Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

yunkais
3/18/19

They changed the game rule in 2019 and pretty much ruining everybody business. Deleted~
Before 2019, I spent $200/mo and earned $2000/mo
In 2019, I spent $400/mo and earned $400/mo
Scam

mikee192
3/18/19

On three different occasions I tried to use Thumbtack to find a professional for the job. In each instance I was not contacted by the pro listed as their recommendation. This is nothing more than yellow pages on line. I decided to no longer waste my time by attempting to use their service.

stephanieg212
3/11/19

As a pro with Thumbtack for over nine years I finally terminated my account today (11 Mar 19). Thumbtack billed me $3.95 twice today AFTER I warned them not to do this, even after my account was deactivated.

Please be aware of the following:

T. sends out duplicate leads, which I've responded to in the past, and still refuses to refund money when this is brought to their attention.

T. bills me for inaccurate leads or leads I've outright declined.

T.'s favorite phrase for Pros is "What's your availability?" I've answered many of these requests and have received about one response back for every ten I spent time on.

T. is greedy with a non-responsive customer service department. Formal on-line complaints and/or disputes are ignored. T. needs Pros to function but it's a pathetic one-way street with their lack of quality control and more importantly, lack of professionalism in dealing with Pros.

Stay away from Thumbtack. They are definitely bad for your bank account and your peace of mind.

Stephanie Morris Girton
Fresno, CA

andyc196
3/10/19

This company will charge you up to $59.00 in the first request the client or generated computer lead, it is been send to you.

Many of this lead are non responsive and there's no way to find out is they are legit or not.
I think someone has to dig into, this business is a multi-million entity in less than 10 years, and all about scamming their vendors.

adrianas45
3/8/19

Keep away of this company, they are thieves. The price contractors have to pay for leads is to high. Now , they have what they call a "good deal" marketing your company, if somebody sent you a request, it does not matter if you reject the request without never contact the customer, they anyway are going to charge you, just, because the customer choose your company.
I do not know where report this abusing company, because, everybody know that the BBB is useless.

aaronj80
3/7/19

They used to be awesome and generate a decent amount of business for a fair price. Over the last 2 years they have increased their pricing dramatically..... Now its not worth it. They want $40-$70 just for a landscape lead. You are not guaranteed the job, that is just for the lead. Its absolutely ridiculous. If your really good you can get 40% of the jobs you bid, so if I bid 10 jobs I might get 4. So I have to put out $700 for 4 jobs if Im lucky. Not worth the expense.

bridgetg25
3/6/19

This company is horrible. Our painting business had an account & I was overcharged more than once, sometimes up to $75 or more for bogus leads. I didn't even have customer interaction. I contacted customer service & they won't do a thing. I deleted my account & will be contacting the better business bureau.

candym39
3/6/19
• Updated review

they DID Credit me $30.58 for the 2 leads I proved I should not have been charged for..

I am trying the promote feature but only within a small area and with select services... NO Suggested stuff... AND I send a advertisement to all the leads and customers in my profile. I have gotten repeat work without spending a dime..

“New Platform Terrible!! Price per lead skyrocketed, no longer matters if lead never replies!!”
2/19/19
• Previous review

Thumbtack changed their platform in November of 2018, Their price per lead skyrocketed for $3-8 per lead to $15-50. They no longer sent out auto quotes and they no longer gave u credit if a lead didnt reply within 48 hours. Now u paid no matter if a lead responded or not. didnt matter if u never got a valid phone number or address. they charged u for every single person who view your profile or asked a question. even with no info to give an estimate. The site was much better than home advisor when i joined in 2017, but they refuse to refund me for 2 leads that are both out of my requested area and out of my scope of work. I am also not licensed in the other county and it was 20 miles out of my requested travel area. STILL they would not refund my money. If there is a lawsuit I want to be a part of it.

danp4
3/5/19

My business was listed with this website and after I asked them to refund me for leads that they are sending as "customer requested to hear from you" and that "customer" never replied even simple thank you - I was told that I just need to wait... I waited and waited, never heard back from multiple (at least 15) leads... When I emailed and called customer support they were very dismissive and unprofessional, and very short in their explanations. It eventfully ended up with my account being abruptly deactivated without my consent... with all the "leads" now being taken away from me (and I spent close to $500 just to be able to communicate with potential "customers"). When I called again, I was treated very poorly, unbelievable that one business has that low level of customer service, it was like bad bartender on the other side), and explanation was that their "policy" does not offer refunds... All this was within 5-6 days, when I spent money, asked for some help in communication with potential "customers", told to be patient and wait, and asked for my refund just to get my account deactivated... Thumbtuck should not be allowed to operate business in 21st century. So shady, fake leads, rip off. You are warned, please be smart and stay away from them - advertise on google facebook or anywhere else.

luise53
3/1/19

I spend $300 every week on leads and getting not interested customers this's scam
Fake customers , I had not answers from customer and I set a budget for 300 dollars per week . And don't get any job

michaelb1748
3/1/19

I tried this service for 6-months as a pro and I routinely got bogus leads that went nowhere!
The leads were expensive and often the customers don't respond at all when you respond with a yes I'm available.
It's one thing to bid on a job and not get it, it's another to get zero response from a customer after an inquiry of your business.
Customer support was very non helpful and refuses to even credit your account for bogus customer leads! Very disappointing experience!

tessar12
2/27/19

This business was recommended by your site. They came out to my home and gave me a estimate for the work to be done. they required 1/2 down to start work. I paid them on the 8th of February, they scheduled the work to start on the 15th. Come the 15th I had not heard from them. I called the number on their estimate repeatedly and did not get an answer. By the 20th I was beginning to panic. I finally found their number on a business card that had become detached from the estimate and called the number. I was told that the man who was going to be doing the work would be at my house on the 24th and work would start on the 25th. now the voicemail

chuckh69
2/27/19

I was with Thumbtack for 6 years and was very happy with their service as well as the cost. Overnight they went from having a great business model that was beneficial to the vendors that used them to being completely worthless. It is really sad.

jh442
2/17/19

Don't waste your time. They have raised the price of leads to the point the only way to make money is get every lead that comes across. Miss 4 leads, which is easy to do with all the pros on thumbtack, and you will loose money.

sherylc61
2/15/19

Don't plan on building your business reputation on this website. As soon as you get established with reviews they will delete your account and tell you they currently do not advertise for your business category anymore. It happened to me. I have had my business with them since 2011 (that is 8 years). I had 10 - 5 star reviews and they just threw them out and deleted my account. I even paid for a criminal background check to just have my account deleted. They are a horrible business.

carlosc214
2/14/19

So I have been using thumbtack for the past 2 years with little issues. Because I have never questioned their billing. However over the past few month I have been receiving direct match lead which bill at more that double a lead I respond to. However these direct match lead only 2 out of 10 people actually contact you after you respond. Kind of like someone at thumbtack is generating false lead info to make $$. So today I open the app and click decline on a lead they wanted $52 for when the job itself would only yield maybe 200 profit and they billed me for an anyway. When I contacted them they said we'll refund you yet they do not refund you the money they only offer you a credit. And when I questioned the representative you told me that's our process and that's a refund. Know a refund is where you get your money back especially when it was fault do on their behalf and not mine I highly recommend not to use them

darinl16
2/14/19

If you're going to create fake leads.
Dont use the area from which the pro resides idiots :)
Your business has been built on the backs of what is " truly" the heartbeat of the country. You've unveiled over 6yrs. Remember you were the one who reached out to pros for information. The very information used to exploit us. I realized your legitimacy would run its course soon. Thus it has. Yeah exclude pros who's been around a couple of years but your ad space per area is only as good as the pros you retain. Sure you'll manage to attract the wide eyed new guy itching to make it. But hey, resilience is key. I started with one set of dishes and pans. As of today my first Venue is complete and my second unit is complete by April.
So.... kick rocks ;)

leok55
2/12/19

Build a company with them for over 2 years. Had 70 + 5 star reviews. Never did a job for a costumer he gave me a 1 star complained about me and my account get deactivate and banned forever. Zero warnings, zero calls. And they believed a guy over a business that's been giving them 3-4,000 a month. Don't waste your time to build a company and then get blocked !

alexanderp90
2/11/19

Worst experience ever, never do with them its a tonns of lead generation platforms now. Scam, never get the job, never get my money back

jayder1
1/30/19

HOW THUMBTACK SCAMS YOU. PLEASE READ!

A potenial customer is researching makeup artists for her 09/2019 wedding. She finds a artist/pro that she maybe interested in. She decides to send the pro message to ask"are you available"?
The potential customer enters demographic info and then...
Thumbtack prompts the potential customer to send 3 to 4 other pros a message as well.
This pop up message says "reach out to more pros just in case".The customer doesnt even so much as see your zipcode let alone your profile. But of course the non suspecting customer doesnt think twice she selects all 4 of the pros though she/he was only interested in the first one she chose.

You(the pro) gets the "you have a lead" message from thumbtack and you rush over and quickly respond. You get really excited since your the first one to message the customer that you're available.

However, you and the other 3 pros that the customer didn't want in the first place have been charged 20.00 to 40.00 a piece. The pro she did want of course is also charged 20.00

At the end of the whole transaction thumbtack makes anywhere between 80 to 100 just for a customer clicking an "are you available" button.

Please,please, please dont use this site. Please grow your business by using other legitimate business growing sites. Or you will be like me spending 300 dollars in two weeks without any business. I've spent a total of 15k over two years of using them. A complete scam.

jonw151
1/29/19

Thumbtack is Trash! Was a pro with them since 11/17. My account was deactivated today. They constantly send you leads that make you think the customer is trying to only contact you only to find out after you pay that they have sent that out to 10 other contractors. They automatically charge you and then you never get in touch with the customer. Out of the hundred times I've paid I've only got in touch with 10 people. I've built up 31 reviews with only one one star review that apparently they like to keep at number two even though I've gotten 20 reviews since then. They really are out there to hurt small businesses so I would not get involved with them. I always wonder why I've seen and heard nothing but negative stuff about thumbtack and now I know. And also that bad review I got was from a customer that I've never even dealt with or done business with and thumbtack wouldn't even remove it. I have a small business with two small children and thumbtack literally has taking food out of my kids mouth. I want the world to know and I hope nobody ever uses them. They even allow unlicensed contractors to be on their. so customers and consumers beware!

mirtav1
1/27/19

I hired this company for my original move to a storage facility back in September. They were suppose to show up on Thursday at 10am they showed up at 3pm. When the guy saw what he had to pack he said our move wouldn't fit because he had another move in the truck.We told him not to bother the storage would close by the time he came back. My husband had to take another day off the next day. The next day they came at 10am and packed everything what I thought looked pretty good. They charged me $450 for the wraps for the furniture which would be refunded to me in three months when I contracted them again. So I was forced to hire them again. I was dissapointed with the way they stacked the boxes in the storage because I had rented two huge units for enough room. When I hired them 3 months later I realized I was right. My china cabinet was scratched at the side and a big chip of wood in the front. The bracket that connects the top to the bottom was lost. Also the wood and screws to my dresser mirror were lost. The mover tried to blame me telling me he had given it to me three months ago.They also broke two glass shelves in my china cabinet. They then dropped a box of liquor which was carefully wrapped with bubble rap. Besides breaking 6 bottles they then brought broken glass and liquor into my house with their boots. Needless to say I was livid. When I started to unpack the boxes 6 of my china glasses were chattered. When they finished and I call he office that I wasn't paying the mover started yelling at me in Russian and refused to leave my house. He threatened with calling the police. I called the office again. This Interchange of calls took an hour before the manager spoke to him and told him to accept $100 and leave. Never have I been so insulted in my own home. I am a diabetic and my glucose was at 650. I will never recommend this company. They should not be in business. .

agatham5
1/25/19

Thumbtack sucks big time!

Shout-out to all freelancers - DO NOT FAll FOR THUMBTACK PREDATORY PRACTICES!

I have been Thumbtack pro for a couple of years. After trying to compete with overseas talent - meaning not getting any jobs, I decided to change my email preferences with Thumbtack.

I chose to not receive any notifications. The moment I did that they started to charge me for "automated promotion od my business" - never sending me any info about those charges.

I never knew about the "auto promotion", never send any quotes and never got any jobs.

Now, a couple of months later, when I discovered those charges, they refuse to refund the money the charged without my consent. Even the money that was charged less than 30 days ago (which according to their refund policy should be refundable without questions).

Thumbtack management are predators preying on vulnerable small business owners, who cannot afford legal representation.

Product or Service Mentioned: Thumbtack Leads.

The reason of review: unauthorized payments for non-delivered leads.

Monetary Loss: $245.

Preferred solution: Full refund.

I didn't like: Predatory practices, Scammed me out of 245 dollars, Misleading policies.

mitchk17
1/24/19

After 2 years I receive two "leads" or request to speak with me. I responded back and never heard back from the two "leads". I had 2 charges of $25.40 which I questioned with them and they were not budging on the charges. It is concerning to me that all of a sudden after 2 years and I believe they just had a large fee increase I get two questionable request to speak to me but they did not respond back to me. My card I had on file also expired almost 2 years ago and they still managed to charge me. No offer to give me a full or partial credit. I am now disputing the charges. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

jennifery68
1/23/19

I have been using THumbtack as Pro for 6 years now. It's more and more apparent that THUMBTACK do not care about Pros, even though we are the ones paying and helping them grow. We get charged for responses even though they are not a match and is outside of our service area. We do not get access to client information when they have all of ours. Many times I had the same person inquire with many different profiles. They say client safety is their number one prorioty but Pros are not protected. I have no recourse when clients cancel last minute, or don't respond. I have no way of contacting them when I paid for the lead. I am tired of complaining to Thumbtack. The last straw is when a customer filed a dispute about a invoice they recieved from me for a late cancellation. Thumbtack did not even follow up with me or get my side of the story and put my account on hold. First of all, there was no charge even made to the customer, why is Thumbtack involved and why am I not protected??? I am the one paying Thumbtack for these ridiculous leads! Thumbtack has poor business practices. I would not use as a Pro.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer -3

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

Helpful answer -1

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

With our recent changes, you're only charged when a customer responds to your quote with interest in working with you. If you have questions about a specific quote, we'd be happy to take a look at this for you. Just send us a message on Facebook with your email address and the customer's name.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can help you with this, Lora. Please send us a Private Message on Facebook with your email address and the pro's business name. You can access our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

Thumbtack?