Review of eHarmony

UserSupport@eharmony.com
2017 Customer choice award

geraldw91
10/15/18

My account was hacked. It was taken over by a hacker who probably used a rainbow table to match my password hash. I was not notified by email that an account change was pending my email verification, it just happened. This is the weakest and worst user security policy I have EVER heard of. They do not work on Sundays so this hacker ran amok for 24 hours with me having to try and mitigate damage by messaging all my matches. Finally I got ahold of chat this morning and they could not help. Then at 2:30 I receive an email saying they had closed my account. Nothing they can do. Scorched earth for my account. So long Eharmony. This is the final straw. First you change your format and become just another expensive Tinder, and now this.

sheilas163
9/29/18

Eharmony takes the cake for the worst dating site ever! I mean I wish I wasn't so negative here but I would receive daily matches and I couldn't tell you how they could have possibly connect me with the fellas they would send me daily! The good news.. I would shRe my daily matches with friends and the laughter we had over the course of the one mo th I joined was so worth the price of admission !! It's fumny, I'm 5'8 and Never received a match over 5'9.. the match location was so far off I would have no idea how they came up with it.. I could keep going up POF with some precautions used when talking to people is FREE.. give it a second chance..

theresab158
9/23/18

I would not recommend membership based on my experiences thus far! Not worth the $$! I joined the end of April, 2018, and I have to say, I'm quite disappointed with eHarmony!! They entice you to sign up by luring you via a "free trial," but to really see how the site works and to view the many initial matches they find for you, you HAVE TO PAY. Once I signed up (and for a year, no less, because it was cheapest rate!), I slowly got less and less matches, and most of my matches are well over an hour away (some in Canada and many are over 5-6 hours from me) - so what's the point??!! I chose the site because of the depth of details one needs to provide in the membership as well as many Qs to answer in order for the site to find "compatible matches"....but I'm not at all impressed so far.

Tip for consumers: BUYER BEWARE!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Dear Theresa,

My name is Scott and I'm very sorry to hear you have not had the kind of experience we hope for. We'd love to work with you to resolve your concerns. Please reach out to us at membersupport@eharmony.com from the email address on your account and we'll be happy to try and help make your experience better.

Sincerely,

Scott
eharmony
annaf107
9/19/18

I've never run into a scammer or a fake account. The extra questions are fun. Perhaps I'm just picky, and I feel bad passing over the majority of my few matches. A lot of them live too far away. Though I think some are being too harsh in their reviews, matching is tricky, the company can't force people to date you if they're not interested, and you can only be matched with who is there, not just anyone in the world . . .

That said, most of my matches were too old for me (even though I put a preference on age) and, sorry to be so mean, but looked like they had not touched a hairbrush or razor and live in their parent's basement.

leanettet2
8/29/18

Sitejabber averages a 4.5 star rating for eHarmony, yet that score is closely split down the middle between the 5 star raters and the 1 stars. How is that possible? It's not. In the real world this 50/50 law-of-averages ratings mix would be 2.5 maybe 3 stars, and eHarmony is definitely not 3 stars.

nicoley24
8/28/18

I really need to write this review as 3 months have almost passed and I am truly disappointed with eHarmony. All the matches sent to me were out of what I am looking for. Majority of them live in a place where I never heard of. And, their profile look terrible. What a total waste of money. The site should definitely closed down!!!

kc179
8/27/18

When I first signed up, I was matched with a small handful of men I'm not even slightly attracted to. Not my type at all. And there is no search feature, so the site does not trust you to make your own decisions based on profiles. If the computer only matches you with 3 people, you will only see 3 people on this site. After speaking with a representative, instead of issuing a full refund, i was talked into paying only $10 for a trial month. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and remained on the service. It's been about 2 weeks since that interaction and, since then, I've been matched with exactly 1 more person. I'm sorry, but for a time-based subscription to be worth it, I better be able to utilize that time searching through a whole database of possibilities, not just flush my money down the toilet while the computer lazily spits out 2 people a month that i can tell within seconds i'm not interested in. The site is a waste of money. Even the $10 trial was a waste of money. Buyer beware.

robertt461
8/24/18

I subscribed to this site and found that most "matches" were not even online or recently online. It's a huge waste of money and time! I've tried other dating sites but this is by far the worst!

kellyg195
8/21/18

This site is the joke of the online dating world! They have absolutely NO screening process, most people are fake. If they aren't, they only want to send $#*! pics... they are married... have live in gf's... or they are psychos. When you try closing your account eh makes it as difficult as possible & they KEEP billing you! I've had the best luck on farmers only! Ha! Go figure? Do not waste your money on the $#*! show, customer service are bunch of pricks too. Nightmare!!!!

tt114
8/20/18

I joined eharmony because of prior reviews and I thought reputable. To be fair, I did make contact with a few REAL people. However, I have been contacted by 10x that in spammers and fraudsters looking to make up stories to get money, etc... I have entertained a few to see where they were going. Thanks to eharmony, I am now an expert at identifying they fake/fraudsters. However, you know who isnt, eharmony. Their defense if if YOU (who paid quite a bit of money to join, ID a fraudster. They will remove. I had one fraudster using the same picture show up as a match (after being deleted) FIVE times! They simply change the city or state. eharmony states "according to our terms....." when you complain or want out. LAME, UNACCEPTABLE, CRAP website. BEWARE and DO NOT JOIN!!!!!!

louisa56
8/18/18

It is a bull$#*! site...whenever I heard their creepy spokesman I wanted to give him a hambone enema...I tried anyway..a major error...after three weeks the only hit I had was a trailer park escapee

kimh383
8/2/18

I was stupid enough to give them another try after a 2 year gap. Believe me.they have no changed. The profiles are fake and the only response I received was a scam. I'm going back to Zoosk.

debw73
8/1/18

I had filled out an online questionnaire and saved my profile but did not subscribe until 3 months later. When my profile was active, I had many emails from men during the time I was not a subscriber. eHarmony posts profiles of past users and non-subscribed users. This is very misleading. When I called eHarmony, they said they had many complaints and "were looking into the issue." This is very unfair and deceptive as all of those men were not getting any response from me at the time because I had never subscribed until months later.

Out of all the dating sites I have been on, eHarmony has the least amount of available men and very few matches. For all of their hype, I found them to be the very worst site out there.

msg7
7/6/18

This company is responsible for false advertising. They took money from my account promising me a service that I don't get.

Furthermore, I loaded some pictures on the site and asked that they are removed or that the interface would be fixed so that I can remove them myself. No response. Another thing is that I do not get any request on my page. I get maybe two matches a week if that, and it is no one to call to report or email. I then asked if I could close my account, they told me that my account has already been paid to the account so it could not be closed but I can be hidden to where I wouldn't be contacted.

Contacted by who? Again. I get two matches a week so why would I choose that option? They are not holding up their end of the bargain.

I want my money back ASAP! the Whole $89.00, or else I will be contacting a lawyer about the false advertisement that they have on the Television and Radio about eharmony.com. Somebody, please help.

Tip for consumers: If you do not get your money back Let's petition to sew. I know a guy who has the power to air them all over the broadcast stations!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Dear Ms G. I'm sorry to hear you've had any trouble on the site. You should be able to delete your own photos by going into your Profile, click Manage Photos. in the lower right corner of the displayed photo is a trashcan icon. Click on that and the photo should be deleted. Regarding a lack of matches, I'd be happy to review your account and see what we can do to improve your experience. Please contact us at membersupport@eharmony.com from the email address on your account.

Sincerely,

Scott
eharmony Customer Care
annal226
Anna L.
7/5/18

eHarmony is scamming users just to get the payments. They are fraudulent and their matching system is a total fraud and complete scam. Dont buy this idea of meeting someone on this site.

nateb41
7/4/18

My opinion is that this is another piece of trash way for someone to make money. In comparison of 'dating sites' a few months ago, Consumer Reports had this rated among the best. Guess they missed it this time. I've been on this site for 'bout 7 months.

I've had about 3 (maybe) appropriate matches-with long waits in between for ANY matches. I went 2000 miles to meet someone-turns out he had already met someone but didn't want to mess up my trip. We had a very nice time anyway. (no-not a hook-up thing). I've had a few uncomfortable communications with matches-what disturbed me is that this person I went to meet, and his hopeful as well, had similar uncomfortable communication with these same people.

I rated it average. Average isn't good! It means it's like the other sites that are worthless. Oh Well!! I probably am done with 'dating sites'. Good luck. Too bad piano bars went out!

soleilw
6/26/18

I joined for six months because of a good promo price. I got 8 matches the first week, then fewer and fewer. Month five - no matches at all. Zero.
I live in a busy (high traffic) metropolitan area. The minimum distance allowed is 30 miles. One match I met lives 40 miles away. After an afternoon date, it took him an hour and a half to get home.
I prefer to date people of the same race. The last match (last month) was a 50 minute drive AND of a different race. Stay clear of this site!

elainea49
6/19/18

This dating site is such a rip off and not worth it at all. I never go on dating sites and thought this one would be better since they are so known and charge so much, but I was very wrong. Me and a co-worker went through the whole questionnaire and at the end it wouldn't let you go month-to-month, you were required to pay for 3 months at $180.00. She got out and said forget it. I stupidly did not. Few hours later, they offered her the same membership, but for 1/3 of the price. I e-mailed them about that and they refused to at least honor the price my co-worker was offered. This is a joke and really bad business practice. Even worse, every person I'm match with is old enough to be my dad or looks older than my dad. This has been such a complete waste of my time and money. I should have just went on the free sites my friends all do and easily find good people without being screwed over.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Elaine, I'm sorry to hear you've had any issues with the prices and with your matches. It sounds like your match preferences for Age may not be set to best reflect your preferences. If you'd email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address on your account, I'd be happy to take a look at your preferences and also see if there's anything I can do about your subscription rate.
johnj200
6/18/18

I've recently started using eHarmony and my biggest complaint is that the site completely disregards your search preferences. I have the distance set to 30 miles and it shows me results for 60-90+ miles. Based off my search settings I clearly I have no interest in dating someone on the opposite side of the state. I've emailed their customer support multiple times about this issue & their response is always basically "oh your sh*t out of luck". I have a paid account so there's no reason they can't search within my demographics. This site is a waste of money and time.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi John - If you have received a match that is outside your current Match Preferences, this is most likely a Flex Match. Flex matches are created when anything other than “Very Important” is selected under your Importance setting. Contact me at MemberCare@eharmony.com and I can confirm, and resolve, this issue for you.
jg197
6/10/18

This site supposedly matches people based on personality and values, trying to downplay the bottom line fact that no matter how much people find themselves aligned personality wise, it still comes down to a gut feeling, a visceral and physical attraction when you meet them in person. The three people I met in three months, each became a friend or acquaintance, but I was the "great catch, but not for me." More disconcerting, I got the feeling that the women on eHarmony tend to be less considerate and courteous than other sites, like they're too good for anyone they aren't attracted to; numerous women didn't have the simple courtesy or politeness to even acknowledge a thoughtful, earnest message. It's like walking up to someone, smiling and saying hello and they glare you, turn and walk off with out even acknowledging you said something to them. I'd call that rude. Most people would appreciate a "Thanks for your message, good luck in your search." as opposed to being ignored.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi J.G, My name is Scott and I'm sorry to hear you've been disappointed with the site. Please know that we understand that it’s important for you to be physically attracted to your matches. This is part of establishing chemistry, which is essential to a relationship, but it's only part of it. Our goal is to ensure that we’re matching you with highly compatible people. When it comes to attraction, we have to leave that part to you, because it’s something that only you can determine. We encourage you to take the time to get to know each of your matches and communicate with them, then decide if there is any sort of connection. Regarding matches not responding, unfortunately you are going to end up with matches who don't reply to messages. I'd like to see if there's anything I can suggest that might improve your chances of receiving responses from matches. Please email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address tied to your eharmony account.
ginae19
6/4/18

I signed up for eHarmony not realizing how the site worked, but seeing the commercials online. It said I could use the site for free but then wouldnt give me access to practically anything without purchasing a membership including see other peoples pictures! I signed up for the one I could afford right now, and then realized that they only gave me access to a few people a day only one of which I was interested in. When I tried to message him, I was informed he was no longer available, meaning he either found someone or gave up on this website too. I then went online and started reading some of the reviews. I quickly realized this was NOT for me and I emailed the customer support within an hour of signing up to let them know I did not want to use their services and would like to cancel and receive a refund. The terms of service said you had three days to cancel the service if you were not satisfied. The email I received back ignored my request entirely and said they would set my account to not renew when my payment plan was up. I emailed them back saying this was not what I had asked and I wanted a refund and my membership cancelled immediately. No reply... that was three days ago. How convenient.

michelem185
6/1/18

Doesn't give you good matches, people rarely message you and it was very expensive for basically no results. Doesn't hold up to what is advertised and prices are listed incorrectly, charged way more than what I selected. Do Not Use!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Michele, My name is Scott and I'm sorry to hear you've not been happy with your matches or communication. I'd like to see if there's anything we can do to improve your experience. I'd also like to hear more about the pricing mismatch you noted. Please email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address tied to your account.
rickk101
5/26/18

I joined this scam a month ago. I thought the reviews might be disgruntled people or w-e. They are all 100% right! They will not refund, many of the matches are canned same profile with a different picture. Terrible support. I AGREE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME , ENERGY OR DREAMS ON THIS SITE. EHARMONY IS A SCAM AND NEEDS TO HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BROUGHT AGAINST THEM!

winne7
5/22/18
• Updated review

So I have been waiting for my subscription to expire so I can close my account. Well they sent me an e-mail a couple of weeks ago. Good news, they have extended my subscription for 3 months at no cost to me! Thanks but I'm not excited. Since my last review I have received one e-mail from a guy that I never reached out to, telling me he is now seeing someone. Who cares, I never wrote to him. Another guy asked to see more photos of me, probably wants to see me in a bikini or lingerie. I blocked him. The photos of people are crazy looking. Some are in black and white. One guy was on a horse and you see the horse but he was cut off at the waist so you can't see his face. I laugh when I see these photos. I see they have started up their ads again and these "couples" that met on eHarmony tell you they are not actors, they are real people that met on the site. If you have to make a disclaimer that's like admitting their ads are false. They know no one will believe these are real couples.

“Waste of time and money”
2/11/18
• Previous review

I should have read recent reviews before signing up. I had been a member seven years ago and actually met a couple of nice guys. Since then I have only been dating on and off. I decided I would go back to eHarmony but it is a different site totally now. You can't even browse profiles on your own, they don't give you that option. All they do is send you matches they say are "compatible". They also live 50 or more miles away. If you don't like any of them too bad. I'm glad I signed up this time for 3 months on a promotion and it didn't cost me too much. Don't waste your money and time. I'm sure had I paid more money I would get more matches but I still won't like any of them. What a scam. I turned off the auto renewal already so they don't take any more of my money.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Winn E, we have made improvements as to our services thus our site will appear different, we hope in a positive fashion. While you do have the ability to browse your received matches, simply searching for matches has not been part of our model. We would like to help you, please reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com
brucev26
5/11/18

The quicksand analogy refers to how once one joins eHarmony it is difficult to cancel. To cancel requires you pay $35.00 and answer a battery of questions allegedly to establish your identity. Of course the $35.00 cost of cancellation is not mentioned when you join. A total ripoff.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Bruce - thank you for the feedback. There is no cancellation fee associated with closing your account. It sounds like you may be referring to a payment plan release. If a request to close an account with pending payments is made outside of our cancellation period, we do require that complete all remaining payments prior to closing. This is the only situation in which a charge would apply to close the account. If this is not your case, please send me more details, and your account information, to MemberCare@eharmony.com and I will look into this for you. - Carlos R.
634 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Don't do eHarmony. Try Plenty of Fish, OurTime, Match.com. If I could give them less than one star I would.

By Tim L.

No. They won't refund you.

By c g.

On your profile where you get asked questions like whats your fav movie and so on. replace any answers you have already left with offensive language which in turn will violate their terms and conditions and they will have no option than to close your account. as for getting a refund good luck.

By Ian B.

I called my credit card company because I cancelled within the three day grace period. Eharmony tried to say I had waited too long and therefore would be no refund. My credit card company disputed the charges, my account was credited and I was just notified that the dispute has been approved. No more eharmony charges. Hoe things work out for you.

By Katie M.

You could go to bingo and see if you meet someone there.

By Rob k.

use a pre paid credit card and only load the amount of the subscription you want onto the card, works every time and they NEVER get your real bank info

By anon a.

Rather than asking the company to cancel subscription remove there source of payment. If payment by credit card: Tell credit card company your card is lost and ask for new one. The new account number should stop renewal. Using a checking account: Ask bank for assistance.Good Luck!

By Daniel B.

Eharmonys phone help did everything possible to deny me any satisfaction or compromise. Truly an awful experience. I ended up complaining to my credit card company. PLEASE.. If you had a bad or unethical experience, complain so that there are fewer victims of such nasty, predatory companies.

By Charles M.

By Daniel B.

E harmony is a total fraud, use any other dating site

By anon a.
Questions? Get answers from the eHarmony staff and other customers.

3 Photos for eHarmony