Musician's Friend reviews

Tel: 800-449-9128
forums@musiciansfriend.com

jamesm1835
6/24/19

I spent lots of money with MF until I ordered a Seydel Saxony Orchestra tuned Chromatic and received a Setdel Deluxe chromatic. The deluxe is a piece of crap compared to the Saxony. It was 100% their mistake but they required ME to pay shipping and a sanitation charge. That was my last order with them. I've since bought from Kraft music (keyboard) and Rockin'Rons Music.

zebz
6/19/19

Reserved an Item 2 months in advance. But got put on another month long delay. Was told that it was a waiting list and nothing is reserved. Told company to stop listing items as reservations, got patronized for it.

Thanks for wasting my time. Horrible customer service!

markr803
6/18/19

i received a gift of a gibson barstool, what showed up was broken and assembly impossible. They will not exchange ANYTHING! So i have 2 choices, bend it myself and void any hope of returning it, or call the people who gave me the gift and ask them to call in and start a refund process, get the refund, then place a new order on my behalf. Which I'm not too keen on as i very much appreciate them for thinking of me and taking the time to order/give me this is the first place. This is not posted ANYWHERE in their return policy so i figured id help them out and post this everywhere! Would it not be easier/more cost effective to all parties to exchange the broken product you sent me? Again, DO NOT BUY GIFTS HERE!

stevenh517
6/17/19
• Updated review

MusiciansFriend was able to offer a $150 refund and a replacement to the flawed part on the original guitar. Took about a month and too much frustration, but it has been resolved to my satisfaction.

“Damaged and used items passed off as new. Issues returning”
5/31/19
• Previous review

I ordered a Taylor 214 CE DLX which showed up flawed, they sent a return shipping label which didnt work and sent a replacement in the meantime. The replacement box was horrendous. Tattered, torn, smashed, crudely taped back shut and had the previous owners shipping label still on it crossed off. Refused delivery of the 2nd due to its condition. The guitar was free floating in the box without any padding or the standard braces. Cant reach corporate office and am always told they will contact me, which never happens. I'm on day 18 after initial arrival and cant make any progress with this company. I used them before about 5 years ago and they were great. Not sure what has happened to this company. In either case, I'm out 1200.00 right now with a promise that they will reimburse.

donaldq10
6/6/19

I stopped dealing with MF a long time ago, every time I would order a Guitar amp or distortion pedal, or fuzz pedal, they would send me used equipment that some poor little rich kid sent back to them. Because they had a 45 day exchange policy. I Got tired of receiving used junk. When I pay for new equipment I want NEW.

brehannav
5/28/19

This company is trying to SCAM me out of $600.

They are trying to say I am responsible for a return that "did not reach them". However they did not notify me of this problem until well after the UPS tracking number was null and void...6 months later!
After speaking with 5 (yes 5) VERY ineffectual and unhelpful Customer service reps I still have no resolution. The "supervisor" to the last customer service reps was the worse, offering no contact info for himself but leaving a message saying sorry I can't give you any info".

By then my son had thrown away the receipt for return...
I am calling attorney and BBB tomorrow. Please go elsewhere. This is the most frustarting thing to deal with.

jackh264
5/2/19

I accidentally ordered the same volume pedal twice. They both arrived the same day. I called to tell them of my mistake and I needed a return shipping label. I understand that I had to pay return shipping. I had to open the package to retrieve the paperwork. They charged me a $10.00 handling fee and the return shipping was $14.50. So to return a $77.00 pedal cost me $24.50. My refund was $52.50 when it was all said and done. I've been buying musical gear from them and many other sites for many years. This was my first time returning an item to them. I will never use them again. Stick with Sweetwater.com. Best customer service. Too bad I can't give musician's friend 0 stars. They are not your "friend".

robynb72
4/4/19

If you are going to buy an instrument DO NOT BUY from this company. Why? Well if you want to return it YOU pay shipping! Shipping a guitar is expensive so you will probably just have to suck it up and keep it or sell it on CL or similar.
I would say you may be safe.with small things like tuners or straps as long as you know what you are buying.

brookeb90
3/25/19

I received an item that FedEx damaged. MF said they would refund my purchase and have FedEx pick up the item. Wonderful! Except after 2 weeks and multiple calls to MF, still no contact from FedEx to get the broken item AND since I paid via paypal, they wouldn't refund my money. I needed the item so I had to repurchase and thankfully that one arrived undamaged. Today again, I called MF. Each customer service representative gives me a different story and different excuse for why they cant help me. The supervisor gets on the line. They generate a shipping label, now I need to get this piano to UPS. And the "keyboard" as MF refers to it weighs nearly as much as I do. They said they can have UPS come pick it up if I want to pay a fee and then they will reimburse me. Now I have to pay to return the damaged item when they are already holding $277 hostage?? It shouldn't be so inconvenient to return an item. Also, their customer service reps are locally sourced, creating a smart-ass attitude when dealing with an unhappy customer. At least the Supervisor was apologetic, even though she could do nothing to remedy the situation.

glenns136
3/19/19

A week ago I ordered a guitar and it came to my address in Florida. This week I ordered a gig bag for it and it was sent to an old address in Arizona. That address was not even listed in my address book. I won't order from someone who I can't trust. It will cost me $10 more to order from Amazon but at least it will be sent to my address.

michaelr1092
3/17/19

Bought two brand new guitars and both had separate, bad issues. Customer service was a nightmare and I even had to spend about 20% of the original price returning the guitars. Long time customer lost.

jayj202
2/26/19

Asked for a price match on a item that was listed well cheaper on other sites they would not even attempt to honor a lower price

tammies31
2/11/19

Grandfather ordered my son a guitar from this place. He calls cause guitar is cutting out when plugged into amp. My son received it for Christmas 2018 it is now February 11 2019.They said It's out of warranty seriously I get more than a 30 day warranty on a 30$ coffee pot. You guys suck thanks for nothing. Won't even buy a guitar pick from you now. I recommend Guitar Center or Sweetwater. Have a nice day.

carriew91
2/2/19

First time using MF- Yamaha electric guitar, headphones and amp delivered ahead of schedule, after huge Midwest snowstorm amidst freezing temps. Packaging was perfect and equipment as ordered plus unexpected additional guitar add-ons.

roberth1085
12/31/18

They are not worthy of the name " friend". They are a bunch of ripoffs who don't deal direct with customers.l know they are hiding in there. Come out, little ripoffs..

melindab86
12/20/18

i ordered an amp cover fender gt 200, they sent the 100 and when i complaint of course get nowhere with them because ship it back gonna cost more then the cover itself if i order a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!really pissed with them

jamesa572
12/6/18

I ordered a VSL orchestral library from MF. Two days later I received used serial numbers. VSL support confirmed that the numbers were already registered to an MF account. In other words, someone at MF stole my serial numbers before sending them to me. I've spent a week trying to get valid serial numbers with no resolution in sight. I have turned the matter over to PayPal to try to get my money back. I will never do business with this company again.

percyf9
11/24/18

Please don't buy anything from Musiciansfriend as they're dishonest in conducting business. The sales rep will lie to get your order as they work on commission. I ordered couple of items on Nov. 19th and was assured it will be shipped via 2 day shipping. Well, that was just to get my money. I called today on Nov. 24th as my package didn't come. I called to find out what happened and I was told it will arrive on Nov. 27th. This is their definition of "2Day shipping" so be careful. They'll take your money and run. Musiciansfriend DOES NOT take any responsibility after the sale which is a DAMN SHAME!!

wilsond25
11/16/18

Ordered many guitars and guitar accessories over the years and have always been very satisfied with Musicians friend.

gerards40
11/11/18

Bought my electric from here. All went well, except the shipping took about a week more than expected. Guitar came in perfect condition, so it's fine I guess.

waynes199
10/16/18

Empty box arrived on my doorstep 6/6/2018...it is now 10/16/2018. No guitar, no money back, no resolution. I keep being told they are "investigating" it with FedEx and as soon as they know something they'll tell me. So I contacted FedEx. The claim that had been filed was denied and musicians friend was told they did not file the claim soon enough. Bear in mind I reported the incident as soon as the empty box arrived. Now MF says they're working with FedEx to reopen the claim because MF swears they reported it within a week after I called it in. MF never reaches out to me, I always initiate contact. For every 3 emails or phone calls I make I may get 1 response. I've asked for managers and supervisors with no luck either. I've told them to just let me know if I'm not getting my product and if they're keeping my money so I can just move on, but nothing. I'm convinced they just ignore you long enough that you go away. Horrible company that I've spent thousands on over 20 years now and I'll never buy from them again over a dispute with a bass that costs less than $300...

davids1807
9/24/18

I placed an order that was promised to be on my step within 3 days.... magically, it is now back ordered for 2 months. 2 months? I called their customer service phone (which was anything but customer service) and got someone that clearly didn't care, so I canceled the order. I will NEVER attempt to do business with this company again.

ericah74
9/18/18

We bought a violin and a bow. Order number mf1285425042 on Aug 23 2018.They didn't check the product before shipping. We received a disgusting bow with fungus and mold. Please see the photo. We spent over $800 but got a poor quality bow.
We already sent the photos regarding the bow showing 5 spots with mold and fungus when the violin arrived. But the company asked us to mail back the bow from Taiwan. And they didn't pay the international return freight cost. It is the poorest service we had encountered .We only want to return the money of bow and excuse.

gabrielj24
9/17/18

We attempted to buy a classical guitar that was on a sale and back ordered. It was only supposed to take an extra two weeks and that was fine. However, over the next month the back order date continuously slipped until it was pushed over three weeks beyond the initial date. That's when we decided to get of the back order game and actually bought the guitar from someone that actually had the guitar. Don't trust their back order time lines. They are meaningless and they don't care that their drawing customers in and charging them for items they can't actually provide. An upstanding company would simply mark the item as out of stock and wait till they actually had a firm shipment date but that is not the Musician's Friend.

lohab
9/9/18

So, in previous world this site was available for some information and I visited here in time to time.. However now site is defunct for European users. Seek your information elsewhere

I have had too many bad experiences with MF to recommend them. I've had better experiences with Sweetwater.com if you want to buy online.

By George A.

Brett, my last 2 experiences were terrible. Very quick scenario. Bought a little bit better than entry electric, case, and amp. Very simple, discovered I prefer to stay acoustic and wanted to return. It cost me way more to send everything back (transport/restocking) than it was to purchase. That's ridiculous. Then few months later, I wanted to add a bariuke. Then I found a great deal on a one of their Stupid Deals of the Day but had to run out to an appt. 2 hours later back home (before noon) to place order...really a freakin' great deal. The uke was removed from their site. I called and asked what happened to the uke that was on the Stupid Deal 2 hrs. ago and gave them the make and model number. Customer service without even a hesitation told me "we can do whatever we want whenever we want." I asked if they would extend the sale to me. The guy said "what did I just say lady, but hold on I'll see if they'll let me do something." He comes back and offered me a DEAL? $85.00 more than what was posted on their Stupid Deal of the Day price. In 2 hours a $85.00 increase and major attitude.

By kathy r.

Questions? Get answers from the Musician's Friend staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Musician's Friend