AbeBooks.co.uk

AbeBooks.co.uk has a consumer rating of 3.99 stars from 9 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. AbeBooks.co.uk ranks 7th among Used Books sites.

How would you rate AbeBooks.co.uk?

“Abebooks is a useful platform for 'professional' booksellers (not a bookseller itself).”

Andrew G.
12/25/20

Negative reviews are attributed to lousy experiences with particular booksellers. Better to review the booksellers themselves, rather than the website they use to sell their wares. That's like reviewing eBay or Amazon negatively as a whole because of a bad private seller. The vast majority of my experiences on Abebooks have been professional & speedy, and the few times things have gone wrong Abebooks have enforced refunds, so long as you can provide tracking information for the return. Descriptions tend to be less accurate when dealing with bulk warehouse-sellers rather than bricks & mortar second-hand Bookshops. Minus 1 star for representing a regrettable global monopoly -- try 'Biblio' if you can, first.

“Scams sellers”

maxim d.
10/3/17

After i bought a books and payed both fort book and for shipping, almost every seller cancelled my order and tried to add extra money for shipping, even i already paid for that. Either they are scam sellers that have not enough of what abebooks asks for or the website has racist sellers. I emailed with my complain to abebooks about sellers trying to pay extra for shipping and got no reply, never ever use this $#*! site

cherylf325
February 16th, 2021

Cheaper than Amazon, decent quality used books for a fraction of the price, many with free postage. Good delivery periods too. Just about to place another order! That's three this week...

Products used:
Books - used.

amyv24
December 3rd, 2016

I've ordered a good few books from Abebooks.co.uk over the years and many of them have been just fine, with a few glaring exceptions. One had a hole in the back cover and six pages were completely blank (this bookseller can't be found on the site anymore, though of course they may have changed their name), and recently a booked described as 'new' arrived with a tatty dust jacket and black marks on the dust jacket, inside cover and outer edge of the closed pages. I wonder if the absence of a seller review function on the site encourages sellers with poor standards? Shame for the good ones to be tarnished by the poor behaviour of others.

andrewg912
December 25th, 2020

gordonr46
February 11th, 2019

Abebooks is the best place to find out-of-print books to buy. The site lists books available from independent booksellers in a number of countries. I've been able to find and buy all kinds of out of print books, that you can't easliy find elsewhere. The booksellers have all been helpful and I've got my books quickly in the condition described in the listings. When you order through abebooks, you are ordering from an individual seller, so check their rating and reviews before ordering from them. I have had NO problems with any or my orders over the years.

phyllism96
May 2nd, 2019

Abe Books found me a book that no other Company was able to do, I live in the UK and this book was only available in New Zealand but they managed to find it and I now have the book, no problems at all, Abe books are a very reliable and helpful company.

maximd10
October 3rd, 2017

anng32
December 21st, 2014

I love this company. Been using them for years and they're the first place I go to for books. I had 2 difficulties with their American base, sending the wrong books, but no problems with the English one. How else could I get books that the shops have deemed out of date? I have no professional or personal reason for writing this. Just want to share the good experience I had.

jamesc168
July 4th, 2014

Avoid this company! If you are buying a book, try to find it somewhere else. Do not trust this company!
1. Their descriptions are dishonest: "excellent should not mean a battered ex-library copy with a torn cover and damaged spine; nor should "very good" mean pages ripped and a worn ex-library copy. (Ex-library copies should always be disclosed in the description, so that I, as the buyer, can make an informed decision.)
2. Poor response / customer service - not replying promptly, sometimes not at all, or completely misunderstanding of the problem described.
3. Promised refunds not actually paid until further complaint.
4. They can't even get the refund right - maybe I should just take the money and run, since it was more than I paid! How was this worked out? Still waiting for a response.
Avoid World of Books in particular. Greener Books is not much better.
So unless you want to waste your money and time and get yourself into a schemozzle, do NOT even think about buying anything from this company. There are plenty of good booksellers out there - but Abebooks.co.uk is a big rip-off!

slc
February 14th, 2014

I posted my books to ABEBooks UK books buyback programme, and I followed their directions to a tee. I received an email just a few days late that my books were received and checked in. Good so far. I was further told that I would receive the original quoted price for all my books and that payment would be issued via my PayPal account within 1-2 business days. When that didn't happen, I contacted their online customer service (the UK site does not have a customer service telephone number, so you never get to speak with anyone). The response time was more than the 48 hours they promised, but I was contacted and given an incomplete update by one of their CSR's. I was informed that payment is typically issued in 2-5 business days, not 1-2, and then he questioned where I had heard it was 1-2. I was a little taken aback by that, but I sent a copy of the original email I had received from ABEbuyback UK. I was glad someone had contacted me, but still had received no word as to the status of my payment. Since it was now day 6, we were also beyond the corrected time frame of 2-5 business days. I am giving this bad review now, because I am now into day 11, and I still have not been issued a payment. When I look online, however, my account incorrectly states that payment has been issued. When I tried to find out more information, I was told by the CSR that my payment had been issued to the wrong email address, and that I had given them the wrong email address. Now I was really puzzled, because if that were true (and I can't prove that it isn't), how did I get their original to the correct address? As it stands now, I cannot get any response from anyone, so it looks like ABE Books has decided not to resolve this. I may not be able to get hold of them by telephone, but I am going to let as many people know as possible that I would NOT recommend doing business with them, as it appears their customer service representatives do not care about you as a customer. They do not appear to be working with me to resolve this issue. I have tried and tried to sort this out, but I am not even getting a response from them. I have now asked them to return my books, but I am assuming I won't hear back from them on that score either. I am greatly disappointed, and will seek to do whatever I can to get my money or my books back, although I am not sure what recourse I have. £29.13 may not seem worth the trouble to them, but I was made redundant over four years ago, so every bit really matters to me now.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AbeBooks.co.uk staff and other customers.

Shop a vast selection of books, art and collectables from independent sellers around the world.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AbeBooks.co.uk?

Have a question about AbeBooks.co.uk?