Scan computers

Scan computers

Scan computers has a consumer rating of 2.71 stars from 49 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Scan computers also ranks 49th among Computer sites. The most common issues with Scan computers are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.3%

No positive highlights yet

• Worst experience with a customer service in the UK and my entire life.
  • Scan Computers is far from the cheapest online shop for computer parts.
How would you rate Scan computers?

“All sorted”

Andy M.
12/3/19

Orig i gave a 1 star due to a problem but a phone call from scan and explanation and everything put right has led me to re-rate.

“Horrible customer service!”

V V.
7/7/20

Customer service is not exist at ALL. No one wants to talk to me and help with the problem. I feel frustrated for the last two weeks. Paid over £1000 pounds and have no computer for two weeks?! Never will buy again from this place! Be very careful with this kind of business called SCAN!

customer service (10) computer parts (3)
vv44
July 7th, 2020
haribb
September 20th, 2020
Thief's charged me for a 3080 even though they didn't have any. Scum. Now saying I've pre ordered it as they oversold it. Should be illegal.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it

emilyb588
July 31st, 2020
I wish I had read the reviews first as I wouldn't have used them. I have parted with £600 for a laptop and no one can tell me when I will receive my laptop. The dates on my tracking information are wrong and no one has bothered to get in touch with me. I have spoken o the company on a daily basis and no one seems to care that I have paid for a product that doesn't exist. I am now waiting to get my money back.
martinb491
August 8th, 2020
Spent considerable sum with this Company purchasing different components for own Gaming PC Build.
Once all built there was a problem with one of the fans not spinning. Cannot possibly know this until all built. Scan admitted that there was a fault. They wanted me to strip the whole pc apart again, find a box and send back the tower for them to either repair or replace and then they would post out to me again. Leaving me without a pc and parts lying around for however long in took. Surely the sensible and normal approach would be to send a replacement tower, let me transfer all components to new tower, put defective tower back in the box and return? Thats too simple for this company and far too sensible, its much easier to be awkward as then maybe the customer will go away? Not this one I'm afraid. Credit card company have been notified and now there is a charge back happening. I would have actually been happy to buy another tower and then return the defective one for a refund but with the totally indifferent and s**t customer service i do not think they would refund me. This company have been around a long time, they have sold many parts for computers that have no issues. But the real strength of a company is shown by how they deal with issues where is doesn't go smooth, on this occasion they get 1 stars from me, thats because i cannot leave 0
delythf
July 31st, 2020
We ordered a motherboard as one component of many that we ordered to build a computer. When we tried to remove the screw in the CPU unit to attach the CPU the screw simply spun. It could not be removed. There were four of us in the room at this time and the man with the screwdriver was being incredibly careful. Scan Computers only response to us has been to tell us we should have told them within 48 hours and that we must have damaged it ourselves. We couldn't tell them within 48 hours because we needed to wait for the last of the computer build items to arrive before we could commence the build. Only then could we spot the flaw. The company is acting in a bullying and accusative manner and has accused us of lying. Beware. Order **************558 Delyth
jaril5
August 4th, 2020
I should have read the reviews. The sold me an item with no retail box, manuals or warranty. Refused the return.

They have a typo in the company name. Should be SCAM Computers
alastairj
July 13th, 2015
I was advised to try Scan when I needed to buy a PC laptop to run some business software that wouldn't run on a Mac. (I used windows PCs for many years before settling on Macs and was not keen to return). On the phone, the technician seemed never to have used a Mac so was unable to compare. I tried to get advice and settled on a model from their EXS range. I have been disappointed ever since, with so many poor quality features. No scrolling feature on the track pad. No lights in the keys. A texture to the screen surface that interferes with the pixels to give very poor visuals. Ugly outdated interface and above all the shambles of Windows 8. I had received much more fair minded advice from PC World and should have used them instead. Scan gave me the impression of not understanding the market beyond PCs, and being genuinely unaware of the quality of the alternatives.
seanh311
June 27th, 2020
Computer came broken on day 1

Had to repair it 3 times for the same issue in 1 year.

On the third time, they accused me of water damage, even though it was the same issue and I personally witnessed the fault.

Tried censoring my review on trustpilot so I came here.
richardc1544
April 19th, 2020
Buyers beware!
They are using covid-19 as an excuse for issues that were here before the pandemic. Charging for nextday delivery when they know they cannot achieve it. They never cancel/refund instead they state it's too late. But your order won't be ready for weeks.
mattk180
October 2nd, 2019
Avoid at all costs! They don't follow the customer goods act. Received a faulty laptop which was collected by them. They have lost it and won't offer me a refund or replacement until they look into what went wrong! Absolute disgrace. Save yourself the hassle and shop elsewhere.
karolp14
April 29th, 2019
I see here a lot of negative feedbacks, and not too many good ones, I think people just not bother with saying anything if everything went well. I am with this shop for many years, I spent thousands of pounds for hardware in past 7-8 years, never ever have any problems, always delivered on time ( next day) always by dpd, always VERY well packed, never had problems with customer support, etc. This is my opinion, and I don't think it will change.
harryp135
December 17th, 2019
Honestly just stay clear of this amateur company.

So, to start off I ordered 2 products, a PC case and PSU on the 29th of November. It took them contacting customer support 6 times, literally phoning the warehouse manager and 11 days to put 2 boxes into one big box and send it.

Now, they sent me the products and lo and behold, the PSU is broken/faulty. Now I put in an RMA request which went smoothly, and then they got back to me telling me I "voided the warranty" claiming I had "physically damaged" the PSU. I did not remove any warranty stickers, nor physically damage the PSU, I simply sent it back to them how it came.

So yeah, if you want 11 day delivery waits when you pay for next day, dealing with customer service who give you the exact same CTRL + C and CTRL + V response, and then send you faulty products and then blame YOU, go with Scan.
frankr37
July 30th, 2014
Scan Computers is far from the cheapest online shop for computer parts. Everything was fine for a few years until I received a faulty component. Dealing with Scan's customer service was unpleasant. I had to buy again from elsewhere, while I waited for them to get the problem sorted.
miquelc
May 14th, 2020
The prices are competitive, I can´t deny that and that´s the reason why I bought my computer parts from them. I prefer to buy from a local UK retailler than giving my money to Amazon which doesn´t pay taxes but I´m extremely unhappy with Scan, I will explain why.

I bought computer parts to built my own PC after weeks researching the web, when I decide to click Pay to my surprise it said that it would be delivered 9 days after the purchase but considering the whole Covid-19 situation I thought, it´s ok, we´ll wait. As I was impatient I kept checking on a daily basis and after 5 days Scan was able to manage to pack all my items, this already looked bad enough to me and I was stupid not to cancel the purchase when I realised about it. Once DPD collected the item (on Tuesday), I had the option to have it delivered to my home on Thursday before 12 am for just 5GPB more, so I went for it as it was scheduled from Scan to be delivered Saturday afternoon even though I paid extra to get it delivered as soon as possible.

And when I got the package (1st May) is when all this nightmare started. Needless to say, I work from home and I recently sold my old PC so I did not have a tool to use and keep working as I really needed this so when it came, I mounted and notice that the PC case had the two legs from the rear broken in small pieces which affects the stability of the case and where the PSU is located so the airflow is almost no existent there. It´s a cosmetic issue which didn´t really stop me from finishing the build, firing it up and start working if I´m honest with you, but I paid 70GPB for a brand new PC case which unfortanetly came damaged so I emailed them to let them know.

They were really fast asking me for the information and some pictures to check the damage which initially gave me a sense of protection but also I worried as I was told there was just 7 days to return the item. Well... 6 days after I sent them all the pictures and everything they asked me, they write back to me saying they didn´t recieve the pictures (6th May). I have to say that between those 5 days I called them more than 10 times with no one picking up the phone, wrote around 3 emails just to assure me they recieved the photos and my complain and I was waiting for more than an hour for 3 times on their web chat with no one being fully able to help me and just keeping me in a loop.

Well, I sent them two emails with the images attached and also as a google drive link so they will not have excuse which seemed to do the trick as it just takes them a few minutes to get back to me with the following solution:

- Arrange a courier Collection the times are from Monday to Friday, 9-5pm.

- Dependant on the weight and size we can send you a list of local shops in your area including a label and you can drop the parcel of at one of the listed shops,

So the solution they provide is to basically send them the case and wait for a new one while I can´t use my new PC, great, just great! I got really angry at this solution so I counter them with two other solutions, I was keeping the case and they give me a voucher of the ammount they considered was correct for the damage and the time consuming for me fixing this issue, or I was buying a new one from them and arrange a collection the day after I recieved the new one so my work will not be interrupted.

To my surprise, just 6 days after (12th May) they issued a return ticket for the GPU and Wifi adapter as I made a mistake with both as are not the ones I needed and offer me a 10GPB discount for the case...
More than 12 emails, tons of calls, hours waiting on the web chat and all I got is a miserable 10 pound discount for a future purchase.

I want to let everyone know about their dreadful customer service and encourage anyone thinking of buying from them to think it twice because let´s be honest for a second, what if instead of a cosmetic damage soemthing else was broken and couldn´t work?

Tip for consumers: Stay aware of it, buy from other retailers like Box

andym440
December 3rd, 2019
lizn31
Liz N. – Scan computers Rep
HI Andy,

Thank you for your time today, we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

We are sorry that you have been mis-informed regarding the games promotion, your feedback has been raised internally to prevent this from happening again.

I have arranged to have these code sent out to your today, please check your emails for further confirmation.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards
Team Scan
chrisn239
December 29th, 2018
Took my £400 same day then passed my delivery to XPD a zero rated on Google delivery company with the worst but cheapest possible outcome for me. Even though I paid for Saturday DPD delivery and cut Christmas short to be home it's not arriving. Can't have a refund as they need to wait for it to arrive back which based on the reviews of XPD isn't likely at all. Scamming scum avoid this company at all costs.
hadim1
September 25th, 2017
They sent me a faulty motherboard, with a faulty ram socket, that is unlikely to come out of factory like that. Probably the motherboard has been repacked and sold as new. On top of that, they rejected to refund the return shipment expenses and refused to ship a replacement while they are testing the faulty motherboard, leaving me unable to do my job.
Worst experience with a customer service in the UK and my entire life.
Will never shop from them again.
jodic50
July 18th, 2018
Over 15 years I've used scan.co.uk multiple times.

On the three occasions there has been a problem the stores customer support was shockingly bad, the first two I put down to individual error, just a one off, but after this third issue it is clear they have a policy company wide to block and obstruct any post sales issue resulting in a return. The company wash their hands of the products they sell the minute they leave the store.

The first occasion was a decade or more ago, a disk they sold failed, it was before it became routine to contact the disk manufacturer. It took about 4 months for them to get around to sending out a replacement.

A few years later some blank DVD's were shipped, when I came to use them it was clear it was a bad batch, all 25 disks had a visual issue, and were faulty, despite this they insisted they only had a 28 day warranty and refused to refund.

The third occasion, two weeks ago, I returned a Netgear modem which had a serious firmware issue, not fixed after a firmware update, which they asked me to do. After updating the firmware didn't fix the issue - I asked for a return, they ignored me, and continued to ignore me until I invoked my 14 day legal right of return, on top of my right to return a faulty item, only threatening them with legal action resulted in a response.

They are simply crooks, if you item works, as it usually does, they are fine, but if you need to return something, well, just hope you don't if you ordered from scan.co.uk, and don't expect a new item every time either, this last item was already returned at least once as the box was cut open already.
laurar114
February 17th, 2017
I've called the costumer service to understand why there was an issue with the payment and I've been treated very badly, just because I asked to repeat a few times (as English is not my first language). I've been told in a very arrogant way, to pass the calling to someone speaking better than me. Now, if is the best costumer service this company can offer to a new Costumer, I know for sure I will never buy from them.
stephenc38
May 12th, 2017
I returned a faulty AKG wireless instrument set to Scan Computers 3 weeks ago. They don't deny receiving it as they sent it back to their suppliers. - They have told me that they won't refund me until they receive a replacement from their supplier. - What the hell has what goes on between Scan Computers and their suppliers got to do with my refund. - I have escalated a Paypal claim and they haven't responded! - Crooks!
Steve Cassidy
jamesc530
February 10th, 2018
Really bad customer service and extremely rude. Next day delivery is a lie, and dont expect an apology either!
matthews173
April 4th, 2018
Received parcel
2nd hand products
Refused to replace
Sent back and said ive damaged
Kicked off a massive fuss and now refuse to sell replacements to me
So have half a pc from scan and half from elsewhere
Absolutely useless and arrogant
Avoid at all costs go to overclockers.co.uk
jeanmarcl
April 20th, 2018
Twice i have tried ordering cards from them. Only to be told they will not have that card and if i want to cancel / upgrade to another card. (gpu) web site clearly states card is in stock when i bought it. It then takes 5 days for refund
mattk34
March 4th, 2015
Good company, used them many times to buy computer parts and they have always delivered next day. When I bought delicate things like hard drives they packaged them well with bubble-wrap. Their prices are usually the highly competitive too. The only other online store for electronics I'd use is ebuyer.
yvonnew27
June 27th, 2017
After ordering a motherboard I realised I didn't need I contacted before delivery advised returning. Returned in return time never used. Advised item faulty was the item. Sent out now I'd not taken it out of the box it was a straight return. Refused refund. Spent over 2 grand with company and made to feel like a liar the email team where very rude saved all emails the customer service team were to they said they confirmed the item was one sent confirmed and I paid delivery wasn't cheap. Told well I must of somehow used it made it fault then bagged and tagged it so it was unopened. As if I would even be able to do. Don't use I lost a motherboard and over 260 quid

HI Jason, Please check out what our customers think https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.scan.co.uk, you can also view our website here www.scan.co.uk. If you have any questions our queries you can contact us directly feedback@scan.co.uk

By Liz N.,
See more answers (4)

The prices, but the prices aren't even worth the hassle Scan provide, just pay £15 more for a product and enjoy the proper next day delivery and actual customer service.

By Harry P.

Amazon.co.uk with Prime, and Ebuyer.co.uk and Novatech.co.uk all have proper lawful return processes and great support.

By Andy M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Scan computers staff and other customers.

Specification + Service = Satisfaction
Scan Computers has been selling components, software and building custom PCs, workstations, laptops and servers from our state-of-the-art factory in the UK for more than 25 years earning us over 300 industry awards. The cornerstone of our business philosophy is 3XS: Specification, Service and Satisfaction. Specification means we only sell high-quality branded components in our PCs, no unbranded brown boxes here; Service means keeping our customers informed at every stage of their order, including a web portal and SMS messages; Satisfaction means we benchmark every system we build for 24 hours ensuring that they perform brilliantly and reliably, day in and day out. View our website, telephone or visit us in person to discuss your requirements and let us tailor make a system for you.

Business History

At Scan we’re all about three things – technology, people, and how we bring them together. For 30 years we’ve been driven by these three passions that run through everything we do.

Family added value
We’re like a family, so naturally we’re friendly, approachable and always here to help. Passionate about what we do, whether it’s tech, service or even just answering the phone. So if you do call us, you can be sure that we’ll always find the right person for you – whatever your query. And with a team of over 200 strong, there’s always an expert on hand to happily share their knowledge with you. From software to hardware to expert technical advice and care, there’s nothing we don’t know about tech – after all we’ve got hundreds of awards, thousands of positive reviews, so we must know a thing or two.

Gamer, creator or music maker?
Whether gaming, creating, editing or production is your passion, we’ve either got your spec, we’ll find it, or we’ll develop it tailored to you. From pre-built workstations to computer hardware and PC components, along with all the latest and greatest products and accessories.

Expanding our bespoke portfolio, we are proud to bring you Intel and NVIDIA server solutions designed to address the latest cutting-edge applications in today’s IT world – whether it be Deep Learning, HPC or 3D Graphics. We’re also offering a high-end 3D graphics virtual platform and advanced digital signage and analytical solutions too. Adding high performance systems into your business demand a network capable of supporting them – and we’re able to help here too. Our professional services consultants are able to provide advice on network design, security and compliance, working to recommend the best hardware for your business, but also ensuring it is deployed in the most effective manner.

lizn31
Liz N.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Scan computers?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.7
Have a question about Scan computers?