Review of WyzAnt

1714 N Damen Ave Ste 3N
Chicago, IL 60647-5578

nancys238
9/23/17

Under the guise of silicon valley "disruption" this website has dominated google to extort money from educators and students everywhere. Thanks to Wyzant, the cost of tutoring has gone up an average of 30% across the country and even the world. They provide a yelp-like service, but instead of just providing a review they also take a huge cut.

This corporation tricks every person who does a google search for a local tutor by creating countless fake websites that link back to Wyzant. It's difficult to escape them. And most people don't stop to think about the money being ripped off from the tutor, or the higher price the tutor must charge to make up the cut that Wyzant takes.

sebastianc14
9/19/17

I have been ripped off twice by false advertising of tutors who did not even understand the concept of Defamiliarization in English Literature, so I requested proof of what a writing prompt was asking for to protect myself from more scams and had a tutor accuse me of being lazy and not wanting to do any work. Horrible experience and site full of tutors who really don't care, just money, the moment they think your not a cash cow they just become unavailable.

Tip for consumers: just don't. trust me.

patr4543
8/6/17

and then never did the work. He scammed me by saying that he could not give me an estimate on the work until I paid him $80 and then he just did not do the work. Thanks Joe H. remember you may not pay what you owe but you will reap what you sow.

nadah6
7/17/17

A top Wyzant tutor, Marlene Soper, agrees to take $40.00 then, WITHOUT NOTIFICATION, charges $60.00 instead!

The Wyzant platform malfunctions severely for over an hour and Wyzant offers compensation for the first hour only. When the tutor, Marlene Soper, steals the extra $20.00, for what she estimates to be an extra 30 minutes online, Wyzant only offers me a website coupon instead and REFUSES to help with the tutor situation.

Proof conversations copied below:

1. From Skype, when technical issues were so sever that Wyzant suggested we try another platform:

ME: "I think we need to stop here and wait for wyzant to get back to me. Sooo Sorry."
MARLENE: "Yeah. I agree. I'm so sorry about this."
ME: "plz accept the 40 USD they credit to my account on their website? or which ever u prefer"
MARLENE: "OIK. It's up to you.They gave you the credit, you might as well use it. Right."
ME: "ok, thank you. One minute, let me log on and check. ok, it's there"

2. From our text messages when the theft took place:

ME: "Hi Marlene. I just received notification that wyzant charged me for $24 in addition to the 40 dollar credit. Have you received any notification of this??"
MARLENE: " Nada, when we met a week ago and had difficulty, we were talking for over an hour. When we met Friday we were dealing with all of this for 1.5 hours. I asked for 1.5 hours of compensation and have not and will not ask for anything for the weekend before."
ME: " I see. I thought we agreed over skype that it was only gling to be $40? I would have preferred a heads-up, Marlene. In any case, Wyzant should be responsible for the extra payment, not me. I will contact them. Thanks".
ME (later on): "Hello. Wyzant has placed a credit of $25 USD in my account. Please accept that credit for the extra half hour and refund me the original 24.02 USD. Wyzant cannot transfer the funds to me directly, only through the tutor. Thanks."

No reply.

3. Email excerpts with Wyzant since the incident:

"Thank you for reaching out to us...Please know that tutors are able to charge for the amount of time spent with their student during a lesson. Wyzant had provided you with a credit of $40 as a courtesy due to the technical issues that you had experienced with our online lesson platform in hopes that this amount ...may cover the cost of time spent attempting to troubleshoot the issues...If you do not believe the length of the lesson has been incorrectly reported by Marlene, we would encourage you to speak with her directly regarding this. ...I want to reiterate that we are so sorry for the technical issues...With that being said, please note that there is no way for us to refund the additional $24.20 that you were charged by Marlene without explicit permission from the tutor to reduce the length of the lesson...While the $30 coupon cannot be refunded to your payment method, it will remain on your account and can be used towards any future tutoring you receive through Wyzant...ince Wyzant acts as the payment processor for tutors listed on our site, we are unable to adjust the charge of a lesson and provide a refund without the consent of the tutor that has submitted the charge. As such, we will not be able to provide any further refunds for your lesson with Marlene S...It is important to note this decision was made in accordance with our Terms of Use of our site, which all users agree to when creating a Wyzant account. Wyzant considers this decision to be final and a representative will not be made available to discuss this matter further.

The Story:

The lesson involved in this situation is EMPTY, for over an hour I suffered SEVERE technical issues which Wyzant could not explain. I could not even log into the classroom! In the end, they suggested I try an alternative platform until they checked their own for errors. That's when they deposited credit to compensate the first hour.

Marlene only taught a total of 15 MINUTES in that entire time, simply reviewing the previous lesson in preparation for start something new. Yet, I offered to compensate her for the time she spent online WAITING by giving her the $40.00 credit deposited in my account. She ACCEPTED it as an even compensation, after all we were both affected by this. Then charged me an extra $20.00 behind my back! From my OWN money, not from Wyzant.

So what was I left with as a student? Over an hour of time wasted, no new content, severe technical issues where Wyzant could not help, and a payment of $20.00, un-anticipated and undeserved, with no real compensation from the company behind all this!

It's funny that a top reviewed math tutor would behave this way over 20.00 dollars! I am a graduate student, so 20 USD mean something to me, especially when they're taken by force. But for someone who charges $40.00 / hr and has over 400 positive reviews?? I guess they do too.

Over TEN emails were sent back and forth between me and Wyzant, their answer was always the same: We're sorry for your loss, but we can't help with the tutor or the money she took. And we can't pay you directly, only site credit. Good luck!

Since I cannot upload photos onto this review, I have copy-pasted the EXACT text messages that were exchanged between me and Marlene about money, plus excerpts from my emails with Wyzant. Please read them above and judge for yourselves!

A final note: What Marlene did was immoral, it's called STEALING, I would be careful about dealing with her. Even successful tutors get greedy. Also, Wyzant is NOT built to protect the students, it doesn't care if they're being extorted by the tutors, EVEN if their platform is to blame! I would NEVER recommend this site to anyone, their policy is unfair (there's no timer in the classroom, the tutor names the duration of the lesson as she sees fit and Wyzant has no proof how long the lesson ACTUALLY lasted), the platform is ALWAYS crashing and their customer assistance is useless. Again, PLEASE do NOT save your card or PayPal information on their site.

peterd150
7/17/17

They are extremely impersonal and don't do anything to look at any individual case, be it a tutor or a student. Their tests for subjects are fairly trivial, and they don't make it easy to get student. Their service is for the rich, and most cannot afford the prices wyzant wants you to charge. They are simply one of the big businesses in the US, and their top concern is the money they make. Their tutoring platform for online work was good for a short period, but they changed it so that it is almost always inadequate. They say that they don't want to you to do a student's homework, but many of the tutors do that anyway. I think their rating continues to drop, and some day they will be on the street.

jimj117
5/15/17

some say anyone can open an account as a tutor. NOT SO.. Qualified tutors like myself are denied on the site, if they have not been past tutors, and are trying to reinstill them now, since I have tutor experience. They keep your email off,, and find that if you delayed filling out the profile, you are not qualified to be a tutor, though I have written books, have tons of references,, taught many classes, and great responses, and they don't like being involved with existing classes and media. I was very disappointed in their customer service., all answers saying on,,, they went to the advisory board.. A secret method to deny services needed. Very disappointed in this firm and its management.

timj72
12/19/16

Half of the positive reviews seem pretty fake here... I tried Wyzant for 3 months and this service makes no sense. The tutors are forced to give 40% of their rate to the site so they totally overcharge students and parents and clients are forced to pay through website.... why?
Anybody can open an account as a tutor, so there is no exclusivity or warranty...
Also... I realized that parents giving good reviews here (which seem pretty fake) acknowledge that the site is abusive towards tutors and they basically show to not care which is even worse...(flash news... you are being overcharged because of these practices!)
I closed account and use care.com and Tutorz. Way better!!

anag47
12/12/16

I like working with WizAnt. I am an experienced educator. I like teaching one on one lessons and providing students with the right tools to become successful in class and beyond.
WizAnt is a good plataform that establishes the right connections in between students and tutors.
Payments are made on time.
WyzAnt has an accesible website, very easy to navigate.
I have been working with this company for a few month, so far I have had a rewarding experience.

maniew
12/4/16

Amazing company who really work well with freelance tutors and are extremely supportive.

raeb12
11/26/16

Wyzant takes a large percentage of your earnings to welcome you. After that, they do not have any mechanism for changing ratings given by a student. Some students know that if they give a bad review, they will not be charged and they take advantage. IT happened to me a few times. I do not recommend working for Wyzant. I am getting out as quick as possible.

pamelaj25
10/11/16

As a 20-year college professor, I have used all of the Learning Management Systems (LMS) available. WA uses Blackboard, the best LMS, for online learning. As a result, all subject-matters can be covered effectively using pedagogical and/or andragogical methodologies.

When students state they are seeking in-person/local sessions in their post, tutors outside their geographical area do not respond. When students state specific learning objectives that they want to achieve, tutors who can meet those particular needs will respond. General posts such as "need to learn computer science," or "want to learn law" will receive responses that may or may not meet their exact needs.

While Lynda.com boasts criticism of Professors in Higher Education, along with.posts from their tutors that exhibit a severe lack of subject-matter knowledge and skills, WyzAnt.com (WA) showcases the qualified and expert tutors it employs. WA ensures positive learning experiences, and provides excellent support to both its tutors and students.

WA provides and manages all resources necessary to connect students to excellent tutors, including procurement and allocation, payroll, legal, administrative functions, etc., so that tutors can focus on managing their projects, and prevail in helping students meet their goals and achieve success. Their management in these areas is very much worth the percentage WA charges.

WyzAnt.com is an outstanding company for both students and tutors.

francined5
9/24/16

I am new to this site, and I contacted a tutor to see if I could speak/email him before we made arrangements for him to tutor my daughter. He would not speak to me before I gave him my credit card information! Why would anyone in their right mind have that information on file where it is able to be accessed by people you havent even spoken to or met yet?? Am I missing something?

veronicas39
8/19/16

I was very reluctant to get a tutor and Wyzant just happened to pop up on my radar.

The tutor I decided to go with actually messaged me first and we worked out a schedule and I've been very happy with him and I am improving.

I only have slight issues and they're with the people, not Wyzant. One tutor was bugging me a bit and kept sending his entire profile (and reviews) and a lot of tutors are insanely overpriced (in my opinion). But again, that's the people, not the company.

My only slight company complain is that they encourage you to input your payment method before even talking to anyone, supposedly because it makes you look like your interest in tutoring is serious. Still, whenever they charge you you get an email and there haven't been any issues.

I think the issue with most people is that it's like hiring a freelance worker, not someone who is an employee of Wyzant. If you're upset, make sure you're not confusing the tutor from the company.

ryanm125
8/10/16

I have worked with 2 French tutors.
Both times while in the middle of the curriculum the tutors raised their rates, changing the business nature of our agreement.
After my first tutor raised his rates he then decided to stop tutoring and gave no explanation.
My second tutor raised his rates 10$/hr, I declined to pay the additional fee and he charged me a cancellation fee. The problem is Samuel, my former tutor, did not even notify me of the rate change before I could cancel in time for his deadline. He broke his own rule. Samuel was unprofessional and uncaring. Wyzant did not lift a finger to help or understand.

jacquelinem29
8/8/16

Wyzant provides me with an outstanding white board and digital tools, endless respect and outstanding customer service for my online tutoring. I graduated 2010 with a 3.7 GPA from U of AZ with a PhD and two minors, wrote a textbook that won 4 national awards in 2011/2012, and 2015 was published in an international peer reviewed journal. Yet, after 400 job applications I had ONE phone interview due to age discrimination. I have been a field researcher since 2005. As my husband is a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran, we live where the year round mild climate makes his breathing possible. Wyzant is always respectful and pays on time.

stevet99
8/1/16

I'm a tutor and have been for a number of years. From my perspective, Wyzant does a great job. I charge what I want per hour; Wyzant takes their percentage for running this service, and I get the rest.
After many tutorings and many good reviews from students of my work, I sometimes get direct requests for my tutoring service.
The best thing is that Wrzant removes me from having to bill the students directly.

annaw78
7/12/16

Multiple tutors responded in a timely fashion and the one that I worked with was extremely helpful. Will suggest to others looking for tutors in the future!

lawrencep19
7/11/16

Tutor is great.

haiyanw
7/9/16

My tutor pushed me to do the rating and write comments frequently on the WyzAnt, otherwise he would not get money from WyzAnt. That puts lot of stress and requirements on both the tutor and parent. As a busy parents, we hardly have time to check the email and write comments every time. That's too much.

stacyb74
7/9/16

We found an amazing tutor and scheduling and payments are all done through WyzAnt which makes it all really easy.

rickys20

More than I expected

nazt3
7/9/16

From the first call to the last communication via email, the customer care was always there to answer my question, walk me thru solving the problem, and the last but not least they were very patient and took the time to come with the best solution possible, THANK YOU.

bobj112
7/8/16

Have used Wyzant several times. Great tutors every time!

stellal17
7/5/16

The website provided me enough information to find a great tutor. He was responsive to my notes, encouraging and helpful to my son and in a very short time he had the confidence (and skill) to do great on his Algebra II Trig Regents exams. We are very satisfied.

lorenel1
7/4/16

Wyzant offers a multitude of tutors to choose from. The tutor I selected was Esparenza who is a teacher at a local school. She is excellent and very patient.

Wonderful to have a service where you can connect with a teacher face to face, instead of an on-line service. So glad I found WyzAnt to connect me to a good teacher, and one I can meet with when it suits me. Well done for setting this up!

77 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Based upon observations, you have to be invited after you have reached a "stable" level. I don't know if this is based 1) total number of students 2) total number of concurrent students 3) their finding out that I tutored online using other than WyzAnt tools 4) total number of hours 5) length w/WyzAnt At the time I was invited I had 1) 20 total students 2) 6 repeating students 3) used skype to tutor online local WyzAnt student 4) 100+ hours 5) more than 1 year

By Barbara W. on 5/15/15
Helpful answer

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P. on 10/29/15
Helpful answer

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P. on 7/30/15
Helpful answer

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P. on 8/9/10
Helpful answer

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E. [WyzAnt Rep] on 7/14/16
Helpful answer

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E. [WyzAnt Rep] on 6/7/16
Helpful answer

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E. [WyzAnt Rep] on 3/21/16
Helpful answer

Anna, I am a tutor with WyzAnt. While I don't advertise that I negotiate my fee, if the student has a legitimate reason for a discount, I sometimes agree or compromise. Each individual tutor is different. Therefore, you can ask. I cannot guarantee what the answer will be. -Michelle

By Michelle S. on 10/19/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

WyzAnt?