Review of Groupon

sysadmin@groupon.com
2017 Customer choice award

nanar3
9/22/17

They have some good deals, but the original price is usually marked waaay up so that it seems you're getting a much better deal.

cr3969
9/22/17

I have used Groupon for discounts on local services and have found it to be very good. BUT, buyer beware - groupons for services expire in 180 days. You don't lose the money you paid, you lose the deal. But, the reality is, can you expect a local vendor to hold up a deal for longer than 180 days? I guess not.

My experirence with buying goods has been with buying a refurbished phone. I'm on try #3 because the first one came in and the speaker didn't work. Second one came in and wouldn't accept my SIM card. My biggest gripe with Groupon - it takes 2-3 weeks for the refund, even if I return the item immediately. Groupon's customer service is nothing special and it's impossible to actually speak with someone - the best I could do was a chat and the person was of no help.

I am an avid Amazon.com user because their return policy is AMAZING and their customer service is excellent. If this third phone is not good, I'm done with Groupon - I'll spend the extra $$ and buy from Amazon.

jessicag175
9/21/17

Great service and promised turnaround time Promises delivered thanks one of the best company good offers

wendellc12
9/20/17

When Groupon started out, it was a great idea. They would have an arrangement where you could buy a coupon for an item or service available through their site only. This business model tanked because the companies did this to create more business, but a lot of people used the discounts and never came back for anything full price. Now what they do is email a list of coupons and promo codes, but they are 99% of the time the same deal you would get directly from the company, so nothing special. The one good thing is you can see a few different offers all together on their page, and I do give them credit for coming up with a way to stay in business.

jaynec18
9/20/17

I recently purchased the 3 tickets for £12 at any Vue cinema outside London. When I went through all the choices and put the code in, it took me to a page where you had to choose a seat for a further £4.99 per ticket!!! No where on the original advertisement was this mentioned - Complained to Groupon Customer services and got a load of bu.. sh.. as all answers had nothing to do with the complaint. I gave up in the end and got them to refund my money. Rubish service and false selling!

Tip for consumers: If you want to pay more than double the advertised offer for cinema tickets - go ahead and book with Groupon!

mobinj
9/19/17

Do not trust their reviews. There are some good places but there are some really bad offers too. I used Groupon to get my oil change for my car, turns out they never did the oil change.

robertd129
9/18/17

I haved used Groupon many times and found the process to be simple and easy to use.
Highly recommend Groupon to anyone

mikew214
9/14/17

So I bought concert tickets. Then it turned out I could not go. So less than an hour later. I login to attempt refund or cancel. I still have not yet been assigned tickets. So I email them. The concert is about 72 hours away. They get back over a day later with about 48 hours left til concert. Still not assigned tickets which I think is weird. So I finally get a response from some call center in foreign country guy. Basically saying tough luck give it to someone as a gift. So I text a friend and give away tickets. Still not assigned tickets yet. Then a couple hours I get an email from groupon sorry we sold tickets we don't have some system error. They refund 1 of 2 tickets. I email and said I gave away tickets this is unacceptable. Got generic response about bumping it up. Two days after concert get email your situation has already been resolved. I'm like hell no it has not and I haven't received a full refund. Still haven't heard anything it's been about 3 weeks now. They didn't even say sorry or anything for bad customer service. I've decided to share with my friends my horrible experience and we all buy tons of groupons. It's a horrible organization that has no clue about satisfying or resolving issues. I've never been treated so arrogently.

angelae41
9/13/17

I RECENTLY PURCHASED TWO ITEMS OFF GROUPON. ONE NEVER CAME AND GROUPON TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO AND REFUSED A REFUND AND THE OTHER WAS ONLY A MARKETING SCHEME TO UPSALE ME WHEN I GOT TO THE DOCTORS OFFICE WHERE THEY REFUSED TO DO THE TREATMENT THAT I INITALLY PURCHASED FROM GROUPON!!! AGAIN GROUPON REFUSED TO REFUND!! DO NOT TRUST OR PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!! TOTAL BULL$#*!

dennyc6
9/12/17

So I purchased some Drepowerbeats3, they charge up until 90 days. Right when their warranty expires, so does the charge. They don't have a serial number, Apple/DreBeats says they are not theirs - FAKE products being sold by Groupon!!! They gave me the finger. Dre?? why are you allowing this to happen??? Stealing our hard earned money to buy knockoffs of the Dre/Apple brand and everyone sitting around like WTF!

deniseb149
9/11/17

I tried changing my email address on the Groupon website, and it wouldn't allow me to. Somehow I get Groupon emails to all three of my addresses, so when I wanted to change to one of the other two addresses. I started a live chat with "Jackson B", who would not listen to my issue, did not read my responses and so kept asking me questions I had already answered, and would not check in (let me know he was working on it). 1) WHY can't I email a complaint or issue directly to Groupon? There is not email address available to customers (but there is for press and vendors), and 2) WHY is their chat help so SUCKY????????????????????

matth2320
9/11/17

I had been planning a family trip for months and thought Groupon would be a nice way to get the most out of a short period of time. I have made purchases with them previously with no issues and had a good feeling finding the deal I did. Of course weather changes and with that so does family plans. Well it just so happens a hurricane had brewed up in the Atlantic, IRMA, and was headed towards our destination, Myrtle Beach. Now, the beach wasn't going to be hit directly, but still has going to get tropical storm weather, nothing a 4 and 1 year old or anyone else should have to put themselves in the path of. I reached to Groupon several times to cancel or changes dates or even ask for some type of credit due to the circumstance and anything to not lose the money, because cause you know I wasn't putting my family in danger. Sadly to say they would not budge. I directly told asked them, "how could the only possible resolution be to take the money and let the person decide weather or not to put their family in harms way?" Their answer was, " Groupon does not impose the cancellation policies for Groupon Getaways deals" yet the hotel said they needs cancellation approval from Groupon in order to cancel. But guess who takes the money....you bet, Groupon.

I really hope people find this useful... a company that would rather take money than try and work something out with a family due to possible life threatening events is a disgrace.

johnd856
9/8/17

While Groupon (and Livingsocial since they are the same company now) promotes itself as saving you money, be careful in what you buy. I had purchased a groupon from the Things to Do category and after finding out it was not appropriate for my family, could not return or even get a one time exchange for another Groupon. They flat out denied the request, stating NO REFUND. This came from various levels at Groupon and their unwillingness to work with me as a customer has lead me to not use their services ever again. So now I'm stuck with a groupon that has expired that I cannot use and they have my money and they have made no attempt to rectify the situation, so Groupons moto should be "The Customer is NEVER right".

I would recommend that you think twice before using Groupon or Livingsocial, try LocalFlavor first as their vouchers are good for 1 year from purchase and they can be returned or exchanged.

bethb78
9/7/17

So mad! Groupon is going to get sued sooooooo bad. Fauls advertising is not a good look for you Groupon. There is no actual person for people to speak to, and they hide behind the screen and make you "chat" with them online.... your company has fallen very low on the totem poll, and you are ruining guests experiences at hotels and getaway packages. How dare you do this to family's and employees who work hard & have a desire to give customers a fair rate, & communication between your company and the guests is non existent. How are you getting away with 1000 1 star ratings!? Fix it or get sued, your choice Groupon. Class action looks like to me.

reubens26
9/7/17

Thought Groupon was great until I found out the businesses only get HALF of what you pay for the voucher. So a restaurant voucher $10 for $20 the restaurant only gets $5! What a scam! No wonder there are so few deals on Groupon!

fuckg3
9/5/17

For being such a highly recommend place for "good deals" They don't take any responsibility for the fake deals they allow people to post. I also tried emailing them dozens of times & have not got a response & it's been almost a month. They have the $#*!iest customer service I've ever experienced. Read their terms of sale they are scammers & need to get their $#*! together. I hope they get shut down within this year of 2017!!! $#*! you to the owners of this $#*!!!

sarahg180
9/5/17

Bought a groupon and entered s*****@outlook.con instead of s*****@outlook.com.

Never sent me a confirmation email (because that is an invalid email) and they kept my money.

janetb120
9/4/17

We found this company is deceitful and a scam. The promotion was to carpet clean three rooms and a hallway for 59.00. We paid for the group on and then scheduled the cleaning. When scheduling we responded to them that we have no pet issues; just dirt spots in high traffic areas. Before the person would clean out carpets he brought in his black light and found spots along the baseboard. We know our cat does not urinate in the house so he decided my daughter's dog must have done it (even though he says it could have been other proteins, and my daughter's dog does not raise her leg nor in urinate in houses). He refused to clean our carpet, though he had our money, unless we paid an additional 90 dollars to "treat" these spots. There were no visible spots, no smells, and no need to hunt with his backlight when we said there are no issues. When I complained to the office in Denver, the secretary was rude and the manager never called me back. They think they are honest and justified with their practices since there is a statement in the fine print. They will either keep your money and not clean your carpet as advertised or you have to pay this ridiculous extra fee for a service not needed.

brittanyt29
9/2/17

First of all, I never do these types of reviews but this one is a need be situation!!! I redeemed a waterfall repelling Groupon back in March, booking it for August. Last minute (after we drove 3 1/2 hours to go up and actually do the rappelling) they canceled the trip. The company stated there would be no problem getting a refund through Groupon since they had to cancel and we unable to reschedule our booking with them. Since, I've contacted Groupon explaining the issue and they are stating there are NO refunds. I'm extremely disappointed in their customer service! Buyer beware!!!!

jeannil
8/30/17

Living in a very rural area ordering online is a way of life. I have ordered many times from Groupon with absolutely NO problems. Only once have I had to return an item because it was broken upon delivery. It was replaced within days, no hassle. Items have always arrived in an appropriate amount of time, at a fraction of what it would have cost had I driven to the nearest place I could have bought it over an hour away. Pay attention to the item's rating and read the reviews to avoid possibly being disappointed. I have changed my mind many times after looking at the rating and reading the reviews.

lucyf19
8/29/17

I ordered a code for a photobook through groupon at the cost of £15. When I went to log on to my account to find the code but I couldn't log it, the password reset didn't work either. So I went on to live chat. I spoke with Reycel N and was told he can't find my account and there was nothing more he could do. I provided proof of payment and my account email address. He just said there was nothing he could do, just kept asking for my email address. Which I gave him 10+ times. Taking money without providing the product is theft. I am absolutely disgusted by the awful customer service and theft of my hard earned money.

joeh153
8/28/17

I bought a hotel for my sister that evacuated Houston because of the Harvey hurricane. Because the roads were closed and major flooding she was not able to check in on the date. I reached out to groupon 2 hours after I made the purchase to let them know and see if they could help...the rep was very unhelpful and showed no sympath. The rep supposedly escalated the issue after he refused to put me through to a manager...he lied and said a manager will reach out to me within 24-48 hours. It has been day 4 and I still have not recieved any communication from them...also I called during there "open" call times and the message said they were closed. Never purchase the hotel deals from groupon...u can actually call the hotel directly and get them to match the deal, they like it bc they get more money and don't have to share with the joke of a company groupon.

loriet4
8/26/17

I have only bought products off Groupon because friends have warned me that the entertainment or food Groupons can often be scams or just don't work. Everything I have bought (a dog seat cover, a number sign for our home, wine, air filters) has been up to par. I am careful and read it carefully. I did cancel an order and in fact returned something with absolutely no problem at all. I have read the bad reviews but myself personally have never had these problems. I have gotten some great deals and been pleased thus far. Customer service has always been kind to me just through EM's. I have been happy with Groupon.

stephs22
8/26/17

Horrible communication. They do not clearly communicate the fine print on the groupons you purchase therefore making you more susceptible to losing money on your Groupon for not following the merchant rules or other rules through groupon. You can live chat which doesn't seem to resolve many issues you have. I have had several issues with groupons I have purchased. One was for Jiu Jitsu and when I went to the place they told me they no longer accept groupons and that they have been telling groupon for the longest time to take their company off their site! Goes to show you how badly they are with communication. Please save yourself the money and hassle and buy through the actual merchants instead! It is well worth paying a little extra money to the actual merchant and to know exactly what you're getting too!

dianab61
8/24/17

Groupon used to care about their customers, now they put deals of places that have been closed for over 2 years, you cannot get them to remove them.You used to be able to call, now you cannot call them, their phone numbers are disconnected

1,623 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Yes , Groupon is legit. You need to read the fine print before ordering live event tickets- -they will not refund your money even if it's there fault. I only buy tickets for activities that don't expire or you can use the purchase price towards a non-Groupon service the vendor offers. Hope this helps.

By Wylendia E. on 1/19/16
Helpful answer

Yes, report it but using social media is a very effective way to get a companies attention. Spread the word, Groupon does not honor returns!

By karen h. on 11/21/15
Helpful answer

I do not buy or recommend buying anything with expectations of a guarantee. If it isn't what you expect. It is your problem - not theirs.

By Jackie M. on 6/4/16
Helpful answer

Groupon usually sends a tracking # via email If not do as the other people suggested, check My Groupons

By Storme G. on 11/2/15
Helpful answer

I usually call the merchants I am interested in before buying the coupons, and ask them if the groupon coupons work, and how much more I have to pay. You could do the same, contact the merchants you are interested in and ask them how groupon works for them?

By Julie P. on 11/9/15
Helpful answer

I personally do not trust groupon. The question previous to yours printed on this site should answer your question as to its reliaiblity

By SHIRL H. on 4/19/15
Helpful answer

No fees. However, the deals they advertise never add up to be what they seem on the web site. Beware

By Selcuk I. on 9/7/15
Helpful answer

The one I took by Holly and Hugo at least were I would research the company before buying. Also about twice a year they put all their courses for $5!! I got mine completed it and it helped boost my resume and I was able to get a vet assistant job pretty quickly compared to before where I only got a call back from about one place which didn't lead anywhere. :) hope I could help!

By Melanie R. on 2/4/16
Helpful answer

I wish I could say why, but a solution might be to contact Call Curtis, or your local News station that helps with consumer issues. They always seem to get fast resolutions, because companies hate BAD TV PUBLICITY.

By Patti B. on 8/5/15
Helpful answer

There should be a Proof of certification provided. Check that first, send Groupon support an email about your concerns. If I looked up the same ring. Is it being offered by Bliss? And 14k white gold? there is a description provided. From what I can see everything is there. I will tell you that there are 2 different scales for determining the clarity of diamonds. One is much more stricter that the other. Sorry I don't remember the names of them, but my guess is that the lower scale is being used to determine the clarity. I-J at 12-13 is about the standard for most diamonds bought in a jewelry store. Walmart would be n-m at 21-24 clarity. Print out the page so you have a copy as proof of the description. Take it to a jeweler and have it appraised. If it doesn't match, you have so many days to return the item. Groupon will keep a record of your emails and question sent. You can also contact Bliss Jewelry to confirm everything before you buy. An additional step that I recommend is to first sign up for ebates if you don't have an account. If you by it through the ebates site you will get back up to 12% of the sale price back. That's a lot of change back. No catch. I by everything through ebates. Yes you can return the item. Just make sure you are following the process.

By Bonnie S. on 6/1/15
Questions? Get answers from the Groupon staff and other customers.

30 Photos for Groupon