HomeStars.ca

HomeStars.ca has a consumer rating of 3.09 stars from 117 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. HomeStars.ca also ranks 10th among Contractors sites. The most common issues with HomeStars.ca are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 40.9%

• Convertible Heating & Air Conditioning installed our new furnace recently.

• The more a company pays them, the better their reviews.
  • They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up.
How would you rate HomeStars.ca?

“Very Happy With My New Bathroom Reno!”

Brenda M.
6/29/20

My out-dated 70's lime green bathroom needed to go, so I called a couple companies and decided to go with City Works. Their quote was fair, and also, I felt very comfortable with the Technicians who came out and took measurements, and gave me different options. The job was completed 3 days prior to their projected completion day, and the finished job is perfect! I am so happy with my new bathroom, and want to recommend City Works to everyone.

“Consumer beware”

Don K.
8/15/20

I have been reading Homestar's reviews on various services for years prior to hiring anyone and have come to the conclusion that they mostly only print positive reviews and ignore the negative ones as they accept payment from these suppliers. Hired a roofing contractor a few years back which had 100% positive reviews on Homestar. Ended with a disaster installation. Seemed that other contractors I had hired were very well aware of the dismal reputation that the roofing contractor had within the construction trades. Recently placed a negative review regarding a kitchen refinishing company which only stated facts. Was not printed.

company (43) reviews (39) work (39) 10 score (4) convertible heating (4) customer service (4) job (36) 2 years (3) bottom line (3) problem (8)
donk248
August 15th, 2020
alih276
April 3rd, 2020
Fake company just charged lots of money without giving the service,
I have paid over $3000 without getting any job from them. Never trust this App and company.
gustavoa46
February 26th, 2020
Im using HomeStars for last 8 months... we have 11 reviews 10stars, my score is 97%... a small job Less that CAD2000. 00.

I spent over Cad1500. 0 alredy, abd got a job less tgat 2000. 00.

In kijiji or letgo, I had spend 16.00 montly, and got tons of clients... in my google business same... im my website I had got minimum 5 clients week...

I still trying Homestars, and I will give a last chance... but 197.00 monthly and get nothing back? Doesn't make any sense
davidn801
June 12th, 2020
Response to complaint posted by Homestars

This complaint is absolutely preposterous!

Homestars, you did not do your due diligence.

Did you request to see proof of payment or an existing contract between these "so-called" customers?

Certainly not, since no deposit was ever made to me or my company and I do not see any paperwork to support this claim.

Besides, the high temperature on March 25,2019 was 0 degrees and the low was -4 degrees. I can guarantee you that we did not do any digging that day. The ground is still frozen with these temperatures.

I have been in this business since 1998 and I can assure you that we are an honest company and we finish the work that is contracted to us. Every project is put on contract, which also protects us and the consumer buying services from us. We would not be operating today if we behaved that way.

Like any existing business, I had to fire people who worked for me in the past. Some of those people, among them my own brother, would love to see our company fail, since they harbour a grudge against us and will stop at nothing to hurt our reputation.

I can certainly provide good references from previous customers and I am asking HomeStars to do their due diligence in the future. Failure to do so may lead to legal repercussions.

Sincerely,

Owner of Mega InterlocKing.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from HomeStars all smoke and mirrors

davidd1588
March 25th, 2020
I believe Homestars web site over inflates contractor ratings by deleting bad reviews. I recently added a negative review for a contractor. Review stayed on the site for 1 day and then was deleted. Beware!
danielm1541
March 9th, 2020
Don't bother using this, to me it is a scam, never got a decent job, and when signing up, they never told me it was a one year contract, I don't wanna use them no more, but they want to send me to collections, do not subscribe do yourself a favor...
krangler
June 18th, 2020
I recently had a bad experience with Homestars over a bad experience I had with a company.

I wrote a negative review about a company that had many obvious fake positive reviews.

Homestars demanded I show them proof I was a customer of this company which would obviously void my anonymity and possibly start a lawsuit.

I was forced to refuse and they would not publish my negative review.

Is this how a company should handle negative reviews.

Do they do this with positive reviews of course not because nobody objects.

I think Homestars has it wrong and should fix their policy.

They even have an option to choose anonymity
lorib485
March 30th, 2020
They present their website as a place for people to leave comments and rate contractors, but what people don't understand is they completely manipulate those ratings by deleting negative reviews for their subscribers, and would you believe even deleting POSITIVE reviews of contractors who DONT SUBSCRIBE TO THEIR SERVICE! So they will call you harassing you to pay the $450 a month to be "verified" and if you don't they start harassing customers who left positive reviews on your company to email them invoices and pictures to prove that they did work for you. Avoid this website and trust google reviews only, if anything.
gavinf24
May 1st, 2020
ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES WE'VE HAD TO DEAL WITH!

Our reno company signed up with HomeStars services 2 years ago. When we signed up, they were extremely quick in taking our money. Fast forward 2 years later when we called in to cancel our subscription, HomeStars has been very unprofessional. We called in 3 months ago to cancel, and over and over again, we keep getting the same BS from their side. We literally spoke to a dozen representatives and managers, promising they would be taking care of the matter, but after 3 months, they are still charging our company credit card.

Today we had to resort to calling the VISA dispute department to file a case. It is beyond my hands now so we'll have to wait and see what happens from here.

ATTENTION TO THE PUBLIC: PLEASE BECAREFUL USING HOMESTARS AS A SERVICE. WE DON'T WANT THE SAME THING TO HAPPEN TO OTHERS OUT THERE.

---------------------------------
UPDATE:
HomeStars refunded the latest payment they charged us for, after VISA Dispute Department got in touch with them.
shanew109
December 12th, 2019
I run a small snow removal company, they called saying they had several leads in our area but since they just launched here they didn't have any other companies on their site to give them to. My partner had heard of Homestars in Toronto and had heard good things so decided to give it a go. None of the leads we got were from before we signed up, we got very few in general and only one that we were actually able to take on. We've been trying to cancel for weeks and all they do is bounce us around from person to person and don't do anything. The also just charged us for another month when we have clearly wanted to cancel our membership.

For a company that is specifically made to help customers find good companies to work with, it's ironic how terrible of a company they are.
kayumh
February 24th, 2018
I'm a contractor listed on Homestars. I've just found that if a customer tries to contact me through their website, Homestars will automatically sell the lead onto my competition. The customer has to opt out to avoid getting calls from unknown contractors. They sent out a mass email stating that they didn't sell leads from paid profiles but they do and anybody can prove it.
rogero44
May 11th, 2019
This company is paid by contractors to advertise their services, therefore it is difficult to post honest, uncomplimentary reviews.
We had poor value from Drake + Khan design who subcontracted to workers whom they did not monitor for quality and the work took very long. There were problems with every area of work that will need to be redone in the near future. You will see glowing reviews for Drake+Khan only.
Home Stars is poor representation if you want consistently good work. Drake and Khan will say, "do not have record" on negative reviews.
ashs39
May 17th, 2019
After 6 months of being with homestars.ca paying $200 a month, we closed 1 small job for $300. Totally pathetic. They sell to as many contractors as they can in your category, thus the few leads that actually come thru get watered down more and more as companies join.
seanr149
September 28th, 2019
I started a small company. Joined Homestars on the promise of referrals. What a joke! You cannot get any referrals until you have had reviews!
Once I learnt that, I tried repeatedly to cancel. All I kept getting is that you are locked in for one year! As far as I am concerned, for a company that is all about "customer service", their ability to understand and assist the people that pay them is less than zero!

Tip for consumers: Avoid them if you are a new business!,,

lucac44
April 17th, 2019
They make you invisible unless you pay them at minimum $250 plus per month. They literally won't let you request reviews, post photos or even your logo unless you pay that much.
On top of that, they advertise your competitors on your own page unless you pay that much.
And then if you want to delete the page you made for your own business, they refuse to remove it.
Absolutely disgusting business.
jackiew11
May 24th, 2019
This company gives false information as to how they can excel your search engine on your company and bring you leads. We have been paying close to $300 a month Since May and Not once has a customer found our company by searching for a contractor in our industry or service we provide. They give so many lame excuses why it's not working but bottom line it simply did not work and they will not cancel our subscription. In fact last I heard
From this company was 3 months ago when I was promised they would begin a process to cancel our monthly fee and never heard from them since. They don't respond to emails or calls and we get the run around. Do not sign up with them, they will take your money gladly and give nothing in return also, they don't screen reviews and allow people
Who have no proof of business with your company to make reviews as well. I have given them ample time to follow through and cancel this outrageous monthly cost. If it doesn't soon stop there will be legal ramifications coming their way
lambost
February 5th, 2019
Home Star allows fake post when I complained about it they said that I opened the site.
Impossible I never heard of home star before they told me I can respond to the fake post.
I said that's not fare they should remove the fake post they told me I should of responded 1 year earlier how could i if I never new it exited?
If they allow not true comments then they are not an ethical company.
If they want to rectify this complaint they can remove the fake post for Canadian Salvaged Timber
When that is done then I would consider changing my comments Until then my comments stand.
jayb315
January 31st, 2019
Not happy at all. I have been trying to cancel my membership and they do not even respond. I'm forced to cancel my card. They do not produce nearly what they should considering the costs.
robertv235
August 13th, 2019
Posted a negative review based on our experience with a fence company that worked on our property. They removed it because the owner complained, and we did not have proof of purchase (because it was paid for by the neighbors). Because of this fact there was a portion left unfinished on our property.

Even though we showed Homestars a picture of the completed and uncompleted work, as well as text messages to and from the owner about completion, Homestars would not accept this.

It has been about a month since the company came back and worked on our property to fix this issue, but my review is still "pending moderation". This is even though I have emailed them to have it taken down because the work got finished!

Now I am stuck with an account for this dumb site because they wont let you delete your account.

Homestars will say "if you do not pay for the service you cant review them". Even though they worked on our property, and I felt people should be aware of the issues we had.

If they came over and tore up our lawn and broke things could I give them a review then? What if it was a good review? Would they ask for proof then?

Homestars, deletes bad reviews for the ones that pay to be on their site, and strong arm those that don't pay by altering their reviews.

Do not use, very corrupt, stick to google reviews. If you're a business owner, do NOT put your company on here because you will be on here for life, and you will be forced to pay to get good reviews.
jacobm115
August 27th, 2018
I dont get any results from home stars its as if they already have there go to companies and like to filter all the leads to them as they probably pay alot more for the service.

Im sure if you got in with home stars from the grown up you would be praising them im sure those people are the only ones who really benefit.

Since they got new owners its such a scam they no longer care about the small business and helping the little guy grow its all about making max profits and securing their bottom line clearly.

Im not going to be that idiot anymore who is giving the CEO free money for nothing.
louisel75
November 7th, 2018
Homestars is not the independent review portal it represents itself to be. The more a company pays them, the better their reviews. If the price is right, they'll squash poor reviews, post good ones or create amazing ones out of thin air. They are guilty of promoting unethical and criminal contractors.
chrisc898
March 11th, 2019
I have read reviews from others and have to say that I experience the same as those that are extremely unhappy. This company is TOTAL SCAM - and I mean it. The are sending me invites to become their member and to pay monthly between $200 - $700 so I can receive new clients. When I called and spoke to the person who works there only 4 months she could not answer the question - how is it that all these paying members are at 91% - 98% satisfaction. We are in business since 1975 and we service approximately 300/week and 1500/month clients and with help of our office staff we're asking our customers to write review on Homestars and they are not appearing at all or in some cases they are calling our customers to find out work order and/or invoice number for prove to delay the process. But if I was to pay them money they want than there would be no verification and DEFINATELY my score would have been at least 95%. THIS COMPANY IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT CUSTOMER OPINION. THE MORE YOU PAY THEM THE BETTER SCORE YOU HAVE.

Tip for consumers: Found your contractor or service company on googles and NOT THROUGH HomeStars.

derekm127
August 10th, 2018
I am a new electrical contractor since I started advertising I was getting many calls from homestars stars promising the world joining them will be the "best decision I'll ever make".
I started a free profile and the leads started coming in. These leads must be paid for $20 here $30 there. A few worked out and I was told if I join for $300 a month my exposure will increase and more leads will come my way so I tried it out. 2 months pass and i get one lead a week. They say I need more reviews coming in, and things will pick up. Well being small and new I do not complete dozens of jobs a week. I decide i do not want to continue and cancel my paid membership. The day i cancel i receive 5 leads all worth $40 to view
Nothing has changed with my business except I'm no longer eligible for free leads.
They stuck you in with all kinds of leads and once you see that your better off paying monthly $200+ for free leads they stop coming in and they feed you bull$#*! excuses paying them is a waste of money
Look elsewhere for reviews like Google...
igork49
November 9th, 2018
Homestars did not publish my negative review on
Convertible heating and Air Conditioning, who
Promise to install Humidifier, but refuse to do so
lawrences100
July 9th, 2018
When i tried them out they promised me i bunch of stuff and being a new business i was hoping that they would help us to get off the ground. But the problem with homestars is you must be an established business for there system to work. What they don't tell you that is if your a new business looking for work and you don't have the customers to do these reviews your not going to getting anything from them. So as a new business you only have one option is to wright fake reviews. If your a new business don't do homestars.

When i first started with homestars i was under the impression that i could cancel at anytime and that i had to give them 1 month notice. When i gave them my notice they told me i signed a 1 year contract. I never signed no contract and when i asked to see contract they try to change subject and wont show me this contract. Don't Trust Homestars.

As a client of a contractor who has been on the listing for four years, I was very pleased with their work. I personally believe that a listed Contractor should be listed for at least a year to see if he/she survives The scrutiny of the public before I hire them. Sorry to hear that you were defrauded 1500. 00 by Hawthorne Kitchen Design, I don't know of them, but thanks for the warning.

By heath s.

Hi support

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeStars.ca staff and other customers.

With over 146 home improvement service categories in Canada, you can connect with a reputable home professional that will get the job done on HomeStars.

lesliea18
Leslie A.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeStars.ca?

Have a question about HomeStars.ca?