WritersCafe.org

WritersCafe.org has a consumer rating of 2.96 stars from 27 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. WritersCafe.org also ranks 32nd among Social Network sites.

How would you rate WritersCafe.org?

“writerscafe”

will m.
1/1/20

There are a lot of negative comments being made about Writers cafe, but actually, the site is ok. It's only amateur, but there are some reasonable decent offerings to be had and overall I have found most folk to be perfectly friendly. Don't expect War and Peace, or a ode by Tennyson, as the site is pretty much for those who simply enjoy writing as a fulfilling pastime, rather than a day job.

“zombie site?”

Walter M.
10/10/19

Site seems to be running on its own. Admins do not or will not respond to emails. Easy to use, but there are annoying quirks that need fixing (or otherwise explained) but probably never will be. The "Discover" feature (which randomly pulls up works by others for your review) won't work if your ad-blocker is on, but they never warn you of this. In re books: I tried to add the first chapter of a book, but the process is persnickety and weird and for some reason it won't accept editing afterwards. There is a Facebook page, but you won't get any response there either. PRIME PROJECTION: The site collects ad revenue for its admins and that's all the admins care about.

willm118
January 1st, 2020
walterm140
October 10th, 2019
hiddenw
April 29th, 2017
Don't put too much trust into people whom you grow close to on the internet- they could hack into your profile and never return it to you. I didn't create another account because I felt that I was too "well-known" in the "WritersCafe" community. I don't want to come back because on WRITERSCAFE- it might as well be a WAR. Writers are not friendly with each other, trust me. You'll only get hurt.
laurenb19
November 24th, 2014
What a wonderful site, I have written many stories and poems. I get very excellent feedback and they encourage me to get my stuff published. It is a great site for those who love to write stories, poems, and share their ideas. Not only that a good way to find a list of local publishers to try and get books published. You should really join this site. It is a lot safer then deviantArt, they take harassment, bullying, and stuff very seriously.
laurenb21
December 18th, 2014
I love this website. It gives you pretty good feedback, and you meet writers from all over the world. And they encourage you to get your work published and display a list of local areas of any publishers near you.
danh52
January 30th, 2014
Mixed feelings about this site. For the beginning writer it will be helpful- but only if you are able to connect with writers willing to critique your work. Too many members there are into backslapping and ego-boosts, and lack the skills and/or knowledge to offer meaningful help. Many poor writers are being decieved there, as there are very few that will tell them their writing stinks, and that they need to work hard at improvement. For the middle or advanced writer, don't bother, unless you are willing to offer endless advice, with little chance of the effort being reciprocated. You get what you pay for, and since this free...
martinw62
September 27th, 2017
My experience over 5 years with writing on this site. Usually You don't get honest reviews people always write like this is great or you make it well today. But what they really meant you never get it. I can see there lot of anger and hate in between writers. Since there no more exist forum there is no any real discussion . Looks also there is no in operate any moderators. I saw so many poems with copyright pictures and nobody cares. Some writing is very lame without any level of literacy . You can also get block from others writers for no particular reasons. Top review writers and poets . They writing looks like trash from 14 years old person. Groups basically not work there . You can put there writing how many times you want but nobody cares. Forum in groups don't work neither. Contest are very low quality basically anybody can win . You never get any publish contract with magazines. So all together is not so good.But I visited few another simulate web sites . I was not impress neither. If you think your writing is great. Send to the New Yorker etc.
jte1
May 8th, 2017
I joined Writer'sCafe about a week ago and dumped about 20 stories and several books into their system. The other day I was browsing through my work and found they had blotted out the word 'bastard' from one of my titles. The fact that some yahoo in the backroom didn't like that word was the first red flag. The fact they didn't have the courtesy to contact me was the second red flag. I was stunned that they would do something like that. i didn't wait for the third red flag, I erased all my work, took my profile down and got the hell out of there.
johnm470
John M.
May 5th, 2015
I have used this site for about five to six years now and have read many poems from a variety of poets and exchanged many reviews. I have had a wonderful experience in general and enjoyed some very worthy poetry. I have found most people, like myself, wish everyone well and are courteous and helpful and supportive. Many I think of as internet friends.

Unfortunately the site allows a small number of people to send abusive reviews and when reported do nothing about it. Currently there is a guy who has multiple identities who has caused at least two good people off the site. He has also sent me abusive emails to my personal writing webpage and despite the evidence the Moderators do nothing. A similar incident took place in 2013 (could be the same person) and when I fought back through civil poetry I was given a warning. It took months before the perpetrator had his account closed down. His level of abuse is remarkable but then he denies sending them despite evidence in the email strings and the remarkable similarity to the language used in emails he can be identified in. This seems to me to break the law and yet he is allowed by the owners (who never acknowledge or reply to complaints) to carry on regardless.
sallyc91
November 17th, 2018
Unlike some other sites WritersCafe is more of a portfolio site. They let you post whatever you want and there's not really any expectation for anyone to read it or let you know what they thought of it. That's OK for what it is! But don't expect too much out of it.

The people there are limited in the kinds of discussion they have on your writing and there isn't really a "forum" per se.
normant23
March 30th, 2018
There has been much discussion here about judging the "quality" of writing on this site. Surely any reaction to poetic licence is purely subjective. But as I am unable to either write, or interpret obscure phrases, I write for my own pleasure, also hopefully for my readers and not catharsis, which does seem to be prevalent on most writing sites.
How does one judge the merits of those emotions, without knowing the individual and the reality of those miseries?. Perhaps this explains the paucity of reviews.
Contributing to this site , at least has introduced me to different styles, which, in turn has widened my perspective..
If you need a more formal critical approach, there are more academic courses run by colleges etc., which can be quite brutal, but not always meeting the less formal standard.of the enthusiastic amateur.

" Horses for courses" is the watchword here..
l
gerond
June 9th, 2018
Cant get a hold of the web admin to help close my account. I have a picture that keeps showing up on Google that I dont want to appear in the searches
indies
October 30th, 2013
i would not recommend this or any writing site unless you don't mind reading $#*! and saying it is wonderful, don't expect critique from one's who have ability, have no talent as a writer yourself. i do recommend it if you want another pretend friend, are delusional about your writing prospects and like facebook. that's all folks!
billc90
September 22nd, 2015
Subpar writers who don't understand the craft enough to give helpful critiques. A lot of ego stroking that leads to more lousy and sloppy work from others. There are some legit writers on this site, but for some reason... they choose not to give their wisdom.
rebeccam265
May 6th, 2018
Just scrolled through a great number of the comments posted here. My guess is that the vast majority come from those who are either abysmally poor writers who have had their egos bruised, or simply have no real interest in the written word.

I write for my own pleasure only, but enjoying sharing my work with like minded scribblers who and are not part for the disease that seems to infect the whole of the internet, (the cloak of anonymity,) which allows the unpleasant and twisted mind free reign.

Perhaps no Robert Frost, or Emily $#*!inson will ever be discovered on Writers Cafe, but so what, as far as I am concerned it's a perfectly good showcase for us doubtless always to be amateurs; and as far as I am concerned, its detractors can simply crawl back under the rock they came from.

Beccy. Writerscafe.
robertw211
December 28th, 2015
I've been with WritersCafe since May 2015 and it has been a mostly positive experience. I should say until recently. There are some very thin-skinned people out there. There is a lot of teen-aged angst poetry and way too many mass shooting stories. I really hate zombies.

If you are active and read and review other members you will have a better time there. If you just write and think the world will praise your genius, well, you may be disappointed. I review more than I get reviewed, but that seems to be the norm there. Overall, I'm satisfied with the site.
jamesn37
July 12th, 2014
Writers Café has the best display for aspiring authors short stories I have ever seen. Their truly the crème of the crop, and I can sense the pride of writers Café. It shows in their true professionalism. There are no other site which even comes close to writers Café. 'Be immune to rumor' Jimmy Nuzz
stevenp38
March 30th, 2015
Thanks to tklittle (david demmers) area code 303''''' the sooner he and wc are dealt with mercilessly and permanently the better. Steve
alank
November 3rd, 2010
writerscafe.org is a perfect and encouraging venue for growth as a writer. It affords clients copyright of their writing as "published" and has every manifestation of writing genre available to writers who are keen to learn and progress in their art...There are many sage and professional resident writers who freely offer advice and reviews of work is invariably constructive. I would recommend writerscafe.org to any prospective writer or readers who enjoy a wide range of quality, written work.
amys31
October 30th, 2012
I've never used the website because I disagree with the Terms of Service:

Content Submitted or Made Available For Inclusion on The Service

Aresta Enterprise does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for via the Service, you grant Aresta Enterprise a perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify and publicly display such Content on the Service.

You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Aresta Enterprise, against any claim arising from any content that you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service.

So, basically, you still technically own the copyright, but you allow them the irrevocable right to use your work forever. It sounds scary to me. Unless someone buys the rights, I'm not giving them the right to use my work forever.
tonyl39
February 11th, 2014
The Good: The site is great for getting a feel for young talent and for posting your poetry. I'm not putting my books there but if you need a place to store your work and get feedback from other aspiring writers and poetry lovers, it's great!

The Bad: It's extremely bad! The site itself is constantly freezing up or taking forever to load its pages...Although it's one of the better designed sites, it takes great patience to be a regular!
laurenj6
October 10th, 2013
Submission is easy, contests are overrated, have not contacted any "publishers" on the site so I cannot say if they are credible or not. It's a fun site for writers, poets, and playwrights who want their work to be critiqued by others.
ponyl
July 1st, 2013
I really like WritersCafe. Though there are lots of annoying drama queens and trolls who really can't write, the majority of members are really nice and give good reviews. This may not be the most amazing website to grow in your writing, but it's a starting point and a good place to get support, put your writing out there, and make friends.
jamess53
February 7th, 2012
Aside from being a very poorly run site full of flakey webmasters and moderators, this is a bad site to belong to for any aspiring writer. At one time, it may have been trying to be something great for new writers' exposure - like SoundCloud or Bandcamp for musicians. But it is clear now from the abundance of scam literary journal requests that this is nothing more than a slightly more sophisticated version of poetry.com. It's a shame how so many websites aimed to help new writers devolve into this pathetic scam for paid compilations. If you're new to the scam, it goes like this...

I want to publish you in a new, beautifully bound, literary journal. All you have to do is buy the book!

See what I did there? For all new writers looking for resources online, I wish I could be of more help. Writerscafe.org might help you feel better about yourself for a little while, and perhaps you'll make a friend or two, but ultimately if you want to take this seriously, this site will cause more harm to your reputation than good.
bethg6
November 30th, 2012
I've been on writerscafe for three years. And I disagree with most of the comments made. Not only have I grown as a writer on there. I have made life-long friends. The interaction that website permits.... allows for like minds to connect. Priceless if you ask me.

I have been having the same problem and have been posting for almost 4 years now and this is the first time it has been this bad.

By Dara H.

If someone reported you as a troll or placed a complaint about you, the moderators may have taken you off. I've had some problems with people who didn't like my review and blocked me from their profile. Thin-skinned.

By Robert W.

Well, because you're terrible at lying, falsifying "evidence" and a troll yourself. Grow up and learn not to react to internet harassment.

By Dave-Town d.

Why are you complaining? You're one of the trolls that is allowed. Just because you do in private mail doesn't mean it's a secret. Grow up, grow thicker skin and stop pretending to be something you are not.

By Dave-Town d.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the WritersCafe.org staff and other customers.

Share your poetry, short stories and novels. Join writing groups. Enter writing contests. Search publishers, literary agents and literary magazines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WritersCafe.org?

Have a question about WritersCafe.org?