Review of Chegg

Santa Clara, CA 95054
legaldept@chegg.com

peterc403
1/31/19

I used their tutoring service and it worked out pretty well for me. I needed some math help and the tutor explained me everything and I was able to complete the task myself.

ram5
1/31/19

I was a tutor with InstaEdu for years before Chegg bought them out. In August 2018, I wanted to add a new subject to my list. However, I was already maxed out at 40 subjects. I tried multiple methods to remove some subjects myself, before I finally decided to contact Chegg about the issue in September.

Now, 4 emails and 1 phone call later, they have done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue, instead responding to every single one of my correspondences with a slightly different paraphrasing of "We're sorry about the issue and your frustration. We have no timeline to fix it. Our team is aware. Let us know if you have any further questions."

To anyone thinking of tutoring online through Chegg, please reconsider and take your valuable brains elsewhere. To those considering receiving tutoring through Chegg, please be aware that the tutors are treated horrendously.

mariaz49
1/11/19

I paid for my daughter's books over a year ago. This year she paid for her books herself and didn't send them back in time so they charged her. When she didn't have enough money in her account they charged my card from over a year ago. I never gave permission for this and my card number that they had on file for me has since expired but they found a way to use it anyway. When I called them they explained that they NEVER take a card number off of an account. They will deactivate my card but if this happens to my daughter next year guess what THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN. My only option is to call my bank and cancel the card all together. What a complete illegal racket.

ashleyl188
10/1/18

I ordered a textbook from Chegg and they sent me an empty package. Then, they sent me a textbook on CD which was not what I ordered. When I called to resolve the issues, they told me that I ordered the wrong thing and that they didn't make a mistake, which was not true. I asked for a refund and customer service said they'd send me a pre-paid shipping label. It was never sent. I followed up and received nothing but attitude from the customer service agent telling me I was outside the 21 day policy because of their mistake. He said I could still get a refund (thankfully!) but that I had to pay for shipping and tracking - ridiculous. He also said Chegg did not make a mistake (true, they made THREE). I am furious and will file this as fraud if I do not receive my refund back. Horrible, horrible customer service. I will NEVER buy another book from Chegg again. AVOID!!!

kristenh74
8/30/18

My husband died last year. He had a Chegg subscription I didn't know about. I confess I should have investigated sooner, but subscription companies have a corresponding responsibility to stop a subscription when there has been no activity on an account for a period of time. His last semester ended May 2017. I checked my husband's email and there was no notice of any reoccurring charges. I finally got a rep from the company. They refunded the last 3 months but couldn't do anything for the other year we were charged where there was literally no account activity. They owe me $180 + interest. $#*! Chegg.

denised177
8/23/18

I rented a book from Chegg and forgot to return it on time and was charged an extension fee and a $70 replacement fee. I was told that because I did not contact Chegg before 7 days of billing I would not receive a refund of my replacement costs.!. Credit cards do not post in 7 days in order to realize I was billed! They said they would buy my book for $28!!! What a joke! Word of advice when renting text books, Amazon gives their customers the courtesy of refunding full replacement costs!!!! Id never use Chegg again!!!!!

js460
8/7/18

I have rented books through Chegg when I started my undergraduate degree and it was a good experience. However, now the solutions part of the website has turned into a cheat fest. I would be able to get copies of all of my graduate assignments if I wanted to. Copy and paste a question from on online test and you will likely find the answer on here. It's kind of crazy, and I think it's definitely being misused.

belindam46
7/12/18

I have never had an issue with buying or selling back to Chegg. I will continue using their services.

jenh79
7/2/18

I just purchased to be a member for Chegg
complete WASTE OF MONEY!!
I sent in my questions for my test, every single one of them were wrong. I failed my test!
I am canceling my member
They don't even deserve one star

kayk53
6/2/18

this is my first review ever.
I urgently needed an answer to a set of uni questions, a search on google brings up Chegg who claims they have the solutions, I should sign up to access. with hesitation but needing the answers I signed hopefully. all the answers to the questions were totally wrong, substandard is too much of a respectful word to use. out of 4 questions none was answered even with a junior high school's intelligence.
I don't know about their other services but I feel so scammed!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattw171
5/22/18

One star because I cannot give zero.

Rented a book for a year for my daughter's AP class, at the end instead of having a reasonable buy out they charged an extraordinary amount. Do yourself a favor and buy from Amazon and then sell the book to the next class. I spent 200% more than I should have by using this service. Just terrible.

apples5
4/4/18

I rented a book in September 2017 sent it back in December before the due date they charged me a late fee. I called costumer service a teller said it was their mistake I received a refund of 12.00 . In February 2018 the charged me 192.00 I cancelled my bank card i never received a refund. It's April they chegg once again charged me 192.00 I don't know how they received my new debit card number. I'm going to have to deal with this once again.

xavierc22
3/27/18

By January I sent my book to this company knowing by email confirmation I would receive my check in the mail 15 days later. It turned out I nearly waited almost two-and-a-half months later; their excuse my book was, "suspected" that it may have "been a fraudulent copy." If I had not contacted them by email in complaint about their delay, I would not have known about the fraudulent copy reply. Why wait to email me a notice about something that could've been serious AFTER I contacted? I JUST received my check in the mail today - 3/27/2018. I don't want to sound like a whining brat, but Chegg has to do better to inform your customers on the issues at hand! You can lose customers, and frankly you just lost one - me!

cm248
3/21/18

I failed the test, would have done better different resource - don't waste your money...I went back and forth and regret spending the money. Total waste

iamsupermanm
3/13/18

In my first month of purchase I searched 15 questions whose answers were exact copy of the solution manual. Chegg dont save your money. You have to save your money from chegg. Scam.

andya61
1/19/18

I was always hearing about this website during my time in college, didn't actually attempt to use it until now. It seemed too good to be true that my required books could be that cheap, truth is it probably is. At first my order had like $20 of shipping added onto it, when I saw they had a promo code for free shipping. I cancelled my order so I could try to get free shipping, and it took 3 full days for the initial charge to be refunded. It wasn't even the actual order charge, it was like a preliminary test charge, which most places would only do like a $1 if such a test was necessary. When I was trying to redo my order after getting the money refunded, it kept saying it was declined, like I didn't have enough money in my account, except I did. I guess that was a stroke of luck though because that's when I started searching and found all the negative reviews. I'd consider myself lucky for not getting far enough into it to lose a significant amount of money, as I surely would have. Besides, I found all my required textbooks on Amazon for $30 cheaper in total than Cheggs, so no it's not actually the best resource for affordable textbooks either.

laurenm128
1/19/18

I mailed them books to sell back in December. I knew it would take up 10 business days to get the money I would receive back. After a week and a half passed from 10th business day I reached out to the company. I was told that "there's holiday's in between so you have to count those, it should be there tomorrow". Well duh, I did count the holidays but okay whatever, I can wait one more day. Well three days pass and still no check in my mailbox. I sent an email and got no response. I call the next day and they tell me "oh, there's a note in the system that says there's a delay in getting the check out to you. It should go out tomorrow and you'll get the check in 10 business days." At this point I am furious. No one thought to send me an email updating me on what's been going on? It's been almost a month and half and I have no money...they got their products but I have nothing to show for it. This is a horrible way to do business. I will never be selling any more books to the company. Luckily, my life did not depend on this check otherwise I would've been dead.

wendys139
12/26/17

Rented textbooks from them several times. No issues. Fast shipping and great customer service. Always received exactly what was ordered usually in less than a week.

ad8534
11/27/17

In good faith I sent in two books for sale in mid-August, it is now late November, and I have neither heard any updates about my books or received payment. I just called customer service and the rep. states the books were in unsatisfactory condition which was not true when sent them in (engineering CAD books by the way). I asked for them back and she said it would be 15 business days to "try" and return them. This leads me to believe that they are already in circulation and making a profit for chegg. Furthermore, I have rented books from chegg and the quality is normally pretty worn, the books I sent were nowhere near that level of quality.

I am very unsatisfied with this level of professionalism and do not recommend this to others. At this point, I'm looking forward to collecting on their damages.

Tip for consumers: Be cautious.

anak31
11/14/17

Congratulations on checking out their reviews! Something I should have done. Dont bother with utilizing their tutoring services; their tutors profiles are total exaggerations: expertise in calculus, physics, computer science, you name it. They wouldnt be tutoring if they can get a proper job. Their profile is to draw you in to sign up for tutoring services which requires you to enter your credit card only to find out all the tutors are useless. Everyone said they do not know the answer to take on the case, yet one of the charged my credit card. Then they automatically enrolled me into their monthly subscription service even though I dont use their materials. Their customer service reps are used to getting requests for refunds. Their script goes something like we can only refund the prorated rate of this month, unfortunately i dont know what happened, we dont have records of activities. I am in the middle of filing a complaint with the BBB. What an unethical business model aimed at students.

emilyw106
11/14/17

College costs enough. We spend thousands of dollars a year to get an education, and when subpar professors can't teach us the material, we turn to the internet. We shouldn't be expected to pay more. It shouldn't be this dang hard to get help in figuring out how to do homework problems. Thanks for absolutely nothing.

alexisr49
11/9/17

Today, November 9, 2017, I find out from my mother that Chegg charged her credit card $16 this month and she assumes I ordered a book. I have not ordered a book, so I asked her to open her statement so we could find out if this was a monthly charge. Found out it was and has been occurring since February. I called to find out what it was and to stop it, and was told it was a tutor service that apparently I signed up for when I ordered books in January. I didn't know I had signed up for this and have never used it so I asked for a refund. I was told all they could refund was 3 months, the previous 7 months were not refundable. I asked to speak with this person's manager and was told he didn't have a manager. He was as high up as the ladder went and there was nobody else to deal with. I told him that I would be reporting negatively about Chegg and that they had lost a customer!

gertrudep5
10/7/17

I'm giving Chegg one star because half a star is not available. I bought a book, they sent me the wrong book. I informed them of the issue, they supposedly sent me back the right book. I did this 6 times, so I have 6 wrong books. I called to complain and found out they charged me for all 6 books that they won't refund me for. These people are useless, don't waste your time. Go to Amazon. F@%$ Chegg.

layn6
9/29/17

I SOLD THEM TWO BOOKS IN ALMOST BRAND NEW CONDITION. THEY DID NOT UPDATE THE ORDER INFORMATION NOR SENT ME AN EMAIL REGARDING THE ORDER. I CONTACTED THEM AFTER 15 DAYS OF DELIVERED DATE AND THE AGENT TOLD ME THAT THE BOOKS WERE CHECKED IN AS POOR CONDITION and they KEPT THE BOOKS!!! I lost my F$cking money, it's better to trade-in to Amazon instead!

melaniez3
9/28/17

The positive reviews are Chegg attempting to increase their ratings. These folks are crooks. It's ok though, I WILL get my money back.

They only get a one because that is as low as I can go.

I have the same question. I am looking for psychology tutors.

By Hate C.

the tutors especially foreign tutors(Indian) total scam, lack qualifications, lie about degrees cannot answer subjects especially science, computer science programming, math form academic, most are just cod academy posing with fake degrees, chegg does not check qualifications and many easy to catch , they copy web based answers right or wrong when they cannot waste time try to charge for extra hrs to do something expert can do in minutes, if takes you 3 hrs to explain fibonacci series or combinatorial then you are not an expert nor do you have degree/ever took course

By von w.

I have never used ecampus book rental service, so I cannot answer this question. I have used Chegg multiples times and only had 1 problem which Chegg resolved.

By Cheryl C.

The books I have used did not?

By Cheryl C.

No. You simply log n a print a label and packing slip.

By Cheryl C.

Questions? Get answers from the Chegg staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Chegg