Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

hm93
10/22/18

Since Rentalcars no longer reacts to my complaint, I think it's time to tell my story here.

On January 29, 2018 I booked a car through Rentalcars.nl to rent during my vacation in South Africa. The reason why I chose to rent a car via Rentalcars was because their website said that I would not have to pay a 'one way fee'. A 'one way fee' is charged if you hand in the car at a different location from where you picked it up. In my case, this would mean an additional cost of Euro71.

So I booked the car and took out insurance through Rentalcars, and the costs amounted to 476.65. They are also immediately recovered from my credit card the next day.
But nowhere on the costs summary on the website it was stipulated that would not have to pay this one-way fee. This was only mentioned on the pages where one chooses the type of car and the insurances..
This kept bothering me and I sent a mail to Rentalcars with the question whether I would or would not have paid a one way fee. I received an e-mail containing (in bold) letters; " There would be no one way fee surcharge by Avis on site!!".

I flew to Port Elizabeth in South Africa in mid-February 2018 and went to pick up the car from Avis ZA. There I was asked if I had insurance and with whom. When I said that I had taken insurance out with Rentalcars, the desk employee advised to take out insurance policies with them in the future as customers often have problems to have their claim paid out by Rentalcars. That was not a good sign.

I took the car and we went on holiday. And after two weeks I handed the car in, at Avis ZA Cape Town airport.

When I was back in the Netherlands in the middle of March 2018 and access to good internet, a PC and a printer, I started to investigate all the invoices and contract which were sent to me by AVIS ZA via email.
Great was my surprise to see a 'One way fee' cost of 71 on the contract and invoice!
I checked and added up all the costs and yes in the total costs, the costs for the one way fee was included and I did indeed paid for it! Rental cars paid Avis ZA via a voucher and that amount corresponded with the costs invoiced by AVIS ZA and this total incudes the cost for the one way fee.
So I DID pay this one way fee.

I approached Avis ZA about this and they referred me to Rentalcars and that's where the finger pointing game with Rental Cars started. It does'nt matter which manner or way I use to try and get them to acknowledge that I did pay the one way fee, the only response I get is that according to them I did NOT paid the one way fee. I mean, what is clearer than a cost item for a one-way fee that is on the contract and in the invoices. These costs also form part of the voucher amount that Avis ZA received from Rentalcars.
This has been ongoing from end of March 2018 and Rentalcars, even after sending them copies of their website and the AVIS invoice they still claim that I did not pay the One Way Fee.
Avis ZA did everything according to the books and neatly reported all the cost items in the contract and on the invoices. They also answered all questions that I asked them about costs and provided evidence for it (such as speed fines). So I have confidence in Avis ZA that they have correctly and honestly invoiced all costs.
I do not understand how Rentalcars can keep on claiming that I have NOT paid one way fee, when being confronted with all the evidence; the contract and invoices clearly state this cost item and these costs where included in the voucher amount.
I assume that Rentalcars established professional rental and costs agreements with Avis ZA about renting cars and the costs involved. Therefore I have conclude that Rentalcars has misled me with their website promises and I feel scammed.

My tips for someone who wants to rent a car through brokers such as Rental Cars are as follows
1. Check the exchange rate that they use.
2. Make screenprints and save all of the free benefits and specials offered on their websites. Request confirmation of such benefits and specials.
3. Check all cost items on contracts and invoices and request proof.
4. Book directly with the car rental company and not through a broker, this saves you from having to fight' against two parties .
5. Also take out all insurance policies directly from the car rental company and avoid all efforts having to prove your claim with a broker party.

It is now end of October 2018 and Rentalcars do not longer answer my mails or communications.
My last tip for other future renters; DO NOT rent a car through Rental Cars or brokers. Go directly to the company that actually rents you the car!
This was the first and the last time that I rented a car from Rental Cars, you only get scammed by them. This way they earn fast and easy money !!

igorp35
10/15/18

I booked car in Latvia for my planned trip in December. Ander all options was written " free cancellation".
Paid 30£ deposit,booked it.
After we changed mind, about car hire... and try cancel a booking, We have just one option- cancellation fee is your deposit.
Avoid "Rentalcars" you can't trust them.Even there is clearly written " free cancellation" you will be charged.

genevieveb15
10/5/18

I am so disappointed with them. Got a problem with the rental company. I gave them actual proof/documents showing they were lying. Still, after 3 month they tell me they will not pay me back 400 USD even though the car company lied.

So, if everything goes well with your rental, fine. But if anything goes wrong, they will not help you. For that reason I strongly suggest to NOT use their services. After sale service is slow and totally inadequate. And will never help the customer.

athbia1
9/29/18

They stole my money, even though I have a credit card that works all over the world but my rented office does not accept your card. I advise you not to buy from them.

tonyh217
9/24/18

I reserved with Goldcar in Rome through rentalcar.com

Goldcar billed me and Rentalcar.com billed me.

Called their phone number
and its always busy.

Good luck!

unh6
9/23/18

Our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. After notifying RentalCars online that we would be arriving a day later and after a night sleeping in the airport we arrived to be told that we "no showed" and the rental was lost.RentalCars refused to offer a re-booking or refund because "Fees had been incurred" even though Hertz head office made it clear they only get paid once a car is returned.When challenging RentalCars support about the fees they could neither describe or provide evidence of them.

oriettad
9/22/18

On the 25th July 2018 I booked a car to be picked up at Milan Maplensa on the 9th August, I was quoted £ 126.70 to which I agreed and gave my credit card details.

I got my credit card statement and Rentalcars.com has charged me twice,,,,,£126.70 on the 25th July as agreed and a further £248.47 on the 9th August 2018 (????),

I can clearly see on my account that I have been charged twice for the same car, however upon sending several emails, it is now the 22nd of September and I am still waiting for my refund!!......disgusting!!!!!

There is no way to call anyone, emails get ignored, .....never came across to such an unprofessional company!!

I wished I read the reviews on Rentalcars,com before using them,,,,,lots of bad reviews, facebook pages of unhappy customers out there!!!!

Please please please, do not use them!!!!!

ivanjoys
9/14/18

To whoever is planning to book a car through Rentalcars.com please avoid that site for it's a total scam. I made a reservation under their website and they failed to confirm it on a promise time frame of 48hours. To top it all, after the said 48hours waiting for a confirmation from my original booking, they(Rentalcars.com) booked another car for me from another car rental company without my consent and charge my card (again). It's so frustrating reading bad comments on their page for same issue about scam/stealing customer's money/refund problem. Its also hard to reach them through email. So since they don't have a toll-free hotline, I was force to call their international number. The queuing and conversation took a while so good luck with my telephone bill and the refund which I don't know when it's gonna happen. First time to booked at Rentalcars.com and definitely my last. #rentalcars.com #scam #avoidrentalcars.com #stealers

michaelg866
9/13/18

"as you booked through a broker (RentalCars) we will take no responsibility for the correct information they provided" was what we were advised, stood stranded in a foreign airport and being charged double for the rental we booked. Total incompetence. Will not listen. Fortunatley for RentalCars, they do not provide an email account so you have to go through an online "feedback" page to contact them.

luism174
9/13/18

Due to Rentalcars lack of respect and professionalism me and my pregnant wife were left stranded a whole night at the Athens airport. Rentalcars and Goldcars failed to keep professional and ethical standards and refused to compensate us after we had lost hotel, ferry and spent a night at the airport. Please do not hire cars from them, as there is nothing human and their modus operandi, and the lack of professionalism is evident. It is very sad that we got to the point in which this companies and their workers get to have a living at the expenses of other peoples freedoms. A career without the basics of ethical values and respect to people (before being clients) will only lead you to a life of frustration.

jakej49
8/28/18

The worst experience with renting a car ever. I was sold a car from Rentalcars.com for 35 dollars. When I arrived I was forced to play 185 dollars for insurance regardless I had insurance both on my card and from Rentalcars.com. This site is a shame and a fraud.

tedc67
8/24/18

I booked a car ahead of time thru them / but did not look at the reviews. Got to the Orlando airport Green motion was the rental car company. To get that pre-booked price, I had to show Proof of full coverage insurance! I gave them my insurance company name my agents name and all information including my insurance policy #. They wanted to see my insurance contract to get that price! I left and went next door to another rental car company with no problem. Days later after my phone call, they refunded all but a $37.58 cancellation Fee. I'm still fighting that!!! Nothing on either web sight said anything about PROOF OF INSURANCE! So stay away from rentalcars.com

stefanh52
8/22/18

A 90 min delay in picking up a car rented through them did cost me an unwanted $500 upgrade. My documented complaint was not taken seriously. Even this maybe fully legal - don't expect any service if you get into trouble. HANDS OFF!

maryj555
8/20/18

Buyer beware. This company does not practice standard business policy as accepted in the United States. We were on a family trip to Orlando and they tried to bully us into accepting their insurance at $25 per day after we prepaid our rental car prior to arriving at their premises. They would not let us secure a rental car with our American Express card or our debit/ credit card and used that as an excuse to upsell Insurance.

Terms were look at the fine print after they charged our account for full price and held us hostage at their premises until we paid more. This company lacks customer service and credibility. They also charged us a $75 cancellation fee. They did the exact same thing to the man behind us! DO Not her this company!

michaelv237
8/15/18

Totally got scammed in Portugal (Lisbon) by Sixt and rentalcars. Showed up late (2 hours) and my car (that was prepaid) was gone, got forced into an upgrade (there was another family who had the same problem) and paid Euro500 extra! Terms are not clear and using this as an opportunity to upsell, something all rentalcar companies are known for. Have requested compensation but rentalcars refuses any liability in this and will file a complaint with the BVRLA. Looking for other victims to join me. My advice, pay more and go direct or look for other websites to reserve a car. Was told by another company rentalcars.com are known for this practice.

lindaa295
8/10/18

We purchased full insurance for the car, but when we got to the airport to pick up the car we were told that the insurance we had already purchased doesn't work in the UK and we need to have auto insurance through credit card which we didn't and they refused to give us the car. Called customer service and they were very rude and refused to help and did not give us our money back. Save yourself a headache and do not use them.

asafk1
8/10/18

If you arrive late , or on a different flight ( as I did because I missed a connection ) you will NOT receive your car OR your money back

gw59
8/8/18

Unlike actual rental car agencies this broker will fully charge your credit card upfront and refuse to allow any flexibility or alterations to your contract. I did not receive an email confirmation and they insisted that I did -- as if emails don't go missing even if you send them. You have to print or generate their voucher to get the information about the rental as well as to show to the car rental agency -- ridiculous for an online booking -- and since I didn't get their email I didn't have the voucher.

The rental agency itself tried to assist me as best they could but even they don't get paid by rentalcars.com until the end of the rental period and their hands are pretty tied by the contract you sign with rentalcars.com.

It took me about 2 hours to get the car after arriving at the airport, it would have taken 15 minutes if I had booked with a major car rental agency instead of using these thieves at rentalcars.com. I had to take a train to a pick up location and wait for their bus...nothing I saw in their website led me to believe I would face this hassle to save maybe $20.

Just go straight to the agencies and avoid this company at all costs.

andreasc18
8/7/18

Flight to Cologne was cancelled and my car booking too even though Rentalcars had my flight details. Rentalcars say that if you are more than two hours late picking up your car, they will cancel your booking and refuse a refund. I had a chat with their call center and asked for a transcript but never received one. They also charged for insurance which they did not provide as I did not get a car.
Do not trust this company, they fraudsters at best. My booking reference 391874152
I am taking this up as a dispute with my Credit Card company.
My advice, deal directly with the car rental companies.

shaunn17
8/4/18

Be warned..... Rentalcars.com are scam artists who send you a quote and after you have booked and paid for the vehicle they advise the price was a "mistake" and try to charge about 3x the amount. We booked and paid $350 for a rental then got an email saying if we wanted to keep the booking we would need to pay $1030 or it would be cancelled. Like I said SCAM ARTISTS!!!!

jeromec52
8/2/18

I am not sure how Sixt and rentalcars.com collaborate but it was a terrible experience and I dont recommend it to anyone. I have now overpaid, rentalcars.com put loads of money in its pocket for absolutely nothing (Sixt confirmed when picking up the car that no insurance was included in the package) and have a terrible/obnoxious customer services team. Never again.

Huge scam and do not get me started about this Philip guy from customer services whom I had to endure over the phone when trying to understand what amounts they charged me extra for.

In May 2018 I go online to reserve a car with Sixt via rentalcars.com and was debited immediately 570 from my account. I picked up the car at train station on 14th July at Sixt counter and first i cannot even take the car because the reservation name does not match the card name my wife and I want to use for the guarantee. We are there with 2 kids and my wife is pregnant but nothing can be done until we have to give a corporate card as only solution we ourselves came up with.

A few weeks later I get the invoice from Sixt telling me that we have to pay an extra 74 for the car seats on top of voucher of 470 - the question is where did the 100 go from the upfront payment? I call Sixt to clarify but they do not care and tell me to go to rentalcars.com. I call them and Philip answers telling me that the IT system is down. I ask about pricing policy but he says each customer is different (so they can scam them i start thinking) and after waiting 30 minutes the IT system is back up and he tells me that the difference is for an insurance I paid straight to them and not Sixt. In his answer he tells me that my quoted 25% overpayment from earlier was wrong - the nerve of this guy!!!

hitchc
7/31/18

They charged me the full insurance coverage while I mentioned several times that I did not want it as I am already covered with my credit cards. I have booked a navigator and I paid for it, but it did not work at all, I asked to be reimbursed but they did not want. They did not want to listen to you, their customer service is not professional, rude and agressive!! Avoid rentalcars if you want to stay healthy.

gordonm88
7/28/18

If you want to be guaranteed the vehicle type you book, Rentalcars.com aren't the people you'll be wanting to book with.

Booked a SUV, rental outfit handed over a saloon. Nothing else to be done about it. Unable to do half of the things I'd planned.

Customer services dragged their feet over it (for over a month) before handing over a derisory 'offer of goodwill'.

Wish I'd gone direct.

martinf111
7/27/18

After dropping off my car I got an extra bill for $305.00.
I was expecting the airport fee of $30 approx but was charged for liciencing fee and a road useage fee that was not told to me at time of booking. In addition I was told if the car need gas at drop off their prices are comparable.
They charged me over 2pounds per litre when the going rate is only 1.3 litre. Nearly double.
Complete rip off, ask about the extra costs up front, don't trust them to tell you or inform you of anything.

carls199
7/26/18

I booked a car with these guys for Edinburgh airport. Despite the voucher saying I needed a photo ID, they refused to hire the car to me as I didn't have my passport. It was away for renewal. They charged me the full fee and refused a refund. Give them a wide berth, use an established company.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?