Review of Wine Insiders

Tel: +1-800-615-7304
privacy@wineinsiders.com

brandya22
1/7/19

I came across the wine insiders groupon about a week ago, looked like a great deal, so I checked the reviews. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much. A couple reddit reviews complaining about wine clubs in general and the usual you tube reviews.. "this is the best product in the world! You have to buy it, it's life changing! Just click my personal link below!." eye roll.... I figured id give it a try and write a review for anyone else who was looking. $60 (75 originally, but groupon almost always has 20%off coupons) plus $30 shipping is only $6 per bottle... Here's how it went :

They have a special link on the Groupon that you click on, takes you right to your specific deal. Once you get there a screen pops up and asks if you want to upgrade. You can stick with you basic package or upgrade to "better" for $25 or "best" with rush processing for $45. I went ahead and I upgraded to best. It's still only $8 a bottle and the pop up made me feel like the base wines would be crap. My order was placed on dec 29th, but didn't ship until jan 2nd. I wouldn't call that rush processing, but since it was the holidays, I can let it slide.

I haven't gotten the wine yet, I will update this as soon as I do. I do have some concerns though. The upgrade package said the premium wines will be worth close to $20 each. The wines that showed up in my tasting notes ranged from 10.99 to only one at 19.99, most 15.99. There were also only 8 bottles in the tasting notes. I'm hoping they aren't sending duplicates... Wine will be here saturday Jan 5th. To be continued....

Unfortunately, they were duplicates. Pics below are the wines along with price.

Im not an experienced wine drinker by any means, but I can give you the basics... I tried the Boabrisa tonight, it was decent. Passed the swirl test and was fairly smooth. Definitely worth the $8 paid, but hardly premium as advertised. I'll update as I go though the rest.

I did email the company to let them know I wasn't happy about the duplicates and price point, we will see how they respond.

I was able to try the rest of the wine over the weekend. It was all ok, but not worth taking the time to write an individual review for each. None were bad, but none were great or even unique, oddly enough, the bottles were all very similar in taste and depth. Picture yourself walking into your local grocery store and grabbing a $10-$15 bottle that's one sale for the week. That's pretty much what you are getting here.

Here's where they lose my business. The customer service rep emailed me back stating that the upgrades said "up to $20" for best and "up to $15" for better. Sneaky sneaky... He also said that there was a link to see the wine you would be getting in each package. I did see these while ordering, but assumed they would just be some of what you are getting since they were only eight. Nope, those are the only bottles you will be getting. The images are v very similar to the ones below, except they conveniently leave off the prices. After a quick search on the site, it seems like the value of all the wine are basically the same. looks like it's was just a $45 marketing scam....

So the big question: is it worth it? If you just want a bunch of cheap wine for yourself or a party, yes. The wine is decent and at $5 per bottle, it's hard to go wrong. (i wouldn't pay for the upgrade if i ordered again). If you care about quality over quantity or are a more experienced wine drinker, no, this isn't for you. Would i order again? No. The deceptive marketing left a bad taste in my mouth and there are many other companies left to try.

cynthial158
1/4/19

Some of the reds in the Mediterranean sampler were old and dusty....the corks were so mealy they disintegrated upon opening indicating improper storage

mauriceh32
12/31/18

I was referred to them by Groupon and tried their Red Wine sampler offer. First they slam you with an extremely high shipping price, then they take forever to send you the wrong bottles of no-name wines. In my selection there were 4 whites which I did not order and all the red were duplicates of another. So, I made this known and "Philip H." took my "case". His "solution" was to get me a credit on my next order. Seriously? How would this condescending twat think I'll ever order from them again? So I donated the whole shipment to the homeless so they will have a great New Years part. Horrible. Stay away - I wish I could warn more people.

lindal561
9/14/18

I was referred to Wine Insiders by a friend. The original case ordered using groupon was the most complicated, but afterwards it was quick and easy. I can even pick up at a FedEx drop after work so I do not need to be home for signing. I like to try new wines and share with friends. There are favorites I reorder. I find the value, selection and ease of shopping an excellent option for my busy schedule.

garyf192
7/19/18

My wife and I really enjoy the wines that we have ordered. A little skeptical at first, but not anymore. We always get the split of half whites/half reds because in that mix you will find a proper match for any situation. GREAT WINES AT GREAT PRICES. Gotta go, its time to pull a cork !

ashleyc144
3/1/17

I was skeptical purchasing from WineInsiders based off of the previous reviews on this page. However, I had already purchased a gift card through Groupon & figured afterwards if WineInsiders is really a scam then oh well, no big loss to my wallet. I placed my order for 6 Gold Winner bottles of wine on a Friday. Few days later I received my shipping notification, & then the following Thursday it arrived at my door via UPS. All 6 bottles were correct & accounted for. I am sorry to hear others had an awful experience. However, my experience was beyond perfect & I have no doubt I will be ordering from them again.

caymanw
4/18/11

I have ordered several cases from wineinsiders. They were all delivered promptly and I have been enjoying the selection. Not a bad bottle yet, and I think it's a good value.

iram2
4/5/11

Poor customer service and misleading advertising. I used a groupon to purchase a case of "Mystery Reds"....as in plural. The photo they use to depict the case displays a variety of different wines. Instead I received a case of a single no-name Merlot. When I contacted their customer service they saw no issue with their marketing nor were they willing to try to resolve the situation. That's not a great way to develop return customers...especially online.

Buyer beware.

alexanders1
11/28/10

Looks like another good place to buy wine. WRONG. they take a minimum of one month to send any order. and god help you if there is a problem with the order. they will substitute wine with wine not even close to the right stuff. Customer Care just runs interferience and will not help you with anything. I've been waiting two months on an order that was suppose to be resent after UPS destroyed the first shipment.

Almost two weeks and these guys are 10 miles away from me. For $25 I'd have an Uber come and get it but of course they need to make their money by inflating shipping costs too. The worst.

By Maurice H.

Questions? Get answers from the Wine Insiders staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Wine Insiders