Review of Houzz

Palo Alto, CA 94301
support@houzz.com

kristenr27
2/17/18

Signed up with Houzz almost a year ago. Wasn't getting much business from it but, I was still giving it a chance. Recently in December I had a brain hemoriage/brain aneurism and cannot do jobs. I called on several occasions to cancel and explain my situation. I have never spoken to a supervisor, I have tried calling so many times and all I keep getting is "I will have a supervisor call you". I cannot work because of my injury and they continue to charge me $350 a month for something I cannot use. I am still waiting for a call back.

jeremys106
2/15/18

Houzz is a scam, they don't provide good leads and only care about collecting they're monthly fee and when you call to cancel they give you the run around and even after being told my account was canceled they still continued to bill be for the full 12 months. I called back to complain again and they said "sorry you signed the contract and we collected the full amount" pretty much telling me to buzz off and they got what they wanted.. I wasted $3000 and didn't sell one job!! DON'T SIGN UP!!!!

richardd211
2/14/18

I received an item that was totally wrong from what I ordered but I thought there would be no problem returning it. When I called customer service for return instructions I was rudely told my choices were to keep it or pay return shipping. This company is no Amazon or not even close. The return shipping was one quarter of what I paid for the item. Never never again Houzz.

robn30
2/14/18

Houzz has succumb to garbage by stealing every vendor, distributor possible from their sellers using their platform to do business. Worst, poor sellers have to eat the cost of any return because Houzz has made it possible to return without fees which are 100% charged to each seller causing their sellers to loose and Houzz to wash their hands of any responsibilities. Houzz staff is extremely naive and does not know jack about the product they are selling. Buyers need to be educated of product and application and this is knowledge that Houzz does not have. The staff collect their checks at the end of their pay period and the sellers are left loosing thousands selling with them. Their analytics are based on how much they can get away with screwing their sellers and telling the buyers it is the sellers fault leaving erroneous reviews. Keep on mind, HOUZZ started off as a blog and seen there was a market and in 3 years managed to fool all their buyers in believing they are getting the best deals. If you want to purchase anything for your home go direct with the seller and leave Houzz at the curb it will cost you more with their sellers having to fork over 15% sometimes more to them for whatever you are paying in product or shipping. Buyers beware and Sellers come together and class action them to stop screwing you over a barrel.

kylem114
2/14/18

I recently purchased one item and Houzz automatically created two orders. One for the item I purchased and another order for something that was in my cart over 2 months ago. I only confirmed the purchased of the one order. I didn't realize the other item was purchased until a day later. I called to cancel the order and they said it was already too late. The item cost $100 and after a restocking fee and shipping charge I only received $15 back. Their "policy" is terrible and they literally refuse to take ownership for anything. I will not be using them in the future.

judyk67
2/13/18

I will not do business with HOUZZ again. I purchased $$$ of products from them since I am in middle of construction and I had few items I returned to the same vendor and replaced with more expensive items.
My god! Shoot me. Their returns are too difficult and time consuming. They have sucked numerous hours of my life having to re-explain everything over and over again. So tiring... I will not do business here again. I will just order on AMAZON where their RETURN policies are not EXPENSIVE and time consuming.

lorih52
2/12/18

I purchased a factory (not custom) chair from Houzz on December 13, 2017. Houzz's web site said there were seven (7) in stock at the time of purchase. Houzz provided an estimated delivery date between January 24 and Feb 14, 2018. With no updates in between, on February 12, Houzz notified me that the new delivery window estimate is March 30-April 20. Houzz appears to be a terrible source for purchasing items. One should stick to finding decorators using this site. Other sources had the chair available at the time I purchased. I will not purchase from this site again.

dianab109
2/10/18

I posted an earlier review and gave 3 stars BUT THE 3 STARS WERE FOR US MARBLE NOT HOUZZ. I had done all my due diligence with US Marble to make sure I was getting the bath vanity top I wanted. It was a great price and included the 2 rectangular sinks attached to the vanity top. It also included the holes drilled appropriately for my faucets, plus the vanity had finished edges all the way around. The vanity was in perfect condition ready to install.

I wanted to see a live sample of the quartz top I had picked so US Marble sent me to Home Depot where I picked up the color sample with their name stamped on it. I loved the sample, but when the countertop arrived it was far busier with tons of veining throughout. The sample and photos did not accurately depict the actual vanity. While pretty, the vanity definitely would not work in my bathroom. I contacted HOUZZ and they were wonderful in handling my return. My husband and I reboxed the vanity in the same box it had arrived in with all the original shipping material and a shipper very easily in 30 seconds picked it up and took it away (it weighed 175 lbs!). HOUZZ is crediting the cost of my purchase given that it was misrepresented on the website and I am free to purchase a different top in my local area. They would have replaced the top but I wasn't open to doing that since it could happen again. So a word of caution if you ever purchase solid surface countertops for cabinets. Ask lots of questions and get a real sample that represents a large chunk of what you are purchasing, not just a 2" sample. I can say that the vanity arrived in perfect condition. The packing job was amazing and I wish I could have used this vanity top. I give HOUZZ 5 STARS. Mark was incredibly helpful and followed up with me to make sure the top had been picked up. Thank you, Mark

Tip for consumers: See my tip above. My photos are included in another review. A customer contacted me through my purchase to see how I liked the vanity top and I included 4 photos.

rickw83
2/7/18

We ordered the Carelton Manor home bar. We live in Nova Scotia & they would only ship to Calais, Maine, but that was OK. We were told the (Pulaski) bar was made in North Carolina, but the shipping box said "made in China". The bar, however, was Excellent in every respect! No damage, well packaged, everything it was supposed to be & more! Service was excellent & price was unbeatable!

karenb376
2/6/18

I ordered a laundry basket a few days ago and received a confirmation that it would be received within a certain window. Now today I get an email saying "we are cancelling your order because the vendor is out of stock". They do not say if your credit card was charged or what if anything is going to happen with a reorder. This is poor. That leaves you with having to call them because on their site it only shows about cancellations for items you want cancelled not the vendor. I will not take my time and reorder from Houzz. Stick with Amazon, Wayfair or another vendor that knows how to fulfill an order in a reasonable timeframe.

sandrao50
2/6/18

I just tried to phone customer service. You get an automated sales pitch for about 20 companies that you have to keep punching # sign to refuse product, when you finally reach the end computer tells you phone number has changed! I never got to speak to a representative and i will never do business with this company again!

susanc343
2/2/18

I really like the look of this console, but it was really cheaply made. The drawer hardware has to be replaced and the staining was really bad. This item was on sale and had I seen it in person, I wouldn't have purchased it. As it is, we have to do alot of work on it to look like a quality piece.

memef
1/28/18

I purchased a Bridgeport Dining table for $2929.00 through Clearwater American. First of all, the delivery was days late because the delivery men forgot to load the table. I took off work early to wait for the delivery. Once the table was delivered, the delivery men were very unprofessional. I went in to my kitchen and found the delivery men pointing to things in my kitchen and whispering to each other. Once the dining room table was delivered, the chair leg was damaged. I contacted the delivery men, and HOUZZ representative within 10 minutes of the delivery. I was asked to take a picture of the damage, in which I immediately sent. The vendor wrote HOUZZ back and stated they will use a marker to cover it up. WHAT??!!! I refused. After 3 weeks the vendor would not respond to the HOUZZ representative. I wanted my money BACK! Finally when I persisted, HOUZZ refunded my money after 3 weeks AND miraculously the vendor contacted me to pick up the table within 2 days. In addition to the damage, the table was of poor quality. Stay away from HOUZZ!

yales2
1/27/18

When I first received my product( an ottoman) I noticed immediately that the color wasn't correct. When I contacted Houzz, I was instructed I had to send pictures of the product and packing to prove it ( It felt like being called a liar) After doing this , the advised there are many reasons the color can be off and the wouldn't approve a reutrn. I deiced to then just assemble the product and keep it. However, This product I purchased was very poor quality, it is unstable, and one of the legs will not even attach completely. Additionally, the dimensions on the website are incorrect.. It is smaller then by approx 1" in both Width and Length. I would also say that working to get a return approved is a very difficult process. There are much better websites to order from, who stand by their product quality, and respect their customers.

kato26
1/27/18

They are forcing sellers to take no fault returns with no restocking fees, which cover the outbound shipping basically... for large items like lamps and furniture those are huge amounts... no other platform screws its sellers like this... in the coming month expect to see alot of sellers exit the platform.

Terrible service, cant reach someone (not until you go ballistic anyway, which is really frustrating), payments go missing or are late, departments dont talk to each other, its all a big scam...

They arent the next Amazon or Wayfair (I sell on both and never had any issues)

vz5
1/26/18

I know exactly what I want and impossible to find. Wont be ordering from houzz.

Should offer ability to filter out all the designer stuff. What they are really selling is designer services, not products like wayfair.

oliviab57
1/25/18

I ordered 3 picture frames on Houzz on the 10th. By the 16th my order still hadnt processed and I hadnt been charged so I decided to call and cancel my order. On the 24th I received a package, received a shipped email with a tracking order and my purchase was charged to my account. I was annoyed because I had canceled my order and received a confirmation email for this but thought whatever Ill just keep it. That was until I opened the package to find that it wasnt my order but some guys order from Florida. I called Houzz and they promised to look into it. The next day I was refunded my money, only it wasnt for the full amount and they expect me to ship out this guys package on my own dime. I have never ever had this type of experience. I didnt receive an apology or a coupon or anything for this headache. I will not be recommending this business to anyone.

kd101
1/25/18

I have spent hours updating a shopping cart to purchase products for a new appartment. I do not live in the US, but would use a seperate company to ship these goods. I have an american credit card, but billing address is abroad. HOUZZ gave me NO other option than to shop elsewhere as they do not accept any cards that dont have a billing address in the US. I gave them different options to transfer the funds to their account and wait for it to be processed but still they would not even consider any option that I gave them. Too bad!

johnk492
1/23/18

No tracking info other than a bogus email saying the order had shippped ! Two weeks later I tried to track. Forgetaboutit! There is no tracking because it didn't SHIP! And thier online form that is suppose to get you tracking info gets you in a maze, basically thier complaint department! Total BS!

debk35
1/22/18

10 days ago, a shipping label was created at a the seller's location. According to USPS, the item was NEVER SHIPPED. Your Company's Utter Lack of Customer Service gives me NO WAY TO RESOLVE THIS. WHERE IS MY PACKAGE?????

PLUS - you make it Mandatory for me to register on FACEBOOK which I ABHOR in order to even POST this review!!!!

ruthk35
1/21/18

they have no integrity or shame. you will not get any level of customer service no matter how hard you try. predators.

ramezm2
1/19/18

I order 2 accent chairs online, and before I received the times, I called to canceled and I did get cancellation confirmation, after 10 days they sent an email that they gone charge me 209$ for reroute the times to the stores, when i call back the customers services they told that is it, very bad company run away.

maryl453
1/18/18

An old contractor of mine just told me that he found me on Houzz but they gave him another granite company name. Are they stealing business from you? Were they selling him as a lead? I have contacted Houzz but I was talking to CS in the Philippines :(

taliaa3
1/16/18

will never order from them again - delivery is a joke and customer service is non responsive when you have any issues at all

edb95
1/15/18
• Updated review

Houzz waived the 20% restocking fee but the cost to ship two mirrors was around $100. I hauled the two boxes of mirrors to my attic where they will sit until the next community Garage Sale.

“Unlike Amazon there is a 20% restocking fee and you have to pay for shipping back.”
12/26/17
• Previous review

Many consumer website have a free return policy. Houzz does not. It will cost you 20% plus you have to pay shipping back to the vendor.
Why order from Houzz when Amazon and others have a free return policy. The mirrors I ordered were darker than they appeared in the photo. I paid $195 for both mirrors and it will cost me close to $100 to return. I now am the proud owner of two brand new mirrors that I cannot use.
Why use Houzz when you can get the same or similar products online with liberal return policies.

Good question Maggie. I don't think there is. I think this site is just there to help their vendor and not assist consumers in making informed decisions. I found had a contractor who had defrauded us and changed his business name on Houzz. I posted a review on his profile notifying the public of what he had done to us, and Houzz did not publish the review. I joined Sitejabber to warn the public about Houzz.

By James D., Houzz Representative

I began as a Pro on Houzz and spent $2000 on Advertising. This was supposedly for a year of top exposure. No one purchased, the couple of calls I received were people wanting to USE my service for ideas. I have since discontinued complimentary initial appointments. These people are the biggest scammers in the world! I'm still one of the Pros just to see if anything bites but I noticed they go into vendors photos and try to find similar product then they sell their products. Great way to sway your client and to steal customers!

By Natalie V., Houzz Representative

Do yourself a huge favor and find it somewhere else. Houzz contracts with third party sellers and their freight companies, they're just a middle man. What a nightmare this has been.

By Kathleen B., Houzz Representative

Go straight to the top at Houzz. Ms. Adi Tatarko, CEO, Alon Cohen, Pres. If tha doesn't work, I suggest you file complaint with the Consumer Affairs Division of the California Attorney General's Office.

By Curtis C., Houzz Representative

The Pros, at least at the beginning, were not in competition with this company (Houzz). They convinced the "Designer" world that the were strictly collecting ideas for the public and to help improve the vendors chances of being hired. Those reviews on the Pros are about the Pros, they come from their clients. About 2-3 years ago, Houzz began selling out from under all the vendors! They are SO low they have gone into the photos of the pros, look for a product they have that might be similar to something they sell and lead them away from the pro. The 1-2 stars you see here are the reviews for "Houzz" and their service but the reviews under a Pro are for that Pro. Don't be fooled... If you want the job done right, call the Pro! Listen to these reviews of Houzz and you won't get burned. Two different animals completely!

By Natalie V., Houzz Representative

Steer clear. The advertising doesn't work, and although they originally started up as a company that would work alongside the vendors, they are now selling out from under most of them, especially the interiors decorators! They are SO low they have actually tagged products inside some of the photos of interior designers and tabbed out similar products to stay the customer away from the Pro and to purchase through them directly!!!

By Natalie V., Houzz Representative

I finally found it. The phone number for Houzz customer service is 800-368-4268. I just used it and it works.

By Jim H., Houzz Representative

Do not order. Avoid!

By Ram S., Houzz Representative

I assume so. Every responder addressed matters related to Houzz

By robin f., Houzz Representative

why do you want my phone number?

By Patricia V., Houzz Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Houzz staff and other customers.

33 Photos for Houzz