Review of Nextdoor

Tel: +1-415-488-5949
feedback@nextdoor.com

michaels2132
3/18/19

And it happened on someone else's thread about a wanting to raise chickens and had my name in the response in a message loaded with exclamation points saying something akin to "learn to follow the rules or MOVE OUT!". I had absolutely never broken any such rules and then proceeded to call me "special" when I asked her to stop her defamatory complaining.

For defending myself against such defamation, I was accused of "ranting", which ND defines as:
"and usually includes a combination of the following: ALL CAPS, excessive
punctuation, provocative language, judgmental accusations, or
repetitive explanations."
I had used absolute no caps or excessive punctuation who would consider, say, "please move on", one of the quotes they labelled from me as "ranting", which I had used to mean "please stop attacking me and get back on the thread topic", provocative language or a judgemental accusation?

And the person who launched the initial attack? According to my partner, who doesn't have a suspended account, she is still there, not suspended, with no repercussions.

Lesson learned, next time I won't respond to defamation, I'll just report.

But now I can't even report my side of the story or get quotes from her defamation of myself because my account is suspended.

Now my ability to get anything accomplished on the conversation on lobbying for the new residential chicken law or farming eggs for my community, between likely neighborhood loss of trust from the false accusation and the suspension knocking me off the thread, has been greatly diminished.

For anyone who reads this, do you think Nextdoor's behavior in favoring my attacker's behavior over mine seems more in direct violation of their own definition of their definition of personal attacks than mine of saying "please move on" is of ranting?

Or do you believe the damage I've done to the community by saying such
things outweighs the community benefits of myself as a solar farm owner and vegetable farmer also providing fresh eggs, just as the original poster had suggested?

Not quite sure how Nextdoor's attitude on me aligns with their mission to benefit communities. I feel I was essentially slammed for attempting to help and, at worst, pushing aside someone demanding I not be allowed to help.

marys1148
3/17/19

Love getting to know neighbors I had'nt met yet! Also local items for sale, lost and found pets, what's going on in town. I know not all places are the same but so far I've had no issues!!!

anibalc10
3/16/19

Next door is a reflection of the racist, bigoted society we live in. A small group of individuals is allowed to loosely apply the rules in order to elevate speech they like, and deactivate the accounts of people who speak out against racism. This comment are 100% correct!

salf18
Sal F.
3/9/19

Have enjoyed meeting my neighbors and the good feeling that comes from a close-knit community. I've found lots of good stuff for my home in Nextdoor's classified section and I recently joined a book club through my neighbor down the street.

charless628
3/6/19

This is written from the perspective of a Lead at ND - a former Lead. I was asked to be a Lead for ND last December 12th and I accepted. I'd been on the job for two and a half-months when I was unduluy attacked and cyber-bulied for having mentioned in a comment on a post I didn't create that Agenda 21 was responsible for bike installations suddenly appearing in San Francisco in many different neighborhoods, unasked for and unannounced. Commenters outside my neighborhood attacked me for "conspiracy theory," for being a "racist," for being stupid and ruining NextDoor.com for my single comment. Eight people from different neighborhoods joined in on repeated attacks.

My role as Lead allowed me to delete those comments that went against community guidelines but NextDoor would not allow me to report the individuals responsible for going against the community guidellines because these members were outside my neighborhood, thus giiving ND members outside my neighborhood the license to "bomb" me over and over again, trying to incite conflict, create public shaming and harassment -- with no protecttion offered by ND on this.

In fact, in order to obtain assistance from a specialist at ND, you have to email a specialist who takes up to 48 hours to respond. Based on my experience, the advice these specialists offer amounts to nil. One specialist named Chester actually wrote that all you can do as a Lead is to remind people of the guidelines, but "they usually resent you for reminding them." That's it? No help? Right -- no help!

I deleted my account yesterday when I discovered ND uses Leads as slaves to assist them with the management of the platform, offering, of course, no pay, but no protection as well. Roman slaves had no protection. Early Colonial Period slaves also had no protection. Nothing has changed in the age of technology concerning NextDoor.com.

As for being a regular member and commenter, unless you want to chat mindlessly about your love of dogs and cats, brag about your endless volunteerism for the community, or want to behave like a common thug and attack and bully for your own pleasure, there's very little for the normal human being at NextDoor.com. It should shut itself down, but it's too stupid to know this.

barbf51
3/6/19

If I could rate this a ZERO I would. Their lack of responsive customer "support" is appalling. It's taken 2 weeks for me to TRY to cancel my sponsorship, and I was still charged for March. Their youtube video on how to cancel is inaccurate and suggests a cancellation dropdown button which does not exist (I have screen shot to prove this). I am disputing their charges with my bank. Clearly they do not want any cancellations, as evidenced by either lack of responses to my many pleas for help, or their delayed or rare email replies frequently referring back to a very old situation (instead of my current case) and totally ignoring the giant CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL request I have submitted numerous times. I realize that consumers and neighbors enjoy the app and the connectivity it provides; however, this appears to be at the expense of those businesses who pay big bucks to be sponsors. My ad rarely appeared, and when it did, I quickly clicked on the "want more info" button, and it went to another agent, not me!!!! What's the point then, other than to rake in money from a slew of sponsors. Even Amazon has a phone number where you can talk with a human; only took me 5 seconds to cancel Amazon Music. With nextdoor, the battle continues.

alanv33
3/2/19

I am moving to new area next week and wanted to get access to Next Door in the new area to prep new house. They said no. Means all they are good for is listening to complaints of gun fire (21 gun salute) from the National memorial cemetery across the street, and neighbors complaining that some one broke into there garage (door left open)

Totally worthless when I have those documents next Friday I will be
moving in Saturday. Unfortunately now my three dogs will be exposed to possible
death or injury from the wild animals. Since we cannot get a local fence professional
lined up. My wife will be unable to charge her car as we will not know which
electricians service the area. You obviously do not care about those which you supposedly serve Just your advertising dollars. I would have thought final walk thru and loan origination paper work would be sufficient, as we cannot afford thousands on some scam. And I cannot even get into MY OWN DAM NEIGHBORHOOD to donate or sell some unneeded furniture as you have locked me out of that. I will make sure I do not use Ring or any of your other advertisers and advise others to avoid them as well. I will cancel Ring account Friday March 1st and leave it for the next owner and purchase a Kuna. For the new house.

Thanks for nothing Jennifer

dorothyr57
2/21/19

It's a way for companies to get your personal information so they can try to sell you their goods/services. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS TRAP!

stepheng271
2/18/19

To get me to sign up they gave three examples of what my neighbors are talking about, but they were things that could not really be in this neighborhood.

laural186
2/18/19

Overall I like the website, the only reason I give 4 stars is commercials in the feed... I suppose it's the price we pay for free service.

myn26
2/17/19

I received mail from nextdoor which is very misleading. They try to make it look like a local neighborhood network that you are joining, even giving a fake recomendation by "neighbors name" on "street in your neighborhood" to try to get you to signup. I almost did. So glad i didn't. They are a large company ala facebook looking for gullible people to signup and collect information off of for use by their advertisers. Are they selling your information, now or in the future? Who knows. Once you signup, you may be able to "deactivate" your account, but they still have everything you ever put on their website. DON'T BE FOOLED.

faithc26
2/17/19

Since I couldn't do zero I gave Nextdoor a one because they do not care to help anyone but their leads. I followed all the guide lines and she still remove my post. Our lead in Oakbrook didn't want homeowners to know that board members don't pay dues. I believe that's why it was removed my post. The rest of it was highlightes from our annual meeting.

ryb3
2/15/19

I don't understand all the negative reviews and all the terrible things happening to people. It's not the nextdoor I know, use everyday, and have for around 5 years. My experience has been so good- connecting, helping each other, sharing valuable info, looking out for lost pets and getting back home, help in finding lost items, recommendations... just everything. I know of 2 people being deleted and it was Bc they were teens posing as elderly and posting funny but mock-harassing posts. Probably set up a grandparents new phone and saw a chance to have some fun and went with it. (I just hope it didn't cause any real people any problems if they were using real names)
Maybe it just depends on your area and the people in charge idk. I know sooo many people around here that just love ND. Just wanted to give my .02 and inform that it's not always like what I'm seeing in these reviews. I'm in Dallas and in my area it's top notch and if I could only keep a handful of apps it's definitwly one. And I've recommended it to so many people including other states- I hope they didn't have any bad experiences and not let me know!

jacki18
2/8/19

There's some information that crops up on Nextdoor occasionally that makes it kinda interesting. None of it is earthshaking. Little of it is of much real value.
Their new 2-step verification login for a site that has little or no actual value is absurd. It's as if they want you to quit. Well, I just did.

helenm266
2/8/19

A lot of letters sent to the local community with my name on, without my consent.
Very worrying and quite damaging

chuckg52
2/5/19

I have been trying for months to get a refund for advertising services paid for in advanced but never delivered. My e-mails are going unanswered and you can not call to talk to someone. It appears to be a scam posing as a Neighborhood discussion site!

lindag677
2/4/19

Freedom of speech is an antiquated concept on NEXTDOOR. Just like in Soviet Russia, Nazi Germany, and Red China, NEXTDOOR encourages snitching and reporting your neighbor for any reason. This app is clearly a scam for advertising dollars and nothing more. You can be suspended for any reason. I was suspended for telling people about my homecooked dog food. Someone took great offence. Finally, I got back on after grovelling about how terrible a person I am and how it wont happen again. Later that day, I was reading about a cat that needed a home and a woman with two dogs said she would take the cat. To reward her kindness, I offered to make a large batch of my dog food for her pooches....Someone thought that was terrible and reported me and I was taken off again. I am obviously being stalked (and I know who it is...they also took down my face book with 5000 friends). We live in a very negative world and NEXTDOOR is atrocious, encouraging pettines...plus they are harvesting all your information .

ericd258
2/3/19

I had this app for a year and got kicked off multiple times without ever swearing or threatening anybody. I recently got kicked off for 30 days because I created a pole asking if the moderators were too strict or not. Somebody named Holly with a power trip told me that I should spend the next 30 days reviewing their policy and guidelines. She might need therapy

curtisc70
2/2/19

My review is not any different than all the other 1 star reviews. There you have it. Apparently this site makes you write 100 characters in order to post this review.

gabriellas20
2/2/19

t I received an invitation. I signed up, they asked a lot of information about me and my house but after i gave them now i cant use the webs

wardj5
2/1/19

NEXTDOOR's staff facilitates Internet censorship by suspending posts of those who are publicly criticized by the Community's directors. The directors have the use of their meetings, minutes, Community newspaper and website to provide their demonstrably inaccurate allegations of egregious mischaracterizations. Without considering the relevant facts, NEXTDOOR removes posts and suspends users who attempt to refute the polarizing revenge politics.

rayg133
1/30/19

VERY UPSET WITH NEXTDOOR CANNOT OPEN ANYTHING ON THE SITE WHEN i TRY ALL i GET IS " CAN'T REACH THIS SITE. HAVE EMAILED NEXTDOR GUESS WHAT NO RESPONSE. WORST PART IS I CANNOT UNSUBSCRIBE WICH IS AGAINST THE LAW. ALL AUSTRALIAN SITE YOU MUST BE ABLE TO UNSUBSRIBE. FED UP RAY REGENTVILLE NSW

rf92
1/29/19

I hate them. I stopped using them a few years ago but since I started a business networking group in my new neighborhood I decided to try again. This is the second time that they ignored my requests for help and told me that I was wrong. They are ignorant idiots. They were displaying me at the right address years ago - but I don't live there anymore --- but yes I still own it. That address is not in the neighborhood that they made me belong to when I had that address. Now that I have moved, and my business networking event is in my new neighborhood these idiots have told me that they are right and that I am wrong. They are too incompetent to realize that I have no reason to lie. Right address, wrong neighborhood before, and now they can't peg my address because it's new construction so they are keeping me to my old address where I don't live, with the a neighborhood that I never lived in. I hope this app goes away fast. Their customer service is horrible. I'm actually angry.

geoffr18
1/24/19

If you subscribe they will then send letters to neighbours purporting to come from you with your name and address on the envelopes as sender. A clear breach of data protection laws and possible identity fraud. It is then impossible to get them to reply or unsubscribe. They are clearly harvesting personal details for dubious purposes. Stay well clear!

heatherr203
1/22/19

Nextdoor is extremely racist, and does nothing to penalize abusive leads. I reported one of our leads who is drunk on her Nextdoor power. She strictly enforces the Nextdoor Guidelines against people who disagree with her, but does not enforce guidelines such as: racial profiling, doxxing, calling people names, posting about inflammatory state or national politics. In fact, she regularly posts about California state politics (anti prop 47) but her posts never get removed. She posted a mixture of private and inaccurate information about a neighbor on the comments of a newspaper article. When I called her out for bullying myself and other neighbors she reported MY POST (which did not call her any names, was respectful and asked her to stop with the ad hominems). Can you guess whose post was removed? Nevermind the multiple posts earlier of her attacking me. When my husband called her out for encouraging doxxing and for her racist posts in private meesages, she attacked him and myself. Nextdoor empowers racist bullies.

The reason, I think next-door can suck becuase of the absolute authority of trolls to censor. The leads can be.drunk with power to control community conversations by banning certain speech. It my neighborhood it has been taken over by loser politicians that are trying to regain power. The arbitrary authority plays into the worst impulses of human nature to control.others. next-door could address this with a like and dislike buttons instead of anonmyous flags which is used by angry people who object to certain speech. It can be very uncivil.

By Stephen N.

Depending on whether it is the complainer or it is the offending Lead who is Gordon Strouse's favored winner, Nextdoor will either scold the complainer for violating the "always assume best intentions" rule or they will scold the Lead for "removing a message just because you don't like it". Nextdoor does not follow their own rules, which by the way, are so disorganized that they're word salad. Nextdoor has over 50k neighborhoods, and yet Gordon himself always intercepts and answers my emails to help@nextdoor.com. Last year when I was still Lead, Gordon also suspended my account, and a friends, and ORDERED us to demonstrate hacking the website. We refused, so he crippled our accounts and ordered us to get permission to do anything. Nextdoor then handed our group directly to the HOA which we existed to be an alternative! tinyurl com/seized-by-hoa

By Kevin L.

Hi Nancy, I'll try to explain how, as a Lead how I am monitored or controlled. All Leads are controlled by Nextdoor Support and any complaint about a Lead must be sent to them (Use the Help function, go to the bottom of the screen and select email help for the quickest response) With that said, in most Nextdoor Neighborhoods, a single person or small group started the neighborhood and built the membership. There was never an "election or selection process" for appointing new Leads. The first lead selects the next and all Leads are required to maintain the Nextdoor Terms and Conditions. Only in some very limited situations does ND Support ever appoint Leads. Leads may only be removed by Nextdoor Support, upon a violation of policies or like abandonment. So, Your Leads will tend to control the Neighborhood as they feel is best. Not all ND Members agree on "what is best", and it often leads to difficulties, but if the Lead is following ND Policies and Procedures, the best approach is to make sure that YOU understand the intent of Nextdoor Yourself and if You believe the Lead is not correctly enforcing the ND policies, then notify Support as noted above. However, if the policies are being maintained properly but YOU want more latitude in what You want to say, Try the Public or Private Groups function. Create Your Own Group, (public or private) and invite other Members to join You. Talk about what You want, even what Your Lead is doing or not doing, to see if others agree with Your point of view. If You have half of Your Members, in the group saying the Lead is not doing the job as You might like, then contact support and indicate the issues to see if they can assist. Make sure to give Support exact items that were removed, not guesses or just claims. Keep copies of posts You make. I do it like this sometimes. I make a post then do a copy and paste to an email and send it to myself. If my LEGAL post is removed by the Lead, simply copy that post to Nextdoor Support. Nextdoor Support seems to ignore open complaints like (My Lead is removing my posts) without a real example. Every Neighborhood can also set local guidelines as well and may enforce them, as long as they remain within the Nextdoor Policies. In Our Neighborhood, we opened a public group called "All Discussion", where any Member can post topics that do not appear in the Main News Feed and are not monitored as closely for improper or illegal topics. We do not allow any form of Commercial, Religious, Political type posts on the Main News Feed (that is Your "all neighbors" - General). However if Members was to discuss those topics in one of the Groups, that is fine. Our Main News Feed is reserved for the categories (except General) and notifications only. We do not allow "Open Discussion" in the "All Neighbors" General or other Categories. If I did not hit Your exact concerns, please reply with more specifics and I will try to help more. Good Luck Randy

By Randy J.

Because they can. There is no oversight of the "Leads" which means they can do whatever they want regardless of the rules. That's why I rated nextdoor a one and deactivated my account with them.

By Allisa P.

I think there is a lot of potential for Nextdoor; but, presently I think the 1 1/2 star rating is really stretching it. The moderators control everything. The Customer service always take up for them, no matter what they are doing Bascially, the site is run by a lot of people who are not qualified to do that kind of work, abuse the personal information that everyone is forced to give to them, they don't know the guidelines they are to go by and they abuse like crazy. If htey don't like you, they delete all of your post. They can lie and even send you nasty threats which happened in my case, and no one can do anything about it. Many topics start off helpful and often turn into a lot of people arguing and a lot of bad feelings amonng member. Member Pricacy is BAD. Make sure to read the policy and don't post anything personal that you do not have to. They need professionals who know their job and have good diplomatic skills. Many of their moderators seem to love deisplaying power over others and treating them in a very demeaning manner. My moderator treated me so trashy that it made me sick. The private filth she sent to me was never controlled by any overseers, so I left. From what I have read it is a big ego trip for a lot of uncouth moderators who make people unfortable since they know our home addresses. I got so it made me feel very degraded and unsafe.

By Wanda J.

Several other reviewers on this site have had the same thing happen to them. We have been fully banned from nextdoor (beyond just "suspension"), but they keep our profiles, and sometimes our names still appear in the neighbor registry. They refuse to remove us fully, I suppose, in an attempt to misrepresent our endorsement and participation there. It's clearly unethical, but their TOS states that they can do this, as any nd apologist will point out.

By Chad V.

Facebook. You can make it a private group if you chose. It's working so much better and no vitriol. Everyone in the group agrees when ever there is solicitation the post is deleted.

By Frank C.

OPM (Other People's Money) $106 million in fact. No one has proved they are data-mining but a new member signing up is asked for interests and other information that gives ample justification for concern. The simple fact they have earned an "F" rating by their own San Francisco Better Business Bureau and have refuted nothing there or here, says a lot.

By David J.

Michelle S. nailed it. Even worse, my own PRIVATE communications as a long time and current Nextdoor Lead was sent to a disruptive member by Gordon Strause, Nextdoor’s Director of Neighborhood Operations. So much for the bull crap "Privacy" policy. Nextdoor is about one thing and only one thing: recruiting membership for it's flat, unappealing and old-school message board right out of the 1980's at all costs. Well, with millions in OPM (Other People's Money) for advertising a lie that is. "Shysters" is probably too kind a word to describe this San Francisco based crew. 90% of what we do with our officers who cannot join in the area they patrol is done behind the scenes with crime victims and GOOD member who really want to see solutions not dribble or hype. You don't see Nextoor here refuting anything, right?

By David J.

Providers? Web Beacon? Sounding like a hacked account or robot generated internet junk.

By JP V.
Questions? Get answers from the Nextdoor staff and other customers.

Nextdoor?