Review of Porch.com

2200 First Ave S
Seattle, WA 98134, United States

teej20
6/18/19

Raney was terrible with her customer service. They want you to pay for leads that's fake. They don't refund your money thy just give you a credit to buy another fake lead. Won't use them again.

ahmedn35
6/17/19

I booked an appointment to get my AC unit installed. I had to take time off from my work. Then they didn't show up. After 15 minutes, I called them to know that they unilateraly decided to cancel the appointment. Very disrespectful!!

frankr239
6/14/19

Pure garbage lead generation company. Do NOT sign up with them if you want good leads. Many leads come overnight and ALL were bogus leads. It is also funny as the same exact leads come from another lead generation company that we were signed up with which makes me to believe that they buy leads from the same garbage source and then re-sell it to contractors. Also, the fact that most leads come over night, it makes me almost positive that these are pure bogus leads generated overseas by some company then sold to Porch.com and and other lead generation companies.

brandonh171
6/10/19

I signed up because it had free credit to join. The first lead I bought did not respond but I was refunded my free credits back. The second lead I got a contract on. The lead was 10.50 and the job was 2800. However I have been harassed nearly everyday with phone calls and emails to solicit me buying their premium service.

monicag106
6/3/19

A porch handyman was able to mount my tv quickly and I booked the whole thing online. Would use this service again!

degreatnessd
5/31/19

First they scheduled me to have a window a/c installed on 5/26,(a Sunday). This was the Memorial Day weekend. Then the day they were suppose to install the a/c they call me saying they have to reschedule because it's a holiday weekend. They now reschedule me 4 days later to 5/31 at 10:00am. I call them to confirm the day before which they assure me someone will call 1hr before my 10:00am appointment. The day of the appointment no one calls. I call them at 9:40am, then I'm told they couldn't locate a guy for the job and they will find another person to do the installation. I then inform them how disappointed I was in their unprofessionalism and that I'll be looking at other places to complete the job. Within 20mins they call me saying they can have someone else over by me by 3:00pm. I told them I was no longer interested.

colem61
5/29/19

I signed up to be a contractor, I have used lead generating platforms before and had some good luck. Immediately I received bad leads that did not pay for the leads that I received, I gave it a year and still no luck. This doesn't bother me, maybe the leads were not a good for my company.

Where things seem a little scammy is when I went to cancel my account. They play games, their "cancellation department" seems to never be available, I tried calling several times at different times of the day and still the "cancellation department" is not available. They just kept charging my credit card and giving me the run around. I have disputed the charges and feel confident that they will be removed, but still what company does this?!?

I would not recommend. I dug into the company and they laid off half of their employees last year...not a good sign. Spend your money elsewhere...

timothyg130
5/29/19

We have tried for years to get Porch to stop using our company name to lure in customers. They refuse, and it seems there is nothing we can do. When we google our name, Porch comes up number 2 as the place to find us. We have an option to "claim" our business, but to do so, you have to accept their terms, and we do not. We do not wish to pay for leads, basically stealing our customers who are looking for us or who have heard of us, only to sell them to another who is willing to pay or sell them to us. Hijacking data is what this is. We have serviced the area over 27 years now, this is just a shame.

thomase139
5/22/19

On April 24th I posted a request for a general contractor that could build a screened in covered porch and a side deck for my new home on porch.com. on April 25th I was contacted by a contractor named Aly Abdeltif who is the owner of a company called Construction Near Me. He told me he was referred to me through porch and could have his lead carpenter meet me at my property to give me an estimate of what the job would cost. That afternoon I met with Timothy Starkey at my property and was told that they could do the job for $9,850. After speaking with Aly on the phone and agreeing to the price, I met with him at the permit office so we could apply for the building permit and sign his contract to do the work. He requested that I pay him 60% down to cover material cost so I wrote him a check for $5,910. He told me he would start on the job immediately and would have it finished Within 4 to 5 days. More than a week later and work still had not started on the porch but I had made a change to the size of the side deck and increased it from a 4 x 6 to a 8 x 30. Aly had his lead carpenter Tim meet me back out at the property on May 3rd to get another check from me to cover the cost of the material for the larger deck size. They told me the cost of the larger deck with labor would be a total of $3,200 and they had me sign another contract and requested that I pay that amount in full. This is where everything went downhill. Now that this company had $9,110 of my money they started giving me every excuse as to why they couldn't start work on my property. Every time I spoke with this company they told me they had ordered my material and it was delivered to the property but nothing was ever delivered. This company even tried to get me to pay them in full because they said one of their vehicles broke down and they needed the money to fix it before they could start working. On May 7th the permit office told me that the building permit was ready to be picked up so I let them know they could go by and get it and they did but continued to tell me that they still didn't have the permit to start building which was a lie. The contract that I signed on April 25th said that they would have this job completed by May 21st. After a total of 20 days had passed and no work was done I told the contractor that I would contact the Sheriff's Department and report them for theft by deception if they did not do the job they were hired to do. The contractor sent a crew out late at night and threw together what was supposed to be the frame to my porch but it wasn't built to code. Instead of building the porch on concrete Footers they buried the structural post 16 in into the ground with no concrete nor did they pour Footers. The structure is larger than a 12 x 12 and in the state of Georgia it is required that anything larger than that there must be joist hangers used to support the weight of the structure on the floor joist. Also the structure was not attached to the home and was free-standing without additional support added which also are required by code. When I address this problem with the contractor he told me he was a professional and knew what he was doing and for me to not tell him how to do his job. I told him that if he couldn't build the structure to code then he would need to stop what he was doing before the entire structure would have to be torn down and done correctly. The contractor never completed the job nor did he try to make anything right he just never came back. I contacted the local sheriff's department and they contacted him and informed him that he would be charged with theft by deception if he did not return my money. I am still waiting for my refund. When I contacted porch about this problem they had me put together all of the contract information, checks that I wrote, and any conversations that I had with the contractor. They told me they would help me resolve this problem and would offer to give me back $1,000 of my money to help with legal fees against this contractor. After I worked hard to put all of this information together for them and emailed it to them I received an email back from them just a few minutes later that said that my problem didn't fit the porch guarantee criteria and they would not be refunding me any money. On top of all of this I did a criminal background check on the owner of Construction Near Me and found out that he had been arrested 3 years in a row for felony charges including felony bad checks, felony theft by taking, and felony theft by deception. Porch said that they do a thorough background check on these contractors but apparently they don't. They send people out to your house that obviously have no idea how to build anything and then when they take your money and don't do the work they don't stand behind their guarantee. I would never use either one of these companies ever again.

johnh2007
4/10/19

Do not use porch.com. They make it seem like they will stand behind the contractors they provide. They do not! I got scammed by a plumber that they sent out and neither the (supposed) licensed contractor, or porch will do anything. About 30% of my work was completed but as it was under my house, I didn't find out until they were long gone.

brookes85
4/8/19

I worked for this company for a year. Nothing but a scam.
They partner with inspection companies, and try and sell people things that are not in their contracts. They have already lost many partners for this reason.
They will hound you years after you buy a home trying to sell you Liberty Mutual Home insurance and security systems!
Contractors and handyman aren't worth a dime!!! This company is out to scam you!

kooshaa
3/29/19

I just signed up as a professional 5 days ago. The frist day i had two leads that one of them answered me and he said i just hired someone . The other one didn't answer. I didn't have any leads until i called the customer service and i said there is no lead i want to cancel. They said wait until 2 weeks . Next day tge sent me 2 leads . It was funny ot was phone call project for electrical issues. Some said my light doesn't work how can i fix it. I told them I should to come to look it . Give me your address he hang out me. The other one i told him send some pictures he said okay but he didn't answer me at all.

They charge $259 fee. That it is not refundable and they charge you $ 200 for credit at the frist. They charge 18 at least for each job when they send you but they say will refund your credit after 7 days if the homeowners don't answer. Most of the homeowners just need a quote. They don't have any job.

georget288
3/27/19
• Updated review

I don't even use Porch.com anymore. Got tired of waiting weeks to be credited for bad leads, which I got 99% of the time.

“Contractors Beware”
1/7/19
• Previous review

If you're a construction Pro thinking about using Porch.com, please read on before making what could be a very costly commitment. I've been using Porch for roughly 3 years now. Before them I used Thumbtack for about 4 years and, have used Angie List, and HomeAdvisor and Networx, so I'm pretty well versed in using lead services. When I first enlisted with Porch, like Thumbtack years before, they were fairly new to the market and, offered all kinds of nice incentives to get contractors on board. But as of last year, their attitude towards contractors in their database has drastically changed, and it's obvious that they are no longer focusing on providing good service to it's contractors, but lining their pockets with green. See, Porch boasts that they have a great lead credit policy, which is total bull$#*!. When I first joined Porch, if I got a bad lead, all it took was a phone call to Porch to get credit. For non responsive leads, you only had to make two phone calls and send two texts before requesting credit. Then they added that the lead had to be open 72 hours before you could request a refund for non responsive customer (this change was implemented without me being informed, resulting in them robbing me of $100). Then they added the rule that you had to attempt 2 calls and 2 texts to the customer within the first 72 hours (wasn't notified, this time they robbed me of $50). For about 30 days (between November and December 2018) they changed the system to give automatic refunds to bad leads that met their criteria. That quickly changed to them promising to refund credits for bad leads within 48 hours. It's taking them upwards of 5 days to give credit for leads that for example, have a disconnected phone number attached. They've changed the system so that leads that have non responsive customers are supposed to be automatically credited after 7 days. This is total bull$#*! cause their rule now is, unless you are a vetted pro, if another contractor makes contact with the customer, you can't get a credit. Now they have a section in each purchased lead called "lead details" which is supposed to show if any contractor has made contact with a particular customer, which I always view. I had a case where I requested a refund and was told that the homeowner had connected with another Pro. But, "lead details" showed that I was the only contractor to reach out. When I questioned this ( when I could still get phone assistance) the agent told me that tracking system they used in house was different than the one provided in "lead details", and that the customer had hired another Porch contractor. That was another $50 they robbed me of. Today I'm in my 10th day of a non responsive lead which has not been credited by their automatic system, so that's bull$#*!. Now they have some new crap called "Vetted Pro". It's a system that requires you to give them $275 for a background check. This also gives you access to there phone techs whenever there is a problem with a lead. I can't even call in anymore because my calls are routed to an agent who never answers when I call, and who can't do anything for me about lead credits. If you are not a "Vetted Pro", you're treated like a tire kicker. I could overcome much of the bull$#*! I get with Porch through the leads I purchase, except, 95% of the leads I purchased last quarter were NO GOOD PERIOD! People are not requesting the service, yet their names and information show up as supposedly valid lead. I confirmed that when I bought a lead for a bath remodel that ended up being a sub contractor that I use for my bath remodels. Of all the lead generation companies I've dealt with since 2006, I have purchased more invalid leads through Porch, than all of the other companies combined, and in less time. Sure I question this whenever I can get a live person (I use different phones whenever I need to get through since my phone number is obviously restricted), but I get as many different answers as bad leads. I argue that it's not cool to tie up contractor's money, money that they could use towards valid leads. Their response, "Most of I contractors keep enough money in their budget where they're not waiting on credits to buy new leads". Makes sense, except, who wants to invest $200 or more every month on invalid leads, that end up tying their money up unnecessarily. So in conclusion, I'm not telling anyone not to use Porch. The truth is, on the rare occasion that I purchase a valid lead, if I can get an appointment with the customer, my closing rate is in the 90 percentile. The money I make from valid leads generally makes up for the money Porch robs me of so, for me it's a calculated risk. This is not the case for everybody, and you could end up losing a lot of money dealing with Porch. I suggest you not put all of your peas in one pot, and put the least amount into Porch.

chrism930
3/22/19

Started out as a pretty reliable company lead responses or maybe three out of five which was great if you're a good salesman for your trade.. 15 people in a row never got a response even though they were legitimate voicemail and I even asked for them to let me know if this was a bogus requests. That tells me they are probably expanded and made their site easier to get trapped on by accident resulting in tons of bogus leads with people that have no idea what I'm talking about and say they never requested work. It gets so frustrating trying to get credit because it has to go back to that mean while your account is empty and then something else comes along. HomeAdvisor did the same BS. They expanded so big I was dealing with the Philippines to request credit.. maybe they should scream for customers and call them themselves and then send them your way or have them call you. They were great what a sad State of Affairs they have become.

paolom25
2/28/19

Just spent hundred of $$$ for nothing.
Inaccurate leads
They don't want to refund your money once you decide to cancel the subscription.
TOTAL SCAM !!!

kennethh202
11/6/18

I am a professional and receive 4-5 Porch leads a day and 95% of them are junk with little if any description and a complete waste of time. I called them to have them stop the email leads and after calling them twice I still get their leads. The leads cost up to $50 per lead and most of the leads are consumers that are want something yesterday because they failed to pull a permit or consumers that still believe there are desperate professionals out there that wouldn't eat their next meal unless they underbid their project. I have actually paid for a lead and met with the person and he did not own the land that he wanted to build on but was thinking of maybe someday' purchasing the land and wanted to dream' of what could be placed on the property - keep dreaming pal and stop wasting other peoples time! Oh - and try to get your money back because Porch failed to properly vet their customers - good luck with that!

maryw515
6/6/18

Wonderful electrical service by Chris from Anchor Electric. Chris was there when he said he would be. He was friendly and professional and checked each item off my "to do" list. I will definitely be calling on Anchor again!

pennyh57
6/5/18

Was not selected to do the job. Did provide an estimate. Was higher then 2 others. did communicate with text and email.

steveno50
6/5/18

Fantastic service by the Porch Mowing Service. Showed up exactly on time, and didnt waste any time taking care of the front and back yard. Id recommend them to anyone!!

andyl128
6/5/18

I would never deal with you again you were rude uncaring . How the does someone in the horse $#*! state of Fla. know about plants in Ohio. Screw you

jat3
6/1/18

This guy is very rude and a rip off artist. He charged me $700 for changing a fan capacitor in my A/C and replaced the wire ends that hooked to it, he charged me for a bunch of stuff he didn't do, and I had to have another company come out and rework his work where he used the wrong wire connectors and the A/C only worked two days before the wire connectors he used fell off. Then he had 100 excuses why he doesn't guarantee his work. Don't trust anything this guy says . He should not be allowed to touch anything on an A/C. He could have burnt down my house. He is just looking to gouge who ever he does work for, BEWARE!!!!!.

Questions? Get answers from the Porch.com staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Porch.com