Review of Houzz

Palo Alto, CA 94301
support@houzz.com

nataliek38
12/12/17

I ordered a bathroom vanity thru Houzz. Unfortunately, it was delivered damaged and I had to contact Houzz regarding it's replacement. I would like to say that the entire process was a positive experience. One of the managers took a charge of my case and kept her finder on the pulse of the communications with the vanity producer the whole time. She did a great job informing me of the progress of the replacement thus wanting to make sure I was pleased with the result. Thank you for your professionalism! I have more item to buy to decorate my house. I will be definitely coming back to shop at Houzz.
Thank you, Natalie K.

suzyf2
12/12/17

I have never had a problem returning an item, or getting in touch with houzz and the merchant CYMAX! Horrible experience! They do not at all help with areanging return! In addition I put a stop payment on the item immediately through my bank and it still came! I have a huge box in my LR unopened, it has almost been a month and it is still not resolved. I will be losing 60$! SCAMMERS!

kayw38
12/12/17

My very first order with HOUZZ was a disaster. I saw all the bad reviews for this company but the vanity that I like was only sold through them, so I decided to take chance. Big mistake. My bathroom project been on hold for 5 months now!!! And I mean I don't have sink or vanity and can't use that bathroom at all... The vanity arrived 2 months after I ordered it and it arrived damaged. Houzz seemed to take charge and contacted the seller right away, I was impressed and happy with their response, but as the time went on and I still haven't gotten replacement or the tracking number as to when it will arrive, the Houzz faded away and doesn't seem to care any more. They respond to my email but not being very helpful. The tracking number they provided doesn't exist. I understand that the Houzz is a middle man, but if they represent sellers on their website they have to take full responsibility for their incompetence.

mb265
12/10/17

THese people...regardless of their "privacy policy" share your email with countless other spammers selling crap. All I wanted to do was ask a question about a tool shed. I've requested three times to get off their mailing list...still get their crap....and countless others. It has to be Houzz as I haven't given my email to anyone in over 6 months...now it's spam world. BEWARE

haydyb
12/8/17

I have to wait like 2weeks after I bought it from them to get that shipping and 2 more week to get it and that proses of shipping to me I have to make an appointment to get it to my house this is terrible now Im crossing finger if is not damage since November 25 Keeping waiting they saying by December 18 I will get that terrible and big mistake I should of buying it from some place else.

tomm1413
12/8/17

Recently made an order through Houzz.com. They instantly debited my account. After 5 days no mention of delivery. Placed a call and went to the Philippines. They said they had to check with the vendor. This means they do not carry the merchandise they promote. So they take our money then place an order with the manufacturers for the product. I've never been charged prior to delivery by anyone. Order cancelled!!!

scotto28
12/8/17

Placed order, get Email a day or two later with a tracking number. Click on DHL link (DHL huh?) bad tracking number. Talked to Houzz, they say it shipped, call DHL. Bottom line, no one knows where it is or whether it was actually shipped. We four days before the end of the estimated delivery window. The huge delivery window should have been a clue. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived in 2 days. So, today I went ahead and went to return the item that no one knows where it is. Of course Houzz quickly responds with by "punting" to the manufacturer. Never again, go with the big boys; don't mess with these clowns.
order #1585-0858-4100-8768. Just in case someone is listening......

stevel171
12/7/17

Houzz gave me a 12 day window for delivery. The day after that window expired I checked the tracking and found out it didn't even ship until that day! 11 days after my delivery window and I still don't have the product! Fool my once baby, for a second chance you will not get... I was forced to click on a star here, otherwise they would get none!

jennifern101
12/7/17

Bought something on line as a Christmas gift on 11/24. Delivery date was 12-4 - 12-8. Since I did not get a shipped emailed I called 12/7 at 9am. Was told they would look into it since status was preparing to ship. Called back 3 hours later and waited on hold while rep called company (Society6) and was told item would ship later today or tomorrow. Received an email 2 hours later that my order was actually cancelled since the item is not in stock. No phone call, no other explanation. Nothing. Would never order from them or Society6 again.

jefff92
12/7/17

I purchased a metal frame, wood shelf bookcase from Houzz. The four legs would not sit evenly on the floor and the shelves were cheaply made of some kind of imitation wood that had white marks on them and were unevenly stained. The company allowed me to return the bookcase but charged me $98.00 for return shipping. Most companies absorb the cost of clearly defective merchandize but not Houzz. Will never purchase from this company again.

josephg117
12/6/17

We've been selling through Houzz for a couple of years now. At first, we were getting orders for small items (under $500), and it was fine. Something changed this year. It's almost as if there's widespread customer fraud. We've been getting many orders for a $4,000 table we sell which inevitably get claimed as being damaged. However, there's always some sort of suspicious occurrence in which the customer "loses" or throws out the damaged item, and HOUZZ sides with the customer, leaving us as the retailer on the hook for the lost revenue. Customers are impossible to get in touch with. In my 15 years as a retailer, I've never had issues reaching a customer. But HOUZZ customers are ghosts. Something is just not right, Also, there are orders that can't be charged when the shipping time comes, leaving us scrambling to cancel the order. It's just plain old weird. It's like HOUZZ customers don't really want the items they are ordering and hide behind the veil of anonymity the site provides.

revp
12/6/17

I have tried to put a 1 star rating for a couple of businesses Houzz never posts them! Only 5 star show up. Go to other review sites companies have tons of 1 star! This is so wrong buyers think they are dealing with a reputable company when they are not! They could have known had Houzz been up front and let people post true reviews of the companies on their site!

barbaras257
12/5/17

I ordered a simple coffee cup. It arrived wrapped in thin plastic and a small cardboard box. The handle is broken. all I wanted was replacement come before Christmas. You would think I am trying to rob the National Treasury Department. I've sent emails and pictures and next they'll be wanting my fingerprints. My advice? Buyers beware

donnam264
12/4/17

If you are wondering whether you should sell your products through Houzz, it's important that you know the good, the bad and the ugly about Houzz.

The Good: We tried it and sold about ten items over about an eight month period, and some were big ticket items. Their site is easy to upload images to and as they pay a lot for Google product listing ads. So sales are possible.

The Bad: You will likely lose money overtime by signing up with Houzz. First, our traffic on our regular site took a dive after signing with Houzz. That's probably a function of search engines seeing duplicate descriptions of your items and so one cancels out the other, so be careful. Second, while our normal returns/damage rate is less than 5%, with Houzz is was 50%!! So we lost a lot of money! The issue is that Houzz allows customers to report damage anytime within 5 days, even if the item was shipped White Glove, unpacked, inspected and signed off on by the customer as being in perfect condition. In this case, you have no ability to file a claim with the shipping company because they have proof that the item was in good condition when it was delivered.So if the customer decides they don't like it, they can scratch it or break a part of it - and still return it at no charge to them. So you not only have to eat the cost of shipping it to the customer, but also the cost of shipping it back - even though it was delivered in perfect condition. And if they just want to return an item because they don't want it, they have 30 days (meaning they can use it for a photo shoot or special occasion) and you can't charge a restocking fee (even though most manufacturers will charge you one!). Also, even if a customer throws away the box and your policy clearly says items must be returned in the original box, Houzz still requires that you come and box it up and take it back! Houzz is set up so that they are the only ones who really make money because they accept no liability for the outcome of these policies that result in losses. As a retailer, you are screwed!

The Ugly: Houzz is a corporate bully that pushes small retailers around and if you don't just bend over and accept the losses (and even scams) that result from their negligent policies, they will close down your account. This is a true story that just happened. Recently, a customer bought a $6,300 cabinet from us through Houzz and we paid $500 to ship the item White Glove. The customer inspected the cabinet with the driver, initialed the delivery paperwork in four places concerning the condition and accepted it. Then suddenly she claimed it was damaged which the White Glove carrier denied since they inspected it with her and would have told her to NOT accept the item if it was damaged. The box had been discarded by White Glove carrier so we had to jump through hoops to find a way to return this very expensive cabinet (at our expense) to the manufacturer for a refund. It took two weeks to get a Return Authorization from the manufacturer and set up return shipping without the box - and in the meantime, Houzz refunded the customer in full before it was picked up! The company that scheduled the pickup of the return were given a box by the customer that they discovered was actually filled with scrap metal. When they tried to return it to the customer and get the real cabinet, she claimed she had moved the night the box was picked up and didn't have the cabinet. We reported all of this to Houzz and showed the photos of the box filled with scrap metal. But Houzz REFUSED to pay us for the cabinet that their customer did not return. Essentially, their customer stole the cabinet after they were refunded, and Houzz put all the loss on us! There was no cabinet to prove any damage to the shipper, nor was there a product to return to the manufacturer. Houzz told us they had no responsibility to pay us for the cabinet that their customer did not return. Their policy of allowing damage claims despite an item being signed after a thorough inspection - and refunding a customer before an item is returned is what enabled this customer to steal our $6300 cabinet!

Only after I threatened to take Houzz to court and file a theft report with the police did they agree to pay something - but nowhere near what I was owed and the legal guy was smug, condescending and threatening. I told them that the only acceptable outcome, according to our attorney, was to either return the cabinet or pay the amount we were owed, to which they said they would only pay the full amount if I agreed in writing not to file a police report or talk about this story publicly - and they said since I was demanding to be paid what I was owed, they would close down our account. Of course, I agreed to stop using their platform which has resulted in serious losses and the theft of a beautiful cabinet, but I DECLINED the money because I will NOT be silenced!

Small retailers and artisans put the heart and soul into their work and need to know that Houzz is a corporate BULLY that treats small businesses with utter contempt. Their policies enable abuse and result in huge losses. DO NOT USE HOUZZ!!!!

debbiec135
11/27/17

I ordered interior home lighting at $3500. My credit expired on file and when I tried to repurchase items on cyber Monday the biggest sale day for them the prices were 20% higher. Not very honest company. Plus the person I spoke with had a thick very accent very hard to understand and who completely mess up my order.

phyllisl14
11/26/17

We worked with April White, interior designer, when we moved to Sarasota from Arlington, MA. April was extremely helpful in guiding us on what to move and what we should sell up north. Upon arriving, she provided wonderful guidance as we furnished our new home with new furniture as well as what we owned. She also was a huge help in placing our art work and "pulling" everything together. We couldn't have been happier!

tonyn47
11/22/17

Houzz is blatantly raising prices just before black Friday. Typical. I was in the process of making a $1100 purchase. I went back to my cart and the item magically went up to over $1800. Ridiculous and shady, but typical big business profiteering tactic. I called customer service to give them a chance. I was "helped" by some loud, very nasty woman who made many excuses as to why they would not honor the original price, and she spoke over me numerous times as well. Steering clear of this terrible, shady, company and their horrid employees.

Tip for consumers: Shop elsewhere.

harveyy3
11/22/17

Headboard arrived with NO hardware customer service attempted to be helpful however was told to go to a hardware store and purchase hardware or wait about 8 days for hardware to be sent via mail. clearly houzz is dependant upon the sell however houzz should be able to encourage the seller to move more quickly. it would appear that they really has little concern after the sale. My suggestion is shop elsewhere

jaidec
11/16/17

When purchasing I like to look at reviews, however I have to admit I don't leave comments whether I had good or bad experience. I felt I need to write this one. Will NEVER NEVER order from Houzz again!! even If find an item cheaper at Houzz, it is not worth the hassle with the customer service. giving them 1 star is too much. Talking to a person, you might as well bang your head on the wall, you'll only GET a headache, with Houzz customer service you will GET, temper, wasted time, foul mouth, get to lose money. when contacting through email, they get back to you in THREE days, so if you change you mind get ready to fight cause they will charge you for restock or return and its not cheap! I can go on how horrible experience it was. just if ordering check check you email and leave a paper trail.

iracemap
11/15/17

They lied to me! They told me that the furniture I bought came from Los Angeles and that it was going to be delivered on Tuesday. 4 days passed and the product never arrived on time. It took them 3 weeks for them to deliver, because it came from Canada not CA. I live in California and I expected to receive my product in 4 days. Then, when it arrived, it was a damage and I call and it's been two weeks and they never call me back. Very bad customer services. I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN.

adams302
11/14/17

I recently purchased two vanities from Houzz. I wanted to two vanities to match and they have both in stock....or so they said. After over a week Houzz email me saying that one of the vanities had been discontinued, shortly followed by the other vanity had been shipped. I never had a chance to cancel my order and now I'm stuck with a vanity that I dont want. Not only were the vanity's overpriced in the first place, but now they want to charge me over $300 to return it!!

milar2
11/13/17

I will never order anything from Houzz again. Horrible customer service in Philippines. Not sure they're still in business with this kind of service. I called to follow up on my item that I ordered 2 weeks pior and never received tracking info for it. The customer serv. rep immediately blamed on the vendor about something and said the vendor will ship it out today. She then confirmed that I should receive the item on Sunday by Fedex. I said to her I don't think Fedex work on Sunday and she insisted that I will for sure receive item on Sunday. Of course, I never received the item on Sunday or the next day. I called the customer serv. again and she had me wait on the phone for 20 mins each time to figure out when I will receive my item and 2nd time I asked to speak to her supervisor because she can't guarantee when I will receive my item. What is tracking number for ??! Do they not have tracking system in Philippines??!? She then had me on hold forever. I decided to hang up and didnt want to waste my time with them anymore. I still haven't received my item and will call my credit card company to block Houzz for charging me. I can get the same item for the same price somewhere else and I would pay more for a better customer service somewhere else!

louannk1
11/13/17
• Updated review

HOUZZ read my review and finally granted me a refund for the damaged item.
It's crazy that HOUZZ cared about the review, but not me as a customer receiving damaged items and dealing with the hassle.
Anyway, thank you Sitejabber!!!

“Buyer beware-Horrible customer service”
10/25/17
• Previous review

I ordered a ceramic elephant. The item arrived scratched. I requested and received a replacement that arrived shattered. Lovely. I could not get Houzz to refund and take the items back. I had both damaged elephants in their large boxes taking up space,and after going through all the return nonsense for Houzz, I never received return slips or a refund from Houzz. I gave up and threw the items out. I still cannot believe how inept Houzz is and will NEVER buy from them again. Buyer Beware!

robertf228
11/13/17

Not sure how the contractors get recommended by Houzz (there's no way to ask them). The recommendation we just used for our landscape design is subpar at best. Don't trust their recommendations. There are lots of other better sources for quality recommendations. I would stay away.

jand93
11/9/17

I purchased a rug thru houzz. I've ordered a number of rugs online from various retailers. ALL offered free returns. Several even offered to pick up at your home for a very nominal charge. One seller even offered me a 10% rebate to keep the rug I wanted to return.

The houzz source I ordered from not only charged a 10% restocking fee to return, I had to pay the shipping charge. After hoisting a large rug into my small car and driving to a local UPS store, I had to pay $60 to return it. Then charged the restocking fee. So at the end of this, I've paid nearly $100 to try a $300 rug in my home.

And, only to add salt to my wounds, I've been waiting 3 weeks to see the pathetic refund on my acct.

NEVER again will I order anything from houzz.

Good question Maggie. I don't think there is. I think this site is just there to help their vendor and not assist consumers in making informed decisions. I found had a contractor who had defrauded us and changed his business name on Houzz. I posted a review on his profile notifying the public of what he had done to us, and Houzz did not publish the review. I joined Sitejabber to warn the public about Houzz.

By James D.

Do yourself a huge favor and find it somewhere else. Houzz contracts with third party sellers and their freight companies, they're just a middle man. What a nightmare this has been.

By Kathleen B.

Go straight to the top at Houzz. Ms. Adi Tatarko, CEO, Alon Cohen, Pres. If tha doesn't work, I suggest you file complaint with the Consumer Affairs Division of the California Attorney General's Office.

By Curtis C.

I began as a Pro on Houzz and spent $2000 on Advertising. This was supposedly for a year of top exposure. No one purchased, the couple of calls I received were people wanting to USE my service for ideas. I have since discontinued complimentary initial appointments. These people are the biggest scammers in the world! I'm still one of the Pros just to see if anything bites but I noticed they go into vendors photos and try to find similar product then they sell their products. Great way to sway your client and to steal customers!

By Natalie V.

The Pros, at least at the beginning, were not in competition with this company (Houzz). They convinced the "Designer" world that the were strictly collecting ideas for the public and to help improve the vendors chances of being hired. Those reviews on the Pros are about the Pros, they come from their clients. About 2-3 years ago, Houzz began selling out from under all the vendors! They are SO low they have gone into the photos of the pros, look for a product they have that might be similar to something they sell and lead them away from the pro. The 1-2 stars you see here are the reviews for "Houzz" and their service but the reviews under a Pro are for that Pro. Don't be fooled... If you want the job done right, call the Pro! Listen to these reviews of Houzz and you won't get burned. Two different animals completely!

By Natalie V.

Steer clear. The advertising doesn't work, and although they originally started up as a company that would work alongside the vendors, they are now selling out from under most of them, especially the interiors decorators! They are SO low they have actually tagged products inside some of the photos of interior designers and tabbed out similar products to stay the customer away from the Pro and to purchase through them directly!!!

I assume so. Every responder addressed matters related to Houzz

By robin f.

why do you want my phone number?

By Patricia V.
Questions? Get answers from the Houzz staff and other customers.

33 Photos for Houzz