Review of Groupon

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

lilyr20
5/24/17

Buyer beware!! Groupon is great until you have an issue. Worst customer service ever! I have yet to get an email from the same person twice. I have an account. Groupon knows my location. Yet, I was sold an out of area coupon. Groupon has repeatedly placed the blame on its customer, the vendor, but I blame Groupon for this mistake. I blame Groupon for suggesting customers purchase coupons for areas in which they do not live. To clarify the vendor is in my area, however the coupon Groupon sold was not for my area, and therefore the full amount of the Groupon was not honored at the time of purchase. I contacted Groupon immediately after redeeming this coupon, within 24 hours of purchase, and have been told that because I redeemed the Groupon (albeit, for a lesser amount) and my dispute was not settled within three days (not for lack of trying on my part), there is nothing Groupon can do besides giving me Groupon credit, which after this experience, I do not want. As far as redemption is concerned, the Groupon was a service coupon for an oil change, which I had already had performed. When I found out that only a portion of my Groupon would be honored, I couldn't very well have them put the old oil back in the car, so I redeemed what I could of the Groupon, foolishly believing Groupon would make things right. Since then, it has taken Groupon over TWENTY days to resolve this issue, which in my opinion is still not resolved. I have been told I have Groupon credit, which I am not sure actually exists. It doesn't appear in my account and I never received confirmation. However, if it does exist, after using it (which I don't even really want to do) I will never purchase another thing from Groupon again.

elanal
5/23/17

Used a cleaning site from Groupon. I was overcharged. Groupon agrees with my stance but still won't reimburse me or help me further. They keep telling me over and over to contact the supplier, however the supplier does not agree that they owe me anything. Therefore Groupon does NOTHING. Don't use them, because if things go wrong, you're on your own and Groupon does not stand behind their customers.

verys2
5/22/17

This company has the most disappointing customer service I have ever experience. Please don't believe all these 4,5 stars fake reviews. Save yourself time and money and do not purchase with them. I know I never will after so many disappointments.
If if sounds too good to be true it probably is.

melv682
5/22/17

With internet orders we know things can go wrong. They should have a phone number to call and talk to someone, the chat center barely works and the people behind the chat obviously get in big trouble if they return or give a refund on anything. GROUPON IS NOT A SITE YOU WANT TO GET DEALS FROM UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE ROBBED OF MONEY!

brentono1
5/21/17

I wish I could add pictures but I basically ordered a set of pots and Tupperware. First it said ships in two days, IT TOOK A WEEK! When it finally got delivered it was delivered at the wrong address! Good thing some of my neighbors in Brooklyn are honest so they brought it over to me after a few hours of trying to figure out where they delivered my package too. After I got it the box was open, and the handles on the pots were in pieces!!! Tried calling customer service and all they kept telling me was they would send a return label so I can get a refund because they don't do exchanges. I basically just moved into a new apartment. I have no pots and no Tupperware to store my food. I patiently waited for this package to be delivered and now they are asking me to send it back so they can send me a refund and then I have to go order again and wait AGAIN! With no guarantee that it won't happen again! I HATE GROUPON!!! So inconsiderate. I've wasted so much time and effort trying to resolve this issue and it's pointless.

kathym162
5/21/17

If you are Canadian DO NOT book anything from this organization they advertise in Canadian funds and then they charge in US funds after the fact. I booked a hotel in Canada from Canada and paid double the price with fees and taxes then what I would have if I had booked directly. Groupon are bandits stay away from them this is my first and last time I will every use Ripon.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT book anything from this organization.

carolg96
5/20/17

I'm hooked on Groupon, for deals on nice dinners, discounts on activities for my grandchildren, half off flowers, edible arrangements, dinner and theatre, or goods I buy for myself or others. Groupon has about everything you could ever imagine, and always at a fantastic discount, an unbeatable discount. Also magazine subscriptions super cheap. The only thing I don't like about Groupon, is you are so limited on the amount of a product you can purchase, usually limited to one and maybe one to purchase as a gift. What I do like, is you never lose the money you paid, you can always use it at the same place you were going to make your purchase from, at a later date. You will not get the same deal, but you can always make a purchase from them after the coupon expiration date. Groupon is probably my favorite site.

anwarjanu
5/20/17

I purchased an auto service coupon on Groupon. I went to use it, but the rate the business charged was unreasonably high. So I decided to return the coupon back to Groupon and get my money back. However, their terrible return policy made it impossible to get a refund when I was not satisfied with the transaction. Apparently, their return period is three days. THREE DAYS!!!!! Who uses up their coupon/giftcard within a three-day window?! And I was not aware of this policy until I called them. Extremely displeased with Groupon and their awful return policy. One of the worst return policies I have ever encountered.

kathys164
5/19/17

Purchased tickets for Jones Beach Nikon Theater in February. Printed up tickets, section 24, Row G- Up high, but actually front row for that section.
Yesterday they sent me an e-mail and changed seats, same price point, high section, Section 24, but seats were all the way back in Row K.
Chat with customer service-Muhammed A-was useless, when I asked to speak with a supervisor he said he would get one to write me in 24-48 hours. Today another e-mail-from Muhammed A, acting as a customer service supervisor, again saying too bad.

Never again.

melissas200
5/18/17

I purchased 2 groupons for pretty pricey facials at a luxurious hotel for a vacation. The "facials" were horrible which consisted of someone rubbing their coughed up hands on my face and neck with no product for about 45 minutes... therefore, I asked the hotel if I could get a refund and they were 100% on board. Groupon refuses to refund me after they had the hotel authorize in writing that they agree to the refund and made me go through many obstacles to get them everything they requested... I have bought stuff on Groupon for years, and their service which used to be great has 100% deteriorated. Well, there is no service. Their "customer service" seems to be in another country with people who hardly speak English and just repeat the same lines over and over again without caring about anything, and typing while they talk to you. And the "supervisors" do the same on the phone or email. It's horrible. It is fraud - they sell you something you don't receive... and they don't care. Since my complaint, they added this language to their spa vouchers "Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services." I suppose it's their way to get away with this moving forward.. but my voucher was before they added this language. Basically if you buy a Groupon now, you're buying at your own risk as customer service is pretty much non-existent.. and the risk is not worth the potential savings. If you call the companies Groupon works with directly they will often honor the same Groupon rate. It's much better to deal directly with the companies.

kathya37
5/18/17

I bought a Fort Worth Segway tour in Dec and have yet to receive a returned call. I believe they are out of business. After five calls to Groupon and promised call-backs, I have had no results. I can't understand many of them and they all say the same thing. They won't return my money and I will never do business with them again!!

budl14
5/17/17

Purchased a house cleaning coupon for half price, $89.00 for four hours. Had major surgery thought we would need house cleaning. Relatives were great, kept house up for us. Called GroupOn and asked if we could get refund. No only within three days of purchase, understandable as they are just acting as a broker. Called vendor and asked for an appointment, Vendor refused saying that the coupon had a limit of ten miles and he was 12,? some miles from our address. Called
GroupOn back. way too many email and phone conversations to recount. finally told that they would "Kick" my complaint up a level and check with the vendor. no response for a week, called again. Described the run around I had been getting. A man in customer service then told me that they would process a refund. That was at 2:00 PM in the afternoon at 9:48 PM I received an email saying that I would not be getting a refund and that I should have checked the mileage before I bought the deal. I would need to give the coupon to someone else to use that is within their distance range, who I do not know. Between GroupOn and the vendor they have screwed me around until I have only two days left to use the coupon. Wonderful deal. BEWARE of GROUPON!!!!!!!

gaylas2
5/16/17

Occasionally I find a good deal on here. I enjoy looking thru the offers, Don't know why your require 100 characters though, on this review.

candraf
5/16/17

I purchased a Groupon voucher for a family vacation during Spring break for our first visit to the Great Wolf Lodge.  Everyone was looking forward to the stay. Well, when two of my children grew ill, I called and spoke with Groupon and the Lodge to see if we could cancel. The representative told us yes over the phone. Days later we received an email from Groupon saying no and that we were not getting our money back because we were deemed a "no show".  I reminded them that per our recorded phone conversation, they were to process a cancellation.  After many emails and a certified letter asking them to honor their recorded agreement to refund us the money or to just issue a credit towards another package, they stopped communicating and even the corporate office refuses to honor what they said they would do. The person who contacted me on behalf of the CEO was very rude, abrasive in his tone, and basically called me a liar and said I was to blame for losing over a thousand dollars on this booking, even though I was following their directives. He then promptly disconnected the phone, without answering my questions. This was an expensive lesson that I pray others can take heed. Beware because they do not value the customer or honor their agreements. So disappointed in Groupon's travel department.

Tip for consumers: Tip: It's hard to get your money back whenever there is an issue if the person you paid your money to is pointing the finger at someone else.

hanij
5/16/17

I have used Groupon ap for a while and i was unsatisfied for their custome serivce, and for delay in deliver as well as you can't refund your money easily

kaylac26
5/16/17

They took my money and ran. I spent over $200 and moved so they won't credit me. Even though I was emailed they would. Hung up on me 3 times. Never buy groupons!!! Worst company ever!!!

rachelp66
5/15/17

I've been using Groupon quite a while and was satisfied in the beginning, but now that I have issues with 2 separate vouchers the customer service is a NIGHTMARE!!!! I spent HOURS trying to get a refund or at the very least a trade in with no results! Some women actually wrote on the live chat as I was typing. I don't think you're there anymore and disconnected me!!!! Bottom line the aggravation isn't worth the possibility of getting a great deal! (Which you may or may NOT get!)

db151
5/15/17

Great way to try out new businesses and products for half price. Altough groupons have a shelf life (which is more than ample) on the savings, you never lose the face value of your investment.

vp26
5/15/17

I purchased a groupon to make my mother's day. The business did not open that day despite no indication on their website and multiple people showing up expecting to eat. I had to scramble to take my mom elsewhere, trusting that groupon would refund me (after all, they get half of what you paid for doing nothing). I talked to 4 people from groupon and all they would do is repeat their policy to me of refusing to refund any groupons purchased more than 3 days from the call.

They are a ridiculous company that clearly don't care about their customers. $14 is worth more to them than a repeat customer. RIDICULOUS

anag15
5/15/17

First time i use them, years ago, was fine, then i got a coupon for a laser place who did absolutely nothing for me, but let's say that was that the place was bad. This May i bought an led lightbulb with mosquito killer, they sent me a 4 step stairs, i called, they email me a return label, really? Now i have a job of returning stuff they send wrong. She said it can take two weeks and it depends on how my bank handles refunds. Sounds like trouble. I heard she had an accent and all the people in the back that were talking too, they all sound chinese, i don't think this company is in the US.

jonb104
5/14/17

My wife and I used to use check Groupon every day, it was great, the customer service was excellent and the deals were amazing. We even went on our honeymoon in Antigua using a Groupon and it was amazing. In the last few years they have done a complete 180. They advertise prices that are appealing and then you get destroyed by hidden "shipping fees" and the like in the fine print. I recently bought a $5 photo print to be separately charged $10 by the company for "shipping"...Groupon would have never done this in the past, they have decided to go the route of deception over honesty...I will never shop through Groupon again and will advise everyone that I know to avoid them at all costs.

dawnh80
5/13/17

Bought Full Circle 160 hour TESOL online class. The voucher code was invalid. I have requested a refund. This is the second TESOL class that I have purchased from them. The other one could not be accessed.

marcyd6
5/12/17

I purchased concert tickets in March and should have been able to download them within 48 hours, but that never happened. I have been in contact with Groupon via email and calls since that time and have repeatedly found that Groupon has the most horrible customer service. They are of no help and their strong foreign accents makes it difficult to understand them. Its now May and I still havent received my tickets!!! I've now been told that my tickets wont be available for download until sometime in June! Having to wait 3 months for tickets that I should have been able to download within 48 hours of purchase is totally unacceptable!!! This is a ripoff and I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from Groupon again.

rajr21
5/12/17

I bought a restaurant discount deal from Groupon. However, the restaurant refused to honor the discount. When I contacted Groupon customer support (via online chat), they refused to refund my money. They offered to escalate the issue, and promised that someone will get back to me in 36 hours. I waited for a week but never heard back from them, so I called them again (had to search for their phone number on Google). Their customer service rep in Philippines could barely speak English, and was reading from a script. He was of no help, and offered to escalate the issue. Again, I never heard back from anyone.

Groupon has taken my money, and has no intention to deliver the promised goods. Its nothing but a bait-and-switch scam.

veronicac17
5/12/17

This has been an awful experience. We bought tickets for a show on Thursday the 11th at 7:30. We bought these tickets on Sunday night. The gpass, nor an email were given to me. The money was taken from my account, but tickets were never delivered. I proceded to begin calling and emailing Groupon about this. Their customer support is the worse thing in the world. I was lied to, given the run around, insulted even! From Monday till Thursday!! I was told to wait, first 48 hours after the Groupon ended, the. 48 to 24 hours before the show begins, then I was told to call Ticketmaster. I called them and they said since Groupon charged you, then they need to give you the gpass. I called so many times, wasted so much time and money. At the end they made us go all the way down to the venue with proof of purchase to get these tickets, that is 45 minutes away from where we live. Just to refund us when we got to the venue! They think that that's the way to fix what they did!!! It wasn't! Giving me my money back had to be done or I would have reported them for thievery! This in no way fixes a ruined Mother's Day!! Worse experience ever!

2,179 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

112 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Groupon staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
beverleyc7
Beverley C.
on 8/5/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the Groupon staff and other customers.

29 Photos for Groupon