FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch.org has a consumer rating of 3.6 stars from 35 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. FamilySearch.org ranks 3rd among Genealogy sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 61.5%

No positive highlights yet

• Why bother to do a family tree when a stranger can change it all!
How would you rate FamilySearch.org?

“Free genealogy site-records added daily”

W M.
5/18/20

FamilySearch.org is a great site. Always include as much information as it prevents mistakes from creeping in. The solutions gallery can make this interesting for the younger family members with games, ideas, and chart options.

“BEWARE”

maggie b.
9/26/20

This site monitors your emails, photos posted and documents. EXPECT NO PRIVACY! They will delete! Sources provided contain errors. Their interpretation of the original document has errors. Their original document attached does not belong to the ancestor you are researching( someone unknown). This is a TERRIBLE PLACE to enter your loved ones names! REMEMBER FREE COMES WITH A COST! I AGREE TOTALLY WITH THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!

family tree (6)
maggieb122
September 26th, 2020

kristab105
November 6th, 2020

This is a nice website to preserve memories. It's nice the way it helps to connect you to people in your tree without having to redo all the work if someone else has already done it. Once I got in a few connecting individuals, someone had done the work for me out five or six generations on several of my lines. My biggest complaint? How can I preserve family memories if I'm told what pictures I can and can't post? While I understand the need for rules, I thought it would be neat to include some of the announcements from big moments in our lives... engagement pictures, baby announcements, etc. However, knowing my pictures were 1000% innocent, I neglected to read the guidelines before posting the memories I wanted to preserve. A very harmless engagement picture of me and my husband "kissing" (we barely touched lips to pose for the photo) and a picture of my newborn baby (who had no clothes on, but neither her bum nor girl parts were showing, only her back) were deemed inappropriate. Mind-boggling! I am an extremely modest person. You see worse in PG movies... Disney cartoons, even! What if it was a beloved 100 year old black and white gem of my great-grandparents kissing? Nope! Not allowed! I have a hard time trusting sites like this with beloved treasures... what if it were the only place I had certain memories stored, only to find they were restricted/removed/etc.? See provocative pictures below.

catherinel350
April 15th, 2020

FamilySearch is a fraud and should never be able to practice their crap. I only put in my name and my dads and wallah, my whole family tree was filled in right back to Adam and Eve within a day... bull$#*!! I have asked for my account to be deleted and still there and no response from them other than ask for my email to confirm deletion which I gave them, but they already had on the form I filled out for deletion. Steer clear of this site as it is total bull$#*!! I only gave it one star because I had no choice not to give any.

kirkh48
July 27th, 2018

I have three branches on my tree that all end up back with Jesus and Mary Magdalene in my ancestry. Does the LDS church support this theory or do they have evidence.

jeanb588
December 10th, 2020

Worst genealogy site out there. Anyone can add, change, and delete your family tree information. Even if you delete your account all your family tree information stays just your access to your account is deleted. Because there are so many people doing whatever they want on that site the information is incorrect.

virginiap270
November 12th, 2020

This may sound overly dramatic, but genealogy is my main hobby. I have spent (wasted) hundreds of hours entering things in FamilySearch. Did you know that when you attach documents or photographs, they become the property of FamilySearch? My mother's high school graduation photo now belongs to FamilySearch. They monitor your activities and LDS "volunteers" track you and "format" what you do, which means removing accurate information, including documents, because they have already "sealed" a person and they don't want any contradictory information showing up. Many of their "volunteers" (I'm referring to people working at the direction of FamilySearch, not everyday users) do not know the difference between towns and states, and interchange them. They also merge people because they have the same FIRST name. They do not know common nicknames. (I could go on and on.) Many of the LDS users are very rude and send you messages that a part of the "shared family tree" belongs to them and you cannot enter things--even when you have provable verification. This harassment is not only allowed, but reinforced by FamilySearch. They are constantly changing the "shared family tree" in accordance with "projects" they have going on, for example: I have 0% Native American DNA in my DNA tests, but in the last few months I have been given over 50 Native American ancestors in the 17th and 18th centuries. Many of my ancestors who came from Europe, with their names on ship passenger lists, and a continuous line of documentation after arriving in America, have "disappeared." There are several LDS members who send me harassing emails on a regular basis, even thought I have not worked on their part of the "shared tree" for over a year. FamilySearch has no sense of accuracy or reality, they are using you to do their work for them, then changing it to be they way they want it to fir their view of reality. Overnight, huge chunks of your family tree may disappear, but nothing shows up in the change log--they are just gone. If you call the help desk, the first question you are asked is about your religion. By the way, some of the glowing reviews here are written by FamilySearch staff--I recognize their grammatical errors and vocabulary. By all means use their collection of sources, but don't spend time actually constructing your family tree. Also be aware that many of the record "transcriptions" have no corresponding original record--they have been created to match information that has already been attached to someone. Don't invest any time building anything on this site, and double-check all records that you find!

debs443
December 5th, 2020

I have been in this site for years they allow you free searches unless ancestry. All of a sudden I'm getting things like your great grandmother was born etc now I go and look at my tree and there Are people added to MY tree and they are not my family. So I write them and as it turns out they let other people add to your tree and they think it's fine. It's not fine especially if it's the wrong information. I think I know my own family and when I tried to delete or change the wrong info it wouldn't let me! I will never deal with them again. It should be up to me if I want to allow that or not. It really got me upset with them. So be careful should this happen to you.

marissal61
November 14th, 2020

I put in the info I have available about jy grandparents but it says that there's no info about them

elgiem
February 2nd, 2019

I entered all the information on my great Aunt and included a copy of her obituary! They allowed someone else to come along and change every thing! I had all their children entered their children. It is all gone! I spent a long time entering this information just to have someone else come along and delete it. I am done with the site! Why bother to do a family tree when a stranger can change it all!

wm112
May 18th, 2020

Tip for consumers:
Write down the code numbers for people that a deceased in order to share the information you have put in. You cannot “see” living people.

Products used:
I used free webinars and charts to print for free.

jonathanm515
May 25th, 2020

Since joining in last August 2019 I've really enjoyed using Familysearch.org and found out so much about my family that they'd have never known. It even let's you print out different sections of your family tree in 3 modes. There's Landscape which prints out information on 4 family generations, Portrait which prints out photographs you've uploaded of 5 family generations and Fan Chart which prints out the names of up to 7 family generations.

mirandag25
May 29th, 2019

I'd like to know if others have the same line as mine... 25 kings all the way back to Ireland year 20?

After entering my information, my mothers, and grands with photos, military information (my grandfather was a recon operator and POW in WWII)... the next day, every thing was gone. All of it, *poof*
Luckily, I took screen shots because I didn't trust the royalty lineage BS. I uploaded a very small selection of the photos I took, for others to compare. I'd be interested if anyone else has the exact same lineage

I really think after interacting with the "help" center (they wanted my phone #), that this is a recruitment tool for LDS.

SCAM!

lynno25
July 29th, 2018

People can go through and wipe out your family and all your work. That's my biggest complaint. If someone doesn't agree, they can delete your whole family. Like they never existed. There needs to be some sort of control of this.

dawnt93
October 5th, 2018

I agree with another reviewer, random people can change your ancestors without any real sources. You have to "watch" most ancestors and get a notice when someone has changed some info.
Recently I am unable to see anything about anybody. The pages are all blank. No page for each person.
Strange as it took me awhile to build tree.

barbarab314
March 20th, 2018

I used family search for a long time, even participated in their indexing because I was such a fan of the service. But it has a huge disadvantage, which is that anyone can change information you enter. I then began constructing a tree on ancestry.com, which is a much better system, because you can compare different peoples' family trees and decide which ones are better documented before incorporating them. I returned to my free on the family search website recently to find that hours and hours of my work had been undone by people adding sources and "merging" people who were not the same people. DO NOT RELY ON FAMILY SEARCH FOR ACCURATE FAMILY TREES. It is too easy for people to add information they haven't actually verified.

pj176
Pet J.
April 9th, 2018

I recently joined this website and it has been extremely helpful in my quest to trace my husband's family. It has a HUGE collection of Danish birth, marriage and death records. On the other hand, records from the Caribbean are severely lacking (which I actually do not think is the fault of the site but rather, a matter of accessibility).

One thing I would say though, always make sure to double check your records. Don't take anyone else's information at face value. Some people misspell names and get certain dates wrong. Always keep that in mind.

susanl217
February 19th, 2018

I was able to find quite a bit of info on my family and my boyfriends family. However, the info it provides is not always accurate. I searched myself and found a lot of wrong dates and yes It was me because everything else was correct (ie: place of birth, places I lived, parents names... etc). It can be a helpful tool if you are careful to research farther. I do like that I was able to find old u.s. census documents (originals) for my family from 1920-1940. Some other sites make you pay to see those. It is better than the pay sites, but just be careful to make sure some info is actually correct.

patg27
March 17th, 2016

I used to absolutely love Family Search. I could find a birth/baptism record which would show the person's parents and a marriage record which would show the father of the bride/groom. I don't know what they've done with it but all you seem to get now is a basic record of a persons birth/baptism/marriage. No different to freebmd.

Also, as with Ancestry, even whey you ask for an exact record, you still get a mixture of records.

If you do it there way and tick for a birth or marriage - you get "No records".

It used to be a really interesting and informative site. What a shame.

Whatever you've done, please revert to the old system.

matthewb824
August 27th, 2020

This is an awesome site for finding your family history. It is associated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints just like Ansestory but it's free. Just don't let them know that I told you so, we still need to kep this a secret between me and all of the internet.

sandrad29
January 12th, 2015

Ive been using familysearch.org for years. However, since early last year, information off that site has gone missing. IN fact, census reports can't even be found there now for parts of my family (from both sides). I learned yesterday, that, both my parents side of BLOOD. No longer exist. Without them. WE don't exist. I did ancestry.com last year for 6 months. I watched on there as people rearranged names, locations, dates on census reports. I looked today, familysearch.org has my fathers relative married to his daughter because they aren't careful about what they are putting out to the public. THEN I go on find a grave, and find some relatives listed with some other spouse. Im still trying to figure out how that happened. When there were NO other marriages. What Ive had interest in for almost 30 years. Modern generation of researchers have smashed in just 1 year. Im going back to knitting. Least on those projects. Ya aren't getting in my opinion led in the wrong direction

yvoneer
March 31st, 2015

I used to be able to find something fairly useful on familysearch.org, but not any more. Their search engines are hopeless, ignoring any refinements you make. You have to trawl through results which shouldn't be there based on what you entered. No longer will you find the name of a spouse - instead there's a list of a number of people (presumably witnesses included) any of which could be the spouse. If you search for a marriage, the name you entered comes up as the father of the bride or groom, not the person who was marrying. Hopeless website.

barbarah109
July 7th, 2016

Got all excited when my tree went on and on, all by itself and led to Knights, Ladies, Princes, and even a King. Should have known these are not my ancestors. When I went back to look, it had disappeared and I realized it was all a fraud. How can FS allow this to happen? I have my tree on here and now am thinking I should just quit the whole thing.

deborahc840
August 17th, 2020

I've been a member of this site for awhile and enjoy transcribing records. Since covid has us shelter-in-place, transcribing records is a unique way to serve those doing genealogy. I have a family tree and add to it as I can. I have never purchased anything through FamilySearch dot org, and my experiences are with their free to use and free to create family history trees.

lindab141
July 26th, 2015

I wanted to see how accurate and reliable this sight is and so I looked up my own name and found the wrong addresses and phone number. I then looked up my mother's name and found wrong birthdate, wrong addresses, and that she is also known as my sister's name! What?!? Very unreliable information.

susanb2515
October 15th, 2020

Very helpful site for keeping up with your family genealogy. Provides helper statements. Always someone to reach out to with questions. Once you understand how it works it is very thorough.

FamilySearch is one, big "shared family tree." You do not have a private family tree like you do on Ancestry. People change information all the time, especially LDS Church "volunteers." If they want something to be a certain way, they will keep changing it and changing it, and in addition they may send you threatening messages telling you that you cannot place any information on that part of the "shared tree"--it is only "shared" for them, not you. They have even done this to my grandmother, with whom I lived. Overnight all your cousins from a certain part of your family may disappear because someone has combined your grandfather and great grandfather into one person because they both had first names starting with the letter T (for example), never mind that their birth dates were 40 years apart. I could literally give you 1,0000 personal examples...

By VIrginia P.