SierraTradingPost reviews

Tel: 1-800-713-4534
customerservice@sierratradingpost.com

paule277
7/26/19

Silverdale,wa store was a good store now it's a bad joke no outdoor gear and what there is is mostly junk it is a Ross or TJ Maxx at best will not go there again a waist of a trip

joep600
6/8/19

I used to find hiking boots/shoes and appoach shoes on their website easily over size 9. Now that they're operating stores and stretching their inventory the mens shoe section is like old mother hubbards cabinet. Full of cobwebs. Unless you're fortunate enough to be size 9 or less. Seriously there were like 20 pairs of hiking boots/shoes size 12 or 13 when I checked the site today and half were junk like High Tek and Adiddas. Only Addidas approach shoes up to size 8.5. And of course you can't check inventory at stores so who knows if they have larger sizes. It's a 1 hour drive crapshoot.

Also, were did Hagloffs and some of the other respected European brands go? Now it's mostly made in China Scarpas and Under Armour garbage. Talk about ruining a good business.

Put more damn inventory online and quit opening stores until you have enough. Especially shoes over size 9. Then they run they're FB page like a bunch of Nazis. Not allowing feedback or anything. Garbage garbage garbage. I'm done with them. Get some damn inventory or allow people to view store inventory and buy online for pickup. Welcome to the 21st century. Most stores have figured it out why not TJX/Sierra!!??

Tip for consumers: Be less than a size 9 if your a male looking for sport shoes.

wandas135
5/25/19

Returned merchandise using their label after 20 days. Directions said $6.95 would be deducted from refund for using their label. Held on to paperwork awaited credit card refund. Today received email that my "in-store credit" (for full amount of returned goods) would expire in 10 days if I did not use it!! Called them, talked to Gail, who said that i would have had to "write across the front of return form" that i wanted a refund-- when directions clearly had said no such thing. She said she could put the amount on a gift card for me. After arguing with her further, she said she could refund the gift card to my credit card if I gave her my card #. I continued to argue this was not their stated store policy. She said a refund was impossible because they did not keep card #s past 40 days. I stated i wanted to talk to someone "higher up" when she said, "Oh, i put it on the gift card and it automatically refunded to your credit card!!" LIAR!! I made this online purchase 78 days ago- for that to happen, my card # still had to be in their system. I ONLY got my refund because I persisted and fought with her and would not let go or accept her lame excuses. Disgusting!!

markb1167
4/15/19

I have been buying from this company since the 90's. My latest order took over 10 days to ship. This was an in stock item! I called and they were just plain rude and were more interested in arguing than being helpful. I probably won't receive the jacket (for my wife) in time for our trip and will have to buy something else. I really do wish I had used Moosejaw, Rei, Backcountry or just taken the time to shop locally. I am dreading the return based on all the reviews. Never again for me. Shop at your own risk or just use one of the many great options to buy. That discount is nothing but pain.

michaels2185
4/13/19

I have been shopping at STP since the mid "90s' driving to Cheyenne to find the store stocked with popular brand named items at great value. Since TJMaxx bought out STP things have changed for the worst. They have built stores all across the country filling them with off brand products with a few named brands sprinkled throughout. You use to be able to drive to the warehouse to check items out, not any more and the Cheyenne store is a shell of its old self. What was a store full of quality fishing, camping, hiking and other outdoor products is full of home and off brand crap and they are even raising shipping cost. Sad to see such a once fun place to shop fall so far.

nikolasv1
4/12/19

sierra trading post has gone way down hill since tjmax bought it. It has essentially just turned into a watered down outdoors-ish marshalls.

lesliea82
4/3/19

I've been shopping online with STP since 1999! I used to *love* this place. 90% of my outdoor gear, all my cycling gear, and nearly all my running gear is from STP. They used to be a clearance house for good quality Scandinavian outdoor clothing (Hagloffs, Kelty, the occasional Norrona). Now, it's all junk. All. Of. It. Want some plasticy Underarmour? This is your place!

TJMAXX has run STP into the ground like Kmart. What a drag.

alexandren7
3/26/19

I've been wondering why the shipping had been so slow as of late. I used to place my order and it would be on its way with UPS the next day. Now I periodically check my order just to see if it even left the warehouse. I suspected some changes after the announcement that they had moved. From reading the reviews, I understand they have been bought out... and as a long time customer, I don't feel that it was for the best. It's gonna be hard keeping STP as my go-to outdoor gear provider.

Selection: Seasonal. Not as much on outdoor gear as I remember. That's the main reason I shop on STP. Seems like specialty outdoor gear is getting phased out.
Prices: With the email coupons, prices are still very competitive. If you find something worth buying.
Shipping: Way too slow. I'm used to Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. The old STP would double that time. The new STP will at least triple that.

Disappointing.

Tip for consumers: Sign up for the newsletter/online coupons. They send a different one each day of the week. Don't buy without it. Plan early if you need the item because processing and shipping is slow. If you are not sure of the size, buy all the sizes and return what you don't want if you want to save time. However, they charge you shipping on your returns.

scottk287
3/10/19

I use to shop at STP all the time for high end camping gear, footwear, and clothing.
Now that they have been bought out the merchandise is low end, you now get what you pay for! Glad I bought my Osprey backpack when I did.

scottb664
2/27/19

I've been in the outdoor industry for over 20 years and have always been a huge fan of Sierra trading post for quality name brand outdoor gear at affordable prices. However, it seems that every time I enter one of their stores not only is there less and less outdoor gear and more and more candles, catch phrase signs for your house, and dog beds, but there are no longer any of the quality name brand products!! Last week I was in Ft Collins and this week Salt Lake City and in both cases I could not find anything worth buying. I ended up having to go to REI and make my purchase. The tents they now sell, I can get at TJ Maxx or Walmart, so obviously they have the same buyers. I've never seen such a rapid deterioration of the quality of a store that I have for so long gone to anytime I needed new gear. Unless something drastic changes with their current buyer or corporate strategies, I'm sure I will ever return to their store again. So sad!!

valp17
2/26/19

I shopped at the old STP for many years. Now, I can't find anything I want anymore. It used to be chock-full of "real" outdoor gear, arcteryx jackets, rab, etc.

Now, rugs and dog accessories have taken over. The clothing items are more "urban", and the big outdoors brands are slowly fading. You are more likely to find office wear than hiking wear. It's sad. :(

I honestly can't find one good thing to buy anymore, especially for men. Yeah, there are six god awful Arcteryx shirts left for women, in soccer mom colors and cuts.

tammif1
2/18/19

Looked everywhere for good quality insulated camouflage coveralls. I finally found some but they were all around $100 found some really nice ones here on sale for $49.

craigr106
2/15/19

When ordering the website said it would take 3-8 days to receive the product, it took over a week to get the product shipped! I was notified a week after I placed the order that the product was shipping, it took almost another week to receive the product. Customer Service was relatively unapologetic. Offered to provide a discount on a future order. Really? How insulting and presumptuous! This was my first time to order, why would I consider ordering from you again if you can't get the first order correct? You NEVER get a second chance to make a good first impression. I encourage you to stay away from Sierra Trading Post and order from a company that 1) has quality inventory management in place, 2) understands what it means to be an online company and 3) has a Customer Service organization that truly wants to ensure Customer service. These guys don't get it. They may be fine if you live near one of their stores and you can walk into a brick and mortar location, but as an online provide they don't have what it takes to compete.

chuckw23
2/12/19
• Updated review

The TJX transformation of STP is (sadly) complete. The store where I live now looks exactly like any old TJMaxx - rows and rows of clothes crammed so tightly together it's difficult to browse, with a few end cap style eye catchers. The prices are up, the service is down and the selection is awful. I've stopped shopping there except for the occasional fishing item, where it's clear the buyers have no real idea what they're doing. Case in point: I live in the Rocky Mountains, but I visit northeast Florida several times a year where I like to surf fish. Last fall I checked the fishing supplies and to my surprise there were four high quality sand spikes used as rod holders for surf fishing. I scooped them up at the very reasonable price of $12 each. Aside from the odd surprise like that there's virtually nothing in the store that resembles the old STP.

“Death of an icon - sigh”
9/5/17
• Previous review

I'm not certain what TJX had in mind when they bought STP, but I'd sure like to know. I suppose it will eventually come out somewhere in a blog post, op ed or annual report. We'll see. In any case, whether it was to get access to a customer demographic that just doesn't see the point in TJMAXX (yeah, I've been in a couple of their stores. It's chaos.) or they thought they could turn loyal STP catalog (website) customers into store walkers - they got it wrong.

TJX doesn't do online. That's part of their business model - ignore the web. So they thought "hey, let's buy STP, kill the web business, and open a bunch of stores nationwide to lure those former loyal customers in". Genius. Pure genius.

I initially thought they bought STP to get access to the supply channels that STP had built up over the years for top name brand close outs. If that's true, then why do those brands no longer show up in the stores? It's a mystery to me.

I have a friend who works at the local STP store where I live and the most common question she gets is "What happened to the store?". All the stuff we used to shop for at STP, like (fill in the blank for your favorite outdoor activity) is gone. There used to be a whole wall of camping supplies - now it's an end cap. Same for fishing, hunting, you name it. Now it's seasonal clothes. And more clothes. With brands I've never heard of.

I don't mind change - if it's for the better. But, after two and half years of steady decline I'm losing heart. Case in point: I'm a fly fisherman. There used to be (literally) hundreds of boxes of flies at great prices in the store that took up a large section of the fishing isle. Three years ago I could have broken the bank buying decent quality files at great prices (nearly did!). Fast forward to this year and the flies have been replace with, what?, saltwater lures. Huh? I live in the Rocky Mountains. Perhaps they're saving all the files for the stores they plan to open in Florida?

I guess the good news is that the business model Keith Richardson envisioned and worked so hard to build a company around is now available for re-creation as a replacement for the old STP. Any takers?

Maybe Mr. Richardson will take the $200M he got for STP and start over? Hopefully, he didn't sign a non-compete...

buttonm
2/10/19

I shopped at STP for many years because you could find unusual and very high-quality items at an excellent price. I still have a wool J.G. Glover Peregrine sweater bought years and years ago from STP that I wear constantly, with no pilling -- it made me understand that there IS a difference with certain brands. I also enjoyed the free shipping quizzes and other quirky things (even the weird Jesus message in the "about us" section). I guess those days are over. Now that TJ Maxx owns them it's just a lot of mid- to low-level mall, off-brand, leftovers stuff -- kind of like shopping at TJ Maxx. I guess STP's old buyers who found all that great stuff must have disappeared with the TJMaxx takeover. There is really nothing special about STP (now just called "Sierra") anymore. It's a shame.

kates215
2/8/19

So sorry to see another small business bought up by a conglomerate just to run the business run into the ground. Oh boy, do I miss STP!!!

susanr167
1/21/19

STP used to be great. I've been shopping there for decades and have recommended them to numerous friends and family over years.
They had good prices on quality merchandise, great discount offers, free shipping, ect...
Lately, I've noticed a sharp decline from the company they once were...more expensive, less quality, less in discounts, almost never get free shipping anymore. The most disappointing thing is that you could go to their website and just browse and find something interesting/unusual. Not so true anymore. Going through their catalogue you see bland merchandise and more bland merchandise. Nothing special you can't pick up somewhere else (often for a better price). I still shop there occasionally when I'm looking for something specific but it's just not the same. I guess the TJMAXX buyout is to blame. Too bad.

xcelerationr
1/4/19

Ordered 2 identical winter jackets.
These are made in Mexico.
Retail is about $130 and they were closing them out at $49.
one jacket was perfect.
The second jacket was a lighter jacket (J001) made in USA.
They stuck stickers, made in Mexico,with the item number I ordered over the original Carhartt tag.
Trying to get me to accept the cheaper,USA made jacket,for what I ordered.
They offered to exchange the jacket,but Im not paying tax and shipping on a bait and switch scam.

johnk1224
12/31/18

I am like the other reviews stating that Sierra Trading Post is no longer a bargain priced site. I have purchase since 2007 getting extra discounts on top of already low prices on quality products. Free shipping used to be at 49.99. Now under new ownership. High prices on low quality products. No more extra discounts. Very slow shipping. High free shipping amount. To sum up, I will not looking here to buy in the future. A good idea ruined by takeover greed. Sadly, this has become what is going on today.

seanf104
12/8/18

I know that people generally only write reviews when things don't go well, and I admit I am part of that group. I have been shopping at STP since 2006. They use to send out extra discounts and special deals. Now only free shipping. Never had an issue with shipping on-time until now. They stated it was an update of their system. But after another 2 days and still no shipment, I decided to look at some reviews. Sounds like they are slow to ship items. Didn't use to be this way. I know why Amazon is growing so fast. They still do have some good deals, but will consider other options when purchasing.

richardo134
11/30/18

I love your store. Great stuff at value pricing. If you go in on a lark and find something it is optimal. Ordering is another matter. I ordered a tent from China that came ten days before the sleeping bag I got from Sierra. I gues Wyoming is farther than China. It seems to take three weeks or more. A week to ship and then ....... who knows. I would love to find an alternative to amazon in every segment. I do not th ink you are there yet. You do not post where the product is in the cycle. I am like a child I love watchting my treasure arrive. Hope you find a way to improvement. This to max conglomeration concept is big enough to make a difference if it can get better. I just bought a marmot jacket for my xl wife at camp saver because I just don't believe you can deliver before Christmas. It is the 29 th of November. Pick it up in satisfaction and grow. Hopeful. Good luck

bobbye21
11/28/18

I made a purchase from them and they forgot to include one of the items in the package. I called them in the morning and a representative named "Patty" assured me that she will refund me. I waited a few hours and no email of a refund came to me. This time I did a live chat and spoke to "Alexandria." She said that no refund was ever processed and that she will do it. Why did the first rep lie to me about a refund? I don't know. So Alexandria processes the refund and for the inconvenience she said i will get emailed a $20 gift card for future use. I was happy until i checked my emails and of course what do I see? I got the refund for my item but no gift card emailed to me. Why do these reps lie so much to customers? Never shopping with them again because they are all liars!!

amyt196
11/26/18

I feel like I've lost an old friend. It used to be a fantastic shopping experience but now it's pure frustration. I waited a full 11 days before my order even shipped. Their quality and selection has gone downhill too. I won't be ordering from them anymore. I'm sad.

ericl270
11/22/18

Used to be the best site on internet. Since buyout it is average or below. Prior to buyout no sales taxes were charged since buyout discounts have markedly decreased, selection is down and shipping cost have increased. Certainly not my first choice of places to shop.

hooligand
11/1/18

I have been a long time customer of Sierra Trading Post from well before the TJ Maxx buyout. They have always had great prices and are the first place I go when I'm shopping for outdoor gear and clothing. I have gotten some absolutely smoking deals here over the years. However over the last year I've noticed that the shipping is beyond slow. In the days of two day free shipping I'm not sure how STP expects customers to tolerate their orders sitting in a warehouse for nearly a week before shipping out when they are paying near $10 per order in shipping charges. As a result I simply don't use STP for any items I need in a reasonable time and spend the money elsewhere. It's really a shame because this is really my only complaint with Sierra Trading Post.

Try 6pm. They clear Zappos stuff. Might not have the outdoor "gear" but they have clothing from larger outdoor companies - Northface, Patagonia, etc. sign up for their notifications and they'll send you a 10-15% off every couple of months. Sad about the demise of STP.

By paula m.

When you find out let me know. Backcountry has sales every so often.

By Joe P.

Once you decide to make a return, you can apply online for an INSTANT CREDIT, whereby you will be charged $2.95 for return shipping. Then the item needs to be shipped and IN THEIR HANDS within TEN DAYS. If they receive the item later than ten days, you will be billed an additional $6.95. That said, Sierra Trading Post often gives six months for you to decide if you want to return the item, but recently I have noticed that their policy has changed and some items are not returnable at all. I hope this helps -- I am just figuring out the recent policy changes myself.

By Angel A.

Questions? Get answers from the SierraTradingPost staff and other customers.

3 Photos for SierraTradingPost