Review of United Airlines

unitedclub@united.com
2018 Customer choice award

dw187
1/12/19

So our flight was delayed leaving Richmond. United rep tells us we won't make our connection in Chicago to KC at 10am. She puts on an American flight at 5 pm! Gee. Thanks. We get to Chicago in time for the first flight race to the gate to have the United rep tell us they sold our seats. Gee. Thanks. But they'll get us on another flight to KC before 5 pm. They send us to the other side of the airport and when we get to the American desk the rep tells us the paperwork they gave us is useless. We can't get on the flight. They tell us to go back to United on the other side of the airport. We called United instead. We waited on hold for two hours!!!! In the meantime we missed one flight to KC and were about to miss another when they finally got the mess straight. Oh, one more thing, the United rep told us on the phone that our travel agent had refunded some money to American and that that was the problem. Two things, we didn't book via a travel agent and we never booked anything via American, United moved us to American when they thought (thought) we wouldn't make our connection in Chicago. Final straw. When the United rep had us on hold for two hours, she came on the phone at one point and asked us to pay for the ticket again! What? Only United could be this bad. We couldn't make this up if we wanted to. Awful. Final, final straw...United doesn't give drinks. They give shot glasses full of warm soda or water. Not on American. Never again United.

grumpym3
8/14/18

I decided to take advantage of my United Card and flew over 75K miles last year mostly Business class so the cheap ticket argument don't count. I flew West to East Coast multiple times a month and had at least 1 out of every 4 flights where there was technical issues. And if it wasn't a technical issue the flight attended didn't show up for morning flight and we got delayed like 3 hr's and i missed my connection flight in ORD and had to spend the night at a hotel 45 min from Airport. If that's not to bad,got there at 1:30 AM and had to leave hotel at 4:30 to catch my 6:30 am flight.This airline is a joke and as long as there is no regulation for none delivery of services like in EU they will do what they want. If you fly in EU and they are late tey have to pay you so they have an interest to be on time. In The US since they give you a bag of chips it doesn't matter if a flight get canceled due to missing crew or bad equipment. Until we consumer demand better service for they always increasing cost of flying they will get away with it.

kennethm218
7/26/18

Everyone experiences difficulties at some time or another and you are very lucky if you never have a problem to deal with. But when you do experience an unforeseen problem with company service you hope to have some help. I will not blame the airline for the fuel leak it happens but I how they cope with a twenty four hour delay I know is not easy for them or me as a customer. However my experience of their service under these conditions was a nightmare. Dealing with their customer service late at night was shameful understaffed and without experience I as a retired police officer was ashamed of how customers were treated and left venerable. beware! the worst thing was failure to except full responsibility and help people.

brandonb227
6/19/18

If you are price conscious, and only need a flight for the day, United's basic economy is for you. However, for the price of one bag added to your flight, you will find a plethora of airlines that include carry-on, snacks, and beverages. Be cognizant of the low cost as a bait and switch to get you to purchase the ticket. Once you have purchased, you cannot change anything associated with your ticket. Everything is an added cost - buyer beware!!!

aarond66
5/3/18

The staff isn't good. They aren't courteous. Not enough leg space for long journeys. Overall i would not recommend this airlines and I hate to travel again.

edw951
4/6/18

In general, UNITED has delivered consistent above average service until a recent experience (early April 2018) using the airlines for a company business trip:

1) TSA precheck. I had no issues, but my co-worker with identical TSA precheck demographics -- we both gave KTN to our company travel service - could not get precheck. We had both paid for it months ago. He was told at terminal by UNITED staff that they could see his KTN, but he was "not selected" to receive precheck -- even though it was a prepaid service! So, be warned of inconsistencies! I'm always paranoid of electronic glitches so I actually went on the web site days in advance to verify my precheck status and found initially it was NOT linked to my ticket until I attached my frequent traveler # -- which was provided to travel agent in advance.

2) DELAY in connection - failure to communicate. I arrived at gate thinking I had 20 mins before boarding.... NO overhead announcement... NO change in boarding or take-off time posted at gate... NO web site announcement on my UNITED app... NO email push notification. End result: boarding 30 mins late, Take off 1 hr late. Arriving plane for my flight was late -- overhead staff talking. TOO BAD staff knew & passengers did not. The hour delay resulted in loss of chance to register & participate in work activities later that evening (only 10 min ride to hotel, so I would have had 45-50 mins if on time).

Lessons: be very compulsive about TSA precheck if you fly this airlines, or they might randomly choose not to give you the service you had PAID for in advance. Be pro-active about inquiring about delays because you might get NO notification whatsover - email, text, overhead, or gate!!

ivanak2
3/20/18

On February 9th, 2018 I was scheduled to depart from Pittsburgh International Airport at 10:48AM (UA flight 590) and was scheduled to land at 11:30AM at Chicago OHare International Airport. As I was doing my standard check -In at the kiosk machine I encountered an issue when obtaining my boarding pass.
For some reason, I was no longer allowed to bring a small purse and a very-small gym bag (which weighed less than 2Ibs) as a carry on. Assuming that there had been some error with the machine I had kindly asked for a representative to help me with obtaining my boarding pass. Without even looking at my items she told me that I would have to pay for the gym bag and check it in with a fee of 25$.
I kindly obliged but was in complete shock that you would have people pay 25$ for a carry on item that: 1) fit in the required parameter to be a carry on 2) should be allowed as a second carry on as a whole since I only had a small purse 3) the flight was not fully booked and there was plenty of space ON the aircraft for the item.
If you could kindly reimburse the 25$ that would be greatly appreciated since this fee was completely unmerited and unnecessary. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

howardp8
3/10/18

Nicely run with the occasional bad incident where they toss out a passenger. However, on the whole not a bad place.

johns2635
2/21/18

Such a bad airline!!! Sitting waiting for a late inbound aircraft for the 3ed time. last month when I took United the plain was late for no listed cause, then the next day my replacement flight was delayed and to get home I ended up having to take a trip the third day with a 5 then 4 hour flight instead of one 5 hour flight. Now here I am again. I take Delta allot and they are so much better and always on time. If they had more flights out of Medford OR I would never fly united. Most of the time I will pay for the Delta flight even those I get the united one for free with work. The seats are so crammed in united and unconfutable. The main cabin seats in Delta have the same legroom as the United economy plus. It is half the price to upgrade to better leg room in Delta and they give you designated overhead storage and a free alcoholic beverage. Good thing for United people sometimes do not have a choice or no one would fly them.

shawnh64
12/30/17

At www.keystonepuppies.com we use United Airlines frequently to help new pet owners receive there new family member safely. They are knowledgeable and have a great Pet Safe program for shipping. I feel confident when using there service that each pet they received will be handled with the utmost compassion.

shamiekaj
6/6/17

Nice service, just need to either give 1 free luggage or lower the luggage price. Staff was very nice and caring.

alexs421
4/24/17

There's not much to say: My favorite Airline ever since! Never had any problems and you know what: I will never use a different Airline. United all the way!

kenl67
4/11/17

from what I see in the British Newspapers , of how they treat their customers.

arielc13
1/17/17

Your customer service is the worst! Why do you send your calls to 3rd world countries where the workers can say and do whatever they want? My flight was messed up, was told it was cancelled when it wasn't, was told I had seats reserved on a flight when I didn't. Your incompetent "customer support" agents know nothing about support. I sent an email and filed a case and it still hasn't been answered. I've been through hell with your airline.

bethanyh10
12/7/16

We recently took a trip to New Zealand and booked our flight on United Airlines. We flew from Dayton to Chicago to LAX to Auckland. Thankfully they chartered Air New Zealand for the LAX to Auckland flight. However, we were stuck in a 'retro' 777 on our trip back from Auckland to San Francisco. Yikes. The plane was packed as well making our flight even more painful as could not stretch. The seats COULD NOT have been more painful.

shawns48
11/22/16

Bagge prices suck

andrews179
4/29/16

United is an embarrassment to the airline industry. Nothing goes right. I always go out of way to avoid United, which can be difficult if one flies to or through O'Hare.

royr42
4/21/16

The cabin was comfortable, staff were very kind, and prices manageable. Would recommend to friends!!

lorenac9
3/30/16

United airlines... what can I niot say about them.. They are expensive... their Airplanes (atleast the ones I flew on) are old, smelly and dirty. They charge you for almost everything on board. You want to eat? you pay. you want some earphones? you pay. you want a blanky? you pay. you want something to drink? you pay. You can't take more than one luggage even for international flights. Even their business class is alwful. There is nothing good to say about this Airlines.

tiat8
3/1/16

They changed my seating without my knowledge and put me by the exit door.. then told me i could switch my seat, but when i returned my flight had left me 20 MINUTES EARLY!. .
Then they promised me the next flight, two hours later... which ended up being to full! SO they switched me to American Airlines which didn't board for another 6 hours from then!!!!

They tried to make it up to me by giving me vouchers for my next flight and food and cab service... but everywhere i went WOULDNT ACCEPT MY DAMN vouchers!! Then they told me because I accepted them, they couldn't alter or change them so that I could. I will NEVER FLY with them AGAIN. EVER!!!

jerks.

michellel114
2/24/16

Traveled out of Newark Airport to the Dominican Republic. Got there and was told my luggage wasn't on the flight. No one knew where it was. Was then told it never got put on the plane. Went back and forth with United which took 3 days to finally get. Had to pay out of pocket for clothing toothbrush shoes etc. Living Social booked the trip which sent us to the wrong destination then had to take a 6 hour cab ride and United would not waive the $200 fee to switch our flight back to the right airport. Living Social sent us to Punta Cana our hotel was in Puerto Plata. Never ever fly United Airlines!

Tip for consumers: NEVER EVER FLY THIS AIRLINE !

bethc42
2/16/16

always delay, horrible airlines

russm12
2/11/16

It is okay at best. Not so happy about the information lagging.

rodneys32
2/8/16

I travel alot for my business and thought i would give united a "go". What a joke this company is. I can remember when it was such a wonderful experience to fly and you were treated like royalty, and now we are simply treated like a herd of cattle on and off the plane you go, and dont dare ask any questions or for some simple service!!! And where do these glorified waitresses in the sky get off acting like there s%&$ dont stink. Im done with you United, will never fly the unfriendly skies again!!!!!

briannew1
1/9/16

doing business with this site always has a good outcome for me. Though I'm not really satisfied, still the customer service always has an idea how to deal with flight delays.

38 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the United Airlines staff and other customers.

United Airlines?