Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

vladimirm40
8/16/19

I have used Rentalcar services several times and was generally satisfied with this service. But in the last year and a half, I have had two big problems with cars ordered through Rentalcar.
A year ago, in Australia, during a PickUp, it suddenly became clear that I could not enter Tasmania with the booked car. But when ordering, there was no question of Tasmania and where I intend to travel in Australia. As a result, I had to order a car for Tasmania separately and I paid an additional $ 250. True, after that, Rentalcar promised me a discount on the next order.
And so I made the next order in the USA. I received a voucher and a price of 700 USD for 2 weeks. After that I called Rentalcar and asked how I can get a discount. A company representative told me that I didn't place the order correctly, as I am not a USA resident, and they gave me the price as a USA resident. I asked them to correct the error and give me a price after the discount. They gave. 1000 USD. Please note that when ordering on the Rentalcar website there is no question about the residence. I told them about it. I received a response of representative that the computer's IP is detected automatically. Then I told them that their system was not working properly, because at the time of the order I was at home in Israel. And they told me that their system is correct and not wrong. In general, I spent a lot of time in correspondence with this company and realized that they were completely not interested in clients. I will not use this service anymore.
Vladimir

emileb36
8/14/19

They owe me 600$ and do nothing! I will NEVER contract again with this company in the future! NEVER!

sonaml3
8/14/19

I rarely write up reviews, but feel I should share how badly handled the customer service was with rentalcars following a booking 3 months ago. I had made a booking through Rentalcars at Sofia airport with Enterprise at 4am, rentalcars had my flight number and had ensured there would be a rep as they provide out of hours service. On landing, no rep to process our booking. I spent 2 hours trying to contact people locally from Enterprise and contacted Rentalcars who also tried to get in touch, nothing. As it was early there was only one other local hire car agency open, Rentalcars advised I could make a booking through them and they would reimburse the difference. Good service I thought. I even checked the price difference with them to ensure it was OK. 3 months later I'm still trying to claim this difference as promised on their recorded calls, they have tried to fob me off saying the flight number wasn't recorded but has been easily been proven wrong by me with their confirmation bookings. Completely dire service leaving me out of pocket.

yakis
8/14/19

Used to be a loyal customer of the company. but lately, I experience too many errors once I arrive to pick up the car. The terms they agree with you do not appear at the provider. Typically it takes an hour of phone calls to solve the issue. It gets more frustrating when they offer you a discount on your next booking, but than offer a $6 dollar discount. An offer which is still 60% more than their competitors. While up to a few years ago they had an advantage over similar companies. it seems unfortunate that it doesnt provide anything but higher prices and a lame costumer service these days.

tdh1
8/13/19

Be very leery of booking anything with Rentalcars.com from or Fox Rent A Car. Especially if you're a woman traveling alone. You will be left with no help, no recourse and no way to contact any of the companies if something goes wrong.

I booked my car on May 10 for Aug 8-11 in Austin TX. They collected all my information and my CC number. I picked a compact car from Fox Rent-A-Car. The car wasn't cheap. 3 days was $240.00. Yes my CC works fine and I have a license. This isn't anything they can put back on me.

My flight arrived on time. I got to the counter and the Fox agent told me they didn't have anything for me. He could upgrade my reservation to a compact SUV for another $90 per day. $90 more per day? For a compact SUV? That's outrageous. When I said I wouldn't pay that much he shrugged his shoulders and handed my license and paperwork back.
I asked if there was anything else and he said "sorry, we cant help you.". That was it. They wouldn't answer questions, help me find a way to get another car, absolutely nothing. He actually pulled out his cell phone and got on a call ignoring me. The woman working with him was typing on the computer and refused to look up.

When I travel I carry a paper copy of everything. The confirmation paperwork for this car doesn't give any kind of phone number to contact Rentalcars.com. Contacting Fox Rental didnt help. They didnt care. Rentalcars.com is on FB so I messaged them. They gave me an international number. Really? There honestly was no one to help!

Thank goodness for Alamo Rent A Car. One of their agents noticed I was getting frantic. Before I knew it I was in one of their cars on my way. They even gave me a better rate.
I will NEVER use rentalcars.com or Fox Rental cars again. They literally left me abandoned in what could have ended up a dangerous situation.

aamera1
8/12/19

I booked a car on their site. I arrived at the rental car location and even though it was supposed to be open, it was not. Some people outside told me the manager was running late. I was in the Middle East at the time and waited outside in the desert heat for 15 minutes and left.

When I came back, I attempted to get a refund for my rental by talking to their customer support online. They refused to issue one and further blamed me for not calling them to fix the issue - even though I clearly explained that they have an international number and my cell phone cannot call outside of the country.

To add insult to injury, the customer support agent refused to end the chat after I said I would provide a poor rating. Indeed, the agent actually mocked me and said "good luck with that."

Absolutely terrible company. I have reached out to their CEO with a transcript of the issue and have not yet received a response. I am also disputing the charge with my credit card and am also considering filing a claim in court including reimbursement for attorney fees.

Next time, will go with Expedia. They are so much more customer-friendly.

stefanop19
8/12/19

The worse rip off I have ever experienced in my entire life! So many hidden charges at the end of the service.
Pick-up address on the booking was wrong. We had to walk for ages in 38 degrees to pick-up the car, once we got there there was a sign saying that they had moved to the other side of town. We had to walk for miles and miles to the other address. Once we got there we were told that they had informed Rentalcars.com of the moving but nobody told us. This was a very bad start to our holiday and someone must take responsibility for this.

elenai19
8/8/19

The worst ever experience. I rented cars many times and never ever had such problems!
They hide so many additional extra costs failing to respect pricing transparency law'.
You book the car through their website and pay online thinking you have paid everything and that you will have just to collect the car. LIES!
When you arrive at the pick up location the car company starts to tell you that there are additional costs because what you paid through Rentalcars doesn't cover everything for them.
We had two separate problems on two separate bookings (different locations) made for the same holiday. We were basically forced to do another booking directly with the car rental company because our flight was delayed and despite informing Rentalcars in advance they couldn't help in any ways. We asked for a refund on our return and they responded it is not their fault.
On second occasion, the car rental company charged us for additional insurance cover when we had already paid for all inclusive' insurance online. Again Rentalcars customer service failed to help us and we ended up paying much more than expected.
AVOID AVOID AVOID! Book directly with the car rental company, may be a little more expensive at first but then you are sure that you won't have any surprises when collecting the car.

nicoled82
8/7/19

This company is disaster. Their 1-800 number connects to a line in Europe, which must only operate on European hours. I called multiple times & each time, no one answered after I waited on hold FOREVER. As a result, I had to cancel the reservation because I couldn't make a necessary change to it. Something which could have been prevented - had someone from their business been available. They now refuse to refund my cancellation fee - despite it being 100% their fault.

Their app doesn't work. Their website sucks. Their customer service is non-existent.

pietp5
8/6/19

Received information from Rentalcars employees that was incorrect. As a result I was unable to receive the car I rented when I went to pick it up. I was unable to contact Rentalcars on the phone at the time, as I was kept on hold until 20.00, after which the line automatically disconnected. They subsequently refused a refund, claiming I had not attempted to contact them.

aninac1
8/6/19

They state that it can take up to 28 for your deposit to be repayed. I am battling for 67 days now. They just ignore your queries. They never paid the deposit they deducted from my credit card when I booked the vehicle over to the rental company, I had to pay again when I took the vehicle. So in actual fact you are paying double for a vehicle.

I will never book through them again, and would advise everybody to think twice.

maurom40
8/3/19

Same as everyone else review. Sad that I read the reviews after I had a problem with them rather than before booking.
My flight got delayed and I arrived about one hour late. My pickup time was 11 pm and the local agency closed at midnight. I slept on the floor of the front door until 7am when they opened to find out that my car was rented out to someone else for a higher rate. They said my reservation was cancelled automatically because I wasn't there at 11pm. The agency told me to fill out a form after the trip for reimbursement and gave me another car which I had to pay cash for about double the original booking. After completing the form the answer I received was: sorry we don't do refunds.
They charged me at the time of the reservation so they had my money like two months prior to my trip. I called them over the phone several times and I even emailed their CEO. Total waist of time.
This company is horrible. They should be ashamed of themselves for the way they do business.

sebnemb
7/30/19

My flight delayed, I called the rentalcars.com liaison office on the ground, they cancelled my reservation immediately as they would be shut by the time of the landing and assured that nothing was charged. I was asked to fill out a form in the end of the original booking for reimbursement, which I did, simply to hear that rentalcars.com was not going to reimburse me on the amount that they NEVER paid to the local liaison agency. That should be illegal and IS WRONG! Never trust a word of what appears on their website + you can reach no one expect some outsourced 'customer care agent' who's been told to say, 'sorry, we cannot to anything, forget your money.'

steves987
7/29/19

I booked a car thru their web site, and now United cancelled my flight so I will not be needing a car. So I tried and cancel using their web site and it errors out trying to cancel. There is not a phone number to call for customer support or service so I can make sure that they got my cancellation. I called AVIS who the reservation is thru and they tell me that I have to cancel thru Rentalcars.com and they can't cancel my car rental. What the heck. This is a racket to make money. I will not use Rentalcars.com or AVIS again

luism210
7/25/19

I thought I was reserving a car for September 2019, but they took my money the next day. Last month (June) they send me an Email telling me that there was a problem with the insurance. They said they can't contact me on my phone and they can not fix the problem unless they talk with me. I told them to cancel all my reservation and reimburse my money so I can make a new reservation, but today is the day that I have no money reimbursed and no more Emails from customer support. I did not make any mistake with the reservation, they did it and now they don't want to refund my money.

Tip for consumers: Be careful because you may think you are just reserving a car for the future, but they will take your money and if there is a problem you will lose your money because the customer service is inexistent.

marinam106
7/23/19

I have made a car reservation for 8 days in Kos Airport, Greece. I made the booking at rentalcars.com . We received extremely poor service from the company Greenmotion there. I am most annoyed that I wasted a morning (and half a day of my vacation) arguing with the man at the front desk.

At Greenmotion desk office in Kos island was an extremely rude man who did not gave us neither a refund of the 127euros for a car we have paid online but didn't get, but also when we told him that we will rend another car for 160 euros but we will write a letter to the company about his indescribable behavior he said that he would give us the car with 15 euros/a day but since we will inform the company, we would get it with 20 euros a day!. I find this unacceptable and impolite for any customer. As the most unacceptable behavior i have ever seen was your employ , he completely ruined our vacation and showed us how impolite and rude people can be just to make profit.

After that we tried to reach rentalcars but their phone was out of reach. So we wrote an email in order to help us with our situtation, but after they took the money they replied that they can not help. I was waiting at least to provide us some information about similar incidents. But no help at all. And of course no refund for the car we booked from their site but never get. So we paid at the desk office for another car.
Minus 100 stars if possible.

va21
7/22/19

Stay away! Booked a car, and was offered FREE CANCELLATION. Charged $40 deposit straight away. Then, when I needed to cancel the booking (because car company didn't really cater for the kind of trip I was going to do), they said it was $40 cancellation, not free. BEWARE!

denisf34
7/19/19

Money are charged immediately when booking online. First, I received a message in the mail that they are looking for a car, then a new message arrives that the car has been found and assigned to you. But when I came to pick up the car, I was told that there was no automatic transmission, there is only a mechanic at all distances, if you don't like it, go home and cancel the reservation. Office miserable and miserable. So also the money does not want to return! Guys - I really do not advise contacting these scammers. Pushers cheap!
Save your money and nerves!

ethanm82
7/19/19

After looking through some rental companies, and trying to get some quotes for a weekend trip, we discovered what looked like a good price from an established rental company in Rentalcars.com

We could not have been more wrong.

One thing is for sure they do everything they can to not make it clear how much you will be paying before you pay.

When going through the process we could not see how much the total cost was with insurance, and the only way to find out was when they ended up charging us! (would you buy something without being made aware the full-cost with ANY product or service? I would never)

I kept checking with my friend on each page asking if he could see the total price and he could not, so we would continue until they surprised us with a purchase confirmation.

So - we did what any sane person would do and tried to cancel. Thus being hit with a cancellation policy that would see us lose all the money we weren't intending to pay anyway.

I figured the Customer Service team would be able to help considering the circumstances and considering that the issue took place only minutes earlier. However, when we started a live-chat - the CS rep would not listen, telling us where to find the price after we paid (which was the issue we contacted about) and kept referring us to the Cancellation Policy, rather than listen and find a solution.

When I rung up the next day, another CS rep also kept referring me to the Policy and refused to listen to the situation that occurred. They wouldn't even let me speak to a supervisor, and responded to my questions with the same script ("Due to our cancellation policy...").

Their website is broken and preys on people looking for good deals, but doesn't make aware of how much a person is paying ahead of time. Once they have your money they will blindly smash the cancellation policy over your head until you submit.

Not once in my payment history have I ever been surprised by a payment on checkout, which speaks volumes of Rentalcars terrible consumer practices.

I would never trust this company again - and will recommend all my friends and family to avoid this company at all costs.

After a quick search I can see more rental car websites with transparent pricing breakdowns (ahead of purchase). They will be getting my business in the future.

allens148
7/16/19
• Updated review

They caused me an inadvertant hardship on their website by saying the auto I had chosen was no longer available to rent but then charging for the insurance. This flagged my credit card company and they froze my account. When I got through to RentalCars.com the next morning they quickly cancelled everything, found that the car had actually been reserved (twice actually since I tried twice). They worked to get the money refunded quickly to the now-frozen account.
I will consider using them because they handled their error quickly and well.

“Charged twice for trip insurance even through they didn't book the car”
6/27/19
• Previous review

Applied to book a car on their site. They said the car was no longer available at that price but they still charged for the trip insurance. I refused the charges so my card is locked and I can't use it for fuel to get home or to book a car rental somewhere else.
Fwiw each time I went back to their original site the car was still available. Each time they said the car wasn't available at the original rate they gave a link for $30 greater rate.
I can't give proof of purchase

eriks133
7/14/19

Stay Away from this company please, they are only looking too take your money and dont care about the customers

kimt245
7/13/19

2nd time renting from this booking agency. This time they kept the deposit money. Because when I picked up the rental from dollar rent a car they told me I needed to go back to rental cars.com to get the deposit back. And there claiming it's a car hire fee. The first time I went thru this company the deposit was figured as part of the rental.

marwanm11
7/10/19

UNTRUSTWORTHY COMPANY AND LIKELY SCAM. I never picked up the rental car and they still billed me. They are amateurs and don't know the first thing about keeping their reputation clean. They don't care AND WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. DON'T USE THEM AND SPREAD THE WORD! i had to dispute charge on my credit card. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM

roberta745
7/8/19

Booked a car with rentalcars.com, but was told by website that the booking had failed . Tried again this time "successfully " ,however ,yesterday they took over £700 from my bank account, and I find that they have taken more money in small amounts , 6 times in all. I've reported them to the police ...and I'm not the first!!! The police's own fraud team have flagged them up. Stay away from them at all costs.

Tip for consumers: If you come across rentalcars.com, leave their site immediately and stay away....unless you want to be defrauded or robbed!

dimas18
7/6/19

completely unprofessional costumer service, after booking the car online costumer service confirm in writing that you will get exactly the same car you booked, however upon pick up you get completely different car and upon raising complaint and showing the proof script from online chat 6 different service agents dosent take you serious but reply that rental cars guaranty only class of the car not a make even seeing that one of the employees confirm particular car.After all this I asked to provide the contact of person incharge i was given the phone number of the costumer service, unacceptable worst service ever.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?