HomeStars.ca

HomeStars.ca has a consumer rating of 3.43 stars from 117 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. HomeStars.ca also ranks 10th among Contractors sites. The most common issues with HomeStars.ca are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 40.9%

• Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently.

• The more a company pays them, the better their reviews.
  • They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up.
How would you rate HomeStars.ca?

“Very Happy With My New Bathroom Reno!”

Brenda M.
6/29/20

My out-dated 70's lime green bathroom needed to go, so I called a couple companies and decided to go with City Works. Their quote was fair, and also, I felt very comfortable with the Technicians who came out and took measurements, and gave me different options. The job was completed 3 days prior to their projected completion day, and the finished job is perfect! I am so happy with my new bathroom, and want to recommend City Works to everyone.

“Consumer beware”

Don K.
8/15/20

I have been reading Homestar's reviews on various services for years prior to hiring anyone and have come to the conclusion that they mostly only print positive reviews and ignore the negative ones as they accept payment from these suppliers. Hired a roofing contractor a few years back which had 100% positive reviews on Homestar. Ended with a disaster installation. Seemed that other contractors I had hired were very well aware of the dismal reputation that the roofing contractor had within the construction trades. Recently placed a negative review regarding a kitchen refinishing company which only stated facts. Was not printed.

company (43) reviews (39) work (39) 10 score (4) convertible heating (4) customer service (4) job (36) 2 years (3) bottom line (3) problem (8)
alberte51
June 17th, 2020
I bought a Lennox EL16XC from Mersay Heating and Cooling. The salesman told me it was large, but should have made me aware that it was too large for the area it was going into. I told them it was unacceptable and was then told it could be changed for the EL XC13, which I agreed to and was told that they have one in stock. After taking out the old unit and them installing new coolant, I noticed that the new air conditioner was the Merit series 13ACX. Not something I wanted. Had they made we aware of this I would have cancelled the order. The model I wanted was on back order and could take anywhere from 3 to 10 weeks to get. So I had to settle for the Merit Series. Suffice to say that I am disappointed with my experience with Mersey.

Albert Elliott
lynnb128
March 16th, 2018
I hired two companies based on glowing HomeStars reviews. Both of them were terrible. My bathroom renovators had to come back 6 times and things are still not fixed. The plumber overcharged me then did complete my plumbing up to code. I had to have it redone by another company who didn't have a great review but was amazing and reliable. I won't be using them again.
justiniang
December 27th, 2018
I have been a contractor with home stars for 7 years and have slowly watched their service diminish. Not only are contractors charged to be on the system, but also charged to access leads. This double dipping this is no good for hard working service providers.
The second major issue is with their review process, the management of this system is arbitrary and not as strong as they say it is, we have a mid 90% ranking and yet still we get false or extortionist reviews that are not pulled off after extensive work on our part proving the inaccuracy of the review, on the flip side we have reviews that are a 10 for work we did not even complete. We also have clients that honestly review us and the review is never added to the site and tried another review that was from a false customer and it was let on the site. I no longer have faith in their system to accurately represent our customers opinions of our work. Negative reviews from log ago are weighted to heavily and continue to affect out business dealing with new clients

I do not recommend at 600$ a month this is a good investment for starting business and exsisting business have to stay on our all the review equity built is gone.
clifft15
March 25th, 2018
We have been with them, paying, for 2 years. When we first started they were great. Now that they have been bought out they have been getting suckier and suckier. Not because their rates are sky rocketing. If I get $5 for every $1 I spend with them it's still works. It's their customer service that is frustrating me the most. Although, I did hear the them at a banquet stating that we (the contractors) are not their customers, it's the homeowners.

They no longer answer the phones when we call, it goes to voicemail. They refuse to communicate in the manner that is convenient to us when we need to speak with our rep directly. Disgruntled employees are able to pose as customers and leave negative reviews (the investigation link is for show). Job leads are not evenly distributed. We have a great rating (98%) and we know people with less ratings in our field and we compare notes. They are getting leads almost daily while we were not.

Honestly, Homestars was a crucial stepping stone to getting our business going. But with these new price changes, unfair distribution of leads, and poor customer service now, I could not recommend another company to sign up with them.

I used to be proud to be part of HS, but now I'm looking for an escape route. If things stayed the same and they raised their prices, fine, I wouldn't like it but we would manage.
mj108
October 8th, 2015
We subscribed to a three month contract with Homestars, at which time we were to receive a call to from our rep to discuss options of continuing our service. In the meantime we were also to receive thankyou cards in the mail from Homestars to promote reviews and to post to our profile throughout the three months we received four emails confirming that the cards would be sent to us, but we never received the cards. We did not receive any calls from our rep prior or even after the three months, subsequently we were billed for the fourth month. It took an additional month of numerous calls and emails to the rep and our Homestars consultant to finally receive our refund. We ask our customers and in those three months we did not have one call come in from our Homestars website.
In our opinion they are eager to get you onboard, but once you are committed to, we did not think our monthly payment of 210.00 was working using Homestars.
paulr3
November 1st, 2009
Homestars takes money from contractors for listing their services which gives them a vested interest in getting listings listed regardless of the track record of a particular contractor. In short, Homestars does nothing to protect the homeowner from unscrupulous contractors and therefore they cannot be trusted. I know, I have been defrauded of 15,000 dollars by a contractor who paid for a listing on Homestars. Steer clear of Trevor Augustyn, owner of Hawthorne kitchen Design.

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed Contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives The scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500. 00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Hi support

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

With over 146 home improvement service categories in Canada, you can connect with a reputable home professional that will get the job done on HomeStars.

lesliea18
Leslie A.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeStars.ca?

Have a question about HomeStars.ca?