Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

annv29
4/26/18

Paid £149 for 4 days car hire in Naples with Budget only to be charged another £350 on collection of the car.

There was no indication, whatsoever, of additional charges on collection that would amount to over £350.

Very shameful practice.

Abysmal response from Rentalcars.com saying there is nothing I can do about it!

Cancelled a future booking for Lisbon and going to a better organisation.

Also, their replies take forever! Forget the 24 hour guideline they give themselves. More like a week!

andreyb28
4/26/18

I booked a car 1,5 months before I needed it. Then (15 days before pick-up date), I decided to change the pick-up location. First of all, I contacted their support to find out if I have enought time to change the pick-up location then print voucher etc. they told me that it should take up to 48 hours. They also asked me if I'd like to change the drop-off location and I agreed. I asked if they require anything from my side to proceeed with my request before I left the chat, they wrote that nothing else is required and they will contact me by email. After 3 days I decided to check how the things are going. Guess what? I was told that they even didn't send my request cause they need my to confirm the drop-off location by the phone! I asked them just to change the pick-up location in this case (cause I didn't have time for a call etc.) and they told me that the request was sent to the rental company. Then I got in touch with them every 2 days and checking the progress (cause the time was passing) and at the end I asked to cancel my request cause I didn't have enough time to wait till I pick up the car. During the entire hire process and pick-up change, nobody got in touch with me. Moreover they didn't nothing with my request. I suggest to not use this service! Just use any other instead of this one

Tip for consumers: Do not use this service, find another way to book a car.

ivore
4/21/18

Booked a medium size car and pick up at the airport paid deposit, then paid in full, then they changed the size of the car to a small one and changed pick up location via shuttle bus they didnt tell me they had changed it, still charged me same price for medium size car to small car phoned up told them not happy on phone for ages arguing with them, cancelled and they kept £30 deposit not told that they keep deposit, finally got a refund it should have been £161.04 looked on my card statement and they kept another £30 challenged them and they said it was the banks fault they had proof that they refunded me in full but clearly in black & white on my card statement online it says they only paid me £131.04, I paid £191.04 in total so should have got back £161.04 so still owe me £30 threatened them with court if they dont refund the rest. What a really awful company and there customer service is zero........ i will defo not be booking with them again

georgeg203
4/19/18

WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! SCUM! DONT EVER rent a car from this company. They are stole money !! Thats is their job!

razvand1
4/10/18

Arrived at the airport to pick up the car I paid for weeks in advance. Used the same card that I'd used weeks before to pay the deposit, the card was rejected because it was a debit card (it wasn't). Instead they told me they had one last car that I could rent for a 'small mark-up' because the time was short. Much to my surprise the small mark-up was from 200E to over 3,000 euros (yes, 15x). They told me none of the other companies would be able to rent me a car at that busy time. I went to the first company I could find (literally 2 window shops away) and got a car for a bit over 200E. They refunded me with less than 100e for the 'trouble', so you could say it was a good day's work for rentalcars.com! I'm not one for giving advice to what people should do, I'm just going to say I would never consider them as a car rental option in the future.

michela30
3/30/18

DON'T TRUST THEM!
We made a reservation for a car 3 months ago and we paid for it. Surprise: we got to the airport and the car is not available. No explanation. This is happening for the second time.

Insane. DOn't TRUST them

anoukt
3/25/18

I made a reservation with Rentalcars, 60 days prior reservation we decide to cancel it. When i made the reservation i saw, free cancellation, but no... not true... you have to click on the little information to see that they refund except the deopsit.
Since it's 60 days before we take the car... I try to talk to them to explain the situation and be refund for the the deposit but no... no one want to talk to me... no one respond to my e-mail.... they are hiding.... just like kids when they know they've done wrong and they hide hoping you will forget....
I wonder what they do when thing go wrong, a damage, the car is not there, problem with the cart rental dealer.... I would be scared now.... don't you?

louisec94
3/20/18

Do NOT use this company unless you want to overpay for car rental.
I rented a car in the UK through Europcar rented via rental cars.com. I had worldwide car insurance through my American credit card and have managed to utilize this in the last 15 years of traveling to the UK.
On arrival in the UK after 2 long flights I was told that Europcar would not accept any 3rd party insurance. As I had to have a car and had a meeting to get to I had no alternative but to accept the Europcar insurance but I told them I would dispute it once home and that I was very unhappy.
The cost of the insurance was almost double the original cost of the car rental.
I feel misled by both companies and rentalcars.com customer service has been less than helpful.
Btw when I was collecting my car in the UK there was another person from the USA having exactly the same issue.

rafalp4
3/17/18

I made a reservation and for some reason guy by desk in Airport refused rent, so hade to cancelled booking, but RentalCars taken my money!!! And given my back only 50%!!!!

hakonb
3/12/18

Most went wrong on this car hire from Munich airport, where we had to wait 90 minutes from we got to the Budget/Avis desk till we got the car.

- Fuel Up Front Option: I was explained that there was now downside for me to leave the car with a partly filled tank. I would just pay for what Budget/Avis filled up. I still was charged EUR 96,-, which was abt. 4 times what I expected.

- Additional Products: This was a roof rack, which turned out to be far too small for our purpose (and I had assured upfront that I needed something to take a lot of skies). So we had to skip the rack, and asked if they could skip that particular cost of 40 EUR. Oh yes, that could be possible, but had to be done by email request via Budget, after the hiring period. So we did, but no money back.

- Location surcharge: I have no idea on what this is, and why to pay it. It was something like 90 EUR. We actually got these money back after complaining.

Of course they did not have the car type that we ordered. We were therefore offered a smaller car, but to a higher price! Of course we did not accept that, and after some while got a large 9-seat van, where we had to put all the ski stuff inside and on top of the seats, unsecured.

- Price: Agreed price was 80EUR. Got a bill of 230EUR, but my card was actually charged 280EUR!
Got 90 EUR back, but still this is still fraud.

susanat5
3/11/18

I made a reservation and for some reason my credit card go through, so I cancelled and my husband made a new booking. A week later, they charged it, so they kept my credit card number, and decided to go for it and make the reservation with out my consent.

carinag4
2/25/18

I rented a car in Miami, rental was prepaid, and when I got to the Hertz office to get the car I found there was no one there, but a phone cabin to get in touch with a hertz employee who could hardly find my reservation. In the reservation I clearly indicated my son's name cause he was the driver, but the payment was made with my credit card....and they accepted that and the charge was made. However, we were told that name of the driver and card bearer should match each other, so there was no wsy for us to get the car. I went back to the hotel , called rentalcars to London, just to be told that they would cancel the redervation but charging cancellation fees....when it was their fault for wrongly accepting the payment as it had been made and confirming the reservation. Now they've stolen me Us$ 252....and I 've lost one vacation day with all tbis stuff!!!

carolm270
2/21/18

We are out of $340. They claim that the transaction is still pending. However, they have gotten the money. They are scammers out of England. We have not even gotten a receipt of the transaction. They double talk you. We have no car. And are out of our money that they claim they did not receive.

larryb180
2/20/18

I was charged more for the car than my reservation stated and have gotten nothing but the run around Dollar rental cars states I have to go to Rentalcars.com, Rentalcars.com says go to Priceline.com, Priceline.com can not find anything and sends me back to Rentalcars.com. I have gotten nowhere. Even with the printed reservation Dollar rental cars will not stand behind it, do not fall for the bait and switch price the rental car companys will no stand behind it.

irinaf2
2/19/18

The communication is beyond bad. I sent a multiple emails and gor 0 replies. Next time I will go directly to the Budget to avoid the hassle of getting my requests answered and saving money for the cancelled fly rental days as Budget would do.

tomf123
2/19/18

I booked a car through them, but I wasn't given a car. They refused to give me my money back, coming up with all sorts of excuses (they had to cover their admin costs, it wasn't their responsibility, I hadn't turned up to pick up the car (I had proof that I had) etc). Eventually I went to a small claims court. I got 100% of my money back plus costs. Don't let them get away with it if they do the same to you.

kc224
2/15/18

They took my reservation and the money. When I was going to pick up the car, I received information that the card I paid for my reservation with was unable to use to pick up the car with. It is the same credit card that I paid the reservation with. I contacted my bank and they said that there is no problem with my credit card and it should work. I did not get the car and no money back. I went to another company and hired a new car with the same credit card without any problems. Rentalcars took my reservation and the money. Be careful and try to avoid Rentalcars.com.

johnf403
2/12/18

Rented a car for a three week period, but had to cut my trip short due to family emergency. Returned car five days earlier than planned.... NO REFUND for unused days. STAY AWAY FROM RENTALCARS.COM. you WILL be ripped off.

partl
1/29/18

The car was priced nicely and was very claen. I would use them again. I got a Volvo and I think I might buy one PD Fresno

randys97
1/27/18

We rented a car in at Mexico City Airport for 4 weeks in December 2017. We paid $317 US for rentalcars.com insurance (months in advance as required). When we arrived at Europcar at the airport we were told by the agent (none of them spoke any English at ALL!) that they would not honor rentalcars.com insurance and they would not rent us a car unless we paid them $908 US for their insurance! There were 3 other renters in line who booked through rentalcars.com and each one of them were screwed too. This tells me that rentalcars.com and Europcar both knew in advance that their insurance would not be honored, and that the HUGE cost to use Europcar's insurance would be required. I tried to call Europcar and was put on hold for 45 minutes, so we had no choice but to pay their rip off price for insurance. I have seen crooks before in my life, but these guys are above and beyond anything I have experienced. IF YOU BOOK WITH THESE CRIMINALS, YOU WILL BE SCREWED. COUNT ON IT.

mattr169
1/26/18

Do not use these guys. I I could give them zero stars that is what I would. They are completely dishonest. I cancelled my car as per their criteria. The web page said they would charge a penalty of $200 then they took the whole lot. I paid for 18 days in advance. They took everything. DO NOT USE THESE GUYS. DO NOT USE THESE GUYS. This was in Thailand. RENTAL CARS YOU ARE THIEVES. I have reported this to the Serious Fraud Office in Australia.

lilya43
1/18/18

Went to their Heathrow airport branch in a shuttle. No car was provided even though I'd reserved over a week ago. I asked for a refund so I can go hire from another car rental. I was told their office had nothing to do with refunds but they had card machines there to take money from people. I tried called their phone line, complete waste of time. I had to find my way back to a different terminal of the airport where there a different car rental to hire from another company. I lost the money I paid to them. And it was all very inconvenient making alternative arrangements as I had my my luggages - extremely poor customer service. Long waiting line, still no support. Worst experience. I will rather pay pay a little more and use another car rental with peace of mind.

dr1575
1/16/18

The said liability insurance was included. I was charged $180 extra for my rental at the desk. They did not give me back the money even though I have proof they claimed it was included. Don't use them. There are MANY HIDDEN CHARGES>

angelav40
1/15/18

Lies over lies.... Rented a car online in Liverpool, walked down 40 minutes with my two young children. Europcar advised me that all cars are gone and they rang rentalcars. Of course rentalcars didn't ring me to advise me with this information... I stood 2 hours at europcar, where the woman argued with rentalcars to get me a car. After two hours I was told to get a taxi which I will get refunded after returning of the car... And guess, I had to pay more, had taxi expenses and still no return. Still trying to get my refund since two months now... Will never ever use them again!

ericl135
1/14/18

Rented a car in U.K from these people to collect in Portugal.On collection was told by the Portuguese company supplying the vehicle that the Insurance I had taken out had no standing with them.I had to pay 180 euros and told that this quite often happened with rental Cars.com,but they would refund the money in the U.K. They did not.By the way the car was a heap with 55000 Kms on the clock,and battered to hell

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

4 Photos for RentalCars.com