Rentalcars.com

Rentalcars.com has a consumer rating of 1.15 stars from 645 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Rentalcars.com most frequently mention credit card, customer service and hire company problems. Rentalcars.com ranks 154th among Car Rental sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 3.6%

No positive highlights yet

• Had to give my credit card as down-payment of £1000 in case there was any damage to the car.
  • No appealing to customer service resulted in any refund whatsoever.
How would you rate Rentalcars.com?

“Full Refund”

Elizabeth C.
3/23/20

Trip was cancelled due to Coronavirus. What a bummer. I phoned rentalcars.com UK and explained the situation. Without any hesitation the agent confirmed that we will be refunded the FULL amount. Thank you.

“The most ridiculous experience”

Farhad F.
7/20/20

I booked a car to pick-up and drop-off in different locations. Few hours before departure #rentalcars called me and told you have to pay more than 50% of the initial fee, otherwise we cancel your booking. It's the most non-sense and non-logical thing I got. To me it's sound like a robbery from a customer which have no other solution. It was the most unpleasant and ridiculous experience I'd ever had. It's better to walk all the way to the destination, instead of getting service from this company!

credit card (122) customer service (100) car company (42) debit card (20) phone number (21)
farhadf5
July 20th, 2020
I booked a car to pick-up and drop-off in different locations.
bilala42
September 11th, 2020
We had a extremely disappointing 1st time experience when hiring the car from Blue motion. We were not aware they don't accept credit card but when making the booking we used a debit card and they took full payment. Now they won't give us a car and won't refund UAE 1800. This is totally unacceptable and very disappointing. Someone should be taking legal action against these type of scam companies. They are ripping off people.
danicam17
September 12th, 2020
I have been a long time frequent user of rentalcars.com and would historically suggested then to many people. Not anymore. I had a very bad experience over the last 2 days when I tried to cancel a reservation that had been outlined incorrectly. Once I received the confirmation and saw who the supplier was I immediately cancelled (all within 5 min) and was told I would not receive a refund. After numerous emails back and forth, they said they tough luck. All for the ale of €70? Seems short sighted. I am done with them, sadly.
lisam2131
August 4th, 2020
My husband and I rented a car through rentalcars.com. We arrived in Rome and waited 50 minutes for the customer service rep to show up to get our car. She didn't show. We ended up having to book with another company last minute. We missed our fathers funeral. Horrible experience. No contact from the company even after expressing our distress with having missed the funeral and having to pay twice for getting a rental car. Ridiculous. Never experienced this type of poor customer service before. Stay away.
allens148
July 16th, 2019
• Updated review
They caused me an inadvertant hardship on their website by saying the auto I had chosen was no longer available to rent but then charging for the insurance. This flagged my credit card company and they froze my account. When I got through to RentalCars.com the next morning they quickly cancelled everything, found that the car had actually been reserved (twice actually since I tried twice). They worked to get the money refunded quickly to the now-frozen account.
I will consider using them because they handled their error quickly and well.
Charged twice for trip insurance even through they didn't book the car
June 27th, 2019
• Previous review
Applied to book a car on their site. They said the car was no longer available at that price but they still charged for the trip insurance. I refused the charges so my card is locked and I can't use it for fuel to get home or to book a car rental somewhere else.
Fwiw each time I went back to their original site the car was still available. Each time they said the car wasn't available at the original rate they gave a link for $30 greater rate.
I can't give proof of purchase
tima202
March 4th, 2020
Yes, this company is a scam. We arrived a few hours late from FLL to San Jose Costa Rica, and they sold our car out to someone else and charged us the full price. After 2 weeks of bantering about with Booking.com - who we used to secure the car -- we were asked to read some VERY fine print about four clicks through a series of web pages that says that that they will cancel any booking if you are over 1 hour late. Stay far away from rentalcars.com.
williamc1366
February 26th, 2020
Rentalcars.com is a scam. They are crooks. I returned a car 10 days before the end of the rental period, and they have ignored all of my attempts to get a refund. When you try to contact them on their website, they say that they have sent a 4 digit PIN to your email, but they do NOT send it, and you can not go any farther. A bona fide scam. They are actually booking.com, so avoid booking.com also.
lucag36
July 22nd, 2020
Unfortunately, I had to cancel my booking in the 48 hours period before pick-up. Since my rental period was 2 days only, I got no refund at all, because in this case the cost of a 3 days rental is subtracted to the amount I had paid (2 days).
To find this clause in their terms of service, you really need to delve into their website very deeply (i. E. it is something that they will not tell you in the moment you book).

Please, stay away!
jimmyt87
January 20th, 2020
Buyer beware. www.rentalcars.com may not be a direct scam, but they have consciously and knowingly been an agent for scamming and deliberately misleading car rental companies for years now. They know this, yet they refuse to stop conducting business with fraudulent organizations. This makes them complicit in and accessory to fraud. They are a willful medium of fraud on a massive number of consumers.
davidk2032
January 4th, 2021
We paid to reserve a car on Christmas day 2019 in Mexico. When we arrived to the airport, we were informed no cars were available. I tried to call Rentalcars.com but only got machines. The $550.86 charge stayed on our Visa. We tried to dispute this charge but our dispute was rejected. We were told we were a "No Show".

We paid for a car, showed up at the agreed upon time and place and received nothing in return!

This is theft!
robertw2203
November 4th, 2020
Despite incurring no damage and returning vehicle with more fuel than when I picked it up they have not refunded my security deposit. I kept getting fobbed off with ever increasing amounts of time it takes to process a refund, then they said I needed a letter from the bank to confirm the refund is not in the system, the bank would not provide a refund, but confirmed that nothing was in the system. They now ignore my communications.
alexandrinap
October 21st, 2020
A total scam and the worst costumer service ever!
If you don't hold a credit card and are not willing to "open a tab" on it at the rental company counter, don't book through Rentalcars. If you only hold a debit card, well hey will make you pay for full insurance!
I have rented cars on many occasions, don't recommend them. A total scam + taking the costumer for a fool!
johnw1637
April 28th, 2019
I rented a car from Economy Car Rentals at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The agent tried to sell me an electronic key that would allow me to use the Florida toll roads. The daily cost was $9.95. I was told that if I did not buy this device and used the toll roads there would be a minimum charge of $100. He also insisted that all the colored roads on the Florida map were toll roads and that there were no toll booths on these roads that you could pay in cash. He even drew a route on the map showing the local roads and the length of time it would take driving if I did not use a toll road.

This was all a blatant lie since the Florida Interstate is not a toll road and there are toll booths on the toll roads.

This is not an honest company.
ew159
February 10th, 2020
Very bad company. They charge you 3 days even if the vendor doesn't give you a car when it is not yo
jc979
January 3rd, 2020
Making a car rental booking, this was the first site that show up. So I booked on line. I put a location in the airport, the only office inside of the airport was hertz. So I rented from Hertz. After reading the mail, they send my reservation to a location outside of the airport. An charged 111 USD just for booking a car never used! After several calls they decided not to give me my money back because of their 48 hours of cancellation policy in the small text. Never use this service!
bradm231
February 7th, 2020
Booked a family SUV for a UK holiday through Rentalcars.com, received confirmation for the booking and thought nothing else of it. Arrived at Heathrow to find a car half the size waiting for us. We then had to pay 500 GBP to upgrade to a suitable car as was a couple of days prior to Christmas so nothing really available. Rentalcars.com advised me to put in a claim after had finished rental which I did. They have finally admitted an error on their end however will not be paying any refund as is not company policy. Go direct and avoid Rentalcars.com at all costs.
rezap4
July 10th, 2020
I have nothing but bad things to say about this Manchester based scam company. They sold me full insurance on a new rental in January 2020, I was told to settle the damage fees with Avis/Budget in case of any accident & the rentalcars.com would refund me in 2 weeks. I was rear ended in a non-fault accident. We are now in July and they are refusing to settle by saying that the accident paper work is not fully completed. Every time I call them they come up with so much excuses. They are not to be trusted. They are dishonest and very dishonourable and the reviews speak for themselves. Stay miles away and save yourselves money and trouble.
arid11
February 17th, 2020
They are offering "free cancellation", but if you cancel (even one day after like I did), they charge you for "deposit" and it can be as much as $100. I highly recommend not using them, contact the car lease companies directly and don't bother messing around with these thieves.

Tip for consumers:
Go directly to car hire companies websites.

Products used:
Car hire

pauls1777
February 7th, 2020
I paid the extra £100+ for total insurance cover just to be put at ease. When we went to collect the car we were told that as that insurance was from a third party we'd either have to pay £1050 on our credit card and if we had an accident try to claim from rental cars our selves which could take a while or pay the hire car people £100+ no refundable. We obviously went for the £100+ as the £1050 would have taken us overdrawn... book the car... take out the insurance when you pick up the car.
adamm693
October 21st, 2020
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

My partner booked a hire car through rentalcars.com. When she couldn't collect we tried to change the name on the booking, but we were told we couldn't, but if we cancelled and rebooked we would get a refund on the original booking. 4 months later we have now been told it is not being refunded.

The second booking we made under my name, we booked an air conditioned car as it was 32*C, and they supplied one with broken air conditioning, again told us in no uncertain words, where to go!

Do not use them!
matomem1
November 16th, 2020
I made booking for a car via rentalcars.com on the 30 0ctober 2020, and when I got there I was told I need 2 produce lots of documents and I must pay a hefty amount as a deposit where else I have already finished paying for price for the car. I requested a refund and wrote multiple emails but to date I have not received any response from them, so I would like to inform others that it's not gud 2 book a car via rentalcars.com, rather go personally to book. I was scammed while trying to get necessary services

Tip for consumers:
Not recommended for any one

Products used:
None

elenap85
February 19th, 2020
They took the money and didn't confirm the car till I contact with them after 24 hours. No offer of an alternative, they asked me to call the local number, in Thailand doesn't exist. I should have called at my expenses in UK. They never contact me after many complains. Meanwhile the prices of rental were going up as the time of pick up was close. After 5 working days no refund after I canceled the booking.
The first guy at the customer service was supponent, the second one at least helped me to cancel the booking. Stay away is not worth it.
paulg749
December 23rd, 2019
Rentalcars kept my money but failed to provide a car. Delayed flight and long queue at collection counter. I arrived after the booking time so there was no car available. But they refused a refund because I was late.
michaelk1482
January 3rd, 2020
I wish I would have read the reviews. Do not rent with this outfit. This was the worst experience and I didn't even get to the point of even renting from them. A rate was advertised, a very good one. I never received a confirmation email from them. When I checked on line, my reservations were cancelled. The worst was that they said I was sent an email to confirm. Not true. Good Luck.
anthonyc600
January 28th, 2020
Total Scam, they cancelled my reservation in Italy even though I called and told them I would be delayed and then kept my money for the whole month. Fortunately Bank of America back charged their bank and refunded my money after I disputed the charge. Very unethical business. Do yourself a favor and book direct with the rental car company when you arrive at your destination, you will pay less and have the security of dealing direct with the rental car company. I never write reviews but I couldn't in good conscience let other people fall victim to this scam without warning. You're welcome - Anthony Cicerchia

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.
See more answers (7)

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.
See more answers (7)

Avoid them, not worth any potential small savings.

By Sam W.