Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

majellac
6/25/12

DO NOT JOIN SPOKEO BY ANY MEANS. Biggest waste of money ever!

Before joining, there is no mention that the extent of their searches are limited to North America! I, being in Australia, had absolutely no use for this service, yet they do not warn you before you sign up that it is very much limited.

Any information searched was either heinously incorrect, or could have been done my self via GOOGLE which is FREE.

Not only that, once I had realised Spokeo was unable to perform any of the tasks it claimed it could do, I contacted them to try and get a refund for my money as I had spent less than half an hour on the site, but to this day have not heard back from them nor do I expect to. But anyway, if my money spent means that other people do not mistakenly waste their money then I guess its somewhat worth it.

Once again, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. Anyone with half a brain could find the information they claim to have within minutes of doing a google search. WHAT A SCAM.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Narhibe ,

I apologize for any inconvenience, Spokeo currently only supports national numbers and addresses from the United States for our phone and name search. For reverse email lookups however, we support all email addresses, including international ones. This search feature covers all of our supported social networks.

I'm also sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

So that I can resolve this issue for you right away, I have gone ahead and sent you a private message. Please check your inbox as soon you can.

stevend15
6/22/12

The best news - I got all my money back. Thank you, Spokeo.

previous review was: joined, run searches on well-known to me people - to check if data are correct. got bogus results for 9 out of 10 people. cancelled.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Steven,

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

We would be more than happy to assist you through the refund process, you can simply contact us through our contact page. I have also privately messaged you with further details.

jp33
6/6/12

The reason I purchased a membership is that my spouse of ten years was listed as having a dating website in the non premium section; however there where no dating sites displayed in the premium search. I have since contacted them and they have not offered a refund but promised to look into it. It is my opinion that the site prays on the insecurities of people for profit. In the user agreement it states that spokeo can not guarantee the accuracy of information presented in the search, this information was in and advertisement and was not substantiated. Imagine the stress of suspecting your spouse of cheating. Some of the information provided included a home value in excess of 800k, the home is valued at closer to 125k.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear J P,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Spokeo does not guarantee full results for every search you perform. When you perform a free basic search, we pull information from what was cached from the last update. If this was a while ago, the information may be outdated. Being a Premium subscriber grants you access to the most up-to-date searches. For this reason, the information may be different than on the preview page. I'm sorry if you were under the wrong impression and hope to assist you in whatever way possible.

Please do get in touch with us again, as we would like to resolve this issue for you.

margaretm12
5/31/12

Every phone number I typed in came back to the wrong person (reverse phone number inquiry). I typed in my own phone number and again, it identified someone else. For fun, I looked up information on my friends. The inaccuracies were a joke.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Margaret,

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Our phone listings typically can provide more information. However, certain numbers are simply not found in our phone directory and may not yield full or accurate results.

Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a People Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. Instead, this information is gathered from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number or email address you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

ccr
5/9/12

For anyone who has a stalker: THIS IS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE... My family and I are UNLISTED in the phone book yet all our information pops up? This is crazy. I had taken down ALL the profiles for my family last year and then decided to look again today...AND ALL OUR INFO IS BACK UP. Watch yourself everyone....

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear CC,

I am very sorry to hear about this issue. Our search results show only publicly-accessible information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more.

When you choose to opt out of Spokeo, we place a permanent flag on your listing so that it does not ever reappear on Spokeo.com. We are constantly receiving new and updated listings, and we try very hard to match these new listings to the existing ones and preserve your privacy preference. However, a computer cannot know the difference between "John Smith at 1234 Nowhere Street" and "John Smith at 5678 Somewhere Avenue", though you may know that you moved. So if a new listing contains your new address, or if there are significant typos which prevent our computers from matching an existing listing, you will see a new listing for your name. We are constantly improving our matching algorithms in order to maintain your privacy. Spokeo guarantees that our opt-out policy is among the best on the Internet.

We understand that you are concerned about the information shown our search results, and allow all users to opt out. You can do so by clicking on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy

annoymousu
4/15/12

Dear Spokeo,

I am very confused to how you could possibly jump to your defense adter numerous complaints about scams and poor customer service. I also am concerned about YOUR invading of other peoples privacy. You advertise a website that promises search and useful information but all seems to be gathered by 'social network' sites? I seriously find your website unprofessional as well as the way customer service is handled. Poor service equals poor buisness

Sincerly

- Glad I never signed up!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jane,

I can verify that our search results show only publicly-accessible information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more. We understand that you are concerned about the information shown on our search results, and we allow all users to opt out. Unlike other companies, Spokeo's opt out process is a simple request that does not require signing up or paying for Spokeo's services. In regards to our customer service, which can easily be reached via our contact page; I can assure you that Spokeo's customer service team are more than willing to assist our customers with whatever their concerns may be.

paulk21
3/28/12

They came to me, not I to them and the offer was a LIFETIME PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP in exchange for over two thousand of my contacts They have since, without notice, changed me to "Free Membership" breaking their promise to me and rendering my usage to next to useless. It was an offer to let them have access to all of my contacts, and I have over two thousand contacts, in exchange for a lifetime premium membership. Now they simply don't honor it. It's a big bait and switch game to them. They even told me that since I have a free membership that they are limiting my usage when I am supposed to have a lifetime premium. I am emailing all the contacts I gave them and telling them to complain, too. Since they have rendered my usage useless, I will render the contacts I gave them useless.

This isn't the first time they've done it to me, either. It seems with every spurt of growth they make, with every change or improvement they make, they seek out ways to make sure that I don't actually get to use any of the premium services they have promised me.

The reason I am complaining, finally, is because they are so indignant about ripping me off. It's despicable. I have NOTHING good to say about Spokeo. Ever since I came through for them they have tried to rip me off and take advantage of me with new policies which are aimed at making sure that don't have to honor their offer to me.

My opinion of them couldn't be worse. Really. They are the WORST,

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your message.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and can most certainly clarify matters for you.

When you accepted the lifetime membership, being that it is for a lifetime and free, there is a search quota limit. This limit is subjected to change, and recently, there have been a few changes. Any changes to quota limits are made only to ensure that we continue to add more data and to allow our site to run smoothly and quickly.

In regards to how many searches you can perform, here is a breakdown:

- Unlimited Name searches
- up to 20 Reverse Email searches per month
- 2 Address book imports per-month

Your quota system is a rolling window of 1 month, and any number of searches that were performed 1 month ago, would not count against your quota, thus freeing it up. For example, if you had performed 5 reverse email searches on 1/1/11, and hit your exceeded quota (by performing the rest of the 15 searches allowed) on 1/2/11, you would be able to do 5 reverse email searches on 2/1/11. Also, please note that all searches count towards your quota, even those that provide little or no results. Having said that, I encourage you to contacts us via our contact page so that we can further assist you with this matter. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
bethm7
1/30/12

II was trying to collect e-mail data for a small business start-up. I had much of the information, but I just needed e-mail addresses. Spokeo's free service has a highlighted link for occupation and I felt that if I had the business name I could do my own search for the company's standard e-mail format. When I searched the free service, the link was "clickable" and took me to their upgrade page. I figured I was worth the $14.85 to find the information they appeared to have.

I searched about 20 different names from my list and there was nothing listed under occupation for any of the people. This took 15 - 30 minutes (give or take). I felt it was misleading that they give you a clickable link on the free end tat takes you to the purchase the upgrade page, but once you do, there is no information for twenty individual searches.

I e-mailed immediately to cancele my subscription and assumed that the 100% guarantee meant that I would get 100% of my money back. They did respond promptly to my request to cancel, but only offered a refund for $10.00. I asked to explain why there was a 33% cancelation and their response was essentially that they don't guarantee accurate or complete information. I can respect that, but I received NO information and therefore was not 100% satisfied.

I accepted the $10.00 refund because it wasn't worth any more of my time to argue the point. But I did let them know that I would voice my displeasure on every review site that had their company listed.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo User,

I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, and certainly wish to clarify this matter. The information displayed in the boxes on the preview page is to showcase the potential information we can provide on the specific individual being searched. Had the information regarding the individual's occupation been publicly available and linked, it would have displayed their profession.

Also, the 100% Guarantee we offer ensures that you, as the customer will receive additional results for only the first search that is performed.

On that note, please understand that our guarantee does not promise that accurate results will be provided for subsequent searches. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every single name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us via our contact page, as we wish to resolve this issue for you. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

williamb19
11/10/11

What little information Spokeo does have is typically old and of no use. And yes, if you sign up for a three month period they do charge you for the full three months but they make it clear when signing up for those of you who are not illiterate.

The bottom line is that it isn't worth paying for.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear William, I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Also, because all of our plans are subscription based, they will renew automatically after each subscription term (monthly, quarterly, bi-yearly, yearly), depending on which plan is selected. You may opt out of auto-renewal at any time, including the same day as your purchase. Canceling your subscription will not affect the existing period already paid for.
bent8
9/6/11

I am new to the people search world. I needed to find the address and owners name on a Verizon cell phone number I was given to contact a friend who recently moved to Florida and changed to a Florida number with Verizon. A mutual friend had come out of remission from cancer and asked me if I knew how 2 get in touch with him. I was given a two numbers by another friend but couldnt tell for if they were hers though Verizon did verify the numbers were linked to the same account number. I tried Spokeo and they clearly indicated they had this information and more (with 8 out 10 icons being diplayed in color) and they had the account name holder and the address as well as the carrier. After I paid all the icons were displayed in black and white and they did not have any of the information they indicated they had. I understood wwhen I signed up they might not have data on every icon but they indicated they had the data on the colored icons. I immediately requested a refund but the refused and charged me for three months but did tell me this for three days. When I complained the indicated they had reverse cell phone data they said it wasnt their fault that it was unavailable. They did not respond to my appeal. I feel bad because I feel like both of these people would benefit from the support during this difficult time. Are there any reverse cell number sites that give you what you pay for? If anyone has any suggestions it would at least help me feel less guilty. btracey2@yahoo.com

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Ben,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I believe this may be a misunderstanding and would be more than happy to clarify. When you perform a free basic search, we provide details about the networks that we support but do not state that we have found any matches unless we really did. You may be referring to links like "click here to search all 70+ networks" but that really does not guarantee that you will be provided further information as Spokeo does not guarantee full results for every search you perform. I apologize for any confusion caused.

laurindal
8/10/11

I used Spokeo for the free reverse email search. It stated that it had found it and I needed to pay to see the information. After I paid, I found out that there wasn't any additional information. When I asked for a refund, they gave a partial refund.What a rip off!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Laurinda,

rangerricks
7/4/11

inaccurate information at best ~ it is useful tho to find other websites that have shared personal information about you, so you can go and delete those accounts

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Rick, I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

joshr4
6/27/11

I'm trying to keep my personal opinion that people search websites are complete scum out of this review. Spokeo actually has a pretty easy opt-out system for you to remove your information from them (just copy the URL of the profile you want to remove and go here: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy), which is why I gave them a "meh" instead of a "$#%@." However, their information is often inaccurate--it's collected by aggregators from so-called "public" sources, like Facebook--and the site gives the impression that it has information that it doesn't. For example, searching for a username or email address brings up a default page that says "we have this information on John Doe" or whatever name you searched, but the page comes up for any data entered, regardless of whether they have information available.

In my opinion, all people search websites should be unlawful. They're dangerous to anyone at risk for stalking or other violent behavior. The sites put out PR about how they can "reunite family members," but if that happens, it's a tiny minority of the their traffic and use. It's getting harder and harder to be unlisted these days because of sites like Spokeo.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Josh,

While our search results show only publicly-accessible information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more, we understand that you are concerned about the information shown our search results, and allow all users to opt out. You can do so by clicking on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy

To Remove Phone/Name/Email/Username Listings:
1. Locate the listing you want removed by clicking on the exact profile based on the physical address
2. Copy the URL (please see under Troubleshooting, Incorrect URL for more on obtaining the correct URL)
3. Click on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy
4. Paste the URL
5. Provide your email address (this acts as a verification process for the confirmation to be sent to your Inbox)
6. Type in the Captcha Code (type the code exactly as you see it)
7. Check your Inbox for the confirmation email, and click on the link at the bottom to complete the removal process.

If you are encountering difficulties, please ensure that you read all of the instructions. Make sure the URL, Captcha Code and email address verification are correctly entered. Please check your SPAM folder for a message titled Spokeo Directory Removal Confirmation, in case it does not appear in your inbox.

Incorrect URL:
- The URL can be found in the address bar located at the top of your browser. For Name Listings, make sure you locate the profile by narrowing the city and state and clicking on the exact profile. The URL should look like one of these examples:

Incorrect Captcha Code:
- Type in the text provided exactly how it shows. Before you type in the text, make sure that all other fields are correct. If you typed the wrong Captcha Code the first time, it will refresh and keep generating a new code.

Removal Limit:
- Spokeo understands your privacy concerns, and as such, provides a convenient way to remove your listings from public searches. However, this feature has been abused before. In order to prevent spammers, bots and others from removing hundreds of listings at a time, all users are allowed to remove a limited number of listings each day per IP address. If you are seeing this error message at work, your limit may already be exceeded by other co-workers who are also trying to remove their listings. Our servers will read the requests as coming from the same IP address since multiple people are trying to remove listings from the same location. Please wait to remove your listing from your home computer, or try again in the following days.

No Confirmation Email:
- If you have a spam preventer or any type of email filter, this may be why you did not receive the confirmation email. Make sure to check your email settings, and to check your spam Inbox for the confirmation message if it does not go to your main Inbox. You can also request for another email confirmation to be sent to you by completing the opting-out process again, but this time providing a different email address.

For more information, please read our Privacy Policy and Frequently Asked Questions.

jond6
6/14/11

I JOINED, 5 MINUTES LATER I CANCELED.

I joined Spokeo, which requires you to join for, a minimum of three months, but chargest you $14.95 immediately. Before I joined, I did a free preliminary search, and it claimed to have the "Social Networking" info of the person I was looking for, and I think their email info. So I joined. The result was an old address for them I had, "Phone number Unknown, Email Unknown, Social Networking... Unknown."
That's right; after saying it had the Social Networking info before I joined, it said it was unknown after I paid for the search. So I did a search for myself, and it only gave my age and my old address; despite being an actor that constantly publicizes myself, am on several social networking sites, and even have my own production company that I advertise online!
I canceled immediately, but am out $14.95 for a service that is less useful than a 2001 telephone book. from what I hear the other sites aren't much better.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jon,

In regards to social profiles not showing up in search results, Spokeo is a People Search Engine, and aggregates only publicly-accessible data from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, Spokeo preserves and protects the privacy terms of all third-party content and does not grant access to private email accounts, social profiles or blogs. Our information depends entirely on the amount of digital footprints left by email users, as well as the privacy settings maintained by the user. The reason you did not see profile matches for the individual you were searching for may because they have their profiles set to private. These days, the privacy settings, especially at Facebook are very customizable. Should the user does not want to be found, we have to honor it at Spokeo.

dang10
2/23/11

Its a site where if you got the money, you can get any info on anybody in the database. Found out how to remove yourself if you want:

1. Locate the listing you want removed on their site
2. Copy the URL. The URL can be found on the top of your browser and should look something like:
3. Go to http://www.spokeo.com/privacy
4. Paste the URL from step 2
5. Provide your email address (required to verify that you are not a spammer or automated bot)
6. Check your Inbox for the confirmation email, and click on the provided link to complete removal process
7. The directory listing should be removed immediately

Just did that and got my info off.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dan,

You are correct, To Remove Phone/Name/Email/Username Listings, follow the steps below:

mariec
2/20/11

I actually don't have a problem with spokeo. It has helped me to see which accounts I have at different sites that may be visible to others and to go to those sites and either remove my accounts or make them private.

For self protection I would suggest searching for yourself through name, email and other search options. Then see where you may have public info about yourself and either remove that info or make it private on those sites.

Spokeo can be used to your benefit in some instances like this. It can also be helpful when you are getting unwanted emails, etc...to identify the sender who is offending you.

If you make yourself not visible on spokeo by going through these routes (if this is what you want) it can be a great tool.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Marie,

As you stated, Spokeo is also a great resource for locating old profiles. Many of our users have implemented our service to successfully locate forgotten accounts with various sites, and deleted them. Also, many of our users have had great success in revealing the companies and telemarketers behind unwanted phone calls, and emails.

shelliet
2/4/11

It only lets you remove up to 1 listing at a time. I contacted them through email to have them remove me ASAP or I'd get a lawyer involved and was alreadly going to contact the Mo. Attorney General. I did contact the AG as of today. They removed my listings within 24 hours. This is a scam. I'm investigating other sites that are similiar. If enough of us contact the attorney general in our states maybe something can be done to fine these companies and maybe shut them down. we all have to get involved though

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Shellie and Phillip,

Spokeo guarantees that our opt-out policy is among the best on the Internet, and unlike other people search engine sites, our removal feature is free and does not require the user to sign up for any membership.

valeries3
1/27/11

I have been trying to remove my name off their website it tells me to paste of the URL address and that would remove my name to no avail. I sent them a email to no avail they are putting my family life at risk

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Valerie,

leok
1/25/11

All your personal information is released on this site. At the bottom they have a privacy area where you can have your private information removed from site. Yhey supply the code on the side and tell you an email will be coming to your site. Follow instructions and they will remove. They do not send a follow on email. Extremely personal information is being sold from these j***a****!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Leo and T,

visitarv
1/25/11

Not worth the price of admission. Email information is rarely, if ever, available - even with a premium membership. Everything provided for a fee is available with little difficulty elsewhere for free. I joined, tried a few searches, found nothing of value, and cancelled. Of course, I'm out the cost of admission.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Visitar and Tracy,

I'm sorry to hear that our services did not meet your expectations. For reverse email searches, content posted on social networks varies widely from email to email and as a result, Spokeo cannot guarantee any accurate or full profile information. In addition, Spokeo preserves and protects the privacy terms of all third-party content and does not grant access to private social profiles or blogs. Our information depends entirely on the amount of digital footprints left by email users, as well as the privacy settings maintained by the user.

Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a People Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. Instead, this information is gathered from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Spokeo also offers reverse name, reverse phone or reverse username searches. Premium subscriptions now include access to those features, and I highly recommend that you explore those options, as many of our customers have had more success in finding additional information from these additional searches.
nastassiaf
1/22/11

This Spokeo website gives peoples personal information to the public (without permission) for just a small fee.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Nastassia,

Our search results show only publicly-accessible information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more, we understand that you are concerned about the information shown our search results, and allow all users to opt out. You can do so by clicking on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy

ashleym9
1/20/11

It is basically a stalkers paradise.. It contains most peoples information including images of peoples homes!! Its scary.. I found myself on this site and it terrified me so I removed myself.. Go to this site and search your name, if you find it remove it by clicking on your name and then copying the link of your "page". From there, go to www.spokeo.com/privacy and from there it gives you further instructions on where to paste your URL and such.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Ashley and Bobby,

bruceb
1/6/11

The small 2.95 per month charge has managed to put my bank account into the negatives in excess of 200 dollars in a matter of 3 days. I signed up for this site because my wife is the victim of domestic violence from her ex-husband. Unfortunately, she also needs to maintain an online presence for her career. I was hoping that we would be able to monitor exactly how much information was out there and make sure that her business contacts could still reach her without revealing information about our home address, activities, and children. After 10 minutes of using the service I would have cancelled anyway. The reports we old and out of date at best, and in two instances the site meshed my wife's information with that of another woman with the same name. If my wife's ex-husband would come after her using the info on this site my wife would be completely safe, however a completely innocent woman could possibly be injured just because she shares my wife's name. Furthermore, the advertised monthly fee of 2.95 per month that is so obviously splashed over their plans page is charged at one time. This fact is not placed in any obvious place, in fact it is NOWHERE on the plans page at all. 35.40 will be deducted immediately. In our case this meant that several small charges handled via debit card bounced, netting us over 200 dollars in insufficient funds fees. When customer services was contacted the operator (quite rudely) announced that no refunds were given, ever, for any reason. She refused to allow us to talk to her supervisor. Basically Spokeo gave me an inferior product, used unethical advertising methods, provided poor customer service, and completely refused to stand behind their product. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy, but if I chose to I could rest safely knowing that he would never find me using this service.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Bruce,

I'm also sorry if you were under the wrong impression and hope to assist you in whatever way possible. Because you had selected our 12-month plan, a total of $35.40 has been deducted. Because this provides you access for the full term, the average cost is $2.95 per month, which is the amount you may have been confused with. To make this even more prominent for our payers, we include this information as part of the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

donkm
10/30/10

spokeo.com i am surprised should have a lot more consumer issues or complaints by unhappy users. I am of course unhappy member of spokeo.com website and want my money refunded. I made request for a refund on my spokeo.com account very soon after joining. Another person posted the email address Dispute@spokeo.com as this company is VERY VERY DECEPTIVE in that its hard to get information on REFUND PROCEDURE. My complaint lodge against this company is that they use DECEPTIVE CONDUCT into thinking their service is as good as it sounds. The service is no better than http://www.pipl.com for instance which is free. I felt really ripped off. The telephone search is in America, i have to grant access using my user name and password for a friends search (for that part) which i am uncomfortable about giving. The biggest issue is i paid for a 3 month membership and there IS A LIMITATION on the number of searches that can be performed on the premium spokeo.com account. THIS IS A SCAM. They do not ANYWHERE DISCLOSE anything about having a limitation on the number of searches you can do and 20 email address searches in a 3 month period is a JOKE. This service is downright deceptive especially my last point. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY if they will have deceptive practices like that.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Donk,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not aware of our search quota limit. All of our subscription plans are under a search quota limit. This implementation will not only ensure that your email searches continue to remain smooth and quick, but will allow us to add more supported networks into our database in the future. This term is made very clear on our payment page, as it is included in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. To ensure that our payers are aware of this, we even provide the link to our Plan Specification page as part of the disclaimer. This link is available here: http://www.spokeo.com/plans

teann
10/8/10

Rip off. Information provided could have been obtained by white pages. Does not provide the information that the website says it will. I even tried my own personal search. Same lack of information. WASTE OF MONEY. Cancellation was immediate. Had to send email for refund to: Dispute@spokeo.com

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Tean,

Spokeo

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo