Review of Wine Insiders

Tel: +1-800-615-7304
info@wineinsiders.com

melissas476
3/12/19

First time ordering from Wine Insiders. My package was damaged in shipping(they use Fed Ex as their carrier) . I WAS in fact notified of the damage. However, was NOT notified my package was sent back to shipper. I have Been waiting at home to sign for my wine . After talking to Fed ex and then calling Wine Insider's customer service. I was told my package had been sent back. I was Not given this notification. The man (Shawn) in customer service felt the need to explain to me in an extremely condescending tone how to use tracking info. As if I walked straight out of a cave. He told me it was my responsibility to call Wine Insiders back and request a new shipment since my first order was damaged. I was under the impression all of this would've been handled by them since I'm a paying customer. Or at the VERY least, been told my package had been sent back, instead of wasting my day off waiting around at home for the package. I asked if this info is listed under their customer service potion on the Wine Insiders site, he said no. So, I guess I should start learning Telepathy. I said that once a shipment is damaged & returned back to them their warehouse can take up to two weeks to notify them and send out a new package to the sender. I explained this was my first purchase from them & probably my last. He told me when I got off the phone my wine would be here in 3 business days. Guess I better clear my schedule now to begin the waiting process again. Ridiculous.

terrieh62
2/22/19

I've been getting wine from Wine Insiders (not their club) for a couple of years now (I belong to two other clubs). I've never paid shipping for wine insiders, which I love. I've been able to try out good wines from all over the world, which I may never have done if I went to the local wine shop. I've been able to reorder wines I like when they have specials at reasonable prices. I can get sparkling wine which you rarely get with other wine clubs. When I first started with them, when they sent me the wrong wine, they simply sent me the right wine. I think they've probably changed that policy now, since I got a wine credit when there were two bottles missing from my case. My only beef with them is that when I called recently to get a credit for a wine we didn't like, is that if you purchased it more than 6 months ago, "satisfaction guaranteed" no longer applies! We live in Texas, so don't order wine during the summer. 100 degrees can't be good for wine! We order plenty during the winter to make it through until October. So, how do I keep track of what we ordered and when? This rule they have is in their "Terms and Conditions" section-the fine print. So, the perfect wine company ruins their rating with their fine print. This hasn't stopped me from getting their wine. I just ordered two cases on one of their 35% off deals-no shipping-I chose the 30 bottles of wine I wanted at reasonable prices. So 5 stars for their wine quality and price point and 1 star for their "satisfaction guaranteed" policy.

freddyd10
2/2/19

I've been shopping at wine insiders for over a year now, I found them on an intro offer on Facebook and HAVENT LOOKED BACK. Amazing wines, great value, and they ship free. Like, I was so sick of getting the same wines at the store but now everyone thinks I'm a wine god. Thank u wine insiders for making me a wine god.

bkt
1/31/19

I have been a customer of Wine Insiders for several years now. I am very pleased with the quality of the wines and the many, many selections available for purchase. I find their offers enticing and inventive. My experiences with the sales people have been positive. I look forward to doing business with them for many years to come.

babatundea2
1/31/19

I have been shopping with them for the past 4 years, order my wine twice in a year and I never have problem with them

reannas2
1/31/19

I have ordered twice. I want to like wine. Large selection. I ordered a bulk of white the first time which was wine. The second time I ordered selected sweet bottles which I enjoyed. Came fairly quickly and well packaged. I was able to pick up at Walgreens which was easier. Will order again.

dianeb416
Diane B.
1/22/19

We have been purchasing wine from Wine Insiders for over 2 years. We have never had a wine we did not like. We especially like the sales where you choose the bottles you want at especially good prices.

brandya22
1/7/19

I came across the wine insiders groupon about a week ago, looked like a great deal, so I checked the reviews. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much. A couple reddit reviews complaining about wine clubs in general and the usual you tube reviews.. "this is the best product in the world! You have to buy it, it's life changing! Just click my personal link below!." eye roll.... I figured id give it a try and write a review for anyone else who was looking. $60 (75 originally, but groupon almost always has 20%off coupons) plus $30 shipping is only $6 per bottle... Here's how it went :

They have a special link on the Groupon that you click on, takes you right to your specific deal. Once you get there a screen pops up and asks if you want to upgrade. You can stick with you basic package or upgrade to "better" for $25 or "best" with rush processing for $45. I went ahead and I upgraded to best. It's still only $8 a bottle and the pop up made me feel like the base wines would be crap. My order was placed on dec 29th, but didn't ship until jan 2nd. I wouldn't call that rush processing, but since it was the holidays, I can let it slide.

I haven't gotten the wine yet, I will update this as soon as I do. I do have some concerns though. The upgrade package said the premium wines will be worth close to $20 each. The wines that showed up in my tasting notes ranged from 10.99 to only one at 19.99, most 15.99. There were also only 8 bottles in the tasting notes. I'm hoping they aren't sending duplicates... Wine will be here saturday Jan 5th. To be continued....

Unfortunately, they were duplicates. Pics below are the wines along with price.

Im not an experienced wine drinker by any means, but I can give you the basics... I tried the Boabrisa tonight, it was decent. Passed the swirl test and was fairly smooth. Definitely worth the $8 paid, but hardly premium as advertised. I'll update as I go though the rest.

I did email the company to let them know I wasn't happy about the duplicates and price point, we will see how they respond.

I was able to try the rest of the wine over the weekend. It was all ok, but not worth taking the time to write an individual review for each. None were bad, but none were great or even unique, oddly enough, the bottles were all very similar in taste and depth. Picture yourself walking into your local grocery store and grabbing a $10-$15 bottle that's one sale for the week. That's pretty much what you are getting here.

Here's where they lose my business. The customer service rep emailed me back stating that the upgrades said "up to $20" for best and "up to $15" for better. Sneaky sneaky... He also said that there was a link to see the wine you would be getting in each package. I did see these while ordering, but assumed they would just be some of what you are getting since they were only eight. Nope, those are the only bottles you will be getting. The images are v very similar to the ones below, except they conveniently leave off the prices. After a quick search on the site, it seems like the value of all the wine are basically the same. looks like it's was just a $45 marketing scam....

So the big question: is it worth it? If you just want a bunch of cheap wine for yourself or a party, yes. The wine is decent and at $5 per bottle, it's hard to go wrong. (i wouldn't pay for the upgrade if i ordered again). If you care about quality over quantity or are a more experienced wine drinker, no, this isn't for you. Would i order again? No. The deceptive marketing left a bad taste in my mouth and there are many other companies left to try.

cynthial158
1/4/19

Some of the reds in the Mediterranean sampler were old and dusty....the corks were so mealy they disintegrated upon opening indicating improper storage

Response from Maxwell E., Wine Insiders Representative
Hey Cynthia - Thanks for your feedback and our sincerest apologies about the corks. Please contact our Customer Service team at (800) 615-7304 Monday through Friday 9:00am – 8:00pm EST or email us at info@wineinsiders.com and we'll be more than happy to make this right. As for the corks-- the package protecting your wine is called Molded Fiber (or Molded Pulp) and is one of the most environmentally friendly and sustainable packaging solutions available. It is made from recycled newspapers and water!

The use of the molded fiber in place of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene), more commonly known as Styrofoam, saves 1.75 gallons of water and 1 kilowatt of energy. Due to the nature of the material, you may see some dust on the bottles due to the breaking down of the pulp as it protects your wine shipment. Let us know if you have any other questions!
mauriceh32
12/31/18

I was referred to them by Groupon and tried their Red Wine sampler offer. First they slam you with an extremely high shipping price, then they take forever to send you the wrong bottles of no-name wines. In my selection there were 4 whites which I did not order and all the red were duplicates of another. So, I made this known and "Philip H." took my "case". His "solution" was to get me a credit on my next order. Seriously? How would this condescending twat think I'll ever order from them again? So I donated the whole shipment to the homeless so they will have a great New Years part. Horrible. Stay away - I wish I could warn more people.

Response from Maxwell E., Wine Insiders Representative
Hey Maurice - Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the poor experience! Orders using promotions purchased from third party sites such as Groupon require us to charge for shipping based on their terms. We actually offer free shipping on 6+ bottles when you order directly through us. Also, Groupon reserves the right to sub wines if they are out of inventory. By ordering directly through us, you would've avoided all of these issues. We apologize once again for any inconvenience this caused you.
lindal561
9/14/18

I was referred to Wine Insiders by a friend. The original case ordered using groupon was the most complicated, but afterwards it was quick and easy. I can even pick up at a FedEx drop after work so I do not need to be home for signing. I like to try new wines and share with friends. There are favorites I reorder. I find the value, selection and ease of shopping an excellent option for my busy schedule.

garyf192
7/19/18

My wife and I really enjoy the wines that we have ordered. A little skeptical at first, but not anymore. We always get the split of half whites/half reds because in that mix you will find a proper match for any situation. GREAT WINES AT GREAT PRICES. Gotta go, its time to pull a cork !

ashleyc144
3/1/17

I was skeptical purchasing from WineInsiders based off of the previous reviews on this page. However, I had already purchased a gift card through Groupon & figured afterwards if WineInsiders is really a scam then oh well, no big loss to my wallet. I placed my order for 6 Gold Winner bottles of wine on a Friday. Few days later I received my shipping notification, & then the following Thursday it arrived at my door via UPS. All 6 bottles were correct & accounted for. I am sorry to hear others had an awful experience. However, my experience was beyond perfect & I have no doubt I will be ordering from them again.

caymanw
4/18/11

I have ordered several cases from wineinsiders. They were all delivered promptly and I have been enjoying the selection. Not a bad bottle yet, and I think it's a good value.

Hey Mel! Shipping generally takes 2-3 days after processing (about 90% of orders are shipped in 2 days). Also, shipping is free on orders of 6 or more bottles. Let us know if you have any other questions! Cheers!

By Maxwell E., Wine Insiders Representative

No shipping and large varieties of good inexpensive wines.

By Terrie H.

Questions? Get answers from the Wine Insiders staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Wine Insiders