Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

allens148
7/16/19
• Updated review

They caused me an inadvertant hardship on their website by saying the auto I had chosen was no longer available to rent but then charging for the insurance. This flagged my credit card company and they froze my account. When I got through to RentalCars.com the next morning they quickly cancelled everything, found that the car had actually been reserved (twice actually since I tried twice). They worked to get the money refunded quickly to the now-frozen account.
I will consider using them because they handled their error quickly and well.

“Charged twice for trip insurance even through they didn't book the car”
6/27/19
• Previous review

Applied to book a car on their site. They said the car was no longer available at that price but they still charged for the trip insurance. I refused the charges so my card is locked and I can't use it for fuel to get home or to book a car rental somewhere else.
Fwiw each time I went back to their original site the car was still available. Each time they said the car wasn't available at the original rate they gave a link for $30 greater rate.
I can't give proof of purchase

eriks133
7/14/19

Stay Away from this company please, they are only looking too take your money and dont care about the customers

kimt245
7/13/19

2nd time renting from this booking agency. This time they kept the deposit money. Because when I picked up the rental from dollar rent a car they told me I needed to go back to rental cars.com to get the deposit back. And there claiming it's a car hire fee. The first time I went thru this company the deposit was figured as part of the rental.

marwanm11
7/10/19

UNTRUSTWORTHY COMPANY AND LIKELY SCAM. I never picked up the rental car and they still billed me. They are amateurs and don't know the first thing about keeping their reputation clean. They don't care AND WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. DON'T USE THEM AND SPREAD THE WORD! i had to dispute charge on my credit card. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM

roberta745
7/8/19

Booked a car with rentalcars.com, but was told by website that the booking had failed . Tried again this time "successfully " ,however ,yesterday they took over £700 from my bank account, and I find that they have taken more money in small amounts , 6 times in all. I've reported them to the police ...and I'm not the first!!! The police's own fraud team have flagged them up. Stay away from them at all costs.

Tip for consumers: If you come across rentalcars.com, leave their site immediately and stay away....unless you want to be defrauded or robbed!

dimas18
7/6/19

completely unprofessional costumer service, after booking the car online costumer service confirm in writing that you will get exactly the same car you booked, however upon pick up you get completely different car and upon raising complaint and showing the proof script from online chat 6 different service agents dosent take you serious but reply that rental cars guaranty only class of the car not a make even seeing that one of the employees confirm particular car.After all this I asked to provide the contact of person incharge i was given the phone number of the costumer service, unacceptable worst service ever.

davidk860
7/5/19

Very supportive prior to renting, Rentalcars.com failed to let me know there was a 30 Euro Location Fee Charged by Dollar Car Rental on site at Dublin Airport. I had no choice but to pay this, and I've heard nothing from Rentalcars.com since then. I cant' log in to my own account, for they never sent me the needed code, and no subsequent needed code has been received from them although their website tells me they have sent it each time I request one. Rentalcars.com and Dollar are not companies I would recommend to anyone.

naamab
7/4/19

STAY AWAY unless you want to be double charged for your car rental!
We ordered a car through Rentalcars.com & paid in full in advance. After we came back from our vacation we find another (larger) charge on our credit card, this time from Budget.
We contacted Rentalcards customer service: Once they say this kind of double charge is a known fraud. Another time they say that the charge is for insurance (we took only 3rd party insurance and this charge wasn't for that). Once again they say it's not us - contact Visa (who say contact Rentalcars...) Every time there's a different story.
Bottom line is we rented through Rentalcars and if Budget double dip, they are the one who should protect their customers from that. They gave us the run around for a few months and bottom line say - Sorry. We really understand your point but you won't get your money back... STAY AWAY unless you like unwelcomed surprises!!!

elil30
7/4/19

I booked through them a car in israel in a company called Cal Auto. They bike me 1730 for damage that was already there when I received the car. I made a video before taking the car so when I return it I have proof of the condition of the car. I'm trying desperately to get my money back.
Also, I paid for the extended insurance just in case but that insurance is a scam also. They told me to go to my credit card company and file a dispute.
Scam company. Beware of both Rentalcars.com and Cal Auto in Israel.

grahamh82
6/30/19

Simple request - 4 "chat" attempts - where is the rental car pickup desk / location @ cancun airport -
"could try ringing them when you arrive - look for signs when you arrive ?.'

I'll stick with direct bookings / Expedia / I book lots of cars.

philt70
6/29/19

Pre-paid for car, then had to pay again at pickup. Rentalcar.com refused to refund the pre-pay and gave me the run around. I don't think they are ethical.

cameronb103
6/27/19

I booked a car and used their system online to amend the booking for a different airport. The amendment process was easy and said I'd receive an email confirming the change.
The morning of the rental comes and I still haven't received an email. I called and asked about it. They said no amendment was processed and I'm out a total loss. They said I book through them again they'd return 40 dollars out of the 130... I explained over and over it was a technical issue and feel like they were at least partially responsible. I talked to "Lloyd" who was very rude and insisted it was fully my fault. I wanted to compromise to no avail. He wouldn't give me his last name or employee number so I couldn't locate him through his managers. If you're hiding your name you're probably acting unprofessional.

Needless to say don't pay them ahead of time. If you change your reservation you won't get your money back and will try to extort you to use their terrible service again. I learned my lesson by outright losing 130 dollars.

bn62
6/26/19

Please if you want to stay true, make sure you have a good support staff that will respond to the grievances of customers. When you are done with long transatlantic flight and waiting to get your car from an agent that is unable to provide you one with your (rentalcars.com) booking, the last thing you want is unanswered phone calls. OK the next day I did try to call your representative. Two times the phone was answered and put on hold with nobody attending the call. By this point I had lost my patience. What gives!

charlesm594
6/25/19

Ill spare you the details, but yes, they are scam artists. They did not allow me to cancel when I had already been told I could, and the company they deal with charged me an extra $100 out of nowhere. I could have easily bypassed them but suffered due to it. Nobody answered any of my questions and kept passing me around to different numbers until they gave me a disconnected number. I highly recommend you stay the hell away from this website.

jb1109
6/25/19

Dont need to say much else. The booking price is not real or honored by the rental cad company. You're payment is just a down payment!

kimberlyl199
6/25/19

NEVER EVER EVER use this company. They list information implying they offer free cancellation and $0 payment at time of rental. Really... they charge a "deposit" that is listed as $200 when checking out (I was actually charged $264.71). When I discovered a much cheaper rental before traveling I was horrified to learn you can cancel for free, however, your deposit is NOT REFUNDED. Shame on Rentalcars.com for having such shady business practices!!!!

irinal18
6/25/19

First and last time I use this service. I booked a car with them in Paris and paid full amount oт reservation. They convinced that the amount is final and no need to pay extra. What was a surprise when at the end of mу trip the rental company - Sixt in this case - has debited from my credit card additional money.

All attempts to contact RentalCars.com and clarify the situation were unsuccessful, the phone numbers do not work. I'm writing this review so you can be forewarned. Think twice before choosing this cheater ...

jeffa203
6/24/19

Stay away from this company. They did not properly disclose to me which I made the reservation that the actual rental car rental company requires an international driver's license in Greece. The car rental company staff told me at the airport that they cannot rent a car to me. They told me I should contact the rentalcars.com and try will refund the deposit. The company has refused to make a full refund so far. I'll take my case to my credit card company. US citizens should stay away from this company.

youssefe17
6/23/19

Yes , RentalCars.com is a scam , I reserved a car with them and I decided a week before to cancel it because I decided to use my car , but when I cancelled I was shocked that they did not want to return my money that they take for rental , I called their customer service , they don't respond.

ronb354
6/23/19

They manage to obtain cheap prices from the rental companies, but at the end of the rent these companies will always find a way to charge you for an extra and when you contact Rentalcars for support they will not take responsibility and tell you to contact the rental company directly. Watch out it looks cheap in the beginning but always very expensive at the end

petrk18
6/20/19

The bank noticed unusual activity in charging for the car and full insurance right after the reservation. That is not typical for car companies. Immediately cancelled the whole deal. Thanks god. Might change my credit card too.

alejandrog46
6/19/19

This company is a "middle-man" with misleading fees. I was charged a $200 deposit, which I'm fine with. However, at no point during the checkout was I informed that they would be adding an additional $100 "Car Hire Charge". This is on top of what I'm already paying the actual car rental company. Such a scam. There is no other booking company (Kayak, Expedia, Priceline) that charges some sort of middle-man fee. Go elsewhere.

jc802
6/17/19

Stay away from this people, total rip off, will never use again in my life!!!
Booked 4 x days car hire from Palermo Airport. We landed approx 21:00 and after finding out our supplier (Rhodium???) was actually Gold Car we was told they cannot accept Amex for the deposit. My wife offered to pay the deposit with a Visa Card but we were told that although Gold Car do not have an issue doing that, we need to call RentalCars in order to clear it with them. We called and after approx 10-15 minutes of not getting anywhere I asked to speak to a manager. I was put through to Jose(??) and he bluntly advised that he will not add my wife on the policy as it was now past the collection time by 10-15 minutes. He said he can only cancel the existing booking and after we wait another 2 hours he can "try" find us another car. By then it was already approx 22:00 so we would've had to wait another 2 hours in the airport and than hope José will sort another car out which meant we had a pretty good chance of spending the whole night in the Airport. I obviously declined his offer and had to pay 3 times the initial cost to hire another car. Deleted the app straight away and decided to NEVER USE THEM AGAIN! Lesson learned...

benh220
6/14/19

Scammers. You will be charged excessive additional insurance on arrival £300 for 7days on small economy cars and holding fee of £1500-£2000 then last of all you need to be a credit card holder but by that time you have lost everything payed and will NOT have a car or your money back also left stranded. Easihire by Cardiff inside of holiday inn stay well clear and book from enterprise direct

vijalp1
6/13/19

Until this experience, I have NEVER posted on a public platform and rarely review companies, but I felt compelled to do so with this rental car company, so that another traveler doesn't go through the same horrible experience with rentalcars.com as I did. My boyfriend and I planned a perfect romantic vacation in Santorini, Greece and followed SantoriniDave's recommendation of rentalcars.com (big mistake)! Firstly, they advertised our rental car as automatic (being Americans, neither of us can drive shift!) and we booked it as such, but when we arrived tired from a 10 hour journey to the AVIS counter, the attendant informed us that the reservation was actually for a manual and that this company is notorious for advertising automatic cars, but relaying the reservation information to AVIS as manual (he said it happens all the time). As you can imagine, we were scared and stressed that we wouldn't be able to get an automatic car without a prior reservation. Thankfully, Hertz had an available automatic, though it was almost triple the price we'd paid through rentalcars.com After an hour on the phone with multiple rentalcars.com agents, explaining their error over and over, we were told that we would get reimbursed for the original rental, plus the difference between what we paid for the original and what we'd end up paying for the Hertz rental. We followed their instructions to a T- cancelling the AVIS rental, submitting a receipt for the Hertz rental, and following up numerous times for weeks- AND THEY HAVE STILL NOT PROVIDED US OUR REFUND! We are both hard-working individuals who saved up for this dream vacation, in hopes that it would be a smooth time, given all of our efforts in planning. But now we are flabbergasted and stressed about how shrewd and cunning this British company is- making us jump through unnecessary hoops, preying on us, just so they don't have to pay us back money that is rightfully ours. NEVER RENT WITH THEM OR YOU WILL BE OUT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, STRANDED IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY, LEFT TO FEND FOR YOURSELF. If I don't get my money back soon, I'll be asking a lawyer friend of mine to step in.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?