Review of BillionGraves

Lehi, Utah 84043, United States
info@billiongraves.com

jeanlynd
11/4/18

The website is still under ongoing Data collection . I'm sure if this will be managed carefully and all cemeteries around the world be Geotagged , this will surely be a very useful tool for familysearch . I'm excited for this site to be available to everyone soon . For now searching for ancestors in this site is not yet recommended .

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Our data is in the process of collection. However, searching for ancestors on our site is highly recommended. Why? Because if you do not find a photograph of your family you can have the opportunity of providing one, or requesting one. I live in the state of Utah, but have traveled to California, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Maryland and West Virginia to gather information for the site. (I like to do this for fun!) If you have kin that are buried close by, and you would like to volunteer we would love to see how you could capture their monuments. Not only does the app capture the GPS data, but it also captures high quality photographs. If you live far away from your family cemeteries, there are many volunteers throughout the world, that would be happy to help you!
kristinap50
9/13/18

I found BillionGraves through a linked hint on an ancestors page on FamilySearch (a free service). I was delighted to find a photo of my ancestors grave, something I had looked for myself but was unable to find 20+ years ago. I even sent a thank you message to the volunteer who took the photograph. I tried to add the photo to my ancestors page on FamilySearch, complete with attribution to the photographer and a link to BillionGraves (not trying to steal anything here). A few hours later FamilySearch notified me that the photo was in violation of FS policy and it would be removed. OK, I understand, but why? Then I went and scrounged through the microfine print in a remote corner of the site, well-hidden from the all the FAQ info. Sure enough, BillionGraves has tight intellectual property rights clauses that make it illegal for site users to download, save, or share the information about their ancestor elsewhere. It's completely legal, and I or FamilySearch could be sued for using that image that a generous volunteer dedicated a great deal of time to obtain and submit. I'm a prhotographer, I understand. And now I know the way BillionGraves works and will most likely not use their services again. I'm grateful I logged in via Facebook and didn't give them a dime. I now understand how they are making money.

Response from Hudson G., BillionGraves Representative
Hi Kristina, I'm sorry that you had that experience with FamilySearch when attaching records to your tree. We have a wonderful business relationship with FamilySearch and have no problems with users connecting information to their trees. Not knowing the entire situation, it sounds like a misunderstanding when you received the notice on FamilySearch. Our Terms of Use and Privacy policies allow any user to use the photos for their personal research and non-commercial projects. If using on your tree in public spaces, we ask that you credit the volunteer photographer of the record and a link back to the BillionGraves website. In fact, we have tools that will connect records for you on the FamilySearch family tree at https://billiongraves.com/familysearch-login/. We also sync with your family tree on FamilySearch and provide hinting connections for free at https:///billiongraves.com/tree. Again, we apologize for any misunderstandings between our company, FamilySearch, and your desire to connect records. If we have resolved your concerns, will you please consider updating your rating to match your new experiences. Best wishes, Bonnie from the BillionGraves Team
terryw210
9/1/18

I regret subscribing and spending 60 dollars. I have never found a single piece of information, useful or otherwise, regarding my forefathers. However,I can easily find quality records for the same people from Find-A-Grave.

Also,each time I search for an ancestor on Billion-Graves a message on the screen tells me, "We found records about ________." Those records are always on other websites that charge more money for access.

I think the real purpose of Billion-Graves is to steer your business to those other web-sites.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Just like Find A Grave we have a free side of our website. No one is forced to use BG+ for research purposes. BG+ allows users the opportunity to see who is buried around a loved one, priority support, more maps and global family research.

As a genealogist, I have used both sites for many years. Find-A-Grave has been around for much longer, but is not always as accurate as people would like to think. With BillionGraves, because of their use of GPS technology there is no second guessing as to whether or not the headstone is really in a cemetery. I have found quite a few family records on Find A Grave and traveled to the cemetery only to find that a particular record is not in the cemetery to begin with. There really is not any question when you can see the GPS pin in a particular location.

Unlike our competitor, who is run by a large corporation, we are an independent company, who relies on advertisements to keep the "lights on" and keep innovation going on our website. We do have advertisements on our free side, which is an industry standard with many independent websites. On BG+ we only allow one advertiser, My Heritage, to post advertisements for further research. However, our users are always welcome to use FamilySearch, another partner of ours, to do free research.
susanz61
9/1/18

I subscribed to Billion Graves last year at this time. A week later, I cancelled because I wasn't impressed. They told me at the time they would not refund my money - which was fine. I just wanted out of it.
They recently renewed my membership without my permission and after I had cancelled last year.
I cannot find any contact information for them anywhere. They have my credit card number and using it without permission.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
You can contact customer service on BillionGraves here: https://support.billiongraves.com to find out what the circumstances might be. Most likely the subscription wasn't cancelled as this customer claims. We do not charge customers nor keep credit card information on site. Once an account is cancelled it is cancelled.
ajs40
8/27/18

I am a genealogist who has been doing research for over 25 years. I have used this site and others for my research. I prefer this site over others out there, because you know for certain that a headstone is where records state that it should be.This is due to the GPS technology that drives this site. You don't get that kind of guarantee on other sites, who I have found are often mistaken.

I have traveled around the United States using their app to document family graves. Our family just recently traveled from Utah to Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee using multiple devices to capture images and it all went off without any problems and worked beautifully. I would recommend this site to anyone and everyone to capture family headstone data.

kenb282
8/25/18

First they hit me for $27.99 for a crippled site that is near worthless. Then they tell me that I will automatically be renewed every year AND I cannot stop that by mail. It has to be done through a link they provided that does not work. Calling their support 801-885-4659 I got, and you will get "We re busy and cannot take your call right now" and direct you to the site that is not reachable. They don't even suggest you can call back later, but they just wish you a great day and hang up.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
We let our customers be the ones to decide if they would like a subscription or if they would like to use the site for free. It is their choice. I often tell our customers to use the site for free first. Getting used to the technology and the tools is the key to success! Also, when signing up for the account, it is very clear what their terms and policies regarding the subscription are. There are no refunds for a subscription. However, a subscription can always be cancelled and the customer will still enjoy the benefits of the account until the renewal date. This is just like many other online subscriptions out there.

As a genealogist, I used the site for many years for free. I decided later on to get a subscription, and I would never go back. Why? Because there are many tools such as nearby graves, family plots, and global family that are invaluable tools for the novice or experienced genealogist. Like many other sites out there, we provide online customer support that is also top of the line. at https://support.billiongraves.com/

Phones lines and snail mail are communication tools from the past. As a very modern, forward thinking company, our customer support staff is willing and able to answer customer questions and problems quickly and efficiently by email. Those who have subscriptions are given priority status on our website and are the first in line always. In fact, our support staff are usually live M-F 8-12 MST for our subscribers. When questions are asked outside of that time frame, our staff will usually answer within a 24 hour window.
den6
7/26/18

Just got PayPal response and they agreed with my complaint and are refunding the money from BG's account. I believe that contesting this on a CC account would also work.

Dear Bob ,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $44.99 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Seller's Name: BillionGraves Holdings Inc.
Seller's Email: support@billiongraves.com

Transaction Amount: -$44.99 USD

Response from Brian M., BillionGraves Representative
We're sorry that you felt deceived. There is a "Terms of Purchase" link right next to the check out button (similar to many websites) that displays and explains the No Refund policy very clearly without ever having to leave the purchase page.
tommyh46
3/5/18

These negative reviews have to be paid trolls. BillionGraves is by far the best tool out there for locating an ancestors headstone. Also, their subscription which I paid pennies for considering the hundreds of dollars other big companies request has been so helpful! I love the Family Notifications. As for their subscription model it's pretty much the same as Microsoft Office. You simply cancel the auto renewal after you pay and you have no worries. I love this site.

micheller210
1/25/18

I use this site regularly when researching various family members. There are a number of ways that BillionGraves can point out other research opportunities - my favorites are:
--Names of people burried near by.
--Names of people with similar names (surnames both maiden and married) burried in the same cemetary.
--Known family members (this can be updated by users to help those researching in the future)

In addition - it is easy to help others by transcribing pictures taken by others. The tools make this easy - so you can do a few, or a few hundred depending on your time and desire.

shanaeh1
1/25/18

I have used Billion Graves in both the US and Australia. I've been able to submit over 10,000 gravestone pictures and transcribed several thousands more. I've used the app and the online version. I've had a seamless experience and have loved helping others connect with their ancestors. Thank you Billion Graves for providing this venue!

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Thank you for your hard work! It will be enjoyed by many for years to come!
crystall79
1/25/18

Billion Graves is an amazing database of user-input grave information. Sometimes, grave information is not available but it is because no user has photographed that grave. Since images record GPS locations, it is easy to see surrounding Graves, which is helpful. Also, with the app, contributing images is super easy! Good job, Billion Graves!

melyssaw
1/24/18

My family and I have had such wonderful experiences in using the BillionGraves app to photograph headstones. In a recent trip to Massachusetts I ran into a couple wandering around the cemetery I was continuing to photograph. They appeared lost. After a brief conversation explaining what I was doing, I was able to show the couple where the grave they were looking for was located just by using the app. The app lead us to the exact location. The couple were so happy as they had been searching for quite awhile.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Yes!!! This is what makes us unique compared to other sites out there. When a cemetery is completely photographed using the GPS technology, it blesses everyone. I was in California looking for my great-grandmother’s grave and found it in a cemetery with thousands of headstones in a matter of minutes. Why? Because a wonderful volunteer, such as yourself, took photos and transcribed the entire cemetery. It made finding the headstone a seamless process!
thomasc214
1/23/18

I was surprised to see so many negative comments. My experience was phenomenal. I needed a photo of my Dad's headstone who is buried almost 1,500 miles from my home. I put in a request, and within two days a volunteer had taken the picture. Wow! I don't know if that's normal or not. I found an uncle in Oregon who had a son I did not even know about. Knowing that most people are buried in family plots, I have found the GPS that identifies where the family plots are exceptionally helpful. Their data base continues to grow by thousands of records each day. I love it. With the monthly cost being less than an average cup of coffee makes it sure seem like a great value to me.

sandih7
9/11/17

It wasn't until I was checking my bank statement that I discovered I even had a subscription at Billion Graves. My card had been charged with my knowledge with no warning, no reminder, no email, nothing. My email to their "Priority" support only got me a copy-and-paste reply that had absolutely nothing to do with my questions. My second email didn't get a response at all.

Do NOT sign up here folks! You'll get no support and no refund when you're charged without your knowledge.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
We are sorry your experience wasn’t stellar! Before signing up for an account our users agree to the terms of purchase. Our no refund policy is clearly written in that agreement. There are no surprises, as we believe in being above board and honest with our customers. Also, To show our customers good faith, we provide our users with a reminder email before their subscription is about to renew. This places our users in the drivers seat to decide whether or not they would like to continue their subscription for another year. As far as customer service is concerned, we provide our BG+ users with first class service. We have experienced genealogists and site users who provide help every step of the way in order to get our clients the most out of their subscriptions.
jeffs253
8/31/17

I typed in William Campbell USA Missouri and got 1 marker! Where as find a grave had 100,s. They suck so bad. I feel sick I logged in on facebook but at least I didn't send them credit card info.STAY AWAY!!!! 1st ar is way too much it is a solid -5.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Not finding results simply means that these cemeteries haven’t had photographs taken yet. We are a very different company from Find A Grave. As a genealogist, I have used both sites. Comparing the two is like comparing your grandmothers nice reliable old Buick to a Tesla. Your grandmothers car will get you from point A to point B, but can it find an address and location using GPS technology? BillionGraves offers first class tools for BG+ subscribers including seeing who is buried next to your family member in a cemetery, ( in genealogy this is golden), family finder emails, and top notch customer service. Plus with BillionGraves we trust our clientele to transcribe and add to records. Unlike Find A Grave, you NEVER have to go through a third party and wonder when and if a mistake will be edited. This job we entrust to our wonderful users! However, just like Find A Grave, we also offer a free membership to our website; in fact we love clients who work with our tools for a few months before deciding to go with BG+, as it helps them understand more fully the technology that drives our site.
joans106
7/27/17

Do not like it, when an historical record comes up for Billion Graves.com, and I again see that the wrong address is attached to a particular cemetery. Please look at the address on Assumption Cemetery in O'Fallon, Missouri. The cemetery has always been in O'Fallon, but you have the address as Wentzville, Mo. No-No-No!!!

Response from Brian M., BillionGraves Representative
That's an easy fix! The gps location was correct, just the address label was wrong. https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Assumption-Cemetery/65717
jba5
7/25/17

Really don't need to say much more than these folks. Couldn't even find my parents or grandparents who are buried in a cemetery that has probably a thousand or more stones. Billion had 5 stones in this cemetery and this was only cemetery even listed out of 10 or more in that county.

Response from Brian M., BillionGraves Representative
Literally thousands of new images are added every day! Keep checking back or better yet, go out and take some pictures. :) If you don't live close by you can always make a request for one of our other volunteers to take some pictures for you.
cynthiam108
4/14/17

The business practices of BillionGraves are really bad. I tried to sign up for BG+ several times but it wouldn't work. By the time they finally got it to work, I was turned off and immediately asked for a refund. I received a generic email stating there are NO REFUNDS, NO EXCEPTIONS! They tell you it's possible to cancel your subscription but you don't get a refund. Huh? Why would anyone do that?

I'm really kicking myself for subscribing. I thought there might be more information available than FindAGrave.com (which is free!) but when I did a family name search, it didn't even find one. Your ability to earn "credits" is a joke considering how much you would have to do for them to earn a month's worth of subscription.

I already see that it will be important to CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION before this one runs out or they will automatically resubscribe me. As far as I can tell, there isn't an option not to renew your next year's subscription without simply canceling your current subscription. This is the worst business practice I've seen.

Stick with FindAGrave and save your money.

nickt60
3/20/17

DO NOT give them your credit card, it is impossible to cancel. As close as anything to a scam with useless information that is provided by other members and completely unreliable.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Cancelling your subscription is seamless and very easy! There is a rather large button on the research page that says “manage subscription” you click on that button and then a box opens up on the screen and you click “cancel subscription”. We believe in being transparent with our customers!
annb127
3/11/17

I signed up for BG+ and I find next to nothing on my family. After one week if struggling to use the site and finding almost nothing I asked about a refund. I was told too bad so sad, no refunds. I think this is horrible policy, every genealogy site I have sign-up for and have been unhappy gave me a refund without question. Just goes to show a legit site from non. Don't waste your time and money.

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
Our no refund policy is clearly displayed when you subscribe to BG+. We are no different than a lot of other web based subscriptions in this respect. We always encourage our users to try it for free, use the technology to get familiar with it and then pay for BG+ when you are ready for the use of better tools. I used the free side of BillionGraves for almost 6 years before deciding to make a commitment. However, after using the amazing tools I would never go back, and wonder why I waited so long!
ginay4
2/10/17

I bought Billion Graves Plus Feb 2016 to document the Cemetary where my deceased grandson is buried. To my surprise it renewed, without my consent Feb 2017. I found out when the $59.99 charge appeared on my bank statement. I immediately sent an email requesting cancellation and refund. The email response I received was generic automated response that indicated no refunds. I emailed again and no response. The phone # is not working! I feel like they stole my money!

Response from Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative
We don’t believe in surprises as a company! All of our policies are clearly spelled out before a customer agrees to the purchase of a BG+ account. Also, we always send out a reminder before a subscription renews to put the user firmly “ in the drivers seat”. This allows our customers the opportunity to either continue with the account or cancel it. At BillionGraves, we believe the choice is always with the customer!
zsolta
8/9/16

I was trying to use the site, but spending a lot of time on support pages, reading materials, I gave up.
Confusion on how to upload photos (they advertise the app on Applestore, but figured out that app in PlayStore is also available.
Tried to upload several - already taken - pictures which then showed as "You uploaded 0 photos" - though I can see the pictures under My Ppictures.
No way to correct name of a cemetery - resulting lots of overlap as small and capital letters are differ in indexing.
No support for local language characters (in many cases ? appears)
And they do ask money even from volunteers who are willing to transcribe and upload photos which they can sell...

So I decided to request to revoke my account - but guess, there is no such topic in the support options like account maintenance...

carolh98
7/21/16

Even one star is too much for this site. I signed up for a 30 day free trial , and soon after that I gave notice of canceling. There is no refund folks. Once they got your card number, they keep it. I still get the site for one year, but won't use it, but if they go ahead and re-apply my card at that time, I will be calling my attorney general.

jans107
6/30/16

I joined BillionGraves early on 6/17/16 and gave my credit card #, after checking what was available, it was not what I was looking for, so early afternoon on 6/17/16, I went to my account, per instructions and cancelled my subscription. It was and still is noted on my account that it was cancelled, but my card was charged and I have not yet received a refund. When should I expect that refund, it has been 14 days ??????????? Certainly did not expect this.

mr458
1/9/16

Not user friendly! Can't even look at anything you have looked up. You get a pop up wanting your email address and when you give it, no email arrives to proceed further. No way to contact someone about the issue. Frustrating, not user friendly at all.

BillionGraves is also FREE!!! We do offer BG+ which includes more tools and better customer service. I encourage users to use the site for free before going with BG+ as it helps to understand the technology that drives the site first. As far as refunds go, we do have a no refund policy. Most of those who have been with the site long enough are fully aware of this, and it is listed very clearly on our website helpdesk. BillionGraves is a newer company, with records in our collection growing every day! What sets us apart is the fact that you can see the GPS location of headstones in a cemetery. With Find A Grave, you really aren't sure the record is in that particular cemetery. In fact, I have flown 5 states away looking for a specific stone, and it wasn't in the cemetery listed on Find A Grave, which was very disappointing to say the least. As a genealogist with over 25 years of experience, I can tell you that Find A Grave does NOT have every record either. Not even close! They have been around much longer, but the technology and photos on their site is not the same. It is like comparing oranges to apples or an old Buick to a Tesla. I have used both sites extensively and prefer BillionGraves hands down!

By Anna Y.

Thanks for contacting BillionGraves. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The purpose of BillionGraves is to honor those who have passed away by documenting their headstone and its placement. BillionGraves is a worldwide volunteer project. Many cemeteries around the world are being destroyed, which means that the final resting place of precious family members is gone forever. Our goal is to provide a history to honor the lives of those who have passed away and to aid families and genealogists in their search for their ancestors. We understand that this can be a tender issue for some family members. As a result, if a family member will provide the following information we will be happy to restrict or remove access to their deceased family member's headstone information. Relationship to the deceased URL to the record on BillionGraves* Type of restriction you would like to place on the headstone** *Due to the large number of records on BillionGraves we require the exact URL to the record(s) in question before we can process your request. **Restriction type must be identified for each record(s) in order to process your request. The type of restrictions that we can apply to any headstone record are: Public - headstone is viewable by anyone. Private - headstone can only be seen by registered BillionGraves users. Restricted - headstone can only be seen by family members. Deleted - headstone is removed from access by anyone. Please keep in mind that we do not have control over how quickly search engines, like Google, will take to remove your record from their indexes. It may take 30-60 days, sometimes longer, before our updates, based on your request, are reflected on search engine results. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed by providing the answers to the 3 questions above, and we are happy to take the steps to ensure your concerns are addressed in a timely manner. We look forward to hearing from you.

By Hudson G., BillionGraves Representative

I like the upgrade in that I can see surrounding headstones in a cemetery. I also like the fact that there are no ads.

By Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative

I always encourage people to use the free side of the website first. Get familiar with the tools and the technology, and then subscribe in order to see the value you get from a subscription. I used the site for free for many years, before becoming a subscriber. I would never go back to a free account, due to the value I get as a user. As far as cancelling your subscription, this is something you need to do in your own account. Go to Research. Click on the box that says: Manage Subscription. Click on Cancel Subscription. For further inquiry email me at support@billiongraves.com.

By Anna Y., BillionGraves Representative

This is something you need to do in your own account. Go to Research. Click on the box that says: Manage Subscription. Click on Cancel Subscription. For further inquiry email me at support@billiongraves.com.

I was charged 39.95 for a year

By Carol H.

Questions? Get answers from the BillionGraves staff and other customers.

1 Photo for BillionGraves