Review of Thumbtack

Tel: (800) 948-2034
info@thumbtack.com

donb440
10/15/19

I don't like sites where you send off your personal info and blast it out to unknown people. But, Yelp was useless and I stopped using Angies list years ago because they hassle contractors. I've seen thumbtack for years and finally gave them a small, relatively-safe shot.

I didn't blast and just sent a msg to one no response "thing". It's a waste and ultimately wonder if it's a data mining site. It's not worth it. It reminded me of Home Advisor and I've never ever used that. Back to the drawing board.

pissedoffe
10/11/19

AFTER MANY MONTHS OF BEING A TOP TIER PROFESSIONAL WITH THUMBTACK, THEY DECIDE TO CANCEL MY BUSINESS PROFILE FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!! SOMETHING TO DO WITH ANOTHER ACCOUNT???? COMPLETE BULL ON TOP OF THE FACT I LITERALLY WAS HIRED OVER 200 TIMES WITH NEARING 50 PLUS POSITIVE REVIEWS!! COMPLETE BULL$#*!! $#*! THUMBTACK

amyc607
10/4/19

Thumbtack is a waste of money and a rip off. This is coming from someone who used Thumbtack for almost 5 years before deciding to walk away. They charge a pro like myself (I am a DJ) between $15-50 per "lead" when you sign up for their Instant Match service. Most of these "leads" don't respond at all, let alone hire you, but you still get charged for being matched with them. All it leads to is small business owners throwing hundreds of dollars away each week for zero results. Logically, this would lead to small business owners raising their prices - but don't do that, because Thumbtack has no shortage of vendors who low ball the market. $200 to DJ your 6 hour wedding? Sure, no problem! Stuff like that.

Oh, and if you choose not to sign up for Instant Matching? You won't get jobs in yoru area - they will only send you jobs that are 100-150 miles away.

Bottom line: this company got way, way too greedy and started gauging small businesses. Now, it's basically impossible for small businesses to afford their services (not that they care). DO NOT USE THEM.

jasonl292
10/3/19

If you have no jobs at all and don't mind getting paid like less than 50 what you normally charge. Then this may work for you. It's super competitive and extremely hard to get jobs if you don't price it super low. A lot of fake and non serious lead which I can tell as well. Don't waste time with that.

andreas592
10/2/19

I am a housekeeper and was encouraged to sign up with Thumbtack. DON'T DO IT!!! I got one lead out of 77 that actually responded and pinned out , even though everyone knows that some people just will not reply to your messages on these Sites Thumbtack will bill you for EVERY Lead that fits your profile even if there is no correspondence between the pro and the alleged Client. I wasted a whole monthly budget on them , safe yourself some money, don't sign up.

sherrih66
10/1/19

Pros will lose plenty of money using this site. They debit your card daily and before 3 days you will be out of budget with no jobs landed. You will not get any support from their team at all. Stay away if you don't want to lose money.

rachelk208
10/1/19

I submitted my project to 4 "pros" and not one of them ever got back to me, not even to say they would not be available. It was a severely time-constrained project and I had to scramble to find someone once I realized Thumbtack was useless. Plus, one of the people recommended for me to contact was all the way across the country, so not even remotely helpful. I will never try Thumbtack again for any reason and I will never recommend them..

jessical599
9/26/19

I have used "You've Got Maid's" services now for about 4 months and each time they've clean my house; I have come home to the cleanest house I have ever been in these girls do the absolute best job ever and I would recommend this company and those ladies to my family and friends because they are a very professional dresses! Managed & very Thorough at their cleaning, not leaving a single thing undone, they are on time within the time allotted and they are super friendly! Wich are 2 of my biggest Pet peeves!! and I absulutly love how they never leave my house unless it's completely clean I absolutely love this company & I will continue using them throughout the years to come service my beautiful home, thank you You've Got Maid's for giving me the best service ever

kaikilia
9/26/19

This article talks about how small business and individual service providers marketing/sales are encashed by lead generation companies.

kevink514
9/25/19

They use bots to generate fake leads, automatically charge for leads that was never accepted or even replied to, then noone ever picks up the phone to voice your concerns.

hankt10
9/24/19

Zero stars! If you are looking to advertise your business stay away from this company! This company lacks integrity, honesty, loyalty, compassion, customer support, respect, diversity, inclusion & partnership. I was a DJ service pro for 10 years with Thumbtack until my account recently got deactivated. They charge outrageous prices for leads using a product called Targeting. All you get is a name. That's it! DJ leads cost anywhere from $20 up to $50.The lead has no idea that the service pro gets charged when they contact a service pro using any one of the automated questions they have. Thumbtack doesn't want you to complain about their product. Thumbtack doesn't take service pro suggestions seriously at all! 10 years of making suggestions & not one of them were ever considered seriously. Holding hands & singing Kumbaya is what they want! STEER CLEAR OF THUMBTACK! That also goes for any customers considering looking for services on Thumbtack!

Tip for consumers: STEER CLEAR!

dorothyr69
9/24/19

I hired this Molina's Landscaping from Thumbtack to resod my property. He was to spray before laying the sod and do the landscaping. The company would then continue to follow up with quarterly spraying and stated he would take care of the lawn. The initial work was beautiful. Two to three weeks after the job was done several areas on the yard started turning brown. Tried contacting him and he would not answer the call. Called from different phones and finally he responded asking for photos. Then he stated he would fertilize. He had no problem meeting us and contacting me before we paid for the job but now we have not gotten very much response. Text and called him thus far again no response. Added photo and have others but file is to large.

jackieg129
9/20/19

First time customer need help arranging my bedroom they worked three in a half hours straight. I was I was happy with the work especially because I was sick and just came out of the hospital.

keithc217
9/19/19

I have had contact with the attorney general's office in my state due to the overcharges and drafting of my bank account at their leisure. I have had taken from my account the total of $414.78 for the time of 08-12-19 to 09-12-19. Out pf this amount I received one job and the ones I had bid were minimal. They are a rip-off. Do not give them your banking information. Do not use Thumbtack.

josephh364
9/15/19

prompt, respectable, took their time on my project and cleaned behind themselves, I strongly recommend this company for just about any project you are thinking about starting. They put together a flat screen tv rack, hung it just as I asked, I am completely pleased.

Mr. J. Hughes, Southampton
subdiv, Hephzibah, GA

donnies40
9/12/19

So I have been a customer of Thumbtack for almost three years with my home appliance repair business. Today I received an email stating my account has been suspended. That is after almost 3 years of paying $300 - $500 a month with them.
The drama started when I received a 1 star review on my profile. Mind you, I had 100 reviews of which 95% were 5 star, 4% were 4 star, and 1% were 1 star. When I received the one star review the Thumbtack market place trust and safety team contacted me by email about the review asking for any and all documentation I had about the job in question. I ignored the request as Thumbtack is a lead generation service I PAY for and not a partner in my business. They do not have the right to ask for nor expect to see my private business records and it would be negligent of me to release them to Thumbtack in violation of my customers expectation of privacy.
That didn't seem to matter to the geniuses at Thumbtack though. After ignoring their first email they sent me a second to INSTRUCT me to comply with their demand. They stated I had 24 hours to comply or they would "reevaluate" my account. So I responded to the email. I told them that I would in no way comply with their demand and that they were way over stepping their lane as I payed them for one thing - lead generation. I told them that once they sent me a lead and I payed for it that lead became MY customer not theirs and they are not entitled to any information between me and my customer in any form.
They then sent me another email stating that I had agreed to their "terms of service" which I guess they believe trumps the law and ethical practices of business in regards to the handling of customers private transaction information. I again stated that I could not and would not comply with their demands.
Today I received an email stating that my account has been suspended until I comply with their demands. How stupid are these guys at Thumbtack? Do they think that I only have one lead generation service? Do they think that they can arbitrarily position themselves into my business as if they have a stake in my company? Do they think I require THEM to conduct my business? They seem to have forgotten who their customers are. I payed them for a lead generation service. That makes me their customer. How do they treat their customers who will not let them entangle themselves in areas they don't belong? They get rid of them. They shut off their account and hide from them. They make demands they know can't be given in to and then stamp their feet like children when confronted.
Don't use Thumbtack. I have just lost 3 years of time, money, and reviews because they think they should be able to give orders to their customers as if they are employees. I do not work for you Thumbtack, you work for me. When you remember that you might stop getting these negative reviews about your service.
I am seriously thinking about getting my lawyer to review this as this has cost me a lot of time, energy, and now reputation and loss of income. Judging by the reviews on this site I'm sure there are plenty of people ready to do a class action.

Tip for consumers: Use another service.

erickat5
9/6/19

i will not use this company anymore i been trying this app out for a few day and with in that few day they have charged my card over $430.00 and i only got 1 job off of it they are making more money then i am NOT A GOOD COMPANY TO DIAL WITH IF YOU ARE A SMALL BUSINESS IT WILL KILL YOUR COMPANY

koroshs1
9/4/19

I work with Thumbtack app almost around a year , They send me different customer and because I have a small business and I just try to grow up my business I had a minimum price for every project but it wasn't matter the customer say no tanks or they just say I need the estimate !!! Because when they send me a customer I already sent a price for the job it means the customer know the estimate for the job they charge me for a fake customer and this is a robbery . I'm license electrician and I am owner of K&N Electric llc .

johnn564
9/2/19

ABSOLUTELY SCAM OF A COMPANY!! DO NOT USE THEM. THEY WILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARDS INDISCRIMINATELY AT ANY AMOUNT THEY WANT. SEND OUT FAKE LEADS TO MAX OUT YOUR BUDGET AND TERMINATE YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU DISPUTE A CHARGE REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU ALREADY PAID FOR !! I ALREADY SENT OUT A REPORT THE THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CA. AND THE BBB AND I SUGGEST EVERYONE DO
THE SAME. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE COMPANY. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

waynea78
8/30/19

They advertise no fees until a client responds to your bid. Then fake clients respond, they probably work for thumbtack and ask a question which means $25 is billed to your credit card. Never heard from again! Money grabbing rip off! Do not fall for this scam!!!!
Chef Wayne

yannip4
8/27/19

On Saturday 08/24/2019, I contacted Thumbtack in regards to a review that was posted that was not legitimate, and also had come from a customer on their platform. That threatened my staff, harrassed my staff outside of the platform and on the platform. I ended up having to file 2 separate police reports.

Ater calling in on the 24th and being lied to that they were going to resolve the issues, and take action againt the customer. Which never happened I than was repeatedly lied to through email by 4 different people. To than be told that they apologize and are glad that I reached out to my local authorities but there was absolutely nothing they could.

So in other words as long as they can take your money for leads, your safety means absolutely nothing to them at all.

christinef165
8/26/19

I been with thumbtack over a year they charge all this crazy amounts of money per lead can you imagine how much money they are making per contractors a day costumers have no idea we get charge just to reply back to massages and if don't get hired you still have pay over $50 $70 dollars per lead.

julianj38
8/26/19

I utilized thumbtack as a pro for over two years, and was a "top pro" all of 2018. I wasn't totally satisfied with the quality of leads but a good portion of my business came from them. Then suddenly my account is deactivated due to "strong links" to an account that had not paid a $17 bill. The problem is, I've never heard of this other account and their customer service couldn't give me any info unless I was able to verify the log in information. Of course I can't, IT'S NOT MY ACCOUNT. I've called their customer service numerous times but get no direction as to how to resolve this and promises that a "team" is working on it and I'll get a call or email back in 24 hours. Never heard a word back yet. It's clear they have no idea how this happened or how to fix it and are just telling me some crap to get me off the phone. I guess thumbtack has gotten too big to care about losing a measly few thousand a year from one client, but I'm pissed and severely disappointed in their garbage customer service.

kimberleec8
8/25/19

Their prices are reasonable, competitive, and negotiable. The staff is friendly, reliable and professional. The staff is knowledgeable about what materials to use for different projects.

richardk435
8/21/19

I have been with thumbtack.com for 7 years or so as a pro. At first it was good but over the last 4 years it has turned into a money pit and a hassle. The customer service for pros is horrible, theh lie they cheat the pros and I will be leaving thumbtack all together. I SPEND ENTIRELY TOO MUCH MONEY WITH THEM TO BE TREATED THE WAY THEY TREAT ME. THE PRO PRICING HAS TRIPLED.IN 4 YEARS AND NEVER A WARNING. TOTAL CROOKS NOW IN MY OPINION.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Thumbtack does not generate fake requests. When our professionals come to Thumbtack to meet new customers, we know how important it is to receive requests that can help them expand their clientele. We have a lot of customers that come to Thumbtack and hire professionals to help them complete their personal projects. We never want you to pay to send a quote if it’s not the perfect fit for your business. This is why you can view the details of each request before you send a quote and introduce yourself to the customer. James - I’m so sorry that the concerns you’ve brought to our attention haven’t been responded to in an appropriate amount of time, this is never our intention. It's important to us to obsess about answering our customers and professionals questions and concerns within a timely manner. We are a real company that can always be improving. You can read more about our company in reputable sources such as Forbes and the New York Times. If anyone has specific concerns about certain requests you’re receiving, we’d be happy to review them and see how we can help. Feel free to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we have an amazing support team that is just waiting to talk to you.

Helpful answer -1

We love to see that you’re interested in joining Thumbtack, Grace! Your party planning business sounds like it will be a blast. When it comes to having a license, it's up to each professional to determine what licenses are necessary and follow their local, state and federal laws. I recommend checking with your state to see if a business license is needed for your service. Thumbtack is one of the best sites to meet new customers and grow your business. Robert S. gave a really good explanation of how we work. You can sign up and receive requests for free, and you only pay us when you send the customer a quote. Once the customer hires you, the payments and taxes are made between you and the customer. This is a great way to connect with the customer and build an extensive referral network. We wish you the best of luck with growing your business. Have an amazing day!

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

Hi Kay, I’d be happy to answer your questions. When we initially started Thumbtack in 2009, we tried multiple business models. This included a commission based model, but there were some concerns. When professionals didn’t pay for each quote they sent out, there was nothing to stop pros from quoting as much as possible, regardless of if they were the right fit for the job. Paying for each quote encourages better quality quotes and creates a much better experience for customers. Like you mentioned, it’s important for us to get customers to try our site and continue to hire professionals. In the end, pros are paying to promote and advertise themselves to customers that are already actively looking for that particular service. S.G has an amazing point, and Thumbtack is a great introduction site. There’s a lot of potential to expand your clientele, but sometimes it takes some tweaking to your profile and quotes to increase your response rate. The goal is to create a connection through your profile and quote message, and we’re here to help you do this. It’s kind of like sending the customer a virtual portfolio of your experience, achievements, and reviews. I do want to clarify that Thumbtack does not create fake requests, and it goes against everything we value as a company. While Thumbtack may not be the perfect fit for every business, we strongly believe that we can help connect businesses with new customers and foster growth. If you’d like to give us a call at (800) 343-1710, we’d love to give you more personalized help or answer any other concerns you may have.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

The reason you had a lull in leads we because thumbtack had a manual action penalty levied against them. If you are not sure what that is you should google search it. The letter you received from Thumbtack regarding this was (as usual) not fully truthful. The letter does not detail the slimy tactics thumbtack used ti enhance google rankings in organic search returns. Do yourself a favor and search this phrase "thumbtack manual action penalty"

By Tyson K.

We like that you're expanding your options, Rebecca. Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. A lot of pros have met new customers off our site and you can too. You can see more information about how we work here: https://www.thumbtack.com/pros/how-thumbtack-works. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

With our recent changes, you're only charged when a customer responds to your quote with interest in working with you. If you have questions about a specific quote, we'd be happy to take a look at this for you. Just send us a message on Facebook with your email address and the customer's name.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

Hi Quyen. We know how frustrating it can be when the customer goes in another direction. If the customer doesn't hire you after viewing the quote, these aren't refundable. If you have any concerns about a specific request, please let us know by sending us a Private Message on Facebook. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We're sorry you're still receiving these emails. Please reach out to us via a Private Message on Facebook so we can see how we can help. You can reach our Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can understand your frustration with this negative review, Thomas. Please give us a call at (800) 948-2034 so we can look into this further for you. We look forward to speaking with you.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative

We can help you with this, Lora. Please send us a Private Message on Facebook with your email address and the pro's business name. You can access our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Thumbtack/. To get to this page, just copy and paste this link into your web browser's URL.

By Thumbtack-Support -., Thumbtack Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Thumbtack staff and other customers.

Thumbtack?