Review of FreedomPop

11301 W Olympic Blvd Ste 112
Los Angeles, CA 90064-1652

jebbf
2/13/18

I've been a freedompop customer for 2 years. Nobody else can match their absolutely free world wide Cell phone service. If yu are planning a trip abroad invest in a freedompop sim card, you will not regret it!

tabars
2/12/18

Freedom is the only mobile communication provider which is available for free depending on your usage. There is no monthly charges for the basic service. I recommend to give a try. You have nothing to loose.

troyd28
2/12/18

I not going to say everyone will have no problems but if you arnt expecting everything in a cell phone plan for free, an look at all plans products reviews and then try freedompop yourself youll be a very happy camper

stoner2
2/9/18

FreedomPop is loaded with hidden charges - even if your billing shows $0 due you may still be charged. They have a variety of hidden "services" that are also billed but aren't considered part of your 'Plan' since they fall under services. Ignore the next payment amount due on their home page and make sure you look at ALL their pages to see what other charges you will incur. It takes a lot of work to get their "free" service to be free. Also note that once you navigate through their maze of hidden charges and get to actually not paying them anything, they will throttle your speed.

Response from Miguel S., FreedomPop Representative
We apologize if this was your experience, Stone R. We do our best to be as transparent as possible with any potential charges by disclosing them prior to checkout and reiterated them in a follow-up confirmation email. You can also check any associated charges by logging into my.freedompop.com. We certainly will not throttle you for not being on a paid plan.
alanr77
2/6/18

I had a great experience, they absolutely went out of thier way to help me. I was having trouble porting my number but they worked with me and made it work. It took a little time but it's to be expected in some cases. This is a great new company and this IS worth it, no contracts, no bs just good service.

joshr76
2/1/18
• Updated review

They responded to my review with the same BS they emailed me with. I TRIED to resolve the issue with them before disputing the charge with my bank and they kept telling me the same thing, that I have to refuse the 2nd phone. I told them MANY time in our email exchange that I NEVER GOT THE 2nd PHONE and they NEVER told me that they would look into it. They just kept saying that I needed to refuse the 2nd phone for my refund. How am I supposed to get my refund if they keep making me go in circles? I got fed up after about 3 weeks of emails and disputed the transaction. Keep in mind that I ONLY disputed the transaction for the 2nd phone that was NEVER SHIPPED.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site unless you like terrible customer service and an unfair TOS.

“Terrible customer service. I do NOT recommend!”
1/27/18
• Previous review

FreedomPop has HORRIBLE customer service and they will not refund you anything, even for accidental double orders. I accidentally ordered a phone twice because their website wasn't refreshing. They wouldn't cancel the order and said I needed to refuse the 2nd phone when it ships, then I would get a refund. Well, while I did have 2 tracking numbers, only 1 phone showed up. I never refused the 2nd phone because it didn't come at all! So I disputed the 2nd charge with my bank and they reversed it. In response, FreedomPop canceled my account and banned me from ever opening one with them again. So I am being punished for their lack of communication and lack of proper customer service (I work in customer service management). I have reported them to the BBB, also.

Steer clear of this company. While the service is OK when it works, their customer service and their TOS both need some work to cater to the customer's needs better. The fact that you have to pay an extra $5.99 for good customer service should be a BIG RED FLAG. Customer service should be free to all. This company is a scam.

Response from Miguel S., FreedomPop Representative
We apologize if there's been a misunderstanding. Though phone support does come at an additional cost, we do offer 100% free customer support via email and social media. Once a device has shipped, we cannot cancel the order on our end, the device would need to be refused upon delivery for a full refund. If one of the devices did not arrive, a formal request would need to be processed with us directly in order to investigate the discrepancy and issue a refund. Per our terms of service, disputing directly with the bank without contacting us for a resolution does in face result in a terminated account. Again, we truly apologize for the inconvenience experienced with your order.
javiern9
1/30/18

I have been using Fp for many months without problems. Their connection is really good and also their service too. What's more, they gibe you free data and voice which is super cool! I love this company

bobh197
1/28/18

Buyer Beware! I had nothing but trouble with FreeedomPop - billing errors and great difficulty dealing with customer service. I finally gave up and cancelled all my FreedomPop accounts after literally dozens of email exchanges with support. Unless you are willing to pay extra you cannot talk to a support person, even for a new device. Email support gives the same canned responses over and over.

ering63
1/27/18

Great free option for my kids. I love the feeling that I can get ahold of my kids anytime I want. Get great coverage out in the country where we live too!

benh123
1/12/18

I bought a sim card package from FreedomPop. Firstly, it took one week to arrive, and the activation starts upon shipment, so while waiting for your order to arrive you are losing out. The biggest problem is the app. In order to get phone and text service you need to download the FreedomPop Messaging app. Strangely, this app does not show up on PlayStore on my Google phone (one of the most popular phones around). Trying to get help from FreedomPop support desk is hopeless - their support person attempts to help but is completely clueless even about the basics phone technology and app download. After wasting a week, I gave up and cancelled my account. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Response from Miguel S., FreedomPop Representative
Hi Ben, we apologie if this was your experience. We're unsure why you were unable to locate the FreedomPop Messaging Phone/SIM on the Google Playstore. Here's a direct link to the app on Google - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.phone&hl=en
charf5
1/8/18

I decided to give FreedomPop a try on home internet, but as soon as the call ended, I had a question I'd forgotten to ask.I immediately called back and got a runaround and was met with rudeness.

After over 15 minutes of that I determined as this was just the start, it wouldn't get any better. So in less than 30 minutes of the order, I canceled. I was told it would take 3 days to process the refund. Three days later and it still has not processed.

In addition, a day after cancelling, they shipped the equipment anyway. So I'm getting equipment tomorrow, that I'm going to have to return in order to get my refund I'm sure, and I won't be surprised if shipping is at my expense. And it amazes me that I now can no longer reach them. Sales says I'm a customer and won't talk to me.

They transfer me to support. When I tell them support is automated and wants my phone number to connect me and says I don't have an account, they just say I do and transfer me anyway, or just outright hangup. I even asked for cancellations, same thing happens. They won't answer my emails either.

I'm going to make this costlier than the $45 they ripped off of me, by the time I'm done with all my complaints, the BBB, FTC, disputing the charges at my bank, closing my bank account so they can't charge more, and trashing the equipment they underhandedly mailed out (IF the USPS doesn't allow me to refuse it), etc.It would have been cheaper for them to have done the refund.

nicoled100
1/8/18

Excellent service as long all directions are followed and the apn is entered correctly. Innovative solutions. Priced right and reliable service.

aland43
12/31/17

By the time you realize that you are paying extra for all the services given by top providers, you are better off going with a name brand provider, your bill is gonna be the same and service is very poor.

et1061
12/28/17

In November of 2016 I purchased 2 Wifi hotspots, Mifi® 500 4G LTE by Novatel Wireless from the company FreedomPop.

I also purchased their Premium 4G plan for both devices as well.

For several months I had exceptional service, that worked fairly well in most environments until July/August of 2017. The service deteriorated to 3G to only displaying 1 out of 4 signal bars. Rendering the device to not be able to surf the web or even download files due to extremely poor speed.

As of December 8th of 2017 I filed a complaint with my dissatisfaction of the service via email. I had previously called their company several times with absolutely no answer. Even going as far as to make a visit to their office in West Los Angeles during normal business hours on a Tuesday at 3 pm with no one even being there at the premises.

As of December 11, a representative, Christian P, finally responded:

"It is our understanding that you are unable to get support and that your device only shows 1 Bar of signal. I'm sorry to know this situation but I'll be glad to help you out."

Furthermore giving me the same number I called several times with no answer.

Another attempt to contact them was made December 26th in which I spent exactly 30 minutes on the line with absolutely no answer.

I was finally able to reach them December 27th, being told that one of the devices was suspended due to them not being able to bill the account, however the bill was already paid for December and not due until January. I had placed a temporary block on the account due to lack of communication on their end.

I have tried to withdraw my credit-card information as well as my wife's, however the system has kept all the information. They claim to be no contract, no commitment & able to cancel anytime, but have been nothing but fraudulent the entire duration of this episode.

coleens6
12/26/17

I called Freedompop and was assured that they had service in my zip code. I purchased a phone and had absolutely zero service on the device. I had numerous emails and calls to their customer service personnel and simply got nowhere. When speaking to customer service staff, it was obvious that none of them spoke English fluently. Emailing them always resulted in a 4 to 5 day wait until a response was sent and then, the response did nothing to address the problem. I have had many cell phones over the years and have had numerous providers, Freedompop is by far the worst. If you need service, go elsewhere.

ahappyf
12/22/17

FreedomPop gives me great mobile Internet service at an unbelievable price.

I paid $20 initially to get my Franklin R850 wireless hotspot device (on sale), then I downgraded to the free plan and dropped all the services. I paid an extra $10 to turn off "auto-top up," which is a little sneaky, but oh well. I hooked up my account with 10+ freedompop friends and now I'll been getting 1GB/month of free mobile Internet service for years after only spending a grand total of $30 one time only. I think this is an amazing value!

Who wants to deal with those monopolistic cable and DSL companies? My brothers each pay more than $80 every month for cable internet service, how insane is that?!? Sure they get more GB of data per month than I do, but you can buy gobs of data on FreedomPop too, if you're willing to shell out a little money. You'll never get dinged with disconnect/connect fees if you decide to move around, unlike cable/DSL.

FreedomPop is great for people who are mobile, living life on the road. Good luck getting cable/DSL companies to give you any service at all if you tell them you live in a van down by the river for the next month or so, as long as good weather holds out. LOL! FreedomPop simply works almost anywhere I go, even when visiting other states or moving from one place to another. I highly recommend it!

josea143
12/22/17

One of the best services out there!! Super happy that I have my family on the service!! Got to love free!!! I also gifted to all my basketball players!

jamesm758
12/22/17

There's lots of little things to look out for with FreedomPop, such as the trials they sign you up for in the beginning, auto top-up and the fee to remove it, and how it freezes dormant accounts. Sometimes you'll need to hit up support. But if you can manage that, you can't beat the price. That's why I've stuck with FreedomPop for the past few years as it's been the perfect thing for a broke university student.

davidr457
12/20/17

Great service great experience would recommend to everyone I don't get service where I live but freedom pop works here

wend1840
12/20/17

I've been using FreedomPop for almost a year. Currently I'm using the 4G LTE sim in AT&T network with free 200 minutes/500 texts/200 MB (increased to 700 MB after connected with 10 FreedomPop friends). AT&T's coverage is excellent, and I do have problem with making/receiving phone calls using the FreedomPop app. Some months I pay $1.99 for MMS service. So far I'm very satisfied with FreedomPop.

billiek13
12/19/17

Love FreedomPop so does my son easy money solution for this single mom on a lower income thanks for being exactly what I need!

davids911
12/19/17

FreedomPop is the best value in wireless out there right now. The free plans are great, and the value just goes up from there. Ive been using FP for 2+ years now with NO PROBLEMS. DEFINITELY CHECK THEM OUT.

rachelp30
12/14/17

I have had no phone service for a week now, because the LG Viper that FreedomPop sold me started to malfunction. It constantly cycles through 3 startup screens but never goes to the homepage, and the phone badly overheats with this happening. Factory reset doesn't fix. They told me that if I don't buy another junky phone, I will lose my plan, friends, and number. They refused to transfer my service to a SIM. I'm not going to buy another FP phone because the customer support is nonexistent at best. No legitimate carrier tells you that you MUST buy another junky malfunctioning phone instead of just transferring your service to a new SIM, as I requested.

jasonc225
12/10/17

The FreedomPop annual plan is ideal for me. 50.00 per year with 1000 sms and 1000 VOIP minutes is without doubt the best deal in wireless. I used the AT&T variant and network and voice quality is excellent. I purchased the premier add on which enables voice mail with speech to text and rollover of up to 500mb per month of rollover data. For those on WiFi at work or at home most of the time with need to make a few calls, posts, or texts the service is for you if AT&T coverage is solid in your area. The company has never charged me for anything since my initial purchase and I couldn't be happier with the money I'm saving. One caveat _ After switching from unlocked Moto G4 to AT&T branded LG V20 (both work great on FreedomPop with AT&T SIM) I found that the V20 will not update. The solution is to borrow a friend's AT&T SIM or keep an AT&T prepaid card around and activate a 2 dollar per day plan AND add a 1 dollar 100 mb data add-on from the menu. The deposit to fill the prepaid account initially is 10 dollars but I got all updates to November security updates. I simply cannot say enough about my positive experience with FreedomPop. Excellent alternative to prepaid or costly long-term contracts.

crystald50
12/10/17

I Love FreedomPop because it is so affordable. I tell everybody about FreedomPop. I would tell everybody to switch to FreedomPop.

12 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I know of three telephone #s for "Freedompop": 800-228-9207 888-743-8107 855-703-5785 If you can't reach a representative at any of these #s (I very recently had success with 888-743-8107 and they helped me with my billing issue), GO TO FREEDOMPOP.COM AND LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT (hope you remember your password!). THEN, CLICK ON (or, just hover over) "MY ACCOUNT" ATOP PAGE From its drop-down list, THEN CHOOSE "ACCOUNT SETTINGS" At the bottom of that page, you should see "DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT." (Click on it and follow subsequent instructions)

By Barry S., FreedomPop Representative

trustworthy????? Cust service is bad, make that terrible almost nonexistent. The service is carried by sprint but was very hit or miss when not connected via wireless to a network. If you will always be in a city or connected to a network via wireless internet, this will probably work for you but do not count on it on a rural road. We cancelled service before the money back guarantee ran out. We now go with a company called page plus which uses Verizon. It is a little more expensive, but very reliable where we are at and the phone was less expensive for the exact same model Galaxy IV. Freedom Pop cellular did not work for me.

By paul c., FreedomPop Representative

I would double check all the info that you are inputting. They may be asking for it in a very specific order that is different from usual. I had no problems getting/ordering the phone. It was the inconsistent service that I had a problem with.

By paul c., FreedomPop Representative

Questions? Get answers from the FreedomPop staff and other customers.

FreedomPop?