Acorn TV

Acorn TV has a consumer rating of 1.96 stars from 171 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Acorn TV also ranks 62nd among TV Shows sites. The most common issues with Acorn TV are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• As other users have noted, customer service is appalling.
  • They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99.
How would you rate Acorn TV?

“Excellent alternatives to rehashed American tv”

Ken A.
8/23/19

I see too many poor reviews of acorn, and don't understand why? They offer great shows at a very reasonable rate, less than half what Hulu or Netflix costs me a month, and I really enjoy the shows I watch, 19-2, 800 Words which is a shame was cancelled after only three seasons, A Place to Call Home. I have had zero issues with this app, none. I love that being an American I get to watch brilliant writing from other countries, at $5.99 a month I don't know how anyone can complain about what they get here. But to each their own, I felt it necessary to write one just because I felt they were getting bad reviews and unjustly, so just my two cents, it's worth at least a chance if you have never seen it, get the free trial, find a few shows you like and sign up for a month, the only other app out there I can say is better is Kanopy but that is because it's free with a library card. And free is always better but acorn is next to free at $5.99.

“Don't do it!”

Dennis B.
11/6/19

We have been subscribers to Acorn for several years and enjoyed the all-English menu. However, when our interest turned elsewhere we found that the Acorn does not provide a mechanism to terminate the subscription and does not respond to request for help. As a result we continue to pay the monthly fee for a service we do not watch with the only alternative for relief being cancellation of the credit card. So, if you are thinking about subscribing to Acorn my advice is to not do it as it is essentially an internet scam.

customer service (42) credit card (14) apple tv (7) 2 months (5) british tv (7) tech support (7) amazon prime (5) samsung smart tv (4) email (40) good luck (4) 10 days (3) murdoch mysteries (3)
mc887
January 26th, 2020
You watch a few shows in a series and then to continue watching the series they charge you $4.99 PER EPISODE!!! What a ripoff. Cancelling my subscription.
joed585
January 19th, 2020
Three months after canceling this service, (they require you to insure they did it after receiving and confirming your email to cancel), they are again charging my bank account for the service I don't have. This is after they confirmed they canceled my account three months ago. Unless they offer you an option like Paypal don't give them your bank account info or you will be sorry. Then again just don't get IT since I cancelled it because except for a handful of exceptions everything is just very old repeats.
danielaa25
January 19th, 2020
Missing episodes (Episode 1 not available at this time, why don't you watch Episode 2 and figure it out on your own). CC constantly messed up, displaying CC from previous episodes. Customer service sends automatic emails every 48 hours asking the customer if their problem was solved without actually checking that it was, therefore using us, the paying customers, as free testing engines.
lynetteh28
January 3rd, 2020
Cancelled a week before the renewal date.. crap content and can't be bothered.
Bought through Google play.
They tried to get me a refund.. apparently despite my cancellation.. which Google play logged.. acorn stole money from me
Now I have to access their help.. acorn doesn't help. They say they open a ticket then next day say rate their help in resolving my issue!!!
Eyeroll.
Do not get this app
rw388
November 18th, 2019
We are a huge fan of British television, going way back to the 70s and Monty Python, the Goonies, Fawlty Towers, the Two Ronnies, etc. So we were excited to see that we could view again some of these shows on Britbox and Acorn TV through Amazon Prime Video. We did the free week with Britbox and then subscribed for two months until we had exhausted all the episodes of all the shows we wanted to watch. Next, we did the free week with Acorn and have now subscribed for a month to watch Vera, Foyle's War, and others not available on Britbox. The two services are night and day. We use new Roku's to stream. We never had one issue with Britbox. We have daily issues with Acorn. Buffering, choking, restarting, and when you finally are able to get through an episode, the app freezes and doesn't return to the menu. Not only that, you have to exit back to the main Roku home menu (top right button) to recover the device. I had read numerous complaints about Acorn and their buggy app. The same thing happens on Firestick which I have a new one installed. I sent an email to Acorn customer service but got no response, not even an email saying they received my email and are working on it. Also, not all of the Foyle's War episodes have closed captioning/subtitles even though they are ALL marked as having such. I am hearing impaired and the thick British accents make it impossible to understand. When these air on PBS or are played from our library's DVDs, they all have subtitles. I feel we are being cheated of the money we are spending. We will not be renewing the subscription. Britbox has it down and does it correctly. Acorn is a fail!
dennisb398
November 6th, 2019
rebeccaj143
August 29th, 2019
I took the trial but cancelled day before final date but monthly fee was deducted from my account anyway. I even received a confirmation email of the cancellation. I emailed the confirmation to them as they requested (shouldn't they have it? They sent it to me). Now they have deducted ANOTHER month. I honestly didn't find that much I wanted to watch.
rutht86
August 11th, 2019
I really wanted to enjoy Acorn's options but after paying for a year's subscription I find that everything I try to watch is interrupted by buffering--sometimes for so long that I give up and move on. I don't understand why I'm able to access Netflix and Amazon Prime without encountering this problem. Wish I'd saved my money and stayed away from Acorn.

My Account

Free Shipping ID
*******015
id29
August 2nd, 2019
Useless ultra slow streaming and quality. No response from the help desk. Don't waste your time with it
calikok
June 25th, 2019
How can I watch Accorn on my Samsaung Smart TV.It doesnt seem to be available :(
so basically i cant watch it on a samsung smart tv
debrah241
June 20th, 2019
I have had Acorn tv since it began streaming and loved it for several years but in the last year it has become worthless. Their programming director should be fired as they add 1 new program a week usually with 1 or maybe 2 episodes only, most are documentaries about WW2 or travel. The few British series they have added this last few years are 20 plus years old and the worst series I have ever seen "all in good faith" was not watchable nor is "straight forward" the newest Swedish series this week. I am cancelling Acorn but keeping BRITBOX as their programming is much superior to Acorn. I would recommend switching to BritBox if you love British TV as I do. Debra D
sharong288
June 11th, 2019
They worked fine at first, but they no longer continue through out the program with out constant spinning. I is such a disappointment and a waste of money. I am afraid I will have to cancel. They are nothing but a fraud.
It would be a wonderful variety of shows if they were actually available. I wish there was a way to contact them, but once you have made your purchase, they are hard to locate.
paular126
May 15th, 2019
The streaming service over all is ok if you don't mind a very limited number of episodes per program. The biggest issue I had was with their customer service. I was billed twice last month for my subscription. After over 40 emails back and forth with Robert A., their customer service professional, and having him tell me I was only billed once even though I submitted images of my bank account which clearly showed 2 charges back to back, then him telling me to check my account for a refund. 10 days later I still have not gotten a refund. Robert A. then told me to go through my financial institution to get the refund. That would have cost me $50.00. Supposedly my issue was "escalated" to a higher authority twice, each time that authority told me I had only been billed once. This back and forth continued for, as I stated above, 40 plus emails over 10 days. The last email they sent was asking for the last 4 digits of my debit card. That was on May 13. I have heard nothing from them since. I have not received a refund for the double billing. I have canceled my subscription with them and told them I would be placing negative reviews wherever I can.
joannae9
April 25th, 2019
I don't know what's worse--a rude person on the other end of a phone or email or no person at all. I've sent numerous email messages; no response. I have no other choice that to stop payment via my bank, unless someone comes up with a better idea.
thecolokids
April 21st, 2019
I've been a loyal fan of Acorn since they launched. I was happy to pay $4.99/mo as this is my TV of choice. They have a great selection of BBC and world shows.

What infuriated me was that I had been paying $4.99 a month when I received an email from Roku stating PayPal had denied my payment and they my service might be interrupted with Acorn TV. I called PayPal and they report Acorn never trying to make a draft for the current month.

I logged on and discovered they had raised their prices $1.00/month to $5.99/month, same as Britbox. What a crappy way to reward loyal customers -- don't inform them there is a pay hike coming but just cancel their service and make them renew at the higher price.

I'm switching to Britbox for sheer principles of nothing more. To bad because I like Acorn better and used to sing their praises to anyone who asked. No more.

I hope Acorn drops from the tree due to poor customer service and deceptive practices with pricing.
kenk209
March 22nd, 2019
Be very weary touching the button that says free trial because you are then locked in for $6 us a month and it almost needs a Philadelphia lawyer to get them to stop charging you that.
I fell into that syndrome and because they do not give a cancellation number the credit card company will not go after them for the funds
lydias58
March 15th, 2019
After 2 months where everything worked fine, the service stopped working. Sent 5 emails. No response. Googled phone number and spoke to a company totally unrelated and he said they had been getting countless calls for Acorn TV and they had absolutely nothing to do with Acorn TV. Had to contact credit card company to cease payments. Customer service: non-existent. Stay away.
sandras508
March 1st, 2019
I signed up for a trial period through Amazon. I cancelled October 20, 2018. They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99. Amazon says they have no record of the charges. My credit card company is now involved. Still no resolution. I would advise anyone who is thinking of signing up. Don't! This is a ripoff.
carolinem125
February 15th, 2019
Acorn tv does not have the option to stream in SD, it uses 3gb per HOUR. No option to change it. If your internet has a cap on usage amount DON'T subscribe. If you have questions about anything, you have to email them and wait for a reply.
michealg15
January 25th, 2019
I purchased mainly to watch new series Agatha Raisin...but even Series One not available. Give it a few months but expire my card if refund is nor available. Mostly old hat shows.
cherylt127
November 29th, 2018
If you sign up, DO NOT pay them annually. Their App no longer works with Samsung and I only received a refund upon noticing I had not received one and contacting them to ask about it. 2 months after cancellation, I have received a refund.
letitiar2
November 20th, 2018
I have been lied to so many times today that I have lost track. This used to be my favorite. Something happened in July. The app ceased to work with Apple. The company lied and said they just learned about it. I was told this TODAY, in NOVEMBER. The app store reviews back me up. They don't answer their emails. NONE OF THE ONLINE NUMBERS WORK. Everything connects to Totes, who are the US company. AGAIN, NONE OF THE PHONE NUMBERS WORK. I finally got a Totes employee who told me to call *******466. You will not find this number connected to this company. Sometimes employees will lie and say it is a wrong number. Sometimes it will just not connect. Keep calling. Eventually it will work. They will say this is a recent problem that they just learned about TODAY. LIE. They will tell you you must cancel thru Apple. LIE. Something has gone very wrong at this company. RUN AWAY.
beverlyk65
November 20th, 2018
I don't understand why this company cannot solve the problems in its app which have garnered Acorn TV uniformly terrible reviews in the online reviewer community. I am constantly calling Customer Service (human being -- 888/370-2597). In contrast, I have NEVER had to call Netflix Customer Service.

It appears that no one at Acorn TV is monitoring online comments. Perhaps they simply don't care that their company is becoming a laughingstock.
peterg328
November 12th, 2018
I have enjoyed programs on Acorn TV--I'm a great fan of British TV. After about a month I have gone through most of the programs that I wanted to see. I assumed that new programs would be forthcoming. NONE HAVE. I have tried to communicate with Acorn for about two weeks: getting the royal run around. I suggest trying Acorn until you have seen what you want and then going to other British sites like BritBox.
jamesj574
October 29th, 2018
I signed up for the free trial demo for the week. 2 days before it was up, I sent written notice. These A**holes still charged me and no matter how often I ask for a refund, they give some f-ing excuse like I need to deal with I-tunes which I don't even have or belong to. Don't sign on to these A**holes. Nothing but a bunch of crooks probably based in Nigeria or other country known for ripping people off.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.
See more answers (4)

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.
See more answers (2)

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

Acorn TV is a subscription streaming service offering the best British TV on-demand, commercial free. Shows include favorites like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Foyle's War, Doc Martin, Jack Irish, Agatha Raisin, The Level, and many more. Fre...

matthewg38
AcornTV T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn TV?

Have a question about Acorn TV?