Review of Chegg

Santa Clara, CA 95054
legaldept@chegg.com

cergerr
12/8/19
They are forcing me to purchase a new subscription yet my recent subscription has not lasted a week. They say I violated their terms by sharing my account with other users yet the only thing is I did logged in to my account using a pc at my iPhone and my Ipad since I'm always on the move but their customer support doesn't reply and I don't get any help on top of that they still charge my card twice in a period of 1 week and I think if I hadn't canceled my card they would have charged it again. I feel scammed and robbed
jennyf104
12/5/19
the platform offers many different services but I only used the subscription based. I think I got like 15 questions free which I used only for writing but it looks like they don't give writing services like papers and what not, only an answer to a question.
elliotl28
11/25/19
If the question requires a bit of thought it won't be answered. If you have a couple of pictures to explain, it won't be answered. They wait till the question is closed which takes 48 hours and they write need more data.
makaylas3
11/21/19
I seriously don't understand Chegg's mind. Recently I've had to reset my password sooooo many times. At least ten times just this month. I use my computer to access my online textbooks since it's annoying reading the textbooks on my phone. I use my phone for the Chegg Study app. Sometimes I use my phone but I look up problems on Safari. This was never a problem until a few months ago. Apparently they think MULTIPLE people are using your account if you access it from more than ONE device. That means you can only use it on your computer and NOTHING ELSE if you don't want to reset your password. Today I got an email saying MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN LOCKED due to multiple people accessing it. HOW?!? I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH ACCESS TO IT! WHY WOULD I PAY $15.94 A MONTH TO SHARE?! I hit Chegg up on Twitter and they replied with a message saying the exact same thing in the email about my account being suspended for 48 hours while they make a decision on whether or not to permanently delete it. This is ridiculous and it seems like other people on here are experiencing the same thing. I asked Chegg if they could refund me then because it makes no sense to pay for something and YOU'RE RESTRICTED FROM USING IT!! Of course, they said there's nothing they can do about it until a decision is made. If it's not this, it's the "experts" on Chegg giving you incorrect answers to your questions or saying your image is unclear when it's not, just so they don't have to answer it. Chegg used to be so useful but now it's nothing but a headache all for $15.94 a month. Disappointing. To the Chegg representatives that will respond to this: No I'm not emailing you just to get the same response. Work on letting your customers use Chegg on any device that works for them at the moment.
mujtabar1
11/16/19
They do not provide refunds, even if they delete your account based on false allegations, which they absolutely do, just read the other reviews or check out their Facebook page, or better business bureau reviews and complaints page
mikeb1141
11/14/19
This company has the worst customer service. My account got locked because their primitive user share detection system just checks if you log in from multiple locations and then just blocks you. Prior to that, it was always asking me to reset my password to the point where I started forgetting what the new password was. They took my money, locked me out, and don't even respond to emails. If you call the customer service number they cant help you with anything and just tell you to email account management that does not get back to you. My account was never shared with anyone... Charge back time.
mohammadr39
11/11/19
Chegg staff haven't responded to my emails in over 2 weeks. They sold my data to third parties. They told me to email account support and I did so on October 27. Very shady company that lies.
ghosts4
11/11/19
This website has ZERO privacy level.
If the school asked them about any user who put a question from one of their exams, assignments .. etc. Chegg.com share with the school your email, history in Chegg.com and even your private chats with tutors.

this year, many students got warnings, some of them kisked out of the school, just because they published assignment questions in Chegg, and their school showed them a full chatting log, the chat where they asked a tutor to teach them how to solve a question.
Chegg.com won't provide all these private info for free, I think they charge money for this level of what I call it, SPYING.

This happened with me personally where I got a message from the college investigating with me about an exam question publiched to Chegg. The weired thing here is that I am registered in Chegg.com with a new email the college doesn't know. The only place I said my real name was in the chatting with a tutor.

In short, Chegg.com will sell, or provide all your private data to however pay, or ask them to do.

Keep yourself away of this website.
majidj2
10/30/19
1st experience and it will be the last one with this company. This could be my fault doing business again with Chegg but never again am I going to them. Their algorithms for detecting multiple users on an account are so backwards. When I spoke with them they told me there's no record showing you are shared your account and your account is active but they lied. If you work and study on your work computers you'll have to reset your password every 4 seconds. If you use library or lab computers you'll also have to reset your password, because Chegg thinks you're account sharing. If you use a VPN you'll be blocked from accessing the site. Finally, if you complain about any of it you'll have your Chegg account deleted with no refund. They also get sneaky about billing you extra too. Also Using Chegg is a risk to your academic career, your school can contact Chegg at any time and get exactly what you accessed and looked at and time you're on. Basically if you use anything other than buying books, you can get in trouble for cheating. Chegg will throw you under the bus. Their customer service lady was rude and kept talking to me like I was wasting her time when I kept telling her why my account suspended. Chegg doesn't care! Once they got your money their opinion is, "Tough luck suckers!! We just got at least one month of fees out of you. More if you don't take the hours to unsubscribe." Joke site! Enter at your own risk, some people like to learn the hard way. Chegg is like a really small scam. They provide tutorial but they just steal your money even after you stopped the contract. If anyone Is reading this DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. They are not even responding to my emails.
andrear277
10/15/19
Came here to buy textbooks and tutoring. I am never doing that again. Amazon has better deals on used textbooks and rentals. And their tutors aren't that informative either. My tutor literally just solved my problem for me and didn't explain anything.
bellec7
9/9/19
I've only ordered, and actually recommend Chegg to people on Facebook who post where they can find textbooks.
ediet5
9/5/19
This is our first and last Chegg order and we have had multiple issues. First, they canceled one book as an "early return" before we even received it. They have no idea why it was canceled. They refunded and said I could re-order, but the price had jumped $100. I spent 45 minutes on the phone getting it straightened out, including re-ordering the book at the original price, but having to wait another three days. Second, received the teacher's edition even though I ordered the student edition. Third, false advertising. Even though the title of the book says Inquizitive, etc. is included, it is not. There is fine print that says those items are not guaranteed even though they're plainly stated as included. Now we have to pay again to get the other things we need so that my child can complete her assignments. Chegg considers these things as supplemental options, but the instructor says they are required. Fourth, every box contains a can of Red Bull "energy" drink. I realize this one is personal preference, but people are dying from those things and I do not feel it is appropriate to be pushing dangerous products to our students. To Chegg's credit, they are quick to provide discounts (up to 80%) and refunds, but the time, hassle, and frustration, and disappointment are not worth it.

Tip for consumers: My tip for using Chegg is simple ... don't.

dakotaf6
9/3/19
Bought a bundle package for a textbook and internet package that they advertised. Instead I received the book plus another ebook. After they admitted their system had an error they still refused to give me what I paid for and instead refunded me a portion of what I was charged and then I had to pay almost triple the original cost to get the internet part of my bundle. I used to like this company but it seems they don't mind ripping off college students.
maryf480
8/27/19
I never purchased anything or rented anything with them. Never heard of them before. Somehow they got my CC info and have made almost 10 charges to my CC in less than a week. A TOTAL SCAM!
tinah99
8/13/19
I was charged 14.95 via paypal with an email notification then mysteriously charged an additional 1.44 from paypal with no email notification. The "help" I received with non applicable to my situation and I was given one page of somebody's scribbled, illegible notes on a piece of lined paper. I requested a refund and was refunded the 1.44 and sent an email that the 14.95 was refunded when it wasn't. I have wasted my time having to file complaints with paypal. Chegg has no managers and they repeatedly put you through to the same belligerent group of people who waste your time. They cannot explain why they charged the 1.44 and didn't refund the 14.95. Turn and run from these con artists.
pavlaf1
7/17/19
I've used chegg a few times for homework help and the quality was okay. Not really worth the trouble but sometimes you find good content.
stephaniec548
7/16/19
An answer to a question about my historical research on the family was totally wrong. A student who used their answer would flunk the course.
frankier26
6/20/19
My books were due but I wasnt finished using them until the last day of my due date. So I sent them after. Chegg charged me 2xs the amount the books were worth brand new from the book store on campus! I called the customer service and told them I had already sent the books out and they told me I'll get a refund when they actually get my books. Which can literally be any where from tomorrow to next week. So I'm out $400 until whenever they get the books. Then the customer service woman said if I didnt like it she could just disconnect the call. Excuse me?? Do not use chegg they are a scam!
minjings
6/13/19
We did our very first textbook rental and this will be our last time to rent or buy from Chegg.com

On website and shipping slip, stated it would come with online access code(VISTAS 5E SE+SSPLUS VTXT), but no code upon receiving the book, so it made the rental useless, called the customer service, I was told online access code was not guarantee regardless what description on its website and shipping slip, really misleading, almost like scam, return the book right way, hopefully we can get full refund, never deal with Chegg.com again, absolutely not recommended, do not waste your time, go somewhere else even Chegg has a better price, because Chegg better price is worse than nothing

Chegg, is not a smarter way to student, it is deceptive way to student
jhoannaj
5/9/19
I purchased a book and got signed up for some service I did not need or authorized and I have been charge for over two years $16+ dollars. Do not buy from this company. Books are the same price as other companies and they do not sign you up for services you do not need or want.
Horrible company
shivamm4
4/5/19
It is all about Subject Matter Expert Coordinators. They are greedy and don't perform their duty honestly and correctly.Coordinators at Chegg never reply to Experts's question either in official Whatsapp group or via mail. The coordinators at Chegg are making students' and experts' experiences worst and it will cause loss directly to whole chegg community.One of the worst example of coordinators lazyness is they review expert answers and score it 0 without reading what is being asked in question. Experts need to remind them to read whole question and then score correctly.Chegg websites also fail sometimes to meet user expectation. After solving student question for 1.5 hours, at the time of submit the site respond that you have skip this question even when the question is never skipped and answer clock is ticking.
gg125
3/30/19
When you think you finally found an answer, guess what, NO because its chegg and you need to pay for information. Like students don't have enough problems as it is. Thanks for nothing.
jasmineleighp
3/6/19
I used chegg consistently for 2 years. I had a few minor problems here & there, my account being locked, numerous unanswered questions, lack of communication between me & Chegg representatives. I canceled my subscription upon graduation in December 2017. In balancing my checkbook, I realize that Chegg had been withdrawing money from my debit account for an additional 14 months. I called and begged for a refund as my account had not been used for 14 months. The Chegg representative verified that my account had not been in use. She still refused to issue me a full refund. I have experienced a $210 loss behind Chegg. I spoke with Supervisors at Chegg & they actually asked me to provide a recorded conversation of me canceling my subscription. Who has a recorded line on their personal phone? I did not know I needed a recorded line on my personal phone to be able to fight off FRAUDULENT behavior. I simply asked her, "when I call why do the representatives tell me that I will be on a recorded line if there's no recorded line?" She gave me no response. I will be going to grad school for Mathematics come August 2019. I WILL NOT BE USING CHEGG. ANY OF MY COLLEAGUES USING CHEGG I WILL ENCOURAGE THEM TO CANCEL THEIR SUBSCRIPTION IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE IT COULD TURN FRAUDULENT. FIND ANOTHER PROGRAM.
peterc403
1/31/19
I used their tutoring service and it worked out pretty well for me. I needed some math help and the tutor explained me everything and I was able to complete the task myself.
ram5
1/31/19
I was a tutor with InstaEdu for years before Chegg bought them out. In August 2018, I wanted to add a new subject to my list. However, I was already maxed out at 40 subjects. I tried multiple methods to remove some subjects myself, before I finally decided to contact Chegg about the issue in September.

Now, 4 emails and 1 phone call later, they have done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue, instead responding to every single one of my correspondences with a slightly different paraphrasing of "We're sorry about the issue and your frustration. We have no timeline to fix it. Our team is aware. Let us know if you have any further questions."

To anyone thinking of tutoring online through Chegg, please reconsider and take your valuable brains elsewhere. To those considering receiving tutoring through Chegg, please be aware that the tutors are treated horrendously.

Stay away from Chegg if at all possible. See other reviews on various sites, including the BBB.

By Red T.

By MAJID J.

By MAJID J.

I have the same question. I am looking for psychology tutors.

By Hate C.

The monthly money is for an additional service. You can opt out of it at the time of your order. Supposedly. Check other reviews. Many of them say they were still charged after canceling the service. My best suggestion is to stay away from Chegg if at all possible.

By Red T.

the tutors especially foreign tutors(Indian) total scam, lack qualifications, lie about degrees cannot answer subjects especially science, computer science programming, math form academic, most are just cod academy posing with fake degrees, chegg does not check qualifications and many easy to catch , they copy web based answers right or wrong when they cannot waste time try to charge for extra hrs to do something expert can do in minutes, if takes you 3 hrs to explain fibonacci series or combinatorial then you are not an expert nor do you have degree/ever took course

By von w.

The books I have used did not?

By Cheryl C.

No. You simply log n a print a label and packing slip.

By Cheryl C.

Questions? Get answers from the Chegg staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Chegg