Review of Plated

help@plated.com
2018 Customer choice award

hollyp59
1/31/19

After 1.5 years loyal to Blue Apron and dealing with missing/wrong ingredients and recipes, I finally decided to try a different meal service when Blue Apron sent me a random recipe claiming the scallops I ordered were sold out. Plated was an absolutely incredible surprise. The taste and flavours are explosive and different than anything else I've tried! So glad I made this change!

erikaa48
1/4/19

My husband and I aren't great cooks so we were excited to try this meal out. We cooked the seared steak with roasted veggies and loved it. Took us about 35 minutes, food was tasty, and the prep was super easy. Only downside was the green beans were a little old so we used some we had. Not terrible though considering the box was sitting on the shelf at the store for a bit. Great meal for a decent price.

maryw582
12/14/18

I'm surprised by the number of negative comments about Plated because we are very happy and satisfied! My husband and I have had the service for about 8 months and get two meals two times a week. I'm a fairly accomplished cook and my husband a little less to but love the meals and directions we've received from the service. I would say we have absolutely loved about 45%, really liked about 45% and there are just a few we didn't care for. The company is exposing us to a variety of meals and combinations that we wouldn't necessarily have gravitated to on our own. The ingredients are generally well packaged and fresh from our experience. In addition, they immediately responded and gave credit when we had two separate issues (1. pesto spilled within box; and 2. Fedex delivered one box a day late. I also love the variety of meal choices and the ability to easily skip weeks. Great company!

susans886
12/3/18

Received an email with a supposed discount to reactivate my account. To get to the price you have to go through the order process, I was curious so I did. Price was $22 something for two meals, no great deal. So I cancelled my membership. That was November 23(that was the date I was told). Then yesterday my bank account was charged by Plated on December 2nd. I sent 3 emails and called first thing on Monday. I was told oh I am sorry, I can't refund your money because the order in in route. I said no it needs to be refunded because I did not order this. The employee from Plated would only say she would credit me for a future meal. I explained to her this was not ordered, we have just moved and I don't even have a working cook stove!!!
Don't let your curiosity take over from an email because this business is dishonest! I will be filing this as fraudulent charges with my bank and blocking this company from ever accessing my account.
I posted this on their Facebook site and they pulled it. Apparently they don't want true reviews unless they are good.

katherinem163
9/23/18

I once liked Plated, but recently dropped the service due to poor product quality. Stale, tasteless bread, wilted greens, tough carrots, sprouting yellow parsley, lemons picked so green they taste bitter instead of sour, rock-hard avocados that can't possibly ripen before the meat goes bad -- I think Albertsons pulls the perishables that are too low quality to sell in its stores and uses them for Plated.

donaldb270
9/22/18

Well I should know better. We like prepared meals - cooking them together, etc. So we tried Plated. The food was good - instructions clear, etc. BUT we only wanted to try it one week. You guessed it, this shady company buried in its terms and conditions (which of course NO ONE reads) that I was signing up for a weekly subscription. When I saw the email that my SECOND order (which of course I did not order) was to arrive today, I contacted Plated via chat and was informed by the customer service rep that nothing could be done. SO I had her cancel my account - I have not doubt that she has had to do this frequently. I told her she should carry the message to her mgmt that just because all the fool prep companies do this, does not make it right and that this will ultimately hurt their business It is very sad that businesses resort to these kinds of unethical deceiving types of practices. At Export Solutions we do not do this kind of thing - and we have prospered. In fact Tom and I know that God has blessed us because we make a sincere effort to be ethical and honest. Unfortunately the owners of Plated do not feel that way. I have asked for a member of their management team to call me, but I will be shocked if I get a call.

allans79
9/18/18

They sent scallops from China.... Are you kidding me? Scallops from China? China? I'm sorry, I can't get over this.

chetm19
8/30/18

No Customer Service!

For three weeks in a row the delivery was "lost" by the carrier. I reached out to them every time and "they would look into it" - Yesterday's box was on the truck and out for delivery and it was "lost" - sounds like someone is enjoying the food and when I called yet again for the third time all I got was "I'm so sorry that happened to you again." Unbelievable!!

christiner154
6/25/18

I was very disappointed with the quality of the plated food. We had almost one item that was bad with each meal. Moldy sweet potatoes, moldy bread, slimy/old spinach, salads and herbs. They offered small credits but it didnt help because I cancelled service after a month of weekly service. One of our boxes was crushed upon delivery too. Ill include some pictures below. We previously used Hello Fresh and will be going back to them. The only reason we switch to Plated was because my mother wanted us to try it. I would not suggest Plated to anyone.

williamt224
5/6/18

Plated offers gift cards but does not divulge that the recipient must join their service in order to use the card.
This Christmas we gave gift cards to friends and family completely unaware that they would have to give out their credit info. That was offensive to many and embarrassing to us.

shawnah12
5/4/18

I have tried Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Marley Spoon, Sun Basket, Dinnerly, and Green Chef and ALL of them, even Marley Spoon and Dinnerly, who delivered spoiled food two days after the reported delivery date, managed to find my house. Every single service besides Plated. Plated has miss-delivered my boxes twice. Yup, only twice. The problem is...I've only ordered from them twice. So, they are sitting at a 100% failure rate. I have spent countless hours on the phone with customer service who offers up lots of "oh no's" and "oh wow, I'm so sorry's" and "well that's strange, we've never had that happen before's" well, you have had that happen before... I called last week too, remember?? I am so beyond frustrated with this company. How is it failing so badly at something so basic that event the crappy companies are getting right? Maybe use a reputable delivery service like the rest of them do instead of GSO which I've decided stands for "Gosh-Sh*t-Oops we messed up another delivery".

Tip for consumers: Just don't do it. Save yourself the time, money, and frustration. They wont deliver on their promises, literally...and it's just not worth it. If you have a problem they wont refund you, instead they'll offer a credit. A credit for a terrible non existent service is like having them spit in your face.

suzm2
4/27/18

Extreme caution is advised when using Plated. We were given a gift certificate for an undetermined amount of deliveries. When gift amount was completed, we were not contacted. Plated continued to deliver, not divulging that gift amount had been used. This resulted in charges close to $300 on our credit card unbeknownst to us. On trying to cancel Plated - deliveries continued - tried to return $75 of food - it was refused and now sits rotting at the UPS shop at a cost to us of $35. To stop deliveries we had to cancel credit card. Plated did not need our credit card, but insisted on having it on file to activate gift. The practice smacks of fraud. We suspect its a common scam used to deceive unsuspecting seniors, as they would, like us, be the primary gift recipients.

amyl261
4/17/18

I loved this service for a long time, but eventually just got bored of it. Tasty meals while it lasted though!

tonib45
4/16/18

My first box from plated was 4 meals-2 persons. When the box hadn't arrived by about dinner time, I called, and they could not even track it, and advised me to go to the store for dinner supplies for that night. First meal was barely edible, due to way too much lemon juice included in the recipe. (About 1 1/2 lemons in each serving.) The second meal was very good, BUT they sent peanuts to use in the Pine Nut Encrusted Salmon, resulting in a 30 mile round trip to shop for Pine Nuts at the nearest store where they were available. Phone calls were made, and refunds, and credits were given, but the "credits could not be applied until the next box, even as they charging for the delivery. I'm still waiting for the refunds...I'll get back to you on that. There are some good meal kit services out there, but Plated is not one of them.

leel116
2/27/18

Plated is ideal for people who love food, and they customize all of your meals to perfection: desserts, seafood, meat and veggie meals.
What I love most about Plated is the variety of food options on offer. This Meal Kits services company offers an incredible 20 dishes every week. These menus are designed for newbies and experienced pros alike. Some of the menu items can take a while to prepare, from 20 minutes up to an hour so bear that in mind.

For more meal kit reviews, visit https://www.themealkitreview.com

staceyh23
2/17/18

The first recipe from my first box was AWFUL. I was so disappointed. Lots of money for low-quality ingredients. The photos on their website are pretty and appetizing, but don't fall for it. You can do so much better on your own. I asked for a refund and was refused. Cancelled my subscription before they could take more of my money and send more of this crappy food.

toddr43
1/24/18

I wanted to get something different for my parents that live out of town. After researching three different companies, I decided to go with Plated.

Here is a timeline of events:
1) Just before Christmas 2017, I placed an order for a gift card for two meals each for two people. When I was placing the order through the website, I received a message stating that the recipient would receive an email immediately when I completed the order. The email wasn't delivered.

2) I had to call after Christmas to have the email (gift card) sent. A cheerful and polite person answered and took care of the situation.

3) When my parents went to select the meals they wanted to try, they were required to provide a credit card number even though this was just a gift (to try out the service).

4) I ended up placing the order since I had to set up an account just to purchase the gift card. My parents made their selections and sent me an email on a Saturday.

5) The very next day, Sunday, I tried to place their order but all of the menu options had changed.

6) I called Plated to find out what was going on. I was on the phone with a customer serve person for almost 35 minutes explaining that they change the menus at midnight on Saturday, which is not very clearly communicated on the website.

7) Then I had to contact my parents to have them make all new selections.

8) When I went to place the order again, an item was sold out, which required me to contact my parents again to make another selection. Keep in mind, they shouldn't have to be bothered like this just to use a gift card.

9) I called customer service again, to share my frustration with the whole experience. I was on the call for over 53 minutes. During the conversation, I was asked if I would like my account to be canceled once the food was delivered so that I would not continue to be charged! Why would I continue be charged for meals that I am not ordering? I only purchased a gift card.

10) Finally, an acceptable solution. I was given an additional credit which allowed for one additional meal for each of my parents plus a desert. This was a nice gesture and good customer service.

11) On the delivery day for the meals, the roads were icy and the food was not delivered. I received an email (not a phone call) that a full credit would be applied to my account and the food can only be guaranteed fresh until midnight of the delivery day so the delivery driver was instructed to discard the delivery.

12) I called once again. This time it was to request a full credit back to my credit card. Unfortunately, my parents never received their Christmas gift, and will never have the chance to try any meals from Plated.

The whole experience, as you can tell from the timeline, was just not a good one. Hopefully, Plated will review the phone conversations and read customer reviews to learn how they can improve their customer service and customer experience. As for the actual food itself, I am unable to provide any review.

Maybe others will have better experiences.

Tip for consumers: I would like to think Plated has fun-to-prepare and good-tasting meals. Everybody has different experiences in every situation in life. Although Plated did make some effort to verbally clarify as well as correct my situation, overall it was a very disappointing purchase.

maryc387
12/27/17

I agree with the many complaints regarding the scam requiring credit card information in order to redeem a gift card.
I am also concerned with the many complaints regarding spoiled food being delivered.

It is amazing to me that the Plated company does not address these complaints on these review forums.

In these days of intense competition in the food service arena and Amazon's ability to have amazing delivery and customer service skills, one wonders how a company like Plated will survive!

Do NOT recommend to use Plated Gift Cards or food service.

docs3
12/26/17

My well intentioned children purchased a subscription to this SCAM service as a GIFT. Before I could access my GIFT, I had to provide MY credit card info to obtain items already PAID for by my children. The SNARKY attitude of representatives conveys a "We got your Money, So TOUGH" suck it up OR sue us" attitude...Guess what? I'm going to SPEND the money and go after these CREEPS!!!!

sandym121
11/21/17

I received my order at 8:45 pm last night. We live in FL, the ice was melted and food luke warm. I am afraid to eat the chicken and received 2 chicken meals! Contact their "chat" and they were too busy to deal with the issue. Contacted them via email, no response.

alexp9
10/23/17

Judging by other reviews, I think the freshness of food probably depends on where you live and how close you are to their distribution centers. For me, everything has been good to great in terms of freshness. I've tried almost all of the same type of service (Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Sun Basket, Marley Spoon, Home Chef) and Plated is still the one that I think has the best recipes. When I say best recipes, it's in terms of a) how good the final result tastes, b) whether the ingredients/process is easily reproducible and c) how well the recipe is actually written in terms of time management/clarity. One giant caveat: Plated doesn't publish their recipes/you can't retrieve archived meals or the other meals in your delivery you didn't purchase.
I'd say 90% of the time, the meals turn out great. There was one or two that I questioned their choice (large pieces of eggplant in lo mein, not what I'd choose but hey) but overall, just fantastic. The instructions are also always very easy to follow, and any highlights are printed separately for you to keep note of. I've also cooked a dish or two I've loved again and they were also great. It's slightly pricier than some of the other choices, but I think it's worth it.

Note: this is a subscription service like any other type (handbags, shoes, etc). You will be charged recurring weeks unless you deactivate your account or skip a meal. It's sometimes difficult to remember, but I always skip all the meals for the upcoming month or so to be safe and then go back to unskip once I'm not as busy. I'm pretty sure this is outlined in the sign-up somewhere, so it's not a surprise.

joannu
10/16/17

Mold on Empenada Dough; No dates on meat; avocados are rock hard while the spinach from the same meal is wilting... the quality of food is not worth the price they charge. The only reason I put 2 stars is the ability to choose 3 servings, as apposed to their competitors 2 or 4.

jm403
9/10/17

Plated, like other meal kit plans, require you to provide a credit card number before you can look at the meal plans. I never chose or authorized meals to be sent to me & when I received the email stating I was receiving meals, I called customer service & they told me I received emails confirming my order & the meals that were chosen by me. No time did I receive an email from them until the one that stated I was receiving the meals & there was no way I could cancel or get a refund! I'm getting meals I don't even like & being charged for it! Stay away from these meal kit plans if they require credit card information before you even begin!

jacobc44
8/7/17

The food was spoiled by the time it reached my apartment. I would highly recommend not ordering here!

jenniferf111
8/4/17

I must have ordered plated 20 times and made 60 meals. I wanted so bad to like it because I loved the variety of recipes and they were pretty tasty and easy to follow. The quality of the food however week after week was not acceptable. I would get a $12 credit whenever I would report moldy, or expired food. I even had garlic that was growing mold once. My final straw was I had a meal that was completely inedible. The romaine lettuce was brown and moldy and when I opened the chicken my son could smell the stench from the other end of the room. I explained that $12 credits just aren't cutting it, I want to feel like I have consistent meals. What did I get.. a $12 credit and heard nothing about my complaint on the chicken. I'm done. There are other companies, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh etc. that have good food and you don't have to be scared of it.

81 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Plated staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Plated