Review of HomeStars.ca

Toronto, ON M5V 2J1, CA
Tel: +1-877-488-0312

johnb2943
8/21/19

As a business client of Homestars, we provide the company with a monthly fee to allow customers to search past client reviews, and post their own after having worked with us. The search process is painful, keyword search hardly works, and is not specific to the service of most companies. If you're looking to use Homestars as a means of marketing, don't bother paying for it, use the free version. Since the founders sold the company to a US firm, much has changed, not for the best.

robertv235
8/13/19

Posted a negative review based on our experience with a fence company that worked on our property. They removed it because the owner complained, and we did not have proof of purchase (because it was paid for by the neighbors). Because of this fact there was a portion left unfinished on our property.

Even though we showed Homestars a picture of the completed and uncompleted work, as well as text messages to and from the owner about completion, Homestars would not accept this.

It has been about a month since the company came back and worked on our property to fix this issue, but my review is still "pending moderation". This is even though I have emailed them to have it taken down because the work got finished!

Now I am stuck with an account for this dumb site because they wont let you delete your account.

Homestars will say "if you do not pay for the service you cant review them". Even though they worked on our property, and I felt people should be aware of the issues we had.

If they came over and tore up our lawn and broke things could I give them a review then? What if it was a good review? Would they ask for proof then?

Homestars, deletes bad reviews for the ones that pay to be on their site, and strong arm those that don't pay by altering their reviews.

Do not use, very corrupt, stick to google reviews. If you're a business owner, do NOT put your company on here because you will be on here for life, and you will be forced to pay to get good reviews.

hansf25
7/17/19

Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. installed our new AC, gas furnace and thermostat in a timely and efficient manner. They even came up quickly with solutions for installing the furnace in the small cramped space of our basement. The furnace, AC and new thermostat were installed within a day's working hours, with everything tested, the old equipment removed, and the work area cleaned up.

danielg432
6/9/19

Cornice Trim Ltd. installed crown moulding along with chair rail and boxing underneath at our home. They were very quick ( all in one day ), neat and conscientious. They did a superb job and I would highly recommend them to anyone wishing to upgrade their home by adding some decorative moulding.

jackiew11
5/24/19

Homestars has a policy that a reviewer must prove they had business dealing with a company, yet even when a review admits they didn't, Homestars allows it. Not sure about naming peoples actual names either. I had thought that reviewer would be restrained from giving personal information out but guess not. HAd asked to have it reviewed and 2 days later the review was back up. disgusting. Now all of a sudden my good reviews posted weeks ago are under attack and under review. We are locked in for another 6 months with this scammers, stay away from them and use your hard earned money elsewhere. PRoblem is even after vacating from Homestars this nasty fake review will remain as a stain on our company. The true homeowner in our case says our work was perfect and posted pictures on his facebook boasting our company. We told Homestars that as well yet still allowed a 3rd party to write the opposite.

mikef387
5/24/19

I was referred to Rolando at Olympia Town Aluminum to do my windows I contacted him and he came over that same day to measure and give me a quoted. His quality of work and detail to installing were amazing. After install he walked me through what he did and how he did it. If you are looking for a reliable window person and siding Rolando is your guy I would recommend him to anybody.

ashs39
5/17/19

After 6 months of being with homestars.ca paying $200 a month, we closed 1 small job for $300. Totally pathetic. They sell to as many contractors as they can in your category, thus the few leads that actually come thru get watered down more and more as companies join.

rogero44
5/11/19

This company is paid by contractors to advertise their services, therefore it is difficult to post honest, uncomplimentary reviews.
We had poor value from Drake + Khan design who subcontracted to workers whom they did not monitor for quality and the work took very long. There were problems with every area of work that will need to be redone in the near future. You will see glowing reviews for Drake+Khan only.
Home Stars is poor representation if you want consistently good work. Drake and Khan will say, "do not have record" on negative reviews.

lucac44
4/17/19

They make you invisible unless you pay them at minimum $250 plus per month. They literally won't let you request reviews, post photos or even your logo unless you pay that much.
On top of that, they advertise your competitors on your own page unless you pay that much.
And then if you want to delete the page you made for your own business, they refuse to remove it.
Absolutely disgusting business.

chrisc898
3/11/19

I have read reviews from others and have to say that I experience the same as those that are extremely unhappy. This company is TOTAL SCAM - and I mean it. The are sending me invites to become their member and to pay monthly between $200 - $700 so I can receive new clients. When I called and spoke to the person who works there only 4 months she could not answer the question - how is it that all these paying members are at 91% - 98% satisfaction. We are in business since 1975 and we service approximately 300/week and 1500/month clients and with help of our office staff we're asking our customers to write review on Homestars and they are not appearing at all or in some cases they are calling our customers to find out work order and/or invoice number for prove to delay the process. But if I was to pay them money they want than there would be no verification and DEFINATELY my score would have been at least 95%. THIS COMPANY IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT CUSTOMER OPINION. THE MORE YOU PAY THEM THE BETTER SCORE YOU HAVE.

Tip for consumers: Found your contractor or service company on googles and NOT THROUGH HomeStars.

lambost
2/5/19

Home Star allows fake post when I complained about it they said that I opened the site.
Impossible I never heard of home star before they told me I can respond to the fake post.
I said that's not fare they should remove the fake post they told me I should of responded 1 year earlier how could i if I never new it exited?
If they allow not true comments then they are not an ethical company.
If they want to rectify this complaint they can remove the fake post for Canadian Salvaged Timber
when that is done then I would consider changing my comments Until then my comments stand.

patrickc313
2/2/19

I was referred to Rafael Lopez from www.homebuild-sa.com to finish my basement. I contacted him and within 20 minutes he contacted me to set up an appointment to review the job. I met him the following week and the next day he provided me with a detailed scope breaking down all the work and material and total cost. The scope of work was detailed in a word document including scheduled payments and a receipt page where all scheduled payments were written and signed by Rafael. He told me the job would take 3 weeks and thats exactly the time it took to complete. Quality of work was absolutely amazing. After each day, all dust and debris was cleaned up so there was no mess. His helper Eliezer is a young man who is a conscientious, hard worker, loyal and dependable. Both Rafael and Eliezer were at my home every day by 8:15 as they said they would be. I live in Burlington and they drove from Scarborough every day.

If you are looking for a reliable, honest, dependable contractor that does superior work, then you should contact Rafael at (647) 832-2359. You will NOT regret your decision to go with this contractor.

jayb315
1/31/19

Not happy at all. I have been trying to cancel my membership and they do not even respond. I'm forced to cancel my card. They do not produce nearly what they should considering the costs.

debbieg171
1/28/19

I have always had excellent service by this company. In particular, I always ask for Raymond Wong. He is thorough, explains everything so well and cleans up. He is there at the appointed time. Great service.

mohsenf4
1/16/19

HORRIBLE!, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE! THE WORST COMPANY TO EVER DEAL WITH. BEEN TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM FOR weeks, AND THEY CAN NEVER COME UP WITH A STRAIGHT ANSWER FOR HOW RIDICULOUS THEIR ALGORITHM IS.
BEEN CALLING AND LEAVING VOICE MAILS, AND TENS OF EMAILS WITHOUT A SINGLE REPLY.
EACH STAFF MORE INCOMPETENT THEN THE OTHER. IT'S A SHAME FOR THIS COMPANY TO BE JUDGING ANY OTHER COMPANY AND REPRESENTING THEIR REPUTATION.

Yes, they are cheater,they told me before I sign the contract I can cancel my account AT ANYTIME I WANT, and I trust them , I sign and now they told me it's 12 months contract. I am not getting leads from them and my reviews doesn't published.
Not recommended AT ALL.PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY IN THIS FAKE COMPANY.
As a business owner I am very dissatisfied with HomeStars. To any other small business owners looking to use HomeStars. Please note that this is NOT a month-to-month service.
They are locking you into a 12-month minimum contract that you can't get out of. the only think i could do is blocking my credit card to avoid wasting my money to this company.
NEVER EVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM.

justiniang
12/27/18

i have been a contractor with home stars for 7 years and have slowly watched their service diminish. Not only are contractors charged to be on the system, but also charged to access leads. this double dipping this is no good for hard working service providers.
the second major issue is with their review process, the management of this system is arbitrary and not as strong as they say it is, we have a mid 90% ranking and yet still we get false or extortionist reviews that are not pulled off after extensive work on our part proving the inaccuracy of the review, on the flip side we have reviews that are a 10 for work we did not even complete. We also have clients that honestly review us and the review is never added to the site and tried another review that was from a false customer and it was let on the site. I no longer have faith in their system to accurately represent our customers opinions of our work. Negative reviews from log ago are weighted to heavily and continue to affect out business dealing with new clients

I do not recommend at 600$ a month this is a good investment for starting business and exsisting business have to stay on our all the review equity built is gone.

igork49
11/9/18

Homestars did not publish my negative review on
Convertible heating and Air Conditioning, who
promise to install Humidifier, but refuse to do so

louisel75
11/7/18

Homestars is not the independent review portal it represents itself to be. The more a company pays them, the better their reviews. If the price is right, they'll squash poor reviews, post good ones or create amazing ones out of thin air. They are guilty of promoting unethical and criminal contractors.

jacobm115
8/27/18

I dont get any results from home stars its as if they already have there go to companies and like to filter all the leads to them as they probably pay alot more for the service.

im sure if you got in with home stars from the grown up you would be praising them im sure those people are the only ones who really benefit.

since they got new owners its such a scam they no longer care about the small business and helping the little guy grow its all about making max profits and securing their bottom line clearly.

im not going to be that idiot anymore who is giving the CEO free money for nothing.

derekm127
8/10/18

I am a new electrical contractor since I started advertising I was getting many calls from homestars stars promising the world joining them will be the "best decision I'll ever make".
I started a free profile and the leads started coming in .these leads must be paid for $20 here $30 there. A few worked out and I was told if I join for $300 a month my exposure will increase and more leads will come my way so I tried it out. 2 months pass and i get one lead a week . They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up.well being small and new I do not complete dozens of jobs a week. I decide i do not want to continue and cancel my paid membership. The day i cancel i receive 5 leads all worth $40 to view
Nothing has changed with my business except I'm no longer eligible for free leads.
They stuck you in with all kinds of leads and once you see that your better off paying monthly $200+ for free leads they stop coming in and they feed you bull$#*! excuses paying them is a waste of money
Look elsewhere for reviews like Google...

janiel14
8/7/18

I just have to tell you that in all my married life (45 years) we have never needed a plumber until last week....we had a leak in a pipe from the washing machine that wasn't visible in the laundry room but showed up in the basement. I searched the internet and was impressed with the write-ups I'd seen on Express Rooter. From the first phone call to the plumber arriving we were impressed. Mark came to the house (a very professional and caring young man) and determined where the problem was. He assessed the situation and did the best he could do to fix our problem with the least amount of damage to the walls in the house as possible....we were very impressed with everything he did....very professional, no problem with clean-up, helped with the insurance situation and we would definitely recommend Express Rooter for any problems you may have.

Sincerely,

Janie & Ray, Mississauga, Ontario

tanjab8
8/3/18

we had 4 windows replaced from window seal west. from the very start Ruslan was professional and answered my emails within an hour. we ordered and as promised in a few weeks our windows were in and looking beautiful. the guys who came to install were friendly and very respectful of my home and dogs. fast and clean work. they cleaned up right after and it looked as if they weren't even there. except i had beautiful well installed windows. anyone looking to get new windows must give these guys a chance. we did our homework and they were the best value. with hours of them leaving i was called and they set up my government rebate. no hassle for me. sign a paper and done.

lawrences100
7/9/18

When i tried them out they promised me i bunch of stuff and being a new business i was hoping that they would help us to get off the ground. but the problem with homestars is you must be an established business for there system to work. what they don't tell you that is if your a new business looking for work and you don't have the customers to do these reviews your not going to getting anything from them. So as a new business you only have one option is to wright fake reviews. If your a new business don't do homestars.

When i first started with homestars i was under the impression that i could cancel at anytime and that i had to give them 1 month notice. when i gave them my notice they told me i signed a 1 year contract. I never signed no contract and when i asked to see contract they try to change subject and wont show me this contract. Don't Trust Homestars.

joer350
6/26/18

Bad experience they keep sending you bad leads all the time and made promises that they cant keep. Stay away and all you need for reviews is google and its efective and free.

amarb
5/6/18

Spiros Roofing came same day and replaced the shingles which came off the roof due to Friday's storm. They were extremely busy but they came asap to help me and were very courteous.
I shall use them again without hesitation.
Amar Banerjee
12 Victoria Ave. Unionville

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives the scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500.00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Questions? Get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

9 Photos for HomeStars.ca