Review of WyzAnt

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

timj72
12/19/16

Half of the positive reviews seem pretty fake here... I tried Wyzant for 3 months and this service makes no sense. The tutors are forced to give 40% of their rate to the site so they totally overcharge students and parents and clients are forced to pay through website.... why?
Anybody can open an account as a tutor, so there is no exclusivity or warranty...
Also... I realized that parents giving good reviews here (which seem pretty fake) acknowledge that the site is abusive towards tutors and they basically show to not care which is even worse...(flash news... you are being overcharged because of these practices!)
I closed account and use care.com and Tutorz. Way better!!

anag47
12/12/16

I like working with WizAnt. I am an experienced educator. I like teaching one on one lessons and providing students with the right tools to become successful in class and beyond.
WizAnt is a good plataform that establishes the right connections in between students and tutors.
Payments are made on time.
WyzAnt has an accesible website, very easy to navigate.
I have been working with this company for a few month, so far I have had a rewarding experience.

maniew
12/4/16

Amazing company who really work well with freelance tutors and are extremely supportive.

raeb12
11/26/16

Wyzant takes a large percentage of your earnings to welcome you. After that, they do not have any mechanism for changing ratings given by a student. Some students know that if they give a bad review, they will not be charged and they take advantage. IT happened to me a few times. I do not recommend working for Wyzant. I am getting out as quick as possible.

pamelaj25
10/11/16

As a 20-year college professor, I have used all of the Learning Management Systems (LMS) available. WA uses Blackboard, the best LMS, for online learning. As a result, all subject-matters can be covered effectively using pedagogical and/or andragogical methodologies.

When students state they are seeking in-person/local sessions in their post, tutors outside their geographical area do not respond. When students state specific learning objectives that they want to achieve, tutors who can meet those particular needs will respond. General posts such as "need to learn computer science," or "want to learn law" will receive responses that may or may not meet their exact needs.

While Lynda.com boasts criticism of Professors in Higher Education, along with.posts from their tutors that exhibit a severe lack of subject-matter knowledge and skills, WyzAnt.com (WA) showcases the qualified and expert tutors it employs. WA ensures positive learning experiences, and provides excellent support to both its tutors and students.

WA provides and manages all resources necessary to connect students to excellent tutors, including procurement and allocation, payroll, legal, administrative functions, etc., so that tutors can focus on managing their projects, and prevail in helping students meet their goals and achieve success. Their management in these areas is very much worth the percentage WA charges.

WyzAnt.com is an outstanding company for both students and tutors.

francined5
9/24/16

I am new to this site, and I contacted a tutor to see if I could speak/email him before we made arrangements for him to tutor my daughter. He would not speak to me before I gave him my credit card information! Why would anyone in their right mind have that information on file where it is able to be accessed by people you havent even spoken to or met yet?? Am I missing something?

veronicas39
8/19/16

I was very reluctant to get a tutor and Wyzant just happened to pop up on my radar.

The tutor I decided to go with actually messaged me first and we worked out a schedule and I've been very happy with him and I am improving.

I only have slight issues and they're with the people, not Wyzant. One tutor was bugging me a bit and kept sending his entire profile (and reviews) and a lot of tutors are insanely overpriced (in my opinion). But again, that's the people, not the company.

My only slight company complain is that they encourage you to input your payment method before even talking to anyone, supposedly because it makes you look like your interest in tutoring is serious. Still, whenever they charge you you get an email and there haven't been any issues.

I think the issue with most people is that it's like hiring a freelance worker, not someone who is an employee of Wyzant. If you're upset, make sure you're not confusing the tutor from the company.

ryanm125
8/10/16

I have worked with 2 French tutors.
Both times while in the middle of the curriculum the tutors raised their rates, changing the business nature of our agreement.
After my first tutor raised his rates he then decided to stop tutoring and gave no explanation.
My second tutor raised his rates 10$/hr, I declined to pay the additional fee and he charged me a cancellation fee. The problem is Samuel, my former tutor, did not even notify me of the rate change before I could cancel in time for his deadline. He broke his own rule. Samuel was unprofessional and uncaring. Wyzant did not lift a finger to help or understand.

jacquelinem29
8/8/16

Wyzant provides me with an outstanding white board and digital tools, endless respect and outstanding customer service for my online tutoring. I graduated 2010 with a 3.7 GPA from U of AZ with a PhD and two minors, wrote a textbook that won 4 national awards in 2011/2012, and 2015 was published in an international peer reviewed journal. Yet, after 400 job applications I had ONE phone interview due to age discrimination. I have been a field researcher since 2005. As my husband is a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran, we live where the year round mild climate makes his breathing possible. Wyzant is always respectful and pays on time.

stevet99
8/1/16

I'm a tutor and have been for a number of years. From my perspective, Wyzant does a great job. I charge what I want per hour; Wyzant takes their percentage for running this service, and I get the rest.
After many tutorings and many good reviews from students of my work, I sometimes get direct requests for my tutoring service.
The best thing is that Wrzant removes me from having to bill the students directly.

annaw78
7/12/16

Multiple tutors responded in a timely fashion and the one that I worked with was extremely helpful. Will suggest to others looking for tutors in the future!

lawrencep19
7/11/16

Tutor is great.

haiyanw
7/9/16

My tutor pushed me to do the rating and write comments frequently on the WyzAnt, otherwise he would not get money from WyzAnt. That puts lot of stress and requirements on both the tutor and parent. As a busy parents, we hardly have time to check the email and write comments every time. That's too much.

stacyb74
7/9/16

We found an amazing tutor and scheduling and payments are all done through WyzAnt which makes it all really easy.

rickys20

More than I expected

nazt3
7/9/16

From the first call to the last communication via email, the customer care was always there to answer my question, walk me thru solving the problem, and the last but not least they were very patient and took the time to come with the best solution possible, THANK YOU.

bobj112
7/8/16

Have used Wyzant several times. Great tutors every time!

stellal17
7/5/16

The website provided me enough information to find a great tutor. He was responsive to my notes, encouraging and helpful to my son and in a very short time he had the confidence (and skill) to do great on his Algebra II Trig Regents exams. We are very satisfied.

lorenel1
7/4/16

Wyzant offers a multitude of tutors to choose from. The tutor I selected was Esparenza who is a teacher at a local school. She is excellent and very patient.

Wonderful to have a service where you can connect with a teacher face to face, instead of an on-line service. So glad I found WyzAnt to connect me to a good teacher, and one I can meet with when it suits me. Well done for setting this up!

mabelm20
7/2/16

Great experience always and highly satisfied with Wyzant's tutors

lindah191
7/2/16

A great way to find tutoring help from community resources with a convenient, easy-to-use online search, communication and invoicing tool. Perfect!.

conniej23
7/1/16

Wonderful teachers thank goodness I found Wyzant they are very professional.

sharonm138
7/1/16

My experience with Wyzant was very outstanding. My tutor was very knowledgeable and the knowledge he shared with me ,help was immensely . He made sure i understood the principles of the subject and how to solve the statistics problems that I had to learn. I would recommend your service because it has help me a considerably in being successful in this course. My tutor was Joshua B and he was an excellent tutor. I would recommend him to anyone who is seeking help in any math course.

owenm38
7/1/16

I was most satisfied with Mr. Chen's teaching ability.

sallys57
5/19/16

Tutor was nice but not worth the money. On top of that they double charged me. I called and they said they would fix error instead they sent me to collections!!! Hit my credit score for being placed on there. I didnt want to fight them anymore so I just paid the collections. Then Wyzant tutored me on something else..Did you know you credit will get hit again for paying it!!! Totally true. Way to stick it to students!!!!

18 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the WyzAnt staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question