Review of Plated

help@plated.com
2018 Customer choice award

jenniferf111
8/4/17

I must have ordered plated 20 times and made 60 meals. I wanted so bad to like it because I loved the variety of recipes and they were pretty tasty and easy to follow. The quality of the food however week after week was not acceptable. I would get a $12 credit whenever I would report moldy, or expired food. I even had garlic that was growing mold once. My final straw was I had a meal that was completely inedible. The romaine lettuce was brown and moldy and when I opened the chicken my son could smell the stench from the other end of the room. I explained that $12 credits just aren't cutting it, I want to feel like I have consistent meals. What did I get.. a $12 credit and heard nothing about my complaint on the chicken. I'm done. There are other companies, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh etc. that have good food and you don't have to be scared of it.

alissat2
7/23/17

We were very excited to try Plated since we already receive Blue Apron and like it. Of the recipes we've tried, they have been pretty good. Plated comes with dessert and that was a huge plus for me. We have had 3 or 4 boxes and at least 2 times we have received items that are spoiled. In addition, there have been items missing from the recipes. It is super inconvenient and disappointing to get to the middle of the recipe and find that there are items missing or spoiled. We get Blue Apron to save on time and money since we live busy lives. Plated made things very stressful at home when we were on a time crunch. Go with another company if you want to try boxed recipes. Home Chef and Blue Apron have been good to us.

sherryd35
7/7/17

I have no complaint with the food or deliveries. The food was good. However, the poor rating I gave this vendor is because when we received a gift card, our credit card number was required. I wanted no more than what I ordered to redeem the gift card. And the boxes kept coming even though I didn't order them or specify the dates. When I saw the charges on my credit card statement, I called Plated. They said I should have been told that it was a weekly service. I asked to be removed from their list and credited back what I did not order. Didn't happen. Plated needs to correct this. It will improve their rating significanty.

hollyn10
6/9/17

I have had no trouble with deliveries at all. In fact the first week I was supposed to get my shipment but UPS couldn't deliver on time (severe storms) they had UPS dispose of the box for me and put off my free box (everyone gets their first one free) until the following week. I had no trouble contacting them or getting it resolved. While this is expected in my opinion, it's important to note. The food has been great, and there are a lot of options to choose from every week. This service also offers 3-serving meals, which is often not the case with other ones. The price ends up being lower for us than choosing another service and paying for an extra serving at each meal. My 3 criticisms: 1. Pretty much no low-calorie options, just low carb. 2. This is the biggest one. A couple of times an ingredient smelled/tasted off to me. The first time I went ahead and used it (corn), cus I'm dumb. It kinda ruined that side dish for me. The second time I left the ingredient (fava beans that smelled vinegary) out, which didn't seem to affect the meal at all, but inexcusable nonetheless. 3. Poor cuts of steak.

judyd49
4/26/17

We subscribed to Plated for about 3 months, and loved the food. However, of the 12 deliveries, only 2 came during the 8 am-8 pm window. We had deliveries that didn't come at all, some that came in the middle of the night, and some that came a day late. Most came around 10 pm, way too late to use for dinner that day. And none of the delays were due to storms or issues outside of Plated's control. We live in the Boston metro area, so it's not as if we're far from a transportation hub, either.

They gave us a few credits in response to complaints, but were never able to sort out the delivery, so we ended up cancelling.

So, zero stars for delivery and the convenience the promise. You can get good food elsewhere without the hassle.

angelac112
3/16/17

The first meal delivery I received was good nothing wrong with it however the next delivery the mushrooms looked old and got some extremely rotten black beans. It takes a long time for those to smell as they did. I chatted with a customer service person and they said I was too late to make any claim of problems with food. I then cancelled the service with one more delivery coming. That delivery had a rotten onion and rotten peas. I am not talking mildly rotten. The peas were partially brown and stunk and the onion had a brown core. I fought diligently to get some kind of credit but they kept telling me I must notice all problems upon delivery ha. At any rate I will not be going back!

julieb197
2/22/17

The customer service is horrible, and there has been something wrong with 5 of my past 6 recipes.

1. I did not receive a box due to shipping facility issues. I asked for a refund and customer service did not make it easy, claiming I was lying about not receiving the box, and never refunded me the shipping amount.
2-3. I received a moldy jalepeno that was inedible, and bokchoy with brown slimy leaves
4. I received a bag of arugula with a large live bug in it
5. I received a taco recipe with 1 less tortilla then was supposed to be in the box.

I am not normally a complainer, but after the unhelpful customer service experience, and the inedible food I have paid for without getting a refund I felt the need to make this public.

maryl298
12/17/16

I was a member of Plated for a few months and liked the meals. The ingredients were fresh and the recipes were things I would normally not make. It usually took longer to prepare than they claimed. I cancelled the service because their random delivery service was horrible. They hire some random people who deliver the boxes from the back of old beat up vans. I seldom received my delivery when it was supposed to be delivered. Sometimes it was delivered after 11pm or the next day which meant the meat would be spoiled. I had it delivered to the back door of my house once which was weird that they were walking around my house after dark. Mostly they claimed that it was delivered but I never received it or the tracking number was bogus and could not be tracked. It was not worth the agrevation so I gave up.

lindas319
10/1/16

The meals aren't large enough to use for our main meal without adding side dishes. I can shop and buy food for two for an entire week by watching local sales for the price of three dinners in the box. Very dissatisfied.

maryloub2
6/21/16

I received a gift card for $120 for what was meant as a lovely and generous gesture. It was a nightmare to use.

To begin with, to start the process, you have to enter your credit card - not a good sign. They really grab you, and want you to start a subscription with them.

My first order was for 2 meals for two persons - it was entered as a "promo" for $30, instead of $54 - not bad! It immediately went on my credit card. Note....there was no way to enter a gift card code. I called and said that I wanted it on my gift card! The customer service rep corrected this, and put a refund for $30. on my credit card.

My order arrived, and I prepared the meals. I am a very experienced cook, and the meals took much longer to prepare than advertised. They were of good quality, but small in amounts. I made some side dishes to accompany the entrees. We are not big eaters.

I skipped a few weeks, and then ordered two more meals, at a cost of $54. I then checked my balance, and found that I had $12. remaining. According to my math, I should have had a balance of $36. When I called the company, they said that I did not qualify for the original $30 promotion, since I had switched from credit card to gift card ?!!

I felt like I was talking to someone from another planet! I told her that they were. crooks, and to cancel my subscription.

I have since tried to e-mail the company to obtain more satisfaction, and my e-mail will not go through, since "My account is cancelled"!

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the company would NOT refund the balance of $12. that is remaining on my account when I cancelled!

karenu7
5/23/16

I love how easy the recipes are! They have super easy to follow instructions and the meals always come out perfect! Makes me feel like a professional chef! My husband has been so impressed!

mikel245
5/3/16

Poor working conditions along with horrible supervision of food quality and handling. Workers do as they please touch whatever they use and Do not change gloves, serve expired food but only plated will know,not the customers.supervisors sleeping with workers,pest problems along with paint chipped walls with lead .items always missing from food or not weighted correct.it's a very unprofessional place to have your food coming from.just my opinion.

williamh183
11/23/15

The fresh ingredients are what has hooked me. It's incredibly convenient having all the nutritious fresh ingredients you need for each meal delivered right to my door!

lewism28
10/16/15

Our daughter gave us a gift card and we cannot seem to redeem it. It seems we have to agree to a weekly meal plan to try the gift card. Also, the web app is not fully supported on Firefox. It has been a very frustrating experience to say the least.

lashawndab
10/9/15

Just received my first plated shipment today and I can't wait to cook it with my husband and kids. Before the box came a customer service representative contacted me to let me know when the box would arrive and what to expect. He also left his information to call if I had any questions or concerns.The food looks very fresh and it was packaged beautifully with labels, etc. The recipe cards are very large and look like magazine covers. The cards give very easy directions with lots of pictures. I'll let everyone know what we thought of the meals after we cook them. Excited!

marys382
9/12/15

SO many different meals to choose from! Everything looks so good it's hard to choose! But I always know no matter what I choose it's going to be delicious! Love the service!

davidp137
6/23/15

We tried the food for one week - and loved it.

But, we don't want to have a weekly subscription that we must remember to sign on and skip any time that we aren't going to be able to use the service. (travel, busy schedule that week, etc.)

Great service for some people - won't work for us. BUMMER!

alexh84
12/18/14

LOVE plated. Great food, great recipes, easy to follow - GREAT customer service. I totally recommend it.

patriciau4
12/11/14

I kept seeing those plated ads all over facebook and finally sucumbed to trying it out. For 2 people this is a great deal. The cost of me buying spices, vegetables, meat for a decent meal can cost $30-40. Which is why I never cook. On plated I can get a meal for 2 for $25....and I don't have to go shopping.

nancyu3
7/13/14

The main reason I have started to use plated over going grocery shopping is that it is actually cheaper than going to whole foods. I am actually saving money buy using this service.

danielt51
7/2/14

Dinner out at a restaurant $60. Dinner using plated and she is at my house $25. Following the recipe is also fairly easy if you stick with the moderate difficulty.

patriciaa26
3/20/14

Going to the store to buy groceries sucks up 2-3 hours per week and if costco is involved it is even worse. Combining plated with amazon local, and I never have to leave the house again for errands!

anns33
1/23/14

Great deals, and prompt customer service if you have a problem. I will buy from them again. Especially wonderful customer service. I wish I could buy from them in Colorado.

81 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Plated staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Plated