Review of Chess.com

Tel: +1-801-880-1098
info@wholesalechess.com

robertp896
3/12/19

Chess.com is frustrating to play. Slow, lags, inconsistent performance and gameplay even in the same game.

Lichess has a much better interface.

peerb1
Peer b.
3/5/19

I notice that there's a lag when I moved my peaces. So many times when you've moved there suddenly is an other peace moved. Also getting warnings that I rejected a game. But I didn't. Also a lot players using chess engines. And the most irritating thing is that when you leave a comment ,they delete you.
They are bad losers.

jimv155
2/25/19
• Updated review

I sent an e-mail to David and was instructed to reach out to support@chess.com. Basically, I am being sent around in a circle. I am not going to bother sending any more messages to them since I have done that 3 times already, so further communications are pointless. This is just further support for my review of chess.com customer service, which I think is fair to say is non-existent!!

Again, I encourage everyone to take advantage of other websites which are worthy of support.

“Horrible customer service and lack of support”
2/21/19
• Previous review

I play on many websites, and chess.com is the absolute worst in terms of responding to people. I got several messages during my games about suspicious activity on my account, and had no idea why because I do not use chess engines, which I assume this is all about. It is interesting that I have never once got such a notification on other sites, all of which have a "fair play" policy. I tolerated this nonsense for a while, and, finally, they just decided to close my account without any explanation, and when I reached out to them, I got absolutely no reply. It seems that if you are going to accuse someone, you ought to have some proof. But the chess.com motto is "cheater until proven innocent". Perhaps it is because I am not one of their premium members, so they did not want to waste time on me. Anyhow, their algorithm produced a false positive, but they do not seem to care. I guess they think I am a chess engine, which suggests to me that my play is improving,so perhaps I should take this as a compliment! I am curious if other people have had this happen to them.

I would advise anyone interested in improving their chess game to go elsewhere. One place to strongly consider is lichess.org. Become a patron and support a website that is worthy of support. And you can actually get a response from their customer service folks as well. If you are really intent on a subscription service, then subscribe to playchess.com. The value of that site far exceeds anything you can possibly get on chess.com.

As far as people using chess engines to play against me, I really do not care. There is no satisfaction to winning a game that you really did not win, and you will never improve this way. In the end, a high rating means nothing unless you can back it up by your own play.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear Jim,

We would not ban anyone with a solid reason. Please, send me a message to david.kaufmann@chess.com and I will be happy to help.

mathewg25
2/5/19

Its good for everything except playing chess. Lags so badly. Pairing takes a lot of time. players are disrespectful. A lot of cheaters.

alanh235
1/28/19

I was a paying member for 2 years then I stopped when I realized that my game is not getting any better. Not necessarily the chess.com fault I agree, but when I went back to play as a non-member the 3 minutes and the 5 minutes games the system would freeze my pieces and take away my ability to move my pieces in the last minute or saw and always when I was winning!! I remembered the same thing used to happen to my non-member opponents in the past, they would be winning and stop playing with only 1 minute to go when they were winning!!! What a shame. The 4th time this happened to me I promised myself not to ever play chess on this website and probably never online. They made me hate online chess. Will always recommend against this website.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear Alan. I am really sorry to hear that. Could you please email me at david.kaufmann@chess.com so as we can take a look please?

I would be more than happy to help you with all these issues.

charliev25
1/28/19

Product has failed since their new version. .. have complained and complained and done all their million solutions but nothing works. .. I am paid up until September but they are ignoring me about my request for a refund... I want to move on and use a service that works but they want to keep the money despite it not working... After 5 years on here this is a nasty taste in the mouth... seems they are greedy fat cats after all... not a "community" site like they like to make out

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear Charlie. I am really sorry to hear that! This does not represent the way we work. Please, send me an email to david.kaufmann@chess.com and I will make sure to make you a refund IMMEDIATELY.

At your complete disposal,

nicholash118
1/16/19

Poor customer service and high latency. Seems like they are way over capacity on their servers, while refusing to add more servers.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear Nicholas. I am here to help you. Please, write me at david.kaufmann@chess.com and I will be more than happy to try to help resolve the issues you are facing with your account.

Wish you all the best,

vanceb28
12/24/18

I was a paying member for years. Then canceled the credit card I was using to pay. Could not figure out how to switch to another credit card. Asked. Many times. No helpful reply. Bottom line, I am no longer a paying member. Now, as of a few weeks ago, Chess.com has taken away my messaging privileges. Chat is disabled in all of my games. My opponents know that they didn't disable chat, so they assume that I did. I have no way to tell them that I didn't. Losing chess friends over this. Asked Chess.com to fix the problem. Several times, in fact. Not even the courtesy of a reply.

Quick update ... David Kaufmann has been great, as in, polite and professional in getting back to me promptly, so I do appreciate that. And he also clarified why I am muted (I sent some harsh messages to other members who were rude to me first and, on that basis, probably deserved to be told what I had to say to them). Difference of opinion aside, it is their site, not mine, so I accept that I am bound by the rules. I just wish that 1) I knew what those rules were and 2) I was given a warning the first time I violated said rules. Since I never did get any kind of warning at all, I figured that I was probably NOT violating any rule (I'm sure the list of policies would be available somewhere, but I have never found it). Now that I am aware, I agree to these terms. Doesn't matter. I will NEVER get out of chess jail unless I open a new account. But I already have my chess friends tied to this account. Tough dilemma. Of course, I cannot open a new account and still keep this one going at the same time, so really damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
We are really sorry for that dear Vance! Could you please send me an email to my personal email address (David.kaufmann@chess.com). I will make sure to personally handle your issue.

Thank you so much and I am really sorry for all your inconveniences.

hannahp158
12/10/18

Chess.com has the first step of a tournament!!! A great source in my family.To be honest, I do have one con. The chat could be rude. I have got called a "loser". And somebody said "Bad Move". No problem with that just go in to settings and turn off chat. If you agree with this review and download the app 95% turn off chat.I do like that you can play some one and choose up to 30 min. A big question is "Are they bots?" No they are not. My proof is that I coordinated with a friend and searched the account and guess what, It worked.If you don't know how to play. Play a lesson . If you want to use your skills play a tactic.BTW you only have to pay $5 for more tactics everyday. Please show chess.com support by making an account or as many as you can. I hope my review convinsed you to get Chess.com.

joshk100
11/23/18

When I played a blitz tournament on chess.com, I made a move and then my opponent somehow pulled a queen out of nowhere and checkmated me. He must have found someway to hack into the software and do this. If there was a coach present and saw what happened my opponent would have received a huge penalty for cheating. Atleast I play by the rules. After that game, I played in an online tournament, and in the middle of the game, I wanted to offer a draw. Well, the draw button was missing. Then I clicked out of the game and logged back in and there it was the draw and resign button. There must be a glitch in the website. I want to know how one of my opponents literally pulled a queen out of his ass and check mated me. I will delete my account on chess.com, and never go back on the website again. I will not be cheated on by the website.

elliotz4
11/14/18

I joined Chess.com to play with some friends. I got into it and soon was watching a lot of videos. Next thing I know I'm banned. They never exactly told me in any specific terms the reason. But they have a magical algorithm or statistics that say I must have used outside help, though I didn't. Clearly they do this just to try to take your money and run. From everything I've read they have lots of actual cheaters with fake accounts they do nothing about. Yet they ban real customers who do nothing wrong. Stay away!

Tip for consumers: Don't

guyb75
10/18/18

It's all cheaters, bots whatever. Complete waste of time if you want to play a real person. They will "analyze" your game after you play against a "person" and tell you about a bunch of mistakes you made but will tell you what they are only if you buy something. YOU ARE WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME WITH YOUR SHADY SITE!

mikek399
10/15/18

I just reached out to chess.com yesterday because I noticed that everytime I realized I was playing a bot, (you can tell by the profile sometimes and lack of history). However everytime I played a bot hiding under a low rating only for them to use expert techniques in the final seconds to win. I believe they do this to keep ratings down so people buy memberships to their site and they can then hope to become a better chess player.
Chess.com doesn't let you block users though. If you block them you will still get matched up with any of their hundreds of fake bots that run all the time. It's not fair if a free member or a paying member wants to play a "live person" they should have the choice. And if they want to never play a certain user (regardless if they are real or a bot) they should be able to restrict that user from being matched up ever again and having their rating lowered (and simply time wasted). I reached out to chess.com help support and then today they just disabled my account with no response at all, all because I emailed them calling them out on the user blocking not working and simply asking them how do I fix it. Rather than tell me it's a real tech support issue they disable my account? So because I discovered their secret rather than find a work around they decide to try and hide my knowledge from the public. Forget them. That's so shady.

ameliar31
9/18/18

I've never won the opponent. The timing is programmed somehow on the behalf of the opponent. I do not recommend wasting time by playing chess at this site.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Good morning dear Amelia. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences. As you can imagine, we would never manipulate the time of any of the games. If you see strange issues, it could be because of the internet, the lag compensation and many other factors.

We will be more than happy to help you at support@chess.com

mandys53
8/16/18

Well in chess.com my opponent was a time cheat, I played bullet and my opponents time went slowly, while my time went at the speed of light. Also one player forced a draw when they were losing, it was the same move again and again.

myratingisf
7/11/18

Bans me for allegedly cheating with no evidence. Full of overrated weak players, got 2200 live blitz on that site while only 1900 in lichess.

The ratings on this site says everything LOL.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear chess player. We are sorry for the inconvenience. As you can image, we work really hard to prevent cheating on Chess.com. We would love to speak with you so as to speak about the possible mistake we have made. Please, send us an email to support@chess.com

alc102
6/26/18

For the past several months, it's infuriating to try and play short time controls at chess.com. Their servers are beyond terrible. I have lost countless games on time, because moves I play in less than half a second take over 4 to travel to the distant realm of chess.com's server. Even pre-moves often take over two seconds, instead of the standard 0.1. I don't know what sort of problem that is, if it's local, and I'm sure it doesn't happen to GMs in the site's much advertised death matches and live streams. I know it's not me, because it happens regardless whether I am playing from home or elsewhere, and more importantly, because it has never happened on chess24, where I occasionally play.

Chess.com is the largest chess playing site. Ensuring an at least decent user experience should be their first priority, but this huge problem has persisted for so long now that it seems they either do not care, or can't fix it. Neither option is appealing.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
We are so sorry to hear that dear AI. Could you please send us a message to support@chess.com so as we can speak with you and make sure all the connections problems have disappeared?

Thank you so much for your time and sorry for all the inconveniences.

johnh1473
6/17/18

this website is rigged , the timing is fixed for members to win , if your opponent is losing they had time, i even record the games sometimes just to study the moves and all you see time is being fixed , i just play for the fun of it lose or win,chesscube is way better than chess.com, my username is spellmyname

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
I am really sorry to hear that John! One thing I would like to mention is that we do not alter the timing of games. When these things happen, it is all about the internet connection and lag. We have NEVER manipulated games or clocks :)

What we would love to do is speak with you at support@chess.com so as we can make sure this issue is solved and you do not experience any other inconvenience.

At your complete disposal,

bonag1
6/2/18

The ios app doesn't even have the report bottom and when you play through the web app and report cheaters, you will never get any response. The game says abort with no penalty but when you do you lose score. People use abusive language and the timer is not synced. I wish there was a way not to give them a single star.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Good afternoon dear Bona,

First of all, our apologies for the inconveniences. We have some good news! We are working on including the report button and it will soon be there. In case you have any issue while this is being done, please do not hesitate to send us an email to support@chess.com with a screenshot, and we will take the necessary steps so as you do not find any abusive users or experiences.

Thank you so much and we remain at your disposal for anything you could need.

anthonyc289
5/18/18

On May 3 - 8, I had been on the website. I saw the $29 fee plan but did not opt for it. I lost interest in chess.com . However, on May 10, 2018, Chess.com went ahead and charged my credit card $29. The phone number that appeared with that charge, 1-800-318-2827 is never answered by a person. only an answering machine on which I have plaintively made my request for a cancellation of the $29. I have left that message every day for now eight days. So, it seems that Chess.com is poorly administered, rather sleazy, with perhaps some 'web-fraud' tendencies.
Tony Carleton my email is tonycarleton@gmail.com

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Good afternoon dear Anthony,

First of all, my apologies for the confusion/problem. When you start a Free Trial, we inform you always that in case that you do not cancel in 7 days, you will be charged. Anyway, we always want our users to be happy and that is why if you are not happy, we are going to send you a refund RIGHT NOW.

Regarding the phone, it is a system that allows users to leave us messages and we DO check them.

Please, write us an email to support@chess.com and we will gladly make you a 100% refund.

Thank you so much for your time and sorry for any inconvenience.

johnc1400
4/29/18

A couple years of one on one games was good, no problems there. Then I discovered the multiplayer games with four players per game. Bully central. Every game had verbal abuse of some kind. The site should have an age restriction.

I reported two incidents of bullying and harsh language, but heard nothing about their response. After the second reporting, all my chat functions were shut down. I could no longer see what players were typing. That was their solution I guess: silence the ones who report abuse.

About as good as any other place. Just don't let your kids near it.

alim133
3/9/18

Very frustrating system. If you pay, then you will win...
if you pay, your time will NOT run out!!! So many computerized players, so many cheaters. Moreover when you try to review the profile of your opponent and finds him\her is not fair playing and have many negative comments, then you choose not to start playing, you will be punished as if you lost the game and of course lower your rating.. Thanks anyway but your policy is very annoying!!

ryanm187
3/2/18

Despite claiming to be a free website with so many useful sources of tips, the actual game is terrible if you don't remove ads. Bullet and sometimes even blitz is a joke if you constantly lag from ad updates. It also becomes so hard to concentrate for other game modes when you have video ads along the side of the screen. I seriously would like to see this site cater more towards the avid chess player than money hungry ad companies.

dennisd77
2/6/18

After a few hours of playing you run into obviously fake connection problems that can be solved by buying a magic subscription...

tendyw
1/29/18

Biggest is not always best. Many bugs and often not available. Hard to use interface. While I personally obviously have no proof, but it appears the website is being used for commercial gains by a lot of "players", so there are a lot of cheaters.

Response from David K., Chess.com Representative
Dear Teny. We have a strong anti-cheating policy. You can check it out here: https://www.chess.com/article/view/chess-com-fair-play-and-cheat-detection And the most important thing is that you can simply send a message to support@chess.com and we will gladly help with you anything. You just need to reach out and we will be there for anything you may need.

At your completely disposal.

3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Probably you have your account restricted for some reason. Please, send us an email to support@chess.com and we will happily take a look. Thank you so much!

By David K., Chess.com Representative

Good morning dear Arving. There is an arrow at the top-right of the board, thanks to which you can make the board smaller or bigger. If you have any doubt about this, we will be more than glad to help you at support@chess.com All the best, The Chess.com Team

By David K., Chess.com Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Chess.com staff and other customers.

Chess.com?