eBay UK

eBay UK has a consumer rating of 3.08 stars from 104 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. eBay UK also ranks 39th among Marketplace sites. The most common issues with eBay UK are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Certain goods I bought broke after 2-months with no way of getting a refund as the seller had simply changed i.d.
  • THEY WOULDN'T LET THE BUYER SEE THE ITEM BEFORE PURCHASE!
How would you rate eBay UK?

“5/5”

William M.
2/1/20

Always happy with purchases both with quality and delivery time. Prefer it over amazon and no hassle checking out

“Goods not received and courier won't provide evidence of delivery”

R W.
7/29/20

Ebay made me prove I had not received the goods from "Alice" by contacting courier and asking for evidence. I did so 3 times and courier failed to respond on each occasion. Seller has been believed even though I have not had the goods and was in the day(s) the courier said they were delivered - both 8 and 18 June for one item!!! Avoid. I have cancelled my membership of Ebay and caution against seller.

customer service (16) seller (44) item (44) buyer (32) paypal account (3) post office (3) return (13) refund (22)
williamm1523
February 1st, 2020
matthewm590
November 20th, 2019
I can say they deliver what they show on their site. need to improve their delivery time took over a week to deliver my parcel.
rw448
July 29th, 2020
fayeg32
November 15th, 2019
Why is eBay full of Chinese fakes these days? It's not as good as it used to be, and their customer service and refunds policy has really gone down hill. So disappointing
kevinc532
December 14th, 2018
I love Ebay, I spend hours on it almost every day. However, I am going to give my 2 cents worth on the downsides. Their website could be drastically improved. There are a lot of issues with searching for items.

For example I live in Ireland but when I search for items with shipping to Ireland items that won't ship come up in the search. This slows my search drastically. It is very easy to get caught out on shipping too. When you are doing your search items have a shipping cost at the bottom of the add. When you click into the ad this could change drastically. Also the shipping charges are very often excessively high. I can almost always beat there prices as a private consumer with a courier than they charge and by quite a margin.

When purchasing more than one item from a seller, the price for shipping often goes up at the same rate. This is sharp practice in my opinion. I also take issue with navigating the after sales/customer service side of things. It is very frustrating and you would need to go on a course to figure it all out.

All in all, I am happy with Ebay. I cannot wait until they extend the full buyer protection beyond Pay Pal. A very welcome development indeed.
stylem2
February 8th, 2019
Men Western Indian Leather Jacket Beige, Fringe and Beads

Please feel free to contact for more colors and options.

· Stylish Jacket - Gives you style and comfort while wearing it.

· A great fashion western style leather jacket.

· This jacket comes in different leather types.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Shirt collar with closure in front

Fringes on the arms, shoulders and the back
laryl1
August 25th, 2017
I loved the idea and the concept of ebay but their customer service is very bad.
I would recommend to pay via your credit card and not use pay pal.
wajida5
December 21st, 2018
I bough phone accessories several times from them and the amazing thing about them is the customer service, they are fast, reliable and Original products.
Highly Recommended
davidn32
January 28th, 2015
I have bought some good stuff through Ebay in the past. But of late I have been ripped off by rogue sellers on numerous occasions. Usually sub standard goods issues and even dangerous goods. Recently bought some rechargeable batteries that started to burn when I tried to charge them, just one of many problems. I find E bay try to deter you from leaving negative feedback so I dont even belive the feedback stats any longer. Too risky, I am an ex buyer.
andrewn54
November 2nd, 2017
Ebay almost always favors the buyer in case of any disputes or problems, so have that in mind if you'd like to start selling your stuff there.
charlottec38
April 17th, 2017
I hardly had a problem shopping at ebay, and they respond effectively and quickly if you don't receive an item. The only thing I would change is that they should allow to put more detailed feedback and also change it when necessary. I recommend Ebay
shanem54
April 11th, 2016
great shopping on-line but when i comes to selling be very careful as you can get into debt like i have when things are automatically re-listed if you tick the box.but overall i think they could be a little bit more fair regarding listing fees and also regarding holding funds as a new customer /seller but they still like taking their fees thats what is really frustrating.but as a buyer great site 100% recommend Shane, Manchester uk.
graemec1
March 15th, 2014
Ebay sellers are currently fighting a losing battle against buyer fraud on Ebay, and why can't their be a rating system allowing sellers to rate their customers. A recent telephone conversion with a member of Ebays customer support team left me disgusted, I was told "their is no way that a system will be put in place to allow sellers to rate their buyers as we will loose buyers which happened before and is why the system was removed" If sellers do report a buyer an they are investigated, due to data protection they will not get any kind of feedback whatsoever regarding the investigation which may or may not have taken place.

Online selling across all ecommerce platforms knowingly is becoming increasingly competitive, more so on fee based shopping channels with their manipulating systems and high seller fees. Unfortunately Ebay only makes the competition that much harder as the non existent seller protection keeps ebays turnover from falling and the sellers taking the losses in their favour.

I believe their is a way we can allow sellers from all online ecommerce platforms to record and search for suspected dishonest buyer claims. Thorough a data base which would be accessed through registration, allowing for verification of the user and in line with the data protection act. Once live for a short period of time and presuming that people are willing to enter data in regards to buyer claims the data base will enable read outs on Usernames/UserID's, including information such as returns, lost parcels and a whole list of other similar statistics. It will grow to enable many other types of statistics to be generated within the unfortunate area of online fraud. The statistics which we are not informed of by many companies due to a potential loss of their customer bases will be readily available and could potentially be an invaluable source for many businesses with concerns in regards to fraud online. Your comments would be much appreciated regarding this and if you are a person willing to enter data in a simple way please say and thank you for your interest.
allisters
August 3rd, 2017
I hate to admit it i use ebay at least 3/4 times a month, never had a bad experience so far, i've had some good deals, and have found even the brand new stuff is cheaper to buy here than online.
sallys51
February 22nd, 2016
I have been a member on eBay for over 5 years.
In the last six weeks I have not sold one item yet eBay still took fees nearly £8.
What for? No listing fees and no sales.
Come on eBay get real.
If you call customer services to complain about eBay they hang up on you.
You can't win.
rosinap3
January 9th, 2018
Keep away do not ever buy from ebay seller -super-mxw. You will never get your items and its hell to try get a refund. He will answer your messages but you will get the same message over and over again he doesnt understand english or pretends not too when it comes to paying back what is yours. 11 months i ve waited for my parcel to this day still not arrived and for 8months im trying to get a refund. He will that the mickey out of you sending you back messages with nothing more than a sad face very unprofessional and rude for a seller towards his customers. Please stay away the stress is not worth it. This seller shouldnt even be allowed to sell. Beware stay away.
shelbyd
July 28th, 2012
This site is really good is your a buyer looking for a bargain buy. Although you should be wary or bad sellers that sell fake stuff, don't ship on time or are just silly. But I've had some good sellers on there, once I ordered a yoshi bag for a tenner(ish) and got it the very next morning! :D

BUT, if you're a normal person looking to sell some old stuff from the attic or under the bed then I'm not so keen. There are so many fees involved in selling your item and I think the percentage they take off your final sale price is really cheeky! I sold a kinect on there and was amazed at the difference in the sale price to the price I got after the fees were took off. I'm sure it's an amazing site for business's.
raymonh3
May 13th, 2019
I regularly look to renew my cars and used to use ebay UK to aid my search, as I live in france but prefer to drive right hand drive cars as I visit my family in the UK quite often mit is not easy for me to simply pop on to a forecourt to view possible choices.
I have found that almost every advertisement for a private sale is a dealer, every statement of service history is a lie and almost every car has at least one accident in its history. When I report the most egregious cases to ebay they do nothing and deny any responsibility to investigate or check the frequent fraudulent users and they money lost to them. Caveat emptor has never been more applicable. Don't use the site or if you must check the MOT history via the government web site and do a full HPI check even though this is expensive if you are just looking .
Also watch out for the stolen user id's. exellent feedback for selling anything other than cars or items below 10 pounds yet suddenly they are selling dozens of high priced cars.
I regularly find multiple instances of this and examples of phishing sites, so be very careful who and how you contact anyone. It is a great shame that ebay does not care to clean up this part of its on line empire, some of the other sections are excellent.
mikec319
June 30th, 2017
Iv always used eBay, find the right buyer one with experience and plenty of reviews and no issues. Ebay idea for anything your looking for, its important you research the buyer before your purchase, give them a call send them an email ask any questions you might have. For any complications or issues ebay is always there to help
helens8
February 12th, 2012
I am a relative newbie to eBay and in principle I think it is great. Great idea, great mobile app and some great finds to be had out there in cyber auction land.

But....

My beef is that I don't think their customer service is up to scratch.

99.9% of people operating on eBay are honest, and I have bought things and had them come so carefully and beautifully wrapped that I have felt guilt stricken for the knock down price I've picked them up for. Mind you I have also sold stuff at silly money myself and diligently wrapped and trotted of to the post office as soon as the 99p hit my Paypal account! So that's all good. That's when eBay is doing what it should do and is at its best. But I just don't feel they are able to address problems. Even relatively simple ones.

An issue I have had twice now is getting something that is significantly different in quality to what was advertised. When this happens eBay customer support are great at getting on to the seller and advising you that if you return the item you will get a refund. The problem is the item must be returned by tracked mail in order for the process to work. The actual dispute resolution process requires the tracking number. And also if you are dealing with someone who has been less than honest in the first place, well, let's face it you are going to want to track your return.

Tracked mail is expensive. I have had to pay £13.45 to get a refund of £45. I took the hit on this one because it was a private seller and I felt I had no choice.

I currently however have a similar situation but this time with a business seller. Commercial sellers on eBay are covered by the UK Distance Selling Regulations. But some seller and eBay itself do not seem to understand or accept this. They have asked me umpteen times to foot the bill for the tracked return of a faulty item. In this instance it will cost me half the value of the item to return it. I am going round and round in circles with customer service representatives who do not seem to understand quite rudimentary regulations and who just keep replying with the same answer.

I imagine I will eventually just give up. But also, sadly, I think I will end up giving up on eBay. It's all just a bit too much of a gamble. And it only takes you to be swindled once or twice to lose the benefit of all the bargains you have had. Which is very sad for those honest people behave within the rules on the site.

I think it will be back to Amazon for me. They really are the gold standard for customer service. A site where you really can shop in total security and knowing that you will be looked after if there is a problem.
anthonyw38
September 5th, 2016
Huge variety of items and getting a bargain is fairly common. Watch out for ultra cheap imports from China, They are poorly made and can be fire hazards.
nk50
April 22nd, 2019
Clothes ridiculously small. Ask you to pay for returns then never refund you. Liars and cheats and time wasters. Avoid.
maxl44
April 17th, 2017
I just move myself to Amazon. Honestly i open my account in 2002. I just delete everything lately EBay became unreliable and dishonest.
AVOID IT. Also they use Paypal is horrible and avoid post services as
ParcelForce. Ebay became totally crap.
cordialt
January 21st, 2017
Wrote a review on this mega market from a seller's perspective (Dealing with company policy & how to get your feet wet). nonetheless reading similar reviews i came across many 1 star reviews and reading it, i realize a seller's nightmare. mostly people were upset because they do not read. ebay usually offers several of the same item from diverse sellers. it is a marketplace that is very rigorous for sellers to pass. So when consumers are not even willing to choose carefully then blame the seller is bluntly stated pretty lame. With that out of the way, if you research your item and research your seller you will see clear pattern of someone you want to or not want to deal with. just like in "real life" when you walk in a store and the "vibe" you get is similar to the sellers feedback on ebay or how their inventory appears ...SO as a shopper, take your time. watch items, research how much they sold for and if you are patient you will find hard to find items for fraction of the cost of retail. remember ebay sellers want you to have a good experience because their status depends on it :) So overall ebay is a pretty safe marketplace to do business on and even if there is a small hickup that usually can be worked out with the sellers before ebay has to step in. Have fun. join the future. big box stores will be a thing of the past before we know it. Last but not least i have purchased hundred items on ebay over last decade and 99% accuracy/great condition. Just gotta read a little. :)
justicej5
June 19th, 2019
Don't be fooled by Hausrange 100% positive feedback. I knew i was fooled once and writing this for potential buyer out there.
I bought an item based on their 100% positive feedback and Uk based.Item did not arrived on estimated date and waited another 2 days but it did not arrive at all.
Contact seller and offer to resend i ve refused as this item for birthday present so no point.( it really cause inconvenience as i have to go looking for other item at last minute)

They state the reason is because their courier service damaged the item , and also other reason that are not add up the whole story.
Please do check on their natural feedback which reviewed on the same courier issues.
I've bought my item after reading this feedback(my bad) and they obviously done nothing to prevent this problem from occurring again.
For 100% positive feedback seller, this problem should not happen.

Another DISTURBING FACT- this seller have a habit of deleting their negative review.
I know that because i leave one, and as i check on their page every so often , they did the same with other people who leave negative review and they've done it pretty quickly.
Its like they re power seller in ebay and nobody can touch them.
If you do buy form them and leave a review- maybe leave neutral instead negative, at least your review wont get deleted.
Its an obvious seller that cheat buyer with their corrupt 100% positive feedback

Questions? Get answers from the eBay UK staff and other customers.

Buy and sell electronics, cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, digital cameras, baby items, coupons, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eBay UK?

Have a question about eBay UK?