Review of Nextdoor

Tel: +1-415-488-5949
feedback@nextdoor.com

stephaniek183
6/16/19

Nextdoor is convenient way to communicate with neighbors. I like the ability to select your own neighborhood. Filter out others.

aaronp125
6/16/19

Okay, so if you need a plumber might be an option, but if you're interested in talking about anything difficult, like say trash in public places, or aggressive drivers, forget it. Just a feel good place for another software company to sell your data, and for entrepreneurs to look for their next marketing opportunity.

cathyh169
6/16/19

I love Nextdoor. It's great for neighbor notifications, referrals, posting events & items for sale.

johnl1359
6/16/19

When I went through the sign up process, they wanted permission to access my contact list. Of course I refused. The only way they can pay for their servers, infrastructure, and employees is by either selling ads or by selling user information. My bet is on information.

wandas146
6/15/19

Nextdoor is great for communication in our area. The increase presence of ads is Annoying! I wish there was a way to reward the businesses when they receive positive fair reviews such that they would actively pursue that praise. Users could rely on ratings; businesses receive word of mouth recommends and ND s volume grows.

roannel1
6/15/19

I am very pleased with Nextdoor as it keeps me updated on what's going on in our neighborhoods. I acquired two delightful kittens because of Nextdoor. I hear about events that are coming up. Sometimes the posts are not pleasant (e.g., deaths, burglaries), but keeps us aware and safety conscious.

peterr370
6/15/19

I like being able to know what is happening in my immediate neighborhood. Things get posted that do not make it into the local paper, but are still quite useful to know about.
My one complaint is that the boundaries for each "neighborhood" seem arbitrary. Why not allow members to choose where they belong? Have the boundaries be adjustable based on preference and local usefulness.

thomasm797
6/15/19

For the most part, a great place to share neighborhood information, get helpful hints, and stay in touch with neighbors. You get a grouchy comment every now and then, but for the most part good old fashioned neighborly chat.

hidekos
6/15/19

Mostly, I use Nextdoor to find events of interest in my neighborhood, or to keep on top of crime reports. Occasionally, things get heated, when politics or personal values clash. I wish there were a way to limit angry speech, but I realize people are only human. I don't like getting follow-up notices for every thread I've thanked or commented on; I wish you'd remove that feature.

barbaram631
6/15/19

I'm not sure if you want my overall experience or a specific experience. I am a Lead & my overall experience is good, but
1) I do think that members should be allowed to post services & items they make for sale. I hear a lot of complaints about this not being allowed.
2) When I Report a member & receive a specific Reply from ND requesting more information, it would be helpful if ND would copy & paste my message with the member's name & neighborhood because I do not remember which report it is without that & your case numbers mean nothing to me.

rosannek10
6/15/19

Nextdoor is a great concept. It unifies neighboring communities. I have gotten great references (some not so great) on many workmen, etc. It's good to know what's going on in the neighborhood, sometimes on an hourly basis, when you're at work. Alerts us to suspicious persons in the neighborhood.
Sometimes some people get into little spats and can get rather nasty. I wish there was a way to curb that behavior. Also, I'm not crazy about the new format. I liked the old one better. It was easier to skim through.

allisonn28
6/15/19

I read next door nearly every day. I have taken classes from it. I have also bought and sold some things. I've also posted some local events.

woodys6
6/15/19

Informative and my Connection to my neighbors and community also excellent source for any emergencies in the area........&$(57);;7);6$&$,,chjkbfrdyunbcsdhkkbghjmnmhxsyooudsgh

debbiep208
6/15/19

Love this site for various reasons: home owner recommendations, lost pets, items for sale; just to name a few

stepheniap
6/15/19

Nextdoor is a great way to get ideas and recommendations on services for thIngs that we need done. Very helpful!

betsyc46
6/15/19

I moved here 2 and 1/2 years ago from the Atlanta area where I also had access to Nextdoor. I am a fan of Nextdoor and think that it could be utilized much more if members would just consider all of their options available to them through this medium! Maybe some way of communicating this would be helpful!

jackw287
6/13/19

Nextdoor has helped me connect with neighbors, find cheap furniture, and stay informed with what's happening in my neck of the woods. There are crazies, sure, but that's a reflection of our society, not the app. As long as you understand that, you're golden.

parisas1
Parisa S.
6/13/19

So lovely to connect with neighbors on Nextdoor. Great finds on For Sale and Free, plus, always nice to see what's happening in the neighborhood. Really enjoying!

donr261
6/13/19

I have enjoyed using Nextdoor immensely since I heard about it back in 2013. It keeps getting better as groups are added that help to inform each neighborhood what is going on close by. It has helped bring neighbors together who may never have connected. It gives you a feeling of security as you can reach out to all your neighbors if you need help. I look forward to the future growth and where it will take us.

gailh153
6/13/19

Kind of keeps me aware of what's going on in the area but too many people are still allowed to be opinionated instead of being required to just post facts.

tys53
6/13/19

Love it when it first started but I knew free for life would be too good to be true. The ads can be annoying but would still recommend. Along with postcards and flyers, I wish there was a sign template we could use create to stick in people's yards. I've gotten a lot of folks to sign up but not 100% of neighbors

michelleg426
6/13/19

Love Nextdoor because it is an easy way to connect with so many neighbors in our area, ask questions, and find excellent vendors! Super helpful on safety tips, selling items, and repair individuals. Excellent website!!!

elainew149
6/13/19

I like Nextdoor because it covers a variety of topics that are always useful. All the neighborhoods are nearby.

charlesp285
6/13/19

This is one of the best sites I have. It's great to connect with neighbors and find out whats happening in our neighborhoods. The recommendation and referrals are great. Hopefully this site stays up a long time.

tiffanyg100
6/13/19

Nextdoor is a great resource for neighborhood news, crime alerts, lost and found pets, items for sale and recommendations.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

A note to Randy. Free speech is guaranteed to all Americans - except on websites. Nextdoor is one of the worst! My wife and I are 'banned for life' for speaking the truth about issues such as our HOA. The president of our HOA stated that my wife is a liar and I should stop trying to be relevant - on Nextdoor. This president is also a convicted felon. The main lead, Ben, is conflicted in his identity and demands acceptance. If he doesn't get it, he bans people. His co-lead, Kira, racially profiled some teenagers in the neighborhood, saying they were looking for a car to steal. She said one of them said he had a gun, then, in another post, showed her nephew a gun. In a third post, she stated the teenager "pulled a gun". Shortly after I called her on this, I was remove from Nextdoor. Another co-lead, Brian, called my wife the "meanest person he has ever met". I'm told that Brian's religion teaches him that women are less than men. She was removed from Nextdoor shortly thereafter. I complained to Nextdoor through their website. After the second try to receive fair treatment, I was then ignored by Theresa at Nextdoor. My heart is not broken. I will still insist on free speech. And, I no longer have to deal with the nasty people on Nextdoor.com. Nextdoor should have a closer look at the kind of people they let represent themselves as leads. Suppression of free speech is a basic tenet of fascism!

By Bill B.

Forget about nextdoor and leads. Get a life, a real one. Don't waste your time with toxic online communities that tend to get the worst out of people. My advise is run away while you still have some dignity left.

By Nikoleta M.

Depending on whether it is the complainer or it is the offending Lead who is Gordon Strouse's favored winner, Nextdoor will either scold the complainer for violating the "always assume best intentions" rule or they will scold the Lead for "removing a message just because you don't like it". Nextdoor does not follow their own rules, which by the way, are so disorganized that they're word salad. Nextdoor has over 50k neighborhoods, and yet Gordon himself always intercepts and answers my emails to help@nextdoor.com. Last year when I was still Lead, Gordon also suspended my account, and a friends, and ORDERED us to demonstrate hacking the website. We refused, so he crippled our accounts and ordered us to get permission to do anything. Nextdoor then handed our group directly to the HOA which we existed to be an alternative! tinyurl com/seized-by-hoa

By Kevin L.

Facebook. You can make it a private group if you chose. It's working so much better and no vitriol. Everyone in the group agrees when ever there is solicitation the post is deleted.

By Frank C.

Because they can. There is no oversight of the "Leads" which means they can do whatever they want regardless of the rules. That's why I rated nextdoor a one and deactivated my account with them.

By Allisa P.

Several other reviewers on this site have had the same thing happen to them. We have been fully banned from nextdoor (beyond just "suspension"), but they keep our profiles, and sometimes our names still appear in the neighbor registry. They refuse to remove us fully, I suppose, in an attempt to misrepresent our endorsement and participation there. It's clearly unethical, but their TOS states that they can do this, as any nd apologist will point out.

By Chad V.

I think there is a lot of potential for Nextdoor; but, presently I think the 1 1/2 star rating is really stretching it. The moderators control everything. The Customer service always take up for them, no matter what they are doing Bascially, the site is run by a lot of people who are not qualified to do that kind of work, abuse the personal information that everyone is forced to give to them, they don't know the guidelines they are to go by and they abuse like crazy. If htey don't like you, they delete all of your post. They can lie and even send you nasty threats which happened in my case, and no one can do anything about it. Many topics start off helpful and often turn into a lot of people arguing and a lot of bad feelings amonng member. Member Pricacy is BAD. Make sure to read the policy and don't post anything personal that you do not have to. They need professionals who know their job and have good diplomatic skills. Many of their moderators seem to love deisplaying power over others and treating them in a very demeaning manner. My moderator treated me so trashy that it made me sick. The private filth she sent to me was never controlled by any overseers, so I left. From what I have read it is a big ego trip for a lot of uncouth moderators who make people unfortable since they know our home addresses. I got so it made me feel very degraded and unsafe.

By Wanda J.

Nextdoor wants your full legal name, house number and address and your email address that they link all together. As an added bonus... They have a little map that you can click on. That way if, OMG, you offend someone the little map leads them straight to your house. Run, do not walk, away from this site. No good comes from Nextdoor.

By PA t.

OPM (Other People's Money) $106 million in fact. No one has proved they are data-mining but a new member signing up is asked for interests and other information that gives ample justification for concern. The simple fact they have earned an "F" rating by their own San Francisco Better Business Bureau and have refuted nothing there or here, says a lot.

By David J.

here's a tidy answer from corporate..... Hi Colleen, Thanks for getting back to me. Our Community Guidelines prohibit posting about Lead activity on the main newsfeed. If your Leads are inactivate and youre concerned about moderation in your neighborhood, you should reach out directly to Nextdoor Support. If you have any specific concerns I can help you with at this time, please let me know. Best, Amanda Nextdoor however, the minute you alert corporate to issues with leads in your community you'll find your account terminated. They are very protective of the information surrounding who really is controlling the activities on the boards. Most people in my community are under the misguided impression that corporate is in control. They don't even consider it is their neighbor who sits in judgement.

By colleen x.
Questions? Get answers from the Nextdoor staff and other customers.

Nextdoor?