Thumbtack

Thumbtack has a consumer rating of 2.42 stars from 1,077 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Thumbtack also ranks 15th among Local Reviews sites. The most common issues with Thumbtack are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• I have call thumbtack customer service and they don't want to give me no refunds.
  • I had one person contact me about one job (that they then flaked on) and I was charged $57+ ....
How would you rate Thumbtack?

“Great company. Home solutions”

Nancy B.
2/14/20

My compliments to CHAILA who works for Americans chimney, gutters and roofing. Very personable and knowledgeable. Very hard worker. Pays attention to detail. Made suggestions to replacement and the best way to stack my gas logs for best flow. Thanks CHAILA. 2 thumbs up

“This is unethical, absurd and a heartless way...”

Brenda B.
8/7/19

After reviewing how much I have invested in Thumbtack comparing to what I have received, the losses don't justify the earnings. Many Thumbtack pros have expressed their frustration as well for the way Thumbtack charges its fees. Instead of being an App like Fiverr and other ones where the client truly hires the Pro, and the App charges through their own system, Thumbtack chooses to take the money regardless whether the pro gets hired or not. A simple reply from a client means a charge for the Pro. This is unethical and absurd. Clients don't know this policy and they are entitled to ask questions to the pros. And a simple reply means a service charge for the Pro, plus, with different amounts. Again, this is absurd and a heartless way of doing business.

Reviews (1,077)

customer service (65) money (296) job (387) business (264) company (231) phone number (31) work (347) 2 years (23) credit card (23) service providers (18) bid (125) customers (125)
andreas592
October 2nd, 2019
I am a housekeeper and was encouraged to sign up with Thumbtack. DON'T DO IT!!! I got one lead out of 77 that actually responded and pinned out , even though everyone knows that some people just will not reply to your messages on these Sites Thumbtack will bill you for EVERY Lead that fits your profile even if there is no correspondence between the pro and the alleged Client. I wasted a whole monthly budget on them , safe yourself some money, don't sign up.
jeffa276
February 14th, 2020
Worked my way up to the number one guy in Broward County Florida for pressure washing and carpet & tile cleaning. Then they implemented background checks. I made mistakes when I was a youth and served my time for it. Made a good example for people who think life is over when someone makes mistakes. Well they sure proved it that they would rather have someone go rot under a bridge than go to work and be a productive member of society like one should. Booo on thumbtack. I'm making it out here now without them and suggest against them if people ask.
cindyb675
February 19th, 2020
Horrible customer service the representative refused to let me speak to a manager. A representative promised a refund two weeks ago I never got it and they said I would have to wait for this representative to come in. Why would I have to wait for a representative to come in, I would understand if I had to wait for the manager but what? I've spent so much money and regret ever doing business with this company.
pissedoffe
October 11th, 2019
AFTER MANY MONTHS OF BEING A TOP TIER PROFESSIONAL WITH THUMBTACK, THEY DECIDE TO CANCEL MY BUSINESS PROFILE FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!! SOMETHING TO DO WITH ANOTHER ACCOUNT???? COMPLETE BULL ON TOP OF THE FACT I LITERALLY WAS HIRED OVER 200 TIMES WITH NEARING 50 PLUS POSITIVE REVIEWS!! COMPLETE BULL$#*!! $#*! THUMBTACK
donb440
October 15th, 2019
I don't like sites where you send off your personal info and blast it out to unknown people. But, Yelp was useless and I stopped using Angies list years ago because they hassle contractors. I've seen thumbtack for years and finally gave them a small, relatively-safe shot.

I didn't blast and just sent a msg to one no response "thing". It's a waste and ultimately wonder if it's a data mining site. It's not worth it. It reminded me of Home Advisor and I've never ever used that. Back to the drawing board.
keithc217
September 19th, 2019
I have had contact with the attorney general's office in my state due to the overcharges and drafting of my bank account at their leisure. I have had taken from my account the total of $414.78 for the time of 08-12-19 to 09-12-19. Out pf this amount I received one job and the ones I had bid were minimal. They are a rip-off. Do not give them your banking information. Do not use Thumbtack.
christophert200
November 11th, 2019
thumbtack did have a small company closed because they make more money then the company do I thought Thumbtack was a company that help small business grow. I thought it would be a good investment oh how wrong was I if you want your company to stay open STAY AWAY FROM THEM
carlosf126
December 27th, 2019
It used to be kind of good. Now it is in clear decline.
For a long time I've been asking them fo add the category "Latin" to music entertainment, to be able to receive more specific leads, but they haven't. It's been months whithout being hired through them.
On top of that, the way they charge you is not well designed and doesn't work properly. Many times you end up paying for leads that don't turn into hiring.
I don't recommend them.
aylinex
November 15th, 2019
Horrible for pro, they still money from you like crazy.
They charge for every customer who contact you, but those customers are shopping around so thumbtack get aprox 30 to 50 dollars from each pro they client is contacting..
Can you believe this????
Waist of money.... last 3 weeks i spend more than 350.00 dollars and i got only 1 client.
ikeilaw
February 23rd, 2020
I recently had an event and was recommended to use Marcia Dawn Interior Design, The service she provided was mind blowing, the moment she walked in the door from planning, the layout, color scheme and decor used was to perfection. Marcia made my event one to remember my guest was in total shock up on there arrival. I will be recommend Marcia to plan your next event you won't be disappointed she's what you need for any event your plan.
kevinw569
December 9th, 2019
The thumbtack pro system for contractors is broken, I MEAN YOU GO BROKE TRYING TO GET GOOD LEADS FOR BUSINESS
this system is broken
not only did you charge me for jobs I did not get, but I also lost 40 hours of time that I spent writing bid proposals and searching for more leads, can you please review the activity on my account I have been charged $171 for leads for jobs I never was hired for and I have only been hired 1 time to hang 1 piece of art, for total revenue of $75, something is broken here,
jasonl292
October 3rd, 2019
If you have no jobs at all and don't mind getting paid like less than 50 what you normally charge. Then this may work for you. It's super competitive and extremely hard to get jobs if you don't price it super low. A lot of fake and non serious lead which I can tell as well. Don't waste time with that.
shawns262
January 12th, 2020
These people will steal money right from your bank account, and not respond to resolve the issue! Try it, I dare you to prove me wrong!
chuckd65
November 2nd, 2019
THUMBTACK GONE BAD

1. Tripled the cost of leads. Terrible!
2. Introduced "Instant Match" that doesn't allow the Pro to see the specific details of the job, and then decide to pass or buy the lead. Not cool!
3. Now want our budget upfront. Intrusive!
4. Has terrible customer service. Horrible!
5. Only gives Pros an credit for future leads if customer doesn't respond to the Pros reply. Thieves!
christinef165
August 26th, 2019
I been with thumbtack over a year they charge all this crazy amounts of money per lead can you imagine how much money they are making per contractors a day costumers have no idea we get charge just to reply back to massages and if don't get hired you still have pay over $50 $70 dollars per lead.
tieshas2
February 19th, 2020
I have been using thumbtack for about a year now. It's a waste of money. The pros pay for everything and clients don't. Clients don't hire or intend to hire and the pro has to pay for that. It's not fair and should charge clients to post their listing and charge pros only if hired.
annag310
February 15th, 2020
Do not trust Thumbtack rep when they tell you that they need pros like you in your area. They'll take $300 to sign you up and in return they'll give you zero leads!!!
Btw. the $300 NOT REFUNDABLE!!!
They won't just let you about it!
Do not trust Alicia Elliot and Jacob Rasmussen! They'll say anything to get you to sign up!!!
kevink514
September 25th, 2019
They use bots to generate fake leads, automatically charge for leads that was never accepted or even replied to, then noone ever picks up the phone to voice your concerns.
koroshs1
September 4th, 2019
I work with Thumbtack app almost around a year , They send me different customer and because I have a small business and I just try to grow up my business I had a minimum price for every project but it wasn't matter the customer say no tanks or they just say I need the estimate !!! Because when they send me a customer I already sent a price for the job it means the customer know the estimate for the job they charge me for a fake customer and this is a robbery . I'm license electrician and I am owner of K&N Electric llc .
johnn564
September 2nd, 2019
ABSOLUTELY SCAM OF A COMPANY!! DO NOT USE THEM. THEY WILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARDS INDISCRIMINATELY AT ANY AMOUNT THEY WANT. SEND OUT FAKE LEADS TO MAX OUT YOUR BUDGET AND TERMINATE YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU DISPUTE A CHARGE REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU ALREADY PAID FOR !! I ALREADY SENT OUT A REPORT THE THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CA. AND THE BBB AND I SUGGEST EVERYONE DO
THE SAME. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE COMPANY. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.
rickd259
July 30th, 2019
When I started with Thumbtack,
They were charging less than $5 a lead and I was willing to pay that in hopes of converting that lead but now they've gotten greedy and their prices have gone out the roof and what they're going to find is that they need successful businesses like mine.
1st they raised their prices out the roof and then they started charging me for a Leeds that I haven't even seen yet.
The business I'm in is very unique and there's just a handful of techs. Eventually they will run out of businesses to overcharge when our business no longer needs their leads.
nancyb1053
February 14th, 2020
My compliments to CHAILA who works for Americans chimney, gutters and roofing.

Thanks CHAILA. 2 thumbs up
autumnb101
October 25th, 2019
Thumbtack is greedy. Their system is chaotic and senseless. It's set up to ONLY benefit Thumbtack and that's it. Save the money you would consider giving them and use it towards advertising literally anywhere else. Then tell everyone you meet yo avoid TT too.
tinag457
January 29th, 2020
i used to use thumbtack religiously for leads, but now they give leads to 33 pros instead of 5 like they used to which means way more competition and less likelihood of you getting a job. but they are charging the same price for a lead. don't use them.
sherrih66
October 1st, 2019
Pros will lose plenty of money using this site. They debit your card daily and before 3 days you will be out of budget with no jobs landed. You will not get any support from their team at all. Stay away if you don't want to lose money.

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

See more answers (18)

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

See more answers (8)

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

See more answers (6)

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

See more answers (2)

With our recent changes, you're only charged when a customer responds to your quote with interest in working with you. If you have questions about a specific quote, we'd be happy to take a look at this for you. Just send us a message on Facebook with your email address and the customer's name.