Chegg

Chegg has a consumer rating of 1.68 stars from 200 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Chegg also ranks 41st among Textbooks sites. The most common issues with Chegg are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 1.6%

• After waiting for 2 weeks, there was no evidence that UPS (or Chegg) received them.
  • I called customer support and the man I spoke with was so nice and helpful!

• I asked for a refund and customer service said they'd send me a pre-paid shipping label.
  • However, once you pay your money you do not get no answers just the same questions in your book.
How would you rate Chegg?

“Best experience with 365 Data science”

smriti a.
4/19/20

365 Data Science program is like a boon for every student who wants to develop his/ her skills and best for those who want to start a career in data science. Even if a person don't know how to implement simple maths formulas in Excel then they have designed a very perfect course structure for the basic Excel and when the person gain knowledge and build his basics, they have advance excel course which contains all the tips and tricks as well. The teaching assistance is very dedicated and ready to support 24x7. They have covered all the required skills for data science like Python, R, SQL, Tableau and even if a person is weak in Maths, Statistics, Probability they have designed their very amazing lectures for these basics so that student can be comfortable when he learns the programming skills and also they have designed SQL+Tableau, SQL+Python so that student can correlated these programming language and understand the difference between different languages very well.

“Totally waste of money & time”

MA A.
4/6/20

I always get at least 3 of my questions unsolved or solved in the wrong way. This issue has happened several times in my recent subscriptions and i tend to find the answers using similar websites like Chegg. I tried to contact Chegg through their e-mail but there's no response. Moreover, whenever i tend to give a low rated answer, someone will negotiate me until i prove them wrong. I have attached screenshots of some of my closed questions & wrong answers for evidence (one of them has not been answered since 11/23/2019). It has become a waste of money & time.

customer service (46) book (100) account (50) 48 hours (9) credit card (13) 2 weeks (6) 3 months (7) question (35) college students (4) time (70) school bookstore (3) order (38)
maa17
April 6th, 2020
sharc3
May 26th, 2020
These people try to pull nine different transactions from my credit card and banking information. I've never heard from these people again I put a stop on the card I also put a claim out on getting at least three of the actual authorized purchases. I also called corporate which there was no answer and I had to leave a message. Complete POS. Make your own money!
corb1
April 7th, 2020
These people steal your money. When an unknown transaction is debited from my account by Chegg.com they cannot find the order, amount, or transaction in their records to verify and refund. They are not interested to help you and will rather keep your money for no reason.

Tip for consumers: Stay away!

abdia7
April 28th, 2020
I have been chegg customer for long time and they do not value at all their clients. If you log in into different computers, they automacally suspend your account. No one, you can talk to your issue. You have to wait three days to get respond. They know, it is computer error. I talked to one of their representative, they could not dare to answer my questions. They are so rude. Do not ever call them, they won't help you at all. It is wasting time.
mariac905
May 30th, 2020
My daughter got locked into a subscription without knowing, and when I tried to retrieve 9 months worth of unused membership, they only refunded 3 months. I asked if my daughter could at least have a couple of months to use it free, since she did not take advantage of all those months we paid for... and I was told "no" and "have a great day".
I gave a one star because I did not have the option of giving NO stars.
ellek11
January 29th, 2020
I returned my textbook under my extension date, but was recently charged for my textbook claiming of no knowledge of my shipment. Despite sending me a confirmation email saying how ups notified them saying the shipment was on it's way. I am very distraught and going through a family emergency at the same time, and I just wish to resolve this but customer service has ignored me for an hour so now I am sharing my experience.
joys220
May 11th, 2020
Was told my question would be answered "sooner or later" and provide info. I do and they delete it for breach of some sort. Total disappointment. Tried numerous times to get refund but could never get through. They debit me AGAIN today... but after an hour I finally got thru and overall the lady was kind and is refunding my money. So the one star is for you Miss Customer Service Lady
brittanyt96
April 13th, 2020
This had the potential to be worth the money but in the end wasn't. I wanted the Chegg subscription for the tutoring and the 20 questions every billing cycle. Every time I signed in either from my phone or work computer, my account kept getting flagged or suspended. They insisted I needed to get my own subscription or assumed I had given my login information to someone else. I ended up spending more time with my account suspended that I did using it. Overall, this is not a good platform for additional help.
anesg
April 20th, 2020
Today i am unsubscribing from chegg. Tomorrow i have an exam and i am using it to prepare myself and i received an Email that it is suspended for 48 hours. I called them but they gave me the bul**t of "as much as we would like to help but blah blah". Anyways $15/month for a lot of wrong solutions in engineering i am not sure if it worth the money anymore.
cc596
August 18th, 2020
I started my chegg account in 2017, I kept it open and closed on and off until April 2020.
In 2019 I started getting duplicate charges every month to a credit card I don't look at the statements. I found this out in April when I went and looked at the statement.
Turned out SOMEHOW a duplicate account was made of mine missing just ONE letter of the email. $250 of charges that chegg will NOT refund. I did not create this account, I have had the same account open from 2017.
This is insane!
mirandab71
April 28th, 2020
Chegg decided to deactivate my account while I was in the middle of taking a final exam. Don't waste your money on them. It's too expensive and not worth the hassle. Their customer service is even worse.
nicka190
March 11th, 2020
I have found 27 different solutions for the same problem and they are ALL wrong! This isn't the first time either! Total waste of money!
rj296
May 14th, 2020
Chegg is a giant waste of money. They do not offer a 30-day free trial as advertised so don't count on using that.
christianar7
September 6th, 2020
I ordered 4 textbooks in hopes of receiving them the first week of school. I ordered the books August 22nd. It is now September 6th and the books are still "pending shipping". I attempted to cancel the order 4 times already and have not received an email or any other indication saying that I will be refunded the money I spent on the textbooks. I am so disappointed and worried about how I will catch up with my school work without my materials. STAY AWAY FROM CHEGG PLEASE
binarar
May 7th, 2020
Chegg suspended my account twice within a week saying that im violating their terms by exceeding the number of users. But im damn sure that im the only person on earth had its username and password and i haven't shared it with others. But the both times they suspended the account while i was at sleep. First time they managed to solve the issue. But the second time they said they cant help me to get my account. I have two assignments due on the day they suspended the account and they didn't even care about that. So poor customer service. I won't recommend this kind of money minded site
fredd120
April 30th, 2020
Rented a book, and I had no problem with that or returning it. However, after I rented the book they said I qualified for free online solutions. Great!
Well, it wasn't free, it was $15/month and perpetual. My wife didn't notice the charges (she pays that bill) and I didn't until 5 months after I finished the course and returned the book. All told I spent $150 on this "service" that I never used in addition to the book,
Not worth the aggravation.
dylandw
March 10th, 2020
The majority of the issues written upon in these reviews are a real thing. This is literally a racket they have going on. No customer service to speak of and I couldn't believe my eyes when I got locked out of my account for 48 hours... more than once. It's like once my card information was in their database they packed up and left town in the middle of the night. I figured those people in the reviews were anomalies. Spend your money elsewhere; you work hard for it, these people clearly don't, nor do they value anything but your money.
kellir75
September 22nd, 2020
Do not use this company! My daughter rented books from Chegg and when the books were not returned they charged my credit card over $800. When I called I was told they tried to charge her card (the card used to rent the books) but there was not enough funds on hers so they charged mine. My card was on file from a transaction from years prior and they were told numerous times to remove it. Still fighting this with them and my credit card company 3 months later!
adams728
January 24th, 2020
Kids don't want to learn, they want answers. They will keep asking the same questions until a hungry tutor just gives them the answer. The playing field is highly competitive and chegg does nothing to police it. They will run background checks and contact admin offices nonstop to verify the tutor yet do nothing to control the behavior that is essentially high priced cheating.
smritia4
April 19th, 2020
cameront49
February 29th, 2020
They will constantly lock you out of your account for 48 hours while your account is "under investigation", preventing you from being able to view books or study solutions, on the pretense that you have been sharing your account with others. I have never done this, but they will lock you out of your account and steal your money, on top of preventing you from seeing the content that you paid good money for.
danb695
May 7th, 2020
The customer service are non sense and not well trained to handle any issue. Chegg steals your money for a cheap service.
johnr2548
July 14th, 2020
It's a scam... can end your subscription whenever it wants and run away with your money. Chegg support gets even worse
oliviah118
April 27th, 2020
While it does have helpful answers, it is not worth the trouble! I have been suspended before and this morning my account was deactivated because I had chegg open on my laptop and accidentally opened it on my phone. They assumed I was sharing my account and did not give me any kind of chance to redeem my account or tell them what happened. Ridiculous! If I am on chegg for a while for homework or studying, they will make me reset my password because my account usage is too high. They have no business being that strict on their website. I could keep on ranting about how aggravating it is but you probably get the point. I can see other reviews feel the same way I do. Not worth the money and frustration.
pardeepk13
April 2nd, 2020
Hlooo sir why you take my money every month i unsubscribe my order so many times what is thiss you take charge every month from my acount i had already deactivated this service 2 months ago pls tell me as soon as possible and why you dont reply of my emails. Its very bad

Half real half scam wil work for a day or 2 then lock you out

By nicholas n.
See more answers (4)

The monthly money is for an additional service. You can opt out of it at the time of your order. Supposedly. Check other reviews. Many of them say they were still charged after canceling the service. My best suggestion is to stay away from Chegg if at all possible.

By Red T.

Stay away from Chegg if at all possible. See other reviews on various sites, including the BBB.

By Red T.
See more answers (2)

1st experience and it will be the last one with this company. This could be my fault doing business again with Chegg but never again am I going to them. Their algorithms for detecting multiple users on an account are so backwards. When I spoke with them they told me there's no record showing you are shared your account and your account is active but they lied. If you work and study on your work computers you'll have to reset your password every 4 seconds. If you use library or lab computers you'll also have to reset your password, because Chegg thinks you're account sharing. If you use a VPN you'll be blocked from accessing the site. Finally, if you complain about any of it you'll have your Chegg account deleted with no refund. They also get sneaky about billing you extra too. Also Using Chegg is a risk to your academic career, your school can contact Chegg at any time and get exactly what you accessed and looked at and time you're on. Basically if you use anything other than buying books, you can get in trouble for cheating. Chegg will throw you under the bus. Their customer service lady was rude and kept talking to me like I was wasting her time when I kept telling her why my account suspended. Chegg doesn't care! Once they got your money their opinion is, "Tough luck suckers! We just got at least one month of fees out of you. More if you don't take the hours to unsubscribe." Joke site! Enter at your own risk, some people like to learn the hard way. Chegg is like a really small scam. They provide tutorial but they just steal your money even after you stopped the contract. If anyone Is reading this DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. They are not even responding to my emails.

By MAJID J.

I have the same question. I am looking for psychology tutors.

By Hate C.

The tutors especially foreign tutors(Indian) total scam, lack qualifications, lie about degrees cannot answer subjects especially science, computer science programming, math form academic, most are just cod academy posing with fake degrees, chegg does not check qualifications and many easy to catch, they copy web based answers right or wrong when they cannot waste time try to charge for extra hrs to do something expert can do in minutes, if takes you 3 hrs to explain fibonacci series or combinatorial then you are not an expert nor do you have degree/ever took course

By von w.

The books I have used did not?

By Cheryl C.

No. You simply log n a print a label and packing slip.

By Cheryl C.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Chegg staff and other customers.

Save $$ on textbooks. Rent, buy or sell your books today and get 24/7 homework help when you need it with Chegg Study and Chegg Tutors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.7
Have a question about Chegg?