Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

mykolasb
7/9/18

They are just interested taking your money, then you have to talk with Abdul from overseas who does not care either

almerb

Réf 392777265

I have booked a car and payed online with Rentalcars at Rome fiumicino airport with Goldcar renting company for 139 euros . Arrived at the airport the person at the counter told us that he is not accepting our Visa international credit card for insurance deductible because he says it is a debit card. Actually it is a standard Credit card that most people use. Then I proposed to use a mastercard gold which he also refused . Actually they would accept my credit card only if I take a full insurance and therefore I have to pay 190 euros more. This is simply stealing money from customer by forcing them to pay much more than the price given by rentalcars. I have refused this blackmail and rented a car from another company (by the way they have accepted my credit car without any problems). However having booked with rentalcars probably in collusion with Goldcar, I will have to pay 3 days of car renting although I didn't rent any car with them. Therefore I will not get refund. Their behaviour is such a shame...Don't trust positive reviews on car renting companyies on rentalcars.com. It was my mistake.

stevec470
7/6/18

Do not use Rentalcars.com to book a car. Youll end up in a he said, she said dispute if theres any booking errors.
I recently booked a rental car from Dollar Rent-a-Car in Nashville, TN via Rentalcars.com for a daily rate of $34.91/day. At the completion of the rental I was charged $72.41/day. Thats a 107% increase in the daily rate versus what was confirmed at the time of booking! I was overcharged $37.50/day plus taxes.
Dollar customer service says the rate of $72.41/day was transmitted to rentalcars.com for the booking.
Rentalcars.com, who receives no money from this transaction, says that rate of $34.91/day was provided by Dollar Rent a Car at the time of booking.
So, my only recourse is to vent on social media. Buyer beware.

sonias85
7/6/18

Worst rental cars company. The car was dropped off 5 days earlier and they didn't refund the unused days although the car company doesn't charge for them. Their insurance wasn't accepted by the car rental company as full insurance. Nobody ever picked up the call in Romania. It takes ages to manage the issues. Think twice before you book your car through them !!!

atanub
7/5/18

Never book with this company RentalCars.com. They are unethical and utterly dishonest. They advertise very low price but hardly mention that you have to pay for mileage. When you get the bill after returning you will be shocked. When you complain somebody in Britain replies to you. May be this kind of malpractice works well in Europe. They give you runaround and never refund. Budget is their partner in crime. I got burned twice and was charged about hundred dollars extra for $75 rental. Would give zero stars if i could.Never again. Do not book. they are the..

reneem106
6/28/18

Hidden fees, extra post service charges, a looonnng list of scam terms and conditions that are contradictory to the companies policies that they claim to represent. Oh, and here's the kicker, however long you THINK you're purchasing your insurance for, you're actually paying DOUBLE. They don't tell you that of course. They wait till after the purchase (and only when you complain) to let you know that they charge an EXTRA CALENDAR DAY'S worth of insurance fees "to cover you in case you pick the car up early or drop it late"... not that you did do this... just "incase". The complaints process is so long winded and vague that they hope you'll give up.

brendanu1
6/27/18

Do yourself a favour and book with a car hire company , not some web based rubbish. Do not buy their insurance either.
The car we received at Belfast was the wrong one and really should of been valeted. Ive hired cars every year from almost all the car hire companies and Ive never had a car as scruffy as this one. Do yourself a favour and pay the extra for the service youre entitled too. Not sure what percentage of the fee this company receive but I wont use a third party again. I think we got the pool car and its no exaggeration. If I had checked reviews first I would not be writing this now. Good luck if youve booked with them but I believe you can cancel beforehand.

loris368
6/25/18

Would give ZERO stars if I could. BUYER BEWARE! The little amount of money you would be saving is not worth the headache from this company. I had a simple question about my reservation that I called RentalCars.com to ask about...big mistake. The rudest customer service I have ever had the displeasure of encountering, so much so that that one "simple" question turned into me cancelling the whole entire reservation. This is a foreign company, which is another thing I was mislead about. I went to check the prices with Budget directly and they were only higher by $50 so I booked it and saved myself a headache.

michaelf544
6/24/18

We have rented a panda in Prat, Barcelona last Thursday 21/6-18 & were rather apprehensive having read all the horror stories about rip-offs, insurance scams, endless waiting & extra charges...
We could just say no thanks to extra insurance & other options when Andrea proposed them. We got the car fast even where there several clients before us.
We reserved a deposit as we have a credit card & not just a debet.
Fiat was rather new & clean -there was a scratch in the front & missing anatena & this was noted in the protocol. Minor scratches were not noted as they should be over 5cm.
We returned the car clean & with full tank without any problem.
We got real value for our money...

alexd213
6/23/18

Please use any other rental car company...
You thought Philip Green was dodgy...these guys are gold medal winners.
100s of clauses in their Terms, all scamming you. Embarrassing.

richardl442
6/17/18

Booked with company and received a message indicating my rental code. When I went to collect card I was told I should have brought more ID, however this wasn't on the notification I received. I asked "Andy", working at the office in Ponteland, Northumberland on 17/06, what options were, to be told if I collected some more ID I would be ok; spent £40 on taxis getting said ID only to discover on returning that "Andy" had left, my car had been allocated to someone else as I was late and there was not record of me being there at my original allotted time. It might have been nice of "Andy" to have been a little bit more informative on this front, but I think that was stretching it as just asking him to help with a taxi number to get a lift from his office seemed to be far beneath him. I ended up being stuck with losing my payment or having to fork out for a more expensive car. At the Ponteland, Northumberland office customer service was in short supply, while my rental was being sorted out there was an on going argument with a customer already at the office.

robertp689
6/15/18

Booked a car and an hour later was cancelled. They took my money and then called the booking advising it will be refunded within 7 days. Stranded with $800 deducted from my credit card. Thank god for Amex and then refunding me the amount straight away.
They are also kept the commission of $20 and have done nothing for it.

My partner lodged a review and they reported it to trustpilot who removed it. Dont trust this company.

murrayr16
6/14/18

I am in Riccione Italy wanting to modify my car rental booking by adding a day at the front end. I've tried doing this on line at Manage my Booking but it provides a message saying you can't do that so contact them. So three emails later, two of them unanswered, one that did not do as I asked, two attempts at live chat both times "unavailable", and two telephone calls to the number provided on their website supposedly available 24x7 but neither of which were answered. I've had to call the vendor Europcar in Rimini who have solved the problem instantly. The moral of this storey is Rentalcars.com is guilty of false advertising, misleading if not fraudulent information, negligence and plain old fashioned incompetence. I'll be letting Europcar know so they can review their association with Rentalcars.com. They do not deserve your business.

lewish45
6/13/18

We've been left stranded with 2 young kids in geneva after a rental car.com booking for Hertz/Thrifty refused to accept debit cards (or cash) as a deposit for a PREPAID rental with prepaid, fully comp insurance. I've never owned a credit card in my life and dont believe in spending what you dont have. It does say they only accept credit cards in the t&C's but I was told on the desk they could take debit cards but didn't like to. No refund and thoroughly unimpressed

benq8
6/7/18

AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE. I was just hung up on by employee number 221106 (Katrina), absolutely terrible company with terrible customer service. If you arrive more than 5 minutes late they have the ability to cancel your booking and offer you a zero refund. Due to a flight delay and then cancelation I was unable to pick my car up at 10:30PM one evening, and I arrived in the morning to pick up but my booking was canceled. Meaning, they kept every cent that I paid and provided me zero help. I gave them notice and heads up, but they don't care at all. The customer service is terrible and they don't care about their customers. This company is a total scam. I would recommend booking directly with the company rather saving a negligible amount of money booking through them. TERRIBLE COMPANY, AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

galar
6/7/18

Dont do it ! They dont refund the money bien if is they mistake
It weas the worst experience
I booked a car for 27 dollars for one day and in the place the asked for 72 and then they couldnt peces my car so they cancel my booking but they refused to refund my money !

julias159
6/7/18

We booked a car through their website with Arnold Clark as the provider, scheduled from 26-05 to 28-05 as an automatic car, as they confirmed via email.
However, on the 26th Arnold Clark only had a manual car available for us and did not receive the information about our request for an automatic gearbox from their side. Thus, we called Rentalcars customer service and talked to an employee, who told us that this was due to an IT error on their side and we could not get an automatic car from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen downtown. As we have never driven a manual gearbox before and never drove in the UK before, we felt very uncomfortable about driving a manual car. After the Rentalcars employee talked to the lady at Arnold Clark over the phone to confirm the error, he suggested we take a taxi to the airport where a car with an automatic gearbox would be available at Easirent. Furthermore, he suggested we cancel the booking with Arnold Clark, which we did.
After we had cancelled the booking and called a taxi, the Rentalcars employee assured us that we would get an automatic car at the airport and put us on hold to finalize the transfer of the booking. However, a short while later he told us that unfortunately no automatic car would be available at Easirent after all and suggested we continue our booking with Arnold Clark as that would be the only way to get a car.
Even though we felt extremely uncomfortable doing that we decided to follow that suggestion as we had a vacation trip planned and needed the car. Over 1:30h had passed and we just wanted to head off to our planned trip.
Unfortunately, as our original booking was already cancelled by Arnold Clark, the conditions we payed for were no longer available and the new price for the manual car would now have been way higher than the original one for an automatic car. At this point, we felt extremely frustrated about the situation and called Rentalcars customer service again.
This time, we spoke to another employee. After explaining our situation, she put us on hold for 30 minutes. After that, she informed us that an automatic car would be available at the Easirent airport station after all and suggested we take a taxi there. She transferred our booking to Easirent and assured us that we would get a full refund on all extra costs caused by this transfer, including taxi costs.
Eventually we got the automatic car we payed for at the Easirent airport station, at 1:15 pm instead of 10 am - a delay of more than 3 hours.
Unfortunately, the Easirent insurance policies include an excess of GBP 1250 to be payed by the renter in case of an accident, instead of GBP 750 at Arnold Clark. For this reason, to get similar conditions to the ones we had at Arnold Clark we purchased an additional insurance.
Overall, we are etremely disappointed in Rentalcars services and will never book through them again. Almost two weeks later, we still have not heard anything about the promised compensation. I strongly recommend NOT doing business with Rentalcars!!

Tip for consumers: don't use it!!

hadik3
5/31/18

Car rental in Create, Greece, worse experience we ever had with rentalcars.com
Flew over 3000 miles, waited about 30 minutes in line for our turn at the rental agency at airport terminal in Create Greece, then the agent told us sorry the agency have a new policy that you have to have international driver Lic. California driving lic. in not accepted, we had to go next door to another agency to rent a car for almost double the price. The bigger problem is when we came back from our trip and noticed refund was not made yet, we contacted customer support and after few emails back and forth with customer support the offered to refund 2 days of of 5 days.
From our experience with this company, they are money hungry and they will use every mean they can to suck a penny out of you.
Not sure what is the justification for not refunding the full amount for a contract was not fulfilled.
Just stay away, pay little more somewhere else but you know you are dealing with real respectful company.

barbaras495
5/24/18

Made 3 reservations and had to cancel twice. Have not been credited for two cancellations and in process of trying to get refunded $1040.70 they owe me! Also, paid for CDW, collision damage waiver, then paid Europcar again for premium insurance to tune of $$490.18! Avoid Rentalcars at all costs! And Europcar. Stick with big names like Hertz.

dianew187
5/20/18

When I wanted to cancel the day before they kept three days ( almost $100 ). It says free cancellations on their home page. When you look at questions and answers it says free cancellations. Its only when you cancel that you find out they have charged you because its in a contract that you never get to see until you cancel!! They are scammers.

christineb232
5/13/18

I made a reservation for a mini van a month before my travel date, a few days before I called the rental car company to confirm and was told that rental.com had canceled my reservation. When I called them they were not helpful at all. The first person I spoke to connected me to Budget car rental who told me again that Rentalcars had canceled my reservation. Second time I called she couldnt even help me find me another car. Told me to go on the internet and look. Horrible company. No customer support at all.

ryans313
5/11/18

We were charged more than double what we expected we would need to pay.

We booked the option to have a second driver through rentalcars.com and therefore thought it was included in the price but we got charged for it again by Europcar.

Also we did not get the small car we wanted (Toyota Aygo) but an "upgrade" which was just a car that needed to be in the country we ended our holidays. A car that needs to be brought back to its home country is totally fine, but not the huge model (Toyota Avensis) we got instead of what we booked.

They told us to not hand in the car with full fuel because the fee for fuel there would be cheaper than what we would pay for it (because they have a deal with gas stations which made sense for us at the time). That was definitely not true, since we had to pay about 50 EUR for 20 liters of standard gas.

Also there were additional 30 EUR for taxes from Europcar on top of what was stated that the fees for gas, one-way and additional driver would be costing.

When we complained when we brought the car back the guy just told us "I can not do anything about it, that is how it works".

We looked at everything very closely and read the contracts at the counter but because of the explanations we got there and the additional deposit it is very unclear what you actually need to pay in the end.

Tip for consumers: Be ready to pay more than you thought you will, even if you check thoroughly.

terrencef11
5/5/18

I booked a car with them to travel in Italy. During my booking I paid for full insurance cover. However, when I got to the rental company called InterRent in Rome I was told that my insurance is not recognised by them. I will have to leave a deposit of 800 euro and if there is an accident or theft they will charge up to 3000 euros. As a result I had to take an expensive insurance cover with InterRent rather than with Rentalcar.com which cost me 120euros for 4 days.

Had I known this I would have gone with a different rental car company.

The information on their website about the cost for the car and insurance is not correct.

I wouldn't use them again.

alekk2
5/2/18

Here is my story about RentalCars.com and ruined vacation.

We booked a car with automatic transmission a month in advance.
An automatic transmission is really, really important for us.

The booking was confirmed and money was taken.
We got a voucher with the booking.

Now, six days before the start of the rent they sending new booking info and the transmission is manual now.

I called RentalCars.com, they confirm that there was an error on their side, but they can not (or doesn't want) to do anything.
They can not find a new car with automatic transmission in the region.
And giving that only six days left I also can not find any alternative even for a double price.

THANK you RentalCars.com, for a perfect vacations!!!

I would advise anybody against using RentalCars.com services, yes everybody makes a mistake, but good company can fix their mistake for the customers satisfaction and apparently RentalCars.com can not do it.

So, my claim against RentalCars.com is not about their mix-up with transmission, I'm angry because they left me alone with this, and now their mix up is my problem.

Very, very nice :(

Cheers,
Alex Kovalev

Tip for consumers: Think twice.

zk9
5/2/18

choose direct contact instead - they offered a much more expensive car - kept me on international call for minutes - finally I had to cancel the whole booking

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?