Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

stevef463
12/12/19
Be careful with this company. We arrived in the UK and went to collect the car from Europcar, to be told we needed a bigger car to get all our luggage in. We were upgraded at a premium price and the vehicle provided was too big and expensive, but after 24 hours on a plane with 2 kids under 5, we just wanted to drive the 4 hours to our destination and sleep.
We returned the car the next day where Europcar cancelled the orginal booking (with Rental Car) and we took a new booking out for a smaller car. We were told we need to get a refund from Rentalcar.com as we had used the car orginally booked for 24 hours and the booking had been cancelled.
It's been 2 months and 10 emails later, yet I am still being told they are are "investigating the issue", we have paperwork showing the cancellation as well as the new booking, and have provided all this to rental car.....still waiting on $1500 AUD refund.....
This has left a bad taste after a nice holiday.
karenk893
12/10/19
This company is not based in the US so good luck getting any help with an issue. The person I spoke to was rude and not willing to help me. If I would have known this company wasn't based in the US I would not have used them. Shady practice appearing like a US company and being outside the US and with different regulations. Never use this company. No response to any questions or in calling.
marlenc5
12/9/19
Attention customers,
Had to cancel my Booking with carrentals.com at the location they suggested me to pick up the car.
The lady at the front desk said that cancellation its been processed and the money will be returned on my account.
Called local company also carrentals.com and they suggest to submit online claim.
Submitted an online claim and got an email from carrentals.com that cancellation its been processed and approved but the cancellation fee was the exact amount of money they took as down payment from me.
Called local company and they said that no money has never been taken from them.
Very Dissapointed from the carrentals.com
Booking reference no ; 642816438
paulr724
12/7/19
I flew to Washington from Cape Town and had booked a car through Rentalcars.com. after 24 hrs of flying I reached the rental outlet only to be told that the would not accept my international drivers licence and I did not have my national licence on me. I was stranded and now had to check into a hotel and book a train ticket and two taxi rides to get to my destination costing 300$ and Rentalcars.com refused to refund me anything. No car, no apologies.
je166
12/6/19
1. Rentalcars.com - email received with booking number, no address where to pick up car - in Atocha station Madrid only information and "Provider" - Record. So you think to go to the area with all the hire car firms are. Think again. Helpful lady in Alamo pointed me in right direction. 10 minutes walk from Atocha.
2. Record - the provider. Pay 1100 excess please on credit card. Insert in pay point. NEVER been asked for such a steep excess bond before. I ultimately declined.
3. Record - the provider. Pay 70 insurance cover instead... ( I had already paid 42 full premium cover with Rentalcars.com.)
3. Rentalcars.com rang - you can drop our insurance and pay Record insurance. 42+ 70 = 112 for a one day car hire.
4. I am taking the metro today.
Thieves @ Record; Cowboys @ Rentalcars.com
5. Intermediary www for car hire. Nothing to see here. Go directly to providers.
gregoryg168
12/5/19
I rented a passenger van using rentalcars.com for my family vacation in Greece. I was refused the rental at the Athens airport as I did not have an international drivers license. I'm well aware that they are needed in some countries and have purchased this before. However, on the rentalcars.com site this information was so buried it would be impossible to find. They did have a section at the top of the rental page that misled me into believing all I needed was a valid passport, drivers license and credit card. A total fraud. When I called to complain they refused to refund me the $350 for the van. I ended up paying $650 at Avis bringing my rental total to $1000 for ten days of a van. At this point I've heard nothing back from rentalcars.com. Avoid them. Don't be pennywise. Go directly to the merchants and avoid this scam site.
peterc544
11/30/19
I rented a car from Manchester Airport In July for 5 weeks. Rentalcars took full payment form my credit card for the hire but when I went to pick-up the car, I was told I would have to pay an extra 17 pound because I was picking up the car early. How early was It?. It was 20 minutes early. I asked if I came back in 20 minutes would I be charged extra, the guy said "No" I came back after 25 minutes, the guy took my details, driving license and so on, then asked my for my credit card for any damages when the car was returned. The company refused to take my credit card because it did not have a 'chip' in the card. This is the same card I used to pay Rentalcars. After being humiliated at the desk, I then had to find my own transport to Shropshire. I emailed Rentalcars on July 15, finally (because they hide there email address on the site) explained what had happened and expressed I would like a refund and explanation, why Rentalcars accepted my credit card but I was not told it would be refused at the Airport. At this moment, 30th November (That is 6 months) I have not had an explanation or a refund. I am still waiting! I also have a voice recording of my conversation at the Airport.
leonidm4
11/28/19
offers low prices, extract money, after which they find the kind of motives to not give you the services and, sure, no refund. avoid rentalcars, there are a lot of honest companies
sa226
11/28/19
An hour and 15 minutes delay and due to this they refused to provide a car and refused to refund my payment of £288 because in small letters in terms and conditions said they would refuse. Completely fraudulent behaviour and shameless in it.
ians241
11/26/19
If I could give Zero stars I would ! . Awful service with misleading adverts so beware when you book through them. I booked a car recently, a lesser model was supplied. The car I initially ordered did not have a sat nav so I paid extra for one. The lesser model had a sat nav making this extra cost redundant. So for my many pounds spent I got a lesser car and paid extra for something that was not needed. When I reported to them they said there was nothing that I could do and they could offer me possibly a few pounds off another car hire!! They then had the cheek to ask to be marked highly on any customer satisfaction surveys !! - An awful company avoid !!!
janetg224
11/25/19
Absolutely terrible
Absolutely terrible. We paid more just to ensure we were covered. Our flight into Pula was due to land at 9.30 p.m. and was late. We arrived to pick up the car about 10.15 and was astounded that we had to wait 45 minutes in a queue (with only two in front of us) while they tried to sell every foreseeable extra to the people in front. Then they tried with us. You need to realise that if you book fully comprehensive as we did, to cover all eventualities, you are not buying it from the rental company. We added an additional driver, but then found out it was only basic because it was not with the same company. We then were told we had to pay an extra 39 Euros amount for late pick up as it was after 9.00 p.m. but we were always going to arrive after that time, so it should have been quoted for. Customer service, appalling, they have taken months to come back, completely missed the point of our complaint and then said we need to claim against our insurance company. Absolutely disgraceful. Whatever you do, book direct with a hire company. Oh, and to add to this, when we tried to exit the car park, it did not recognise the number plate so we had to go back in to get the gates lifted. All after a flight, when you are tired. Appalling.
paulp592
11/23/19
I wouldn't touch this company with a 10 foot barge pole... they will fob you off if you have a dispute on your return after paying for extras you had already paid for!!!. you pre pay up front before you leave and then told on your arrival told you are not covered.... Rentalcars on my return just fobbed me off......AVOID
siamaks2
11/23/19
I paid for a top category car and they downgraded when I went to pick up the car and wanted to charge me 150$ extra, after 2 months of complaints and multiple phone calls, only agreed to refund 44$ as of a good will and didn't accept their fault.
Therefore take home message is: NEVER get the car with these websites and always rent it from the dealer itself
kirsting4
11/20/19
Hired a car, collected from Sixt and was advised of extra insurance which I declined and everything else covered. Didn't select any additional options. Had to give my credit card as down-payment of £1000 in case there was any damage to the car. Returned fine, no concerns. I was advised there were no additional charges. Few weeks later they charged my account £60... Rental cars gave me the runaround as they said it was Sixt's problem and surprisingly Sixt did the same... £60 extra for insurance that I didn't request and a fuel charge that was apparently included in what I paid for already. Would never book with them again!!
buffya1
11/16/19
I rented a car from Rentalcars.com from Orlando airport online two weeks prior to my arrival once I landed I wasn't able to find which car dealer I was renting from someone told me I had to take a shuttle about a mile away to get the car I should have known that was a red flag when I got there I gave the lady my reservation number she told me it did not exist and she does not a have a car for me the look on her face told me this happens all the time she told me you need to call the company you rented from so I did I explained to them there is no car for me and they put me on hold for twenty minutes only to tell me they could not help me so I was taken back on the shuttle to the Orlando airport without a car I end up spending $400 dollars for the five days because It wasn't booked in advance which by the way the booking agent at the airport said to me anytime you have to get a shuttle to get a car is usually fishy so my advice to anyone who books from these people ask a lot of questions they should be put out of business they don't even exist in the USA.
stanislavs11
11/10/19
Considering RentalCars.com for car hire? No doubt they have fantastic profitable business model and it is for a reason. You will part with your money without getting the car in exchange for worst-customer-service experience, a rela life Gold Coast attraction with rudely screaming customer service ladies. Read on to learn what you should expect and what you should not expect from RentalCars.com and their customer service.

Things you you would not expect but should expect.

Do not get enticed by the low rental rates. The terms include whopping $4500 excess fee. In the end of the rental process, you end up paying three times the original rental rate to protect yourself in various insurance conditions. In total, we payed $400 rent for smallest car for 4 days, including the rental rate, two lots of insurance, Uber fees to get to the hotel and back while trying to pick up our car.

The pickup point for your rental car is not in the airport. You must have a working local phone connection to call a local phone number to be picked up. A shuttle bus will come, after an unpredictable length of time, to take you to a suspicious parking lot on the outskirts of a factory district. The rental voucher does warn you that the pickup point is off-airport, so you should be ready for adventures.

In fact, the car pickup service is not always available when planes arrive. You should be prepared that noone answers the pickup phone and voicemail suggests you should call back the next morning. It is just an unfortunate circumstance that nowhere on the car hire agreement there is a reference to this condition.

When you arrive the next morning, you will find that your car has been released from the hire and re-rented to the next customer because you did not turn up on time. No-one will attempt to contact you or call you to find if anything is wrong. The "no-show" condition is spelled out in the Terms and Conditions, so you should be prepared to be stranded without the car even though you already paid for it. And your money are not refundable!

Things you should not expect but they happen anyway:

The office workers know their options to earn extra income very well! When we arrived to pickup the car and found that the car is not available any more, the attendants very quickly escalated the conversation to create a hostile environment of threat and confusion. They showed no respect or customer care! The two attendants combined efforts to verbally abuse me and my wife at the top of their pitch, bearing teeth and using other ways of threat and intimidation. I was scared. We had been given no other option than to flee the place to avoid damage to our eardrums and look for alternative car rental arrangements!
They knew their business very well. The customer does not get the refund if does not call from the counter!

However, to finish the story on a positive note, we came back to the airport, where we hired the car on the spot from Avis, paying less for a better car even without prior reservation, with zero excess and with friendly customer service! Oh what a scam is this Rentalcars.com ! Next time, Avis for sure!
jacekc1
11/8/19
RentalCars.com services carry the notion of fraudulent practices. Their website is a social engineering minefield filled with booby traps designed to create a sense of desperate fight for the "best deal" while they are literally "slipping through our fingers". PANIC! THE CLOCK IS TICKING GODDAMNIT!

RentalCars.com offer comparison page is deliberately deceiving their customers into thinking that the prices displayed on the page are the definitive cost of rental (see "1_search_engine" screenshot attached). As it turns out the customer is being surcharged for the so called "additional services" that happen to be mandatory effectively hiding the real cost of the rental and rendering the comparison page faulty and useless.

RentalCars.com options page does not indicate that any mandatory surcharge is required - the price continues to seem definitive (see "2_options_page" screenshot attached).

RentalCars.com payment details page is designed in a way to trick the customer into an expectation that the greyed out "Fuel Service Charge" is a cost of fuel subject to partial refund as indicated in the center part of the page, not a mandatory charge that he has no way to refuse (see screenshot "3_payment_page" attached).

And finally, RentalCars.com booking summary page continues to uphold an illusion of a fully paid booking by displaying the "total summary" of the booking payments without no mention of the mandatory charges, ultimately ensuring the customer that he had paid the full amount (see "4_booking_summary" screenshot attached).

"Shocklingly" - he did not. The payment on the website is just an advance fee and the real cost of your rental awaits at the desk of the factual car rental provider.

To add insult to injury, on the starting day of my failed rental I was misinformed by their customer service agent ensuring me that the charge of 25 was subject of partial refund dependent on the amount of fuel in the returned car, which turned out to be a blatant lie.

The hidden mandatory costs of the rental sandwiched somewhere in-between the 2593th and 2594th line of the terms and conditions cannot justify the mischievous trickery they openly subject the misinformed customers on their website.

I repeat, RentalCars.com is A SCAM.
sb443
11/8/19
• Updated review
Following Rentalcars agents advice, I managed to open a case after the contracted rental period was completed. Case submission is tricky; my advice is to prepare all your supporting attachments ready to attach from your laptop before you start. On the case entry page, you are only given a 350 character field in which to enter your case summary.
Since this is usually insufficient, prepare and attach a separate file with your full account of what happened and what you are claiming.

Try to complete the case summary and uploading of attachments promptly otherwise you may have to start again. On case submission, you will see an onscreen confirmation message and email with subject "Looking into your issue". After that, it took several emails on my part to expedite a refund - it took about 6 weeks. Other than the fact that denial of service at the time on a technicality totally disrupted my holiday plans, there was significant extra cost of booking a replacement hire car with another more reasonable supplier than Europcar!
“Not trustworthy”
8/29/19
• Previous review
They will accept your booking readily, then if the booked supplier refuses to release the car for any unusually stringent condition, you will be referred back to Rentalcars will not offer you any alternative booking and keep your money, blaming you for breach of terms and conditions, quoting huge cancellation costs. I had to book direct with another UK supplier at considerable extra cost, but with the same driver documentation!

Rentalcars have told me to open a case after the contracted rental period is completed, even if you never received the car! Why the wait? After all that, instructions to open a case are obscure and make one wonder if they really want to help. So far it has not been a pleasant first-time experience with Rentalcars.
matta147
11/7/19
Booked a car through RentalCars.com that included a $600, oneway dropoff fee since we were picking it up in Lefkada and dropping off in Athens. When we arrived at the airport, the line was about 15 people long, the counter was chaos and not a single person in line was processed in the 30 minutes we stood there waiting. Since we had to catch a ferry, and other rental companies were wide-open, I rented a car from Hertz. I immediately emailed RentalCars.com to inform them we could not pick up the car and ask for a refund. They refused, saying i had not followed their terms and conditions. The fact that my car was not available when i was supposed to pick it up makes that unfair. However, even if I could choke that down, the fact that they also refused to refund my one-way fee for a car that I never took anywhere and, therefore, did not incur any one-way delivery or recovery costs is just STEALING! This company is rotten, and every review I have read since makes it clear that is how they operate. Buyer beware! You will NOT get what you paid for (and possibly not get anything at all, like I did).
kevino173
11/7/19
I also will never use rentalcars.com again. I recently rented a car in Brussels. Upon arrival at the Hertz counter I was hit with significant additional fees. I pointed out where Rentalcars.com email and receipt stated what was supposed to be the total cost. As indicated the rentalcars.com fees were "non-refundable." I, therefore, took the rental and later complained, with no success, to Rentalcars.com. (They stated that I should read the fine print, I forwarded them their own emails, pointing out what their emails and receipt said, to which they stopped communicating.) Fortunately, I disputed the charge with my credit card and was fully credited the Rentalcars.com charge. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
markf670
10/31/19
Unethical for sure: they know there is a recurring problem with debit/credit cards and only leave it in the T&C - realising full-well that the deals aren't half as good if they would be clearer about the issue. In the end, they wanted to charge me double what the booking first cost at the counter (ie telling the first!) - and the same happened to others in line - in my country, Hungary, credit cards are not the norm, everyone uses debit cards. I refused to pay, rented a car at another company (Avis - for some reason they were fine with my debit card) and it cost about the same as the surcharge i would have had to pay for my Rentalcars.com booking. I contacted them, they knew the issue before I spelled it out and refused to refund... Sounds like a scam to me.
johnathans30
10/30/19
I am in the Military and I been to many countries and never came across a scam like this before This company/website need to be reported and everyone needs to be aware of their fraud. First they put on the site free cancellation then when you call they tell you they cannot refund your money for a car you didn't even receive.

Tip for consumers: don't use this site

aleksanderk11
Aleksander K.
10/30/19
Horrible service, its better to book directly with the car rental company. Should anything go wrong and for me it did several times you are screwed. They will not cover your back in any case. They got their commision and that is all they care about. Even if you provide solid proof such as pictures, documentation they will reject any complaint you might have. STAY AWAY its not worth the trouble.
innistt
10/21/19
I used it for a car rental. Big mistake. The price was too high, which I did not realize until I used the app again to reserve another car and what was displayed was different than the final screen, which contained the final amount. It was thrice the price. I tried to cancel it right away and although it was less than an hour after the booking the app wanted to charge me almost $200 dollars to cancel. I was fortunate in that I was able to contact a human being at Rentalcars.com and that person refunded the entire rental amount.

In addition, the first rental I booked using the app I was quoted $264, way too high, and the rental car agency charged an additional $300. My first mistake was to think a four day rental was worth $264 and secondly to rent from Budget Rental Car. Their fees and options are a pure "rip off." Never will I use Budget or the Rentalcars.com app. I am finished !
chriss1581
10/21/19
I rented a car on a Tuesday for a Friday and canceled within 24 hours on Wednesday. They billed me for the entire rental fee because they said I was within the 48 hours of cancelation.
I spoke with a Hector Sanchez, manager (so he said) of Rentalcars.com, and told him I know I canceled within the 48 hour period and he refused to listen to my complaint and refused to let me speak with one of his managers.
For an act of using renting a car via Rentalcars.com and canceling within 24 hours, it has cost me over $100. And then to be treated like that through their customers service was and is absurd.
I will continue to take my complaint to their highest management for Rentalcars.com stealing my money.
1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?