Review of HomeAdvisor

Golden, Colorado 80401, US
partnerships@homeadvisor.com

arts79
1/14/19

I own a small HVAC business and was looking for some additional ways to build my customer base. Through email solicitation I decided to give HomeAdvisor a call. Salesperson Chris Armstrong signed me up on that one call with a $280 annual "membership" and stated that we can cancel any time if not happy! Leads started to come in at around $26 per lead and the first 3 customers told me that they never requested anyone to call, nor do they have a need for HVAC service. One lady told me that she lives in another state! The rest of the phone numbers (about 4) would drop the call when dialed or not answer at all. After 9 fake leads, time spent on the phones trying to contact the potential customers, frustration among my office staff, I decided to cancel the "membership" and asked the accounts retention rep. Mrs. Perrington to refund my money. She stated that I am 1 day late and there will be no refunds of any kind!!!
STAY AWAY or YOU MAY LOSE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!!!!!
***********TOTAL SCAM************

mikeb848
1/14/19

I have been a contractor on Home Advisor. I would say 80% of the leads you receive and have to pay for don't answer or call back. 19% that answer say their information was stolen, that they never signed up to receive any calls, and that it is a scam! Usually they are extremely upset to be getting called. That leads us to the 1% that might actually need work done. I wonder where Home Advisor gets peoples information? It's not right if they are actually stealing homeowners' information so that we the contractors have to pay for a lead.

donc223
1/12/19

You've seen the commercials on TV all your home improvement needs call HomeAdvisor any contractor anytime call and hundreds of ads but nowhere in the a does it tell the consume that when they click the button on HomeAdvisor for a contractor that it cost a contractor money. This is the reason why we get so many leads consumers looking for prices. The leads are unqualified

tammyc170
1/12/19

Home Advisor is unreasonable and unwilling to resolve issues. I have tried to cancel several times within the year and they will not. I have had a very tragic year with family losses and then I fell and broke my arm so I could not work. They will put your leads on hold and if you forget to call back they start charging g for leads that you do t even authorize they will also offer 5 free leads. My company was then charged for the leads, which is apparently the scam Home Advisor runs. When you
dispute the charges, the organization refuses to refund them. They hit me $700.00 + in unauthorized charges. However my credit card was compromised and they cannot charge the card on file but now they are threatening me for collections.
I have not even gotten any of theses leads because I closed the business after I broke my arm. Look at all the reviews please beware.

earlc43
1/11/19

I clicked interested on a LEAD then was Billed $37.25 for LEAD customer reneged on that they did themselves. Live CHAT with HA agent only to be told (to bad) once customer excepts we're responsible. Not sure who drums up $$ amounts they charge but totally screwed over. I removed my company from them and want nothing to do with them again!!

miken272
1/11/19

I signed up with Home Advisor because I was cold-called by a sales person from the company. It sounded like a good idea if my business ever slowed down. I thought I could turn it on when I needed it, but their app only allows you to "pause" the service for two days and then it automatically turns on, meaning I get charged for leads that I don't need and I'm not ready for.

Searching for my business online now shows me under home advisor with "unlicensed contractor" in the title of my business. I'm a handyman and don't need a contractor's license for the work I do. This is obviously poor advertisement.

I've called multiple times to have my listing removed and they keep telling me it will be removed, yet it still shows up on their website and google searches for my business/

Before I realized that this was not a service I was interested in, I had already passed their pathetic 3 day cancellation window. They took my hard-earned money and gave me nothing of value in return. I could not be more disappointed. I can't imagine ever treating my own customers this way.

I would not recommend this service to anyone, especially a small business. Grow your business organically. Doing good work will keep you busy through referrals. You don't need this.

wards18
1/9/19

Home Advisor has begun sending me old leads where the work has been completed for sometime. Or they are bogus, the people are not the associated with the phone number or never request a call or contact because do not need the service. I spent over $15,000 last year with them, so I not a newbie with Home Advisor. When I call for help, credit, review of each bad lead, I get turned down no credit just charged to my credit card. Home Advisor had begun scamming me and this why I write this Review. Dont throw your money away if you are a contractor. None of the last 20 leads where legit and I only received credit for 3 where the number was disconnected.

manageb
1/6/19

Theres people using your company for scamming leader once again allowing scam artist like this to make you company look bad please check the south ozone park area some scum bag hear has nothing better to do but harrass a woman. Pure Peeping Tom alert women be aware and alert.

jerrys297
1/6/19

Home Advisor is unreasonable and unwilling to resolve any complaints.
Home Advisor representatives, Henry Knauer, offered 2 free leads, Josh Lent, offered
3 free leads and Betty, a supervisor in their Business Customer Care Department
offer 5 free leads. My company was then charged for the leads, which is
apparently the scam Home Advisor runs, then charges you for the leads. When you
dispute the charges, the organization refuses to refund them. They hit my
company for over $700.00 in unauthorized charges.

I am told all of my conversations with HomeAdvisor have
been recorded. This is public notification for HomeAdvisor to maintain all recordings
in anticipation of future litigation.

elenab64
1/1/19

I hired Shine Home Cleaning services in Utah and it was very dissapointing. I broke my leg and I needed help cleaning my home, so I checked Home Advisors in the hope that I can find the right help. The reviews looked legit, however Shine Home Cleaning services from Utah were expensive $385 for a deep home cleaning and $150 for a bi-weekly cleaning, not up to par, argumentative when I showed what they need to do better next time, no show as per schedule, broke a blind and put it together with clear tape to hide it, while they pushed to give them my home keys to clean when I was not home (which I found it awkard). Then I found out that friends can fake services and write reviews. From now on I will go with cleaning services companies and not use Home Advisors as I can't trust the companies they list on their website.

massimob9
12/31/18

So thanks to this loser cheating site my customer got screwed. I've had customers for years that call me even if a weed grows from a new spot. So my customer calls me for a siding job, i give her the price and surprisingly haven't heard back from her. So i give her a follow up call and she says my price was way more than what home advisor says its worth on their website. WHAT? HOME ADVISOR dictates prices now?Sure OKAY..... 3 weeks later her husband calls me and says he has an emergency. The emergency was they hired a Home Advisor bum that was using staples to install siding...Yes staples to install siding.. 1 inch staples none the less. So this review is more of a F>U Home Advisor for destroying our industry putting out claims of how cheap work should be. If your sending desperate dogs out to do a cheap job then go right ahead and sell cheap $#*! work without falsely advertising folks are getting the best in town for half the price, but - do not for a minute think you can tell people that a good job costs half of what its worth. These people got played while this scam company probably made $200 off sending dumb asses to them. AND BTW HOW EXACTLY DOES HOME ADVISOR VET CONTRACTORS? WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE- DID YOU GO OUT AND CHECK PAST JOBS FOR QUALITY? DIDNT THINK SO BUT YOU'LL BULL$#*! ON TV THAT YOU COMPLETELY VET JUNKIES

bobn98
12/31/18

I submitted an online form looking for a gutter cleaning service after not being able to get callbacks from anyone. They called me said hold while I connect you directly to the contractor. When they did it went right into voicemail...exactly what happened when I called them. What is the point of this service?? Phone Operators went out in the early 90s and that is all this thing is.

robertm1315
12/29/18
• Updated review

We finally received our full refund of $287.99, from Home Advisor, Thursday, December 27, 2018.
We don't advise anyone to use Home Advisor.
Don't pay anyone for "leads".
Took a lot of jumping through hoops to get our refund. They would've given us more grief if we hadn't requested it within 3 business days.
It will be a lot harder for those of you fighting for refunds due to their bad business practices, bogus leads, and bogus charges, but stick with it and use the contact info from our original review and updates.

“Latest update”
12/25/18
• Previous review

This is the latest update to our issue with Home Advisor that has been going on since Monday, Decent 10, 2018:
Wednesday, December 19, 2018, I called IAC Corporate Headquarters, 212-314-7300, which is the parent company of Home Advisor, as well as Match.com, and many other companies. I, of course, asked for the CEO, Joey Levin. When his assistant asked about the issue, she connected me to the operator, (person answering and routing incoming calls) to connect me with Home Advisor. BUT, I explained to him that I already spoke with Home Advisor and they would not help me. He took down all info and said he would send it up to someone who could help.
The next day, Thursday, December 20, 2018, I received a call from IAC Headquarters. The woman was very nice. She said that the account was canceled and refund was requested, but, could take 30-45 days. When I questioned that, she said there are 3 steps for refunds. It gets submitted and sent to manager for review. After it's reviewed a decision is made, then refund is sent. I asked her why I need a review and that the other woman days she had the authority and would take 36 hours. She said she didn't know why I was told that. BUT, looking at the case, we were eligible for full refund BECAUSE we requested within 3 business days. I asked her about the horror stories of others. She said they weren't within 3 business days and had to go through the "review".Anyway, The next day, Friday, December 22, 2018 we received an email from Molly Russell. She said the expedited our refund, and if we don't have it by January 3, 2019, we are to email Corinne Kimpton. I hope this information can help those of you who did not cancel in "3 business days", and are still stuck in the "review" process due to other issues with the bad way Home Advisor handles and charges for so called leads. Stick with it. Contact IAC. We will update accordingly.

“Still no refund”
12/20/18
• Previous review

This is an update to our previous review that was written on December 11, 2018. It was posted on December 16, 2018:
I had to file a claim with my bank against the Home Advisor transaction. They said it can take up to 45 days. I also started to file a complaint online with the BBB. This is the message that comes up: (in case anyone wishes to use the contact info )

"HomeAdvisor has requested that before filing a BBB inquiry, consumers contact them directly at:
mrussell@homeadvisor.com or ckimpton@homeadvisor.com where you can reach their designated customer contacts Molly Russell and Corinne Kimpton. The business has stated that they are dedicated to resolving consumer complaints.
Please understand that you can file a complaint with the BBB now or at any time during this process. It is our hope that HomeAdvisor will resolve this situation for you in an expedient manner."

So, I emailed them. I told the woman I would wait until this Thursday before finishing the complaint. I will update you all again Friday.

“BEWARE of Home Advisor!”
• Previous review

My name is Brenda Brunner. Home Advisor kept calling my husband continuously! This past Monday they called him while he was very busy rushing to finish a job. He told them he had to talk to me first and would not have any funds available until Friday. Dan then told him to just give the CC info and then it will be set up and ready on Friday. I knew nothing of this. They called that evening and I answered. When he asked for my husband, I asked for his name. He said Dan, from Home Advisor. I said we can't afford your service, please remove us from your list. My husband didn't mention his prior conversation with Dan that day. Maybe he assumed, now, that Dan would have his answer and know that we do not want their service. The next day, Tuesday, I got online to balance bank account, as usual, and found a withdrawal for $287.99 from Home Advisor! I immediately called the bank and was told that it was still pending and after it finished posting we could file fraud charges. I called my husband who then told me about his conversation with Dan and that it was to be on this coming Friday. I then called Home Advisor and was connected with Eric, a manager. He apologized and tried to talk me into the service adding that the person that handles refunds only communicates through email, so it can take a few days. He told me he would work on it and call me by 9:20 am Wednesday. Since we were now low in money in the account, I transferred money to cover our insurance payments that were due to come out. I did not receive the call as promised from Eric. At Around 11:00 am I called and left a message for him. Then I checked our bank account again and saw 4 OD charges, Totaling $156! I called and left another message for Eric and called the bank, who told me to call the fraud department. I did from my cell. As I was speaking to the bank rep on speakerphone, Eric called on my other number, so I put him on speakerphone also. I told Eric about being on recorded line with bank. He got his supervisor. She told me I was being recorded and I told her she was also by the bank. She promised a refund. The bank said if she would say that they made a mistake, the bank would give back the OD charges. She said it was NOT a mistake, that my husband agreed. I asked to hear the recording. She said she didn't have it but said "it sounded like him and he said the money's there so go ahead". My husband had a witness (worker with him) to the conversation. PLUS, Dan and Eric both admitted fault! The bank said they could dispute the charge as being "processed earlier than agreed", but it would take awhile. They offered to give back the fees as a courtesy but that would use up any courtesy we may need in the future. I agreed, so they gave back the $156 immediately. He also said if we don't get our refund as promised, we can still file against Home Advisor. We STILL have not received the refund. Sorry for the long story, but, I hope it helps prevent others from going through this. STAY AWAY FROM HOME ADVISOR! You should never have to pay to get a job, or to get a credit check on yourself!

kevinb658
12/29/18

The worst company to get leads from!!! They took me for $400 in leads that I did not want do to HomeAdvisor activated my account without my permission!!! DONT get involved with HomeAdvisor!!! They will screw you over!!!

chrisg487
12/29/18

As a contractor this site is horrible. The leads are damn near useless. That is largely due to the fact that Homeadvisor takes absolutely not interest in educating the customer. They simply want a quick turn around to charge contractors for leads. People by and large have no idea - specifically - of what they are looking for so something like switching out a toilet is remodel lead. Nor does Homeadvisor let them know that the requests for a response go out immediately. So the customer is floored when they are inundated with 5-10 contractors calling at 10pm at night! Or when the customer is just curious to get prices for a future project and they are budgeting we receive no revenue yet still have to pay for leads.....at least that is the case with plumbers.
On the customer side of things: I know plenty of people that go to the website and search for roofers or curtain repairs and they don't get any response back from contractors. The site is less than useless on both sides of the equation.

stanleyc65
12/23/18

Joined this company thinking have some leads would fill in the slow periods between jobs. But it turned out, my slow periods were being consumed by have to call them for credits on leads that were not creditable. Being on hold for 30 to 60 minutes or more. They did not care if the customer not answer the phone, or suprise a contractor is calling "i did not want to hire anyone, just a price", or no response form customer at all.
Garbage leads and only lies for the sales people and customner service
I spent way to much money for leads that were garbage, stay away from this company.
Sooner or later it will all catch up with them.

maddys13
12/23/18

The promises Home advisor makes seem too good to be true. They are! We paid over $900 over the course of two months. We received close to 20 leads, even with our leads turned off. Out of all these leads only 2 led to an actual estimate. The rest of the leads either never answered/replied or were totally irrelevant to the kind of work our company does. I.e. someone wanting us to TEACH them how to build their own shower. At first we flagged these and got the lead fees credited back to our. However, after the 3rd return of fees Home Advisor got greedy and refused to the reimburse for the rest of the obviously counterfeit leads. Despite us following their guidelines calling, emailing, and texting the customer as instructed. This website is a scam and huge waste of money.

moritzw
12/21/18

Just dont use it, do Yelp, Angislist in extreme case, you will simply loose your money with homeadvisor

jessic17
12/17/18

Signing up with HomeAdvisor has literally been the worst business decision I've ever made! They lie, don't give you credit when they say they will, send bogus leads but charge charge charge your credit card! You get a lead that is also sent to several other contractors and then it's a race to call the potential customer! All the contractors get changed the lead fee whether youbtalk to the customer or not. I had one "lead" from a woman looking for a job and she only spoke Spanish. She wasn't even in America!!! And they still would not give me the money back because when they call the number provided, no one answers! Are you kidding me??? They probably sent this bogus information to 5 ppl, chanred $40 to each person, and won't give anyone their money back. The worst business practice ever unless they are in the business to scam small business owners, which is exactly what they are doing! Small business owners, STAY AWAY!! I'm going to the BBB and seeing how I can get in on this class action lawsuit against them! I advise you do the same if you have been robbed like me!!!

miguels87
12/17/18

I do not recommend Home Advisor to anybody or any contractors.They are total scammers.They are full of lies and steal your money.Watch out,do not give them your credit card number or else you will be ripped off of your account in less than a month.The leads they offer cost $87 per lead.When you contact with home owners and go to check out the job.The job was only to fix four bathroom tiles,which will not cost more than $50 to do the job.But they already charge you $87.I spent so far with them 1,100.I haven't made not even a single dollar for me.The leads they send you are not serious jobs.They just try to get your money When you ask them to get your credit back they proclaim that they cannot refond credit.If you get some calls from them just ignore their calls.If you don't like throwing money away for no reason I do not recommend this company to anybody.

yamicap
12/16/18

I wasn't going to even bother with writing about my absolutely horrible experience with Home Advisor, but they won't leave me alone, so here it is. I signed my company up with them shortly after I went into business. I didn't care for their terrible standard operating procedures, so I canceled my membership within 4 months of paying for it. 2 months later, I receive a threatening letter about paying for charges incurred AFTER I canceled. I called them to straighten it out, but surprise-surprise, they suck at straightening things out. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with them and at the end of the phone call, I was assured that my account had been canceled, "we're sorry, blah blah blah". I considered that the end of things and went on my way. To this day, I am STILL receiving unsolicited leads on an account that is supposed to be disabled/inactive/canceled/dead. To say I'm frustrated would be a gross understatement. At this point, I probably have high blood pressure due their incompetence. I can't fathom how they remain in business. If you are a small business owner in the construction or home improvement industry, do not - I repeat - DO NOT waste your time or your money with these fools. There's a reason why you can't leave a Google review about them.

robertk577
12/16/18

I am an architect. I thought it would be a way to get more leads on jobs, but it turned out to be poor leads and charges for leads I didn't want. After a week, I was charged almost $500 in 3 days for leads I did not want and did not even realize I was being charged. They fail to tell you how their system works, over charge, and don't refund.

kates207
12/14/18

Beware of this scam! I've been a pro customer for two years, and had my leads off for the last year. They can only turn off your leads for three months IF you can even get someone on the phone to do that. Customer service hold times are a joke! But they WILL answer right away when they think you are a customer calling for services...this IS the only way you will reach someone. Customer service reps are rude most of the time and always tell you that they are number one when you have a complaint. You can just read through all other complaints about leads because they are true. This company steals your hard earned money anyway they can.
I know this from the other prospective as well. I had an email from Sears about windows, I clicked on it because at the time I needed windows. I thought I'd see what deals Sears was having for windows at the time. Next thing I know, I'm getting all these calls from window companies trying to schedule me for an estimate! I didn't go to the HomeAdvisor website and request this! I had to tell these companies that they better ask HomeAdvisor for their money back because I did not request the service! They will do anything to get a part of the money to include not answering their customer service line and sneaking your info to other companies to send leads out and collect money.

mariannev5
12/13/18

Don't bother! They'll send you contractors who are scammers. I learned too late- got ripped off by a landscaping group- the worst ever!!

willieb60
12/13/18

Why do you have an option to check of, I am not ready to be contacted but want to see who the contractors are and I get called anyway. Then I get a hard sell and a whining of I am getting charged a referral fee be cause of Home Advisor's incompetence.

We had a similar experience when first trying Home advisor out. They kept taking money out of our account arbitrarily. I finally had to file stop payment forms at my bank. Then they threatened us with extra fees unless we "settled" our account. We have strict DTPA laws (deceptive trade practice act) in our state. I advised we complain to our Attorney General about this. I think home advisor should be banned in our state because of this fraud.

By M G.

YES, IT IS A TOTAL RIPOFF! Place local ads. Don't pay for contact info that is bought and sold to many. They attach all words that could describe your business, and when sometime types one of those words in a web browser, your name pops up. If they happen to click on it, they have to enter there info to read about what popped up.. YOU get sold that info, and are charged for it whether these people want to be contacted or not, even if you don't reach them. Because, to HA, it is a lead.

By Robert B.

If they are sending the lead to 4-5 others plus tirekickers plus the directory they can choose from you are not going to get 20% lmao unless you are in a very high demand low contractors market.

By Byron B.

LIE, LIE, LIE!!! We canceled the same day they took the money out of the account. They said it was canceled immediately and promised a refund. The conversation was also recorded by our bank (2 speakerphones) It's been a week and still no refund. Just filed claim against them with our bank. The bank was kind enough to give back the $156 in overdraft charges that happened because of this.

By Robert B.

They don't need to accept advertising money. They are ripping off contractors for fake and bogus leads AS REGULAR COURSE OF BUSINESS. Any contractor that signs up with these people WILL NOT GET viable leads but will be charged for them anyway.

By Kevin A.

Questions? Get answers from the HomeAdvisor staff and other customers.

HomeAdvisor?