Review of eHarmony

UserSupport@eharmony.com
2017 Customer choice award

msg7
7/6/18

This company is responsible for false advertising. They took money from my account promising me a service that I don't get.

Furthermore, I loaded some pictures on the site and asked that they are removed or that the interface would be fixed so that I can remove them myself. No response. Another thing is that I do not get any request on my page. I get maybe two matches a week if that, and it is no one to call to report or email. I then asked if I could close my account, they told me that my account has already been paid to the account so it could not be closed but I can be hidden to where I wouldn't be contacted.

Contacted by who? Again. I get two matches a week so why would I choose that option? They are not holding up their end of the bargain.

I want my money back ASAP! the Whole $89.00, or else I will be contacting a lawyer about the false advertisement that they have on the Television and Radio about eharmony.com. Somebody, please help.

Tip for consumers: If you do not get your money back Let's petition to sew. I know a guy who has the power to air them all over the broadcast stations!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Dear Ms G. I'm sorry to hear you've had any trouble on the site. You should be able to delete your own photos by going into your Profile, click Manage Photos. in the lower right corner of the displayed photo is a trashcan icon. Click on that and the photo should be deleted. Regarding a lack of matches, I'd be happy to review your account and see what we can do to improve your experience. Please contact us at membersupport@eharmony.com from the email address on your account.

Sincerely,

Scott
eharmony Customer Care
annal226
Anna L.
7/5/18

eHarmony is scamming users just to get the payments. They are fraudulent and their matching system is a total fraud and complete scam. Dont buy this idea of meeting someone on this site.

nateb41
7/4/18

My opinion is that this is another piece of trash way for someone to make money. In comparison of 'dating sites' a few months ago, Consumer Reports had this rated among the best. Guess they missed it this time. I've been on this site for 'bout 7 months.

I've had about 3 (maybe) appropriate matches-with long waits in between for ANY matches. I went 2000 miles to meet someone-turns out he had already met someone but didn't want to mess up my trip. We had a very nice time anyway. (no-not a hook-up thing). I've had a few uncomfortable communications with matches-what disturbed me is that this person I went to meet, and his hopeful as well, had similar uncomfortable communication with these same people.

I rated it average. Average isn't good! It means it's like the other sites that are worthless. Oh Well!! I probably am done with 'dating sites'. Good luck. Too bad piano bars went out!

soleilw
6/26/18

I joined for six months because of a good promo price. I got 8 matches the first week, then fewer and fewer. Month five - no matches at all. Zero.
I live in a busy (high traffic) metropolitan area. The minimum distance allowed is 30 miles. One match I met lives 40 miles away. After an afternoon date, it took him an hour and a half to get home.
I prefer to date people of the same race. The last match (last month) was a 50 minute drive AND of a different race. Stay clear of this site!

elainea49
6/19/18

This dating site is such a rip off and not worth it at all. I never go on dating sites and thought this one would be better since they are so known and charge so much, but I was very wrong. Me and a co-worker went through the whole questionnaire and at the end it wouldn't let you go month-to-month, you were required to pay for 3 months at $180.00. She got out and said forget it. I stupidly did not. Few hours later, they offered her the same membership, but for 1/3 of the price. I e-mailed them about that and they refused to at least honor the price my co-worker was offered. This is a joke and really bad business practice. Even worse, every person I'm match with is old enough to be my dad or looks older than my dad. This has been such a complete waste of my time and money. I should have just went on the free sites my friends all do and easily find good people without being screwed over.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Elaine, I'm sorry to hear you've had any issues with the prices and with your matches. It sounds like your match preferences for Age may not be set to best reflect your preferences. If you'd email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address on your account, I'd be happy to take a look at your preferences and also see if there's anything I can do about your subscription rate.
johnj200
6/18/18

I've recently started using eHarmony and my biggest complaint is that the site completely disregards your search preferences. I have the distance set to 30 miles and it shows me results for 60-90+ miles. Based off my search settings I clearly I have no interest in dating someone on the opposite side of the state. I've emailed their customer support multiple times about this issue & their response is always basically "oh your sh*t out of luck". I have a paid account so there's no reason they can't search within my demographics. This site is a waste of money and time.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi John - If you have received a match that is outside your current Match Preferences, this is most likely a Flex Match. Flex matches are created when anything other than “Very Important” is selected under your Importance setting. Contact me at MemberCare@eharmony.com and I can confirm, and resolve, this issue for you.
jg197
6/10/18

This site supposedly matches people based on personality and values, trying to downplay the bottom line fact that no matter how much people find themselves aligned personality wise, it still comes down to a gut feeling, a visceral and physical attraction when you meet them in person. The three people I met in three months, each became a friend or acquaintance, but I was the "great catch, but not for me." More disconcerting, I got the feeling that the women on eHarmony tend to be less considerate and courteous than other sites, like they're too good for anyone they aren't attracted to; numerous women didn't have the simple courtesy or politeness to even acknowledge a thoughtful, earnest message. It's like walking up to someone, smiling and saying hello and they glare you, turn and walk off with out even acknowledging you said something to them. I'd call that rude. Most people would appreciate a "Thanks for your message, good luck in your search." as opposed to being ignored.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi J.G, My name is Scott and I'm sorry to hear you've been disappointed with the site. Please know that we understand that it’s important for you to be physically attracted to your matches. This is part of establishing chemistry, which is essential to a relationship, but it's only part of it. Our goal is to ensure that we’re matching you with highly compatible people. When it comes to attraction, we have to leave that part to you, because it’s something that only you can determine. We encourage you to take the time to get to know each of your matches and communicate with them, then decide if there is any sort of connection. Regarding matches not responding, unfortunately you are going to end up with matches who don't reply to messages. I'd like to see if there's anything I can suggest that might improve your chances of receiving responses from matches. Please email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address tied to your eharmony account.
ginae19
6/4/18

I signed up for eHarmony not realizing how the site worked, but seeing the commercials online. It said I could use the site for free but then wouldnt give me access to practically anything without purchasing a membership including see other peoples pictures! I signed up for the one I could afford right now, and then realized that they only gave me access to a few people a day only one of which I was interested in. When I tried to message him, I was informed he was no longer available, meaning he either found someone or gave up on this website too. I then went online and started reading some of the reviews. I quickly realized this was NOT for me and I emailed the customer support within an hour of signing up to let them know I did not want to use their services and would like to cancel and receive a refund. The terms of service said you had three days to cancel the service if you were not satisfied. The email I received back ignored my request entirely and said they would set my account to not renew when my payment plan was up. I emailed them back saying this was not what I had asked and I wanted a refund and my membership cancelled immediately. No reply... that was three days ago. How convenient.

michelem185
6/1/18

Doesn't give you good matches, people rarely message you and it was very expensive for basically no results. Doesn't hold up to what is advertised and prices are listed incorrectly, charged way more than what I selected. Do Not Use!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Michele, My name is Scott and I'm sorry to hear you've not been happy with your matches or communication. I'd like to see if there's anything we can do to improve your experience. I'd also like to hear more about the pricing mismatch you noted. Please email me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address tied to your account.
rickk101
5/26/18

I joined this scam a month ago. I thought the reviews might be disgruntled people or w-e. They are all 100% right! They will not refund, many of the matches are canned same profile with a different picture. Terrible support. I AGREE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME , ENERGY OR DREAMS ON THIS SITE. EHARMONY IS A SCAM AND NEEDS TO HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BROUGHT AGAINST THEM!

winne7
5/22/18
• Updated review

So I have been waiting for my subscription to expire so I can close my account. Well they sent me an e-mail a couple of weeks ago. Good news, they have extended my subscription for 3 months at no cost to me! Thanks but I'm not excited. Since my last review I have received one e-mail from a guy that I never reached out to, telling me he is now seeing someone. Who cares, I never wrote to him. Another guy asked to see more photos of me, probably wants to see me in a bikini or lingerie. I blocked him. The photos of people are crazy looking. Some are in black and white. One guy was on a horse and you see the horse but he was cut off at the waist so you can't see his face. I laugh when I see these photos. I see they have started up their ads again and these "couples" that met on eHarmony tell you they are not actors, they are real people that met on the site. If you have to make a disclaimer that's like admitting their ads are false. They know no one will believe these are real couples.

“Waste of time and money”
2/11/18
• Previous review

I should have read recent reviews before signing up. I had been a member seven years ago and actually met a couple of nice guys. Since then I have only been dating on and off. I decided I would go back to eHarmony but it is a different site totally now. You can't even browse profiles on your own, they don't give you that option. All they do is send you matches they say are "compatible". They also live 50 or more miles away. If you don't like any of them too bad. I'm glad I signed up this time for 3 months on a promotion and it didn't cost me too much. Don't waste your money and time. I'm sure had I paid more money I would get more matches but I still won't like any of them. What a scam. I turned off the auto renewal already so they don't take any more of my money.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Winn E, we have made improvements as to our services thus our site will appear different, we hope in a positive fashion. While you do have the ability to browse your received matches, simply searching for matches has not been part of our model. We would like to help you, please reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com
brucev26
5/11/18

The quicksand analogy refers to how once one joins eHarmony it is difficult to cancel. To cancel requires you pay $35.00 and answer a battery of questions allegedly to establish your identity. Of course the $35.00 cost of cancellation is not mentioned when you join. A total ripoff.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Bruce - thank you for the feedback. There is no cancellation fee associated with closing your account. It sounds like you may be referring to a payment plan release. If a request to close an account with pending payments is made outside of our cancellation period, we do require that complete all remaining payments prior to closing. This is the only situation in which a charge would apply to close the account. If this is not your case, please send me more details, and your account information, to MemberCare@eharmony.com and I will look into this for you. - Carlos R.
karync12
5/3/18

I joined eHarmony on a Saturday night. Previously, I had been a member but we are talking over five years ago. I didn't have a very good experience then either but thought that maybe they got their act together. Boy, was I wrong. It's worse now than it was then.

First, as soon as I logged in I updated my location since I had moved about 700 miles away from where I was when I originally had the account. I started to get sent matches within the first eight hours. Those matches were all located where I used to live. So, naturally, I deleted them. Those types of matches continued. I emailed support. Their response was that my settings were too strict. Um, NO. Try again. I emailed them again explaining what I had done. They gave me the same, obviously scripted, answer. I decided to call because clearly they weren't understanding. This was now day 3 of my trial which was about to expire. I spoke to Matt. He explained that I needed to take the assessment over again since it had been so long since I was on and after that was complete I would start getting matches in my location. That last part made zero sense. You would think it would prevent me from getting ANY matches. You would also think that I would have been prompted to take a new assessment. He also extended my trial period because of this issue. The following day, still no matches. I called again. The woman I spoke to said "oh, I see what needs to be done. We need to refresh your account." Ya, okay. She told me that within the next 24 hrs I would start to get matches. I waited. Still nothing. I called back. They, again, said that I should really consider changing my distance from 30 miles to 60 miles. 1. You mean to tell me there is nobody at all in a 30 mile radius? 2. I am not driving an hour or more to entertain a relationship. Been there. Done that. Not again. I do not have so much time on my hands that I'm going to spend all of it driving. By now, I see that "extending your distance" is their "go-to" statement.

They must use computers from back in the 60s because if your algorithms takes 24 hours or more to match things up then you have serious issues. They make you jump through all of these hoops that put you past their trial period and then you get locked in to paying. This is not fair to the consumer.

I called to cancel at this point. If you can't get it together after being in business this long then you aren't ever getting it together. I spoke to Cody who then tried to encourage me to stay if he added on a free month. Uh, NO. Refund please.

bobd234
5/2/18

A Gift Subscription (in this case a 3-Month Trial) was purchased for a friend who said they'd give it a try. The subscription auto-renews on your credit card before the end of your 'trial subscription'. You can't undo it because you (the cardholder whose name and payment information is on the account) are not the Account Holder. Only they (the gift recipient) can cancel your payments. If the Account Holder forgets their account info, moves, or suddenly disappears, you (the Payer) will be out of luck and continued to be billed on your card ad infinitum. When I asked Customer Service to delete my CC info and stop charging against it since this was only a trial, they refused. I'm sure e-Harmony recognizes the flaw with such gift subscriptions but still maintains such a 'cancellation policy' (even at Gift Buyer's request) because it benefits them. They will not give up MY information even upon MY request and will continue to fraudulently bill MY card until such time as the Account Holder instructs them to stop. Ridiculous! and Costly!

michellef154
4/26/18

No, No, No!! This site is the worst I have tried. It costs a lot, and you only have the choice of looking at the matches they send you. I'm a very fit, relatively attractive 50 year old, very active, woman! My matches are clearly not living the fitness lifestyle and tend to be around 68 years old!!! HA! Don't waste your time. I am requesting a refund.

joea207
4/25/18

Each to there own I s'pose but for me i'd rather get chatting with real singles on wejustfit.com than spending hours answering questions for science. Im not saying it wont work and it probably does but just not how I like to roll.

ti9081
4/23/18

OK - a relative of mine was married from a match on this site. She got lucky.
Very, very lucky after culling out a lot of poor candidates. I am still sifting, putting up with their antiquated matching algorithm. Do you really want someone much, much heavier than you who is miles and miles away? (There are very few local selections and the good ones don't respond!) Then if that person sends you a "smile" (he/she has done so only from seeing your pics and reading a few sentences) -- do you really want to block that person or see his/her pics -- revealing in their activity list that you looked and then blocked that person? Ouch! Who needs to waste time plowing through these so-called "matches?" eHarm should add more selection criteria. If a girl wants hunky guys, give them to her. If a guy wants fit babes, bring them on. eHarm could apply picture recognition algorithms to help find true love. Someone who is an "8" really doesn't want to sift through "2s." This might sound superficial but it is part of the "quality" equation. Someone who eats pizza and drinks beer all day won't feel comfortable around a health-conscious, fitness maven. eHarm keeps milking their old standby "psychological" matching when they should invest less in advertising and self-promoting and more in research and development, bringing themselves into the 21st century. The only reason I am still there is because they took my money in advance -- am waiting for the membership to expire. Not inspiring!

toml175
4/23/18

It's very simple. They don't offer much. You don't search, they match you. They match on an algorithm that doesn't impress. There is no more justification for their methodology than just going on match.com and searching on some keywords to find common interests. Go on a site that has the best odds to meet people. As you can see, all the complaints are the same. You get several matches the first few days, then you get one or two a day. It is very unsatisfying. You will get plenty of "what ifs". eHarmony thinks it's cool for you to go and try to date people that can be four states away from you. It's ridiculous. They will tell you to expand your ciriteria but that won't change much. The logic is simple, use the site that will get you the most opportunity. That is certainly not eHarmony. I don't know anyone personally who has a good thing to say about the site.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Tom,
I'm very sorry to hear you're not happy with your experience so far on eharmony. After almost 18 years in this business, we really do have many success stories of couples who met on the site and are dating, engaged or married. We'd really like the opportunity to work with you to see what we can do to improve your experience. Please reach out to us at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address associated with your account.
denisb61
4/16/18

I created my account with this so called dating site and haven't gotten any actual respond from again so called "matches" during a month. Subscription for 3 months is 108$. After I reported my claim, they stupidly arranged couple sms on my cell, where robot sent me some stupid messages. No money back at all....I have some definitions for this "resource", but have to keep them out of here in order my feedback not to be cancelled....NEVER GO!!!!!!!!

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Denis B. I'm very sorry to hear you're not having a great experience with eharmony. I'd really like a chance to try and help improve things. Please reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address associated with your account.
dennisc91
3/28/18

Am not sure if eHarmony is the best site for finding love cos ive heard about other good one's like tinder and wejustfit.com but for me its good I like it a lot I like the way it works and have had sum gd chats wi girls that id like to have a date with I hope I find sum1.

marieb154
3/24/18

Full of people who say they are looking for long-term relationships but are really looking to hook up. One guy pressed for sex on a first date and then wouldn't stop harrassing me after I refused. When I blocked him from contacting me, he reported ME to eHarmony as a harrasser. They deleted my account without any investigation and refused to refund my remaining time.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Marie B, I wish to help address your concern. Please feel free to reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com and be sure to write from the email address associated with your eharmony account.
gailc78
3/14/18
• Updated review

eHarmony: Please stop repeating: "Hi, I'd love to help address your concerns, please feel free to reach out to me." It's insulting! Where were you when I called several times, emailed and sent letters to you? NOT ONE PERSON cared even a tiny bit about my concern then. It's waaaaaay too late now -- I canceled my membership looooong ago -- Yet, I haven't forgotten how greedy your company was. I'm giving you an "F-" for your customer service grade.

“I called wrote several letters to eHarmony, and received Zip, Zero, NOTHING!”
3/13/18
• Previous review

...Go Fly a Kite, eHARMONY... Your disingenuous response is 100% Bs (bogus)!!! I called, emailed, sent letters to you by post and got nothing back except some poorly copied form letter that didn't even pertain to the situation. Go away... eHarmony. I prefer to call you eGreedy dot com or, "eHarm-to-thee."

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Gail, I’d love to help address your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com and be sure to write from the email address associated with your eharmony account.
“GREEDY THIEVES”
3/11/18
• Previous review

They had "AUTOMATIC RENEWAL" on my account (without my knowledge) and never bothered to email me beforehand to tell me I was up for renewal. Instead, they simply vacuumed the funds out of my bank, then utterly refused to give me even a partial refund.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Gail, I’d love to help address your concern regarding our renewal feature and would be grateful for an opportunity to improve your overall experience. Please reach out to me at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address associated with your account.
lorib133
3/13/18

I joined eHarmony on February 3 as an online dating virgin. I was skeptical; unfortunately, my instincts were right on.

eHarmony breached our contract from the get-go. I was curious for a short-term dating site to get my feet wet, but a 3-month term is the minimum eHarmony offers. I enrolled, and completed the requisite profile, including a contract with eHarmony to honor age parameters, geographic preferences, and physical attributes in exchange for $173 up front.

I was aware of the cancellation policy, and the automatic renewal clause. What I didnt count on was blatant fraud and subpar customer service. I contacted eHarmony a couple of weeks after enrolling to voice my concerns, and I asked for a refund. The rep was hostile and abrupt.

I was provided intriguing profiles for the first three days of the contract, with a mix of men within and outside contractual parameters. The ones I identified as interests mysteriously disappeared from the site after the 3 days. Since, the candidates have been men much older than I, with no regard to education, and far outside geographic parameters. Im seeing men missing teeth, guys sprawled over muscle cars, grandfathers with their grandkids

I thought I did due diligence, but I guess you never know.

This company is a scam.

robk55
3/11/18

This site is expensive and the matches appear to be Inactive for ones that seem good and probably have moved on but they are still listed. They only care about your money and the site is clunky and not easy to use. Try bumble instead and it's free.

Response from Carlos R., eHarmony Representative
Hi Rob, we’d love to get you on a discounted rate. Contact me at membercare@eharmony.com and I can share the details on this discounted plan with minimal commitment, from a term perspective. Additionally, all matches received are active within our services. Lastly, try our app you can download from the various play stores.
xavierg16
3/1/18

If you're a sincere man with money, this is the worst site imaginable for gold-diggers. Men must fight the temptation to reveal their profession to the women online. If I want to give away my money I'll join Sugardaddy.com and find a much younger partner, not some 50 year old with three previous divorces from deadbeats..now looking to recoup her years and financial losses.

Tip for consumers: Try Match, better POF..why pay money to meet no one suitable, when you can do so on POF free????

634 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Don't do eHarmony. Try Plenty of Fish, OurTime, Match.com. If I could give them less than one star I would.

By Tim L.

No. They won't refund you.

By c g.

On your profile where you get asked questions like whats your fav movie and so on. replace any answers you have already left with offensive language which in turn will violate their terms and conditions and they will have no option than to close your account. as for getting a refund good luck.

By Ian B.

I called my credit card company because I cancelled within the three day grace period. Eharmony tried to say I had waited too long and therefore would be no refund. My credit card company disputed the charges, my account was credited and I was just notified that the dispute has been approved. No more eharmony charges. Hoe things work out for you.

By Katie M.

You could go to bingo and see if you meet someone there.

By Rob k.

use a pre paid credit card and only load the amount of the subscription you want onto the card, works every time and they NEVER get your real bank info

By anon a.

Rather than asking the company to cancel subscription remove there source of payment. If payment by credit card: Tell credit card company your card is lost and ask for new one. The new account number should stop renewal. Using a checking account: Ask bank for assistance.Good Luck!

By Daniel B.

Eharmonys phone help did everything possible to deny me any satisfaction or compromise. Truly an awful experience. I ended up complaining to my credit card company. PLEASE.. If you had a bad or unethical experience, complain so that there are fewer victims of such nasty, predatory companies.

By Charles M.

By Daniel B.

E harmony is a total fraud, use any other dating site

By anon a.
Questions? Get answers from the eHarmony staff and other customers.

3 Photos for eHarmony