Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

davidl1246
5/23/19

Thumbtack has earned a terrible reputation among service providers in that professionals no longer have the right to select clients for whom they feel they will be a good fit. Rather, Thumbtack now does the choosing, the result being high, unreasonable costs to the professional, usually being left with nothing to show for it but a lighter wallet. The prior system made sense where the professional had exclusive rights to bid on a job. Since the professional no longer has that control, Thumbtack gets paid each and every time a prospective client (regardless of how sincere their interest) clicks on a link to get free further information from the professional. Prior to the change, an average cost for a bid selected by the professional might have been about $3.50. Now, that professional can expect to pay $15 or more from clicks of people who may not even be a good fit. Thumbtack has taken away the initial direct communication between the professional and perspective client, which defeats the purpose for an entity like Thumbtack to exist at all.

robertl814
5/22/19

Have been a thumbtack user for a couple years. Used to have reasonable pricing at around $10 and decent leads. Now $60 if you reply to the computer generated "can you provide estimate"..Even if You reply yes I can and they don't respond back. This has happened 3 times in last 3 weeks. I have a good referral rate and a website. I get plenty of work without wasting time and resources on this now bogus ripoff site.. plenty of class action suits being filed.. stay away people

shawnh157
5/20/19

I had used Thumbtack for a couple years. It worked fantastic and it helped build my business. Then out of nowhere they raised their rates 4 fold. They started charging up to $85 just for a lead even if the client doesn't respond. I'm a small business and can't afford $85 for nothing! Now I get leads in Palm Springs, Los Angeles, Chula Vista and I live in Temecula!!! I have stopped using them completely.

gg129
5/15/19

We've used Thumbtack since about 2015. We only agreed to pay for leads we actually answered to. All of a sudden starting 2019 they automatically signed us up for some sort of a program for Tile Installation and charged close to $700 without our permission or acknowledgement. And we DON'T even do Tile Installation. By the time we've noticed these sneaky upcharges here and there its been over 3 months. When we called customer service, they ADDMITED it was their wrong doing but only reimbursed us for less then half the charges dating only 30 days back NOT what they actually STOLE from us. FRAUD, DISHONEST, SCAM is the only words we can use to describe this company! BE AWARE!

ks379
5/13/19

I am unsubscribing from their text messages due to the cost of leads. Here's a BBB link to complaints if any of you are interested.

fayh26
5/13/19

Thumbtack charges whatever they want for leads even if you turn them down they charge you! They also make their website extremely hard to navigate, so when you dispute a charge they do not refund. They have terrible customer service. They charge you for bogus client leads. DO NOT USE THEM and give them access to your credit card. They also send you leads that are not in your area or area of expertise and fight you on the charges.

aliw39
5/9/19

Thumtack will take your money for fake leads and customer service will never give your money back, disgusting way of doing business. And now they overcharging for leads like homeadvisor but they send it to 15 different contractors!?!?! They will keep bugging you with leads out of the state or 5 hours away from your location its $#*!ty leads also Make no sense who will travel to another state to paint a small bathroom its bulli$#*!.
Save your money and time and stay away.

azadm1
5/5/19

Thumbtack is a big time scam . I was with them for four years. I left my well paying job and started my own business with Thumbtack it worked well for a while and I had 187 five stars reviews. I was providing for my family with the jobs I was getting from thumbtack. Then they changed everything overnight. They got greedy. They started to raise their price for the fake leads. Before each lead was priced around $3 to $7 but over night they raised the price to $30 and in some cases to $85 . Most of the leads are fake and not only that thumbtack sends fake texts and emails to the consumers asking them if they are willing to take on a certain projects without any one present. I have numerous emails and leads like that from thumbtack in my archive . I gave up on sending quotes for the fake leads and I didn't send anything For two , three months then I realized that this scammers had charged me $380 for the quotes that I hadn't even looked at!!!! IF THIS IS NOT A SCAM THEN WHAT IS?

jiml332
5/3/19

I joined a couple of years ago hoping to get gigs as I am a mobile DJ, I only spent about $100.00 fortunately and never got a single job. I still have a couple dollars in credit, and get their spam emails that I just delete. Don't waste your time or money.

bettew17
4/24/19

Old Time Home Chores did a very efficient and professional job of spring cleaning my yard. They were friendly and courteous and reasonably priced. I will definitely use them again in the future.

judithq3
4/17/19

Larry calls quickly to set up appointments, shows up at scheduled time, spends as much time as needed to get the job done and charges fair, honest prices for his work. He has a great personality, and explains all his work so the consumer understands it. I would recommend him as a knowledgeable electrician and you will be happy you hired him.

You can reach him at 303 517-1319
Judith Quinn

briang369
4/12/19

Do NOT use this site. As a customer or a pro, it is just horrible and filled with bugs and overpriced generalized leads. There is now way to contact direct and chat service seems to be a foreign country. Highy recommend AVOIDING this site

sams602
4/10/19

I have been a member of Thumbtack for years. I have spent hundreds of dollars on leads. It's come to the point where they now charge $10, $20, $30 per lead and the 'customer' doesn't even respond. I believe they're farming out fake leads. Scam.

Then the refuse to give a refund because 'That is a valid charge and outside our Refunds policy since the lead is sent because it is matched with your preferences.'

What a smokescreen. This recent lead I asked for a refund, not only did the lead not respond, but the lead didn't even give me an option to quote on it.

Buyer beware

johne474
4/10/19

This used to be a great company, building up their business by having a functional online platform, fair prices and good treatment of professionals, very unusual in their industry and obviously a huge breath of fresh air! After they grew, they very gradually became greedy and corrupt. It is one shady move after another in pursuit of freeloading money from professionals. Prices for their services have increased about 5 times in the last year or so, I don't think we have had even 10% of that of inflation in our ballooning economy. Their latest scam, they change your travel service preferences without your permission so you get many irrelevant and unwanted emails. When you go back in to change everything to your own original preferences, they try to force you to do some promotion thing and essentially get on a auto-subscription set up even if you don't want to. They are going straight down the toilet and I have stopped using them for a while now already. There is no nice way to say it when a company tries to take advantage of its customers in these ways: Greedy, worthless and doomed!

noty11
4/7/19

Warning to all businesses looking for leads. Thumbtack is putting iut fake leads. I have test this theory. I responded to several leads with the least expensive quote. I had one person responded and they asked a generic question. I told them to contact me for details and to also provide me with their info. They did not respond back. Then I had the same scenario and they gave me a bad phone number. WARNING TO ALL SMALL BUSINESSES CANCEL YOU ACCOUNT AND FIR THOSE THAT ARE NEW STAY AWAY!! YOU WILL BE SORRY. THEY ALSO WENT FROM CHARGING $3.99 ALEAD TO A WOPPING $14-$19 LEAD. JUST TRY TO HELP YOU NOT LOSE YOU HARD EARNED MONEY FROM THIS GREEDY UNETHICAL COMPANY LIKE MANY MORE OUT HERE. YOUR CHOICE!

glendak16
4/6/19

I went online to find possible contractors to provide a service for me as a homeowner. Me experience was horrible. Their website does not let me contact the 2 providers they gave me and I could not respond or contact either. I ended up going on google and finding local contractors to get the quotes I need for the job I wanted to pay for. As far as I a concerned, this service was a total waste of my time and seems to focus on leading providers down a really deep hole of expenses that are not working for them

shelleyb83
4/5/19

You could not find a more professional group of people and work was impeccable would only use superior for any marble and granite work and will recommend them to everyone

marlind9
4/2/19

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT USE THIS APP IF YOU ARE A CONTRACTOR LOOKING FOR BUSINESS. THEY LITERALLY PULLED ALMOST $200 FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT AND DEACTIVATED MY ACCOUNT BECAUSE I AM APPARENTLY "LINKED" TO A BUSINESS THAT THEY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH!!! ONE OF MY SALESMEN USE TO BE IN BUSINESS FOR HIMSELF AND HAD HIS OWN PROFILE WITH THEM... AFTER HE STOPPED USING THE APP THEY CHARGED HIS CARD $147 FOR LEADS THAT WERE FAKE. NOT ONLY DID THIS PUT HIM IN THE NEGATIVE BUT HE HAD NO MONEY TO PAY HIS EX WIFE FOR CHILD SUPPORT AND WAS NOT ABLE TO SEE HIS SON FOR 2 WEEKS! I HAD HIRED HIM TO WORK WITH ME AND HELP ME SEND QUOTES, AFTER SENDING JUST A FEW QUOTES WITH HIS NUMBER ATTACHED THEY WENT INTO MY PROFILE AND STOLE MONEY THAT HE SUPPOSIVLY OWED THEM. AGAIN YALL PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS APP YOU WILL 100% REGRET IT. - Marlin Dunn (Dunn Right Moving)
P.S - I DONT EVEN HAVE A WAY TO MAKE INCOME ANYMORE BEACUSE OF THIS SCAM, PLEASE LISTEN AND DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AS ME. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THUMBTACK OR USE THEIR WEBSITE. THE MOMENT YOU PUT YOUR CARD INFO IN THEY WILL STEAL EVERYTHING !
THIS IS AN ELABORATE SCAM BEING RAN OUT OF THE PHILIPPINES!

jennac63
4/2/19

Like all of the recent reviews, I also take issue with the high cost of leads. We are now paying for a LEAD, not a GIG, which is outrageous. Some are not even real. Also, they used to show preference to loyal users with the "Top Pro" program. I've been a top pro for 4 years now. Basically, if we kept 5 star ratings and continued to be responsive we would be put on the top of the list customers saw. Now newbie providers that only have a few reviews, (not with a top pro status), are now higher ranked than I am. When I reached out to find out why I was no longer at the top I was told the list is now sorted by the 'QUALITY of the provider." HOW INSULTING!! It isn't even true. They are giving a higher ranking to the people giving them more money. Speaking of ratings, someone who didn't even hire me marked me as a 2 star. When I reached out to thumbtack and told them I have a perfect 5 star rating, please take her review down I was told NO. Thumbtack has lost sense of all business ethics. As this was my main source to reach clients, I'm now forced to find other means to connect with clients.

denam14
4/1/19

I have been with thumbtack for 4 years. When I first started it was great. I got charged $3 to $8 if I emailed a potenical client and they reached back out to me and we made a connection. I had no problem doing that. I got to pick what parties I wanted to bid on and it didn't put a hole in my pocket.
Now they completely rip you off!!!!! They want me to pay $75.00 to them, just so they can tell me someone is interested in my catering business and if the client doesn't get back to me then I am out the $75. WTF! Not sure why or how they feel they have earned $75.00 for telling me I have an interested client??????????
Then I was supposed to get a call from my profile manager or promotion person to answer the questions I had on why charging so much, let's just say that phone call never happened.
It is a royal pin in the ass to contact them, there is no phone number to call. This company has really gone to $#*!!!!!

catherines214
4/1/19

I own a handyman service and have been with Thumbtack for 2 years. I just got off the phone with customer service asking them why they charge so much for leads that never pan out. I asked customer service why they charge for a lead if I return just one email and they consider that contact a solid lead. I told customer service that I felt that being charged $75 for returning an email is wrong. They made me so mad that I ended up hanging up on them. I do feel that they are creating false leads just to be able to charge your account. Do not use this company if you are a customer or a pro. This company is a scam. The only reason I gave him one star was so I could submit this review.

michellel437
4/1/19

I own a home and office cleaning service and have used Thumbtack off and on in the past few years and found them to be better than HomeAdvisor and better priced. Then on average I would spend maybe $60-100 on contacting 6-10 leads and would get 2-3 jobs on avg.
Now they have this new system where you can sign up for where they will automatically reply to leads for you at a 20% discount and you can set your weekly budget. So I thought I would try it with a $100 weekly budget. They responded to 26 leads of the 26 4-6 responded back each response was from $42-17-6 each. So in 3 days my $ 100 was gone and to boot the most expensive lead that I actually met and worked for ended up being the smallest job in the end. So I lost money. The 2nd week was the same except i got no new clients. The 3 rd week was even worse.
So I turned off the auto service response. Then all of a sudden potential leads started reaching out from my Thumbtack profile and I was getting contacted that way 4-6 times a week and I had the option to pass or reply they price was still way more than I had ever paid in the past and I felt was way too much but at least I could verify they were actual leads. So I paid $43 for one job and acquired a repeat client. Over all I have spent $250 now and 2 clients. Its a crap shoot is how I feel about them now. They have become my last go to for business when before they were one of the first I would try. Now I get more business from Nextdoor app than anywhere else and that is free.

valeriel90
3/25/19

I have been using thumbtack for 9 years. It was amazing in the beginning. However, the company currently over charges for leads. In addition, they will do anything to get a contractor to spend money on leads. It's bait and switch. If you give them your credit card they will figure out a way to steal money from you.

michaelv284
3/23/19

Don't give them your credit card!!! I feel like this user unfriendly site that supposedly links services with clients is a ripoff. Charges are unclear and links are illogical causing you confusion about what youre signing up for. Charges are insane. You get charge in some cases for simply emailing someone back that has no interest in your service because the categories are inaccurate. I sent them 6 emails asking them to put a category for concrete floors / concrete polishing. Instead i got all these epoxy requests/messages on thie site that were a waste of money. Leads are insanely expensive and a lead is considered a charge if you simply send the vague inquiry a message. Clients are grouped into categories that are not viable clients and most leads are vague, like, "I want my floor painted". Never enough data to decide if it is wirth the $30 bucks just to ask them what theyre looking for. And, I swear they deliberately autocharged me. No way to contact them and these Millenials never email you back. It is very amateurish. I get more quality business leads from Craigslist than I ever did here. The other lead sites are just as cumbersome too. Summary: 1. Expect confusion with charges (rigged to be confusing?).2. Expect that leads are vague. 3. Leads are outrageously expensive and most are not quality leads. 4. Categories are not specific enough for niche high-end professionals. Thumbs down. Especially for the mysteriousness to reach a human and the unrealistic charges. For $5 per month use Craigslist!

jonl170
3/23/19

Never use this people they are a legal scanner we spend over $300 never get any real job every thing was faked

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer -3

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

Helpful answer -1

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

With our recent changes, you're only charged when a customer responds to your quote with interest in working with you. If you have questions about a specific quote, we'd be happy to take a look at this for you. Just send us a message on Facebook with your email address and the customer's name.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can help you with this, Lora. Please send us a Private Message on Facebook with your email address and the pro's business name. You can access our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

Thumbtack?