Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

michaelg866
9/13/18

"as you booked through a broker (RentalCars) we will take no responsibility for the correct information they provided" was what we were advised, stood stranded in a foreign airport and being charged double for the rental we booked. Total incompetence. Will not listen. Fortunatley for RentalCars, they do not provide an email account so you have to go through an online "feedback" page to contact them.

luism174
9/13/18

Due to Rentalcars lack of respect and professionalism me and my pregnant wife were left stranded a whole night at the Athens airport. Rentalcars and Goldcars failed to keep professional and ethical standards and refused to compensate us after we had lost hotel, ferry and spent a night at the airport. Please do not hire cars from them, as there is nothing human and their modus operandi, and the lack of professionalism is evident. It is very sad that we got to the point in which this companies and their workers get to have a living at the expenses of other peoples freedoms. A career without the basics of ethical values and respect to people (before being clients) will only lead you to a life of frustration.

jakej49
8/28/18

The worst experience with renting a car ever. I was sold a car from Rentalcars.com for 35 dollars. When I arrived I was forced to play 185 dollars for insurance regardless I had insurance both on my card and from Rentalcars.com. This site is a shame and a fraud.

tedc67
8/24/18

I booked a car ahead of time thru them / but did not look at the reviews. Got to the Orlando airport Green motion was the rental car company. To get that pre-booked price, I had to show Proof of full coverage insurance! I gave them my insurance company name my agents name and all information including my insurance policy #. They wanted to see my insurance contract to get that price! I left and went next door to another rental car company with no problem. Days later after my phone call, they refunded all but a $37.58 cancellation Fee. I'm still fighting that!!! Nothing on either web sight said anything about PROOF OF INSURANCE! So stay away from rentalcars.com

stefanh52
8/22/18

A 90 min delay in picking up a car rented through them did cost me an unwanted $500 upgrade. My documented complaint was not taken seriously. Even this maybe fully legal - don't expect any service if you get into trouble. HANDS OFF!

maryj555
8/20/18

Buyer beware. This company does not practice standard business policy as accepted in the United States. We were on a family trip to Orlando and they tried to bully us into accepting their insurance at $25 per day after we prepaid our rental car prior to arriving at their premises. They would not let us secure a rental car with our American Express card or our debit/ credit card and used that as an excuse to upsell Insurance.

Terms were look at the fine print after they charged our account for full price and held us hostage at their premises until we paid more. This company lacks customer service and credibility. They also charged us a $75 cancellation fee. They did the exact same thing to the man behind us! DO Not her this company!

michaelv237
8/15/18

Totally got scammed in Portugal (Lisbon) by Sixt and rentalcars. Showed up late (2 hours) and my car (that was prepaid) was gone, got forced into an upgrade (there was another family who had the same problem) and paid Euro500 extra! Terms are not clear and using this as an opportunity to upsell, something all rentalcar companies are known for. Have requested compensation but rentalcars refuses any liability in this and will file a complaint with the BVRLA. Looking for other victims to join me. My advice, pay more and go direct or look for other websites to reserve a car. Was told by another company rentalcars.com are known for this practice.

lindaa295
8/10/18

We purchased full insurance for the car, but when we got to the airport to pick up the car we were told that the insurance we had already purchased doesn't work in the UK and we need to have auto insurance through credit card which we didn't and they refused to give us the car. Called customer service and they were very rude and refused to help and did not give us our money back. Save yourself a headache and do not use them.

asafk1
8/10/18

If you arrive late , or on a different flight ( as I did because I missed a connection ) you will NOT receive your car OR your money back

gw59
8/8/18

Unlike actual rental car agencies this broker will fully charge your credit card upfront and refuse to allow any flexibility or alterations to your contract. I did not receive an email confirmation and they insisted that I did -- as if emails don't go missing even if you send them. You have to print or generate their voucher to get the information about the rental as well as to show to the car rental agency -- ridiculous for an online booking -- and since I didn't get their email I didn't have the voucher.

The rental agency itself tried to assist me as best they could but even they don't get paid by rentalcars.com until the end of the rental period and their hands are pretty tied by the contract you sign with rentalcars.com.

It took me about 2 hours to get the car after arriving at the airport, it would have taken 15 minutes if I had booked with a major car rental agency instead of using these thieves at rentalcars.com. I had to take a train to a pick up location and wait for their bus...nothing I saw in their website led me to believe I would face this hassle to save maybe $20.

Just go straight to the agencies and avoid this company at all costs.

andreasc18
8/7/18

Flight to Cologne was cancelled and my car booking too even though Rentalcars had my flight details. Rentalcars say that if you are more than two hours late picking up your car, they will cancel your booking and refuse a refund. I had a chat with their call center and asked for a transcript but never received one. They also charged for insurance which they did not provide as I did not get a car.
Do not trust this company, they fraudsters at best. My booking reference 391874152
I am taking this up as a dispute with my Credit Card company.
My advice, deal directly with the car rental companies.

shaunn17
8/4/18

Be warned..... Rentalcars.com are scam artists who send you a quote and after you have booked and paid for the vehicle they advise the price was a "mistake" and try to charge about 3x the amount. We booked and paid $350 for a rental then got an email saying if we wanted to keep the booking we would need to pay $1030 or it would be cancelled. Like I said SCAM ARTISTS!!!!

jeromec52
8/2/18

I am not sure how Sixt and rentalcars.com collaborate but it was a terrible experience and I dont recommend it to anyone. I have now overpaid, rentalcars.com put loads of money in its pocket for absolutely nothing (Sixt confirmed when picking up the car that no insurance was included in the package) and have a terrible/obnoxious customer services team. Never again.

Huge scam and do not get me started about this Philip guy from customer services whom I had to endure over the phone when trying to understand what amounts they charged me extra for.

In May 2018 I go online to reserve a car with Sixt via rentalcars.com and was debited immediately 570 from my account. I picked up the car at train station on 14th July at Sixt counter and first i cannot even take the car because the reservation name does not match the card name my wife and I want to use for the guarantee. We are there with 2 kids and my wife is pregnant but nothing can be done until we have to give a corporate card as only solution we ourselves came up with.

A few weeks later I get the invoice from Sixt telling me that we have to pay an extra 74 for the car seats on top of voucher of 470 - the question is where did the 100 go from the upfront payment? I call Sixt to clarify but they do not care and tell me to go to rentalcars.com. I call them and Philip answers telling me that the IT system is down. I ask about pricing policy but he says each customer is different (so they can scam them i start thinking) and after waiting 30 minutes the IT system is back up and he tells me that the difference is for an insurance I paid straight to them and not Sixt. In his answer he tells me that my quoted 25% overpayment from earlier was wrong - the nerve of this guy!!!

hitchc
7/31/18

They charged me the full insurance coverage while I mentioned several times that I did not want it as I am already covered with my credit cards. I have booked a navigator and I paid for it, but it did not work at all, I asked to be reimbursed but they did not want. They did not want to listen to you, their customer service is not professional, rude and agressive!! Avoid rentalcars if you want to stay healthy.

gordonm88
7/28/18

If you want to be guaranteed the vehicle type you book, Rentalcars.com aren't the people you'll be wanting to book with.

Booked a SUV, rental outfit handed over a saloon. Nothing else to be done about it. Unable to do half of the things I'd planned.

Customer services dragged their feet over it (for over a month) before handing over a derisory 'offer of goodwill'.

Wish I'd gone direct.

martinf111
7/27/18

After dropping off my car I got an extra bill for $305.00.
I was expecting the airport fee of $30 approx but was charged for liciencing fee and a road useage fee that was not told to me at time of booking. In addition I was told if the car need gas at drop off their prices are comparable.
They charged me over 2pounds per litre when the going rate is only 1.3 litre. Nearly double.
Complete rip off, ask about the extra costs up front, don't trust them to tell you or inform you of anything.

carls199
7/26/18

I booked a car with these guys for Edinburgh airport. Despite the voucher saying I needed a photo ID, they refused to hire the car to me as I didn't have my passport. It was away for renewal. They charged me the full fee and refused a refund. Give them a wide berth, use an established company.

ronc231
7/26/18

Want to alert you to watch out for Rentalcars.com. When I went to Enterprise to pick up the car in Chicago, my $125. voucher went up to $545! Even though I selected the option to pick up in Chicago and return in Springfield, the fine print at the bottom add addition charges for one way trips. Needless to say I was pissed! After a lot of discussion I was able to get the vehicle for $220. but still had the $125. prepaid charge. I am protesting this charge with Visa right now. After this experience, I checked their reviews and they are pretty bad.

maksimt2
7/25/18

They send me with my reservation to a third party, as I understand-Airport Van Rentals Chicago.These guys are total scam. People, do not rent from them! Ordered Chevy Tahoe over Rentalcars.com. Got old Ford Expedition with 64K miles on odometer. Millions of dents and scratches and even loose rear view mirror-all weren't the worse. The car was underivable at the speed 60 and up because of unbalanced tires. All shaky and hard to keep it in the lane. Also it had serious issue with brakes (looks like brake pads needed to be taken care of). Because of that I needed more time to get to places I needed to be and was not able to return car on time. In that case they charge you double rent+fee. Big companies who care about the reputation and clients don't do that. Be aware!

enginy1
7/20/18

Eventhough I left car one day before than I booked they didnt pay my money back ane defended themselves as writing this on contract. Noone can read so many procedure during renting a car. They force you to pay money without any service or product. Customer rights say it is not allowed to get payment without having service but they know that noone will pursue this for 100-200 in an international area.

danield308
7/19/18

Additional payments and surprises with the most ridiculous statement that terms and conditions you agree to are indicative only and will differ from those you find on collection. Insurance scam of course same as others are mentioning. Green Motion decided that insurance purchased is not valid and either I purchase their one or block almost the value of the car on the card. This is not a business partner you would like to have at any time.

jadem42
7/14/18

Booked a car in dubai and got to counter to pick car up and the worker explained the rental cars. Com had booked a car that wasn't available and couldn't understand why they would do that...I refused the car that was offered and proceeded to try and cancel my booking via the rental cars app and low and behold that function mysteriously stopped working I proceeded to try and contact them via live chat and after my 1st complaint I went back to app and that function had been disabled as well
Nil communication from the company at all to apologise and just took my money with no explanation given,,,also there was no way to put a review on the app as it only went back to them as feedback lol what a joke of a company would not recommend as they are a bunch of crooks grrrrr

andrewb460
7/11/18

Buyer beware! Don't use. I Purchased car rental and prepaid insurance for car in UK. On arrival local rental told me insurance wasn't valid to take the car. Costly insurance replacement. Essentially trapped to pay more to get a car. Rentalcars had poor customer service and no interest in helping or refunding. According to local car employee it is a common practice.

mehdig6
7/10/18

They cancelled my booking without notifying me; I turned up there and there was no car available; my whole travel plan was ruined since all other providers were sold out.
Terrible customer service over the phone; they hold me 30 min on hold when I asked to talk to manager and they disconnect the call before talking to the manager

cesarem2
7/9/18

I used it two times the site (yes one scam was not enough) they precharge the money and usually they should answer for the booking in reality they buy the rent for you from an official car hiting company so you still have to answerr the hie company to take the car from. So in case of an incident you still have to pay the full ammount to the official hire company then you may file a claim to rentalcars but you may immaging how difficult it could be.
Absolutly to avoid is far much better rent a car directly (which I did) you receive a much more professional customer service and usually the difference is 2/3 euro.
Definitly stay away

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?