Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

markf388
12/4/18

Even though they admit that I am due a refund of my deposit (about $200 USD), they have refused to refund it for more than three months despite my constant demands. They constantly engage in evasive tactics, including writing to you from e-mail addresses that they say you can't respond to. So how are you supposed to respond?? The point is that they get you make a deposit with no intention of ever giving it back. It's theft, plain and simple.

angusd11
11/29/18

Booked a hire car with full protection Insurance. Advised I would need to pay a deposit on collection. I was advised that I would get this back if I returned the car. The deposit was only partly refunded, £122 withheld saying this was an additional insurance Policy! Don't use Rental Cars or GoldCar

julieh416
11/24/18

unable to get a refund!! difficult to contact. people disconnected me with chat quickly as to not deal with any issue.

melg40
11/23/18

For your stress levels do not use this company. Customer service is horrific. We were told that there was a problem with our booking and that we'd be called back before money was taken out. No call was received but the money was taken. It has taken three calls to their rude, unhelpful staff and call to the actual company we're renting from in the Caribbean to find out there was a never a problem. No apologies. Just rudeness.

rossh59
11/20/18

I booked a car with Rentalcars.com and was quoted and paid a charge of £66.49. However when I went to collect the vehicle from Budget I was told that the rental cost was £144.36 and I was going to be charged an additional £77.87. I then spent over 30 minutes trying to get through to their customer service to resolve the issue. When I eventually got through I was reassured that I would pay no more that the original contracted amount of £66.49 and that if Budget did charge me the additional amount that Rentalcars.com would refund it.

However today they have contacted me and basically told me to get stuffed and that they won't refund me anything as the charges relate to supplement..strange that this was never mentioned in any of the conversations I had at the time of collecting the car.

Clearly they are colluding with the car hire companies to shaft customers when they mess up.

Clearly seems to be some communication issues within the company. But I was fully refunded.

arulc1
11/19/18

Beware predatory practices of Rentalcars.com and Budget Scammed 20,000 Kr = 880 US$! Long story short Charged damage claim for minor scratches on tyre rim see attached picture.
Long story: I am a professor at Singapore University. We went as a family to Prague for an academic conference and got hit by a huge damage of almost US$ 900 for scratches on the tyre rim of a rental car, which frankly I think were there before we even left. I booked a Budget car through rentalcars.com through the Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer partners programme using a KrisFlyer credit card.
1. Went through Krisflyer booking prre-paying online for the rental car, which includes insurance.
2. Immediately get an email saying that "your Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) doesn't cover, such as tyres and windscreen", and recommends to buy additional insurance from Budget. Also "If you do buy a policy from Budget, that contract will be between you and Budget. Since rentalcars.com - A partner of Singapore Airlines will not be involved at all, we won't be able to help if you're dissatisfied with the cost of their policy or the cover it provides." Suspicion level 2.
3. At Budget rental car counter in Prague airport, once you to sign a contract you don't have time to read at the pickup; and mark less 'damage' than is on the car, also because you just want to go. The parking lot at Prague airport is a distance away, so they just hand you a blank sheet with no mark-up of damage, and say "no worries, minor scratches do not count". Suspicion level 2!
4. Return car at Prague airport with flight at midnight, and sudden discover the scratches, and refuse to let you go till you acknowledge damages, knowing full well that you are in a rush. Again tell you "that this is minor scratches, and just a reporting detail". Suspicion level 3!
5. Even before you reach home, and they email you an invoice of the 'damages', with no report, and the credit card is immediately charged. Suspicion level 4!
6. I wrote to Singapore Airlines Krisflyer customer service, which refused to have anything to do with this, stating "We have brought the matter that you have highlighted to the attention of the relevant team and they have since gotten in touch with Rentalcars.com for the team at Rentalcars.com to address your concerns." And then silence. Suspicion level 5!
7. I wrote repeatedly to Budget and Rentalcars.com on 13 July, 31 July, 02 August, 14 August, 17 August, 18 August, 9 September, 8 October, 12 Oct. They delay, sorry to hear about level of service, promise to look into it, ask for documentation, then apologize for delay, then talk amongst rentalcars.com and Budget, claim that they are exchanging documents, and then finally, after 4 months, state "we are not in a position to dispute these charges on your behalf".
8. Final resolution from rentalcars.com "If you are unable to reach an amicable resolution to this dispute with Budget directly, then another option available to you is to contact your card provider". Basically refusal to deal and acknowledge the scam being run by Budget Prague.
9. Then they move onto running the insurance scam with the next customer with the same 3 scratches on the tyre rim of the same car.
10. Avoid these unscrupulous companies, Budget and Rentalcars.com. Singapore Airlines should be wary of associating with such companies.
Prof. Chib
Singapore University

siewt
11/16/18

In October 2018, I booked and paid $528 for a rental car. I was to pick up the car Nov.2, but found out my flight had been cancelled, so would not arrive until Nov.3. I contacted Rentalcars.com immediately to let them know i'd be arriving one day late. Rather than hold my booking (I had fully paid for the rental till Nov.8), I was deemed a no-show. Rentalcars.com then charged me a $138 cancellation charge from the supplier, and said I had a $390 cancellation charge from them, but this could be applied to my next booking. Rather than lose more money, I had to rebook the exact same vehicle at more than double the cost of my original booking ($1,072)!! Rentalcars.com treatment of their customers borders on extortion and even after explaining the situation to them, they have refused to refund any payment. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

cb330
11/16/18

Was charged fees at the agency that made the overall cost the same as renting directly through the agency vice going through this middle-agency. Not worth it and will never use again. Call the rental car agency directly and they will be able to provide a discount and avoid the service fees.

douglasn26
11/15/18

I made a reservation with them at least a month in advance for a weekend in Florida. Upon arrival in the airport, the rental car company told me they had run out of cars and would have to cancel my reservation - say what?

It's now been over 40 days since that happened and I still haven't seen my money back, neither have I seen the difference of the super expensive rental I had to make, because this company doesn't give a damn to their customers.

You may be left stranded!

an77
11/15/18

I booked a car through rental cars.com. Thought it was a done deal and that was the price I would pay. Picked the vehicle up drove it and returned it in exact same condition. Get my receipt and I was charged $260 more than what rental cars.com quoted me. Both the car rental company and rental cars.com said you signed the agreement when you picked it up so that's that. Payless Car Rental didn't honor the agreement I had with rental cars.com and rental cars.com didn't stand behind the agreement they had with me.

israeli4
11/6/18

This company charge my credit card, when I asked to cancel the transaction because the rental provider "America Car Rental" wanted to sell me their insurance (4 times more money than the actual rental fee) they said they will not be able to help me at all! they kept arguing it was my fault not to be able to provide with the appropriate proof of insurance which is a ridiculous hard copy letter from your credit card provider, confirming the cards CDW is valid in the whole Country. Which in 2018 is bunkers!!

Worst costumer service of the industry, waiting periods are horrible as well

sebd7
10/30/18

This company is only acting as a broker for actual car rental companies. Be very careful to read their terms and conditions.

Essentially, buying their full premium insurance policy when renting a car do not waive or lower the deposit required by the actual car rental, contrary to what you would normally expect. This isn't clearly communicated during the online booking process and only appears in small print on the confirmation voucher you are asked to print to collect the car. I think that, although operating within the law, the process their implement is misleading, if not downright borderline fraudulent. I felt duped, and mislead, and unable to access the car. I was also unable to get a refund for a car which I didn't end up using.

We went through their online rental process and booked a car to be pick-up from Easyrent in kings cross, london. As we were mindful of both potential damages we wanted to insure against and deposit to be given, we also purchased the full insurance offered by rentalcars.com for an additional £40 for the period. We completed the process, and printed the voucher required to pick up the car.

Arriving at Easyrent desk the next day, I was shocked by being asked for a card to be charge another £ 1,500 deposit to actually access the vehicle (refundable in 15 working days after returning the vehicle!!!).So, essentially I wasn't able to proceed with the rental, not having the funds in my account. The clerk then proceeded by offering me the possibility to purchase Easyrent's own insurance, for an additional £135 to lower the deposit down to £200 instead of the full £1,500. This is an obvious no choice, as it more than doubles the actual cost of the rental. At that point, it was difficult not to feel scammed When complaining about the lack of clarity about this deposit policy, the clerk told me to debate the issue directly with rentalcars.com customer service, the telephone number of which is neatly saved in his mobile for frequent access. I am saying frequent because both the customer before me AND after me were in the same situation, both unaware and unable to proceed with the deposit and actual rental of their booked vehicle. Both came to Easyrent through rentalcars.com.

Of course, I was then explained over the phone by rentalcars.com that this appears clearly in their terms and conditions and as such, I couldn't get refunded for the car rental cost. they did however refund me the additional insurance policy.

Still, I think the practice is misleading, unclear, and I suspect, purposefully so. I have checked the legality of this practice with the UK trading standards. It is unfortunately legal. I call it an abuse of trust. Then I remembered, if it's too good to be true Don't follow my steps, don't be a fool, just don't do it.

bille92
10/28/18

I booked a reservation today through Rentalcars.com for a car in Las Vegas. The rental company was EZ Car Rental. When I went to the counter, a very rude, smart a** woman asked me if I had a reservation. I said yes and she said the counter was closed for reservations and she only handled walk ups. She told me to go to Advantage Car Rental who owns EZ and they would handle my reservation and get my car. I went to Advantage where there was a long line and I stood in line for 45 minutes. Another rude, smart a** woman told me to go back over to EZ because the employee who actually ran the counter was back from an extended "break" and would handle my reservation. I went back over to EZ and the ultimate smart a** of all time told me that he didn't have any cars which was a big fat lie. The smart a** woman who only handled walkups was renting cars to anyone who walked up without a reservation. The ultimate smart a** jerk refused to honor the rental cars.com reservation which forced me to leave and walk over to the National counter where I rented a nice car in 5 minutes and was on my way. I lost over a hour of my time and was treated very rudely and unprofessionally by the EZ/Advantage clowns.

Obviously Rental cars.com deals mainly with these third rate, unprofessional rental companies. They suck people in with ridiculously low rates and then the unscrupulous car companies claim they don't have cars at those rates, try to force people to purchase insurance and other optional charges. If people refuse to do that and demand that the reservation contract be honored, then they are told there are no cars. This is nothing but a scam set up by Rentalcars.com and carried out by the unscrupulous rental companies.

I will never use any of these unscrupulous companies again and encourage others to avoid them.

hm93
10/22/18

Since Rentalcars no longer reacts to my complaint, I think it's time to tell my story here.

On January 29, 2018 I booked a car through Rentalcars.nl to rent during my vacation in South Africa. The reason why I chose to rent a car via Rentalcars was because their website said that I would not have to pay a 'one way fee'. A 'one way fee' is charged if you hand in the car at a different location from where you picked it up. In my case, this would mean an additional cost of Euro71.

So I booked the car and took out insurance through Rentalcars, and the costs amounted to 476.65. They are also immediately recovered from my credit card the next day.
But nowhere on the costs summary on the website it was stipulated that would not have to pay this one-way fee. This was only mentioned on the pages where one chooses the type of car and the insurances..
This kept bothering me and I sent a mail to Rentalcars with the question whether I would or would not have paid a one way fee. I received an e-mail containing (in bold) letters; " There would be no one way fee surcharge by Avis on site!!".

I flew to Port Elizabeth in South Africa in mid-February 2018 and went to pick up the car from Avis ZA. There I was asked if I had insurance and with whom. When I said that I had taken insurance out with Rentalcars, the desk employee advised to take out insurance policies with them in the future as customers often have problems to have their claim paid out by Rentalcars. That was not a good sign.

I took the car and we went on holiday. And after two weeks I handed the car in, at Avis ZA Cape Town airport.

When I was back in the Netherlands in the middle of March 2018 and access to good internet, a PC and a printer, I started to investigate all the invoices and contract which were sent to me by AVIS ZA via email.
Great was my surprise to see a 'One way fee' cost of 71 on the contract and invoice!
I checked and added up all the costs and yes in the total costs, the costs for the one way fee was included and I did indeed paid for it! Rental cars paid Avis ZA via a voucher and that amount corresponded with the costs invoiced by AVIS ZA and this total incudes the cost for the one way fee.
So I DID pay this one way fee.

I approached Avis ZA about this and they referred me to Rentalcars and that's where the finger pointing game with Rental Cars started. It does'nt matter which manner or way I use to try and get them to acknowledge that I did pay the one way fee, the only response I get is that according to them I did NOT paid the one way fee. I mean, what is clearer than a cost item for a one-way fee that is on the contract and in the invoices. These costs also form part of the voucher amount that Avis ZA received from Rentalcars.
This has been ongoing from end of March 2018 and Rentalcars, even after sending them copies of their website and the AVIS invoice they still claim that I did not pay the One Way Fee.
Avis ZA did everything according to the books and neatly reported all the cost items in the contract and on the invoices. They also answered all questions that I asked them about costs and provided evidence for it (such as speed fines). So I have confidence in Avis ZA that they have correctly and honestly invoiced all costs.
I do not understand how Rentalcars can keep on claiming that I have NOT paid one way fee, when being confronted with all the evidence; the contract and invoices clearly state this cost item and these costs where included in the voucher amount.
I assume that Rentalcars established professional rental and costs agreements with Avis ZA about renting cars and the costs involved. Therefore I have conclude that Rentalcars has misled me with their website promises and I feel scammed.

My tips for someone who wants to rent a car through brokers such as Rental Cars are as follows
1. Check the exchange rate that they use.
2. Make screenprints and save all of the free benefits and specials offered on their websites. Request confirmation of such benefits and specials.
3. Check all cost items on contracts and invoices and request proof.
4. Book directly with the car rental company and not through a broker, this saves you from having to fight' against two parties .
5. Also take out all insurance policies directly from the car rental company and avoid all efforts having to prove your claim with a broker party.

It is now end of October 2018 and Rentalcars do not longer answer my mails or communications.
My last tip for other future renters; DO NOT rent a car through Rental Cars or brokers. Go directly to the company that actually rents you the car!
This was the first and the last time that I rented a car from Rental Cars, you only get scammed by them. This way they earn fast and easy money !!

igorp35
10/15/18

I booked car in Latvia for my planned trip in December. Ander all options was written " free cancellation".
Paid 30£ deposit,booked it.
After we changed mind, about car hire... and try cancel a booking, We have just one option- cancellation fee is your deposit.
Avoid "Rentalcars" you can't trust them.Even there is clearly written " free cancellation" you will be charged.

genevieveb15
10/5/18

I am so disappointed with them. Got a problem with the rental company. I gave them actual proof/documents showing they were lying. Still, after 3 month they tell me they will not pay me back 400 USD even though the car company lied.

So, if everything goes well with your rental, fine. But if anything goes wrong, they will not help you. For that reason I strongly suggest to NOT use their services. After sale service is slow and totally inadequate. And will never help the customer.

athbia1
9/29/18

They stole my money, even though I have a credit card that works all over the world but my rented office does not accept your card. I advise you not to buy from them.

tonyh217
9/24/18

I reserved with Goldcar in Rome through rentalcar.com

Goldcar billed me and Rentalcar.com billed me.

Called their phone number
and its always busy.

Good luck!

unh6
9/23/18

Our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. After notifying RentalCars online that we would be arriving a day later and after a night sleeping in the airport we arrived to be told that we "no showed" and the rental was lost.RentalCars refused to offer a re-booking or refund because "Fees had been incurred" even though Hertz head office made it clear they only get paid once a car is returned.When challenging RentalCars support about the fees they could neither describe or provide evidence of them.

oriettad
9/22/18

On the 25th July 2018 I booked a car to be picked up at Milan Maplensa on the 9th August, I was quoted £ 126.70 to which I agreed and gave my credit card details.

I got my credit card statement and Rentalcars.com has charged me twice,,,,,£126.70 on the 25th July as agreed and a further £248.47 on the 9th August 2018 (????),

I can clearly see on my account that I have been charged twice for the same car, however upon sending several emails, it is now the 22nd of September and I am still waiting for my refund!!......disgusting!!!!!

There is no way to call anyone, emails get ignored, .....never came across to such an unprofessional company!!

I wished I read the reviews on Rentalcars,com before using them,,,,,lots of bad reviews, facebook pages of unhappy customers out there!!!!

Please please please, do not use them!!!!!

ivanjoys
9/14/18

To whoever is planning to book a car through Rentalcars.com please avoid that site for it's a total scam. I made a reservation under their website and they failed to confirm it on a promise time frame of 48hours. To top it all, after the said 48hours waiting for a confirmation from my original booking, they(Rentalcars.com) booked another car for me from another car rental company without my consent and charge my card (again). It's so frustrating reading bad comments on their page for same issue about scam/stealing customer's money/refund problem. Its also hard to reach them through email. So since they don't have a toll-free hotline, I was force to call their international number. The queuing and conversation took a while so good luck with my telephone bill and the refund which I don't know when it's gonna happen. First time to booked at Rentalcars.com and definitely my last. #rentalcars.com #scam #avoidrentalcars.com #stealers

michaelg866
9/13/18

"as you booked through a broker (RentalCars) we will take no responsibility for the correct information they provided" was what we were advised, stood stranded in a foreign airport and being charged double for the rental we booked. Total incompetence. Will not listen. Fortunatley for RentalCars, they do not provide an email account so you have to go through an online "feedback" page to contact them.

luism174
9/13/18

Due to Rentalcars lack of respect and professionalism me and my pregnant wife were left stranded a whole night at the Athens airport. Rentalcars and Goldcars failed to keep professional and ethical standards and refused to compensate us after we had lost hotel, ferry and spent a night at the airport. Please do not hire cars from them, as there is nothing human and their modus operandi, and the lack of professionalism is evident. It is very sad that we got to the point in which this companies and their workers get to have a living at the expenses of other peoples freedoms. A career without the basics of ethical values and respect to people (before being clients) will only lead you to a life of frustration.

jakej49
8/28/18

The worst experience with renting a car ever. I was sold a car from Rentalcars.com for 35 dollars. When I arrived I was forced to play 185 dollars for insurance regardless I had insurance both on my card and from Rentalcars.com. This site is a shame and a fraud.

tedc67
8/24/18

I booked a car ahead of time thru them / but did not look at the reviews. Got to the Orlando airport Green motion was the rental car company. To get that pre-booked price, I had to show Proof of full coverage insurance! I gave them my insurance company name my agents name and all information including my insurance policy #. They wanted to see my insurance contract to get that price! I left and went next door to another rental car company with no problem. Days later after my phone call, they refunded all but a $37.58 cancellation Fee. I'm still fighting that!!! Nothing on either web sight said anything about PROOF OF INSURANCE! So stay away from rentalcars.com

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

4 Photos for RentalCars.com