Review of WyzAnt

Chicago, IL 60647-5578, US
support@wyzant.com

vikasg20
6/23/19

They have played with my daughter's account while the lesson was going on they terminated the lesson and charged me. The tutor also charged me via Pay Pal.

smc5
6/14/19

I received this message, as did many other tutors:

After reviewing your account, Wyzant is ending your access to its platform according to paragraphs 17 and 18(b) of the Independent Tutor Agreement. It has come to our attention that a student requested that you complete work on his or her behalf. According to our records, you agreed to complete this work and as such, we will deactivate your account effective immediately.

I helped a customer solve practice problems for an actuarial exam, not even a student. They refused to reactivate my account. I have been tutoring and teaching math for 15 years. They are the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with.

gayanig
6/11/19

Very recently after i have covered 200 hours of Wyzant tutoring i got a message from Wyzant that i have:

Dear Gayani,

If you disagree with this action and wish for us to reconsider, then within 10 calendar days from this notice, you may provide Wyzant with documents or other information for review.

Regards,

The Wyzant Team

My issue is that why students use Wyzant was to get assignments completed only. Otherwise no one follows Wyzant for regular lessons. Because the tutors who are there are not only school teachers, so some do not know the syllabus even.

In my whole career with Wyzant all I did was solving College and High school assignments.

Most students who need help are not the ones who knows how to complete the assignment.

Next I gave a written explanation on this truth that i promised the student to complete the assignment and explain the assignment during class.

After not assessing the truthful nature of mine even, the next mail goes on :

Dear Gayani,

Your profile has been closed according to paragraphs 17 and 18(b) of the Independent Tutor Agreement. Based on the information you provided, we will not reactivate your account. Wyzant considers this decision to be final and a representative will not be made available to further discuss this matter.

Additionally, we have notified the following students that you are no longer listed on Wyzant:

AAA, BBB, CCC.. etc.

If you have any lessons scheduled with other students, please let us know and we will notify them of your deactivation as well. Since your account is no longer active, you may also let us know if you have conducted lessons that you have not yet submitted through the platform; if you provide us with the complete lesson details (student's name, date of lesson, start time, end time, subject, and a 25-word minimum review, if this is the student's requirement), we will enter the completed lessons on your behalf. Payment for these lessons and for any other lesson you have already submitted but for which you have not yet received payment will be issued according to your selected payment schedule.

Regards,

The Wyzant Profile Review Team
www.wyzant.com

Questions? Visit our Help Center!

Where is Justice?

When they get money by advertising Homework help and assignment help given no issues. When a qualified tutor does it with ethics and explaining the assignment it's wrong.

The money that is received back from this platform is also 75% of your rate only.

This platform should be closed for illegal business.

I have proof that most of the tutors listed here are only doing assignments.

The Job requests comes like this only:
An Instant Book Lesson is Available

Gayani, there is a new urgent request for an online Java lesson. You can confirm this lesson, but must be able to accommodate the lesson start time and date.

Wednesday, May 29 at 7:30 PM MDT

Online Java lesson with AAA A., a high school student

Message From Student

I need help rewriting a piece of code to fit as a different data structure for my assignment. It's due tonight!

Student's Assignment

LeaderboardMenu.java 39 B

All what I did was write the answer and the student obtained 99%.
Pls. do justice here.....................

briand32
4/26/19

Management was not willing to explain why they terminated my tutoring profile suddenly. I was disappointed because I had built up a very good reputation with students on there. Not worth the time and effort to build a tutoring profile on their platform, if you ask me.

am526
3/27/19

You are expected to write the student's paper for them, and if they are unhappy with it, you get a low rating. Try to correct that. Wyzant doesn't care about the tutors, just about keeping the students coming back the next time a paper is due. That's what you see: "My paper is due in two days, can you help me?" "Help" means to write it for them. Difficult to get students. Policies favor the student or Wyzant, not the tutor. Better to put a ad on a local bulletin board.

briannac39
9/4/18

I started tutoring for Wyzant about 2 months ago. The clients I have gotten (both online & in person) have been incredible! I am working with children from 3rd grade through High School/SAT prep. The market place provides great opportunities. I have enjoyed working for Wyzant and even earned a raise because I have many clients and record a lot of hours!

mixcc
7/25/18

Incredible poor service. I strongly question the process to assess tutors. I was denied tutoring without having been given a fair chance to prove I was a proficient tutor.
In fact I am a successful native foreign language tutor from years now, but I was not even asked to take a test, instead denied with a very generic explanation
It does not get any worse than this.

carolinas24
7/12/18

Students learn the Spanish language very quickly and easily.
The way I teach Spanish is very pleasant and professional. I'm interested in people talking, writing and reading very well. I teach many things from different countries in Latin America and I am interested in the specific needs of the student to advance in this language.

tammyj69
7/6/18

If anyone claiming to be a tutor for Wyzant asks for any type of payment method then they should be reported to Wyzant immediately. Wyzant tutors are paid by Wyzant.

maddio
3/26/18

I was a prospective tutor for Wyzant and applied for tutoring writing and literature. I am a published author of an academic book used in Universities nation wide and sold in all bookstores, have been tutoring this subject for 8 years and received honors in both my undergraduate and graduate schools. They have approved other tutors including those without degrees with less qualifications and do not select their tutors well. When I contacted them multiple times asking why I was denied they said the committee chose not to accept me and they had no information on why. When I asked to speak with a manager they denied my request. DO NOT WORK OR USE THIS SERVICE.

cyrusr11
2/28/18

This company is a disaster. I applied and wrote 3 paragraphs about my experience, and they emailed me 3 times asking me to update my profile, then they emailed me telling me that they didn't think I was a match with their pathetic company. They are patently vague regarding the free response section of creating a profile, and I would never want to work for such a disgusting company like wyzant. Just read their Yelp reviews. Many are complaining about the 40% commission, then there are the vagaries about applying as a tutor.

stephenk99
2/28/18

They ALWAYS use the send it to board of review to get on.. They want cheap unliable people so they can collect their fee. Very very disappointing company.

jamesc527
2/5/18

Wyzant is an excellent online tutoring service. Many opportunities to help students and to earn extra income.

nancys238
9/23/17

Under the guise of silicon valley "disruption" this website has dominated google to extort money from educators and students everywhere. Thanks to Wyzant, the cost of tutoring has gone up an average of 30% across the country and even the world. They provide a yelp-like service, but instead of just providing a review they also take a huge cut.

This corporation tricks every person who does a google search for a local tutor by creating countless fake websites that link back to Wyzant. It's difficult to escape them. And most people don't stop to think about the money being ripped off from the tutor, or the higher price the tutor must charge to make up the cut that Wyzant takes.

sebastianc14
9/19/17

I have been ripped off twice by false advertising of tutors who did not even understand the concept of Defamiliarization in English Literature, so I requested proof of what a writing prompt was asking for to protect myself from more scams and had a tutor accuse me of being lazy and not wanting to do any work. Horrible experience and site full of tutors who really don't care, just money, the moment they think your not a cash cow they just become unavailable.

Tip for consumers: just don't. trust me.

patr4543
8/6/17

and then never did the work. He scammed me by saying that he could not give me an estimate on the work until I paid him $80 and then he just did not do the work. Thanks Joe H. remember you may not pay what you owe but you will reap what you sow.

nadah6
7/17/17

A top Wyzant tutor, Marlene Soper, agrees to take $40.00 then, WITHOUT NOTIFICATION, charges $60.00 instead!

The Wyzant platform malfunctions severely for over an hour and Wyzant offers compensation for the first hour only. When the tutor, Marlene Soper, steals the extra $20.00, for what she estimates to be an extra 30 minutes online, Wyzant only offers me a website coupon instead and REFUSES to help with the tutor situation.

Proof conversations copied below:

1. From Skype, when technical issues were so sever that Wyzant suggested we try another platform:

ME: "I think we need to stop here and wait for wyzant to get back to me. Sooo Sorry."
MARLENE: "Yeah. I agree. I'm so sorry about this."
ME: "plz accept the 40 USD they credit to my account on their website? or which ever u prefer"
MARLENE: "OIK. It's up to you.They gave you the credit, you might as well use it. Right."
ME: "ok, thank you. One minute, let me log on and check. ok, it's there"

2. From our text messages when the theft took place:

ME: "Hi Marlene. I just received notification that wyzant charged me for $24 in addition to the 40 dollar credit. Have you received any notification of this??"
MARLENE: " Nada, when we met a week ago and had difficulty, we were talking for over an hour. When we met Friday we were dealing with all of this for 1.5 hours. I asked for 1.5 hours of compensation and have not and will not ask for anything for the weekend before."
ME: " I see. I thought we agreed over skype that it was only gling to be $40? I would have preferred a heads-up, Marlene. In any case, Wyzant should be responsible for the extra payment, not me. I will contact them. Thanks".
ME (later on): "Hello. Wyzant has placed a credit of $25 USD in my account. Please accept that credit for the extra half hour and refund me the original 24.02 USD. Wyzant cannot transfer the funds to me directly, only through the tutor. Thanks."

No reply.

3. Email excerpts with Wyzant since the incident:

"Thank you for reaching out to us...Please know that tutors are able to charge for the amount of time spent with their student during a lesson. Wyzant had provided you with a credit of $40 as a courtesy due to the technical issues that you had experienced with our online lesson platform in hopes that this amount ...may cover the cost of time spent attempting to troubleshoot the issues...If you do not believe the length of the lesson has been incorrectly reported by Marlene, we would encourage you to speak with her directly regarding this. ...I want to reiterate that we are so sorry for the technical issues...With that being said, please note that there is no way for us to refund the additional $24.20 that you were charged by Marlene without explicit permission from the tutor to reduce the length of the lesson...While the $30 coupon cannot be refunded to your payment method, it will remain on your account and can be used towards any future tutoring you receive through Wyzant...ince Wyzant acts as the payment processor for tutors listed on our site, we are unable to adjust the charge of a lesson and provide a refund without the consent of the tutor that has submitted the charge. As such, we will not be able to provide any further refunds for your lesson with Marlene S...It is important to note this decision was made in accordance with our Terms of Use of our site, which all users agree to when creating a Wyzant account. Wyzant considers this decision to be final and a representative will not be made available to discuss this matter further.

The Story:

The lesson involved in this situation is EMPTY, for over an hour I suffered SEVERE technical issues which Wyzant could not explain. I could not even log into the classroom! In the end, they suggested I try an alternative platform until they checked their own for errors. That's when they deposited credit to compensate the first hour.

Marlene only taught a total of 15 MINUTES in that entire time, simply reviewing the previous lesson in preparation for start something new. Yet, I offered to compensate her for the time she spent online WAITING by giving her the $40.00 credit deposited in my account. She ACCEPTED it as an even compensation, after all we were both affected by this. Then charged me an extra $20.00 behind my back! From my OWN money, not from Wyzant.

So what was I left with as a student? Over an hour of time wasted, no new content, severe technical issues where Wyzant could not help, and a payment of $20.00, un-anticipated and undeserved, with no real compensation from the company behind all this!

It's funny that a top reviewed math tutor would behave this way over 20.00 dollars! I am a graduate student, so 20 USD mean something to me, especially when they're taken by force. But for someone who charges $40.00 / hr and has over 400 positive reviews?? I guess they do too.

Over TEN emails were sent back and forth between me and Wyzant, their answer was always the same: We're sorry for your loss, but we can't help with the tutor or the money she took. And we can't pay you directly, only site credit. Good luck!

Since I cannot upload photos onto this review, I have copy-pasted the EXACT text messages that were exchanged between me and Marlene about money, plus excerpts from my emails with Wyzant. Please read them above and judge for yourselves!

A final note: What Marlene did was immoral, it's called STEALING, I would be careful about dealing with her. Even successful tutors get greedy. Also, Wyzant is NOT built to protect the students, it doesn't care if they're being extorted by the tutors, EVEN if their platform is to blame! I would NEVER recommend this site to anyone, their policy is unfair (there's no timer in the classroom, the tutor names the duration of the lesson as she sees fit and Wyzant has no proof how long the lesson ACTUALLY lasted), the platform is ALWAYS crashing and their customer assistance is useless. Again, PLEASE do NOT save your card or PayPal information on their site.

peterd150
7/17/17

They are extremely impersonal and don't do anything to look at any individual case, be it a tutor or a student. Their tests for subjects are fairly trivial, and they don't make it easy to get student. Their service is for the rich, and most cannot afford the prices wyzant wants you to charge. They are simply one of the big businesses in the US, and their top concern is the money they make. Their tutoring platform for online work was good for a short period, but they changed it so that it is almost always inadequate. They say that they don't want to you to do a student's homework, but many of the tutors do that anyway. I think their rating continues to drop, and some day they will be on the street.

jimj117
5/15/17

some say anyone can open an account as a tutor. NOT SO.. Qualified tutors like myself are denied on the site, if they have not been past tutors, and are trying to reinstill them now, since I have tutor experience. They keep your email off,, and find that if you delayed filling out the profile, you are not qualified to be a tutor, though I have written books, have tons of references,, taught many classes, and great responses, and they don't like being involved with existing classes and media. I was very disappointed in their customer service., all answers saying on,,, they went to the advisory board.. A secret method to deny services needed. Very disappointed in this firm and its management.

timj72
12/19/16

Half of the positive reviews seem pretty fake here... I tried Wyzant for 3 months and this service makes no sense. The tutors are forced to give 40% of their rate to the site so they totally overcharge students and parents and clients are forced to pay through website.... why?
Anybody can open an account as a tutor, so there is no exclusivity or warranty...
Also... I realized that parents giving good reviews here (which seem pretty fake) acknowledge that the site is abusive towards tutors and they basically show to not care which is even worse...(flash news... you are being overcharged because of these practices!)
I closed account and use care.com and Tutorz. Way better!!

anag47
12/12/16

I like working with WizAnt. I am an experienced educator. I like teaching one on one lessons and providing students with the right tools to become successful in class and beyond.
WizAnt is a good plataform that establishes the right connections in between students and tutors.
Payments are made on time.
WyzAnt has an accesible website, very easy to navigate.
I have been working with this company for a few month, so far I have had a rewarding experience.

maniew
12/4/16

Amazing company who really work well with freelance tutors and are extremely supportive.

raeb12
11/26/16

Wyzant takes a large percentage of your earnings to welcome you. After that, they do not have any mechanism for changing ratings given by a student. Some students know that if they give a bad review, they will not be charged and they take advantage. IT happened to me a few times. I do not recommend working for Wyzant. I am getting out as quick as possible.

pamelaj25
10/11/16

As a 20-year college professor, I have used all of the Learning Management Systems (LMS) available. WA uses Blackboard, the best LMS, for online learning. As a result, all subject-matters can be covered effectively using pedagogical and/or andragogical methodologies.

When students state they are seeking in-person/local sessions in their post, tutors outside their geographical area do not respond. When students state specific learning objectives that they want to achieve, tutors who can meet those particular needs will respond. General posts such as "need to learn computer science," or "want to learn law" will receive responses that may or may not meet their exact needs.

While Lynda.com boasts criticism of Professors in Higher Education, along with.posts from their tutors that exhibit a severe lack of subject-matter knowledge and skills, WyzAnt.com (WA) showcases the qualified and expert tutors it employs. WA ensures positive learning experiences, and provides excellent support to both its tutors and students.

WA provides and manages all resources necessary to connect students to excellent tutors, including procurement and allocation, payroll, legal, administrative functions, etc., so that tutors can focus on managing their projects, and prevail in helping students meet their goals and achieve success. Their management in these areas is very much worth the percentage WA charges.

WyzAnt.com is an outstanding company for both students and tutors.

francined5
9/24/16

I am new to this site, and I contacted a tutor to see if I could speak/email him before we made arrangements for him to tutor my daughter. He would not speak to me before I gave him my credit card information! Why would anyone in their right mind have that information on file where it is able to be accessed by people you havent even spoken to or met yet?? Am I missing something?

77 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.

Also, this . is crazy to charge so much from students...like 90$ per hour???? This organization should be banned and brought to justice

By Vikas G.

By G G.

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P.

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

No not at all. This site invades privacy of individuals through the chat messages and terminate your account and send a legal case as well.

By G G.

I did and they played emotionally. This business should be banned so students and teachers can have a reasonable way to interact and tutor on reasonable rates.

By Vikas G.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative
Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

1 Photo for WyzAnt