Review of Wix

22%
2601 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA
Tel: 1465487705
Everything you need to create a stunning website!

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

alonas1
3/29/17

I tried out a trial of Wix. Since it's a yearly renewal and a lot of things happen in a year, I forgot about the automatic renewal. Most companies send a courtesy email before charging your account - not Wix. And it's not like a $20 charge. It's hundreds of dollars.

Sure, you can dispute it with your bank and they'll send the charge back.

But WIX will dispute the chargeback (they're sure to send you an email about the charge back and how you need to update your card information - so they are capable of emailing you).

So, even if you don't use the site at all, they still charge you and dispute chargebacks (never seen another company do this shady nonsense). Most products, if you don't use the service or product, you can return it. But apparently WIX thinks they should be able to charge you for nothing.

And really, even if I were using their product, it's extremely over priced. Several hundred dollars and there are much better sites out there. Their customer service is terrible too (not just about charges, but in general).

lisah271
3/28/17

terrible platform.... wish I'd had more info before I purchased it.. terrible customer support - links that circle back, no real support and a fake phone number that sends you back to the same link... crazy... call back service is shut down until further notice, no way to submit support ticket.... are they going under, or just scamming people?

martaw4
3/24/17

I have a problem with Wix sporadically freezing when I try to save a publish my product. This only happens on Wix on my computer and it happens infrequently enough that I forget to be hyper-villigent about saving every few sentences.
I sent in a ticket and I got a random response that indicated that only a keyword was observed which makes me feel like a robot answered the question. I tried to call the customer support center but random hours mean that they leave on Fridays at some ungodly early hour not matter what your time zone might be. Do go there.

ik303
3/23/17

Wix USED to have a great team, quick, professional and efficient. Now I cannot even contact them. The number either doesn't work or if I got lucky to have it ring, I got a message that the office is closed during their limited business hours (Monday-Thursday). It's been weeks that I've been trying to get in touch with them to no avail. Their site is full of angry people complaining, pleading for a call back.

tonyw83
3/18/17

Hi my name is Dave I'm a retired engineer from Google well I am going to keep this letter sweet and short.

Before I left Google I grab the stack of paperwork with information of  companies that Google is going to start red flagging off  there network.

Such as Weebly, Wix, CreateSpace and tons more of these types of  websites .

See Google believes in content and if the website can't  produce great content then Google and all of the other search engines plan on getting rid of them.

In fact as a chief engineer at Google this was one of my jobs to get rid of poorly made  websites like yours.

Oh I didn't mean it like that I'm so sorry but you must admit having a website with another company's brand on it must be hindering your business.

But not anymore your website don't have to suck you can compete with some of the biggest companies out there I have went out and teamed up with a great third-party Google company called big city Marketing Group

And they have agreed to start a special program just for these websites for as little as $499.00 you could have a great website a professionally made website and SEO by me Dave the Google engineer.

Our service is backed by a 100% 30 day guarantee. Get more customers make more money bottom line see the link  below check out our packages

Here's to your success
Dave senior engineer Google

yvonnef13
3/15/17

This is the first time I've ever written a review of any sort. I was gifted a domain name purchased through 1&1 internet. I created a landing page for my site and worked with 1&1 to transfer the domain name. I was not able to get my site up, so I requested a call back from customer service. I wait TWO hours for the call. This is after my first call to WIX when I was on hold for 45 minutes before I hung up. My site is still not up after my last call. Just requested a call back -- a pop up said that there was a problem and to try back in ten minutes. It also said the wait time for a call back is 80 minutes. I have never been so frustrated with customer service as I have been with WIX. As I have not fully developed my site yet, I might just bail. It's that bad.

gingerb11
3/13/17

I've been using wix for over 3 years now. I had great customer support and was excited to see more and more features and/or apps throughout the years. I even referred friends to wix.

Starting about a year ago, I could see an increase in glitches and a decline in customer/tech support ---- and recently it's at an all time low. You can't even find where to submit a ticket anymore. I had to go to their facebook page. I was given a link and followed all the instructions to a T, but I'm still having the same issues. One problem I've had for years is that all the elements I place on a box or strip "sticks". If I click on the box only & delete it, everything on top of it deletes even if not clicked on. I've tried two times to get help with this, but wix always states "THEY are not having any problems with it' or I just get a generic cut & paste message that has nothing to do with my issue. Now recently, the mobile editor has become increasingly glitchy. While trying to arrange or line up my elements it freezes after one to two moves and the only way to get it moving again is to switch back to desk top, then back mobile. And, elements will randomly move or bounce from top to bottom on its own. After three hours of working on this issue, I tried to reach out to tech/customer support but I could no longer find to contact section to send a ticket to support, so I went to facebook. I followed the instructions after reaching out on facebook, and waited a week for a response, and to my disappointment, I received another cut & paste message----like instructions on how to clear cache. I had already informed wix that I had already done that, but I guess they don't really read our messages carefully. I replied and explained this, but here I am another week later and still waiting. I tried everything I know to work this out because I had spent so much time on this website and hate to start again, but I have no choice now. I checked my analytics and noted a large number of my visitors come from cell phones, so I can't understand why wix is ignoring me. It appears that wix no longer feels the need to concentrate on quality care or quality control due to last years earnings at around 90 million. But, I'm so glad there are other web hosts I can use.

soniaf4
3/13/17

I've had a wix.com site for about 3 years now. Back when I got it, it was great and I had phone support. Support has gone completely downhill. Now you have to do a support ticket and it takes about 20 minutes to find that ability to even do that. SO I paid for the most premium recently as we did a wix upgrade and it messed up many things on the site and we needed help with the ecommerce site. I still cannot get thru on the phone-EVER. So the support tickets are never really read fully as each time i have sent one, and i've sent many, they do not address the real problem. Our site has published when we only saved it, they said that can't happen, so three of us tested that, easily, and it happened again. Now my problem is one that they said they cannot duplicate (they would have to go thru the payment process on the site to duplicate it I told them) and since it cannot be duplicated wix thinks it cannot happen. I want to change as the ONLY plus is ths defunct site is easy to build.

simeong12
3/11/17

Finished my website on a friday at which point the wix platform decided to delete a load of data from my site, revert a whole bunch of stuff back to previous versions that i had done and all my links in the shop that should take you to the product page come up with a message saying "wicks stores are experiencing problems, try agin later or contact us with this link".
The link takes you to a quick Q & A page, no way of contacting anyone at all, so thats a lie, finally found a phone call back system that is ridiculously complicated and oh, they don't work friday, saturday or sunday so no luck there. Then with some digging found an e-mail address: support@wix.com THIS IS NOT LISTED ANYWHERE ON THE WEBSITE AT ALL. I FOUND IT FROM AN EXTERNAL SOURCE! Am waiting for a reply, if it ever comes.
It's taken almost a day of messing around to get to this point and if the problems aren't fixed then i've wasted a week of my time.
By all accounts it seems the site is great if nothing goes wrong but when it does it's nigh on impossible to fix it as there are no ways to talk to anyone. The whole thing reeks of a massive rip off.

jaimes35
3/10/17

I felt like a sheep jumping into the abyss. About to sign up when POP. Let me see some reviews. Boom. Saved by the bell.... Thank you sitejabber

fredw67
3/9/17

I have been a WIX user for 4 years and had no problems until I needed service to help sort out a billing problem. The domain was about to expire so I contacted a rep who walked me through the process and I paid for a 2 year domain renewal. BUT the domain expired anyway, the site went down and I had to pay a $100 charge to reinstate the domain. The only service I got was 'well it looks like our system didn't put it through". Thank you WIX.

lisar214
3/6/17

How. Can. I. Possibly. Do business. When I can't. Contact you. About not. Being able. To access. My site?
WORST. COMPANY. EVER!!!!!

justinc93
2/28/17

Cannot get domain transferred and the phone number for support just sends you to another page. Have sent message to BBB to report the rip off.

thomaso28
2/24/17

No customer service Friday Saturday or Sunday...Wow what a joke.I just did a website yesterday, Thursday, cant figure out how to add my own domain, wanted my website working for something this weekend. But not with this garbage company because they won't be bothered on a Friday. Crap company------------------

kelleyk8
2/23/17

Before using this site, which, I will admit, creates beautiful websites, check through their help and support areas. Notice: No customer support phone number, no ability to quickly find a way to submit a ticket with a question, click on the customer support chat which is not working or tells you that they are closed for more than 12 hours a day.

I work on my websites on nights and weekends...I am a small business owner. This is what most small business owners say. ZERO SUPPORT during these times.

It should be easy then, to submit a support ticket.....but no, I have to click through several help articles before a tiny line at the bottom article appears asking if I'm not finding what I am looking for.

I prefer, but don't require 24/7 support. But, at least make it easy for me to submit my questions so I can get an answer within a few days.

brandenh8
2/16/17

the service is very slow they don't have phone support. They say they do but it is always closed due to high call volume. If your having a website issue they should be around to fix it ASAP these are people's businesses we are talking about. Probably the slowest customer service i have experienced in my life.

rolandog7
2/16/17

I purchased a premium plan to host my website, plus 2 gmail mailboxes. Had a lot of trouble setting up the site and could get no support, ever. Then the worst part is that the gmail mailboxes where not sincronizing as expected between devices. Learned the hard way I needed to switch to Outlook. I purchased a yearly plan and only used 1 month before I realized this was not what I needed. Wix will not refund me for the 11 months I am not using. I actually already purchased new mailboxes from Outlook, but have this expense for a Wix service I am not using. I talked to Google Support (which is nice) and they explained that If you purchase the mailboxes directly with them you CAN get a refund. So Wix is robbing customers and keeping the money. I have not been able to talk to anyone for 3 weeks. I only get robot answers. Worst of all (even worse than Wix robbing me) is that I need to change the CNAME records in my domain settings to re-configure my mailboxes to Outlook, and Wix will not let me!!! They are holding me hostage.

This is a terrible company, designed by experts in marketing to take people's money. They advertise that you don't have to be an expert to build your own site. But they will take advante of you if you are not an expert. Wix is a fraud.

pate44
2/16/17

So I have had wix for several years.... Its not a good place but it worked. Unfortunately they must have fired everyone.... If you call their main number its a recording, you also cant schedule a call for help and they don't respond to support ticket.

In summary you better know 100% what you are doing because there is no help from wix accept on how to pay them

razb2
2/16/17

i have been trying to get in touch with this company for the last 2 weeks with no joy. I have spent money with these idiots and now they do not seem to care. I will be taking the appropriate action against them

rickw61
2/15/17

Wix is terrible. As bad as Sitebuilder (who we dropped last year). They offer no clear way to contact them in any reasonably timely fashion. Their plans are totally confusing and don't actually give you what you're offered (like free Premium apps). My advice, is stay away. You'll spend a lot of time setting up your websites and then you're stuck, with a crappy service provider that you can't speak to or get any help whatsoever with.

manus14
2/10/17

No doubt you can create a great website with it, but the start is really hard. Their plans are really complicated and not easy to switch. I started out with a plan that allows for bookings and then later realised that I need another one to accept payments. I wasted 1 day trying to figure out how this was done and how to raise a ticket. They make it impossible (try googling wix support email and you wont get anything!!). Finally somehow managed to do it and they gave a really complicated solution which meant paying for another premium plan. But now this plan wont connect to my domain. And again trying to raise another ticket, I have spent over 2 hours. This is time I should be spending on my business.

Their support sux for a premium plan holder... go somewhere else.

julies155
2/10/17

Within the last week WIX has taken a renewal payment from my credit card for twice the amount I paid for my site last year. I never had a warning email from them as it disappeared into my spam box, so I no chance of de-activating the auto renewal in time. I have requested a refund from them and am waiting for a response but judging from the comments here, once WIX has your money you won't hear from them again.

A hike from £55 to £111 plus for a year of hard to build website and awful customer service is surely unjustified.

Reading here I think it's unlikely that I will get any refund from WIX or even be able to talk through these issues with anyone from customer services.

The other thing which really concerns me is that I cannot take my credit card details down from my account page, despite the fact that I have cancelled my plan with WIX. Surely this is not legal? It says a lot that a company has to resort to underhand and "small print" ways of extracting hard earned money from small businesses and craftsmen rather than offering them a decent service and transparent way of working with them.

As someone else has said here "Absolute rip off merchants!!!!!" I'm disgusted.

ianh80
2/8/17

My web guy says about Wix....Btw even though it says wix accepts payment express in New Zealand on their website as a benefit for their users The official verdict after lots of communication is that they don't. !!!!
6 tickets in and lots of back and forward
with either 5 yr old children or illiterate adults not sure
I have never come across such a pack of losers in my entire career

vanap1
2/5/17

I paid for two years and a domain name. Neither have appeared when I log into my account. WIX says I have no paid account but that is not true. I want the money returned to me that they took under the belief that services would be supplied. I have no access to my website and WIX has no customer support. I can't even ask for a refund.

johnd706
1/18/17

Wix still has some really frustrating issues. I used a template with a beautiful video background embedded in one of their "strips". Spent a day designing a very nice looping video for this. Spent even more time figuring out where to put the logos so scaling the size of the website wouldn't crop my logos in the video. Got it working perfectly after about 12 hours of design work. Switched to mobile view. VIDEO WOULD NOT PLAY!!! Looked it up on Wix, only to be informed that the video feature was not supported in mobile view? WTF? SERIOUSLY? Then they as the question: Would you like to vote on having this feature added in the future? WTF? YA THINK? LIKE NOW?!!!! Why bother with it if 70% of my users browse on mobile devices now? Also, I cringe every time I get my layouts working perfectly in desktop view and then have to check them in mobile view. 100% of the time the mobile view will be 100% screwed up. I spend more time fixing the mobile view than I do building the original site. Wix YOU STILL NEED A LOT OF WORK!!!!!!!! FRUSTRATING!!!! DON'T TEASE PEOPLE WITH TEMPLATES THAT YOU CAN'T FULLY USE IN MOBILE MODE!!!!! BAD!!!!! YOU WILL ONLY KEEP PISSING PEOPLE OFF!!! THIS HAS TO ME HAPPENED WITH OTHER THINGS YOU OFFER...WITH THE SAME DUMB QUESTION ASKED ABOUT WANTING THE FEATURE ADDED IN THE FUTURE!!!!!

49 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

25 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Wix staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question