Review of Nextdoor

Tel: +1-415-488-5949
feedback@nextdoor.com

lisaw483
8/20/18

I've been reported consistently by the same Lead (who is also posting and bragging about all of the guns he owns on his own posts). I haventhe total support of my community when occasionally posting about found animals, pets in local shelters, anything helping our community animals and they are constantly reported by one particular Lead who appears to have control even over Nextdoor Support. Yet they allow the same people to post over and over again about useless things and are allowed to stay on and post. It's not run by biased people but control freaks !! Horrible site!

beverlyb153
8/18/18

Mighty Max Handyman, owned and operated by Moises Colunga, is top notch!!! I can not say enough about how smart and good and reliable he is. He took on a tough job that other pros didn't want to do at my home in La Jolla, Ca. He solved the problem and everything is just perfect!

sidw14
8/18/18

In our community, nextdoor does get used for the purpose it is Intended, like to get recommendations when you need a plumber. It also gets used to bring attention to what city hall is up to and express concerns. Sometimes some of us get a bit overly emotional (especially against local politicians) but I have not seen much in the way of personal attacks. We even have community get togethers every once in a while to ut a face to a name. I do think it is very important in a group like this that people use their real names, so we do not hide behind anonimity.

charlier72
8/15/18

Worse site ever. When they get sued because they do not respect a persons privacy they might shut down. This site has caused many feuds between neighbors. There needs to be boundaries and a certain amount of anonimity when sharing info online between members of a small community. Stay away from this site.

nevins1
8/13/18

A lot time wasted. Too much bullying. Recommend against it. No support from the app makers and very little participation by neighbors with 200 yards of your home generally. Not real neighbors when they live 3 miles away.

sarahb558
8/13/18

I received dreadful harrasment and trolling by a couple of members. I reported 4 times to nextdoor and nothing was done. I am now having to go to the police. Avoid at all costs as they allow bullying to take place and users can find out where you live.

edithn2
8/11/18

I was on Nextdoor for a few months and all the neighbors were bullying me about my dogs. Come to find out one of the dogs wasn't even mine and someone reported me for I don't even know what and I ended up banned from the site. I never said anything derogatory or defamatory against anyone in the neighborhood but yet I was the one who ended up banned, which is fine with me because all it is is a base for a bunch of immature adults to whine about everything. You're better off on Facebook. stay away from Nextdoor.

ritar60
8/11/18

Initially, I found Nextdoor to be a wonderful site where I could go and find out what's going on in my neighborhood. However, recently, when I clicked on a post "car burglarized" it immediately took me to a bunch of advertisements and I could not get back to the post I was trying to read. Completely frustrating. I'm sad to say I don't have the patience for this site and will most likely delete the app.

cherylb300
8/9/18

Mostly consists of people attacking one another or putting each other down. There's a few that live on the site making pointless comments on everyone's post thinking they are comedians and don't realize everyone's blocked them. Not helpful. Sounded like a good concept but not the neighborhood concept I was hoping for in terms of awareness and safety in your area.

lzm
8/8/18

I opened an account for a few months and I regret the fact that the people on that page put ads for any $#*!, that nobody cares about, that is for gossip and meticulous people who want to be involved in everything. I do not have time for those $#*!s I work all 6 days a week. >>>. 0 STARS <<<< DELETTING ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW...TRASH
****if you are meticulous, gossip, and with nothing to do is for you.***

beccas25
8/7/18

Unfortunately but not surprisingly, nextdoor is a reflection of the racist, bigoted society we live in. A small group of individuals is allowed to loosely apply the rules in order to elevate speech they like, and deactivate the accounts of people who speak out against racism, anti semitism, etc. It's truly depressing that the company allows this broken system to continue.

robn54
8/7/18

I had a genuine advert on next-door for handyman services and was messed about by somebody who wanted me to do a job for them.I got all the necessary parts out of my own money then the next morning one hour before I was due to do the job they text me and told me they couldn't have me do it that day and I would have to do it another time maybe one evening or Saturday.I have lost a full day of earnings because of this so when they got in touch with me I told Yvonne Church I didn't want to do the job anymore so they reported me and had my post removed from next-door and since I have had some messages and phone calls from numbers I do not know.

waynek95
8/5/18

Nextdoor is fraught with problems. We had one woman using it in her 80s who, due to eyesight, typed in all caps. Virtually no one on Nextdoor would accept her handicap and accused her of shouting. She didn't understand browser or display zoom to use lower case. Despite that she was active for awhile and contributed. Her contributions were worthwhile and insightful. Eventually she was stalked online by someone in the neighborhood who took the time, at 2 AM, to sequentially flag all of her posts. It was very upsetting and stressful for her. Nextdoor offered zero support in identifying the stalker and deactivating their account. All of this information was clearly in their log files. This was escalated all the way to the CEO who did nothing. The woman dropped off Nextdoor. About 6 months later, after all the damage was done, Nextdoor identified the perp who had already moved out of the neighborhood.

Nextdoor is also increasingly political, and following a national trend of social media, highly left-leaning. If you're a member of Antifa you'll fit right in. I've seen some very hostile posts by know-it-all bullies attacking simple benign suggestions or comments. I've also begun to see a pattern of progressive social justice warriors now using Nextdoor as a platform. Moderation is non-existent. The email notifications you will receive - bombarded with is more descriptive - will contain the rants, ravings and unwanted opinion of everyone unemployed, mentally-ill or home-bound and bored person in your neighborhood.

My advice to everyone is to consider Nextdoor just as toxic as Facebook, Twitter and most television. Very little has been accomplished in improving our neighborhood using Nextdoor. Get a dog instead.

Tip for consumers: See this Politico article regarding Astroturf "messaging" on Nextdoor: https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2017/04/the-anti-facebook-nextdoor-aims-for-neighbor-to-neighbor-approach-in-politics-111133

"Still, California Democratic consultant Katie Merrill says that Nextdoor's neighbor-to-neighbor approach may represent the next generation of messaging in political circles as “a rich, persuasive environment for advocacy” that is unique because it’s “ground-up.”

michelel29
8/4/18

Nextdoor has no training procedures in place for moderators. Moderators need to identify who they are, the post they have an issue with, and what they need with the very first message. When someone says you're making me nervous, you're scaring me, perhaps that's the clue to act like a bit professional. When someone says, let's talk with the police, I feel scared then they should but not keep demanding explanations. They have your address too. Poor website with no training or procedures in place to have someone review a moderator. Do not use, do not put yourself and family at risk.

Tip for consumers: Do not use, your address is listed. You cannot be on without it.

frustratedn
8/3/18

Some ppl on here reported burglaries after being forced to list all personal info on the site. It's insane to think they force you to put yourself at risk and ban you if you have a safety issue.

sharonp226
8/3/18

I was recently kicked off of Nextdoor for not agreeing with their political views! I did not break any rules and the LEAD for the Lomita Neighborhood "Catrina Gruver" had me banned for disagreeing with her.

mariet100
8/1/18

I was kicked by a woman and the lead for not supporting their political views. All i posted was a helpful idea about carpooling to a nearby rally for the children to avoid traffic and parking in 100 degree weather. I was previously using my mothers name because there was a man bothering me and i felt threatened by him. There is zero safety on this site and the leads are friends of the troublemakers so there is no resolutions.

sommerf1
8/1/18

I was suggested to try out this website but I can't even do that. I tried looking for my neighborhood but it asked me to sign up and when I put in my address it said the neighborhood didn't exist and that I needed to select it on the map. So it takes me to the map and the neighborhood I live in is already a selected neighborhood. Whoever designed how to use this website does not know what they are doing and they should hire someone to redo the entire website and app.

michellef234
8/1/18

Nextdoor is a place for bored community members to start arguments over things. I recently posted about a creep that was approaching my daughter at the beach and it started a huge uproar.

The only reason I gave it a 2 is because it's a good place to sell things.

ridgways
7/31/18

So I joined a little over a month ago and I was forced to put my address and name on the website and within 48 hrs my cars and home were vandalized and broken into. This company is like the Titanic and after making a complaint to their online website for they don't have a telephone customer service representatives. I received no response. This company is going to be a penny stock and compromises people's safety and families privacy. I am going to the Media about this for I have not heard back from their help department to solve the issue. They could be seeking a class action lawsuit for they sell your information to third party companies. Do not join this website the people seem nice yet they said that about Ted Bundy.

saras307
7/30/18

If the Salem Witch Hunts took place now...it would take place on NextDoor. People I didn't even know would insult & publicly shame me if I gave my opinion & they didn't agree with it. And when I defended myself, they would attack me further. Then trolls would post total nonsense directed at me. I felt like a target of a lynch mob. I had plenty of support from people reading my posts & replies, but still got suspended with no warning or explanation or option to defend myself. What's truly eye-opening is NextDoor suspended me & not the bullies who trolled me!! Management & neighborhood monitors are obviously biased and/or clueless, definitely unfair. Glad to be off of it though... it could've been potentially dangerous if any of those miserable neighbors dared to go from cyberbullying to vandalism or worse.

reginaf34
7/29/18

Not to rehash all the drama but we had a 17 year old chronically posting she needed a job. Numerous neighbors gave her leads and advise. The ingrate never even thanked anyone. She continued to bombard the site and it all started when I ( a pediatrician & mother of 2) told her that she had been given extensive leads and advise but did not seem very motivated. A few others had similar comments to her. Next thing I know I am blocked . We tried to get the app on my husbands email then my daughters and found out that basically our household was banned.This was many months ago. We have moved 30-40 miles away and were inv to join because our HOA uses it. I found out I am temporarily blocked due to a 17 year old and a few women saying I was a cyber bully. My husband and I are both doctors and Im a pediatrician for goodness sake but Im still banned. Didnt realize the people running Nextdoor were dictators. I think eventually they will be sued and I understand why.

cindym299
7/28/18

Hands down THE nastiest place for neighbors to gossip, create diversity, threaten each other, and bully people. This entire concept needs to be shut down. Maybe a class action lawsuit against Nextdoor.com needs to take place and the leads sued. Any thoughts on this idea? Has it been done??

davidp849
7/27/18

I had work done by Brian .he was best Plummer I have ever had work for me and 55 and don't do pluming work , He was very professional did a great job. and was very very reasonable , I will be using this co, rest of my life!

kens290
7/27/18

I live in no. west las vegas, @ mountain shadows. I was having trouble with a pool pump motor I had rebuilt and couldn't get it to start. another neighbor told me about this website and looked up kenny baker, an electrician in my neighbor came over a couple hours later and tested all electrical power to the new pump. everthing checked out. now back to rebuilder. thanks, REVEREND KENNETH BAKER!

The reason, I think next-door can suck becuase of the absolute authority of trolls to censor. The leads can be.drunk with power to control community conversations by banning certain speech. It my neighborhood it has been taken over by loser politicians that are trying to regain power. The arbitrary authority plays into the worst impulses of human nature to control.others. next-door could address this with a like and dislike buttons instead of anonmyous flags which is used by angry people who object to certain speech. It can be very uncivil.

By Stephen N.

Depending on whether it is the complainer or it is the offending Lead who is Gordon Strouse's favored winner, Nextdoor will either scold the complainer for violating the "always assume best intentions" rule or they will scold the Lead for "removing a message just because you don't like it". Nextdoor does not follow their own rules, which by the way, are so disorganized that they're word salad. Nextdoor has over 50k neighborhoods, and yet Gordon himself always intercepts and answers my emails to help@nextdoor.com. Last year when I was still Lead, Gordon also suspended my account, and a friends, and ORDERED us to demonstrate hacking the website. We refused, so he crippled our accounts and ordered us to get permission to do anything. Nextdoor then handed our group directly to the HOA which we existed to be an alternative! tinyurl com/seized-by-hoa

By Kevin L.

Because they can. There is no oversight of the "Leads" which means they can do whatever they want regardless of the rules. That's why I rated nextdoor a one and deactivated my account with them.

By Allisa P.

It's tough fighting a lead on a power trip. And Nextdoor corporate doesn't seem to be interested about customer satisfaction. At the time I was on Nextdoor, many participants recommended different topic categories such as politics ... never happened. Either the lead didn't know how to create another category or simply didn't care and preferred to be the "executioner." I think it was the latter.

By BILL R.

Several other reviewers on this site have had the same thing happen to them. We have been fully banned from nextdoor (beyond just "suspension"), but they keep our profiles, and sometimes our names still appear in the neighbor registry. They refuse to remove us fully, I suppose, in an attempt to misrepresent our endorsement and participation there. It's clearly unethical, but their TOS states that they can do this, as any nd apologist will point out.

By Chad V.

I think there is a lot of potential for Nextdoor; but, presently I think the 1 1/2 star rating is really stretching it. The moderators control everything. The Customer service always take up for them, no matter what they are doing Bascially, the site is run by a lot of people who are not qualified to do that kind of work, abuse the personal information that everyone is forced to give to them, they don't know the guidelines they are to go by and they abuse like crazy. If htey don't like you, they delete all of your post. They can lie and even send you nasty threats which happened in my case, and no one can do anything about it. Many topics start off helpful and often turn into a lot of people arguing and a lot of bad feelings amonng member. Member Pricacy is BAD. Make sure to read the policy and don't post anything personal that you do not have to. They need professionals who know their job and have good diplomatic skills. Many of their moderators seem to love deisplaying power over others and treating them in a very demeaning manner. My moderator treated me so trashy that it made me sick. The private filth she sent to me was never controlled by any overseers, so I left. From what I have read it is a big ego trip for a lot of uncouth moderators who make people unfortable since they know our home addresses. I got so it made me feel very degraded and unsafe.

By Wanda J.

Facebook. You can make it a private group if you chose. It's working so much better and no vitriol. Everyone in the group agrees when ever there is solicitation the post is deleted.

By Frank C.

Nextdoor.com staff don't know head from their tail -- they are smart enough to play dumb and their "we are sweet" campaign is just hype to promote their site.

By George S.

OPM (Other People's Money) $106 million in fact. No one has proved they are data-mining but a new member signing up is asked for interests and other information that gives ample justification for concern. The simple fact they have earned an "F" rating by their own San Francisco Better Business Bureau and have refuted nothing there or here, says a lot.

By David J.

Providers? Web Beacon? Sounding like a hacked account or robot generated internet junk.

By JP V.
Questions? Get answers from the Nextdoor staff and other customers.

12 Photos for Nextdoor