Review of Houzz

Tel: +1 800-778-7879
support@houzz.com

johng1413
2/11/19

I ordered Thomas the train kids sofa from house. The order was confirmed, and 4 days later it was canceled by seller?? The facts are I found it for $56.99 free shipping. Canceled 4 days later and back on web site for $99.99. With plenty in stock. Houzz refused to honor their confirmation and want to to reorder at higher price. So they can cancel and raise price.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from houzz. They will do this to you at some time.

Response from Houzz T., Houzz Representative
Hi John,

We are sorry to hear this! Do you have an order number or support ticket number you are able to share so that we can reach out to help?

Thanks!
Houzz Customer Outreach Team
adamq3
2/5/19

Dear fellow designers- Don't be fooled into advertising with Houzz. This is a disreputable company. They auto-renew your contract with no notice. And if you haven't explicitly told them that you don't wish to renew 20 days prior to the end of your contract, they won't let you cancel for at least 4 months. Everything they do is designed to deceive and trick. And you can never reach anyone by phone. I think we should start a class action lawsuit against them. This shouldn't be allowed to continue.

jasonb657
1/28/19

Houzz sent my package to a previous address and blamed this on me, while orders made before the wrong address order were sent to my current/right address.

Because I wasn't able to get through to customer support since every time I called I was hung on, I called the sales team. The sales team told me that it was their error, while customer support refused to take blame.

Long story short, do not deal with Houzz customer service. It's a reason they're ranked and considered to be so bad. I don't understand how any company could have such horrible support and still be in business. Did a quick google search after my experience and found I'm not alone in the way I was treated by Houzz.

sandrag400
1/26/19

Bought 2 agate grey oil 20" stools from Hausmann through Houzz. one was good the other damaged. sent the one back and had to pay $50.00 shipping. the second stool sent was decayed and gutted out. Houzz stated that Hausmann said if I send this stool back would get the same rotted stool. bad business ..Houzz should not allow Hausmann to sell such garbage. I will stick with Amazon...

kw180
1/25/19

This company deserves a negative rating. Do not join as a professional. Our office manager was talked into joining this organization. We haven't received one lead and we have been trying to cancel our contract for two years. We are now going to take this to an attorney. They are that bad. Our account representative is the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE REP I've had to deal with in years... * If she gives you a call, hang up fast, she will yell and argue, she is rude and disrespectful, and a liar. In my opinion this organization could be a marketing scam.

*Personal information redacted by admin

peterd318
1/22/19

The sales pitch was focused on my initial needs which were to sell on Houzz Marketplace. Turned out to be a total scam - I still have "pending" account status at the market place after paying $250 per month for more than a year and now I have been told that my cancellation request was not accepted because it was not "in writing" and 30 days before the renewal period despite me telling my account rep I wanted to cancel twice over 12 months! Check out their shiny F rating at the BBB!

Don't advertise unless you have a lawyer present when you want to cancel.

mariak183
1/18/19

Very rude customer service department and not helpful at all! I purchased an area rug and the next day it went on sale and they would not adjust my price for me! Terrible company to do business with and will never purchase from again!

ccd2
1/14/19

The pair of Flash Furniture 24'' High Blue Metal Counter Height Stool arrived with bubbled paint on both seats. Houzz issued a small discount based based on what was supposedly cosmetic imperfections. Less than 1 year later, the paint has chipped off both stools where the bubbled paint was and they are now rusted and unusable. Houzz and the supplier BisonOffice both said to file a warranty claim with Flash Furniture but Flash Furniture said they do not file claims for end users. They said to contact Houzz where the purchase was made and "they will be glad to help you." Houzz was not glad or even willing to help resolve the problem. Neither the manufacturer nor the retailer is taking responsibility for this defective furniture. Terrible order experience and useless customer service.

Tip for consumers: Avoid Flash Furniture products and Houzz: Neither backs up their defective products. Order from Amazon because they stand by their customers and make good on defective item shipments.

debbir3
1/12/19

I ordered a lamp - brass base and black shade - as one item, not ordered separately. The shade style was a 'screw on' top; the lamp requires a pronged shade...no possible way to make them work together. And, the shade was not the one pictured. The return process is set up to make it as complicated as possible...DONE with ordering house decor items. Also ordered a china vase an the quality was very poor.

lianam8
1/9/19

We bought a wooden bench from houzz marketplace around thanksgiving. Couple of weeks later a wrong product, solid concrete extremely heavy bench was left at our front door. We gave houzz a call the same day, asking them to arrange pick up of the wrong product ASAP. After 4-5 phone calls and 10 days later the pick up was arranged ONLY when I spoke with the manager. The entire 10 days we were literally jumping over the concrete bench to enter our house, as the concrete bench was extremely heavy for us to move. Few days after the pick up - refund was made, eve though we clearly told them we want the wooden bench still to be delivered. No phone call, no communication, just refund after they held our money for 1 month! I called (again!) and representative was extremely rude over the phone, openly laughing at us during the conversation and eventually hanging up. I called manager few days later and he offered $50 discount for the original bench, for one month of holding our money (around $500), hours spent on phone and jumping over the concrete box outside of the front door. We refused, as we found a much cheaper option for the wooden bench we wanted at a reputable distributor. My feeling is HOuzz has ZERO responsibility towards purchases done on their platform and if you have a problem dealing with them, just ask for the manager, as regular phone representative are either incompetent or rude.
As a proof - my houzz order number was 1617-8996-4996-6057

alexf174
1/7/19

Update to review below: Houzz reached out to me after I posted my reviews and assisted in negotiating the shipping cost with the seller. The seller will now cover $30 of my shipping and Houzz is covering $70. I appreciate them reaching out and trying to get this resolved.

Original review: I ordered a couch online with Houzz and although I haven't received it yet, I'm already dissatisfied. My original delivery date was January 11 - January 19. I had to pay $130.00 for shipping on this specific couch even though some had free delivery. 4 days before the estimated delivery, I received an email notifying me that my new delivery date will be February 15 - February 23, over a month later. When I emailed them asking for a refund of my $130.00 for shipping (since it will arrive 5 weeks after the original date), they said "We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you, we will cancel the order for you if you do not need it anymore." I obviously still need/want the couch. The customer service is terrible if they aren't willing to waive a $130 shipping fee because of a 5 week delay that is their fault.

stephh25
12/19/18
• Updated review

I received a phone call and email from Jessie in Customer Service. She was very nice and apologetic. I felt guilty for writing a review while I was angry after the discussions I had with her. She tried to find me alternative dishes and listened to what I had to say. Plus she offered a discount. They get their products from various companies and the company that sells my dishes are under review. The problem with this review is that although Jessie was great, I still can't get my dishes that said they were in stock when I ordered and it took a bad review before the company reached out. They did ignore my previous email

“Scam. They take your info but deliver nothing. Check the BBB reviews.”
12/9/18
• Previous review

About a year ago I ordered a table and chairs they showed in stock. Over a week later I received an email that my order was cancelled because they said it was out of stock. I thought oh well it happens. A couple of weeks ago I ordered three dishes sets they showed in stock. I paid for expedited shipping to get them before Christmas. A few days later I received an email saying that the dishes had to be ordered from overseas and I wouldn't get them for 3 to 6 months. I wrote them at the email they provided for questions or concerns on the email to me. It said they would respond in 1 to 2 days. I also checked their site which still showed the dishes in stock. I never got a response. Today, over a week later they sent mean email saying that my order was cancelled because the dishes are out of stock. I will never order from them again, but my concern is that they collect all my information by allowing me to order items they claim are in stock but don't deliver on. Not to mention their customer service never responds. It seems like a fraud of a company.

barbaraw337
12/9/18

December 8, 2018,

I've had the privilege of working with Jeff Thomas and Marc Hayward, Watermark Coastal Homes to build a cottage in Habersham, located in Beaufort, South Carolina. Throughout the course of construction, Jeff and Marc displayed a high level of professionalism, experience, dedication and commitment to quality.

Watermark Coastal Homes demonstrated the qualities of an outstanding Team.

Enthusiasm and Commitment, from the first meeting it was clear they were enthusiastic about building my cottage and were commitment to assist me through the entire building process.

Competency, when selecting Watermark, it become evident I was working with two highly competent professionals. It allowed me to be confident and trusting, knowing they understood my vision and budget for the cottage. Their competency quickly erased any cause for needless anxiety on my part.

Creativity, both Jeff and Marc are creative thinkers. If something seemed not to be working in my plan, they quickly came up with a creative solution to make it work.

Perseverance , came easily to this team. They were steadfast in their belief and nothing came in the way of our vision. We encountered some obstacles, a hurricane, bad weather and a few other delays. Never, did I feel uncomfortable with the decisions they were making. They also communicated any delays in the building process and why they occurred.

A sense of humor is another quality of a successful team. Dedication and commitment doesn't preclude having fun. Marc demonstrated this time and time again as we picked out choices for my cottage. He constantly kept me on course and helped me stay within my budget. He knew my style and helped me narrow my choices so it was not at all overwhelming.

Marc and Jeff have an outstanding team of subcontractors. They are also professional and care about the quality of their workmanship. Marc was often on site working with them, also checking their work to ensure it was up to the quality expected by Wathermark Coastal Homes.

Unquestionably, building my home with Watermark Coastal Homes was the most pleasant experience. The craftsmanship and quality of construction are exceptional. Barbara J Westcott

Response from Houzz T., Houzz Representative
Hi Barbara,

We are so happy to hear that you had such a great experience with one of our Professionals on Houzz! Our industry network is very important to us; we will be sure the Watermark Coastal Homes team sees your kind words as well. Please let us know if you need help shopping for your home's interior projects!

miay9
12/7/18

HOUZZ REVIEW I AM FORCED HERE TO GIVE ONE STAR - THEY DESERVE NONE. YOU CANNOT POST A REVIEW WITHOUT ADDING A STAR - A RIDICULOUS POLICY. AND AN OPTION TO GIVE THEM A MINUS TEN STAR OPTION IS NOT GIVEN.

MY BADLY PACKAGED ITEM ARRIVED WITH GLASS BROKEN AND THEN I GOT LECTURED BY HOUZZ CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT AS WELL!!!!

NOT ONLY WILL MY FIVE YEAR OLD GRANDSON NOW BE UPSET AFTER BEING EXCITED ABOUT GETTING HIS BIRTHDAY GIFT TOMORROW, TO MAKE IT WORSE CUSTOMER AGENT PREFERRED TO LECTURE ME RATHER THAN APOLOGIZE IMMEDIATELY AND MAKE A CUSTOMER WHO HAS BEEN SENT (AND DISAPPOINTED BY) BROKEN GOODS FEEL BETTER.

DON'T ORDER THIS ITEM OR ANYTHING ELSE FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU WANT IT UNBROKEN OR DECENT OR DECENT, POLITE SERVICE. BELIEVE ME - YOU ARE RISKING YOUR TIME AND MONEY AND LIKELY TO BE SPOKEN TO UNPLEASANTLY IF YOU CALL TO SAY ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT BROKEN GOODS.

I AM TELLING YOU SHOPPING ELSEWHERE IS A BETTER CHOICE.

IT IS BAD ENOUGH TO GET BROKEN ITEMS TO START WITH, BUT I WAS ALSO TREATED TO IGNORANTLY AND RUDELY STATED, REPETITIONS ALONG WITH A LECTURING VOICE AFTER HOUZZ LET ME DOWN. I ONLY NEEDED TO ORDER ONCE TO KNOW I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE FROM HOUZZ AGAIN.

PLEASE DON"T EXPECT ANYTHING LESS IF YOU CALL THEM AS YOU TOO WILL LIKELY GET ATTITUDE IF YOU CALL.

THERE IS A 'DUH" FACTOR INVOLVED HERE WITH SUCH EMPLOYEES: IF THEY WERE CAPABLE OF WORKING OUT THAT REPEAT BUSINESS MEANS THEY GET A SALARY AND THEREFORE THEY HAVE EVERY OBLIGATION TO BE NICE - AND SHOW GRATITUDE TOO - TO CUSTOMERS, IT MIGHT MEAN FEWER OF THEM HAVE THE NERVE TO BE CONDESCENDING RATHER THAN GRACIOUSLY HELPFUL.

PR PROBLEM HERE OBVIOUSLY ALONG WITH THE ILL TREATMENT.

AND DESPITE TELLING THE AGENT EACH TIME IN RESPONSE TO THOSE RUDELY STATED CONDESCENDING REPETITIONS THAT I AM NOT STUPID AND HAD ALREADY HEARD WHAT SHE SAID WITH TO BEGIN WITH, SHE KEPT IT UP AND DID IT A TOTAL OF 5 TIMES. OMG! I MEAN WOW! SERIOUSLY???? SO I TOLD HER AGAIN TO STOP BUT SHE WOULD NOT LET UP.

IF YOU WANT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU WILL NOT GET IT HERE.

joanneg114
12/6/18

I received a heavily damaged rug that I ordered through Houzz. After numerous attempts of receiving any sort of satisfaction from their customer service dept., I was finally directed to send a photo of the damaged rug to support@houzz.com. Here's the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Houzz! We are unable to respond to emails sent directly to this address.

To contact us, please visit: http://help.houzz.com. Our support center includes contact forms and answers to frequently asked questions. You can also click on Submit a Request, at the top of our support center to send us a question directly.

Freaking ridiculous! Back to their website and submitted my claim (AGAIN) with a photo. Then, contacted once again for them to tell me they couldn't see the damage in the photo. Really? It couldn't be clearer. I tried attaching the photo here, but it's not uploading. This nonsense is still going on, I still have the damaged rug and I will NEVER buy another thing through Houzz again! Buyer Beware!

Response from Houzz T., Houzz Representative
Hi Joanne,

We are sorry to hear about your experience thus far! Are you able to provide an order number or support ticket number so that we can reach out?

stephaniew246
12/4/18

My company decided to advertise with Houzz for a year. There was not a single qualified lead sent our way. Not one, meaning no sales and zero return on our investment. I called to cancel and was told that my account automatically renewed for a year and we would have to pay a penalty if we wanted out. Customer service is horrible and this is a complete and utter waste of money.

kellyr222
12/3/18

Fraudulent claim showed up on my bank account from HOUZZ and they would not let me speak to anyone in billing or in US. Had to cancel my card. Terrible customer service and possibly criminal behavior!

bobb666
11/30/18

Had and still have an issue with a return and some non-usable products, (Factory defects). I've called twice and have spoken to five people, ever time they realize its a call with an issue, they put me back in the hold line to deal with another operator. Twice, I've been told that they have opened a case for a return and have not received any call back. I will continue to hound these people but would not recommend them.

Response from Houzz T., Houzz Representative
Hi Bob,

annap215
11/28/18

Doing business with Houzz had been a complete and total nightmare. The customer service hotline is a complete and utter joke. Discourteous and apathetic. Reading from scripts. Like talking to walls. Houzz charged my account instantaneously. One month later -- still no product. Multiple and differing delivery dates offered, all bogus. If you know what's good for you, avoid like the plague.

Response from Houzz T., Houzz Representative
Hi Anna,

martah4
11/27/18

For a number of years, I have received newsletters from Houzz, and by all appearances, it seemed a first-rate source for decor. I ordered a coffee table during the Black Friday sale. While I did not expect a masterpiece or a fine piece of furniture, it was a piece of junk. They sent everything but the nails to assemble it. Of course, you don't notice that it needs assembly because they have deftly obscured that information. They advertise a 30-day return, but you have to pay. My 30-day return was reduced to 14 days so they could keep the money.

With any unfamiliar company, I always use my AmEx. I am doing a chargeback, and, as a longtime customer, I am hoping they will take care of the shipping charges.

I am unsubscribing from the website as I think they are a bunch of scammers. If you absolutely need the design information (which can be found many other places), fine. If you like any of the items, get the information and go to another reputable website to order it.

There are too many ethical websites out there where consumers will be treated courteously and fairly.

Tip for consumers: Be careful. Most of the items can be found elsewhere. I wouldn't order from Houzz ever.

alao
11/26/18

I will never order from Houzz as it is a fraud company and wasting of time.Placed order and after waiting for over a week found that they cancelled the order.

davidc1413
11/19/18

Long story short houzz is is a scam and will take advantage of anyone or any company if you give them the chance. This review is for service. If you are a company I highly suggest and recommend not to use Houzz services. It has been over 8 months since I've paid $2,600 for their services which is a yearly contract you cannot get out of. They suck you into it and take advantage of you. Literally have not even gotten one single job when I was told to keep waiting and waiting for results and nothing positive came of it. I have been fighting with them to get a refund and to cancel it and they keep telling me that can't be cancelled and it gets better but nothing gets better their customer service is a complete joke and because of this I would love to tarnish the reputation of houzz. I even offered to pay the four months which is $200 a month to cancel the contract for $800 and they refused to do so. Right now we are battling them in small claims court. The whole process has been a disaster from the start when I was promised positive results and received not one single lead. Take HomeAdvisor for example or Angie's List over this company any day.

caroleem3
11/10/18

We saw Help Your Shelves at the State Fair. They make rollouts for existing cabinets. Made the appointment and Jake came out and measured and today Jake installed them. Corner cabinet didn't have Lazy Susan and they have an amazing roll out that fits right into the corner space. Very happy also had two roll out shelves made for the island. Jakes installation was clean and neat. So glad we found "Help Your Shelves"

liykal
11/10/18

I never post angry reviews on social media, the guys at Houzz have really tried my patience. The website is unsecure trash: my account was hacked on 10/20/2018, with $1000 worth of random goods placed on it. This is the first time it ever happened to me after years of shopping online (and, unfortunately, one time back in 2016 placing something through Houzz, which compromised my personal information). Whoever hacked into my account apparently wasn't very good, because the items got delivered to me. Now the 5 large boxes are sitting in my living room. What have I got in response from Houzz after numerous phone calls so far? One return shipping label (for 5 large boxes), and an email stating the reason for the return as "I changed my mind" and notifying me that the return shipping will be deducted from my refund. They haven't admitted that their database was hacked into, although the apologetic tone on the phone suggested it happens to them frequently. They've made it my responsibility to track them down to resolve this issue (by the way, no self-respecting online retailer has customer support hours of a government office these days, with radio silence on weekends, but that's exactly how Houzz operates). Why should I waste my time driving the boxes to the post office, which I can't even do yet because somehow they fail to understand that 5 large boxes need more than 1 return shipping label? And lastly, why should I ever pay for any "returns"?
So, beware if you have an account with Houzz and have made a purchase with them in the past. Your information can be stolen just like mine was, with Houzz doing very little to resolve the issue.

seanm405
11/6/18

Just a third-party distributor that cares about the sales and not actual customer satisfaction...including if you get your purchase OR NOT. I made a purchase that had an expected delivery window of 10/19 to 11/5. When getting closer to the delivery date, I sent an e-mail through the Houzz platform. Heard nothing back. When I called to cancel my order, customer service seemed unbothered by this. I've cancelled the order and de-activated my account. I may not order the most expensive furniture, but my money is valuable to me. Clearly Houzz doesn't seem to think that my purchases are worth an appropriate response. Take your business elsewhere...Somewhere that appreciates the business of ALL consumers and VALUES your money.

Good question Maggie. I don't think there is. I think this site is just there to help their vendor and not assist consumers in making informed decisions. I found had a contractor who had defrauded us and changed his business name on Houzz. I posted a review on his profile notifying the public of what he had done to us, and Houzz did not publish the review. I joined Sitejabber to warn the public about Houzz.

By James D.

I began as a Pro on Houzz and spent $2000 on Advertising. This was supposedly for a year of top exposure. No one purchased, the couple of calls I received were people wanting to USE my service for ideas. I have since discontinued complimentary initial appointments. These people are the biggest scammers in the world! I'm still one of the Pros just to see if anything bites but I noticed they go into vendors photos and try to find similar product then they sell their products. Great way to sway your client and to steal customers!

By Natalie V.

Go straight to the top at Houzz. Ms. Adi Tatarko, CEO, Alon Cohen, Pres. If tha doesn't work, I suggest you file complaint with the Consumer Affairs Division of the California Attorney General's Office.

By Curtis C.

The Pros, at least at the beginning, were not in competition with this company (Houzz). They convinced the "Designer" world that the were strictly collecting ideas for the public and to help improve the vendors chances of being hired. Those reviews on the Pros are about the Pros, they come from their clients. About 2-3 years ago, Houzz began selling out from under all the vendors! They are SO low they have gone into the photos of the pros, look for a product they have that might be similar to something they sell and lead them away from the pro. The 1-2 stars you see here are the reviews for "Houzz" and their service but the reviews under a Pro are for that Pro. Don't be fooled... If you want the job done right, call the Pro! Listen to these reviews of Houzz and you won't get burned. Two different animals completely!

By Natalie V.

Steer clear. The advertising doesn't work, and although they originally started up as a company that would work alongside the vendors, they are now selling out from under most of them, especially the interiors decorators! They are SO low they have actually tagged products inside some of the photos of interior designers and tabbed out similar products to stay the customer away from the Pro and to purchase through them directly!!!

By Natalie V.

Do yourself a huge favor and find it somewhere else. Houzz contracts with third party sellers and their freight companies, they're just a middle man. What a nightmare this has been.

By Kathleen B.

I finally found it. The phone number for Houzz customer service is 800-368-4268. I just used it and it works.

By Jim H.

Do not order. Avoid!

By Ram S.

I assume so. Every responder addressed matters related to Houzz

By robin f.

why do you want my phone number?

By Patricia V.
Questions? Get answers from the Houzz staff and other customers.

Houzz?