FamilySearch.org reviews

Tel: +1-801-240-1187

mirandag25
5/29/19

I'd like to know if others have the same line as mine... 25 kings all the way back to Ireland year 20?

After entering my information, my mothers, and grands with photos, military information (my grandfather was a recon operator and POW in WWII)... the next day, every thing was gone. All of it, *poof*
Luckily, I took screen shots because I didn't trust the royalty lineage BS. I uploaded a very small selection of the photos I took, for others to compare. I'd be interested if anyone else has the exact same lineage

I really think after interacting with the "help" center (they wanted my phone #), that this is a recruitment tool for LDS.

SCAM!!

elgiem
2/2/19

I entered all the information on my great Aunt and included a copy of her obituary! They allowed someone else to come along and change every thing!!! I had all their children entered their children. It is all gone!!!! I spent a long time entering this information just to have someone else come along and delete it. I am done with the site!! Why bother to do a family tree when a stranger can change it all!!!!!

billm483
1/10/19

The very best genealogy site, hands down. FamilySearch is the one that the others cite as a source. If you're serious about genealogy this is a must. Best of all - IT'S FREE.

dawnt93
10/5/18

I agree with another reviewer, random people can change your ancestors without any real sources. You have to "watch" most ancestors and get a notice when someone has changed some info.
Recently I am unable to see anything about anybody. The pages are all blank. No page for each person.
Strange as it took me awhile to build tree.

kristinap50
9/13/18

I have a lot of genealogy records researched by my grandmother and mother. Thousands of names and families -- all entered into FamilySearch over time. I find FS to be very user-friendly, though not perfect. Perfect doesn't exist. It's definitely the best free service in my opinion, particularly for free access to indexed records of births, marriages, deaths, etc. Users need to know that others have access to the site, just as you do, and may make changes. I suggest the following: 1. Keep personal copies of everything you have on your ancestors as you may need to go back and correct things down the road. 2. Document the source of your information when you add to an ancestors record on FS. Others are less likely to make changes to well-documented data. 3. Make sure the data you enter is as accurate as it can be. Don't guess or make assumptions -- you might be wrong and mislead others. 4. Use the communication tools to interact with others on site when there are issues. I have used these tips to help me as I have entered, edited, and corrected data on my ancestors. It's a great place for me!

lynno25
7/29/18

People can go through and wipe out your family and all your work. That's my biggest complaint. If someone doesn't agree, they can delete your whole family. Like they never existed. There needs to be some sort of control of this.

kirkh48
7/27/18

I have three branches on my tree that all end up back with Jesus and Mary Magdalene in my ancestry. Does the LDS church support this theory or do they have evidence.

pj176
4/9/18

I recently joined this website and it has been extremely helpful in my quest to trace my husband's family. It has a HUGE collection of Danish birth, marriage and death records. On the other hand, records from the Caribbean are severely lacking (which I actually do not think is the fault of the site but rather, a matter of accessibility).

One thing I would say though, always make sure to double check your records. Don't take anyone else's information at face value. Some people misspell names and get certain dates wrong. Always keep that in mind.

barbarab314
3/20/18

I used family search for a long time, even participated in their indexing because I was such a fan of the service. But it has a huge disadvantage, which is that anyone can change information you enter. I then began constructing a tree on ancestry.com, which is a much better system, because you can compare different peoples' family trees and decide which ones are better documented before incorporating them. I returned to my free on the family search website recently to find that hours and hours of my work had been undone by people adding sources and "merging" people who were not the same people. DO NOT RELY ON FAMILY SEARCH FOR ACCURATE FAMILY TREES. It is too easy for people to add information they haven't actually verified.

susanl217
2/19/18

I was able to find quite a bit of info on my family and my boyfriends family. However, the info it provides is not always accurate. I searched myself and found a lot of wrong dates and yes It was me because everything else was correct (ie: place of birth, places I lived, parents names...etc). It can be a helpful tool if you are careful to research farther. I do like that I was able to find old u.s. census documents (originals) for my family from 1920-1940. Some other sites make you pay to see those. It is better than the pay sites, but just be careful to make sure some info is actually correct.

barbarah109
7/7/16

Got all excited when my tree went on and on, all by itself and led to Knights, Ladies, Princes, and even a King. Should have known these are not my ancestors. When I went back to look, it had disappeared and I realized it was all a fraud. How can FS allow this to happen? I have my tree on here and now am thinking I should just quit the whole thing.

rennied
7/4/16

Thanks Rennie for participating in the Worldwide Indexing Event! Because of you, more records are searchable, helping people to discover and connect with their ancestors. Over 116,475 people indexed over 10 million records.

Awesome effort. My 150 records made a difference. I've now done about 340.

patg27
3/17/16

I used to absolutely love Family Search. I could find a birth/baptism record which would show the person's parents and a marriage record which would show the father of the bride/groom. I don't know what they've done with it but all you seem to get now is a basic record of a persons birth/baptism/marriage. No different to freebmd.

Also, as with Ancestry, even whey you ask for an exact record, you still get a mixture of records.

If you do it there way and tick for a birth or marriage - you get "No records".

It used to be a really interesting and informative site. What a shame.

Whatever you've done, please revert to the old system.

michaels349
12/7/15

Family Search is the genealogy research window for the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS). This organization has been working extensively on genealogy research and digitizing and indexing such data stores. The site allows search with multiple edits without even requiring an account. If you do create an account this allows you to save records for easy retrieval. There is no fee. Many of the record retrievals link to digitized actual documents. In some cases the result will only give a summary because the actual record is housed at another site which requires an account. This is not often a big issue.

I keep my actual family tree records on MyHeritage but I use Familysearch for the majority of my record research. This is a tool every genealogist should have readily available.

lillyg3
9/14/15

I love Family Search and have found so many things on it. The staff are always incredibly sweet and really try to help. It's amazing that it is a free resource to us all and I will always be graretful that it exists.

lindab141
7/26/15

I wanted to see how accurate and reliable this sight is and so I looked up my own name and found the wrong addresses and phone number. I then looked up my mother's name and found wrong birthdate, wrong addresses, and that she is also known as my sister's name! What?!? Very unreliable information.

yvoneer
3/31/15

I used to be able to find something fairly useful on familysearch.org, but not any more. Their search engines are hopeless, ignoring any refinements you make. You have to trawl through results which shouldn't be there based on what you entered. No longer will you find the name of a spouse - instead there's a list of a number of people (presumably witnesses included) any of which could be the spouse. If you search for a marriage, the name you entered comes up as the father of the bride or groom, not the person who was marrying. Hopeless website.

sandrad29
1/12/15

Ive been using familysearch.org for years. However, since early last year, information off that site has gone missing. IN fact, census reports can't even be found there now for parts of my family (from both sides). I learned yesterday, that, both my parents side of BLOOD ..no longer exist. Without them..WE don't exist. I did ancestry.com last year for 6 months. I watched on there as people rearranged names, locations, dates on census reports. I looked today, familysearch.org has my fathers relative married to his daughter because they aren't careful about what they are putting out to the public. THEN I go on find a grave, and find some relatives listed with some other spouse. Im still trying to figure out how that happened..when there were NO other marriages. What Ive had interest in for almost 30 years..modern generation of researchers have smashed in just 1 year..Im going back to knitting..least on those projects..ya aren't getting in my opinion led in the wrong direction

tinal20
6/12/14

If you order microfilm and do not cancel your order with in 24 hours , family search will still charge your credit card for the order. Even though it has been over a month and still no time Frame as to when order will be processed .

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am not sure WHO has done it but it happens to me all the time.

By Barbara H.

Questions? Get answers from the FamilySearch.org staff and other customers.

5 Photos for FamilySearch.org