ExpressVPN

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
4.7 / 5

ExpressVPN has a consumer rating of 2.64 stars from 111 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about ExpressVPN most frequently mention customer support, day money and credit card problems.ExpressVPN ranks 57th among Vpn sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 5.6%

No positive highlights yet

• And their customer support is non-existent once they have you signed up.
  • Just to review, i bought a month of your vpn service with a union pay card.
How would you rate ExpressVPN?

“Never suffer from bandwidth-throttling anymore”

Brad B.
5/13/22

Works the fastest and is by far the safest way to surf anonymously online. They have worldwide, extensive coverage that consists of over 3000 servers based in 90 locations so connectivity speed is never an issue. Their service also comes with top-notch encryption for enhanced security and they are as trustworthy as they come.

“Bad experience”

Samantha G.
1/24/22

The only reason I got ExpressVPN was because I was looking for a VPN and saw an ad from Ben Shapiro. Terrible decision. My computer has froze twice since starting my subscription a week and a half ago. In the first picture, you can see that it completely shut down and left this error message. Don't think Apple had anything to do with it. Hoping to get my money back soon.

customer support (7) vpn service (10) customer service (7) credit card (5) 2 years (4) 30 day money (3)
samanthag569
January 24th, 2022

VPN service

frankd1194
June 4th, 2022

ExpressVPN "protects" you by basically making any torrent download impossible. If the torrent has, literally, hundreds of seeds, you might get lucky and be able to connect to a few of them. Even then, the download will be painfully slow. Most torrents, Express simply won't let you connect to any seeds or peers, and torrent trackers all time out. Turn off Express, and you can download, but now you're paying $12.95 a month for no protection. I've even tried using several different torrent clients; the results are the same.
Sadly, most positive "reviews" you'll find for Express are apparently on sites which are owned and operated by Express themselves, allowing them to develop a reputation which is hardly deserved. That's how they got me, but I will definitely be canceling my subscription. (And from reading other reviews on this site, they make that hard, too.)
And "support" won't even let you post a question which implies that there's any problems with their VPN.
Save yourself the money and headaches - avoid like the plague.

johnathonm23
April 18th, 2022

I didnt not order there services they took money off my card with out my permission i contacted them they gave me a run around kept asking for my email said we send u a claim form got nothing talked to 10 different people every time got a different story asked for email for account i dont have an account i didnt sign up with them they steal from people they are scammers

Tip for consumers:
stay away they steal ur information

Products used:
none charged for it didnt order it

melt182
June 22nd, 2013

Have used ExpressVPN in China for 2 months where many sites were blocked to be prior to ExpressVPN. The only downside is that one of my Email sites blocks access (@cantab.net) so I have to close ExpressVPN to send email from that one account.

jaronep
November 29th, 2020

It was a good service when I signed up. Now it is getting worse. As someone commented, the customer support is all canned messages. They don't reply to what you say. In a lookout for better alternative.

paulas896
May 5th, 2022

I was looking for a vpn so i could watch my shows in english, purchased the yearly package with tye thought that there's going to be a free trial, as it was written on their site, nope, the whole 100€ were pulled off my card. Thought i'd might make the best of it but quickly i realised that i don't really know how to set it up, reached out to them in the customer support chat or whatever. TOOK OVER AN HOUR for them to explain, didn't get what i was saying although was explaining everything in great detail, they were going off topic all the time, offering something else to purchase. At the end i just gave up and filed for a refund. They told me my money still wasn't recieved, because it takes time to process because of the bank differences and me living in a different country, that was understandable, but i never got my money back after i had filed for a refund, no confirmation emails, no nothing, contacted my bank, they told me there's even no information about the purchase. Don't know, maybe it was the banks fault or some kind of glitch, but it's still bull$#*!, never purchasing anything from them again.

breidysb
February 26th, 2022

Terrible experience, VPN was on and my ip address was exposed, i call them and after several screen shots they said i had an old version. Come on! I update it every time i have a notification i closed my account right away. BE AWARE and do not pay them the whole year.

distrustful

vpn

anno155
May 2nd, 2021

After signing up, name, address and AmEx #, oh, no, doesn't support our 1 year old router. Really? But -- we could buy one from ExpressVPN, which we are not techy, so it would sit in box. Then comes the headache of being sure the charge is cancelled. Immediately upon cancellation, our inbox is flooded daily with spam emails -- going on from December 2020 to May 2021, seriously endless.

none

nicof3
May 1st, 2021

Expressvpn is horrible. It slows your internet down about 59 percent and puts you in a buffering hell. Turn off the VPN and the Mbps shoots back up where you can watch it. That's why these thieves nail you for a year. I have eleven months left and they won't refund.

Express vpn

carlod67
May 29th, 2021
Verified purchase

They told me that they already processed the refund and to check with my bank. Huh. After you got my money, you easily dismissed me. Such scammers. I waited for over 2 months. I'm done. I will never believe in money-back guarantees anymore, maybe that doesn't apply to people from 3rd world countries.

evb6
June 12th, 2021

DO NOT. They are happy to bend over backwards and do cartwheels to get your money, but when you need a teeny iota of help from them (such as showing a screenshot of e-mails sent out to you but never received, so you can contact your e-mal service to ask why, oh no, impossible. Been without my VPN for 24 hours -- on chat with them for 12 hours at least trying to straighten out something super simple. There were at least 5-8 major hurdles to overcome to overcome this problem. Can't spend time recounting all now.

alil69
December 1st, 2021

I play apex legends and my friends shifted to Europe. Now in order to play we needed to connect to an European server of the game.
The VPN didn't connect to any European regions (at lest for me) and a few times it did, the speeds were just bad.
Applied for a refund where their help gave me a 100 reasons why I shouldn't. When I finally got them to refund, my account got suspended instantly which was fine. But it's been 40 days and still the amount deducted from my account has not been refunded.

30 day money back guarantee is just false.

ront217
March 18th, 2021

Purchased a month to see if it would work for me, it didn't so I immediately logged onto the website (not the app) and clicked the ‘Turn off Automatic Renewal' on Your Account. I clicked it twice, then a message came up that said to make sure I updated my payment information if I wanted to continue my subscription. THIS is where you need to click the green ‘Turn off the automatic renewal' a THIRD time. If you don't do this, you are still not canceling your automatic subscription and it is still active.

stevenw1295
November 13th, 2021
Verified purchase

I subscribed to VPN Express based upon all the positive reviews I read. After using the service for several months, I agree that the service is fast - when it works. I have experienced repeated interruptions in service on my desktop with a message that says "Internet traffic is blocked." This occurs no matter what location I choose and no matter what protocol I use. It's gotten so bad that I often have to disconnect the service to access the Internet. What's worse, if I use the iOS version on my iPhone, I cannot disconnect the service so I am stuck with blocked traffic until service resumes. This is NOT what I expected when I paid up front for a one year subscription. Others may be satisfied but I am not.

seanr350
June 30th, 2021

I have had such a bad experience with ExpressVPN, it has hardly been useable since the first day I signed up/downloaded it. It slowed down everything to the point of no-use, it wouldn't let me send media messages outside of my home, and hardly protected anything. I then see on their website they recommend certain routers so I fork over more money for a router, and that doesn't even make a difference except for in my wallet. I contact about this 30 day money back guarantee and instead they tell me I need to troubleshoot instead of cancelling and then guess what you're past the 30 days now and you don't get your money back. I also turned off auto-renewal at the same time and I log on a month later to vent my frustration with the whole thing and what do I see? Auto-renewal back on! What a scam! They really hide the bad reviews well when you google it, and its such a shame. And their customer service at that is a joke, any company that doesn't have a phone # stay away, I swear it just means that they will offer no accountability when things go wrong because you're just some text on a screen and not a real person. Heartless!

brunos104
June 27th, 2021
Verified purchase

Their service is good. You can probably read several reviews over the internet that attest to how they actually guarantee your privacy/security. That's why it's appalling to me why such a company needs to go down to scammer level to trick people into keep paying even when they don't want to. I had a yearly subscription that I was not using anymore so I decided to cancel the auto-renewal. So I did it... or at least I thought I did it. Apparently clicking on a link saying 'deactivate auto-renewal' followed by clicking on another button 'deactivate auto-renewal' on a confirmation screen is not enough. They sneakily add a note saying that you will receive a reminder when the signature is about to end and only after that note is shown (in a blue color - really not drawing too much attention) and you click on the same button a THIRD time then it will be cancelled. It's worth nothing that I came to know about this when I got charged a yearly fee when I was absolutely sure I had cancelled (obviously I didn't as I have not pressed the button 3 times but only 2).

patrickw636
January 13th, 2022

I cancelled my account, still got charged. Customer support is NOT helpful in the least. They'll do anything to wring that last dollar from you. Stay away, there's better VPN's available.

jeroenj5
August 10th, 2021

Unbelievably bad Service and use of my cc after a chat with their customer support where I told them the VPN didn't work in spain (couldn't see some dutch sites) and I only wanted to have the week free trial I was already charged for a month. NO REFUND so I told them to cancel and again, a month later charged again! Again talking to one of their employees and I was told I wanted to keep my subscription... what a lie! There are much better and trustworthy VPN providers but I stay far far away from EXPRESS VPN!

Tip for consumers:
there are much better VPN providers

EXPRESS VPN

jamesh2651
December 8th, 2020

Over priced and somewhat buggy. On my PC it seems to work fine with a few exceptions. First, the kill switch feature only works when the VPN inadvertently loses the connection from the server. Unlike other VPNs that disable the internet anytime the VPN is not connected. I think this is a security issue. Second, on the interface, it shows the previous two server locations you have used. Clicking on either one is supposed to switch you to the server you clicked. It doesn't. The VPN just disconnects and doesn't reconnect to the changed server. You have to click connect again. Third, the speed test "feature" simply doesn't work. Every time I have tried to use it to find the fastest server, the same thing happens. The test starts, measures three or four sites, then locks up. The app needs to be killed in the task manager and restarted in order to regain control. It was reported SIX updates back, but they have yet to address it, Speeds are okay. Connection stability is average. They claim to unlock Netflix if you're trying to watch the USA version from another country. Nope. All are blocked.

Now the real annoyance... My MacBook Pro. OpenVPN won't even connect. The app says it can't find an internet connection, but other apps can, When you set the protocol to automatic, there are constant disconnects. So bad that I've ditched using ExpressVPN on my Mac and I'm using a different provider. Zero problems since I switched. Yes, I have reported these problems to the support department. They claim to be working on a solution, but haven't contacted me in 3 months. They need to just rewrite the app for the Mac. Big Sur brought even more changes and the current app has even more issues with Big Sur.

Their new lightway protocol isn't very efficient for throughput. I get better speeds with OpenVPN UDP. The lightway protocol connects very fast, but is unable to maintain a stable connection so there are constant interruptions. Also Lightway is closed source. Meaning security firms can't audit the code to determine it's safety and encryption efficiency. For now, you might not want to trust this new protocol.
Conclusion... If you have a Mac, look elsewhere. The headaches aren't worth the premium price. If you have a PC, it works okay, but like the Mac, you would think these issues would be addressed immediately for a product that has such a premium price tag.

Tip for consumers:
You can find better VPN services for a lower price. The premium pricetag by no means gives you better customer service. I found the CS reps to be quite arrogant and unwilling to look into problems. They offer you "canned" responses that often do nothing to address your problem. I didn't have many problems with my PC, only my Mac, and it seemed like the CS reps were completely dumbfounded when dealing with Mac problems.

Products used:
I tried ExpressVPN for almost a year. It seemed to be okay on my PC but is a complete disaster on my Mac.

masterx2
October 24th, 2021
Verified purchase

I subscribed to Express vpn. It slowed down the internet to 60% I had 1 year subscription and in my first few days I just couldn't have it anymore so I requested a refund as promised 30 Day- Money back Guaranteed. I've been in contact with them for over a month so far. And I've absolutely received nothing. Every time they tell me to check my bank. I already checked my bank and yes i was charged and never received my money back. Despite that I'm in need of my money. But they're horrible and awful. They always say the same thing, they always lie and they will never refund anything and I'm done. This is just awful. Express VPN is scammers

Tip for consumers:
Don’t ever subscribe to a paid VPN ever again. Always use the free one and never trust express vpn again or someone says 30DAY REFUND GUARANTEED BULL$#*!

bobc647
January 12th, 2021

I used another vpn for years and never got targeted ads. After a few days on expressvpn i started getting the same targeted ads on multiple devices. Yes i used all the tricks and settings to block tracking cookies (hence no targeted ads under previous vpn which i dropped due to wifi connectivity issues). The ecpressvpn response bot assumes you are an idiot.

willyb25
August 18th, 2021

I have used express vpn in mexico for over a year. I have had nothing but problems. The DNS for Samsung smart tv never worked properly even after spending hours on the chat line with them. Since the DNS did not work concisely, I had to stream to my computer and cable ot to my tv to watch it on the tv screen. I tried a live tv stream service that Express said their vpn worked well with and I was blocked completely within 45 days from subscribing and had to cancel the service. The only thing that worked was streaming movies on the major services. They way over promise and way under serve. There has to be a better service I just dont know what it is.

larryr504
September 3rd, 2021

Never will use them again. Their support is simply put a scam. Do nor buy from them. Their refund policy is non-existent. If you complain they will black ball you and block you out of your account. Horrible people to del with..

Tip for consumers:
When the software stopped working, their support was bogus. Every link they sent me was a dead end. They keep asking the same questions over and over even though you tell them several times, it makes no difference.Finally, they blocked my account, and I cannot access it for any reason. I was forced to change my password many times and each time it never worked. They offered no help to fix it. Also, they have blocked me from even trying to access their web site on Google. Do not buy from them.

ExpressVPN

simons223
June 27th, 2020

To my surprise the service is very average and had constant intermittent breaks. Also to cancel the service was walk through mirrored maze. I thought I had cancelled based on screen messages, however when I was charged again, I see I needed to press the cancel button at least 3 times. Why trick your customers!

marcusx2
December 15th, 2021

I cannot access channels in Australia due to their fault. They say they will fix it yet still over many months nothing. I follow it up and still they always repeat that they will try to fix it.
Hopeless. Be aware!

I am a member of netflix in canada. if i join does your fee include my current fee of 8.99/ mo. or is your fee over and above my current fee

If you subscribe for ExpressVPN services they will bill you for their services not for Netflix subscription.

By Mark S.

Can you create a new twitter or youtube & post comments? can you create a new blog (wordpress?) with this? or is the submit button disabled?

When did i authorize this? i just checked my bank account and you've been taking money since july! i never did this!!!

I use virtualization heavily without issues but express vpn manages get my cpus to 100%. very suspicious. i will investigate this.

Hello on the 9/2 i was charged $16.94 for a truncation i never requested could you please give me more info on these charges

Why are they taking unauthorized payments from my bank,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ExpressVPN staff and other customers.

VPN service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ExpressVPN?

Have a question about ExpressVPN?