WyzAnt

WyzAnt has a consumer rating of 3.92 stars from 427 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with WyzAnt most frequently mention billing info, great tutor and many hours. WyzAnt ranks 5th among Tutor sites.

No positive highlights yet

• They also suspend your account if you give out any email or phone number before billing information is set up.
  • Overall, though, Wyzant has a horrible business model.
How would you rate WyzAnt?

“Love tutoring”

Brianna C.
9/4/18

I started tutoring for Wyzant about 2 months ago. The clients I have gotten (both online & in person) have been incredible! I am working with children from 3rd grade through High School/SAT prep. The market place provides great opportunities. I have enjoyed working for Wyzant and even earned a raise because I have many clients and record a lot of hours!

“Most Tutors Blow You Off”

Amanda M.
9/12/20

I sent multiple messages to different tutors. One set up a time then blew me off, another deleted all my work and rewrote it leaving tons of mistakes, the rest put my messages in a loop so they could increase their their hourly rate. Meaning I cannot contact them because my previous message was sent at old pay rate. This site is a joke!

billing information (8) business model (12)
amandam1044
September 12th, 2020
krishanm
May 10th, 2020
Great to work for if you're Caucasian. If not, then you'll probably get you account deactivated with no explanation.
peterd150
July 17th, 2017
They are extremely impersonal and don't do anything to look at any individual case, be it a tutor or a student. Their tests for subjects are fairly trivial, and they don't make it easy to get student. Their service is for the rich, and most cannot afford the prices wyzant wants you to charge. They are simply one of the big businesses in the US, and their top concern is the money they make. Their tutoring platform for online work was good for a short period, but they changed it so that it is almost always inadequate. They say that they don't want to you to do a student's homework, but many of the tutors do that anyway. I think their rating continues to drop, and some day they will be on the street.
brittneyj13
March 13th, 2016
Verified purchase
The tutor that I had was able to talk to me about concepts. When it came down to the organic problems in the chapter, she was unable to answer those questions and said she would get back to me. I am now going to contact my teacher for any questions that I have and no longer waist my money on a tutor who doesn't know the material well enough to tutor someone
regiep
October 6th, 2020
I was able to get a couple of gigs on the platform. Made over $100 after fees, but before I could cash out they deactivated my account. I was contacted by a student, Wyzant claims was a fake or spam account. They deactivated the student account and informed me they would also deactivate mine for agreeing to help that student. I tried to explain to them that it was a mistake and get them to reactivate my account but they did not and kept the $100+ worth of tutoring funds on my account.
So disappointed that I went through all the trouble of signing up, taking their test, and seeing my account deactivated after I even spent time tutoring on there. Really bad experience.

Tip for consumers:
Stay away from the platform. You go through the trouble of signing up and even invest time in teaching, yet they will deactivate your account overnight with no refund and keep the funds.

Products used:
tutoring services

nikin17
November 18th, 2020
They do not care about their tutors and will delete your profile whenever they see fit, without reason or cause. I had a 5 star rating that I acquired after 3 years of tutoring on their site- and one day they just decided to delete it. It is an unreliable source of income, and when you receive income- they take a huge percentage of it- more than any other tutoring site (heytutor, tutors.com). Their customer representatives, Nichole and Darrien, were useless and unhelpful. There are many other better tutoring sites that are more respectful for their tutors and way more reliable!
marilynw13
January 17th, 2016
Verified purchase
Once we got a tutor, it was a great experience. Only drawback was finding one. We were going to go with a tutor who listed area and would travel short distance. Then, upon contact, she only wanted to do it through the internet. Might not have actually been in the area. I must say, though, that WyzAnt protected us through the process. Overall, it was a very good experience and the tutoring was great.
cassandras11
April 12th, 2016
Verified purchase
Wyzant can give you plenty of options to work with for tutors. Although some of the tutors aren't fully truthful about what they know making to process frustrating.

Also it seems that the site's communication board has good days and bad days.
rhondar16
April 16th, 2016
I've been a tutor for several years, for both companies and independently. Wyzant has been a great tool for me to find clients, which I get to screen and make sure we are a good fit. At first, the site takes a high percent of your earnings, but it doesn't take long to get the better rate if you're working steadily as a tutor. I even was able to add in my existing clients and still get 95% of my rate. Totally worth it to let my clients do auto pay with credit cards instead of me taking time every month creating invoices and constantly asking them when they'll have my check ready. Plus, Wyzant can provide background checks, which adds legitimacy and trust with new clients. They even provide tax forms for you. The online scheduler is great and easy to use. This site has tripled my tutoring income. I rated the site a 4 instead of 5 for the high percent they take at the beginning stages, but I have had only positive experiences with the site for the past 2 years.
selahattinh
December 28th, 2019
I was charged for the lesson I didn't request,
A tutor was able to schedule lesson without any confirmations in the last minute
And you are not able to cancel the lesson because of 24-hour cancel restrictions,
I don't get it what kind of application logic it is that doesn't have any confirmation of customer
I requested the refund, probably they wouldn't pay
tamaram113
December 17th, 2019
When I got paid Wyzant took 25% of the fee I set. They added 9% to the parent fee. Highway robbery. DO not work for this company.
am526
March 27th, 2019
You are expected to write the student's paper for them, and if they are unhappy with it, you get a low rating. Try to correct that. Wyzant doesn't care about the tutors, just about keeping the students coming back the next time a paper is due. That's what you see: "My paper is due in two days, can you help me?" "Help" means to write it for them. Difficult to get students. Policies favor the student or Wyzant, not the tutor. Better to put a ad on a local bulletin board.
vanceh10
January 17th, 2016
Hello,
I have had some great students while tutoring thru WyzAnt. Sadly, I was discontinued because of some kind of policy infraction that I was unaware of and remain unaware. They need clarification w/ some of their practices re: tutoring rules. I have excellent reviews for college and secondary school. WyzAnt remains a good place to find a tutor if you need one but be aware of their corporate structure if you want to be a tutor.
Sincerely,
Dr. Vance High
salc12
February 5th, 2016
I have always needed a little push in the right direction and I have found that typee of help here at WyzAnt! Whenever I get stuck with a project I come here to figure out what it isd that I need to do to give me more insight to the project at hand and always find someone to help me get in the right direction when I get stuck! Best service!
sylviab18
March 20th, 2016
Verified purchase
The first one had (1) good experience then she cancelled minutes before the following session!

The 2nd tutor we tried ended the first session after 15 min and said there was no charge. Horrible experience!
carole74
Carol E. – WyzAnt Rep
Hi Sylvia, thank you making us aware of your experience. We pride ourselves on helping students find the tutor that works best with their personal goals. That's why we'll be happy to help with your search, or assist you in any other way we can.

- Dave
briannac39
September 4th, 2018
susanp106
May 12th, 2016
I'm writing a dissertation and needed help deciding on a research design. Ali met with me the same day I contacted him, asked appropriate questions to understand my proposal, and provided timely feedback and follow up. I couldn't have asked for more.
smc5
June 14th, 2019
I received this message, as did many other tutors:

After reviewing your account, Wyzant is ending your access to its platform according to paragraphs 17 and 18(b) of the Independent Tutor Agreement. It has come to our attention that a student requested that you complete work on his or her behalf. According to our records, you agreed to complete this work and as such, we will deactivate your account effective immediately.

I helped a customer solve practice problems for an actuarial exam, not even a student. They refused to reactivate my account. I have been tutoring and teaching math for 15 years. They are the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with.
jamesc527
February 5th, 2018
Wyzant is an excellent online tutoring service. Many opportunities to help students and to earn extra income.
carolinas24
July 12th, 2018
Students learn the Spanish language very quickly and easily.
The way I teach Spanish is very pleasant and professional. I'm interested in people talking, writing and reading very well. I teach many things from different countries in Latin America and I am interested in the specific needs of the student to advance in this language.
harveyz
January 30th, 2016
WyzAnt is an innovative platform. The customer service, payment verification and processing, and scheduling system is a great value for people who want to tutor for some extra income, extra experience, or to develop skill in teaching and working with students.

The pay percentage system is designed to encourage investment in the platform. However, if you already have students and want to use the features of the system to simplify your work, WyzAnt currently has a way where you can retain most of your earnings. The screening, validation, and scheduling is the most valuable aspect of WyzAnt for me.

Tip for consumers:
Learn the platform and help newer students understand how to properly share documents and schedule lessons.

sebastianc14
September 19th, 2017
I have been ripped off twice by false advertising of tutors who did not even understand the concept of Defamiliarization in English Literature, so I requested proof of what a writing prompt was asking for to protect myself from more scams and had a tutor accuse me of being lazy and not wanting to do any work. Horrible experience and site full of tutors who really don't care, just money, the moment they think your not a cash cow they just become unavailable.

just don't. trust me.

cyrusr11
February 28th, 2018
This company is a disaster. I applied and wrote 3 paragraphs about my experience, and they emailed me 3 times asking me to update my profile, then they emailed me telling me that they didn't think I was a match with their pathetic company. They are patently vague regarding the free response section of creating a profile, and I would never want to work for such a disgusting company like wyzant. Just read their Yelp reviews. Many are complaining about the 40% commission, then there are the vagaries about applying as a tutor.
suen18
October 29th, 2015
I worked with a tutor who was wonderful and I worked with another who was not so wonderful. I only worked with the bad tutor for about 20 minutes online. Although I had explicitly stated what I needed (our correspondence is in writing), he accused me of not being upfront with him and being too low-level to help (he did not charge me, as far as I know). I called and spoke to a friendly representative who sent me a list of tutors and stated she would note the bad tutor to her supervisor. I am a "nontraditional" (aka old) student who has been out of school for a long time, so maybe I am a slower learner, but I have been working really hard to be successful (I've gotten A's on my tests). I felt insulted and humiliated by the bad tutor's comments/attitude. As I stated, the first tutor was really great (it's been a while, but I think he was from WyzAnt), so I don't think the bad tutor is representative of their tutors. Even though I had a bad experience, I would still recommend the site because there are kind people who are patient and understanding out there. Don't give up, even if you're old and slow!
williams272
February 6th, 2014
Almost a complete waste of time. I would apply for "tutoring opportunities" by the dozen and never hear back from any of these supposed "students." Even the ones who live in the same town I live in never responded. I also tried boosting my presence on their site by answering dozens of questions about quadratic equations, calculus, compound interest, etc. Nothing helped. I figure they are either scamming us by creating fictitious "students" or non-serious students are registering with their site. The same goes for Tutor.com, Tutor Doctor, etc. Worthless as mammary glands of a stallion.

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.
See more answers (5)

Also, this. Is crazy to charge so much from students... like 90$ per hour? This organization should be banned and brought to justice

By Vikas G.

By G G.
See more answers (5)

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!

By Don P.
See more answers (3)

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.
See more answers (3)

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

See more answers (2)

No not at all. This site invades privacy of individuals through the chat messages and terminate your account and send a legal case as well.

By G G.
See more answers (2)

I did and they played emotionally. This business should be banned so students and teachers can have a reasonable way to interact and tutor on reasonable rates.

By Vikas G.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., Director

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., Director

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

Founded in 2005, and headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, WyzAnt is the world’s leading tutoring network, helping more students, in more places than anyone else.

We believe that private tutoring is the most powerful way to unlock “I get it” moments—when eyes light up, possibilities unfold, and confidence is born.

With expert tutors across hundreds of subjects like math, test prep, foreign languages, and more, we make private tutoring accessible and affordable, in person and online.

carole74
Carol E.
Director

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WyzAnt?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

3.9
Have a question about WyzAnt?