Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

mladenk
4/20/19

I made an reservation of a car in Lisbon on rentalcars.com a few days ago with a option to cancel reservation 48 hour before without any payment.

When I try to cancel it due to some reason I couldn't do it on a web because I get following message:
Unfortunately, we can't cancel your booking online at the moment. Don't worry, you can contact us and we'll look into it for you.

When I try to make a contact via web form I didn't get any response nor my reservation was cancelled.

Next day I try to call them on their phone number: +44 161 833 8161 nobody answer because is not working day or hour.

It seems to me that rentalcars.com doesn't allow me to cancel my reservation until deadline to cancel ii free passes.

keithb299
4/18/19

booked interent now goldcar DISASTER returned car week later charged 150euro for water damage to rear seats!!photos were old from previous summer and was not how i returned car in march hadnt been to beach and only me in car..THE PHOTOS used were old and failed to show 3 areas of damage highlighted when car provided.SO FAR GOLDCAR HAVENT REPLIED BUT BEWARE OFTHESE ILLEGAL PRACTICES.TAKEphotos of inside of car now to protect yourself or book with a reputable company

lambs1
4/13/19

It is written that deposit is 500$ on the reservation website, but it was 1800$ at the counter!! (Because I am a international customer ( everyone is!!! )) . Do not use that site, they make money on false informations and the deposit they don't refund. SCAM

carolyns363
4/13/19

About a week out from our trip our daughter decided to join us. I wrote an email asking how much it would cost to upgrade from a compact car to an intermediate car. The response wasn't clear in the price quoted whether it was extra or entire price, as we had already paid I wanted clarification and never received it despite sending two emails and trying to ring. I have used them in the past without problems but will not be using them again. Very disappointing!!!

stephenv52
4/11/19

Rated 77 out of 77 for car hire on Trustpilot for good reason.
Don't be fooled by the initial low cost charge. They will rip you off for supposed scratches incurred.
See also, reports from The Guardian and the BBC.
Do not use Greenmotion.

spartacog
4/10/19

Its is passed one week from my last email and i have not any news relative at "efforts" against BUDGET's company that have taked my 2.700,00 from my credit card, with an Total assurance that have should protect me.

I spoke with my lawyer saying that there are all condition for to bring BUDGET company and your rental car in Judged in court.

ashleighj5
4/5/19

When I entered the porta-cabin office of InterRent, who were booked via RentalCars.com, there were seven people in there, all experiencing issues simultaneously. One lady was shouting because she was being refused a car due to not being a UK national and would have to re-book for £700, another was crying because the damage that InterRent had taken pictures of before their hire had 'disappeared' and were being denied by the company (also happened to another man who arrived later), a man returned to report his car had broken down before he'd left the car park, and several people were scrolling through their e-mails desperately trying to find where in the T&Cs they had messed up to be refused a car as was happening to the majority (including us).

Thankfully we were in a position to leave and pursue the company later, and upon walking into the main car rental office we were greeted with polite laughter from Avis and Enterprise and the words "Let me guess, they told you you could only have the car if you paid them £64?" - apparently an hourly occurrence and well-known scam.

When I phoned rentralcars.com for assistance on site, I was shouted at and belittled by the member of staff before he advised he could only speak to the person with the name on the booking, my father. When I offered to hand the phone to my father, the member of staff hung up. After much pursuing after the trip, I was eventually refunded the full amount (yet to be received, but we live in hope).

lauras641
4/4/19

Rented a car through Booking.com and the time was incorrect. The agreement stated 12AM which I thought covered if my flight arrived late and they cancelled my reservation at EASIRENT and when contacted they hung up on me and said I was going to be charged anyway. The car rental company stated they needed to charge me $150.00 dollars more and I had no choice !! The car was disgustingly dirty and then when I drove away the "MAINTENCE REQUIRED" light came on and when I called I would have to return the car to original site in Orlando !!!
COMPLETE RIP-OFF DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM OR EASIRENT CAR RENTAL IN ORLANDO. CUSTOMER SEERVICE RUDE AT RENTAL CAR AGENCY AND BOOKING.COM

jayw6
4/1/19

DO NOT PAY INADVANCE!!! They will not offer you a refund if you are not able to rent the vehicle!!! They will also fight your credit card company if you dispute the charges!!!

lucianal4
4/1/19

I´m from Brazil and was making a reservation to Chile. All the screens made me think I would be charged R$ 776,54, but in my card came and extra of R$ 376,8. They are not transparent. Very bad company, should be closed forever.

garyh506
3/29/19

Once you book your car on the Internet and give them your credit card number you can never cancel they won't answer the phone or email you back when you try to email them

lindas1178
3/29/19

Booked a car, fulfilled my portion of the contract with Rentalcars.com. Was not able to rent the car. They kept the deposit on the grounds that the pick-up time was already passed. Of course it was. You pick up the car at the pick-up time. If a problem arises after that time, they keep your money. My advice: read the fine print, and avoid this company at all costs, especially when there are a lot of ethical booking companies out there.

bjk9
3/29/19

TOTAL FRAUD. They misguide with low price. They clobber you once you give them your cc info. They won't let you cancel and never get through on the phone.
Im still fighting to get my money back.

panxp
3/23/19

I booked a car for 7 days and I thought I will collect on the same day but something come up so straight away (30 mins) later I tried to cancel the booking but they charge me 3 days of rental. That a joke because if I cancel before 48hr then it is free but in this case it was same day booking so they charged me. I just booked and cancel. How can that cost them money!!!! Not happy!

I only wanted the car for 5 day instead of 7.

angelab398
3/22/19

Booked a rental car and then tried to cancel but could never get through on the phone. Never used the car but they refused to refund me. Scam. Do not do business with this company!!!?!

victorias230
3/20/19

They charge me doble.
For 8 days Usd1,725 and usd 3,000 as warranty
I've been fighting since January and I still have nothing returned to my account.

ellenv21
3/19/19

Total fraude, they Made me pay 400 extra. Answer of rentalcars : you signed so you agree to,our terms. Scandalous , it was signing or not going on a holliday with my kids

markr734
3/18/19

Fraudsters/Criminals. This company gets you involved with Eurocars in Cancun Mexico. Then the problem begins. The insurance they sell you is not accepted and when you get to Cancun the price triples. Fraud. Unless you pay a $20,000 deposit. If you read the reviews you will see hundreds of others with the same experiences.

benw246
3/17/19

This company is a fraud. They took my money, gave me a confirmation code and left me high and dry. Customer service is non existent. I called from the airport but they were closed. I have sent numerous emails and have received no reply. They left me stranded at the airport and they could care less. Numerous emails to their corporate headquarters go unanswered. Given that they are in the UK there is not much I can do.

dc332
3/14/19

Rented a cheap car for £15, but after confirming I received the certificate outlining over £80 in additional and unaviodable fees. Although this was from Goldcars, it is rentalcars.com hiding these fees that make them accomplices. Scam company, avoid!

I will update if company contacts me for a refund.

jodya32
3/13/19

I booked a car on rentalcars.com. Got to the rental counter - no such reservation. They charged my card and I had no reservation. On hold for 40 minutes with of course no answer. Had to rent another car at very high rate. Now have been charged for 2 rental cars reservations and can't get refund. I am filing compliant with FTC and also filed fraud claim with my credit card. USE ANYONE TO GET A RENTAL CAR EXCEPT THIS COMPANY NO MATTER WHAT THE COST!!!

billyo21
3/9/19

Avoid rentalcar.com under all circumstances

My flight was cancelled so I was unable to get to the hire office before closing. I tried on numerous occasions, through email and phone calls to contact them to inform them I would be late due to a cancellation,to no avail. The following morning I finally got through on the phone to be told my hire was cancelled and I was not entitled to any form of refund. I explained if I was not entitled to a refund I would pick up the car later that day, only to be told if I wanted a car later that day I would have to rebook it and pay the full amount again.

Through no fault of my own and very unhelpful staff I am out of pocket.
I contacted enterprise car rental . The staff were courteous and could not do enough to help me. They were very apologetic for my treatment on my first visit to their country.

AVOID RENTALCAR.COM AT ANY COST THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

marcelom30
3/7/19

I reserve a car with them in Portugal, but I needed to cance my reservationl and no costumer service to answer my calls, and they keep over U$500 from me.

teel12
3/3/19

They charged my credit card for the rental and sent an email saying they had issues and can't process my credit card. I'm looking at my credit card charges and see the amount charged FIVE days ago. So I went ahead and canceled the reservation (30 days prior) and they NEVER sent me an email confirmation nor did they refund me for the amount... it's been 2 weeks. I just got off the phone with them. The rep said they had a system' issue and never received my payment nor did they receive my cancellation! Wow, really!? I'm staring at my charge right now! They told me it will have to be manually entered to get me reimbursed and that It will take 5-7 business days. I highly doubt it and will dispute the charges with my credit card company if I don't see any updates within 5 days. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY!

jackk168
3/1/19

I booked $1,500 3-week rental for a mini-van in Austria. Same day of booking I arrived at airport and the rental car company didn't have the vehicle I needed, so I cancelled and went with Avis, who had what I needed. Now rentalcars.com charged me the full amount, saying that I can't cancel less than 48 before the pick-up. How can you cancel more than 48 hours before if you booked the same day of arrival? Also, how can one be expected to pay $1,500 for something they did not receive? This is fraud, and I am disputing with my credit card company. Whatever special deal you think you will get booking with rentalcars.com, believe me it's not worth the risk. Don't do it. Use a real company and don't pay anything up front. No voucher, just a reservation. Warn everyone you know... do NOT do business with this company. If my CC company doesn't charge this back, I am going to sue rentalcars.com. I don't care if it costs me $20,000... as long as it costs them more than the $1,500 they are trying to STEAL from me. They will not make a DIME off of me now. Had they charged me some reasonable cancellation fee (under $100) I might have grudgingly paid it. But no way are they getting a penny from me now. I will see them in court first. At this point it has become personal.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

6 Photos for RentalCars.com