HomeStars.ca

HomeStars.ca has a consumer rating of 2.99 stars from 98 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. HomeStars.ca also ranks 11th among Contractors sites. The most common issues with HomeStars.ca are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently.
  • Mark came to the house (a very professional and caring young man) and determined where the problem was.

• I registered my company with HomeStars from more than 3 & half years.
  • Disgruntled employees are able to pose as customers and leave negative reviews (the investigation link is for show).
How would you rate HomeStars.ca?

“Homestars is great!”

Tracy O.
3/17/14

Homestars is great! They review and edit the reviews- to ensure no profane language is used- and if there is a deep discretion- as I have encountered, they contact both parties to discuss the issues. I am a professional and have a business- my reviews are from my clients. Homestars has helped my business. Unsure why others are having issues- it is a straightforward service. Continue on Homestars!

“Homestars re-sells leads to competition”

kayum h.
2/24/18

I'm a contractor listed on Homestars. I've just found that if a customer tries to contact me through their website, Homestars will automatically sell the lead onto my competition. The customer has to opt out to avoid getting calls from unknown contractors. They sent out a mass email stating that they didn't sell leads from paid profiles but they do and anybody can prove it.

company (35) reviews (34) work (34) 10 score (4) convertible heating (4) bottom line (3) problem (8)
jacobm115
August 27th, 2018
I dont get any results from home stars its as if they already have there go to companies and like to filter all the leads to them as they probably pay alot more for the service.

im sure if you got in with home stars from the grown up you would be praising them im sure those people are the only ones who really benefit.

since they got new owners its such a scam they no longer care about the small business and helping the little guy grow its all about making max profits and securing their bottom line clearly.

im not going to be that idiot anymore who is giving the CEO free money for nothing.
kayumh
February 24th, 2018
lambost
February 5th, 2019
Home Star allows fake post when I complained about it they said that I opened the site.
Impossible I never heard of home star before they told me I can respond to the fake post.
I said that's not fare they should remove the fake post they told me I should of responded 1 year earlier how could i if I never new it exited?
If they allow not true comments then they are not an ethical company.
If they want to rectify this complaint they can remove the fake post for Canadian Salvaged Timber
when that is done then I would consider changing my comments Until then my comments stand.
louisel75
November 7th, 2018
Homestars is not the independent review portal it represents itself to be. The more a company pays them, the better their reviews. If the price is right, they'll squash poor reviews, post good ones or create amazing ones out of thin air. They are guilty of promoting unethical and criminal contractors.
lucac44
April 17th, 2019
They make you invisible unless you pay them at minimum $250 plus per month. They literally won't let you request reviews, post photos or even your logo unless you pay that much.
On top of that, they advertise your competitors on your own page unless you pay that much.
And then if you want to delete the page you made for your own business, they refuse to remove it.
Absolutely disgusting business.
joer350
June 26th, 2018
Bad experience they keep sending you bad leads all the time and made promises that they cant keep. Stay away and all you need for reviews is google and its efective and free.
ashs39
May 17th, 2019
After 6 months of being with homestars.ca paying $200 a month, we closed 1 small job for $300. Totally pathetic. They sell to as many contractors as they can in your category, thus the few leads that actually come thru get watered down more and more as companies join.
jayb315
January 31st, 2019
Not happy at all. I have been trying to cancel my membership and they do not even respond. I'm forced to cancel my card. They do not produce nearly what they should considering the costs.
rogero44
May 11th, 2019
This company is paid by contractors to advertise their services, therefore it is difficult to post honest, uncomplimentary reviews.
We had poor value from Drake + Khan design who subcontracted to workers whom they did not monitor for quality and the work took very long. There were problems with every area of work that will need to be redone in the near future. You will see glowing reviews for Drake+Khan only.
Home Stars is poor representation if you want consistently good work. Drake and Khan will say, "do not have record" on negative reviews.
seanr149
September 28th, 2019
I started a small company. Joined Homestars on the promise of referrals. What a joke! You cannot get any referrals until you have had reviews!
Once I learnt that, I tried repeatedly to cancel. All I kept getting is that you are locked in for one year! As far as I am concerned, for a company that is all about "customer service", their ability to understand and assist the people that pay them is less than zero!

Tip for consumers: Avoid them if you are a new business!,,

wayneb232
August 31st, 2019
I had Oscar from Home Depot 126th Ave. S.E, Calgary, AB over to clean my carpets on 08/27/19. Oscar was on time, did a fantastic job. Very nice guy to deal with, very friendly and knowledgeable. Recommended and will use again inf the future.
lynnb128
March 16th, 2018
I hired two companies based on glowing HomeStars reviews. Both of them were terrible. My bathroom renovators had to come back 6 times and things are still not fixed. The plumber overcharged me then did complete my plumbing up to code. I had to have it redone by another company who didn't have a great review but was amazing and reliable. I won't be using them again.
igork49
November 9th, 2018
Homestars did not publish my negative review on
Convertible heating and Air Conditioning, who
promise to install Humidifier, but refuse to do so
neilp72
October 8th, 2019
Jason from Ambitech home comfort was great, five stars all the way!. Had him replace my furnace and a/c recently as both went on me. Was recommended from a friend of a friend. He came out right away and took care of us, replacing both units at a great price. My wife and I liked the fact that he returned phones that were made to him( not chasing) and that he was very helpful. Would highly recommend Jason to install anything that is needed. Thanks again.
hansf25
July 17th, 2019
Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. installed our new AC, gas furnace and thermostat in a timely and efficient manner. They even came up quickly with solutions for installing the furnace in the small cramped space of our basement. The furnace, AC and new thermostat were installed within a day's working hours, with everything tested, the old equipment removed, and the work area cleaned up.
mikef387
May 24th, 2019
I was referred to Rolando at Olympia Town Aluminum to do my windows I contacted him and he came over that same day to measure and give me a quoted. His quality of work and detail to installing were amazing. After install he walked me through what he did and how he did it. If you are looking for a reliable window person and siding Rolando is your guy I would recommend him to anybody.
danielg432
June 9th, 2019
Cornice Trim Ltd. installed crown moulding along with chair rail and boxing underneath at our home. They were very quick ( all in one day ), neat and conscientious. They did a superb job and I would highly recommend them to anyone wishing to upgrade their home by adding some decorative moulding.
joeo28
October 4th, 2016
i had a recent review posted with home stars regarding the bad practices of a local kitchen cabinet manufacturer,the review was removed completely by home stars, my guess is the paying company complained and to avoid losing income,home stars removed the review. its all about profits with this company. please don't waste your time writing or reading reviews with this company.
amarb
May 6th, 2018
Spiros Roofing came same day and replaced the shingles which came off the roof due to Friday's storm. They were extremely busy but they came asap to help me and were very courteous.
I shall use them again without hesitation.
Amar Banerjee
12 Victoria Ave. Unionville
debbieg171
January 28th, 2019
I have always had excellent service by this company. In particular, I always ask for Raymond Wong. He is thorough, explains everything so well and cleans up. He is there at the appointed time. Great service.
philg30
April 9th, 2017
I had a small flooring job that would take $200 in materials and perhaps 4 hours labour. One Homestars contractor quoted me $2600 and another $3000!

Absolutely ridiculous quotes - I'd say they were 'go away' prices. If they don't want the small jobs why don't they just say so?
joannem92
April 11th, 2018
Technician Ali K was very professional, pleasant and punctual when performing my furnace inspection, cleaning and tune-up, and offered top notch service and lined up a date for next year's servicing as a 'plus' customer
tonys203
February 5th, 2018
Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently. They arrived on time, did an excellent job with attention to detail, and cleaned up really well after. Their price and warranty are great. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
mohammadq4
May 24th, 2017
I asked Mint Leaf Kitchen Cabinets to give me quote for my investment Property at 148 Town House Cres, Brampton for full work to be completed during the month of February, 2017. They started work and completed in required time promised in the
quotation. When the work was completed it was excellent. Total Invoice was $4746.00
including HST. All work was done by 18th February, 2017. After the work was done,
I refer my friends. Makhan Jadge was very pleasant person and good professional.
I really enjoyed working with him and his workers.

Tip for consumers: I add good tip for others i.e Makhan Jadge telephone #647-764-3152
and can be contacted any professional work, specially Kitchen Cabinets with vanity and Granite & Quartz Counter Tops.

boba41
March 28th, 2015
I really don't put a lot of weight on any review based services online. They are all shady! Homestars actually pays people to add reviews wtihout any kind of verification. Trustedpros isn't any better. I like knackthat.com but they are new and there content is still growing.

Tip for consumers: Homestars can't be trusted. Word of mouth is best or just deal with the facts with a site like knackthat.com and use BBB. Somebody needs to figure out online review because right now they don't work.

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives the scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500.00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Hi support

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

With over 146 home improvement service categories in Canada, you can connect with a reputable home professional that will get the job done on HomeStars.

lesliea18
Leslie A.
Typically does not respond to reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeStars.ca?

Have a question about HomeStars.ca?