SierraTradingPost reviews

Tel: 1-800-713-4534
customerservice@sierratradingpost.com

craigr106
2/15/19

When ordering the website said it would take 3-8 days to receive the product, it took over a week to get the product shipped! I was notified a week after I placed the order that the product was shipping, it took almost another week to receive the product. Customer Service was relatively unapologetic. Offered to provide a discount on a future order. Really? How insulting and presumptuous! This was my first time to order, why would I consider ordering from you again if you can't get the first order correct? You NEVER get a second chance to make a good first impression. I encourage you to stay away from Sierra Trading Post and order from a company that 1) has quality inventory management in place, 2) understands what it means to be an online company and 3) has a Customer Service organization that truly wants to ensure Customer service. These guys don't get it. They may be fine if you live near one of their stores and you can walk into a brick and mortar location, but as an online provide they don't have what it takes to compete.

chuckw23
2/12/19
• Updated review

The TJX transformation of STP is (sadly) complete. The store where I live now looks exactly like any old TJMaxx - rows and rows of clothes crammed so tightly together it's difficult to browse, with a few end cap style eye catchers. The prices are up, the service is down and the selection is awful. I've stopped shopping there except for the occasional fishing item, where it's clear the buyers have no real idea what they're doing. Case in point: I live in the Rocky Mountains, but I visit northeast Florida several times a year where I like to surf fish. Last fall I checked the fishing supplies and to my surprise there were four high quality sand spikes used as rod holders for surf fishing. I scooped them up at the very reasonable price of $12 each. Aside from the odd surprise like that there's virtually nothing in the store that resembles the old STP.

“Death of an icon - sigh”
9/5/17
• Previous review

I'm not certain what TJX had in mind when they bought STP, but I'd sure like to know. I suppose it will eventually come out somewhere in a blog post, op ed or annual report. We'll see. In any case, whether it was to get access to a customer demographic that just doesn't see the point in TJMAXX (yeah, I've been in a couple of their stores. It's chaos.) or they thought they could turn loyal STP catalog (website) customers into store walkers - they got it wrong.

TJX doesn't do online. That's part of their business model - ignore the web. So they thought "hey, let's buy STP, kill the web business, and open a bunch of stores nationwide to lure those former loyal customers in". Genius. Pure genius.

I initially thought they bought STP to get access to the supply channels that STP had built up over the years for top name brand close outs. If that's true, then why do those brands no longer show up in the stores? It's a mystery to me.

I have a friend who works at the local STP store where I live and the most common question she gets is "What happened to the store?". All the stuff we used to shop for at STP, like (fill in the blank for your favorite outdoor activity) is gone. There used to be a whole wall of camping supplies - now it's an end cap. Same for fishing, hunting, you name it. Now it's seasonal clothes. And more clothes. With brands I've never heard of.

I don't mind change - if it's for the better. But, after two and half years of steady decline I'm losing heart. Case in point: I'm a fly fisherman. There used to be (literally) hundreds of boxes of flies at great prices in the store that took up a large section of the fishing isle. Three years ago I could have broken the bank buying decent quality files at great prices (nearly did!). Fast forward to this year and the flies have been replace with, what?, saltwater lures. Huh? I live in the Rocky Mountains. Perhaps they're saving all the files for the stores they plan to open in Florida?

I guess the good news is that the business model Keith Richardson envisioned and worked so hard to build a company around is now available for re-creation as a replacement for the old STP. Any takers?

Maybe Mr. Richardson will take the $200M he got for STP and start over? Hopefully, he didn't sign a non-compete...

buttonm
2/10/19

I shopped at STP for many years because you could find unusual and very high-quality items at an excellent price. I still have a wool J.G. Glover Peregrine sweater bought years and years ago from STP that I wear constantly, with no pilling -- it made me understand that there IS a difference with certain brands. I also enjoyed the free shipping quizzes and other quirky things (even the weird Jesus message in the "about us" section). I guess those days are over. Now that TJ Maxx owns them it's just a lot of mid- to low-level mall, off-brand, leftovers stuff -- kind of like shopping at TJ Maxx. I guess STP's old buyers who found all that great stuff must have disappeared with the TJMaxx takeover. There is really nothing special about STP (now just called "Sierra") anymore. It's a shame.

kates215
2/8/19

So sorry to see another small business bought up by a conglomerate just to run the business run into the ground. Oh boy, do I miss STP!!!

susanr167
1/21/19

STP used to be great. I've been shopping there for decades and have recommended them to numerous friends and family over years.
They had good prices on quality merchandise, great discount offers, free shipping, ect...
Lately, I've noticed a sharp decline from the company they once were...more expensive, less quality, less in discounts, almost never get free shipping anymore. The most disappointing thing is that you could go to their website and just browse and find something interesting/unusual. Not so true anymore. Going through their catalogue you see bland merchandise and more bland merchandise. Nothing special you can't pick up somewhere else (often for a better price). I still shop there occasionally when I'm looking for something specific but it's just not the same. I guess the TJMAXX buyout is to blame. Too bad.

xcelerationr
1/4/19

Ordered 2 identical winter jackets.
These are made in Mexico.
Retail is about $130 and they were closing them out at $49.
one jacket was perfect.
The second jacket was a lighter jacket (J001) made in USA.
They stuck stickers, made in Mexico,with the item number I ordered over the original Carhartt tag.
Trying to get me to accept the cheaper,USA made jacket,for what I ordered.
They offered to exchange the jacket,but Im not paying tax and shipping on a bait and switch scam.

johnk1224
12/31/18

I am like the other reviews stating that Sierra Trading Post is no longer a bargain priced site. I have purchase since 2007 getting extra discounts on top of already low prices on quality products. Free shipping used to be at 49.99. Now under new ownership. High prices on low quality products. No more extra discounts. Very slow shipping. High free shipping amount. To sum up, I will not looking here to buy in the future. A good idea ruined by takeover greed. Sadly, this has become what is going on today.

seanf104
12/8/18

I know that people generally only write reviews when things don't go well, and I admit I am part of that group. I have been shopping at STP since 2006. They use to send out extra discounts and special deals. Now only free shipping. Never had an issue with shipping on-time until now. They stated it was an update of their system. But after another 2 days and still no shipment, I decided to look at some reviews. Sounds like they are slow to ship items. Didn't use to be this way. I know why Amazon is growing so fast. They still do have some good deals, but will consider other options when purchasing.

richardo134
11/30/18

I love your store. Great stuff at value pricing. If you go in on a lark and find something it is optimal. Ordering is another matter. I ordered a tent from China that came ten days before the sleeping bag I got from Sierra. I gues Wyoming is farther than China. It seems to take three weeks or more. A week to ship and then ....... who knows. I would love to find an alternative to amazon in every segment. I do not th ink you are there yet. You do not post where the product is in the cycle. I am like a child I love watchting my treasure arrive. Hope you find a way to improvement. This to max conglomeration concept is big enough to make a difference if it can get better. I just bought a marmot jacket for my xl wife at camp saver because I just don't believe you can deliver before Christmas. It is the 29 th of November. Pick it up in satisfaction and grow. Hopeful. Good luck

bobbye21
11/28/18

I made a purchase from them and they forgot to include one of the items in the package. I called them in the morning and a representative named "Patty" assured me that she will refund me. I waited a few hours and no email of a refund came to me. This time I did a live chat and spoke to "Alexandria." She said that no refund was ever processed and that she will do it. Why did the first rep lie to me about a refund? I don't know. So Alexandria processes the refund and for the inconvenience she said i will get emailed a $20 gift card for future use. I was happy until i checked my emails and of course what do I see? I got the refund for my item but no gift card emailed to me. Why do these reps lie so much to customers? Never shopping with them again because they are all liars!!

amyt196
11/26/18

I feel like I've lost an old friend. It used to be a fantastic shopping experience but now it's pure frustration. I waited a full 11 days before my order even shipped. Their quality and selection has gone downhill too. I won't be ordering from them anymore. I'm sad.

ericl270
11/22/18

Used to be the best site on internet. Since buyout it is average or below. Prior to buyout no sales taxes were charged since buyout discounts have markedly decreased, selection is down and shipping cost have increased. Certainly not my first choice of places to shop.

hooligand
11/1/18

I have been a long time customer of Sierra Trading Post from well before the TJ Maxx buyout. They have always had great prices and are the first place I go when I'm shopping for outdoor gear and clothing. I have gotten some absolutely smoking deals here over the years. However over the last year I've noticed that the shipping is beyond slow. In the days of two day free shipping I'm not sure how STP expects customers to tolerate their orders sitting in a warehouse for nearly a week before shipping out when they are paying near $10 per order in shipping charges. As a result I simply don't use STP for any items I need in a reasonable time and spend the money elsewhere. It's really a shame because this is really my only complaint with Sierra Trading Post.

ms419
10/27/18

customer service is horrible, if you order online, don't expect your merchandise any time soon, it takes them over a week to actually ship your order plus the actual transit time of your merchandise, and you may not even get all of the items you ordered. i placed 3 separate orders within 2 months period and all 3 orders took over one week to process and ship. 2 of the orders shipped out incomplete... just horrible customer service, supervisors not available and don't return your phone calls.

i'm a long time customer but for the past year the service, order delivery and completeness as well as quality of the merchandise have bee very bad!!! will not be buying from them again and DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE!

denisem308
10/5/18

I ordered a pair of Bearpaw women's boots BEFORE reading all the reviews. The price was amazing and they had the color and size I wanted. After I ordered them I saw all the horrible, negative reviews and honestly didn't even expect to get the boots. Well they came today. They are the real deal, not knock offs and were packaged the way Bearpaw always packs them. I have been buying this brand for a LONG time. All in all it took 9 days to get them but I expected that after reading what everyone else had to say. Based on this experience I would definitely order from them again. Just wanted to put a positive review to let others that are new to Sierra Trading Post like I am, that not all experiences are bad. Ended up saving about 40.00 on the boots too. So I'm happy!

leahw46
10/3/18

Wow, really gone downhill -- getting ready for a backpacking trip and absolutely nothing that looks like good enough quality to buy.

mikek376
9/25/18

If you make a purchase from STP don't plan on getting it in a timely manner. Purchase items with free shipping after spending $89. Free shipping everyone loves that. After 5 days and counting STP still hasn't shipped items . I don't know how long STP can stay in business with poor customer service when it comes to shipping. What I do know is that STP lost my business. To many other online retailers that take shipping more serious.

kurtd42
9/7/18

I used to love shopping at and purchasing from STP. It's just not the same anymore. They really took away all the fun. I loved hunting for coupons, receiving the deal flyers, and trying to figure out the best possible way to get the best deals. All of that is gone.
The selection isn't what it used to be, the prices are really not enticing anymore, and the iOS app is pretty glitchy and buggy. I was ordering from STP probably 5 times a year, but have quit entirely. I wish they would just make it the way it was before the buyout. It's a really sad situation.

helenl147
9/5/18

I have been a loyal STP customer for many years and have consistently received their sale emails with 20% - 25% emails since the start. I probably buy from STP 2 - 3X per year. In mid-August, Hubby went to their brick & mortar store and made a purchase. Ever since, I stopped receiving their deal flyer. When I contacted them, I was told that I am no longer on their deal flyer mailing list since I had not shopped with their for over 6 mo. They said they'll look into it but nothing. What??? We just bought from their brick & mortar store and somehow we are pulled off the list for buying at their brick & mortar store??? Absolutely ridiculous! I agree with other reviewers that the customer service at STP has gone way down since TJMaxx purchased it. I will be another customer leaving this formerly great retailer.

echol9
9/1/18

As other reviewers have said, I came across sitejabber.com because I was searching for what/why sierra trading post has changed (for the worse) so drastically as of recent. Well I guess the whole TJM thing explains it. Gosh darn it STP!!!!! WHY!?!?

dolittlea
8/21/18

Started shopping at STP decades ago. Always a great experience and with durable goods. No more. Been replaced with trivial "brands" and the customer service no longer serves the customer. Goodbye to a great era of shopping. So sad to see the big guys take over. Now it's quantity over quality.

erikr46
8/6/18

Sierra Trading Post often has some of the best prices around for the comparison shopper. However if you hesitate, that great deal may disappear quickly.

mikew504
7/30/18

Used to be the best. Now TJX has turned it into crap. I was just told my return rate was high and that I would no longer receive deal flyers. I typically buy shoes and shirts on here, and for shoes I buy several sizes and return those that don't fit, and for shirts I buy all the colors I like when I want to try a shirt on, so I could own all the colors I like before they sell out. So basically, my return rate is guaranteed to be high. It doesn't mean I'm returning used stuff. I've been doing this since 2010, when I bought my first things on STP. Its pretty humiliating to be turned away as a customer my first time. It literally tempts me to return every single thing I got from STP.

trudym23
7/14/18

My husband and I had been loyal STP shoppers for over 20 years and had purchased most of our clothes and shoes from STP, as well as, many gifts for our family members. We loved the excellent quality name brands (especially those Made in USA or Canada), the good prices, and the fun STP website with all its features. We began to notice a change after the sale to TJX and I called Customer Service to inform them that the noticable decline of coupons and deals were causing us to lose interest. Their response was a sales pitch for "everyday value." Now I know why there are so few MyUpdates in our email. It is because those brands are just not at STP anymore. Those high quality brands don't even come up in a search of the STP website. Sure sorry to lose our favorite shopping place, online or store. STP was the Best! We have unsubscribed.

hoper26
6/30/18

I WAS a loyal customer of STP for years, as in 19 years. This past year, I have done nothing but waste time checking their website, buying things and returning most of my purchases. I have a credit that I have been carrying for a good six months. I'm just going to let it go and call it quits with this company. Before selling out to TJMaxx this was the ultimate site for excellent clothing (including several European lines) at fabulous prices. Just sick to see this site slide to the bottom.

Try 6pm. They clear Zappos stuff. Might not have the outdoor "gear" but they have clothing from larger outdoor companies - Northface, Patagonia, etc. sign up for their notifications and they'll send you a 10-15% off every couple of months. Sad about the demise of STP.

By paula m.

Once you decide to make a return, you can apply online for an INSTANT CREDIT, whereby you will be charged $2.95 for return shipping. Then the item needs to be shipped and IN THEIR HANDS within TEN DAYS. If they receive the item later than ten days, you will be billed an additional $6.95. That said, Sierra Trading Post often gives six months for you to decide if you want to return the item, but recently I have noticed that their policy has changed and some items are not returnable at all. I hope this helps -- I am just figuring out the recent policy changes myself.

By Angel A.

Questions? Get answers from the SierraTradingPost staff and other customers.

2 Photos for SierraTradingPost