Review of HomeStars.ca

Toronto, ON M5V 2J1, CA
Tel: +1-877-488-0312

shanew109
12/12/19
I run a small snow removal company, they called saying they had several leads in our area but since they just launched here they didn't have any other companies on their site to give them to. My partner had heard of Homestars in Toronto and had heard good things so decided to give it a go. None of the leads we got were from before we signed up, we got very few in general and only one that we were actually able to take on. We've been trying to cancel for weeks and all they do is bounce us around from person to person and don't do anything. The also just charged us for another month when we have clearly wanted to cancel our membership.

For a company that is specifically made to help customers find good companies to work with, it's ironic how terrible of a company they are.
neilp72
10/8/19
Jason from Ambitech home comfort was great, five stars all the way!. Had him replace my furnace and a/c recently as both went on me. Was recommended from a friend of a friend. He came out right away and took care of us, replacing both units at a great price. My wife and I liked the fact that he returned phones that were made to him( not chasing) and that he was very helpful. Would highly recommend Jason to install anything that is needed. Thanks again.
seanr149
9/28/19
I started a small company. Joined Homestars on the promise of referrals. What a joke! You cannot get any referrals until you have had reviews!
Once I learnt that, I tried repeatedly to cancel. All I kept getting is that you are locked in for one year! As far as I am concerned, for a company that is all about "customer service", their ability to understand and assist the people that pay them is less than zero!

Tip for consumers: Avoid them if you are a new business!,,

wayneb232
8/31/19
I had Oscar from Home Depot 126th Ave. S.E, Calgary, AB over to clean my carpets on 08/27/19. Oscar was on time, did a fantastic job. Very nice guy to deal with, very friendly and knowledgeable. Recommended and will use again inf the future.
bobc354
8/28/19
Buyer beware when using Homestars. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. The credentials contractors provide on HomeStars is NOT 100% ACCURATE. Contractors said to be Better Business Bureau accreddited ARE NOT ALL BBB members. HomeStars also knowingly keeps up contractor posts for companies that are fraudulent. One company in particular has been sued by several national banks and home owners, and has fled. His company website has been removed, his company registration has been revoked and removed, he fled his leased home and took his leased truck. Several people have posted about this individual, and HomeStars has made an effort to REMOVE those posts WARNING OTHERS not to get ripped off by this guy. All of my posts also warning others were removed and I was 'reminded of HomeStars stringent and honest and holier than though guidelines' when posting. They also state confidentiality reasons in preventing users from contacting each other in hopes of coordinating efforts to sue the jerk who ran off with all our money, to PROTECT the 'criminal' err I mean the contractor and other users and their identity. I'm sure they'll come back with a bunch of stuff about how I tried to post my email so the other person could contact me or how I basically said that the guy did not finish our project, never took out a permit, had us unknowingly sign a fake contract, and then took off with an unsafe structure with our money, using some fake excuse about his mother having cancer and dying (while he worked on several other projects and took their money too, before fleeing the city). His mother does not have cancer. But apparently HomeStars wants legal documents (none of their business) and other PROOF of our accusations before even CONSIDERING taking down an advertisement for a company that does not exist, portraying credentials that do not exist, and have deleted all the countless bad reviews that would have lowered his rating to a point where their own guidelines would have forced them to remove his profile. Until his paid subscription runs out HomeStars has no reason to remove a paying contractors ad from their site.
johnb2943
8/21/19
As a business client of Homestars, we provide the company with a monthly fee to allow customers to search past client reviews, and post their own after having worked with us. The search process is painful, keyword search hardly works, and is not specific to the service of most companies. If you're looking to use Homestars as a means of marketing, don't bother paying for it, use the free version. Since the founders sold the company to a US firm, much has changed, not for the best.
robertv235
8/13/19
Posted a negative review based on our experience with a fence company that worked on our property. They removed it because the owner complained, and we did not have proof of purchase (because it was paid for by the neighbors). Because of this fact there was a portion left unfinished on our property.

Even though we showed Homestars a picture of the completed and uncompleted work, as well as text messages to and from the owner about completion, Homestars would not accept this.

It has been about a month since the company came back and worked on our property to fix this issue, but my review is still "pending moderation". This is even though I have emailed them to have it taken down because the work got finished!

Now I am stuck with an account for this dumb site because they wont let you delete your account.

Homestars will say "if you do not pay for the service you cant review them". Even though they worked on our property, and I felt people should be aware of the issues we had.

If they came over and tore up our lawn and broke things could I give them a review then? What if it was a good review? Would they ask for proof then?

Homestars, deletes bad reviews for the ones that pay to be on their site, and strong arm those that don't pay by altering their reviews.

Do not use, very corrupt, stick to google reviews. If you're a business owner, do NOT put your company on here because you will be on here for life, and you will be forced to pay to get good reviews.
hansf25
7/17/19
Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. installed our new AC, gas furnace and thermostat in a timely and efficient manner. They even came up quickly with solutions for installing the furnace in the small cramped space of our basement. The furnace, AC and new thermostat were installed within a day's working hours, with everything tested, the old equipment removed, and the work area cleaned up.
danielg432
6/9/19
Cornice Trim Ltd. installed crown moulding along with chair rail and boxing underneath at our home. They were very quick ( all in one day ), neat and conscientious. They did a superb job and I would highly recommend them to anyone wishing to upgrade their home by adding some decorative moulding.
jackiew11
5/24/19
This company gives false information as to how they can excel your search engine on your company and bring you leads . We have been paying close to $300 a month Since May and Not once has a customer found our company by searching for a contractor in our industry or service we provide . They give so many lame excuses why it's not working but bottom line it simply did not work and they will not cancel our subscription . In fact last I heard
From this company was 3 months ago when I was promised they would begin a process to cancel our monthly fee and never heard from them since . They don't respond to emails or calls and we get the run around . Do not sign up with them, they will take your money gladly and give nothing in return also ,they don't screen reviews and allow people
Who have no proof of business with your company to make reviews as well. I have given them ample time to follow through and cancel this outrageous monthly cost .if it doesn't soon stop there will be legal ramifications coming their way
mikef387
5/24/19
I was referred to Rolando at Olympia Town Aluminum to do my windows I contacted him and he came over that same day to measure and give me a quoted. His quality of work and detail to installing were amazing. After install he walked me through what he did and how he did it. If you are looking for a reliable window person and siding Rolando is your guy I would recommend him to anybody.
ashs39
5/17/19
After 6 months of being with homestars.ca paying $200 a month, we closed 1 small job for $300. Totally pathetic. They sell to as many contractors as they can in your category, thus the few leads that actually come thru get watered down more and more as companies join.
rogero44
5/11/19
This company is paid by contractors to advertise their services, therefore it is difficult to post honest, uncomplimentary reviews.
We had poor value from Drake + Khan design who subcontracted to workers whom they did not monitor for quality and the work took very long. There were problems with every area of work that will need to be redone in the near future. You will see glowing reviews for Drake+Khan only.
Home Stars is poor representation if you want consistently good work. Drake and Khan will say, "do not have record" on negative reviews.
lucac44
4/17/19
They make you invisible unless you pay them at minimum $250 plus per month. They literally won't let you request reviews, post photos or even your logo unless you pay that much.
On top of that, they advertise your competitors on your own page unless you pay that much.
And then if you want to delete the page you made for your own business, they refuse to remove it.
Absolutely disgusting business.
chrisc898
3/11/19
I have read reviews from others and have to say that I experience the same as those that are extremely unhappy. This company is TOTAL SCAM - and I mean it. The are sending me invites to become their member and to pay monthly between $200 - $700 so I can receive new clients. When I called and spoke to the person who works there only 4 months she could not answer the question - how is it that all these paying members are at 91% - 98% satisfaction. We are in business since 1975 and we service approximately 300/week and 1500/month clients and with help of our office staff we're asking our customers to write review on Homestars and they are not appearing at all or in some cases they are calling our customers to find out work order and/or invoice number for prove to delay the process. But if I was to pay them money they want than there would be no verification and DEFINATELY my score would have been at least 95%. THIS COMPANY IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT CUSTOMER OPINION. THE MORE YOU PAY THEM THE BETTER SCORE YOU HAVE.

Tip for consumers: Found your contractor or service company on googles and NOT THROUGH HomeStars.

lambost
2/5/19
Home Star allows fake post when I complained about it they said that I opened the site.
Impossible I never heard of home star before they told me I can respond to the fake post.
I said that's not fare they should remove the fake post they told me I should of responded 1 year earlier how could i if I never new it exited?
If they allow not true comments then they are not an ethical company.
If they want to rectify this complaint they can remove the fake post for Canadian Salvaged Timber
when that is done then I would consider changing my comments Until then my comments stand.
patrickc313
2/2/19
I was referred to Rafael Lopez from www.homebuild-sa.com to finish my basement. I contacted him and within 20 minutes he contacted me to set up an appointment to review the job. I met him the following week and the next day he provided me with a detailed scope breaking down all the work and material and total cost. The scope of work was detailed in a word document including scheduled payments and a receipt page where all scheduled payments were written and signed by Rafael. He told me the job would take 3 weeks and thats exactly the time it took to complete. Quality of work was absolutely amazing. After each day, all dust and debris was cleaned up so there was no mess. His helper Eliezer is a young man who is a conscientious, hard worker, loyal and dependable. Both Rafael and Eliezer were at my home every day by 8:15 as they said they would be. I live in Burlington and they drove from Scarborough every day.

If you are looking for a reliable, honest, dependable contractor that does superior work, then you should contact Rafael at *******359. You will NOT regret your decision to go with this contractor.
jayb315
1/31/19
Not happy at all. I have been trying to cancel my membership and they do not even respond. I'm forced to cancel my card. They do not produce nearly what they should considering the costs.
debbieg171
1/28/19
I have always had excellent service by this company. In particular, I always ask for Raymond Wong. He is thorough, explains everything so well and cleans up. He is there at the appointed time. Great service.
mohsenf4
1/16/19
HORRIBLE!, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE! THE WORST COMPANY TO EVER DEAL WITH. BEEN TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM FOR weeks, AND THEY CAN NEVER COME UP WITH A STRAIGHT ANSWER FOR HOW RIDICULOUS THEIR ALGORITHM IS.
BEEN CALLING AND LEAVING VOICE MAILS, AND TENS OF EMAILS WITHOUT A SINGLE REPLY.
EACH STAFF MORE INCOMPETENT THEN THE OTHER. IT'S A SHAME FOR THIS COMPANY TO BE JUDGING ANY OTHER COMPANY AND REPRESENTING THEIR REPUTATION.

Yes, they are cheater,they told me before I sign the contract I can cancel my account AT ANYTIME I WANT, and I trust them , I sign and now they told me it's 12 months contract. I am not getting leads from them and my reviews doesn't published.
Not recommended AT ALL.PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY IN THIS FAKE COMPANY.
As a business owner I am very dissatisfied with HomeStars. To any other small business owners looking to use HomeStars. Please note that this is NOT a month-to-month service.
They are locking you into a 12-month minimum contract that you can't get out of. the only think i could do is blocking my credit card to avoid wasting my money to this company.
NEVER EVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM.
justiniang
12/27/18
i have been a contractor with home stars for 7 years and have slowly watched their service diminish. Not only are contractors charged to be on the system, but also charged to access leads. this double dipping this is no good for hard working service providers.
the second major issue is with their review process, the management of this system is arbitrary and not as strong as they say it is, we have a mid 90% ranking and yet still we get false or extortionist reviews that are not pulled off after extensive work on our part proving the inaccuracy of the review, on the flip side we have reviews that are a 10 for work we did not even complete. We also have clients that honestly review us and the review is never added to the site and tried another review that was from a false customer and it was let on the site. I no longer have faith in their system to accurately represent our customers opinions of our work. Negative reviews from log ago are weighted to heavily and continue to affect out business dealing with new clients

I do not recommend at 600$ a month this is a good investment for starting business and exsisting business have to stay on our all the review equity built is gone.
igork49
11/9/18
Homestars did not publish my negative review on
Convertible heating and Air Conditioning, who
promise to install Humidifier, but refuse to do so
louisel75
11/7/18
Homestars is not the independent review portal it represents itself to be. The more a company pays them, the better their reviews. If the price is right, they'll squash poor reviews, post good ones or create amazing ones out of thin air. They are guilty of promoting unethical and criminal contractors.
jacobm115
8/27/18
I dont get any results from home stars its as if they already have there go to companies and like to filter all the leads to them as they probably pay alot more for the service.

im sure if you got in with home stars from the grown up you would be praising them im sure those people are the only ones who really benefit.

since they got new owners its such a scam they no longer care about the small business and helping the little guy grow its all about making max profits and securing their bottom line clearly.

im not going to be that idiot anymore who is giving the CEO free money for nothing.
derekm127
8/10/18
I am a new electrical contractor since I started advertising I was getting many calls from homestars stars promising the world joining them will be the "best decision I'll ever make".
I started a free profile and the leads started coming in .these leads must be paid for $20 here $30 there. A few worked out and I was told if I join for $300 a month my exposure will increase and more leads will come my way so I tried it out. 2 months pass and i get one lead a week . They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up.well being small and new I do not complete dozens of jobs a week. I decide i do not want to continue and cancel my paid membership. The day i cancel i receive 5 leads all worth $40 to view
Nothing has changed with my business except I'm no longer eligible for free leads.
They stuck you in with all kinds of leads and once you see that your better off paying monthly $200+ for free leads they stop coming in and they feed you bull$#*! excuses paying them is a waste of money
Look elsewhere for reviews like Google...

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives the scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500.00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Questions? Get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

9 Photos for HomeStars.ca