Review of Uncommongoods

Tel: 888.365.0056
help@uncommongoods.com

frankn21
12/23/15

This is the second year we ordered from them for Christmas
1st year was bad, the item was useless and we shipped it back
We gave them a try again this year because my daughter really wanted to buy something for my wife for Christmas.
To make a long story short, we received the item 3 times and it was defective every time.
We had ordered a soapstone serving tray and the item includes 2 of the flat stones. Needless to say they banged against each other, chipping both of them in the process.
On the 3rd try, I told them to package it differently which they did, but one of the stones had a chip anyway. They probably have a warehouse full of banged up merchandise which they ship out. We did get to keep the 2 prior orders, but I didn't even bother calling them back on the 3rd try. I will never order from them again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We feel awful that you've had such continual frustrations while shopping with us. This is exceedingly unusual. We have had a few complaints about the soapstone tray and the wine glasses with stones and we've alerted our warehouse to these problems so they can pack the items differently. It's our goal to make sure that all items arrive in good shape and feedback such as yours helps us improve our processes. We'd hate for you to have damaged merchandise that you paid for - please contact me directly at jen@uncommongoods.com so I can get this resolved for you.
aa1207
12/17/15

1. Company false advertises production and delivery times for products. Promised on website proof takes two days - count on a week. Add on another week for production and shipment.

2. Customer service runs you around for a week, delaying the inevitable news they cannot get your order in time. Ruining a very special Christmas Surprise for my family

3. Department which deals with personalized orders very condescending, rude, and essentially useless in making anything happen. Really no accountability for ruining someone's christmas.

Safe yourself the hassle and overpriced prices - work with Etsy. Support local artists and stay away from this soulless corporate conglomerate

Happy Holidays!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
That sounds really frustrating and we're so sorry to hear about this! We'd love to try to make this right - feel free to reach out to me directly so we can look into this further. I can be reached directly at jen@uncommongoods.com
micheler20
11/28/15

Artwork was NOT shipped on time and is not being delivered on time for the event - actually at this writing, UPS says delivery will be 5 days after the latest date promised. After numerous emails and phone calls from me to Uncommon Goods confirming that it would be delivered before the event, it will NOT be (even though I paid for 3 day shipping). At first, I was just told sorry, it was shipped late and will not arrive as promised - they said the artist sent it out late. Uncommon Goods said there was nothing they could do about it until one supervisor in custom products - Maleeza (888-398-3542, x2488) said she would have the artist redo the painting and ship overnight. I was so thankful and happy but this never happened. It was never redone or shipped. Terrible and heartbreaking for all the people flying in from around the country to be at this event to give this gift, shame on Uncommon Goods and its artist.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for telling us about this, Michele. This was definitely not the experience we wanted you to have. The manager of the custom orders team will be reaching out to you shortly to offer a resolution. Many apologies from all of us.
jonathanw61
11/23/15

I made an online order after business hours. I accidentally added an additional item of what I was ordering. I called but they were closed. I called the next morning. I was told my order was already being processed, though it hadn't left the warehouse.
They have no mechanism to stop the order once the processing had started. I was told I would have to wait for my item to arrive and than send it back to them.
So it finally arrived and I was just told I will have to wait 2 days for them to email me the email containing my shipping label, than 5 to 7 business days to get my money back. On top of having to make time during the day to mail it back.
Furthermore the supervisor was kind of rude to me.
The fact that they can't cancel or amend an order before the items left the warehouse (just several hours after I made the order) is ridiculous. I never want to order from them again and I suggest you do the same.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Jonathan. While it is true that we start picking and packing orders very quickly and we cannot recall orders sent with Economy shipping, there are some details in your message that make me want to do a bit of digging to see what exactly happened here. I'd love to be able to look up your order and get to the bottom of this. I'd also like to see if there's anything that we could have done to make this a better experience (and I suspect that there are indeed ways that we could have made this easier on you). I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly so I can begin my research and find a better solution here. I can be reached at jen@uncommongoods.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
erinb34
11/17/15

I recently purchased a product that Uncommon Goods claimed had been made in the USA. And imagine my surprise to find a big, fat "Made in China" stamped in huge letters on the bottom of the packaging. For a company who claims to carefully vet and verify the provenance of all the items they sell, this felt like a huge miss. Customer service did respond to my complaint quickly, but they couldn't provide me any information about the procedures they have in place for checking the origins of their products, didn't seem all that concerned or apologetic, and told me I'd have to print out a shipping label and drive to a UPS store and mail the product back to them if I wanted a refund ... And now they're just ignoring me. Seems to me that a certified B Corp should show a little more concern for truth in labeling, not to mention the huge carbon footprint that me returning the product to them would create. Worst of all, I notified them of their error four days ago and they still haven't taken the "Made in the USA" stamp off the product description on their website! Uncommon Goods is neither particularly uncommon, nor particularly good. If you are looking to make ethical purchases from a company you can trust and feel good about supporting, look elsewhere. These guys are either inept or willfully deceiving customers ... not sure which is worse.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for contacting us and alerting us to this mistake. Our website has been updated and this item now clearly states that it is made in China. We hate to make mistakes like this and appreciate that you took the time to help us correct this. I'll contact you directly so we can figure out an easier way for you to return the product.
laurae24
9/28/15

Item ordered on Sept 18, was supposed to be shipped by Sept 25 and delivered by October 2. I paid $50 to ship a $100 item to ensure it would arrive by October 2. I called today and spoke with the most useless customer service rep. He put me on hold 5 times he had no idea even what shipping company they were using. Come to find out it the item is being shipped to New Jersey for October 1 and then they have no idea what date it is actually going to get to me (in western Canada). All he could say is that it might get to me by October 2. I had to explain to him several times there was no way an item would get from the eastern United States to Western Canada in one day. They would not allow me to cancel the order. Now I am left with a late wedding gift. Which they have no idea when that will arrive. The entire order was supposed to be delivered to me at my house by October 2 instead they shipped it to NJ for October 1. VERY bad customer service. Avoid using this company

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a difficult time with one of our representatives today. I'll follow up with you directly via email. Thanks for speaking up about this and giving us a chance to make it right!
katelynj2
9/11/15

You can find a very unique product with friendly customer service.

katieh29
3/23/15

I absolutely adore this site - there is nothing like it, at least anywhere I've seen. Even Etsy, which I also love for unique gifts and products, isn't like this. It can be a little pricey on some items, but they are such special items I feel it's worth it. And they do have a category "Under $25" if you're definitely needing something on the more frugal side.

suzyk5
1/12/15

I called Customer Service to inquire about a pictured product. I wanted to see if all the items pictured were included. I was told they were. I was placed on hold so the Customer Service rep could "check to be sure." And again, told yes. When I received the order, the tumbler was not included in the order and when I asked, I was told it wasn't included. When I said that I was told it was, via PHONE call, they said if I wasn't happy I could return it, at my expense for a refund. They really didn't care if I was happy or not. When I said I wanted to be removed from their email list, they did so immediately. Further, in order to post a review on their website, you need to give them access to you personal Facebook information. What a crock. Stay away from UnCommonGoods.

UPDATE April 2015: I never received anything from the Customer Service rep who responded here. Additionally, although I had made it clear when I originally ordered that I did not want any information mailed to my home, today I received a catalog. At this point, I'd label them, "all talk, no action."

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Suzy. You're right: the product in question did show a glass and it wasn't clear to us at the time that it didn't come with the glass and our agent should have offered you a prepaid postage label to return the item. We're terribly sorry about both issues and we're addressing them now. Please let us know if there are any other concerns you'd like to share with us - we need to hear the good and the bad in order to improve. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to discuss this or any other issues: jen@uncommongoods.com
ayche
1/5/15

I made three orders with this company.

One order had a missing item, which they promptly replaced.

One order was a custom book and the name was spelled wrong. They promptly replaced this item as well.

I accidentally ordered two of the custom books, and I contacted them as soon as I realized this. They told me they would ask the artist if I could be refunded. They never sent me any other follow-up, but they did cancel the duplicate charge on my bank card. I assumed this meant that I was being refunded, as they left on the charge for the first book order and took off the charge for the second book order.

After I contacted them about the two previous orders above that they messed up, they promptly threw the $100 charge back on my bank card (TWO WEEKS after they had took it off and only charged me for one). Seeing as how I ordered the duplicate book on the EXACT SAME DAY as the first book (so it should have been charged/shipped/received the same day as the first), it's obvious they purposefully charged me an extra $100 after initially deciding to refund it to me.

Perhaps they were frustrated that I pointed out their own errors in my two previous orders? I'll never know, because they (surprise) never answered my inquiry about why they suddenly changed their mind about the duplicate book two weeks later.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Sorry for the frustrations you encountered! If the issue still hasn't been fully resolved, please contact us right away at help@uncommongoods.com or 888-365-0056 and ask for a supervisor.

As for those charges, it sounds like what you were seeing were pending authorizations for some number of days and then the actual charges when the order/s shipped. When someone attempts to place an order with a retailer, the funds are automatically put in a ‘pending’ status by the bank and the amount is put on hold. When the order ships, the merchant will collect these funds and the purchase amount will be debited from the account. We cannot collect funds for an order until the order ships, and this means that for custom orders such as yours, the lag between the pending authorization and the time when the order ships can be weeks.

Please do contact us if there are other concerns that we can address.
jeans31
1/4/15

I used to love this site. They have unusual things and I usually find something for Christmas gifts. This year I ordered right after Thanksgiving and got my order confirmation back. I waited and waited but never got a shipping confirmation. So I called - must have been holiday help because no matter how I explained that I wanted to know when it was shipping, the woman helping me just resent the order confirmation. I waited a few more days, then called again. This time the woman said it would ship out around Dec. 10th. I heard nothing - called back a third time around Dec. 12 th and this time I was told they had no idea what happened to the order. They were delighted to reorder for me - but unfortunately the items I really wanted were no longer available. When I finally got the few things I did order I found that the one item I had ordered 4 of were not as pictured in the catalog.
Items next year are going to have to be awfully good for me to want to try again with this company.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We'd love to look into this and discover why your order shipped later than you were told. Unfortunately, this review site doesn't give us enough information to locate our customers in our database, which makes it difficult to address concerns properly. That said, we'd love to make this right. If you haven't already, please contact our Customer Service department at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com. We'll do our best to turn this experience around!
katherinef2
12/25/14

Uncommon Goods has failed miserably. I ordered a piece of jewelry, paid almost $200 for it and have gotten nothing but runarounds from their customer support. They claim to have shipped it out three times but the tracking numbers supplied are not responding. Now that Christmas is passed, I no longer need this gift (had to buy another item), and have told my credit card company to pull back the money. Run from this company/do not walk!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Oh, that's awful news, Katherine! Please reach out to customer service directly if you haven't already and ask for a supervisor. They can be reached at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com. We're looking forward to hearing from you!
ryanm64
12/18/14

This is the worst online purchasing experience I've ever had. They can't provide me with a tracking number but assure me that my item is on it's way. My credit card hasn't even been charged yet. I have called and IM'ed numerous times over the last week and get the same run-around every time I call "the personalized department is backed up and there's an issue with uploading tracking numbers - we'll have someone call you." Nobody every calls me back. I've only received emails back after I have called enough times to annoy them. I paid extra for faster delivery but they can't even tell me for sure when or if it shipped. Like I said, worst customer service ever!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We'd love to follow up with you about this order and see what we can do to make amends. If you haven't already, please contact our Customer Service department at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com. We'll do our best to make this right!
richardc91
12/14/14

Great. A place to shop for someone who has everything. Cool items that you don't find just anywhere.

kristinn5
12/12/14

Uncommongoods has some great and unique gifts, but they have one huge problem: customer service. I had some questions about my order date and I called and emailed multiple times to get the information. I was told my order would arrive before Christmas, but later, in an email, I was told that my order would be later than Christmas. It seems like there is no commuication there, even though I provided my order number with every call and email. Several times when I called, the representative told me that they did not have the information I was looking for, but that they would have someone get back to me the next day. Not once did someone ever get back to me the next day and I always had to call again to follow up. The customer service aspect was very very frustrating.

So, go ahead and order if you don't have a time contraint and if you think you will have no questions about your order. But good luck if you have to deal with the hell of their customer service department!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for sharing your feedback, Kristin. I'm so sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been awesome. While difficult to hear, it's important to receive feedback such as yours so that we can continue to improve. If you still require resolution, feel free to contact me directly. I'll send you a private message with my contact information.
bt21
12/2/14

I liked what I saw on your site and was ready to share insight with a product I would like to put on the market, however this complaint I came across is very disturbing.

Uncommon Goods/uncommongoods.com
Posted: WillyWonka
UNCOMMON GOODS SUPPORTS THEFT FROM ARTISTS!
Complaint Rating:
Contact information:
Uncommon Goods/uncommongoods.com
United States
THIS COMPANY SELLS STOLEN ARTIST DESIGNS! Even after being notified, with documentation and websearch info ('kelly O'Neal + swindler' or 'design legacy + thieves'), this dishonest, unethical, greedy company still sells designs and merchandise stolen from Dallas-area artists! What's wrong with so-called 'businesspeople' these days that they think no one cares how evil and dishonest they are? PLEASE LET THIS COMPANY KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF CRIMINAL ENTERPRISES AND WEBSITES THAT SUPPORT THEM! Thank you for your help!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
UncommonGoods supports independent artists who represent and validate that their work is original - we go out of our way to highlight their names and tell their stories, as you can see throughout our site.

To the best of our recollection, the “Willy Wonka” comment you are referring to was the result of an internal dispute more than 5 years ago between a design company we once worked with and one of their former business associates.

Here is a link to some of their online exchange:

ginaa3
10/2/14

Ok, my item is still on the way after almost a month waiting

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Gina! Sorry to hear that your order is taking such a long time. We'd like to look into this for you. Please contact us at help@uncommongoods.com or at 888-365-0056. We're looking forward to hearing from you!
scottb63
12/27/13

It took them 10 days to ships something to me for Christmas. Of Course it came after Christmas. You would think that would make it a priority for items purchased before Christmas. I Just received it on the 27th.

I wouldn't buy from these guys again. They are not focusing on the consumer.

markh93
12/20/13

Yes they have a lot of unique items but don't try to return anything! I sent something back and after 3 1/2 weeks I'm still waiting for my money back! I've contacted their customer service reps. , 3 took my info and said I would get a phone call. Still waiting for that to happen. The other rep was a complete idiot who kept saying my item was personalized/custom and couldn't understand that it was a normal item listed on their website and in their catalog. I finally ended that session after an hour of trying to get through to her!
If you find something you like on UG I would search the web to find it someplace else or make damn sure you are not going to return it!

tracye1
10/12/11

Uncommon goods has some really unique and interesting products: laser pointers, recycled items made into jewelry, pill cases, baby items, wallets & bags, decorations, games, crafts, plates & bowls, glasses, & lots more. This really is my 'go to' spot for the really-hard-to-buy for people in my life!

I think some of the prices are on the high side, but I love the sales!

Fun, quirky, unique! Very good customer service, too!

lesleys2
4/9/11

A place to shop for someone who has everything. Alot of "green" gifts by re-use/re-cycling. Cool items that you don't find just anywhere.

kelsiek
3/20/11

if you are a fan of Etsy, you'll find yourself falling absolutely in love with UncommonGoods. The items they offer are similar to those found on Etsy, but the website is much easier to browse- especially if you're looking for something specific. Additionally, the website offers many handmade items as well as recycled items, so you'll still have the option to help out the artist community and be green-friendly.

I really love this website and highly recommend it.

tn1
1,585 helpful votes
7/12/09

I've bought a number of ridiculous items from this website for babies of friends. One of those items included the peepee teepee (http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=13271; I have yet to find out if it really works). A lot of the products for babies are organic, colorful and/or old school (no flashing lights or buttons to push), and I just love sorting through that kind of stuff. I had absolutely no problems with the purchases, and my friends loved the goods.

We'll email your tracking number on the day the order ships. If you need anything else, please contact our CS team at help@uncommongoods.com

By Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Uncommongoods staff and other customers.

Uncommongoods?