Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

richardp519
1/14/19

I was trying to find an editor in my local area and their site kept coming up with leads across the US. Not a good site.

elisabethh21
1/13/19

I wanted to leave an honest review about a business they promote: "Divine Dynasty K9" in Temple TX, But I have to be invited by the business and of course they will not do that, since they did a bad job. So, all you see on Thumbtack are praises from people who are happy or know the business owner. Basically the reviews are useless. I fell for a company on their site: "Divine Dynasty K9" in Temple and was horrible disappointed and lost a lot of money.

douglasr100
1/7/19

Thumbtack charges $22.00 for a lead.

My service call is $120.00. Thumbtack wants a 15 to 17 percent cut of the job.

It was fair at 2.00 or 3 at the most. Greedy people within Thumbtack make it impossible to use them as a referral provider. VERY DISAPPOINTED and shocked that they took the "lets screw the vendors" approach.

elim45
1/2/19

they stopped showing me the prices of how much it would cost to send a quote in my categories. when you get a customer thats interested they dont show you how much you have to pay to accept the lead until after. that is a scam i paid 22 dollars for my most recent matched quote. i had a customer message me on thumbtack that i did a job for 2 weeks before and they were trying to charge me for a new lead. thank god i recognized the name and messaged the person outside of thumbtack.

joanw126
1/2/19

I hired two different furniture assemblers and both times they lied that they were coming out to assemble some furniture for me and then someone else showed up who had no experience assembling furniture. The person who lies and says they are coming out thinks he can make more money if he pays someone else $7 an hour under the table and does not do the work himself. So they hire people who have no idea how to assemble furniture. The guy who showed up wasted 5 hours of my time, could not assemble the furniture, destroyed my new metal bed and then it was hard to get him out of my house. I had to have the original guy come out in the evening and assemble the furniture. He had been drinking and had to bring his young son with him, could not afford a babysitter and his son was commenting about how often his father gets drunk. In the other case the one guy showed up with another guy, told me the other guy will assemble the furniture and that he is the boss and runs many businesses. The guy he left with me had no background in assembling furniture. What they find out is the people they send out to replace them end up costing them more money than if they simply did the job themselves. And, you have no idea who is actually going to show up.

jeffreyt87
1/1/19

Thumbtack only will send leads to Unqualified contractors that are beginners in business.
Thumbtack will put contractors on a Black list if you have any legal history that is no worse than an unpaid parking ticket. Even if you have been black listed from Thumbtack, that means any member or relation of family or friends will be black listed also.
You may get lucky getting connected to hire a good contractor from Thumbtack however, Thumbtack did not do the work, The contractor did. Please leave your positive reviews for the contractor on Google and Not Thumbtacks website. If you cross Thumbtack, They will delete your profile and any reviews that you may have gotten.
Thumbtack has a God complex and they think that they have the right to play God as judge and jury to control the public decision making process.My daughter started her business with Thumbtack and some how they found out about our blood relationship and closed her account without warning or explanation. I had nothing to do with her business.
I am a Home inspector and she was a home improvement contractor. They are a Communists group that uses their own standard of ethics and purity that is impossible for any normal human to compete with.Thumbtack is a discrimination company that has their own standards of perfection that can not be maintained by anyone.
Home adviser has now adopted this business practice now as well so stay away from them also.

jimt211
12/31/18

These guys have no patience with a pro developing metastatic liver cancer. It is hard to contact these folks if you have to travel to Philadelphia for life sustaining cancer treatments.

andreap183
12/28/18

They started this new thing called promote and you have the option to accept or decline what is the point if you still have to pay if you decline the customer and never responded. If Thumbtack waves that one customer Infront of 4 professionals so to speak then Thumbtack walks away with $80 + and that customer doesn't respond I am out of my money. I want someone to start a Class Action suit against Thumbtack they are a rip off and I truly believe those leads are fake leads. I paid $100.29 for 8 customers and not one responded to me.

march169
12/27/18

I kept getting cold calls and answered. It was Thumbtack sales trying to sell me a service and I told them I am not interested as I don't subscribe to paying to use online platforms seeing as I have tons of reviews and use multiple platforms therefore I don't need to chase work. They told me I wouldn't be charged, sent a disclaimer to sign via email that I signed and I was charged 300 dollars. I was told they were giving 100 dollars to the top performers to use on the site to bid or use towards job leads. I called back and they said they'd deactivate my account and that would stop the charge. Apparently that didn't work. Now I am trying to talk to sales and they aren't helpful. They are trying to avoid refunding me. Really frustrating and aside from the sales department the company isn't o bad. I won't use their services after this ordeal.

jakes165
12/21/18

They don't provide protection for pro's
They will take customers side of the story and will not let u you show any evidence on you behalf. So if you want something done for free hit them up . Not good for your business . Stay away from thumbtack

despinat2
12/15/18

Called Adam from Gasteratos Construction. Came in and completed the job in a timely manner. This was the first time I used Adam and I highly recommend him. This past year had a horrible experience with a certain contractor and I was afraid, but thank God Adam was a professional and experienced in the work he did in my home. My son used him a few days ago and recommended Adam to me. Very thankful and will definitely call him again. After he completed the job, he cleaned up after himself which that was great. I didn't have to lift a finger!

lext5
12/13/18

This is complete sham of a company. Literally ANYONE can submit a potential job, and if you as a professional would like to send a bid, you have TO PAY! If said customer even acknowledges your bid? That money you paid is JUST GONE. I tried asking if I could be refunded for the jobs that I never got, but MY MONEY WAS TAKEN for, and nope. They just send you a very scripted message with a bunch of bullsh*t links.

markc723
12/10/18

I come at it from the professional service provider side. I used thumbtack for a year or so and in that time the policies have DRAMATICALLY changed. it used to be that if a "client" didnt respond within 48 hours, you would get a refund on the fee you paid for that lead. now you don't worse yet is that they have multiplied the cost of leads to about 10X! It is insane!

The worst part....are you ready for this?: is that now, if you read their terms an conditions, they monitor your email and text messages for "quality" - now i am not just talking about emails you send via their app - i am talking about YOUR EMAIL and YOUR PHONE. Basically they are invading your privacy and you must allow them to do it if you want to use their "service"

terrible experience - tons of wasted money.

STAY AWAY!

jays392
12/6/18

I used Thumbtack for a plumbing project. They recommended a contractor which I gave the job to. The contractor said he fixed it but ultimately it was not fixed and did a terrible job. I tried to reach out to the contractor to have him come back to fix it and he was unresponsive. I then reached out to Thumbtack who was of no help and claims they can't do anything. Thumbtack doesn't screen any of their contractors or have any way to protect it's customers. I have no idea why anyone would use Thumbtack as you're better off using Yelp or the Yellowpages. Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way and I hope someone can benefit from reading my review.

larryl291
11/30/18

I contracted with Sweet Pools (Chad), 512-677-8023 to resurface (plaster) and replace all tile in a large pool in August 2018. Cost - $13,786.00. I was assured the job would be completed with full satisfaction. During the re-plastering, I learned that Mr. Sweet subcontracted the re-plaster job out to a separate company. The plaster and tile work was terrible. Plastering was uneven, had ripples and acid was applied far too much in many areas now causing surface spotting and shadowing. Tiles were upside and some tiles down side. In addition, the spa light re-installation looks like a blind man did it. If this wasn't enough, all work area was left uncleaned and his crew damaged and broke my wrought iron gate latch and I had to arrange the repair. As of this date Mr. Sweet has not paid for the damage.
The worst contractor work I've ever experienced.
The work was so bad that I requested Mr. Sweet to re-do. Mr. Sweet REFUSED. In October I threatened a legal remedy and he still REFUSED. Two separate pool companies have been called out to provided estimates and provided opinions regarding the poor sub-quality of the work. They have provided written statements of the poorest quality work they've seen, which I am providing to my attorneys. I am having my pool redone and filing suit against Sweet Pools and Chad Sweet personally for the full amount above in addition to DTPA.
In addition to the above, when it came time for payment, he insisted for another $500 over and above the written quote citing that he miscalculated his original bid. As a reasonable person, I agreed when I should not have.
I've asked for the name and contact information of the plastering company used by Mr. Sweet and so far he has REFUSED to cooperate.
I do not recommend Sweet Pools and Chad Sweet to anyone. Integrity of the owner and work performed is the worst, extremely unprofessional.
I'm available for further information and comment.

orlandom41
11/27/18

Attention Roofing Contractors among others. Please read as the information that you will see below is the problem that you will encounter when working with THUMBTACK these days. Thumbtack used to be a VERY VALUABLE SITE for all of us contractors and I was a very LOYAL CONTRACTOR to them spending up to $500 per month. Every single time a lead for a roofing repair job or for a new roof installation was coming to me, I was responding within 2-3 minutes to almost all their leads as I wanted to keep very busy in the Houston, TX area. When I started in 2017 the price for a ROOFING REPAIR was $8 and the price for a NEW ROOF INSTALLATION was $16 dollars sharing this same lead with 5 other contractors.

Now these days they have come up with a new model of not charging you every single time that you quote or estimate a job but unfortunately not only they have astronomically raised their prices of a ROOFING REPAIR to $23 dollars and to $75 dollars for a NEW ROOF INSTALLATION. On top of this, now they bumped and are RE-SELLING the same lead to up to 15 contractors instead of 5 bringing now so much competition to all contractors out there who cannot even get 2-3 jobs per week. I have written to them in numerous times, have spoken to some of their representative and managers and NOBODY has contacted me or is doing ANYTHING to change their GREEDY policies.

In other words, what is happening now is that THUMBTACK resells to up to 15 possible Contractors a lead that may only cost them $10 each and that can easily be from propery owners who may want to have an estimate just to see if they may do it at a later time. With this new practice, check this out. Thumbtack is now profiting a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY from all those contractors that will not get the job, the Homeowners and property owners are now very happy as Thumbtack is referring tons of contractors to them that will most likely lower their price way down to get the job and us the CONTRACTORS that have to spend gas to get to the place, bring our business cards and brochures to inform homeowners and arrive on time under weather and traffic conditions, can't even get an answer from the Homeowner since he already has lined up more appointments with other contractors before making his decision.

It is very disappointing to see that a fairly smart company that was truly working with us contractors to help our businesses is now the MOST GREEDY company out there charging almost double than any other lead generation company out there. Not to mention the TONS OF COMPETITION that they are bringing to contractors like me when they are sitting in an air conditioned office and us the contractors risking our lives to provide an estimate on a roof in order to try to land the job. NOT FAIR...

Plain and simple, this is the story of what is happening to this company now. I just hope that perhaps a considerate and smart executive of this company can understand better what they are doing wrong and that can also understand that in order to have a long lasting relationship with small and medium size contractors like me, they have to make something that is fair for both parties and not only for them. VERY DISAPPOINTED AT THIS COMPANY.

ericar73
11/23/18

I paid off my account but my girlfriend still owed for job leads on hers. My account was deactivated and I was told it was a because a card linked to my account was also linked to a banned user. Girlfriend didn't know she was banned from the site. They won't say why and won't let me remove the card from my account and use different cards. Basically, girlfriend was "banned" (although when she tries to get her account activated, all they say is she owes money yet won't let her login to pay) and because we have a card we share, I am also banned from the site. What a joke. They are and always have been the biggest pain to deal with. Mind you, I used this site for a year, earned a high rating for my Services, and never had a complaint.

joes1008
11/22/18

They over charge for leads. And middleman Your jobs even with repeat customers. Their customer service is below average. The treat their pros secondary whn they make all their money off the pros. There sometimes look like fake leads also that are posted on their site

terryb327
11/20/18

WORST MARKETING COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS! They allow to many contractors to bid on one lead (10 to 12). They charge you every time a tire kicker asks you a question , not when you get hired. So they get a huge bundle if one lead sent a message to even 4 contractors. If you are not already using Thumbtack.com, don't waste your time.

jonathana120
11/20/18

The worst company. They rob contractors. Hope everyone eats $#*! and dies in this company. Heartless pricks.

kellye76
11/16/18

I needed junk removed from my backyard. I found Levi on thumbtack. He responded and followed up with me immediately. He was quick, efficient, and on time. Thanks for all hard work Levi!!!

abdu
11/13/18

People should not rely on any of the Property managers on Thumbtack. I have tried 6 of them and all of them have been scammers who are out to take you for every cent you have and then they just resign if you query any of there false expenses, or even ask where is your money they have collected from your tenants. Even before they start they end up taking your whole year's rents as repairs and this and that.

douglass151
11/13/18

I am a working DJ in the Denver market, DJMatau.com. This is my story...

Wow, just wow. I received the top screenshot from Thumbtack. You can clearly see in the top blue line
"Congrats, no need to quote!
Jenna O. has already selected you from a list of pros. Reply to seal the deal."
You can clearly see a $2600 price point.
The second screen shot shows in the line messages
"We are fun! Pick us!"
When I reached out to this client it told me I was going to be charged almost $45. Fortunately, I had hit my weekly budget, but I did not know at the time.
So, I reached out to the client. I wrote up a nice intro full of congratulations regarding her engagement and thanking her for her interest. I stated that I would need a little more info before I could draw up a contract.
Her response was,
"I have never heard of a DJ that costs more than $650. Thanks but that is just way out of our budget"
I was frustrated and I wrote back.
"Thanks, I just paid $45 for the privilege for this exchange. Next time you ask for an interaction know that the DJ is being charged. "
She then wrote back I didn't ask you to contact me. You reached out to me. We went back and forth a little more, but we remained polite. She then posted a 1 star review to my page and cut and pasted snippets of our conversation creating a narrative that was not the truth.
I contacted Thumbtack and asked for the only 1 star review I have ever received in 2.5 years to be removed. I showed them the evidence of our conversation and demonstrated with facts that what this client wrote was untruthful. Thumbtack refused to remove the review because it was about how the client "feel" regardless of the truth.
The other issue is that the client didn't understand she reached out to me. The messages I received from Thumbtack would indicate that I have a person who has been looking at my page. They are aware of the price you can see on the screenshot above. If I reply at this time it's a turn key deal. The truth is anything but that.
In the end, after spending nearly 5 hours dealing with customer service, I was forced delete my account.

tisam3
11/10/18

I wish I would have read the reviews before I spent all this money on fake leads. I've got 4 kids to feed and struggling to get this (cleaning business) off the ground. Some nights the kids had to eat Ramen Noodles because by the time I get to the store Thumbtack had taken the money off my card for a lead that never replied back or called.

alexp9
11/8/18

Thumbtack is an utterly irresponsible and reprehensible company that provides no information and takes zero responsibility for their contractors. It should be illegal for them to connect customers to short and long distance movers. Recently, the FBI charged 12 people for moving scams where these criminals will either a). take your stuff hostage and demand more and more money to return your stuff or b). steal your stuff and then auction them off. There are in between outcomes where your stuff will likely be broken by illegitimate movers who will also severely overcharge you. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration keeps a database of movers who are registered and insured with the Federal government. In addition, a U.S. DOT number is required by FMCSA for interstate moves. This is the BASIC minimum step to check for the legitimacy of a purported mover. Otherwise movers who don't meet this basic minimum requirement: a) may not be insured and therefore you may be mislead into believing the insurability of your goods b) may actually NOT be legal to carry out interstate moves and c) are NOT subject to any regulation because you can't file a complaint against them with the FMCSA.
Think about online websites that connect customers to service providers. When you sign up on eBay, you are given hints to how to purchase safely and how to sell safely. Thumbtack provides NO guidance on identifying legitimate moving companies. This is because their business model SUPPORTS predators who prey on unsuspecting or ill advised consumers. Businesses have to pay a fee to see your request and that's how Thumbtack gets paid. They're largely accepting of scammers and shady contractors because they get money, take no responsibility for your pain and loss when in fact, they should be legally liable for not doing background checks on contractors.
I was contacted by a shady person, likely a moving "broker" who gave me a quote for moving interstate. I was asked to pay an upfront 20% deposit (a sign of shady business practices) which I did through PayPal. The moving company name this broker masquerades under is the same name as a legitimate company in another state, which is not unusual as moving companies often do long distance interstate moves. Their phone # also matched the area code of the legitimate moving company (Flag 1 for misdirection).
I then googled the name of the actual moving company, who has a similar name to yet another legitimate transport company (Flag 2 for misdirection). It wasn't until I felt a sense of uncertainty that I looked further and realized that this was one of those shady illegal moving companies that hire a local penske/generic truck, bang up your stuff and possibly hold your items hostage and/or force you to pay "storage fees". They CLAIMED to accept credit card payment, but switched to PayPal or Venmo (Flag 3). I was able to resolve the issue through several calls to PayPal but I had to escalate the issue as they did not believe me and thought I was backing out of a moving contract. I later did some research and it turns out the invoice was illegal because they charged by volume instead of weight (google binding vs. non binding contracts and the legality of quoting by volume vs. weight) so had PayPal not stopped the transaction I could have sought back my deposit by other means.
I contacted Thumbtack and sent them PROOF with screenshots. The moving company has ALSO been reviewed under Yelp with complaints that Thumbtack referred them. This is 99% Thumbtack's responsibility and yet they don't care. This individual is still on Thumbtack with fake 100% positive reviews. There have been other reviewers stating that these scammers just change to another name on Thumbtack even if action forces them to close down one account. In the end Thumbtack proposed a solution to connect me to this shady individual summarizing that I was "not comfortable pursuing services." This is highly misleading and has NOTHING TO DO with personal feelings or being comfortable. There were CLEAR signs and proof their contractor was shady and illegal. Not only that, it is dangerous to clearly disclose to a shady individual, "your customer is uncomfortable doing business with you." Who knows if these individuals will retaliate or get revenge, GIVEN that my original and new moving addresses were given to them. I advise anyone considering moving to NOT use Thumbtack and instead use OFFICIAL and FEDERAL government licensed companies and most of all, do research. Thumbtack doesn't care if you lose your valuable belongings, get terrorized by scammers or lose money. They will keep a band of thieves if it serves them their dinner on a silver platter at the expense of your WHOLE LIFE.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer -3

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

Helpful answer -1

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can help you with this, Lora. Please send us a Private Message on Facebook with your email address and the pro's business name. You can access our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We love that you want to review the pro you worked with. This is a great way to show their potential customers your experience with their service. You should receive 3 follow-up emails that will request for you to leave this pro a review. If you haven't received these, please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 and we'll be happy to help.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

Thumbtack?