Review of Acorn TV

support@acorn.tv

95 reviews with 1 star

calikok
6/25/19

How can I watch Accorn on my Samsaung Smart TV.It doesnt seem to be available :(
so basically i cant watch it on a samsung smart tv

debrah241
6/20/19

I have had Acorn tv since it began streaming and loved it for several years but in the last year it has become worthless. Their programming director should be fired as they add 1 new program a week usually with 1 or maybe 2 episodes only, most are documentaries about WW2 or travel. The few British series they have added this last few years are 20 plus years old and the worst series I have ever seen "all in good faith" was not watchable nor is "straight forward" the newest Swedish series this week. I am cancelling Acorn but keeping BRITBOX as their programming is much superior to Acorn. I would recommend switching to BritBox if you love British TV as I do. Debra D

sharong288
6/11/19

They worked fine at first, but they no longer continue through out the program with out constant spinning. I is such a disappointment and a waste of money. I am afraid I will have to cancel. They are nothing but a fraud.
It would be a wonderful variety of shows if they were actually available. I wish there was a way to contact them, but once you have made your purchase, they are hard to locate.

paular126
5/15/19

The streaming service over all is ok if you don't mind a very limited number of episodes per program. The biggest issue I had was with their customer service. I was billed twice last month for my subscription. After over 40 emails back and forth with Robert A., their customer service professional, and having him tell me I was only billed once even though I submitted images of my bank account which clearly showed 2 charges back to back, then him telling me to check my account for a refund. 10 days later I still have not gotten a refund. Robert A. then told me to go through my financial institution to get the refund. That would have cost me $50.00. Supposedly my issue was "escalated" to a higher authority twice, each time that authority told me I had only been billed once. This back and forth continued for, as I stated above, 40 plus emails over 10 days. The last email they sent was asking for the last 4 digits of my debit card. That was on May 13. I have heard nothing from them since. I have not received a refund for the double billing. I have canceled my subscription with them and told them I would be placing negative reviews wherever I can.

joannae9
4/25/19

I don't know what's worse--a rude person on the other end of a phone or email or no person at all. I've sent numerous email messages; no response. I have no other choice that to stop payment via my bank, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

thecolokids
4/21/19

I've been a loyal fan of Acorn since they launched. I was happy to pay $4.99/mo as this is my TV of choice. They have a great selection of BBC and world shows.

What infuriated me was that I had been paying $4.99 a month when I received an email from Roku stating PayPal had denied my payment and they my service might be interrupted with Acorn TV. I called PayPal and they report Acorn never trying to make a draft for the current month.

I logged on and discovered they had raised their prices $1.00/month to $5.99/month, same as Britbox. What a crappy way to reward loyal customers -- don't inform them there is a pay hike coming but just cancel their service and make them renew at the higher price.

I'm switching to Britbox for sheer principles of nothing more. To bad because I like Acorn better and used to sing their praises to anyone who asked. No more.

I hope Acorn drops from the tree due to poor customer service and deceptive practices with pricing.

kenk209
3/22/19

Be very weary touching the button that says free trial because you are then locked in for $6 us a month and it almost needs a Philadelphia lawyer to get them to stop charging you that.
I fell into that syndrome and because they do not give a cancellation number the credit card company will not go after them for the funds

lydias58
3/15/19

After 2 months where everything worked fine, the service stopped working. Sent 5 emails. No response. Googled phone number and spoke to a company totally unrelated and he said they had been getting countless calls for Acorn TV and they had absolutely nothing to do with Acorn TV. Had to contact credit card company to cease payments. Customer service: non-existent. Stay away.

sandras508
3/1/19

I signed up for a trial period through Amazon. I cancelled October 20, 2018. They continue to charge my credit card each month for $4.99. Amazon says they have no record of the charges. My credit card company is now involved. Still no resolution. I would advise anyone who is thinking of signing up. Don't! This is a ripoff.

carolinem125
2/15/19

Acorn tv does not have the option to stream in SD, it uses 3gb per HOUR. No option to change it. If your internet has a cap on usage amount DON'T subscribe. If you have questions about anything, you have to email them and wait for a reply.

michealg15
1/25/19

I purchased mainly to watch new series Agatha Raisin...but even Series One not available. Give it a few months but expire my card if refund is nor available. Mostly old hat shows.

cherylt127
11/29/18

If you sign up, DO NOT pay them annually. Their App no longer works with Samsung and I only received a refund upon noticing I had not received one and contacting them to ask about it. 2 months after cancellation, I have received a refund.

letitiar2
11/20/18

I have been lied to so many times today that I have lost track. This used to be my favorite. Something happened in July. The app ceased to work with Apple. The company lied and said they just learned about it. I was told this TODAY, in NOVEMBER. The app store reviews back me up. They don't answer their emails. NONE OF THE ONLINE NUMBERS WORK. Everything connects to Totes, who are the US company. AGAIN, NONE OF THE PHONE NUMBERS WORK. I finally got a Totes employee who told me to call 844-734-8466. You will not find this number connected to this company. Sometimes employees will lie and say it is a wrong number. Sometimes it will just not connect. Keep calling. Eventually it will work. They will say this is a recent problem that they just learned about TODAY. LIE. They will tell you you must cancel thru Apple. LIE. Something has gone very wrong at this company. RUN AWAY.

beverlyk65
11/20/18

I don't understand why this company cannot solve the problems in its app which have garnered Acorn TV uniformly terrible reviews in the online reviewer community. I am constantly calling Customer Service (human being -- 888/370-2597). In contrast, I have NEVER had to call Netflix Customer Service.

It appears that no one at Acorn TV is monitoring online comments. Perhaps they simply don't care that their company is becoming a laughingstock.

peterg328
11/12/18

I have enjoyed programs on Acorn TV--I'm a great fan of British TV. After about a month I have gone through most of the programs that I wanted to see. I assumed that new programs would be forthcoming. NONE HAVE. I have tried to communicate with Acorn for about two weeks: getting the royal run around. I suggest trying Acorn until you have seen what you want and then going to other British sites like BritBox.

jamesj574
10/29/18

I signed up for the free trial demo for the week. 2 days before it was up, I sent written notice. These A**holes still charged me and no matter how often I ask for a refund, they give some f-ing excuse like I need to deal with I-tunes which I don't even have or belong to. Don't sign on to these A**holes. Nothing but a bunch of crooks probably based in Nigeria or other country known for ripping people off.

waynec158
10/8/18

Acorn TV was my go-to for watching British TV. Watch for years using a Amazon Firestick. Now it just crashes out of the app. Speed test shows more than adequate bandwidth. Firestick attached via Cat5e to switch. The ability to use Apple devices to Chromecast is gone as the Chromecast icon in the app is no longer present. Trouble tickets appeared to be automated with no one doing anything. Something bad is going on with Acorn TV.

terif16
9/30/18

The programming is great - if I could watch an entire episode without it freezing in the frame and restarting. Continual issue. And you have to find the program each tome and find where you left off. Ridiculous waste of time. And good luck getting any customer service whatsoever. Canceling my subscription, which is a shame because I like the shows... well, I did until it got to where I can only watch about ten minutes max at a time before it resets itself- and then back to finding the episode I was watching. Don't bother. Horrible service

samc244
8/22/18

once you do the trial, they make it nearly impossible to remove it.
and the billing seems very stealthy so you don't really see it easily.
the content isn't even that good.
Don't fall for the free preview

samb320
8/13/18

Could only watch about 5 minutes of new show Murder Investigation Team because filming technique of ?handheld? camera to jerky giving me nausea and a headache.

mariev35
5/23/18

I am also having problems with acorn TV... I have sent in email requests with no reply.

1-888-870-8047 Acorn TV Customer Service

carolg240
5/21/18

Can not watch a show for more than a minute before it stops and loads again, and again and again and again and again and again. Do you get the picture! We have tried to contact consumer service but they are non-existent. We will be cancelling.

reginac35
5/16/18
• Updated review

It is now 41 days after the review and many calls and written requests for help. I have received general feedback asking if I am happy with the fix. What fix? No fix. I wanted to write a positive update but am unable to do so simply because these guys are beyond incompetent. An issue exist in their software which they are unwilling to acknowledge. I have changed email, passwords, servers, IP's, OS, devices and location. Somehow, somewhere deep in the underbelly of this beast is a software glitch that they will not acknowledge.

So, find an alternative would be my best suggestion. If what you have works, then great, keep it. The first sign of problems, resolve it or run for the hills.

“Customer service is in the original black hole and shall never appear in person!”
4/5/18
• Previous review

Three months of the same code error preventing us from playing any programmes on any device any where on the planet. That includes at home.

So many request for help TOTALLY ignored. We were one of the very first to sign up when AcornTV started and never had cause to contact them. After years of loyal subscription this is the outcome. The shows are good but God forbid you need help. They are totally incompetent and unwilling to reveal a human element in the discussion. I would strongly advise you avoid these folks until they get their act together. Before this three month long fiasco I would have highly recommend them. Now...never!

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere perhaps at Britbox or get an Android Player that gives access.

paulam171
5/15/18

I paid for a year's subscription and spent 90% of my time trying to find any CSR from this company that could help. They don't have the server power to deliver the shows they advertise and when u can't watch them and contact them they tell you it's your pc and make u do all kinds of crap that doesn't help. I would NOT recommend this company. I am now totally unable to even log in to my acct. and I've only had it for 2 months.

grahamw51
5/6/18

I have subscribed to Acorn TV for over four years with just a few minor issues. I recently decided to cancel the service due to lack of new content. Many shows can be viewed elsewhere. I have now asked an unbelievable FIVE times to cancel my account and send me email confirmation. I have yet to receive anything but their standard "ticket" form which amounts to nothing. Yesterday, amazingly they mailed me to say they could no longer access my credit card to charge my fee. This is because I have now had to cancel my card in order to stop them charging my account. This beggars belief, either they are totally stupid or think their customers are. I have read several complaints from customers who they have also continued to charge after closing their accounts. Seems this is standard practice so I must conclude they are a shady bunch. Be wary of opening an account with these people.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV