Chegg

Chegg has a consumer rating of 1.7 stars from 194 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Chegg also ranks 40th among Textbooks sites. The most common issues with Chegg are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 1.7%

• After waiting for 2 weeks, there was no evidence that UPS (or Chegg) received them.

• I asked for a refund and customer service said they'd send me a pre-paid shipping label.
  • However, once you pay your money you do not get no answers just the same questions in your book.
How would you rate Chegg?

“Best experience with 365 Data science”

smriti a.
4/19/20

365 Data Science program is like a boon for every student who wants to develop his/ her skills and best for those who want to start a career in data science. Even if a person don't know how to implement simple maths formulas in Excel then they have designed a very perfect course structure for the basic Excel and when the person gain knowledge and build his basics, they have advance excel course which contains all the tips and tricks as well. The teaching assistance is very dedicated and ready to support 24x7. They have covered all the required skills for data science like Python, R, SQL, Tableau and even if a person is weak in Maths, Statistics, Probability they have designed their very amazing lectures for these basics so that student can be comfortable when he learns the programming skills and also they have designed SQL+Tableau, SQL+Python so that student can correlated these programming language and understand the difference between different languages very well.

“Totally waste of money & time”

MA A.
4/6/20

I always get at least 3 of my questions unsolved or solved in the wrong way. This issue has happened several times in my recent subscriptions and i tend to find the answers using similar websites like Chegg. I tried to contact Chegg through their e-mail but there's no response. Moreover, whenever i tend to give a low rated answer, someone will negotiate me until i prove them wrong. I have attached screenshots of some of my closed questions & wrong answers for evidence (one of them has not been answered since 11/23/2019). It has become a waste of money & time.

customer service (44) book (96) account (48) 48 hours (9) 3 months (6) 2 weeks (5) credit card (10) question (33) 3 books (3) order (37) school bookstore (3) college students (3)
maa17
April 6th, 2020
sharc3
May 26th, 2020
These people try to pull nine different transactions from my credit card and banking information. I've never heard from these people again I put a stop on the card I also put a claim out on getting at least three of the actual authorized purchases. I also called corporate which there was no answer and I had to leave a message. Complete POS. Make your own money!
corb1
April 7th, 2020
These people steal your money. When an unknown transaction is debited from my account by Chegg.com they cannot find the order, amount, or transaction in their records to verify and refund. They are not interested to help you and will rather keep your money for no reason.

Tip for consumers: Stay away!

abdia7
April 28th, 2020
I have been chegg customer for long time and they do not value at all their clients. If you log in into different computers, they automacally suspend your account. No one, you can talk to your issue. You have to wait three days to get respond. They know, it is computer error. I talked to one of their representative, they could not dare to answer my questions. They are so rude. Do not ever call them, they won't help you at all. It is wasting time.
mariac905
May 30th, 2020
My daughter got locked into a subscription without knowing, and when I tried to retrieve 9 months worth of unused membership, they only refunded 3 months. I asked if my daughter could at least have a couple of months to use it free, since she did not take advantage of all those months we paid for... and I was told "no" and "have a great day".
I gave a one star because I did not have the option of giving NO stars.
jennyf104
December 5th, 2019
The platform offers many different services but I only used the subscription based. I think I got like 15 questions free which I used only for writing but it looks like they don't give writing services like papers and what not, only an answer to a question.
ellek11
January 29th, 2020
I returned my textbook under my extension date, but was recently charged for my textbook claiming of no knowledge of my shipment. Despite sending me a confirmation email saying how ups notified them saying the shipment was on it's way. I am very distraught and going through a family emergency at the same time, and I just wish to resolve this but customer service has ignored me for an hour so now I am sharing my experience.
smritia4
April 19th, 2020
joys220
May 11th, 2020
Was told my question would be answered "sooner or later" and provide info. I do and they delete it for breach of some sort. Total disappointment. Tried numerous times to get refund but could never get through. They debit me AGAIN today... but after an hour I finally got thru and overall the lady was kind and is refunding my money. So the one star is for you Miss Customer Service Lady
brittanyt96
April 13th, 2020
This had the potential to be worth the money but in the end wasn't. I wanted the Chegg subscription for the tutoring and the 20 questions every billing cycle. Every time I signed in either from my phone or work computer, my account kept getting flagged or suspended. They insisted I needed to get my own subscription or assumed I had given my login information to someone else. I ended up spending more time with my account suspended that I did using it. Overall, this is not a good platform for additional help.
mirandab71
April 28th, 2020
Chegg decided to deactivate my account while I was in the middle of taking a final exam. Don't waste your money on them. It's too expensive and not worth the hassle. Their customer service is even worse.
nicka190
March 11th, 2020
I have found 27 different solutions for the same problem and they are ALL wrong! This isn't the first time either! Total waste of money!
rj296
May 14th, 2020
Chegg is a giant waste of money. They do not offer a 30-day free trial as advertised so don't count on using that.
binarar
May 7th, 2020
Chegg suspended my account twice within a week saying that im violating their terms by exceeding the number of users. But im damn sure that im the only person on earth had its username and password and i haven't shared it with others. But the both times they suspended the account while i was at sleep. First time they managed to solve the issue. But the second time they said they cant help me to get my account. I have two assignments due on the day they suspended the account and they didn't even care about that. So poor customer service. I won't recommend this kind of money minded site
fredd120
April 30th, 2020
Rented a book, and I had no problem with that or returning it. However, after I rented the book they said I qualified for free online solutions. Great!
Well, it wasn't free, it was $15/month and perpetual. My wife didn't notice the charges (she pays that bill) and I didn't until 5 months after I finished the course and returned the book. All told I spent $150 on this "service" that I never used in addition to the book,
Not worth the aggravation.
dylandw
March 10th, 2020
The majority of the issues written upon in these reviews are a real thing. This is literally a racket they have going on. No customer service to speak of and I couldn't believe my eyes when I got locked out of my account for 48 hours... more than once. It's like once my card information was in their database they packed up and left town in the middle of the night. I figured those people in the reviews were anomalies. Spend your money elsewhere; you work hard for it, these people clearly don't, nor do they value anything but your money.
cameront49
February 29th, 2020
They will constantly lock you out of your account for 48 hours while your account is "under investigation", preventing you from being able to view books or study solutions, on the pretense that you have been sharing your account with others. I have never done this, but they will lock you out of your account and steal your money, on top of preventing you from seeing the content that you paid good money for.
danb695
May 7th, 2020
The customer service are non sense and not well trained to handle any issue. Chegg steals your money for a cheap service.
johnr2548
July 14th, 2020
It's a scam... can end your subscription whenever it wants and run away with your money. Chegg support gets even worse
pardeepk13
April 2nd, 2020
Hlooo sir why you take my money every month i unsubscribe my order so many times what is thiss you take charge every month from my acount i had already deactivated this service 2 months ago pls tell me as soon as possible and why you dont reply of my emails. Its very bad
sangeethat
June 25th, 2020
These people are worthless. Don't subscribe to them. Only 0.000001% of the solutions are correct. Also when you post a question, they take ages to answer that. WORST SITE EVER. They are running scam in the name of educational website. It is more tempting to subscribe for it, but it is not worth it. Please don't waste your money.
vanessaw137
March 13th, 2020
I'm fed up with chegg. More than once now I've been unable to use my account because it says "unusual activity." I don't understand what's unusual about me searching questions like I always do. It's ridiculous. I pay $14.99 a month because I expect to be able to use my account. On top of that Chegg rudely suggest me getting my own subscription, which I obviously already have. This is the second time I've been pushed out of my own account at a time where I need it. Customer service isn't helpful, they say they have to investigate your account to see if someone else is using it and it takes a couple days sometimes. What a joke.
erikag61
February 26th, 2020
Please stay away from Chegg! By far the most unprofessional, displeasing, unhelpful, and runaround company I have ever come across. Representatives are ill-informed which caused me to return a book I was told I would be refunded for. The book was returned and they notified me the reimbursement cannot happen because I bought the book under "purchase". So now here I am book-less and money less. So much for helping college students. DO NOT USE CHEGG, IT SCAMS AND DECEIVES THROUGH ILL-INFORMED REPRESENTATIVES
melisei
March 23rd, 2020
They suspended my account because I logged in on my phone when I was away from my computer, where I was still logged in. I needed my account to study, so I called the customer service line. They provided me with NO help at all. He did not fix it, nor would he allow me to cancel my subscription. He just kept repeating that I can't log in on two devices. Now I am paying for something I cannot use to study until the "investigation" is over. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS.
winrya1
March 3rd, 2020
So, the past week I have been asking Chegg experts questions about my homework problems relating to sign testing and runs testing. The people who have been answering have been different and they all have gotten the answers wrong. Chegg is good for simple math problems that everyone should know and not the hard statistic and probability problems only math majors know about. Don't get Chegg if you are in a college math course, but if you are in high school or middle school then get Chegg. The experts at Chegg are not experts!

1st experience and it will be the last one with this company. This could be my fault doing business again with Chegg but never again am I going to them. Their algorithms for detecting multiple users on an account are so backwards. When I spoke with them they told me there's no record showing you are shared your account and your account is active but they lied. If you work and study on your work computers you'll have to reset your password every 4 seconds. If you use library or lab computers you'll also have to reset your password, because Chegg thinks you're account sharing. If you use a VPN you'll be blocked from accessing the site. Finally, if you complain about any of it you'll have your Chegg account deleted with no refund. They also get sneaky about billing you extra too. Also Using Chegg is a risk to your academic career, your school can contact Chegg at any time and get exactly what you accessed and looked at and time you're on. Basically if you use anything other than buying books, you can get in trouble for cheating. Chegg will throw you under the bus. Their customer service lady was rude and kept talking to me like I was wasting her time when I kept telling her why my account suspended. Chegg doesn't care! Once they got your money their opinion is, "Tough luck suckers! We just got at least one month of fees out of you. More if you don't take the hours to unsubscribe." Joke site! Enter at your own risk, some people like to learn the hard way. Chegg is like a really small scam. They provide tutorial but they just steal your money even after you stopped the contract. If anyone Is reading this DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. They are not even responding to my emails.

By MAJID J.
See more answers (3)

The monthly money is for an additional service. You can opt out of it at the time of your order. Supposedly. Check other reviews. Many of them say they were still charged after canceling the service. My best suggestion is to stay away from Chegg if at all possible.

By Red T.

Stay away from Chegg if at all possible. See other reviews on various sites, including the BBB.

By Red T.
See more answers (2)

By MAJID J.

I have the same question. I am looking for psychology tutors.

By Hate C.

The tutors especially foreign tutors(Indian) total scam, lack qualifications, lie about degrees cannot answer subjects especially science, computer science programming, math form academic, most are just cod academy posing with fake degrees, chegg does not check qualifications and many easy to catch, they copy web based answers right or wrong when they cannot waste time try to charge for extra hrs to do something expert can do in minutes, if takes you 3 hrs to explain fibonacci series or combinatorial then you are not an expert nor do you have degree/ever took course

By von w.

The books I have used did not?

By Cheryl C.

No. You simply log n a print a label and packing slip.

By Cheryl C.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Chegg staff and other customers.

Save $$ on textbooks. Rent, buy or sell your books today and get 24/7 homework help when you need it with Chegg Study and Chegg Tutors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg?

Have a question about Chegg?