Review of Acorn TV

support@acorn.tv

104 reviews with 1 star

waynec158
10/8/18
Acorn TV was my go-to for watching British TV. Watch for years using a Amazon Firestick. Now it just crashes out of the app. Speed test shows more than adequate bandwidth. Firestick attached via Cat5e to switch. The ability to use Apple devices to Chromecast is gone as the Chromecast icon in the app is no longer present. Trouble tickets appeared to be automated with no one doing anything. Something bad is going on with Acorn TV.
terif16
9/30/18
The programming is great - if I could watch an entire episode without it freezing in the frame and restarting. Continual issue. And you have to find the program each tome and find where you left off. Ridiculous waste of time. And good luck getting any customer service whatsoever. Canceling my subscription, which is a shame because I like the shows... well, I did until it got to where I can only watch about ten minutes max at a time before it resets itself- and then back to finding the episode I was watching. Don't bother. Horrible service
samc244
8/22/18
once you do the trial, they make it nearly impossible to remove it.
and the billing seems very stealthy so you don't really see it easily.
the content isn't even that good.
Don't fall for the free preview
samb320
8/13/18
Could only watch about 5 minutes of new show Murder Investigation Team because filming technique of ?handheld? camera to jerky giving me nausea and a headache.
mariev35
5/23/18
I am also having problems with acorn TV... I have sent in email requests with no reply.

*******047 Acorn TV Customer Service
carolg240
5/21/18
Can not watch a show for more than a minute before it stops and loads again, and again and again and again and again and again. Do you get the picture! We have tried to contact consumer service but they are non-existent. We will be cancelling.
reginac35
5/16/18
• Updated review
It is now 41 days after the review and many calls and written requests for help. I have received general feedback asking if I am happy with the fix. What fix? No fix. I wanted to write a positive update but am unable to do so simply because these guys are beyond incompetent. An issue exist in their software which they are unwilling to acknowledge. I have changed email, passwords, servers, IP's, OS, devices and location. Somehow, somewhere deep in the underbelly of this beast is a software glitch that they will not acknowledge.

So, find an alternative would be my best suggestion. If what you have works, then great, keep it. The first sign of problems, resolve it or run for the hills.
“Customer service is in the original black hole and shall never appear in person!”
4/5/18
• Previous review
Three months of the same code error preventing us from playing any programmes on any device any where on the planet. That includes at home.

So many request for help TOTALLY ignored. We were one of the very first to sign up when AcornTV started and never had cause to contact them. After years of loyal subscription this is the outcome. The shows are good but God forbid you need help. They are totally incompetent and unwilling to reveal a human element in the discussion. I would strongly advise you avoid these folks until they get their act together. Before this three month long fiasco I would have highly recommend them. Now...never!

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere perhaps at Britbox or get an Android Player that gives access.

paulam171
5/15/18
I paid for a year's subscription and spent 90% of my time trying to find any CSR from this company that could help. They don't have the server power to deliver the shows they advertise and when u can't watch them and contact them they tell you it's your pc and make u do all kinds of crap that doesn't help. I would NOT recommend this company. I am now totally unable to even log in to my acct. and I've only had it for 2 months.
grahamw51
5/6/18
I have subscribed to Acorn TV for over four years with just a few minor issues. I recently decided to cancel the service due to lack of new content. Many shows can be viewed elsewhere. I have now asked an unbelievable FIVE times to cancel my account and send me email confirmation. I have yet to receive anything but their standard "ticket" form which amounts to nothing. Yesterday, amazingly they mailed me to say they could no longer access my credit card to charge my fee. This is because I have now had to cancel my card in order to stop them charging my account. This beggars belief, either they are totally stupid or think their customers are. I have read several complaints from customers who they have also continued to charge after closing their accounts. Seems this is standard practice so I must conclude they are a shady bunch. Be wary of opening an account with these people.
corinas10
4/6/18
Terrible! One day I can wath a show and the next day I get a messahe saying it is or not available in my geographic location. Furthermore I can not find out which shows are are/not available in Canada. It is terribly frustrating. What I did find a shows are or are not available. It seems we get only shows that ate 10 years or older whichi can get anywhere else for free.
luciag12
3/27/18
I tried acorn for a free week, but canceled after a few hours. They charged me anyway, with no warning. Totally unprofessional and useless service.
lindar173
3/26/18
Using Acorn TV means that you can not put a program on pause and in the middle of a program, you get a large box in the middle of the picture that says, "Check your settings and Exit? What settings? To see the rest of the program, you must replay the whole program. I'm going to opt for Brit Box.
daras26
12/23/17
I have never been able to create an account or watch the channel, even though I paid $49.99 for a year of service. They don't have a phone number, nor do they answer their own emails. Complaints are handled by an outside service. I guess they got my money and I'm not going to get the service. These people are crooks!! I wish I could give them no stars!
deborahc121
12/20/17
This is not a streaming service. Showing one episode per week forever is not what I signed up for. Plus the offerings of supposed best British shows is a joke. There are a few that are good. Get rid of the rest. If I could find shows like Murdoch Mysteries somewhere else, I would. Once my subscription nears expiration I may not renew.
victorr62
12/15/17
I had this ervice for 9 years -- I canceled only to use abtter access. However after the cancelation they continued ot charge me. I requested a refund and they acknowleged it was their mistake but declined to correct it. They then stopped answerifgn all emials and they have no customer service phone.

It is less that 5.00, but it is very annoying to find themsoproud of their ability to steal.
edwardh93
12/15/17
In ordering this Item a Christmas Bulb, I experienced the worst service. The bulbs light only stayed on for 30 minutes. The batteries I went to change and the instructions were so horribly child like in its description that I called the customer service number for help. The customer service agent was very nice and stated, "I'm looking at these instructions as well and the they don't make sense, so I will reach out to the warehouse. He did and stated, we will send you another one for this inconvenience".
The next day, I received a phone call from a women to my *******715 number and she was so nasty stating that these instructions are clear and all we got and that basically I was an idiot. I cancelled the order. You have some horrible women working at this place.

Tip for consumers: The most unreliable and discourteous company I've dealt with ever besides ebay which I would never use. Acorn is horrific and has the worst females to service than the male customer service agents at this company. Horrible product too.

jimp148
12/10/17
subscribed to 1 year of ACORN in 2017. Thankfully my credit card expired and they could not renew service.
Then yesterday somehow they got hold of my new credit card number and charged me for another year of (unwanted) service.
I sent a cancellation request immediately, which ACORN accepted, with my account expiring in November, 2019.
So I am still saddled with an unwanted charge of 66.01$ Canadian, for a service I have no use for.

Jim Priebe
janets159
12/5/17
At first ok, found a series which we enjoyed. The next was problematic - episodes unavailable because of this ( ....code)! Some good videos most are ancient or for the simple minded. No decent ones like Dads 'Army or 'One Foot in The Grave. We got tired of the choices and tired of reception problems then signing on was told my membership was at an end!! but they still took the money!! Battle still going - thick people. So don't know where we are but no refunds so watch out.
kingc11
11/25/17
No customer service phone - does not work with Apple TV. Emailed them with my problem and they did email back with the suggestion to delete and reinstall the app. Did not work - no more response from customer service. My advice is to only subscribe through a service like Apple so you have control over cancellation.
dianes203
11/6/17
The picture at Acorn tv is BLURRY and constantly buffering. They're cheating people with an inferior product. There's nothing wrong with our money that you take - but there's something seriously wrong with the product you provide in return Acorn !
judyc97
10/20/17
I signed up for free one month and cancelled in one week. They charged me anyway. They have no number for customer service. It wii cost me money at my bank to stop payment..hate this Chanel
loreleis3
10/16/17
I had a yearly account paying about $50 a year. I cancelled before the renewal date and they charged me anyway. They say my subscription will cancel in a year! I want to cancel now. They have no customer phone and no way to get this problem solved on line. This is a disaster and I would never recommend this to anyone. If you like British stuff go to britbox. Sooooo much better. Much more content and constantly updates. It is 6.99 a month and worth every cent. dont waste you money on acorn.
sherryc59
9/8/17
Many of the best shows are not available in Canada, yet Canadians pay the same rate as American viewers. How is that fair? I'll stay with Netflix.
shirleyg44
8/25/17
Acorn has been a huge disappointment. First, we found out that the charge was in American funds, which was not mentioned at any point when signing up; between the exchange rate and bank fees, it was significantly more expensive than expected. Secondly, many programmes are not available in Canada, and unlike Netflix, those shows are listed so that you discover they're not available only when you select them. Third, the application doesn't work well; links often just don't work. Spend your money elsewhere.
tamh2
7/20/17
I cancelled Acorn 4 months ago and still getting charged. After more emails and lies they won't help. I even sent the original email confirmation from them when I cancelled. Acorn say's I am still connected through a carrier? although I only ran it through a Roku box. So don't get involved. They really lied about 30day free trial, billed me the minute I signed up .. FRUSTRATED AND STILL PAYING.

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV