Scan computers

Scan computers

Scan computers has a consumer rating of 2.35 stars from 65 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Scan computers most frequently mention customer service, scam computers and next day problems. Scan computers ranks 77th among Computer sites.

No positive highlights yet

• Worst experience with a customer service in the UK and my entire life.
  • Scan Computers is far from the cheapest online shop for computer parts.
How would you rate Scan computers?

“Can't fault them”

Dave G.
10/13/20

Ordered all components for a new build gaming machine in two batches after asking for and receiving good advice on component compatibility. The ordering process was simple and straightforward, the communications were comprehensive and frequent, detailing each part of the order and despatch process so that I knew exactly what was happening at all times. The orders were delivered the following day on both occasions by a respected courier, were exceptionally well packaged and contained exactly what had been ordered.

“Worst service ever”

Steve W.
12/10/20

Ordered system parts 30 th Nov cost near £1000 I am a long serving business customer, so you think they look after you NO 10 Dec still nothing no emails unless it was me to follow up lie after lie, keep away from these con artists, canceled this order ask refund, funny takes 4 days to go back into account but took money same day, never in my life have I had such rubbish customer service they deserve to go bust never again will I use them, not even got any apologies, pathetic company scan you are.

customer service (10) computer parts (3)
alastairj
July 13th, 2015
I was advised to try Scan when I needed to buy a PC laptop to run some business software that wouldn't run on a Mac. (I used windows PCs for many years before settling on Macs and was not keen to return). On the phone, the technician seemed never to have used a Mac so was unable to compare. I tried to get advice and settled on a model from their EXS range. I have been disappointed ever since, with so many poor quality features. No scrolling feature on the track pad. No lights in the keys. A texture to the screen surface that interferes with the pixels to give very poor visuals. Ugly outdated interface and above all the shambles of Windows 8. I had received much more fair minded advice from PC World and should have used them instead. Scan gave me the impression of not understanding the market beyond PCs, and being genuinely unaware of the quality of the alternatives.
stevew1304
December 10th, 2020
richarda1315
January 8th, 2021
Brought an msi motherbroad witch was faulty when arrived, sent it back under rma and was told 3 to 5 days sent on the 5. 01. 21 they received it the following morning. 3 day later still no news rang them and told me still in warehouse waiting to be looked at. After was told they had not received it yet dpd delivered it. DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE. Was told will be over a week to get a replacement sent back Disgusted and angry.

Tip for consumers:
Do not use at all read reviews first.

daveg582
October 13th, 2020
vv44
July 7th, 2020
Customer service is not exist at ALL. No one wants to talk to me and help with the problem. I feel frustrated for the last two weeks. Paid over £1000 pounds and have no computer for two weeks?! Never will buy again from this place! Be very careful with this kind of business called SCAN!
maciejp9
December 3rd, 2020
I have purchased computer parts nearly 2 weeks ago. Parcel is not even dispatched yet. All I get is lies and misleading information provided by Scam Computers employees. Unbelievably disrespectful people and company. According to Scam Computers employees my order has been upgraded to urgent on Monday (30.11.2020)... It was upgraded to urgent status again day or so later... Unfortunately its still not dispatched (03.12.2020). It is something to report to trading standards... They should be closed down.

I was also told by Scam Computers employee (same employee who has told me a week ago that my order is in the same building and it will be with me in two days, which was last Friday, week ago, same employee who has told me that my order has been flagged as urgent and will be dispatched asap, that was Monday, beginning of this week). She now says (Thursday), she doesn't know when it is going to be dispatched. What have you been smoking there at Scam Computers?

Your response below is another joke. I have heard that at least 4 times so far. Yet another worthless information and empty assurance from disrespectful Scam Computers.

But hey, I am going to get a manager call... wow i feel so lucky! Why don't you get your manager to send my order out!

Makes you thinking who does all them positive reviews for Scam Computers. If you look on other review websites it has been mostly negative for good length of time.
haribb
September 20th, 2020
Thief's charged me for a 3080 even though they didn't have any. Scum. Now saying I've pre ordered it as they oversold it. Should be illegal.

Don't use it

emilyb588
July 31st, 2020
I wish I had read the reviews first as I wouldn't have used them. I have parted with £600 for a laptop and no one can tell me when I will receive my laptop. The dates on my tracking information are wrong and no one has bothered to get in touch with me. I have spoken o the company on a daily basis and no one seems to care that I have paid for a product that doesn't exist. I am now waiting to get my money back.
seanh379
December 17th, 2020
They gave me a faulty laptop, with many delays in delivery.
The laptop came broken the first time.
It was returned.
Then It broke down again, in the same way, and i returned it again.
They fixed it again.
The third time it broke down, in the exact same way, they claimed it was water damage.

I was a poor student at the time, I'll never forget how cheated I felt.
lom14
December 4th, 2020
Bad customer service. Money taken and nothing else happened. Hope it isn't an exit scam. I won't recommend and advice to stay away.
martinb491
August 8th, 2020
Spent considerable sum with this Company purchasing different components for own Gaming PC Build.
Once all built there was a problem with one of the fans not spinning. Cannot possibly know this until all built. Scan admitted that there was a fault. They wanted me to strip the whole pc apart again, find a box and send back the tower for them to either repair or replace and then they would post out to me again. Leaving me without a pc and parts lying around for however long in took. Surely the sensible and normal approach would be to send a replacement tower, let me transfer all components to new tower, put defective tower back in the box and return? Thats too simple for this company and far too sensible, its much easier to be awkward as then maybe the customer will go away? Not this one I'm afraid. Credit card company have been notified and now there is a charge back happening. I would have actually been happy to buy another tower and then return the defective one for a refund but with the totally indifferent and s**t customer service i do not think they would refund me. This company have been around a long time, they have sold many parts for computers that have no issues. But the real strength of a company is shown by how they deal with issues where is doesn't go smooth, on this occasion they get 1 stars from me, thats because i cannot leave 0
ak225
November 17th, 2020
We bought a laptop from this company. It started having problems so we sent it back. It's 90 days since and they have now broken the laptop unhinged in the middle. They won't fix it or return it or pay back the money for it.
Complete scam. I wish I had read the reviews before purchase.
grahaml79
December 23rd, 2020
Ordered a Next Level F-GT on the 16th, checked they were in stock, checked delivery estimate of 17-23rd dec so placed and paid for it, Christmas present so even their latest estimate was still in time.

Nothing from them since, so tried to contact via live chat, they don't have access for delivery updates and advised me to call, twice on hold for about an hour then eventually got through to Jake who was very helpful and tried to prioritise the order.

Jake gave me his email and direct line to keep in touch but his direct line doesn't work and he's not replied to my email.

I am totally fuming, on their website today (23rd dec) it says order today for delivery for 29th Dec, Ill be lucky if i get mine, paid for over a week ago now by then, can't even cancel it as it's a total nightmare to try to speak to someone at scan and gave up after being stuck on hold today for 45 minutes. If your too busy to fulfil orders then stop taking them.

It looks like Christmas is cancelled in our house this year, i totally appreciate covid and christmas delivery issues but I ordered based on availability and delivery promises, i had other options to buy from but decided on scan because they looked like a reputable company, lesson learnt.

Going to be one very sad little boy on Christmas day
delythf
July 31st, 2020
We ordered a motherboard as one component of many that we ordered to build a computer. When we tried to remove the screw in the CPU unit to attach the CPU the screw simply spun. It could not be removed. There were four of us in the room at this time and the man with the screwdriver was being incredibly careful. Scan Computers only response to us has been to tell us we should have told them within 48 hours and that we must have damaged it ourselves. We couldn't tell them within 48 hours because we needed to wait for the last of the computer build items to arrive before we could commence the build. Only then could we spot the flaw. The company is acting in a bullying and accusative manner and has accused us of lying. Beware. Order **************558 Delyth
markt910
September 29th, 2020
I have had to write this review here as Scan have reported my review on Trustpilot as being fraudulent and claiming I have not had this bad experience. A blatant lie (I'm waiting for Trustpilot to verify the details I had to send) that has now encouraged me to go out of my way to highlight this behaviour.

They took money for a 3080 and have given no one an exact time when they will even receive it. They've had my money for at least 11 days now. Twitter staff are dismissive, just tweet a link you and tell you to wait (after they took £772 and refuse to say when you will receive).

They are not reporting one sentence, five star reviews. But apparently a thought out and annoyed response is something they don't want the public to see. I just originally wanted some kind of acceptable answer on why they took that money when they had no way of supplying people the product, or a date when it will be received.

They are currently sitting on thousands of pounds of money that is earning them interest, while normal customers are left out of pocket. I've spent £2000 this year with them, then they go and try to cover this up. I have zero interest in dealing with this company again.

Edit: After communicating with the Scan manager involved in the social media side on a Twitter, they JUSTIFIED taking my review down. Completely done. Trustpilot have needs to urgently look into their behaviour. They've taken £1000s and zero apology or acknowledgement.

When I put these reviews up I had to sign to say this was a legit experience, and that a lie can be unlawful. By taking my review down the manager in charge is in effect calling me a liar. Do not use this service!
£772 down and they don't care.
jaril5
August 4th, 2020
I should have read the reviews. The sold me an item with no retail box, manuals or warranty. Refused the return.

They have a typo in the company name. Should be SCAM Computers
seanh311
June 27th, 2020
Computer came broken on day 1

Had to repair it 3 times for the same issue in 1 year.

On the third time, they accused me of water damage, even though it was the same issue and I personally witnessed the fault.

Tried censoring my review on trustpilot so I came here.
truthj3
January 17th, 2021
Everything about ordering from Scan is great until you actually expect to get the items you paid for on the day they were supposed to be delivered. Literally never happens.

Unfortunately this is the core basis of an online ordering company. Their stock management is a joke. They will sell you things as in stock with next day delivery and then email you casually to say your order has been delayed. Their customer service is impossible to get a hold of with hours of wait times both on the phone and on live chat.

Even when you do get a hold of them their answer is always "Well you can just cancel your order then."

Just order from Amazon if you want your items on time.
kurts158
October 31st, 2020
Recently spent well in excess of a £1000 with SCAN Computers on new pc components, including the new Intel Core i9 10850K CPU. At the time of order (end of September) Scan was taking part in Intel's promotional tie-in with the new Avengers game, of which the i9 10850K processor was listed as a valid purchase. The promotion runs from late August 2020 to late February 2021 (for purchases). After waiting a couple of weeks to get my Master Key code from SCAN, I called them to enquire when it would arrive. Their response was an email with the following: "... we cannot provide you an Avengers code as this is for participating order from the 19/10 to the 30/11..." which, according the promo page on their own site and on INTEL's is utter rubbish. I called again to inform them of their mistake regarding the promotion dates and was told a customer manager would call. They didn't. Instead they emailed right at the close of their day with "... this offer was for a specific timeframe and selected purchases. As such as previously advised we are unable to meet your expectation of supplying a code." Which again is totally incorrect based on their own advertising. Tried to contact again and this time... no response after four days and counting...
magdalenap21
December 16th, 2020
Horrible! Just RUN! This company will take your money and leave you waiting week after week for dispatch, giving lie after lie after lie

Do yourselves a favour and use anyone... anyone else. Customer services couldn't give a rats anus.
richardc1544
April 19th, 2020
Buyers beware!
They are using covid-19 as an excuse for issues that were here before the pandemic. Charging for nextday delivery when they know they cannot achieve it. They never cancel/refund instead they state it's too late. But your order won't be ready for weeks.
carlt201
October 29th, 2020
When the 3080 orders went up, I got one in my basket instantly and, after 45 minutes of page timeouts and trying to refresh, when I finally went to pay the card was completely gone and no eta on when I'd get it.

Thought I'd try again with the 3070 launch and the exact same thing. Managed to get the one I wanted in my basket, took me 15 mins to get to the delivery part then, when I went to pay, it times out repeatedly for half an hour. When it finally connected me again to the site, the 3070 was no longer in my basket and they were all gone. What an absolute joke of a site. Can't believe I trusted them to actually handle the demand better this time.
crim
November 9th, 2020
Please do not purchase from them, I bought a 3000 Computer, MSI, to receive it as absolutely unusabe as the audio is not working.
They offered a repair which would take up to 10 days (Crazy for a computer that is supposed to be use for work) and I finally got them to receive it back as a refund. They found a minor scratch on the computer and refused to refound it. In the meanwhile they want to send the computer directly to MSI without repairing themselves (which they proposed int he first place). This is absurd, as for a minor scratch that has nothing to do with the AUDIO I have a 3000 computer which is totally unusable for professional purpose. Plus the time wasted is incredible.
I will never advise to anyone having to deal with this, they convinced me to buy another computer from them as they knew the urgency, and then not repairing my other computer.

Avoid wasting money, time and peace of mind.
andrewp1258

jakek103
December 3rd, 2020
Absolutely astounding incompetence. I placed an order 2 weeks ago. Everything i ordered was in stock and none of the items I ordered were recent product launches. There should of been no issues shipping it, and the Scan Website (including the COVID-19 page) confirmed that I'd be able to get my order shipped the next day.

It's been 2 weeks. My order still hasn't shipped. The websites tracking has said Awaiting Picking this whole time. I've had no contact from Scan to myself, i've had to chase them up at every turn. E-mails and, support contact forms and other forms of internet messaging is ignored. The live chat feature times out before connecting to an agent, and you have to try the phone line dozens of times before you don't get a busy signal, and then wait on hold for about an hour for someone to answer the phone. That person will then proceed to be completely unhelpful.

I've been given many creative excuses over the last two weeks as to why my order can't be shipped. Ranging from: "The items you ordered had to be shipped from our secondary warehouse, so now we have to quarantine them for 72 hours before we can re-pack them for delivery". "We're behind on our orders because of Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas" "We're prioritising supplies to the NHS, so all our regular customer orders are behind" and of course "We still need more time to adapt our business practices to covid".

Each and every time I've spoken to customer service they have said they are flagging my order as Urgent, or Critical, or Important, and guarantee it will be shipped in the next 2 working days. It then of course isn't.

No other UK IT supplier is having these kind of issues, I know this because I ordered a bunch of different parts from 6 other suppliers and they were all sent within 2 days.

If you value your time don't ever buy from Scan. Try CCL, Aria, Overclockers, AWD, Novatech or Amazon instead.

Don't just don't/

Products used:
None because they aren't shipping anything

HI Jason, Please check out what our customers think https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.scan.co.uk, you can also view our website here www.scan.co.uk. If you have any questions our queries you can contact us directly feedback@scan.co.uk

By Liz N.,
See more answers (7)

Yes, try CCL Computers and Aria, I've never had any issues with either of them. CCL in particular have great customer support regarding returns.

By Jake K.
See more answers (2)

The prices, but the prices aren't even worth the hassle Scan provide, just pay £15 more for a product and enjoy the proper next day delivery and actual customer service.

By Harry P.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Scan computers staff and other customers.

Specification + Service = Satisfaction
Scan Computers has been selling components, software and building custom PCs, workstations, laptops and servers from our state-of-the-art factory in the UK for more than 25 years earning us over 300 industry awards. The cornerstone of our business philosophy is 3XS: Specification, Service and Satisfaction. Specification means we only sell high-quality branded components in our PCs, no unbranded brown boxes here; Service means keeping our customers informed at every stage of their order, including a web portal and SMS messages; Satisfaction means we benchmark every system we build for 24 hours ensuring that they perform brilliantly and reliably, day in and day out. View our website, telephone or visit us in person to discuss your requirements and let us tailor make a system for you.

Business History

At Scan we’re all about three things – technology, people, and how we bring them together. For 30 years we’ve been driven by these three passions that run through everything we do.

Family added value
We’re like a family, so naturally we’re friendly, approachable and always here to help. Passionate about what we do, whether it’s tech, service or even just answering the phone. So if you do call us, you can be sure that we’ll always find the right person for you – whatever your query. And with a team of over 200 strong, there’s always an expert on hand to happily share their knowledge with you. From software to hardware to expert technical advice and care, there’s nothing we don’t know about tech – after all we’ve got hundreds of awards, thousands of positive reviews, so we must know a thing or two.

Gamer, creator or music maker?
Whether gaming, creating, editing or production is your passion, we’ve either got your spec, we’ll find it, or we’ll develop it tailored to you. From pre-built workstations to computer hardware and PC components, along with all the latest and greatest products and accessories.

Expanding our bespoke portfolio, we are proud to bring you Intel and NVIDIA server solutions designed to address the latest cutting-edge applications in today’s IT world – whether it be Deep Learning, HPC or 3D Graphics. We’re also offering a high-end 3D graphics virtual platform and advanced digital signage and analytical solutions too. Adding high performance systems into your business demand a network capable of supporting them – and we’re able to help here too. Our professional services consultants are able to provide advice on network design, security and compliance, working to recommend the best hardware for your business, but also ensuring it is deployed in the most effective manner.

lizn31
Liz N.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Scan computers?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.4
Have a question about Scan computers?