HomeStars.ca

HomeStars.ca has a consumer rating of 2.99 stars from 98 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. HomeStars.ca also ranks 11th among Contractors sites. The most common issues with HomeStars.ca are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently.
  • Mark came to the house (a very professional and caring young man) and determined where the problem was.

• I registered my company with HomeStars from more than 3 & half years.
  • Disgruntled employees are able to pose as customers and leave negative reviews (the investigation link is for show).
How would you rate HomeStars.ca?

“Carpet Cleaning”

Wayne B.
8/31/19

I had Oscar from Home Depot 126th Ave. S.E, Calgary, AB over to clean my carpets on 08/27/19. Oscar was on time, did a fantastic job. Very nice guy to deal with, very friendly and knowledgeable. Recommended and will use again inf the future.

“False advertising, they protect criminal...”

Bob C.
8/28/19

Buyer beware when using Homestars. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. The credentials contractors provide on HomeStars is NOT 100% ACCURATE. Contractors said to be Better Business Bureau accreddited ARE NOT ALL BBB members. HomeStars also knowingly keeps up contractor posts for companies that are fraudulent. One company in particular has been sued by several national banks and home owners, and has fled. His company website has been removed, his company registration has been revoked and removed, he fled his leased home and took his leased truck. Several people have posted about this individual, and HomeStars has made an effort to REMOVE those posts WARNING OTHERS not to get ripped off by this guy. All of my posts also warning others were removed and I was 'reminded of HomeStars stringent and honest and holier than though guidelines' when posting. They also state confidentiality reasons in preventing users from contacting each other in hopes of coordinating efforts to sue the jerk who ran off with all our money, to PROTECT the 'criminal' err I mean the contractor and other users and their identity. I'm sure they'll come back with a bunch of stuff about how I tried to post my email so the other person could contact me or how I basically said that the guy did not finish our project, never took out a permit, had us unknowingly sign a fake contract, and then took off with an unsafe structure with our money, using some fake excuse about his mother having cancer and dying (while he worked on several other projects and took their money too, before fleeing the city). His mother does not have cancer. But apparently HomeStars wants legal documents (none of their business) and other PROOF of our accusations before even CONSIDERING taking down an advertisement for a company that does not exist, portraying credentials that do not exist, and have deleted all the countless bad reviews that would have lowered his rating to a point where their own guidelines would have forced them to remove his profile. Until his paid subscription runs out HomeStars has no reason to remove a paying contractors ad from their site.

company (35) reviews (34) work (34) 10 score (4) convertible heating (4) bottom line (3) problem (8)
lynnb128
March 16th, 2018
I hired two companies based on glowing HomeStars reviews. Both of them were terrible. My bathroom renovators had to come back 6 times and things are still not fixed. The plumber overcharged me then did complete my plumbing up to code. I had to have it redone by another company who didn't have a great review but was amazing and reliable. I won't be using them again.
paulr3
November 1st, 2009
Homestars takes money from contractors for listing their services which gives them a vested interest in getting listings listed regardless of the track record of a particular contractor. In short, Homestars does nothing to protect the homeowner from unscrupulous contractors and therefore they cannot be trusted. I know, I have been defrauded of 15,000 dollars by a contractor who paid for a listing on Homestars. Steer clear of Trevor Augustyn, owner of Hawthorne kitchen Design.
mj108
October 8th, 2015
We subscribed to a three month contract with Homestars, at which time we were to receive a call to from our rep to discuss options of continuing our service. in the meantime we were also to receive thankyou cards in the mail from Homestars to promote reviews and to post to our profile throughout the three months we received four emails confirming that the cards would be sent to us, but we never received the cards. We did not receive any calls from our rep prior or even after the three months, subsequently we were billed for the fourth month. It took an additional month of numerous calls and emails to the rep and our Homestars consultant to finally receive our refund. We ask our customers and in those three months we did not have one call come in from our Homestars website.
In our opinion they are eager to get you onboard, but once you are committed to , we did not think our monthly payment of 210.00 was working using Homestars.
clifft15
March 25th, 2018
We have been with them, paying, for 2 years. When we first started they were great. Now that they have been bought out they have been getting suckier and suckier. Not because their rates are sky rocketing. If I get $5 for every $1 I spend with them it's still works. It's their customer service that is frustrating me the most. Although, I did hear the them at a banquet stating that we (the contractors) are not their customers, it's the homeowners.

They no longer answer the phones when we call, it goes to voicemail. They refuse to communicate in the manner that is convenient to us when we need to speak with our rep directly. Disgruntled employees are able to pose as customers and leave negative reviews (the investigation link is for show). Job leads are not evenly distributed. We have a great rating (98%) and we know people with less ratings in our field and we compare notes. They are getting leads almost daily while we were not.

Honestly, Homestars was a crucial stepping stone to getting our business going. But with these new price changes, unfair distribution of leads, and poor customer service now, I could not recommend another company to sign up with them.

I used to be proud to be part of HS, but now I'm looking for an escape route. If things stayed the same and they raised their prices, fine, I wouldn't like it but we would manage.
justiniang
December 27th, 2018
i have been a contractor with home stars for 7 years and have slowly watched their service diminish. Not only are contractors charged to be on the system, but also charged to access leads. this double dipping this is no good for hard working service providers.
the second major issue is with their review process, the management of this system is arbitrary and not as strong as they say it is, we have a mid 90% ranking and yet still we get false or extortionist reviews that are not pulled off after extensive work on our part proving the inaccuracy of the review, on the flip side we have reviews that are a 10 for work we did not even complete. We also have clients that honestly review us and the review is never added to the site and tried another review that was from a false customer and it was let on the site. I no longer have faith in their system to accurately represent our customers opinions of our work. Negative reviews from log ago are weighted to heavily and continue to affect out business dealing with new clients

I do not recommend at 600$ a month this is a good investment for starting business and exsisting business have to stay on our all the review equity built is gone.

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives the scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500.00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Hi support

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

With over 146 home improvement service categories in Canada, you can connect with a reputable home professional that will get the job done on HomeStars.

lesliea18
Leslie A.
Typically does not respond to reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeStars.ca?

Have a question about HomeStars.ca?