US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

shellyt15
11/29/16

I ordered 2 items for the first time from this company on Monday, November 14, 2016 and paid $12.99 for shipping. On their "Shipping Information" page it says the following: "Orders for in-stock products are generally processed within 1 business day (Mon-Fri)".

Here's my tracking information:
Philadelphia, PA, United States 11/21/2016 8:41 P.M. Arrival Scan
Secaucus, NJ, United States 11/21/2016 6:32 P.M. Departure Scan
11/21/2016 11:25 A.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/17/2016 3:03 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I wanted to receive the merchandise before Thanksgiving, 2016, which was on the 24th. I didn't receive it in the mail until Tuesday, the 29th as I was out of town from Nov. 24 thru Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving. I paid $12.99 to get a package (envelope really) from either New Jersey or Pennsylvania to Maryland and it took 15 days.

I called customer service twice. First time, they said it will be on it's way and for sure get here before Nov. 24. The next time, on Nov. 22, they hung up on me when I said that I wanted to cancel the order.

Terrible customer service. Terrible quality. Terrible that they're apparently making quite a bit of money off of their shipping fees.

brendak33
8/31/16

I joined the VIP program about a year ago and I love it! I hardly ever bother writing reviews, but I was very surprised to see that some people were dissatisfied with their experience. I have spent about $165 for membership fees and have earned about a thousand dollars in gift cards. I don't even bother to shop in malls anymore. I have bought several jackets, sweaters, tops, dresses and skirts. Most everything was bought with my gift cards. Typically, I buy things that are on sale to begin with. Then I get a 10% discount and rebates back for shipping costs. A small proportion of the items I have ordered have either not fit or didn't appeal to me when I tried them on. I sent them back, got my shipping refunded by filling out an online rebate form (simple) and received a letter with a rebate code that I used just like a gift card. I highly recommend using this program and hope they never stop providing it. I usually end up canceling these "trial period" offers, so I was expecting to only let it run one month-then cancel it. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I benefitted by joining!

jans99
5/2/16

SCAM ALERT: Beware of clicking on the "Free Shipping" link when purchasing clothes online from Appleseed's catalog... When I bought a lovely winter coat in November, I unknowingly signed up for "Appleseed's VIP Plus". An extra $14.97 MONTHLY charge was hidden with a discount on my order. So duplicitous!! I was charged for several months before I caught it. When I called 1-877-716-0333 to cancel, I was told only one month could be reimbursed. When I told the phone rep that this is a reprehensible practice, and that reputable companies like Lands End, Coldwater Creek, Kohl's & Famous Footwear offer free shipping without strings,the phone rep reimbursed 2 months of fees. If you buy anything from one of their companies: Appleseed's, Linensource, the Tog Shop or others,, be very careful...

marys342
4/30/16

I tried to order an item already reduced and with a promo code that should have given me a further reduction. When they added on the postage, it was almost the same price as the original reduced price.
Postage, then was 25% of the cost of the item!!
I like their products, but processing is extremely slow and P&H much too high.
I try to stay away from Appleseeds for these reasons

jens254
4/18/16

oh my goodness, I just spent over 38 minutes trying to place an order. They do not let you use two promo codes, so although I was going to spend over $300 on sweaters, they were going to charge $22 for shipping? Really? The woman who helped me just did not understand what I was saying. FINALLY, when she agreed to waive shipping and I had my 11 sweaters all ready to be ordered, she was not able to honor the 30% coupon code that worked when the sweaters were IN my shopping cart because "those coupons are just for online orders." So basically, if I order ON the phone with her, she can give me free shipping, but discount only ONE sweater, but if I order online, I can save 30% on all my sweaters, but pay $22 for shipping. WHO PAYS FOR SHIPPING THESE DAYS? ESPECIALLY WHEN A CUSTOMER IS SPENDING OVER $300??? WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!! ugh, wish I read these reviews before I even got on the phone with them.

kaylab29
3/10/16

I should've looked at the reviews for this website. I ordered a sweater from this website around oct. 15 2015 for a costume. A week later it said it atrived in the mail, i checked and it wasnt there. I emailed the company to complain abd all they did was offer me a discount off my next purchase, i got no money back on a $45 sweater. F**K this website. Then guess what came in the mail today? Its March 10 2016 and i finally got it. I dont even want it anymore, i just wanted it for my costume. This place is a waste of time and money, customer service is horrible. Dont ever shop here.

margaretm102
3/3/16

Beware of signing up for Appleseeds VIP Plus when ordering on line. It is hidden with a discount on your order followed by your credit card being charged $14.97 each month. VIP for a catalog? So disappointing... I was charged for 2 months before I caught it; I received absolutely nothing for it.

lavr4
2/17/16

I normally do not submit negative reviews. But I want to see if my experience is just my karma catching up or if it is a systemic problem with the website.
I placed an order on their website at the beginning of Jan. After the initial order confirmation, I didn't hear from them for 2 weeks (the order status showed as in progress). I finally called them and they said they placed the order 'on hold' to verify my mailing address. No calls, no emails, but they sent me a postcard which I received a few days later. A few more weeks later, I finally got the package, but it was missing 3 of 5 items I had ordered! The shipment summary however said everything was shipped. I called their customer service and the woman who answered was very abrupt and seemed not to know how to find information about my order. She got all the information on my order wrong and then suggested I wait for a few days and then call back. I was still asking for information when she hung up on me! I was so angry that I called back and this time I got a better representative who promised the missing items would be shipped to me and that they will refund and then charge again. To top it all, the quality of the items I got was not that great either. The only reason I gave a 2 is for that one guy who seemed to care.

hillaryb10
1/8/16

I placed an on line order with Tog shop before Christmas 2015. On 12/30/2015, I contacted the company to find out about delivery. The order had not even been processed. Over the course of the next week I was told by management and six other customer service people that the order would arrive on 1/8/2016 ( they offered "expedited delivery "due to previous company errors). On 1/8/2016 the order was not delivered. I contacted the company again and was told by another agent that I "must have been mistaken". the order was shipped on 1/7 and wouldn't arrive until 1/19/206. NEVER NEVER use these people--they are terrible liars. Very dishonest.

melaniec26
12/30/15

If you order from this company be prepared to be ripped off. If you call for customer service, service is not what you get. The run-around is, They won't let you cancel your order. And they will not ship on time. They will lie to you and tell you that your order has been shipped. This is not true. They will tell you that they have no visibility to see whether you have a shipping tracking number because "they are backed up". They are lying to you. This is very fraudulent behavior. This company needs to be shut down and its employees need to go to jail. Period.

Tip for consumers: Do NOT purchase from these people. They're crooks!

travlnt
10/27/15

Customer service is NON EXISTENT.
Very prompt with confirmation of order. After that you might as well be talking to a caveman. Can't tell you where your order is...if it's been processed...when it will be shipped. If you decide to cancel...can't even tell you if it's been cancelled.
You get faster and better service from Auto Zone...next year I will order my mother's 93 birthday gift from there.

eh49
10/1/15

I discovered that a jacket on sale in the catalog -in 5 colors- was on sale for $99.00. On the internet store, only 4 colors of the jackets were on sale for $109.00 and the 5th. color was not on sale but at the regular price of $124.00. I called Customer Service and was told that the only way to get catalog sale price was to mail or call in the order. And, that Appleseeds does not have uniform pricing between catalog and internet. Both venues for selling may run individual promotions. But the venues do not honor each others promotions. Customer has to find the best deal and play the game. Sounds like a new twist on "bait and switch" to me.

jenniferj57
8/18/15

I placed an order, asked for expedited shipping. I learned through Paypal the order didn't go through. I didnt understand why, the Money is there. I called and spoke to a pleasant enough man named Brandon. However he didn't know either and he said HE WOULD CALL ME BACK to let me know why. I told him I placed an order for expedited shipping since I needed items by Friday. Guess what, no call back and they lost a $30 sale. I now need to find clothes for the trip I am taking. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!! Any business who makes it that hard to spend your money with them, they aren't worth giving your money too.

patc57
8/7/15

I do most of my shopping online and this is one of my favorite places. I've bought at least 20 items from them. I had no problems whatsoever in returning the few that didn't fit. And I wasn't charged for the returns.
The only thing I don't like is the high cost of shipping them to me.

irisd3
6/8/15

My Mom is 93 years old and in a long term care facility. She is on Medicare with a very limited income. After ordering multiple items because she wasn't sure of sizing or fit she returned what was not good. She had no idea that she would be charged 9.99 for each individual item returned. If that wasn't bad enough when backordered items came that at 93 she did not even remember ordering she was again told she would have to pay that fee. Bottoms line a $19.99 tee shirt that she didn't even want now gets returned and costs her $10.00. They are a company that takes advantage of elderly people with dementia and when you call to try and explain they are rude and uncaring. Hopefully the owner of this company has an elderly parent who gets take advantage of like this. They are the most awful company i have ever dealt with who enjoys preying on poor elderly people with dementia. Shame on them! Her bill came to more than $500.00 and the return fees were at least $200.00. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this!

carlosf17
5/1/15

The place is mediocre, overcrowded in winter. The fine print of allows them to charge you cancellation fees, and you have to give them 30 days in advance, that they also charge.
Will not come again next winter, there are many other places with straight up payment policies and more space

dees40
3/30/15

I made a large order to Appleseed women's clothing from the online store. I was disappointed at the exorbitant charge for shipping (21.99USD) and the package arrived on the 11th day. This was the last possible day for the company to comply with the 8 business day window. I complained, and received a 5USD coupon that could NOT be used online! Then, the items came and had a very odd chemical smell so I requested a free of charge return label. The customer service rep stated that there was nothing wrong with the merchandise so they could not send me a credit for the return. I do a lot of shopping online and I have never had such a bad experience. Beware of buying from Appleseed.

teresaw18
1/23/15

If you ever order from this company, you'll never be able to stop their catalogs. I've been requesting this for four months. (Same with their other catalog "The Tog Shop.")

patricek4
1/21/15

Website inventory does not match what is REALLY in stock! I ordered a coat that was available in multiple colors and sizes. I even applied for the Appleseed's credit card to get an additional 15% off! That means supplying personal information! I was approved for the credit and proceeded to use the promo code to get my discount...and it was invalid. I contacted online chat who told me to call customer service after I placed my order and they would give me the discount over the phone. To my shock, the young man on the phone said the item I ordered was not in stock and would not be reordered. So I am out of luck and I gave my personal information for nothing. Not happy. I always liked Appleseed's until now. I wasted an hour of my time for nothing!

Tip for consumers: Do not expect that what you order is really available.

maryr72
1/8/15

Ordered online because item noted as being "in stock" . After receiving zero shipping updates I called customer service to cancel order. After putting you on 25 solid minutes of an annoying recording telling you to shop their site online (hysterical) I finally got through to a sullen and sour woman who put me on hold again and informed me that SURPRISE- it's too late to cancel because "my order is already on the truck" whatever that means. What are the odds I won't see their crapo you clothes delivered for another month. Ugh prices for crapo u clothes and Zero customer service. Will arrive far too late to be presented as gift to relative as was hoped. Do not list an item as being available/in-stock and then sit on the order for weeks you ignorant people ! Nordstroms next time.

jeannem16
12/26/14

I like some of the clothing in the past. I live in Alaska and ordering onlline is impossible and frustrating. When entering the state it will not register. Once I managed to enter the state my order would not go forward, the computer keep indicating that the state needed to be entered! Also free postage code doesn't work for Alaska and not even a break is given. Other companies like LL Bean and Landsend honor us as being part of USA. I am disappointed and don't understand .

maryw17
11/14/14

I have been a customer of Appleseed's for the past 15 years. I've always have great experiences with both their customer service and quality of the clothing. That's changed, though. My Mom ordered a sweater for me for my birthday. She ordered it on Jan. 20th to be delivered by my birthday (Feb. 29). The rep. assured her it would be here on time. I got it on March 6th. The first time I put it on, I discovered the zipper had been installed backwards. I emailed customer service and asked for a prepaid label to return this defective sweater. They told me to use the label that came in the package and the fee would be deducted from the refund or exchange. I then called customer service and complained that since the merchandise was defective, I wanted a prepaid return label. They weren't in the least apologetic that the sweater was made wrong. Now that I've seen other posters comment that this company is a Blair company, it all makes sense. No wonder Appleseed's quality and cust. service has gone to s*%t. Don't shop here. You can find the very same stuff at Christopher and Banks and at least their customer service is top notch and the stores are staffed by locals.

susanj33
11/7/14

Same experience as others. Sent the wrong items and said I had to pay for returns. I also paid the shipping on other returns rather than use their label ( and get charged per item shipping fees). They charged me shipping and handling on return anyway - customer service rude and hung up on me when I tried to get shipping credit. WORST WEB BUYING EXPERIENCE EVER. ZERO STARS

jewelc2
10/29/14

I am 83 years old and have been ordering from Appleseeds for years simply because I can't find clothes that fit and that I like anywhere else. I can't go into stores and, the last time I tried, none of their clothes were classic and work for older women. ALL THE REVIEWS ABOVE ARE CORRECT. It is a terrible place to do business. Warning: Appleseeds credit card is entirely separate from Appleseeds store. We moved into an upscale retirement community a few months ago. I sent change of address to both the store and also marked it on each statement as I sent in the check. The store received change of address--the credit card (phone call in India) did not note the change. I received the bill late and was charged a late fee, though I paid it as soon as I received it, They continued not changing the address and sending the statement late. I tried every method possible to communicate with someone. No luck. The customer service people really are just as unethical as written in above reviews. They will hang up on you.
I fear they will not stay in business long and honestly don't know where I can get clothes. We ended up paying all the fees and interest though it was their error because we were afraid the fees would continue to be added. Calls from the collection agency were abusive and frequent. It was upsetting to me and my husband who is 86 years old. I am so glad most companies are not like this. One other minor point: when the items do not state what type of material it is made of, you can bet it is either linen or some other fabric that wrinkles. It is impossible to get to a supervsor at Appleseeds. I cannot understand why they don't care about their business. Perhaps there is no way for supervisors to know about the problems. One site above says they are owned by Blair.

ar5389
10/18/14

I saw one review that had 5 stars. That had to be from an owner of the company. I ordered in June, paid for shipping with the order.and got 4 packages which included most of the order. When I called asking about the remainder of order, I was told the other items were "back ordered" which I canceled. The result of the order: I returned 3 items that were sized incorrectly and they were going to charge me $9 for return postage. I did get them to forgive the return postage "as a one time courtesy". I have yet to see the refund on my credit card. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!!

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Appleseed's staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 11/28/11
Answer
ruthp1
Ruth P.
A: After being laid-off in Jan 2010 I was delighted to accept a position at Johnny Appleseed's Inc. on Tozier Rd in Beverly MA. I accepted that position with the understanding that I would shadow a mentor during my training.
No mentor was provided. No training was provided. Because I was unable to successfully perform my job duties due to the lack of training and due to the lack of response by management I left that position.
It is 7 months later, 7 months from the time I both reported my leaving and why to the Massachusetts Dept of Workforce Development and am now being challenged as to why I left as well as the fact that Johnny Appleseed's Inc sent me an incorrect W2 statement and I have consistantly requested a correct W2 statement and have not been able to receive one. Instead I continue to receive statements from a bankruptcy attorney that I don't even understand and am unable to file my 2010 taxes as well as the fact that I no longer receive unemployment benefits while this is being investigated. It's being investigated as though I did something corrupt when in fact I reported everything in a timely manner.
Any one out there experiencing similar problems? my email badolliecat@gmail.com
on 3/10/11
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Appleseed's staff and other customers.

Appleseed's?