Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

justins159
12/13/17

I have used Thumbtack as a pro and as a customer and have had terrible results. The leads they send to pros are either fake or from price shoppers. The pros they have sent to me as a customer are less than reputable. Their pricing model is constantly changing, as is the way they request quotes from their pros. They take customer information and sell it and then take any customer feedback or reviews and claim the content as their own, preventing the customer from modifying or deleting content.

natashad28
12/12/17

I signed up for Thumbtack to get some suggestions for professionals to make a wedding cake. Everyone who contacted me seemed like they worked from home (which could be fine, but I wanted a list of bakeries--not risking my wedding cake on a quasibusiness.) Also, none of the people who contacted me gave me any idea on pricing. The bakery I hired did--they had set prices for their baseline cakes. The most irritating thing is, Thumbtack keeps emailing me to see if I hired anyone. I did, but their survey lets you only choose from the people they showed me. There's no "I picked a contractor outside of Thumbtack" option. Won't bother with this again.

patrickm212
12/11/17

Hi my name is Patrick Mock my company is PM Services llc I have been with thumbtack for 4yrs. At first it was awesome 3 to 5 tokens wich was like 9 dollars or so with only 5 contractors biding on those jobs. Wich interned was great thumbtack was helping the contractor. Then the quotes went to 20 dollars a quote wich I thought was high but fair seeing I was spending up too 100 dollars a day on quotes. But thumbtack was still a good partner as thumbtack was still looking after the contractor seeing how the contractors pays thumbtack, angies list, and home advisor. Now thumbtack is TAKING 45 dollars a quote with 10-15 people bidding on a job and if the home owner just reply with 1 question we are still charged 45 dollars or whatever the quote is priced for. Wich turns out to be more money for thumbtack and less jobs and money for the contractor. When I called thumbtack to talk about this SCAM OR PONZI SCAM!! I was given the run around with more question the deeper I dug into this matter. When I called back today at 1oclock I was given an answer that as the market goes so doesn't the pricing. I don't understand how thumbtack gets richer in this Aconomy and the contractor spends more with no jobs in return and the broker we get. This is a scam from thumbtack who steps on the little people and forgets that the contractors pays they're pay checks. This has to stop and I will be contacting the news about all of this. If your a contractor please do you home work before signing up with them because you will be spending more and making less.

radekm4
12/7/17

Hi I'm pro with thumbtack, I work with them around 3y.It was not bad to start with them compare to Very expensive Home advisor. Now! they make some changes with leads. before we got more chances to get some job, the send 5 leads to 1 costumer around ($20) per leads, not bed to take the job for that money. Now they send 10 to 15 leads to 1 costumer,!!!!!! I'm not was even review by costumer. So Im losing more money end more. Don't have any job anymore. Im in progress to find something different.

toddc55
12/1/17

I contacted this company after a friend that I work with used them and they did a marvelous job by looking at the photos. Well that did not happen at my house, the initial contract and signing of work agreement took place on June 6, and promised that the work would begin on July 31st (first lie) well that day came and went, along with all the others that I called about and complained that they need more workers, the project manager told me they had (4) 10 men crews that can do a roof in 3 days max. (Second lie)
Well the roof did not get started until 9-5-17 just days before a major hurricane was to hit Florida, I even question their ability to get it done in time with this storm coming. (Third of many more to come lies) Well the re nailing of the roof failed as the crew was overdriving the nails and half of them were not even hitting the truss, first failed inspection just a day after they started to work. The guy running the crew (Jose) got mad that he was busted on doing it wrong and walked off the job. I later found out he told his boss (David) that I threw him off the job. Really I am going to tell a roofing crew to stop working on my roof when a major storm is coming and that they could just leave it uncovered and not come back. (best lie ever, and the fact that David believed him and did not call me back to confirm story). Well they send Jose back to dry the roof in so that they can start on it in the morning (Friday), it rained that Thursday night and surprise the roof was pouring water into my house in three areas . (Note to company, don't send your best guy you have, that just got failed for an inspection back to fix his sloppy work) So no one (Joses crew) showed up on Friday to work on the roof. So to make a huge long story short, This has been going on for more than 2 months trying to get a roof re nailed correctly from (4) failed inspections, of which (3) are red tags. I have repeatedly been promised that the roof will get done and all interior damage fixed. They have to tear the first installed roof off and redo all the structural damage that was done by them (Jose) over nailing, overdriving, the nails and that half of the nails didn't even hit a truss. I had a structural engineer look at the roof both on top and underneath to assess the damage and even he said that this was the worst he has ever seen any roof done in his life. Plus just by looking at all the missed nails, he said the calculations would not support the 130mph wind velocity we have in the area of the State that I am in. So in other words if we only get a 100mph wind, my roof would come off. I am still being promised that the roof will get done and all the drywall that has fallen from my ceilings in my living room, kitchen and patio will be fixed ( don't believe anything they say anymore) we are now going into 3 moths of empty promises and more crazy stories worthy of an episode on Seinfeld. In the meantime the roof has constantly leaked water into my living areas whenever it rains. If you are smart run away from this company as fast as you can otherwise youre going to have more damage done to you house that they can fix. The worst part of all this is that Jose has done hundreds of roofs and you know mine is not the only one that he screws up. He was just caught on mine because we have a great building department in Plant City. can you image all the other housed that did not get a proper inspection done, what's going to happen to their roof when another hurricane comes that is above 100 mph. Poor families wont know any better and will have to get a new roof again. So if you know that Jose did your roof you might want to get a licensed home inspection done on the roof to prove to your insurance carrier that it is up to code. I know mine is not and the building inspector is going to hold them to doing it right. Be afraid of any work done by this company is up to code.

Tip for consumers: If a company specializes in insurance work only, they are in it for the money only and really cannot provide an acceptable level of quality as a regular licensed contractor can do. So be cautious of their business model compared to the other (licensed) contractors that do not do insurance work .

jamesl233
11/30/17

I managed to find the supposed client that posted a job for marketing strategy. Interestingly enough, this person owned a marketing strategy agency. FAKE job posting. This is the second FAKE posting I have discovered at Thumbtack. Now I need to figure out how I get my $35 back because there are no legit jobs.

keving158
11/27/17

I used the service once, next time I tried to use it my account had been deactivated. They tell me it's because I am associated with a company I have never even heard of. Then won't tell me how I am connected or how they came up with the connection.

kennethc90
11/15/17

Horrible services and customer service and makes fun of people with disabilities and treat you like cheap and scam you out of this of money very unprofessional

micheles96
11/12/17

I have known Monib Thomas as a life coach and counseler for 17 years. I have experienced his expertise in my life, as well as sent others to him for help. Ive never met anyone who was not extremely impressed with the guidance, help and recommendations he has provided. I would never hesitate to give him the highest reference and review possible.

cammien
11/7/17

They used to seem legit about 4 years ago.But now they are terrible. STAY AWAY. A waste of money to bid many jobs that seem suspiciously fake. I hope they are caught in their lies.

lisac361
11/7/17

I used to work with Thumbtack frequently until I discovered there was a lot of fraudulent request from pretend customers. The problem is Thumbtack has no way to determine at this point if a customer is real or fake so as business owners we keep the site going because we pay and in turn we often pay for fake customers. Thumbtack also changes everything all of the time on its business owners and doesnt notify us outright but their very sneaky so you will keep spending your money. Their latest thing is allowing fifteen businesses to bid on one customer. They used to only let five on any given bid. One week I spent $200.00 on bidding and while I would usually get at least four customers out of this I got None. I kept callling them to see what was going on with their system. It was only after I discovered by seeing something about being eight out of fifteen. I was livid! There a greedy company. Then on top of that on my recent bidding which i dont really do but out. The eight bids I did five cancelled their project supposedly. Do you think Thumbtack gave me my money back. No, they keep your money even when the project you bid on has been cancelled by the customer which is wrong.

randyyh
11/6/17

I have attempted to hire professionals for 2 separate projects and figured Id try Thumbtack. They claim you will get up to 5 quotes within 24 hours. The first time was within 24 hours, but it was one company contacting me. The second time, was 48 hours and again, only one company contacted me. And they clearly were not interested in helping anyway.
I recognize that technology and "advisor" sites are supposed to make it easier, but I have found the opposite to be true. Stick with research and talk to a couple companies and obtain quotes on your own. Thumbtack isn't getting it done.

carahf
11/3/17

I have been with them for over a year, spend money and got 2 leads and only because they knew of me anyway.
Thumbtack FABRICATE most of the requests and there is no way to verify the veridicity and seriousness of the people pretending to contact you. It is a well organized FRAUD. They read your quote and charge you $3,50
A multimillion dollar scam. Another PONZI scheme.
Look at the hundreds of complaints thumbtack has all over and you may realize they have set up a pretty good scheme.

aleseb
11/2/17

Going against their own Terms of Service, Thumbtack allowed a racist consumer to submit a racist complaint against me without me even by hired by that person and the Terms of Services strictly states that persons must be hired before one can complain about them. I let them know the person was discriminating against me and degrading me via text and they did nothing but side with the person. This platform is no good especially if people see your picture and you just happen to be attractive and black. People are so jealous of black people that it's disgusting!

davidr428
11/1/17

My experience seems to echo that of a slew of professionals who are fed up with Thumbtack's policies. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/59f8cfb0e4b0de896d3f2bf7

marij181
10/30/17

They have recently changed their software. I like to bid on jobs that no one else bids on. Except after I bid, I click on "Insights" and see that 1-2-3 other people bid before me. Their system showed "0 bidders," so I paid money to bid?
Also yeah, I have used it for several months and never once gotten any money back, when I know very well that the customer never looked at the bids.
Back to Craigslist.....

yunusy
10/27/17

I have been with Thumbtack for a while now and I am finally giving up. They made it worse with showing us now how much each quote cost that we are sending in and yes they claim to only charge your card if the customer responds and that is not true. They still will charge you. To be honest spending over $15 to send a quote and not guaranteed of the customer will contact you or not is very frustrating. I wish Thumbtack would be shut down at times or they change their practices. We should not be paying to send quotes and then get no response at all. Just a email when they look at it and sometimes that is wrong. They will also say someone looked at your quote and they really didn't. I have caught this at least ten times already with customers who have told me they never looked at our quote. They just did a search on Google and found us anyways without the help of Thumbtack.

I wish people would see they are scamming a nation and taking from those who want to be private contractors. They need Jesus in their lives. That's how bad this company is. They never resolve any issues so you will get screwed whether you are a customer or a pro because I needed to hire someone to do some work for us and let me tell you if you get screwed call them to get your money back then that's it. You were flat out ROBBED in your own home. It is very frightening and scary that there is a system like this to steal from innocent people who have families to support. Oh and any updates they make they never tell you in their terms and conditions. They state they are required to tell us in email but for the past two years I have never seen a email with updated changes.

People stop being cheap and use Google instead of Thumbtack. You will be screwed both pros and customers. Look at all these reviews. They are clearly true and warning America of this scam Thumbtack has run and claiming they help change lives but they really don't. If you read this then that means you should take this warning seriously. I didn't and still decided to do business with them and look where it got us. On here leaving a review about the hell we went through and how it really took a toll on my family and our finances. Robbing us constantly and providing us with false hope.

ginnyn1
10/24/17

This review is for Rudy Ruiz of Rudy's Painting in IL. I live near the Joliet IL area suburbs and please please don't ever hire this guy. When you give him 1/3 down, he doesn't start right away even though I told him I need this done within 10 days or so. This is a duplex for rental and I need it done within a reasonable period of time. He finally finished in just over 3 weeks which was way too long. Then when I found a few problems, he wanted his final payment right away before he would make any alterations. Then the check could not be made out in a business name of Rudy's Painting. It had to be made out in his name alone which is Rudy Ruiz. He wouldn't show me his insurance, wouldn't give me his business address, leaves his voice mail full so you can't even leave a message or get ahold of him until he decides to call back in about a week or so. Every question I had about the job he would become very upset. Now he won't redo some areas that have problems which are small until the check clears the bank. I'm afraid he'll never come back and do some touch up problems and some misc. things that need to be concluded to completely finish the job properly. He is a Nightmare to deal with!!!! Ginny in Plainfield IL

marcya3
10/22/17

Deep Green Landscaping scheduled work two weeks out and then never showed up. He said he would be here the next afternoon and never showed up AGAIN, nor did he call. So the work is now nearly 3 weeks behind. What a waste of time. Will be contacting someone else.

kimb1823
10/19/17

Excellent, highly recommend. Efficient, completed job in timely manner. Polite and great price. Would definitely hire again.

joycew58
10/19/17

Laura Blair of Pure Image Photos did a surprise party for me. She was excellent, everyone had a blast and she was very professional. I would recommend her for any venue you may be planning. She kept in touch with me right up to the day of the party. I will certainly use her again. Thank you Laura for a wonderful job. Joyce

natalier48
10/17/17

I purchased a large pack of credits as a wedding officiant. Our typical price is about $100. They started to charge 4 credits per quote, which was about $12 or more. Discovered that the majority of my quotes were unread or the person had hired someone within seconds of my quote. I also believe that employees of Thumbtack put out fake requests to eat up your credits and force you to purchase more.

purvib
10/17/17

WARNING!! Please do not USE this contractor- he is a FRAUD. This contractor ran away with my deposit of $ 4,166 dollars. The contractor never showed up, never purchased materials, never returned my deposit.
We had to have the cops involved and file a case against this contractor. He never showed up in court and we won the case in our favor in small claims court but still haven't received our money back. His company name at the time was Dreamz General Contracting LLC(name is Ken Stuart and his wife's name is Kazar Burke Stuart). PLEASE STAY AWAY!

karenb337
10/16/17

Won't be using thumbtack again. Had a patio poured with cover only to find out after the fact that the contractor isn't licensed. Used cheap material and wouldn't use again.

charliek42
10/15/17

When Thumbtack was just becoming known a few years back there were approx 5 pros for every lead.
Because we hustled to be the best we received a fair share of business which made them a worthy investment at $3 per quote.
Fast forward two years and the leads have not increased yet the pro population has exploded to at last count 64 pros per lead in my area alone.

We stopped receiving even simple responses to quotes quite some time ago and found out it was because the few leads there are get inundated with quotes at lowball prices.

Thumbtack makes it's money from pros sending quotes out yet even the best qualified and lowest priced pros don't stand a chance against 63 other lowballing pros for the same lead.

TT claims they limit quotes to 5 per lead which I know is a flat out lie because my neighbor signed up as a customer and received over 40 bids within days on a job.

Even if I hadn't known this then simply do the math. 64+ pros in an area are paying $3 per quote to compete for the same lead yet TT supposedly only picks 5 out of the 64 to allow to send quotes?
Right!
How do they choose who gets to quote or who doesn't?
The claim is absurd. This would mean 59 pros who paid for block credits aren't even being exposed to what few leads come in. No matter how you slice it the math doesn't add up.

The worst part of all of this is TT promises the moon and deliberately does not let the new pros signing up know what they are up against because then obviously nobody in his right mind would sign up.

As Thumbtack income from pros increases the pros themselves make even less because the odds get even worse with every new pro joining.

They remind me of a multi level marketing pyramid scam where you made money back when they first started but now nobody but the owners make $ as it's grown.

It's simple. A bigger Thumbtack equals more pro competition, more income from pros but a zero increase in leads.
If you are in an unusual high demand specialty type business with little competition then you can get some business from TT but otherwise you are simply throwing your time and money away just to make Thumbtack richer.

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

Hi Kam- We definitely appreciate your concerns for the professionals that use our site, and I'd be happy to explain. Thumbtack works as a targeted marketing system where pros can choose the customers they’d like to send quotes to, and they only pay when they want to send a quote. Instead of spending large amounts of money to advertise generally, our pros are paying to get their information in front of specific customers who are actively seeking their type of service. We also refund pros if customers don’t look at their quotes within 48 hours. This way pros are only paying if the customer sees their information and gives them consideration for the job. For your concern, Dave- When pros are removed from the site or disable their account, they should be removed from SEO searches within 24 hours. To address other concerns in this thread, I want to clarify that we do not generate fake requests, and we have a verification process that is both automated and manual to filter requests. If our pros find anything suspicious, we encourage them to let us know right away so we can look into it. We love hearing your success stories, and we appreciate those that have shared their experiences. We encourage any professional who is having trouble getting hired to contact us at the phone number or email listed above. We have a great customer support team that is ready to help!

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

With licenses, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. If you have questions about a certain account, please give us a call at (800) 948-2034. We'd be happy to go over these with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

Each business is different. We'd be happy to look further into this for you with more information, please send us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -. [Thumbtack Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

31 Photos for Thumbtack