Review of Uncommongoods

Tel: 888.365.0056
help@uncommongoods.com

rhondaj22
12/22/16

I ordered an item on December 10 and paid for 3-8 business day delivery. I followed the tracking information which stated in process so on Dec 19 I called and was told by a rep that I would receive the item Dec 22. Not true. The item will not be here until Dec 27. So much for my sons Christmas!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
That's terrible, Rhonda! We're so sorry that we didn't get the order to you in time. We'd like to look into what caused the delay with shipping your order and we'd like to make sure that you've been credited your shipping fees. We can be reached at feedback@uncommongoods.com or you can email me directly at jen@uncommongoods.com
catherinec68
12/22/16

December 1st I ordered two personalized pictures. The first one came on December 19th,wrong picture, Called advised them,sent picture of picture plus shipping label. Back and forth emails with no definitive answer. I asked them to send a shipping label so I could send the wrong picture back. Customer service told me I can't send it back until the original owner complains of non receipt.What!! Finally,today they advised me they will reorder my original order. Again I asked for a shipping label to return item. Still no response. I have paid over $500.00 for different items from this company but after this no more. It may have started off as a good company but now it's gone downhill with mix ups and shipping

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
There are many lessons for us here. Thank you for sharing this with us. We're all so very sorry for everything that's gone wrong.

SiteJabber doesn't give us enough information to be able to tie a review to a customer, so we'll be sending you a private message shortly. We're anxious to hear from you so we can try to make this right.
bradh54
12/22/16

Seems to be a common theme, I ordered on 12/13, chose shipping option to be here by 12/21, as of 12/22, product has not shipped warehouse. I would avoid unless you want a barren looking Christmas tree this year.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We did purposely hold some orders in our warehouse for a few days but we upgraded shipping at no cost to the customers. However, your order should have arrived within the time frame you selected. I'm really sorry that your order was a day late. I'd like to make sure that we've credited your shipping fees. I can be reached at jen@uncommongoods.com
aronh27
12/21/16

I used them last year and all was good. This year, however, nothing but bad.
I ordered my items on Dec 11 (all items listed as "in stock"). As of Dec 19, they had not shipped. I did get one item well over a week late. The second has yet to ship (today is the 21st). I was issued a tracking number for this item, yet mysteriously, it did not work. Only to find out that it in fact had not shipped, contrary to the shipping notification. I have gotten two different stories from the customer service reps, and am told I will have it by Friday (which I highly doubt). I will not be using this company again.
Also, Jennifer G. [uncommon goods rep], please do me the favor of not insulting me with the same "I'm sorry for this mix up. I would like to follow up and investigate this further" crap. You have spewed this on every bad review, and if you have not been able to figure out the problem after all this time and bad reviews, then you need a new occupation. Might I suggest something other than detective. If you are really interested in solving the problem...then try closing the business. That should do it.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I've sent you a private message, Aron. I'd love to try to help!
lr54
12/21/16

As many others have noted, I experienced problems with receiving an order in the timeframe stated on the website. My order was placed on Dec 12th and when choosing shipping options selected the option that said the order would ship by Dec 16th and arrive by Dec 21st.

On Dec 19th the item had no shipping information and was still listed as in progress so I contacted customer support via chat and was notified by support that it would arrive by the 23rd. Unfortunately, I would be out of town on that date, hence why I purposefully choose the shipping method (and paid extra for it) as it stated the item would arrive by the 21st. Upon discussion with Genesis, a very kind customer support staffer, she told me it would arrive by the 22nd. I notified her that due to travel plans I would need it by the 21st or I asked if it would be possible to delay shipping until the I would return so that it would not be potentially exposed to winter conditions.

Ultimately I was notified that I would either need to provide an alternative shipping address or have it held at the UPS hub. Neither of these options are suitable -- I do not want to transport this gift back from where I will be staying, my friends and neighbors are also planning on being out of town for the holidays, and visiting the UPS hub would require me to take time off work and is logistically challenging.

I subsequently asked for my order to be cancelled as I do not want to risk this item being ruined by exposure to weather. I can't stress enough how disappointed I am by this outcome, but there was no way I wanted the item sitting outside in the snow, rain, and wind for over a week. I have ordered and been given gifts from this company multiple times and have always been happy with the products and customer service.

This is incredibly frustrating as this could have been avoided with more accurate information on the website. I saw the statement at the top of the page stating that custom orders could take extra time, however, as the shipping info said it would arrive by the 21st, I assumed that would take into account the extra time needed for custom items. Had the arrival date not included a window with the latest date being Dec 21st, I would not have selected that option, and I would have ultimately waited to place my order until I knew it would arrive at a time I would be home.

Jan 10th 2016 Update

In response to Jen's comment, I contacted uncommongoods and was able to resolve my shipping issues. The order arrived on Jan 9th and looks great. I worked with Jen throughout the process to come up with a resolution. She was quick to respond and immediately helped to take care of a billing/credit issue that came up even after we had decided on a plan. I received a beautiful product so I'm glad we were able to make things work.

Tip for consumers: Shipping dates incredibly unreliable.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We are so very sorry that we weren't able to get your order to you on the date we promised. We'd like to look into your order to see exactly where it all went wrong so we can prevent this from happening again. We would really appreciate it if you could email your name or order number to feedback@uncommongoods.com so we can start our investigation and see if there's anything else we can do for you.
caseys39
12/20/16

I ordered an item on 12/10/16. It said it was in stock and "will ship by 12/16/16. Never got shipping notification so on 14th, 16th, and 16th again I sent e-mails. No response. The 17th I called customer service and after 2 people and 20 minutes I got told that it was a custom piece-which it was not- and that it had in fact shipped and I would get it on the 21st. They told me there couldn't give me a tracking no. Guess why. Today is the 20th and I just got an e-mail stating that it shipped today-from OREGON. I am on Long Island- 1/2 hr from Brooklyn-where Uncommon goods is located.I have no faith that I will see this in time for Christmas and since I was told it was scheduled for Wens the 21st I did not get anything else for my daughter's new Fiancé- this was over $200.00 already. Wish I had seen these reviews before I wasted so much time. It doesn't matter wether it's nice or not if I don't have it for Christmas- Thanks for making me look like a fool...

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
What a frustrating experience you've had - we're so sorry! We'd like to look into your order further and see if there's anything we can do to help. Please email your name or order number to feedback@uncommongoods.com so we can get started. We're looking forward to hearing from you!
sarahb260
12/20/16

Terrible customer service. I order 2 things, one for a Christmas present and another item that was back-ordered until January, but I ordered it anyways for a January birthday present. I ordered the Christmas present with expedited shipping. Today I was supposed to get the shipment email for the item that was in stock, but instead the back-ordered item is being shipped. I started a chat with a Kelvin C. who was nothing but rude from the beginning. His first response to me was that the IN STOCK item would be delivered on the 27th, even though I ordered it 10 days before WITH EXPRESS SHIPPING. I told him how I ordered the express shipping because I was guaranteed a delivery date before the 24th. His response was that my item was arriving before Christmas. I corrected him by copying and pasting his very first comment and reminding him that the 27th is AFTER Christmas. He apologized (for probably thinking I was a space-case), but then only offered me a refund on my shipping. Unfortunately, that really does me no good as now I need to get a new Christmas present. It makes no sense to me that items in stock are being shipped out after back-ordered items. We'll see if they even get the refund right. The site has great stuff, but I don't plan to return or recommend to others.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry about all of this, Sarah! This never should have happened. I'd like to look into this for you and see if there's anything we can do to make this right. If you email feedback@uncommongoods.com with your name and/or order number we can get to work on this for you.
nicoled66
12/19/16

I ordered 4 items on Dec 3, 2016. I was told 1 item would not be shipped until 12/16.....I order anyway because it would be in time for Christmas, right?.....WRONG!

It is the eve of 12/19. I never received a call/ email etc...that this was delayed. I called this early afternoon 12/19 to get some info and spoke to a very ignorant customer service rep Sapphire James. Her immediate attitude was one of disgust and off-put to be dealing with the issue. She quickly rushed me off the phone saying,she would call the company and get back to me with an answer.

Few hours later, no email. So I call again. Waiting over 30 min to talk to someone, then I got transferred back to Sapphire who immediately was aggressive towards me. No appologizes, her answer, I haven't heard anything....

I explained this was a Christmas gift I need for 12/24 and I am nervous it might not come on time. She then put,me,on hold another 10-15 min....and miraculously got and answer it would ship today??!! Question, why could she not do that the 11st time arou d??

She said not to worry I,already paid for expedited shipping so it would get to me in 2 days.

This was at 3:45 pm. I asked her for an email with the garentee and/or tracking. NOPE, she couldn't do that, it comes from another dept was the answer, and was extremely unprofessional in her conversation with me. I forced the issue so she just sent me an email stating a tracking would be sent once it is shipped......she also hung up on me. Unbelievable!

9:33pm EST, guess what....no tracking number!!! So it is now 3 days passed my guarantee. Looks like I will be calling the company again tomorrow.

Love that as a customer it is I who has to do the follow up. It is now looking like AT BEST I will not get this item until 12/23. Again that is assuming it ships tomorrow.

This was my 1st and ONLY time I will use this company. HORRIBLE experience and I intend to share my story on every media outlet I can.

DO NOT USE!!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm so very sorry for this entire experience. There are many (many) things that we could have done better and I'm so sorry that we dropped the ball repeatedly. I'd like to look into this myself to understand exactly where in our process things started going poorly and look for ways to prevent that from happening again. I'd also like to look into the calls and emails with our representatives - it's pretty clear that we could have done a much better job. Please email feedback@uncommongoods.com with your name and/or order number so I can get to the bottom of all of this and check on your order. Address the email to Jen so I can find it faster. I really want to make sure that you have your order by 12/23 and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
renem52
12/18/16

I ordered 3 things on Dec 3. Two of them were not even shipped as of Dec. 18. They say they will reship. I have my doubts. Nice customer service, terrible shipping service.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for letting us know about this problem, Rene. I'd like to take a look at your order and make sure that it is arriving on time. I know that our warehouse has been automatically upgrading orders to ensure on-time delivery. Please email feedback@uncommongoods.com with your name and/or order number so I can get started. I've got all of my fingers crossed that your order arrives on time despite our shipping delay.
kristint14
12/16/16

I ordered a Christmas gift for my parents on 11/10/16. I figured this was plenty of time for the item to arrive and was told my delivery would be the beginning of December and I would receive shipping notification when it went out. I contacted the company numerous times to find out why I wasn't receiving shipping notifications. The information I got from Customer Service was different each time, however, each time, I was told it would arrive before Christmas. Until this week when I finally got a tracking number (not via email as promised) from the customer service rep who informed me that it would arrive in New Jersey on Dec 20 (I live in Toronto, Canada) and then it would be an additional 4-11 days after that. So now I am stuck without a Christmas gift, on Christmas, for my parents and the gift itself was not cheap. This business is unreliable and I can only conclude that customer service doesn't really know what is going on as I never received a consistent answer. Very disappointed.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm so very sorry that your order was so delayed. I'd like to look into why this happened. Orders for items that are in-stock and shipping to Canada absolutely should have arrived in plenty of time for Christmas so I'd like to find out what caused the shipping delay. I'd really love to hear from you. If you email feedback@uncommongoods.com with your name and/or order number I'll start my investigation and I'll see what can be done.
jonathanf46
12/15/16

"The customer service, personalized artist services are the worst ever. I am beyond disgusted with this company and discourage anyone reading this to go someplace else. I ordered a personalized gift, the proof took a week after it stated it would, the proof had incorrect information, I had to call 9 times about my order, on hold for 15 minutes each time, until someone got a manager to "take care" of the order. I then received a 2nd proof that was again incorrect. Never again. Spent way over $150 for garbage."

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for letting us know about these problems, Jonathan. This sounds like an incredibly frustrating experience and I'd like to look into this personally and see if there's anything we can do for you. I'd appreciate it if you could email us your name and/or order number to help@uncommongoods.com (address the email to Jen, please). I'll keep an eye out for your email. Sincere apologies, Jen
valerieb46
12/15/16

Initially two of four orders placed with Uncommon Goods were not going to ship in time for the recipients to receive their gifts before Christmas due to holiday travel. After emailing Uncommon Goods Customer Service, Jennifer and Gloria contacted me, collected the information needed to research and expedite the orders and reached out to the Artist in California. Both items are now being shipped overnight and will arrive on time. Jennifer and Gloria's professionalism restored my faith, and they're an example of Uncommon Goods standard of We'll never stop working to provide a remarkable shopping experience to our customers." Thanks again, Jennifer and Gloria!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so very sorry for the confusing shipping dates and for the service you received. I'd like to follow up on this for you. Can you please email me at jen@uncommongoods.com with your name and/or order number so I can see what can be done?
saras155
12/2/16

Whatever is in the picture is not included and when I asked for the missing item I was asked to pay $30 more in order to have the complete set . Very dishonest and bad service I never buy anything again from this company

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry for the confusion, Sara! We do our best to make it clear what's being ordered, but clearly we could have done a better job here. We include 'sold separately' or similar language in our item copy and the drop-down menu lists the available options. Still, if someone were in a hurry, we can see how this could be overlooked. We're so sorry that you didn't have an awesome experience!
adamv18
6/28/16

I asked them for the shipping dimensions of a package and they gave me totally incorrect information. This led to the package costing significantly more than it should have. Instead of refunding me the different (which they claimed they were incapable of doing because apparently they don't know how to use PayPal) they insisted that the whole thing be returned.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry for the problems you ran into with your order! We do our best to calculate the size of the shipping box, but ultimately the size of the box used is at our packer's discretion. Depending on the item/s being shipped they may need to use more packing material than expected (ie: it's a fragile item) or they can use a far smaller box (ie: it's an unbreakable item such as socks, a tie, or a pillow). Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you - our customer service team can be reached at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com
sarahp128
6/17/16

First of all, I love their unique and weird gifts. It makes shopping for my family or husband so much easier. I ordered some gifts for Father's Day. I followed the tracking and it was finally delivered by USPS. However, when I went to get my package from the mail room, it was not there like it said. I called Uncommon Goods customer service and was immediately speaking to a real person. They apologized for the situation. My problem was resolved within 5 minutes, they resubmitted my order and shipped it express through UPS (obviously no cost to me) AND refunded my original shipping costs that I paid. Although I would have loved to receive my package when it was suppose to originally come, but I was so impressed on how their customer service quickly and efficiently handled my situation, which was USPS's fault.

joyceh47
5/26/16

Ordered a birthday gift for a friend. Received it in a timely manner,, it was packed expertly so it came in good condition. Couldn't ask for better service, this is the second order I have done through this site and I was also happy with that order. I believe it is a great site with good service.

Joyce Halter

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so happy to hear that you had such a great experience! Thanks for shopping with us!
kristag
3/31/16

I order 3 items on March 17. I was trying to buy a gift for a friend's birthday on April 2 and the checkout said the order would arrive by March 31. So today, March 31, I look for the order. Nothing. I contact the site, and they say "oh one of the items is backordered so we aren't shipping the order until April 20." Never mind what the check out told me or the fact that they charged by credit card on March 17. They never even sent me an email to tell me what was going on. I would never shop at this dishonest, incompetent site.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We clearly did not do a good job of communicating that the order wasn't available to ship right away, and we're deeply sorry. We'd love to hear from you so we can make this right. We can be reached at 888-365-0056 or I can be reached directly at jen@uncommongoods.com. I hope to hear from you soon!
sherylb8
3/10/16

For our grandson's birthday, we ordered him a personalized book. When it arrived, we were overwhelmed. The hard cover book was beautifully written and illustrated with all the correct details. We LOVE it and our grandson will, no doubt, love it, too! The book arrived well ahead of schedule and was well packaged. Kudos to all at Uncommon Goods. We will shop again for other unique gifts!
Dr. Sheryl R. Bair

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so happy that you found the perfect gift and had a great experience! We'll be sure to share your feedback with our custom orders team. Thanks for taking the time to write - we appreciate it!
bruceb85
2/16/16

I ordered a gift for my girlfriend for valentine's day. It was supposed to come by the 11th. I get an email saying it would arrive on the 15th, a day late. I ask about getting my shipping refunded. Then on the 15th when it doesn't arrive I call them only to find out that it is no longer coming to me at all so now instead of a late valentine's day gift, I have none.

Tip for consumers: don't use it

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry to have missed this delivery date. We had no idea that UPS would have so many hiccups on the way to delivering this. I see that you've already been refunded in full and a replacement is on the way. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do. custom@uncommongoods.com
angelam94
2/8/16

My daughter received a lip balm kit for her birthday. The instructions were missing from the kit. I spoke with customer service, they said they would email the instructions. 6 days later I check on the status of the email and it is supposedly "in cue" to be sent. An urgent request was being sent the customer service rep to have the email sent. 17 days after the "urgent" request was sent, I received the instructions via UPS. It sounds like customer service can talk all they want, but the company does not back them up.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
That sounds really frustrating. I'm sorry to hear about this. I've uploaded the instructions for you and you and your daughter can find them here: https://support.uncommongoods.com/entries/98784628-Lip-Balm-instructions
Thanks for letting us know about this problem!
nancyd62
1/2/16

Ordering a unique game seemed a good idea and I didn't check reviews ahead of time. Item arrived on time, packaged well. Item was rather crudely made for the price - not to my American old lady standards, but I remember a time when standards for most things were higher so I've made allowances. In addition to some shoddy woodworking, small pieces, described in instructions, were missing so I decided to send it back. Phone personnel didn't understand, couldn't understand and seemed disinterested, dragging the process out. I sent an email saying, "...Never mind; I'll just keep the item; I have little hope that the replacement will be any better." Got no answer to my email. Had to pay to have UPS pick up return (I'm disabled, live alone and don't drive so can't "drop it off at UPS".). So in the future I will do without "unique" items and stick with Amazon which works hard to satisfy this customer.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered. We certainly don't want you to be stuck with a sub-par product and would like to help you return the game. I can verify that we have responded to all of our emails. Sometimes our responses get filtered out and sent to the SPAM folder without the customer realizing that we have replied. We'd love to help you with this return. Feel free to contact our Customer Service managers directly at csmanagers@uncommongoods.com or call us at 888-365-0056.
janed131
12/30/15

I wish I would have read these reviews before I ordered from this company. Not only was the catalog description way off, customer service is not accommodating. I can't even return for a full refund.

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for your review, Jane. We would sincerely appreciate it if you could tell us which item you purchased so we can see how to improve the item description and avoid disappointment in the future. We do offer free return labels and we always credit the full price of the merchandise. If an item arrived damaged, defective or later than our delivery promise, we also refund initial shipping charges. I'd love to hear from you about this issue! I can be reached directly at jen@uncommongoods.com
anonymousa51
12/28/15

I order one item for my boyfriend's Christmas gift. I paid an extra $16.95 to get it to my house by 12/23. When I get my email it says it won't even ship until 12/24. I email a customer service representative who explains there is fine print on custom orders saying it will take longer. It was extremely unclear. It is now 4 days post Christmas Eve and I still have not gotten an email saying my item has shipped. When I called the company they didn't even have a tracking number to figure it out. The representative I spoke to was having a personal conversation when she answered the phone which she didn't stop until about 20 seconds in which I found EXTREMELY unprofessional. Fingers crossed my package arrives ever at this point. Will never order from this site again. Untrustworthy, unprofessional, and unclear. Disappointing.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry that you've had this experience. I'd love to get some more information about the phone call you had with one of our agents. I hope you will consider contacting me directly about this so we can (a) get you a proper update on your order and (b) get feedback to our team member. I can be reached directly at jen@uncommongoods.com.
taterh
12/23/15

I placed an order for 7 items. I placed the orders over a week before Christmas. When I checked out nothing was on back order. Appartently after I checked out they placed the items on back order and didn't notify me. Now its the night before Christmas Eve and I have found out that my items will not be ready. One of the items shows a shipping time of 3/31/16. Why would anyone order something that cost 40 dollars and wait 4 months on this? This company is horrible. I will stick with Amazon as they deliver as promised. In response to Uncommon goods. I did not miss this and decide to wait on backorder. It never appeared on your website. The note for back order is in Red Lettering and stands out on your page. I order hundreds of items each year offline. You are the only company that failed to deliver 5 out of 7 items on time. Obvisiouly if I am ordering for Christmas I am not waiting on back order.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
While we do notify customers that an item is on backorder before it can even be added to the shopping basket and we ask customers if they prefer to have the in-stock items ship right away or if they'd prefer to wait until the backordered item is able to ship, we can see that if a customer were in a hurry that these messages could be missed. We're so sorry this has happened to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please contact us at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com
frankn21
12/23/15

This is the second year we ordered from them for Christmas
1st year was bad, the item was useless and we shipped it back
We gave them a try again this year because my daughter really wanted to buy something for my wife for Christmas.
To make a long story short, we received the item 3 times and it was defective every time.
We had ordered a soapstone serving tray and the item includes 2 of the flat stones. Needless to say they banged against each other, chipping both of them in the process.
On the 3rd try, I told them to package it differently which they did, but one of the stones had a chip anyway. They probably have a warehouse full of banged up merchandise which they ship out. We did get to keep the 2 prior orders, but I didn't even bother calling them back on the 3rd try. I will never order from them again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We feel awful that you've had such continual frustrations while shopping with us. This is exceedingly unusual. We have had a few complaints about the soapstone tray and the wine glasses with stones and we've alerted our warehouse to these problems so they can pack the items differently. It's our goal to make sure that all items arrive in good shape and feedback such as yours helps us improve our processes. We'd hate for you to have damaged merchandise that you paid for - please contact me directly at jen@uncommongoods.com so I can get this resolved for you.

We'll email your tracking number on the day the order ships. If you need anything else, please contact our CS team at help@uncommongoods.com

By Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Uncommongoods staff and other customers.

Uncommongoods?