however did gave me my money back due to the book never arriving.

By Hugo P.

Good luck is all I can say I'm afraid. They told me to write not known at this address in the parcel and put it in a postbox and promised a refund once they had received it. Surprise, surprise - they never acknowledged receipt and I never got a refund. Congratulations that you were previously satisfied. One if the few I fear!!

By Keith P.

No do not trust this site. They send the wrong books pages missing and it takes 3 to 5 weeks to finally get you

By Tanya G.

Sketchy, Abebooks sells books through mulitple sellers (like Ebay), but actually Ebay is more reliable. If you can get anywhere else, then do. It may work out okay.

By Jean P.

In my experience, the charge doesn't post until the books ships, at which point the vendor sends me an e-mail. Depending on the card you use and the vendor who sells you the book, your experience can vary. I've had books arrive within two days up to two weeks. AbeBooks has always been good about refunding my money in cases where the book is damaged or in bad condition. A good rule of thumb is never to spend more than $10.00 for any book on AbeBooks; if you want a higher-priced or new book, go to Amazon and make sure your order is listed as being fulfilled by Amazon to ensure a refund if you need one (they will ask you to return the book, however).

By Cynthia K.

Questions? Get answers from the AbeBooks staff and other customers.

3 Photos for AbeBooks